Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 940 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
17. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 14, 2016, 18:27 NewMaxx

Russia has influenced every modern U.S. election. Technology is besides the point. To the contrary, spycraft was borne of social engineering. The U.S. and especially the CIA has meddled in numerous political battlegrounds in other states and the latter has often acted as counter-intelligence, as well. The fact it's all of a sudden hashtag-worthy where you have people talking about "rogue elements" of the FBI only speaks to the reality that everything is hunky-dory until the candidate all the money was behind loses. Then you pull a "Plan B" and the true elements come out of the woodwork. If you're willing to consider a conspiracy of that magnitude to get Trump elected then I fail to see how you can ignore Hillary's security mis-steps, Pizzagate, or any other "ridiculous" theory. Then again, hypocrisy is a dish best served hot.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow
5. Re: Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow Dec 13, 2016, 00:35 NewMaxx

Yep, the effective range was the issue, at least for me. Definitely cheaters, rest is just the gun-play mechanics, reminds me of people mastering recoil patterns on bursts in CS:GO...which is fine but, just not suitable for a WWI FPS IMHO.  

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow
3. Re: Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow Dec 12, 2016, 22:55 NewMaxx

The shotguns definitely needed patched. It was getting ridiculous and completely ruining certain maps like Argonne Forest. The 10-A Hunter was really the worst culprit because of its concentrated fire; getting one-hit killed at up to 20m with a shotgun is completely insane.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
30. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 11, 2016, 08:59 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Dec 11, 2016, 01:06:
[I don't think "What about Hillary" is a logically sound excuse for anything now that the election is over.

It's known as whataboutism and is indeed a logical fallacy. China and Russia still rely heavily on it when dealing with the West, especially the U.S. I followed the U.S. presidential election very carefully and I saw it utilized on both sides, but actually far more often in the pro-Clinton camp. "She erased emails? What about the Bush administration doing the same!"

The defense that she has a much more storied history than Trump in the political realm is justifiable. Your later comment about being okay with waiting until Trump is in office is reasonable but people need to realize that after seeing the amount of collusion in the election - verified with the DNC and media, unverified with Trump and Russia - that even then you can't judge the man based on what you read or hear.

In the era of "fake news" and bias we have a moment where Wikileaks is the most reputable source - and already the media has tried its hardest to discredit it as being timed, censored, and Russian-backed. I think Trump will provide plenty of fodder for criticism in his own right but consider that we already have a lot against Hillary and she generally had the media and establishment on her side!

I'm a moderate and I watched in horror as CTR invaded Reddit, Facebook, and my other social media haunts. Pro-Trump rhetoric was vilified and in some cases censored. I had no horse in the race but the bottom line is, any campaign that shady (also true during the primaries against Sanders) deserves to be questioned. Does that give Trump carte blanche? Not at all - I'm just indicating he will never get a "fair trial" on anything he does.

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Dec 9, 2016, 14:48 NewMaxx

Beamer wrote on Dec 9, 2016, 11:32:
I remember playing Fighter Ace on Microsoft Zone back in, I dunno, maybe 1997? That game would give you a message every time there was a bullet impact. If a bullet hit you, it was red text saying something like "You were shot in the fuselage by FighterAce1977," and it would be the reverse in green text if you made the hit. Given that you were firing dozens of bullets at once, getting a good volley in a ship meant a sudden scroll of green text in the corner of your screen. It was immediate, satisfying feedback. It's how I first noticed how important things like that were - you just kept playing for more instant feedback like that, just one more hit.

Look at the Modern Warfare games. Two things they did was change the target reticle when you land a shot, and then give a +100 pop up every time you kill someone. Initially complained about as arcady, but every time you see that pop up you hunger for the next one.

Contrast that with some of the earlier games in the series, or even occasional modern games in other series, and there's very little feedback for you doing something good like hitting someone, and I lose interest in those shooters quicker.

Another modern example would be Battlefield 1. The satisfaction of hearing that "kill" sound is just so sweet. Constant points for doing anything pop up for you; suppression, defense, assisting, flares, spotting, healing, ammo resupply, everything. If you disable those the game feels completely different...

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Dec 9, 2016, 12:13 NewMaxx

Really good game in the Commandos style, slow and methodical. It proved to be pretty frustrating in some situations and I think I'm going to move past it but when it works, it works well. I guess I'm getting too old to get stressed out by tactical minutiae. It's a game that requires planning and patience and is satisfying in that stealthy attrition kind of way. More than one way to crack a nut in many of the levels and plenty of challenges for replayability. No real complaints on the game-play, interface, etc., and the team is pushing out big updates on a regular basis already. Definitely a solid developer behind this one. I do suggest rebinding of keys and the timing required makes playing this on non-desktop machines pretty difficult. If you liked the aforementioned Commandos games, The Legend of Sherwood, and other games in that vein, this is pretty much as good as it gets in recent times.  

News Comments > Steep Released
11. Re: Steep Released Dec 3, 2016, 05:30 NewMaxx

Played the beta with some friends. Not a $60 game in this or any other universe. It's fun and might be addictive for those who liked snow games of old but it keeps giving me the feeling of "The Crew on a ski slope," if that makes any sense. Just felt like it was geared to a certain type of gamer.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2016, 17:12 NewMaxx

That driving article is pretty horrible.

I also disagree with its assertions. I've been all along the East Coast and Florida has atrocious driving. Variety of reasons for that, of course, but it's the worst I've ever seen, even worse than some of my New Jersey experiences (although around D.C. in Virginia IS really bad, #3 on the graph). The graph in the article having FL as 2nd best (49 out of 50) is completely wrong. Their methodology might be useful for insurance but in terms of actually measuring "bad driving" it's way off the mark.

News Comments > Overwatch PTR Launches
15. Re: Overwatch PTR Launches Jun 22, 2016, 23:32 NewMaxx

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 10:39:
Great! Prepare for Toxicwatch, taking toxic player behavior to limits never imagined even in such a venerated title as Heroes of the Shitstorm.

Blah blah blah, tick rate. Blah blah blah, freesync/g-sync! Blah blah blah, input lag. Blah blah blah, blah!

I was one of the first people to get a GTX 1080 (6/6) and I've maintained a presence on some forums and the NVIDIA sub-reddit. All you hear is how you need a 144 Hz+ monitor to compete in Overwatch, but then that it's shitty since the tick-rate is 20 Hz, but then the competitive mode (PTR) is 64! V-sync and even fastsync lags! Gotta have g-sync!

F this noise. Overwatch isn't competitive. It's for posers who want to pretend they're competitive. The entire thing is a mockery of skill. What WoW did for the MMORPG industry (and I mean that in a bad way), Overwatch is doing to the "competitive" FPS genre. Whole new level of toxic, indeed; it will make the WoW forums look downright civil.

Overwatch is the iOS to TF2's Android. Choose wisely.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2016, 23:40.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 19, 2016, 04:33 NewMaxx

So, how do you guys pronounce Linux? Just curious. I mean, it's named after the kernel's creator, Linus Torvalds, right? So shouldn't it be line-ex and not lin-ex? I've also heard the argument that acronyms (of which GIF is one) needs to have the same sound as the principal words. It's not true, in fact there are plenty of cases to the contrary (e.g., scuba isn't "scuh-bah"). So any argument for "giff" over "jiff" is inherently flawed.

It's simple. When the creator prefers one pronunciation over the other - lin-ex and jiff, as it happens - that's pretty much the tie-breaker.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2016, 04:39.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
74. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 20, 2016, 23:08 NewMaxx

The Pascal architecture has moved a bit closer to what AMD has done with GCN but the type of hardware asynchronous compute you see in Ashes of the Singularity will not be supported any better than Maxwell. I do believe you will have such support in Volta, but people expecting it out of Pascal clearly do not understand how this technology gets taped out. Pascal has been in the works for years and it was based off of Maxwell which was even older than that; you could therefore say there was no intention of such support five years in advance.

The two questions are then: what does NVIDIA mean when it says Pascal (and Maxwell) has asynchronous compute support and does the difference matter? It's actually a bit complicated, akin to branch prediction in CPUs, which is why preemption is even mentioned and where NVIDIA is fine, and hyper-threading, which is the area NVIDIA stumbles. Needless to say Pascal and Maxwell lack the ability to do graphics and compute simultaneously without a performance drop.

As for the second question: in my honest opinion, no, it doesn't much matter. AMD has innovated a lot of technologies in the graphics arena, often years in advance (cards in 2012 had full async. compute support!), but by the time it's relevant you'll have NVIDIA's "Core 2 Duo." I just don't see async. compute as all that important right now. NVIDIA bet on VR and I think that was a good choice.

Also, as someone in this thread stated, NVIDIA's architecture natively is more efficient than AMD's so it doesn't have to rely on such methods to operate at peak performance most of the time. Polaris won't be competing against the 1080 anyway. I'm reminded of when I purchased a X800 card over a decade ago that lacked full 9.0c support; that actually DID become a problem. This is NOT the same situation but people keep suggesting it is. Whether or not this divergence of architectural approach is good or bad for the industry is simply academic at the moment.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2016, 19:52 NewMaxx

CJ's right. Rumors have put the Polaris 10 anywhere from 390/390X to 980 Ti performance at the $299 price point. However, given what we know about the chip, it will fall below the 1070. It will probably offer superior $/performance and its VR capabilities will likely make it a fantastic entry-level card for that. We'll know in 2 weeks. The Polaris 11 is an amazing chip in its own right but it's not even in the same league. The 1060 will likely fall between the two. What we have here is two companies filling in different segments between each other.

Keep in mind the heavy hitters - the HBM2 cards, Vega and "Big Pascal" - are a completely different story.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2016, 18:45 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on May 18, 2016, 12:42:
Nvidia themselves place it ABOVE 980TI and Titan X in performance in their graph... barely, but enough to make this card an absolute beast if that is true.

It should come pretty close to a 980 Ti, yes.

A 1080 averages +31.99% over a 980 Ti in DX11, both stock, averaged over a dozen reviews. The 1070 has 1920 cores versus the 1080's 2560, and a boost of 1683 MHz vs. 1733 MHz. That's +37.29%. Memory is 256-bit but it's 8 GHz vs. 10 GHz on the 1080, a difference of +25%. This averages out to about +31.15%. So basically <1% faster than 980 Ti by raw hardware specs alone.

Of course there has been much speculation about # of cores and ROPs so the performance may adjust upward but it's at least comparable to a 980 Ti.

This comment was edited on May 18, 2016, 19:02.

News Comments > Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown
56. Re: Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown Apr 27, 2016, 00:10 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 23:09:
If you don't mind me asking does "been on the design team for two" refer to Blizzard?

No, never worked for Blizzard. Worked on two MMOs. One was independent (although it may still be going to this day, if that is a clue) and the other was UO. How UO ended up with private shards and everything definitely colors my vision on this specific issue. There really is an opportunity to do something new and great with that and I think Blizzard is one of very few companies that could pull it off, but I don't think there's enough internal push for it to happen; as I said, the right person at the right spot in that company could be just what they need.

News Comments > Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown
50. Re: Blizzard on Vanilla WoW Shutdown Apr 26, 2016, 20:36 NewMaxx

This is just my opinion - having played dozens of MMOs including World of Warcraft at launch, and having been on the design team for two - but I see this situation more as an opportunity. It's no mystery that Blizzard has been moving away from World of Warcraft and in fact they have made the (smart) decision to move away from traditional MMOs all-together. Yet they apparently lack the vision to make something great with what they already have.

Someone else commented that they picked THE wrong person to be affiliated with this statement and I couldn't agree more. Blizzard seems to be in a constant flux when it comes to being in touch with their customers. Tying these concepts together I offer the example of Diablo 3, which was turned around largely by listening to the community and removing a certain person on the team. My point being that if you want reform you need turnover.

All that being said I made my feelings about this statement felt on the Reddit thread. As someone who has worked on teams and game development, including the legal elements, I know what they're saying. I just disagree with it because they are approaching it like Microsoft rather than Google; Blizzard is quite capable of making the best of this opportunity and they have a track record of being flexible, but apparently the impetus isn't quite there yet.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
10. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 8, 2016, 02:38 NewMaxx

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 22:34:
Ditto!

Btw Anyone playing the Division at mightnight, and want to team up my Ubiname is Cpt_Ranger

I managed to get on early with a UK copy + VPN, then the servers went down and my local friends bailed, so I'm out for the night! Might hit you up tomorrow so don't be surprised. Bluesnews guys are always welcome!

News Comments > Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close
21. Re: Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close Mar 8, 2016, 02:31 NewMaxx

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 13:14:
Microsoft competence at its finest.

What? No! But, but...Fable Legends is an example of Async Compute!!11!

News Comments > Hitman DirectX 12 Support
35. Re: Hitman DirectX 12 Support Mar 8, 2016, 02:20 NewMaxx

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 17:59:
Fable Legends and most likely more to come)

One down. By all means, keep commenting. Just FYI, Microsoft (the makers of DX12) made that call.

You guys know jack shit about the industry. Stop making blanket statements about things you don't understand. It's embarrassing.

News Comments > Hitman DirectX 12 Support
29. Re: Hitman DirectX 12 Support Mar 6, 2016, 15:35 NewMaxx

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 19:40:
I'm inclined to believe that AMD will generally benefit a lot from games that use AC (and Hitman is certainly not a "Mantle showcase").

You do realize that Absolution was a "Gaming Evolved" title, right? The new game is, too. If NVIDIA claimed something like this with a GameWorks title you guys would be jumping all over it within a nanosecond.

News Comments > The Division Beta Claims Record
19. Re: The Division Beta Claims Record Feb 23, 2016, 04:22 NewMaxx

I'm mostly a single-player and/or PVE guy but I had a lot of fun in both betas, within groups and on my own. Put in a total of 32 hours between the two with the majority of it in the Dark Zone. Had a complete blast. I pre-ordered a regular edition before the first beta, after this one I bumped it up to the gold edition. No question whatsoever. The cheapest right now (official Ubisoft vendors) is Gamesplanet, comes out to $73.45 if you use the forUNCUT deal after transaction (GBP->USD) fees. Box can be had for $79.99 and applicable taxes on Amazon with Prime. May be possible to get it cheaper at places like Best Buy if you're part of a game membership club.

For people who loved the Dark Zone play like Slick, be sure to get the gold edition. It comes with the Survival expansion which makes the entire city a Dark Zone. You can get it via Season Pass later, of course, but you'd miss out on some bonuses in the meantime. Again, like I said, no question! I'm recommending the regular edition for my casual gaming friends but any serious PC gamer is going gold. If I can get 32 hours in two weekends out of a 4-level PVE stint with 90% of the game and features (e.g., crafting) cut off, and enjoy myself with 1/5 of the map and 1/3 of the Dark Zone, I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth.

940 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo