Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1174 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Warframe Plains of Eidolon Trailer
3. Re: Warframe Plains of Eidolon Trailer Sep 16, 2017, 21:16 NewMaxx

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 19:11:
I guess I should get around to trying Warframe, and forget about the Destiny 2 nonsense.

Valid decision.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 18:08 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:16:
Good luck, keep us informed. You too, Shok.

The place I was staying at was going to be evacuated so I ended up driving right back the next day. Fun! At least I'm prepared.

Note: you start to see the reality of human stupidity and greed when evacuating. Cell towers and gas stations were overwhelmed the entire way largely due to people watching YT and stupid shit and idiots blocking gas pumps. I'll also add there was a 3-hour delay due to accidents all caused by people using the shoulder as a third lane - despite signs saying only to use in emergencies. Starting to see the benefits to auto-driving cars (far better traffic flow) and the failings of net neutrality (priority should have been given to people checking forecasts, bookings, etc).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2017, 17:15 NewMaxx

Out near Jacksonville. Finishing up the storm shutters this evening, every piece of glass will be covered with corrugated steel. Got a cement-reinforced fence and environmental cover on three sides, also up the highest in the neighborhood. Headed Northwest at first light. Best I can do.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 10:37 NewMaxx

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 09:30:
Y'all think Win10 is bad about forced reboots? Try Server 2016 which has the same forced reboot policy. "B...b...but you can set active hours!" Yeah, about that, see when you have a PDC and you have users that access your network 24/7/365 from both local and remote locations and you use AD as your authentication schema, that becomes problematic.

In a way, though, it has been a blessing in disguise. It has finally woken up some of my fellow sysadmins who have had their heads shoved way up MS' ass and we're looking at better, Linux based solutions for a lot of what we do.

Pretty much. I run Enterprise on my main workstation and it's been a pretty poor experience. I unfortunately have a lot of purchased software that runs on Windows so I tossed it on my one server and that has proven to be a mistake, definitely a lot more downtime. All my VMs are Linux of course but my server would be, too, if I didn't rely on so much Windows software for the pre-existing setup. Microsoft is at least aware of these issues and supposedly will be changing their approach. I think we've heard that before...

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 10:34 NewMaxx

MeanJim wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 00:27:
So it's the Creators Update that's being pushed out to everyone next month that breaks startup programs? Great, more fun to look forward to...

The upcoming update is the second (Fall) Creators Update. I'm an early adopter and a power user so I have issues that most people won't, but now we have options like the bloatware free edition and Microsoft will be allowing an opt-out on pushed updates which were a large source of concern. The average user won't have too many issues (or really any more than past Windows OS) but it's worth exercising some caution before jumping on updates.

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 21:34 NewMaxx

wtf_man wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 18:57:
So what's the catch? I removed Windows updates. Why? Because it will break the first time one of those stupid cumulative updates tries to install.

Bingo, this guy gets it. Major Geeks's Bloatware Free edition is a good image to start with if anyone is curious.

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 21:27 NewMaxx

MeanJim wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 19:28:
I generally like a clean boot and don't run things on startup, but I do have a couple of programs that I set to run at startup and no update stopped them.

The Creators Update broke a number of methods used for services such as NSSM. As I said we did find workarounds for all the issues but when you're running a server doing tons of things and it reboots from an update with half its shit not running it's a tad inconvenient. I had no problem with it on my main machines but other updates did cause various issues. The USB issue I mentioned was one linked to the Enterprise version (which I run on my workstation) as they didn't roll out the update like they do on consumer machines and the manual update was borked. The backup issue was caused because they essentially use the Windows 7 form of backup but when you work with UEFI it can mess it up.

I never said these were typical issues but for any serious user it's been a drain on resources. Like I said - it's fine for gaming but I'd steer clear of it otherwise. If you use it for a dedicated gaming machine or for light work, sure, but to say the updates haven't been a complete f'n mess (pardon my language) for serious work is a different matter...I could rally off a half dozen other issues in that arena.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 16:58 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 16:12:
Windows 10 has so many annoying intermittent issues that Win 7 never had.
- put to sleep, and it will hang indefinitely with the hard drive running. Have to reboot.
- wakes up from sleep and the network driver is completely missing. Not deactivated, but gone entirely. Have to reboot.
- sometimes it loses the ability to recognize USB devices. Even if I replug them, it won't see them. Have to reboot.

This was a clean install. My hardware is pretty standard. I don't have a lot of software other than games loaded.

I had two major problems with it so far. Well, actually, three. The first was when I upgraded to the first major pack and it removed my USB filters. This wiped all connected USB drives (my eSATA ones were fine) so I had to restore one or two TB manually. Later, when restoring a backup, it wrote to the wrong drive (when it rebooted to the process) and that drive was one of two in a RAID-0. Again, had to restore 1-2 TB of shit because of that. Third, I stupidly put it on my one server, where I discovered that update basically gimped your ability to directly run things on startup. Yes there are ways around that but it's ridiculous that I was cost about a week of work over those issues in the last YEAR. I did get it for gaming reasons but so far there's really no gain for that despite the promises, even on proper DX12 cards (AMD) you don't really gain anything you just lose less.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr Early Access
10. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr Early Access Sep 1, 2017, 14:48 NewMaxx

This developer is very focused and communicative with the community. It isn't your typical early access moneygrab. That being said, the entry price of $45 is pretty steep for EA, IMHO, considering that is 10% down from $50, so you have to wonder what advantage early access has (will it be $60 at release?) - again, though, the ability to give feedback with direct developer interaction seems to be one of the benefits.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2017, 18:35 NewMaxx

Had a G700s for years and I really only got a decent day of gaming out of it. My G900 gets 3-4 days depending. I don't run the lighting high, either. I know G602 owners like to brag but they're not even in the same league. To be fair, though, the G903 (G900 variant) and G703 can be wirelessly charged so that becomes a non-issue I guess. And the G603 has a similar sensor as the G900/903/703 (but apparently more energy-efficient). Logitech did really get amazing performance out of the wireless side. I mean, the G900 mouse is the best I've ever used (DeathAdder would be the second). I know a lot of people prefer low-DPI mice but I run 6400 bare minimum (I used to run 8500 or so in Planetside 2) and you really need that higher polling rate. (for those who feel no difference in polling rate - keep in mind the majority of sensors didn't do 1000 Hz properly even when the mouse supported it, and the leap from 125 to 500 is the larger and more important one, anyway)  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Open Beta
54. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 13:49 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 12:49:
I'm having a hard time understanding your complaints about the End boss for the strike mission fight. Why is it so bad to have to run around dodging the boss and trying to survive a hard fight like that so bad?

I dont understand this complaint. This is whats good about the fights, being tactful and not standing there just face blasting the enemy. Anyone can do that. Its the challenge of the fight that makes it fun and worth it.

There's challenge and then there's the veneer of challenge. If you played this strike and actually felt like tactics won or lost it for you then I have to question if we did the same beta. Now I realize that these strikes are only 3-man (and thus it's not fair for me to compare it to 2005 vanilla WoW, for example, which had 5-man at the minimum) and it's a fight you jump right into without much preparation. But then people laud its verticality and mobility when the arena is actually small as shit and the mechanics are simple. And for PVE players, and defenders keep telling me this is a PVE game first, even after console beta changes the balance feels off. "It's just a beta" - but when I suggested more content and/or variety was needed to get a feel, I get hate from people.

I echo some other sentiments people have posted here with "boring" and "feels off" at the top of my list. Again, not a Destiny or console player. Maybe this passes as amazing for those fans, I don't know. I just expect more - and I'd be willing to give it a chance despite these shortcomings if the PC launch wasn't delayed and if Bungie wasn't determined to unify PVE and PVP, which has already caused an auto-aim crisis after one day. All of that impacts my experience and the one potential saving grace - the strike - felt mired by strange weapon choices (several of which are already headed for a nerf!) and watered-down abilities.

It's not my type of game though but everybody can go try it themselves and make their own determination, but I'll repeat that you should get it on console or wait for a sale on PC.

52. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 30, 2017, 11:41 NewMaxx

Sempai wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 03:00:
As one who played entirely too much D1 on Ps4, this beta client is surprisingly refreshing and solid AF.

The bone dry beta content aside, the Strike is fantastic. The sheer scope and verticality are a significant step up over the first.

In the end it is just more Destiny, but finally having the option to run it on a proper PC in 4k@60fps is glorious. It feels like a different animal altogether. And that Hunter(exotic)hand cannon they give you at the beginning made me giggle like a goddamn school girl, watching Cabal heads pop like a grape in a fiery explosion. So good..

I was planning on picking it up on ps4 to join some friends, waiting for their goddamn horseshit staggered release, but after playing it on PC, i'm much less motivated to ever go back to ps4..friends be damned. ;)

I guess that's part of the problem for someone like me (never played the original). The Strike itself was pretty cool but the boss fight is what kind of killed the game for me. Bungie has stated they made the game 30 FPS on consoles so it could be larger with more enemies. The more enemies part I got, but the boss battle felt ridiculously constrained to me. I spent the majority of the time running around, ducking, dodging, avoiding fire, trying to stay alive or rezz allies, sometimes taking down "adds," all the while hating ammo limitations and ability cooldowns (and what's worse, I hear the console beta was even tighter in both regards). Quite frankly the mechanics kept me from enjoying the splendor of the fight and, in any case, for a game where I wanted to embrace mobility, the arena was small and I was hiding behind shit half the damn time. If that's Destiny then, pardon my language, f*** that s***. I can take a time portal back to 2005 and just enjoy Ragnaros, thank you very much.

However it was REALLY nice to see a game run properly on PC. It really was polished and smooth, and I even embraced the UI. I liked the handcannons but frankly most of the other weapons felt weak to me. Don't get me wrong I'm used to "bullet sponge" in these games but I switched up weapons many, many times trying the strike and most of them felt pretty terrible to use (when I wasn't meleeing to conserve ammo). I agree it's a shame the PC version comes out much later as one thing that might've motivated me was being able to explore/learn right from the get go, but now that I know 99% of shit will be done by the time I'd get a copy, I'll wait for bargain bin. I think the amount of people who both really want this game and are willing to wait for the PC version are few and far between - which is kind of a shame.

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Officially Launches
10. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Officially Launches Aug 30, 2017, 02:38 NewMaxx

Luckily I got this back when it was $15 but I agree with clint. It can be fun with some tweaks and decent hardware. Not really my cup of tea and I waited a long time for "optimization" that never came. I feel like I got my money's worth but I can't help but feel it didn't live up to its potential.  

46. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 30, 2017, 02:36 NewMaxx

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 01:22:
I love the Borderlands games. This just doesn't feel right though.

Same.

I actually think it does some things better than Borderlands (certainly I liked the UI better in general, and it felt smoother on the whole) but the actual game-play felt like a step back to me. Hard to put my finger on it but since I never played the original I don't want to make any definitive assertions. It just felt "off" as I said in my original post here.

37. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 21:41 NewMaxx

thecakeisalie wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 20:51:
I've played Destiny, Destiny 1.5..errr 2 and Warframe and Warframe is superior to both version of Destiny. Plus it's free*

Pretty much.

Interesting story: my brother loves this kind of game and he's a well-watched streamer (going on 7-figure views) and I finally talked him into trying Warframe a month ago or so. Absolutely addicted and well beyond me already (I played on and off for years). He tried the D2 beta and let's just say he won't be buying it any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, Warframe has its faults (I find the UI atrocious), but I put less money into that game than a copy of this would cost me and have had tons of fun with it.

36. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 21:33 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 20:25:
Well I trust a 3 post review far more than when you say you had fun in anything coop Your definition of fun is totally muddled, you don't have fun with the specific game, you have fun playing with your friends. Sadly, your friends are not included in a purchase of Destiny 2....

I'm in that boat, too, because I have to convince my friends to get on board and they are far more casual than I am when it comes to gaming. I find it amusing because I got them all into The Division but they petered out pretty quickly at the end-game for a variety of reasons. I recall plenty of people on forums making it sound like it didn't take that long to gear up properly and learn the events, giving a ballpark of like "two hours a night," and I'm like...really? That's casual? Not in my world. I'm lucky to get them together once a weekend for a few hours.

So, yes, I have a clan that plays and I can just "pub" or do whatever but I find as I get older I'd rather focus my multi-player time with my friends and this game already feels like work. From a beta. A short ass beta. It literally made me tired doing a few runs. My friends mostly suck and we don't have the hours to waste getting them up to snuff so to speak, so I guess this type of game is out.

So no offense to people who love this stuff as I already said, more power to you! But for those in my boat, my "review" in several posts below is effectively for you. Wait for a sale or if not, get it on console. By the time it hits PC all the secrets will be known and technical mastery aside, it's just not worth full price or a separate purchase on this platform.

27. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 18:28 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 18:22:
What's really pathetic is the amount of money they spend; allegedly, to make these games. It seems to go everywhere but into the game itself.

It's not atypical for a AAA game to have half or more of its cost go to marketing. Something to think about... (although to be fair, I know a few games that could have benefited from better advertisement)

And before anybody comes in here to defend this title: Rockstar and Pop-Tarts

21. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 17:41 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 17:37:
Played the "demo" till I got to a part where some bald dude is standing next to a door and enemies keep air dropping onto the platform... endlessly.

he pops a shield and deflects a bunch of missiles and then it goes into a loop. Is that the game or did a script break?

Check upper left. After 3/3 defended a door opens to the right for the next area.

19. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 17:21 NewMaxx

opie wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:23:
final words: 4/10 already uninstalled and not going to play again. Might be good for console newbs who have to use a controller.

I agree mostly with your opinion...okay maybe completely, although I thought the graphics were good. I also think it plays all right with a keyboard and mouse although clearly it was intended for a controller. I would give it more than a 4/10 personally, maybe even a 7/10, but it's definitely something I can come back to later during a sale.

17. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 29, 2017, 17:05 NewMaxx

Graham wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:27:
Jesus fucking christ. Why is it every time a beta comes out people expect a demo? Betas are for stability, stress testing, and to give you the tiniest taste.

And of that teaspoonful you're already "over the game"?

Jesus fucking christ.

It wasn't labeled a "beta test." It was labeled a "beta." I didn't expect a demo, it WAS a demo. It was far too polished for me to believe anything about "testing."

If you go back to Destiny 1's beta, which to be fair was probably too large, you can see why people might expect a little bit more. The PC not only got a last-minute beta (before console release) but also has a later launch date. It's reasonable to expect more than an hour of content if they're trying to sell me on an IP that has never been on the PC before. To top it off the beta is in the middle of the week. I also gave plenty of reasons why I wasn't buying the game but the reality is casual players like my friends have limited time and funding for gaming so, yes, they're already over it.

I'm also insulted by your tone (and did you have to say "Jesus fucking christ" twice?) as I play a ton of betas so maybe you shouldn't define my expectations for me. Quite frankly I'm not interested in the PVP part and the fear they were balancing towards that was quickly reinforced.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2017, 17:16.

1174 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo