Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1083 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer
3. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer May 17, 2017, 13:31 NewMaxx

Red Dragon had all sorts of balance issues and also had some significant AI tweaks as compared to the previous games. That might make it feel "off" for you and honestly although I own all 3 of those I've also played RD the least. The AI changes were supposed to make it more "fair," actually, but in general it can be pretty ruthless. In any case I liked EE's campaign the most (which bodes well for SD) and while the series saw continued improvements I think it's widely agreed that RD had crazy balance issues (but also more flexibility).

The AI in this game is pretty challenging - most people should be able to regularly defeat Medium with practice and patience, but it might get too predictable at that point. Novices should definitely stick to VE/E when first playing if not completely. That does offer some concern for the campaign as the difficulties for the chapters start at "medium" and go to "near impossible" by the last. You carry units through so that might swallow a lot of hours for the SP-oriented players. I will say SD has simpler mechanics and less micromanagement than the Wargames, which unfortunately is causing a lot of veterans to pan it and move back to RD (which hopefully won't impact developer choices).

The multi-player in SD is currently leaning towards Allies and especially A/B phase game-play although they are attempting to tweak it for more balance especially for later/C play. Likewise, it is to be balanced around team-play (2v2/3v3/4v4) rather than 1v1 which is an issue because again you get tons of whiners on the forums who compare units to units rather than decks to decks or, even more importantly, teams of decks versus teams of decks. In any case with 18 divisions to choose from there's plenty of playstyles represented if you can get past the "meta."

Borecraft Games on YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer
1. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer May 17, 2017, 12:29 NewMaxx

I bought two copies of this, one at GMG for ~$33 and another at Gamebillet for ~$32. Almost 60 hours in the beta on the first since then (purchased 5/2). I think it's one of those situations where people who have experience in the franchise have a leg up over newcomers interested in the genre. Reminds me of playing BF1 (I hadn't touched BF since BF2) where the 1000+ hours in BF3/BF4 really paid dividends for many players and it was tough to catch up with them.

That being said, there are plenty of options for team-playing which can be rewarding even for lesser players in multi-player and there's also skirmishes against the AI. Although the beta lacks the single-player campaigns, the expectation is 3 chapters of increasing difficulty in a more or less linear fashion (similar to W:EE rather than the more sandbox campaigns of W:AL and W:RD). For a bit over $30 to pre-order with access to the beta I think that's a pretty good deal.

Keep in mind this is "Normandy" and only contains that time frame. It's self-contained in that fashion which means it's really more of an elaborate mod within the game engine, technically, so they could bring out a Eastern Front game for $30-40 a year from now (or along those lines) so the staying power of a title like this is probably not very massive. It's not a Company of Heroes but more like an Assassin's Creed style release schedule, that is. It's a bite-sized RTT and should be treated as such, as the price reflects.

I'd be happy to answer any questions people have about the game including tips as the current player base (in beta) is fairly small and Reddit/Steam/Paradox forum activity isn't too heavy beyond the usual balance flame wars (although there are some amazing YouTube channels/videos out there for this game).

P.S. I vetted Gamebillet by going through their support channels to test their response and it was quick and excellent; I consider them legit

This comment was edited on May 17, 2017, 12:44.

News Comments > Dreadnought Open Beta
3. Re: Dreadnought Open Beta May 16, 2017, 14:31 NewMaxx

The game is decent but the new PVE mode (Havoc) is a PS4 timed-exclusive. Considering the PC build is significantly further along, that's more than a little annoying. If they want my money they need to stop playing f'n games with development like they have since...well, since I joined the testing eight months ago. So I guess we know what to expect from this developer. As it stands, steer clear.  

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI
6. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI May 11, 2017, 11:36 NewMaxx

Watson, load holodeck program alpha sigma lambda...  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
21. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2017, 22:33 NewMaxx

The console industry is an interesting one because it tends to use all of the traditional marketing tactics. Everybody remembers "razor economics" for example. The industry has been pretty linear for quite some time now to the point the product has basically become a commodity or appliance. There's a lot less mystery here than in the (far) past.

What they're doing here is price anchoring. Essentially, they are trying to get people on the fence (those who are not yet customers) to buy the cheaper models by making them look like a bargain versus the upgraded models. This has the added benefit of attracting cross-brand buyers (those who will own both Sony and Microsoft) as well as those just getting into (or back into) consoles. This is one of the reasons sales for the newer models are relatively disappointing. The entrance of the Switch was likely timed to overlap this market, too (the Wii also tapped it successfully). They're also trying to attract re-buyers who want to upgrade, of course, but long-term that will happen naturally as they progress to the next generation.

Of course there are comparisons to the PC market which is pretty apt; consoles aren't like smartphones. That's largely to do with software development times, etc., there's tons to say about it but strictly speaking it's a pretty well-directed market.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2017, 14:36 NewMaxx

Suppa7 wrote on May 10, 2017, 13:50:
SF ultra which is not really an old ass game can do post 200fps+ with ease with modern gpu's.

I don't play Overwatch but I believe even my 1080 can hit up to 240 at 1080p on that game. Not to mention a lot of competitive players will reduce quality for FPS anyway...anyway, being able to sync to 240 Hz is attractive and a lot of people like the space of 27".

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2017, 14:29 NewMaxx

Nullity wrote on May 10, 2017, 13:45:
Regardless though, that doesn't seem like a valid point to me, because with any higher resolution monitor, you could still drop it down to 1080p if you really wanted 240 fps but your system couldn't hack it at a higher res.

That's true, but depending on the monitor it might look like shit.

To be fair I think 1080p on a 27" is pushing it so there's that but some people prefer larger monitors in general. I could see this one appealing a lot to the CS/OW/MOBA crowd.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 10, 2017, 14:04 NewMaxx

Nullity wrote on May 10, 2017, 13:18:
Who still buys a gaming monitor with a max res of 1080p?

Also, this is a TN panel - no thank you.

*raises hand*

Matches my 6700K and GTX 1080 quite well, actually. Will be picking up the 24" PG248Q though. My budget isn't infinite. I don't think I'd like 1080p at 27" but it's a better option for some people.

First of all, you can't even get IPS in G-Sync monitors below 1440p. That means the cheapest affordable G-Sync capable monitor of any quality with IPS (PG279Q) is ~$750. Second of all, to get enough consistent FPS at high quality at that resolution (1440p) you really need a 1080 Ti, IPS or not (although the price drops $150 without IPS). At least for AAA, non-esports games.

Anyway I could argue this all day and night (and often do) but people have their opinions, some like giant monstrosity monitors but I prefer a tight system where I'll be getting 90-144 FPS on the regular. I admit I would prefer IPS - if it was available for 1080p. Buying a gaming monitor without G-Sync (assuming NVIDIA card) is pointless. I realize that some people may think a 1080 can drive 1440p reliably but maybe they have lower standards than I do, you really want consistent 90+ FPS to enjoy a monitor like this. You have games like Watch Dogs 2 where a 1080 can barely manage 60 there, Andromeda is in the 60s at Ultra (and not even true custom ultra), etc. These hit 90+ at 1080p which is amazing with G-Sync.

(also I should say a lot of esports types prefer maximum FPS and for example the 24" I listed above can OC to 180 Hz and 1080p generally offers higher FPS in esports titles all while being portable - for them it's the perfect monitor and very affordable; the 27" here is in the same vein with super high FPS the target)

Of course FreeSync is a hell of a lot cheaper than G-Sync so my points don't apply here completely but then again we don't even have Vega yet (which should be ~1080 in standard non-optimized games)

This comment was edited on May 10, 2017, 14:30.

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2017, 22:22 NewMaxx

Here's the related [H] thread for those interested.  

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2017, 21:48 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on May 5, 2017, 20:47:
"K" doesn't represent any word. The letter is used by Intel to identify processors with an unlocked multiplier, meaning you can overclock the CPU in the bios by just increasing the CPU multiplier.

This is correct. There is actually an internal reason for all the suffixes. H = high performance, HQ = high quality/performance quad-core, M = mobile, U = ultra-low power, K = unlocKed, etc.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2017, 17:34 NewMaxx

RedEye9 wrote on May 5, 2017, 16:55:
TLDR
Don't worry about it and just use it. For more peace of mind DON'T look at the temperature gauge.

Exactly. The 1700X and 1800X also had sensor issues (albeit a different problem). Actually, I recently built a 1700 system for someone and the temperatures were acting quite odd, but my own temperature measurements were fine. I still advocate stress testing and HWiNFO monitoring when doing so, though.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2017, 17:32 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on May 5, 2017, 15:11:
Yep, that totally explains why people who don't overclock see the exact same issue. I'm glad you figured that out for them.

I was talking about in general, not this specific issue. Besides, this has long been discussed on [H]. For the record, Ryzen 1700X and 1800X also had a sensor issue, different problem though.

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2017, 14:58 NewMaxx

edaciousx wrote on May 5, 2017, 14:44:
Good points... I am by far not an overclocking guru, I just used the basic multiplier settings in bios to get a few extra mhz.

I just recently upgraded to a i7 7700k and I noticed the temperature issues as well, they jump from 60 to 90 for a flash second and then drop down to 70s.... I have one of those giant heat sinks on and im not even over clocking.

Do you recommend I toss the giant heat sink and go water cooled for the i7 7700k?Even though I'm not OCing?

It's very easy to overclock these days, the problem is people post unsubstantiated results and then newcomers expect to get the same and come away disappointed or damage their hardware in the long-term. If you take your time and set responsible limits (and maybe do some research) it's pretty straightforward. The nuances are often bypassed automatically by motherboards these days (e.g., disabling turbo when overclocking) and some even set voltage/LLC for you. I suggest people just focus on reasonable limits and use proper testing. The recent AMD Ryzen OC video explained the general procedure (regardless of platform) pretty well.

Giant heat sinks are fine, it's just people use them as an excuse to push higher voltages when they are really about efficiency (more consistent cooling), having the option to be quieter (larger fans are quieter), etc. Water cooling these days is very attractive and actually does help somewhat on the bottleneck but for the general user it's more about reducing the distance to pull away heat and that helps you keep more reasonable temperatures per voltage which increases longevity and gives you a little more flexibility in overclocking (more voltage means more noise and higher temps which can lead to instability, so water can actually boost your volt/thermal cap).

The temp jumps are also seen on the 6700K to some extent and that's because of how power is managed on the chip (which is why I advocate really stressing them to get a feel for max temps) and also many CPU fans will throttle with temperature which causes a less consistent temperature curve. It's quite normal/fine to hit 70s with that and generally when overclocking this will be adjusted for if you don't go crazy (which again too many people do). As for just pushing the multi (and voltage/LLC, or let the mobo do it), that's the way to go, yeah, chips vary in quality but really I don't see 4.5+ as an issue. As for the unexpectedly higher temps often seen that goes back to the fact Intel uses pretty terrible TIM on these chips (which is why many people de-lid).

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 5, 2017, 14:25 NewMaxx

The truth is people don't overclock properly. They push the voltages and clocks way beyond where you should be for their cooling, they use ridiculous air coolers when the thermal bottleneck is at the die, and they don't stress test properly.

I'm sitting with a 6700K at 4.4 GHz and 1.32V. That's proper. Yet you will see everybody and their dog claiming 4.6 at 1.275 (but push 1.4 for 4.7-4.8) with regular air cooling. First, I'm using a H212, which isn't high-end air cooling, and people at that spot shouldn't be dreaming of 4.6. Second, your system could be stable at way lower voltages if you don't test AVX/AVX2/FMA3 with real stress (Prime95). Case in point: Anandtech's table for the 7700K shows that AVX needs an offset of 200-300 MHz when overclocking to meet the same stability and temps. The recent video of the AMD guy overclocking has him plainly stating to use Prime95, too. Prime95 can add 10C over other tests on top of that - compensating for these temperature "spikes" Intel has on their 7700Ks. Lastly, you will degrade your chips past about 1.35V on air and 1.40V on water, although most of these guys upgrade every time something new comes along and pawn off the old stuff. This is even more true as cores go up, sources for this include guys at [H] having degradation on many of their chips at home plus the fact Intel even gives a maximum safe voltage table. The temperature bottleneck, additionally, is why so many people "delid" their CPUs to get far better temperatures. Tossing a giant air cooler on a non-delidded chip is pointless. Want to test? Run Prime95 for an hour and touch your giant heatsink...it won't even be warm.

Okay, rant over, sorry guys.

(for the record, this applies to Ryzen, too, so the guys advocating 1.40V to get that extra 100 MHz are not doing you a service - don't go over 1.35V on air with 14nm; also, if my personal voltage seems high to you, consider I need a chip stable in normal conditions for all tests - I've seen as much as a .05V differential between x264 stable and Blend stable; also, as an example of good overclocking, my 2500K at 4.5 GHz - albeit stable at 4.6 but I wanted overhead for long-term use - and <1.35V still passes Prime with the original cooler/paste at same temps six years later)

This comment was edited on May 5, 2017, 14:44.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Apr 30, 2017, 23:03 NewMaxx

Not really surprising after the beta, which showed a profound emphasis on multi-player gameplay with MOBA leanings (at least IMHO).  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 30, 2017, 17:58 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Apr 30, 2017, 16:08:
For those that did, these are pretty robust devices. If you bought one a few years ago, it still works for the vast majority of people.

Very true, furthermore the prices on them haven't exactly gone down. Amazon bullies the market and pushes for improvements to help keep the price up (despite bundled "special offers"). My first was a Nook Simple Touch, on sale for $50, very many years ago and I've since picked up a "New (other)" Nook GlowLight Plus for $75 off eBay. The first still works, the screen was just going (albeit replaceable but it was time for something with a light). Second works great and I could've gotten it cheaper if I waited on the timing.

Meanwhile a Paperwhite is $119.99 retail WITH SO (+$20 to remove I believe). For basic f'n hardware? Ridiculous...oh right I could get a Prime deal or something (like I want to be saddled with yet another recurring cost) and sink into their ridiculous ecosystem (which rightly got successfully sued for making purchases a little too easy). Yes, let me fill the coffers of a man who runs WaPo. /s

Getting off subject though but the book and ebook markets have been insane for a while now and it's difficult to avoid what amounts to a racket.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins
3. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 21, 2017, 19:29 NewMaxx

Definitely seems geared towards multiplayer when you see what they did with the cover system.  

News Comments > KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors
21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 21:30 NewMaxx

Think I had my fill of ARPGs...The Division settled that for me.  

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
52. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 17:13 NewMaxx

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 16:51:
I feel like there's a Billy Madison quote in response to how badly you missed the point.

"what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
30. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 13:00 NewMaxx

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 12:49:
I like the example of Watch Dogs 2.

Not a bad example. I always took WD2 as being tongue-in-cheek, not quite on the level of Saint's Row but definitely in that direction, which a lot of people complained about but I actually thought was a bit appropriate. People assume its bit of ridiculousness was equivalent to satire or ridicule but in actuality I think that's a better approach given how much weight people give to some of these issues - it doesn't make it silly, it just makes it a non-issue, which is the point. It's better for people to recognize a common cause than to try and pretend that our individual differences define us in some existential way.

1083 Comments. 55 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo