Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 999 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta
40. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Feb 25, 2017, 16:53 NewMaxx

I posted another video of Wildlands and also put together a quick spreadsheet with weapon stats linked in the description. Good hunting!  
Borecraft Games on YouTube
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers
1. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers Feb 24, 2017, 03:28 NewMaxx

What about Natalie DDormer?  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta
25. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Feb 24, 2017, 03:26 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 01:49:
I didn't play this, but from the videos it looked like Just Cause: Ghost Recon.

I prefer to call it...Ghosta Rican!

On that note - performance is still poop. NVIDIA, get the game-ready driver out!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2017, 13:40 NewMaxx

Single-core IPC is about 15% lower and I expect multi-thread IPC to be about 35% lower. This is estimated based on some of the benchmark leaks I've seen. The 1700 is marketed at the 7700K price point so there's a 3/3.7 v 4.2/4.5 clock difference as well, with the 7700K at +40% clock. So, Ryzen has double the cores, but when factoring in IPC and clock rates with workloads with 4/8 or less cores/threads, Intel should still do very well. In areas where turbo is sustainable the Ryzen catches up, relatively speaking, but not as much as you would expect. Ryzen can close the gap to 7% and 15% IPC differential in some benchmarks but the analysis is mostly the same.

More concerning is the very weak IMC on Ryzen - I suspect this will be fixed in the refresh. That's troublesome because they're clearly going for a more cores/threads strategy which relies more heavily on memory bandwidth. It also makes it harder for them to compete versus the quad channel Intel boards. Also, the Ryzen motherboard leaks so far have been pretty underwhelming, many having slower RAM and the older Realtek embedded designs, while the better boards are getting to the $299 range you see for Intel's superior platforms. They're toeing a very fine line.

The cache design will help a lot (especially with HBM2-capable GPUs for gaming) but it also means the 6/12 chips will be cut-down 8/16. Those will be the very best bargains, especially for overclockers and gamers. Whether or not they are delayed remains to be seen. These Ryzen chips will fill a lot of gaps and offer nice alternatives for many buyers but I suspect as I've said before it's more of a "soup or salad?" situation - and honestly it's looking VERY much like the Ryzen refresh will be the chips to get (AMD even says "better to come" in their leaked slide), especially with memory price history. Otherwise I'd advocate the 6/12 chip with water cooling for now if you're in the market.

For the record - and I've posted about this here before - I have found some modern games benefit from more than i5's 4/4 configuration, but generally 4/6 is where you hit serious diminishing returns. Certainly Ryzen might benefit from future GPUs and GPU technology but there are still a lot of question marks for me. Here's a good video going into detail though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plXoBXFodHI

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Free Expansion Next Week
8. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Free Expansion Next Week Feb 22, 2017, 10:00 NewMaxx

Slashman wrote on Feb 22, 2017, 09:19:
I care not one whit about PVP so that means jack squat to me. I picked this up for $12 by subscribing to the Humble Bundle Monthly thing. I'm supposed to get a bunch more games by the 6th of March in the same deal as well. If they aren't worth it, I'll cancel and still have TW:W.

I'll pick up the DLC bit by bit as I play the different factions. Not really in a rush to have all in one go. So hopefully as sales come and go, I'll still get it all on the cheap side.

I don't care a lot about PVP but many people do. I mentioned it's "in the game" because I believe the AI can use the DLC units and races against you (without you having purchased it). So, much of the DLC is for flavor when you want to engage in the new storylines/quests with unique units. Gamesplanet UK is a good place to pick them up (be sure to get the 3% Steam group discount) and while I do think they're generally overpriced, they are nice additions and none are too crazy expensive (minus maybe the Wood Elves).

The rest of the bundle games will be revealed March 3rd I believe and they do go month-to-month so there's no risk...and this game alone is worth $12 (or $10.80 if you have the discount and are a new subscriber). Very good deal - you can use the cash you save towards the DLC you want.

News Comments > Total War: WARHAMMER Free Expansion Next Week
6. Re: Total War: WARHAMMER Free Expansion Next Week Feb 22, 2017, 09:04 NewMaxx

This game is a good deal at $10.80 on the Monthly Humble Bundle if you previously grabbed a bundle and never subscribed. The DLC is pretty annoying because most of it is in the game, just not accessible to you unless you pay...which would be fine except the cost of DLC at this point exceeds the base game on sale and it's a bit P2W if you want to maximize your PVP potential.  

News Comments > Next Overwatch Hero Greek?
12. Re: Next Overwatch Hero Greek? Feb 20, 2017, 23:11 NewMaxx

Rilcon wrote on Feb 20, 2017, 17:04:
I didn't realize the BN community had this many assholes in it. I mean, going by these comments, y'all voted for Trump and wear MAGA caps indoors.

I wouldn't go that far but let's just say the media's shenanigans over the last year+ have made Trump not only acceptable but nearly desirable. The fact that some people have doubled-down behind that bullshit only widens the divide. I had to watch as my favorite social media spots got swarmed with shill locusts and ruined the few places I could go without PR nonsense because people were "#withher" and I'll be damned if I'm going to live in a world where any remnant of the Soros-backed sac-suckers still draw breath.

If that makes me an asshole then - guilty as charged.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Patch Tomorrow
1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Patch Tomorrow Feb 20, 2017, 23:06 NewMaxx

"sometimes spawns as immobile drone, which carries over to the action phase."

Sounds like Blue's sex life, am I right? *rimshot* ...thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

News Comments > Hearts of Iron IV Sells 500K Copies
6. Re: Hearts of Iron IV Sells 500K Copies Feb 20, 2017, 17:17 NewMaxx

Great game. A lot easier to get into than HOI3 and a lot less time-consuming to reach a point of passable competence...

Easiest way to learn is probably Brazil with a pathway towards joining the Allies. Got tons of manpower and civilian factories to do most anything, albeit with weakpoints in technology and some resources. Of course these can be overcome by going with the Allies...

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
2. Re: Sunday Consolidation Feb 19, 2017, 17:58 NewMaxx

Reminds me of No Man's Sky  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Next Week
15. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Next Week Feb 17, 2017, 07:13 NewMaxx

Nice, I'm excited! I did some preliminary videos during the closed beta and should be doing more (better) ones during the open beta. (namely, fixing my new mic)

Had a lot of fun with the game but it certainly has a lot of bugs and the performance was lackluster no matter how you slice it. A lot of people weren't too happy with some of the mechanics - vehicle control probably being the worst - but I actually kind of like the looser feel for an open world co-op game. I don't think it'll be as solid for a solo experience and PVP will be at some point further down the line. Still, I'll be getting this game over For Honor for my gaming crew.

News Comments > Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio
12. Re: Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio Feb 15, 2017, 23:46 NewMaxx

I just find it funny because I was just telling my friend about how everybody is making their own game studio these days (Humble Bundle, Adult Swim, etc) and I was talking like Amazon had already done it. Then I turn around and read this today and laugh...

"ambitious new project that taps into the power of the AWS Cloud and Twitch to connect players around the globe in a thrilling new game world"

I'm reading that as F2P with microtransactions, with of course bonuses!1!1 if you have Amazon Prime. Bezos can suck it, I'm done with his shitty ass company and all their shenanigans. I'm still using a ($50) Nook Simple Touch for e-reading and this guy has the balls to bring out Kindle Voyage...has their own credit card, treats their employees like shit, wants to fly drones around and put Echo Dots in everybody's homes, all while he pushes his politics via the Washington Post. On second thought maybe Smedley was the right hire after all! Sony had to learn from quite a few mistakes...

Oh and yes, Amazon owns Twitch, but I left it in the dust far before that when they had their hacks and shitty policies and poor latency etc, not a bad fit.

(disclaimer: I invested in AMZN four years ago but have since moved my money to other tech companies, they continue to spend spend spend with relatively low revenues)

News Comments > Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio
1. Re: Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio Feb 15, 2017, 20:19 NewMaxx

You got to be kidding me.  

News Comments > Origin Access Free Trial
21. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 15, 2017, 16:24 NewMaxx

Got a month of Origin Access for $5 to get 10 hours of early play for the BF1 launch. Definitely worth it - managed to play and beat many of the Vault games, although I already owned many of them. It's not something I felt "good" about doing but I don't regret it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 12:54 NewMaxx

Lived in PA many years, rather nice place (especially up north), although its government moved at a rather plodding pace.  

News Comments > For Honor Beta Concludes Today
7. Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 14:35 NewMaxx

It just feels like it's made for console players...that's all I'm saying. I played the closed and open beta with all my PC gamer friends and we all felt the same way. Nothing wrong with that, I just think it's a better console experience. Not everything is better on PC. Keep in mind this is a cross-platform game in multi-player which isn't terribly common - it's clearly not made to be played on kb/m.  

News Comments > For Honor Beta Concludes Today
5. Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 13:21 NewMaxx

Had more fun with it than I expected and you definitely need a controller...but honestly I just don't get the appeal. Not really my thing, but I hate 3rd person gamepad action thingies...never really understood why any self-respecting PC player would be within 10 miles of this stuff. Go play it on console.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2017, 23:28 NewMaxx

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 22:46:
i thought it was supposed to be paired with their new GPU solutions which feature HBM and would therefore circumvent this weakness somewhat in terms of gaming performance.. also its supposed to match up in some other areas as well to make each part more effective than when used separately.. in theory

That would be correct...there has been a lot of talk about HBM2 and Vega alongside Ryzen. When I said that AMD made the "CPU more flexible" I was referring to the fact they are moving more things on-die and off the motherboard - an innovation hailing back to when they were the first to the market with an on-die memory controller. Intel played catch-up with the first "i" line after that; compare the C2D/C2Q chips and you see 10-15% gains there. It took a while for AMD to reap benefits from that even though it was critically hailed from the get go.

HBM2 remains relatively expensive fare and is a bit controversial in some ways. For example when HBM came out we were hearing how HBM2 would solve all the issues...and now, already, we're hearing about how HBM3 will solve the new problems. Pairing that with an immature platform and uncertain prices in the market means it's more of a "we'll see" situation rather than being a solid suggestion for people making buying decisions. You're correct in your assertion about their overall strategy, however. I just find it to not be something I would buy into yet.

My personal decision was to grab a full Skylake/6700K-based system over BF as the "tea leaves" told me that Kaby Lake would be underwhelming and that Ryzen would come a bit later and probably not offer anything reliable for a few months after that. Considering I already needed to boost my 760s to a GTX 1080 (rather than wait for the promised Vega) it was an easy decision. My alternative move would have been a 6/12 or low 8/16 Ryzen paired with Vega but I wasn't willing to wait for the product launches and kinks to be worked out. For those still on the fence it's important for them to know what their choices are - and I don't think "buy into full AMD" is something I'd say right now (but neither would I bank on Kaby Lake + NVIDIA). Couple that with rising DDR4 prices and the ship has sailed until, IMHO, at least June.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2017, 21:46 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 19:07:
16 threads on the AMD vs 8 threads on the 7700k. If you look at the single core data, the 7700k is still the stronger cpu.

15.4% better IPC on the 7700K, to be precise, which is exactly what was predicted a while back. (many expected between SB/IB and Haswell IPC)

It did perform 21.5% better in a multi-thread test, but that is with 61.9% better corexclock ratio, again revealing the IPC difference (and likely an inferior HT algorithm).

The memory controller on Ryzen is not particularly good and they of course drop the GPU part of the die to save cost (while also making the CPU itself more flexible). Again, all of this has been known for a while (I've posted about it a few times on various forums). This coupled with more cores/threads suggests overclocking will be relatively the same as Intel (albeit all Ryzen are unlocked).

The 6/12 part would have been the best bargain but rumor is it has been delayed. The 1700 (lowest 8/16 part) will be a strong 7700K competitor but really for budget creators rather than gamers; there have already been leaked gaming benchmarks putting the 8/16 Ryzen below the 7700K - which is to be expected by the IPC and single-thread differences. Keep in mind tests done on modern AAA games suggest none really use more than 4 cores or 6 threads (I posted about this before on BN).

The short of it is, this opens up the arena for $300+ buyers and gives a relatively inexpensive alternative to Intel's 6-core parts, but the weak memory controller will stifle any plans for solid quad-channel performance. Again, all expected. Anybody surprised or excited by these results may not have been paying attention. Is it newsworthy? Somewhat, yeah, it means more options for everyone. It's just not a killer product - the platform is too immature for it to be a spoiler, but it does open up the market. I can't say anything ill about it - just want people to temper their expectations with reality.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2017, 22:04.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs
29. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs Feb 9, 2017, 15:12 NewMaxx

The helicopter controls were clearly designed around a gamepad and for novices (auto-hover, easy up/down lift, etc) but getting it to do what you want (see: try aiming the front miniguns) is a bit more difficult. It's possible to get tolerably good at it with some practice but it could be a hell of a lot better. I cut my teeth on Desert Combat so for me it's an abomination, but hey...  

999 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo