Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1222 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Year 3 DLC
6. Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Year 3 DLC Dec 13, 2017, 15:48 NewMaxx

Darks wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 10:56:
Seems to me they are trying to pimp out these operators. Is there really any difference between any of them? And I mean, is there really any difference that is noticeably different besides a new look.

What makes them so special that any the others cant do?

I recall playing this on a free weekend, and I really didn't care for the feel of the game, the weapons felt odd and very over sized from what I remember. It just didn't feel like the old Rainbow Siege games like Vegas and past games.

Wow...well I can't say much about that last part except to state that this game has the best gunplay of any I've ever played. I mean, yes, it doesn't have the simulation feel of something like Arma 3, but in terms of arcade-style shooting it's about as close to perfection as you can get. I'll temper that by saying the shotguns and pistols were/are a bit off but they regularly do passes on those. But, yeah, if you're comparing it to past Rainbow Six games (or at least the pre-Vegas ones), then the gunplay will feel off.

All the operators are different and sometimes in subtle ways (hitboxes) and generally have different weapons of course (except ones from the same country pair in some cases). They each have a unique ability that varies from simple (Buck's Skeleton Key) to more complex (Zofia's launcher) although honestly the interplay between abilities is a large part of the game's appeal and meta. To put it simply, characters have certain play styles and counters and it depends on the team...honestly this game is a bit of a "hero" type game in that regard. I hate to compare it to Overwatch but, you know, combine Rainbow Six with the "hero" concept and yeah, lol.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
28. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 12, 2017, 18:48 NewMaxx

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 18:04:
2 questions.

1. What are your ideas on ram speed when it comes to CAS timing and Frequency. For example
DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000)
Timing 13-15-15-28
CAS Latency 13
-versus-
Speed
DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Timing 17-17-17-39
CAS Latency 17
I would think the low frequency memory would perform just as well as the faster memory due to it's better CAS latency.
Where do you think the current sweet spot/crossover is.

and 2.
I have researched the pagefile "always" question and I can never find a reason that you have to have a pagefile besides 'because'.
Can you point me to where it explains why you have to have a pagefile, especially if you have oodles of unused ram an ssd and a 4 core 4 ghz processor.

It seems like other people answered these for you but I'll give some basic thoughts.

1) Latency and bandwidth are effectively interchangeable but for gaming with modern CPUs, bandwidth is king. In the old days this wasn't the case so that might be what you're thinking. Also, [H] and AnandTech have shown the sweet spot was 2666 with the Skylake generation (and I consider modern CPUs still within that range) with 3200+ having vastly diminishing returns. FWIW I have a bunch of (relatively) cheap Team Dark CL14/2400 sticks that I have at CL16/3200 with some tweaking - my NE review should still be there for those sticks - and I explain that system memory is largely fungible these days (they take the same modules for multiple SKUs).

2) The short answer is because programmers who program for Windows (and I consider myself in that camp) assume the OS will have a paging file. It's non-optimal to work in an environment without one as Microsoft designed their framework that way. The longer reason would be that it can lead to a bit of a "buffer overflow" problem (which as you may know leads to vulnerabilities) if you happen to run out of memory for some reason (e.g. memory leak). I can't really get into this without explaining that a modern OS (Windows 10) handles memory far better than older ones (XP) with things like caching so that is less of a concern, but conversely W10's superior memory management also means the benefits of running without a paging file are likewise far less.

27. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 12, 2017, 18:38 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Dec 11, 2017, 17:40:
Isn't that what I said? Confused

The listed article did various tests and shows that the difference between 8 and 16GB is basically a rare few fps

Compared to RAID-0 SSDs, the gains are probably minimal, yes. Compared to a bog standard single Sata 3 SSD, it is considerably faster. Like, noticeably faster without even benchmarking. I'm not sure why that's "naive".

Also, an NVMe SSD costs roughly the same as two SATA 3 SSDs, but doesn't require two or four cables running through your case.

You acted like the refresh is a big deal when in reality at the price you can get Ryzen now, and with the feature set the current chipsets have, there's really no reason to feel buyer's remorse. ("I just bought one! GRRRR!")

Well, for gaming, [H] had an article showing that a SSD versus a fast mechanical actually had 0 performance improvement outside of loading times. I argued then that multiplayer games still benefit from the I/O but in any case, the leap there from SATA SSD to NVME is nonexistent under those conditions. Except for loading times. And, sure, a NVME takes up a lot less space, but again it also overheats/throttles like crazy. And, yes, a few SATA SSDs will be the same price - but I could have had those SSDs and at equal or greater capacity 5+ years ago (since, you know, I did). With memory prices the way they are I'd be hard pressed to suggest NVME for a gamer.

Also, as a side note I didn't get into, you're far better off having more RAM for caching than relying on a SSD, anyway. In other words having a same-capacity SATA SSD with 8-16GB more RAM versus a NVME, your overall performance will be better with the former case.

This comment was edited on Dec 12, 2017, 18:58.

12. Re: RAM Matters: How Much Do You Need for Gaming? 4GB, 8GB, 16GB or 32GB. Dec 11, 2017, 17:16 NewMaxx

Allow me to correct a few things here.

1) Zen 2 isn't coming out until 2019. This is a Ryzen ("2") refresh (Zen+). Confusing I know. It's because it's been listed both ways depending on the source. 2018 is Pinnacle Ridge, Matisse is 2019.

2) You absolutely do need 16GB of RAM to game well today. More is better. Not just due to raw usage but caching. With the prices the way they are (and I expect that to remain through much of 2018 if not longer), 16GB is acceptable however. I do recommend 32GB if you can manage it.

3) I'd had SATA SSDs in RAID-0s for more than half a decade with speeds up to 1.5 GB/s. The sequential speed gains for NVME are mostly meaningless. The advantages are much higher I/O - which is useless for consumers - with better overhead efficiency (which isn't an issue for the most recent CPUs) and signalling benefits. But there's also drawbacks such as overheating and throttling. The idea that "NVME is the best!11!!1" is pretty naive if you're just looking at sequential transfers since I've achieved similar speeds six years ago.

4) Always have a pagefile. Always.

Now for anecdotal - hell, I was hitting 12GB+ used on my 2500K last year let alone now when gaming (BF1). I actually had the opportunity to test it in 8GB/16GB on my cousins PC (we were diagnosing crashes) with his GTX 960 and he exceeded 8GB within forty-five minutes or so IIRC.

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 2017, 17:28.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced
25. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 05:23 NewMaxx

VaranDragon wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 17:38:
If they nailed the gameplay who cares about the graphics. What's up with that turned based Battletech game though? Is that out yet?

I'm a backer. They just recently added multiplayer (PVP) to the beta. No story/campaign regardless. The tactical gameplay is pretty decent but promises on campaign are just that: promises. Still, I'm hopeful, being a fan of their Shadowrun games. I should add they leveraged a connection with Piranha (this dev) for 'Mech models.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced
24. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Co-op & Steam Workshop Support Announced Dec 11, 2017, 05:18 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 14:35:
Looks like a game from ten years ago.

Sounds good to me.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 10, 2017, 21:02 NewMaxx

Jagacademy wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 16:35:
I watch and donate to streamers with 5-20 people watching. WTF do I want to donate to a multi-millionaire for?

I am even okay with Patreoning (is that a word? it is now!) like $1 to larger ones like Door Monster - who really do work hard for their craft and have to deal with YT's BS. But there's a big difference between 100k and 10mil. (FYI - according to YT Rewind, there's 2000 channels at 1mil+ subs)

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 10, 2017, 21:00 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Dec 10, 2017, 19:34:
A 6 year makes 11 million bucks a year playing with toys? Are you fucking kidding me? That's it, I'm going to start a Youtube channel of me doing nothing but sitting in a chair scratching my balls. See how many million that nets me.

Haha, I know, right? I saw him on the list and went to check it out...like wtf. I mean to be fair I watch shit like Lamarr Wilson so I get the appeal but when a kid being a kid gets more subs than gems like Primitive Tech...

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 10, 2017, 14:34 NewMaxx

That article on PewDiePie is terrible. I didn't watch and actively disliked the guy for years, but recently I've found his new edginess - towards both old media and YouTube's bullshit - to be quite refreshing. I mean we have the Logans (both with their own spot), Smosh, etc. on that Top Ten list; this isn't exactly quality media. Quite frankly I get bored of seeing the same f'n flavor of the week game being played by all these streamers (most recent example - Getting Over It) when there's so much potential there. Like everything else, popularity kills, luckily there are some good lesser-knowns on YouTube who honestly are far more worthy of our attention, especially when "with his earnings dropping from around $15 million to $12 million. Wah, wah." is a legitimate thing to write (apparently).  

News Comments > GTFO Trailer
4. Re: GTFO Announced Dec 8, 2017, 21:09 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Dec 8, 2017, 17:33:
GT FallOut
Gator Tater Force Omega
Gonna Transform Freedom Online
GRIN. TRANSFORM. FANTASTICS. OPTIMISTICS.
Green Transformation Fighter Oliveridley!

Who is to know?! Smash

Gameplay Trailer For Otters!

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return
13. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Microtransactions May Not Return Dec 8, 2017, 12:22 NewMaxx

When in a job posting (Bungie) you list "progression" (x2), "performance indicators," "monetization" (x3), "engagement patterns," "economy/economies" (x2), and
microtransactions," it's pretty clear that progression = money at this point. The job is literally to find out how best to get money from the player with the least amount of investment. "They're a company, their goal is to make a profit" - might be hard to do if you piss off half your customer base, but who am I to say? They tried to get away with BS and got caught. Bottom line.

Of course I love progression. Golf Story was the first game I bought on my Switch and I 100%'d that shit. It did have a sense of accomplishment and pride for me since I had to master various gameplay mechanics in a natural way that kept things fresh (new courses, new challenges, new clubs, etc). Could a static golf game with just courses be fun? Sure. Would it be AS fun? Questionable. Coming back to the original holes later, it was fun to get 72/72 medals. If they added DLC down the road with more I'd be happy to buy it. Now, if that same game had me spend real $ on lootboxes or boosts or w/e on top of the upfront cost, F no!

News Comments > New Tomb Raider Tease
3. Re: New Tomb Raider Tease Dec 8, 2017, 00:47 NewMaxx

CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 7, 2017, 20:42:
The shadow of the loot box is looming over this one...

Considering Rise of the Tomb Raider was widely reported to have had underwhelming sales while simultaneously adding microtransactions, it wouldn't be a surprise.

News Comments > Get The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for Free
22. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 7, 2017, 18:18 NewMaxx

Annnnnd now Homefront is free. But they totally aren't trying to get notice after the whole IGN thing. Nope. Not at all.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
11. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 1, 2017, 22:23 NewMaxx

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 21:45:
At first I thought it must have been malicious, 'cause if you're shitting *on* someone's driveway, that's a deliberate "fuck you!" However, the surveillance video shows her hiding behind the van's door while dropping it on the edge of the street, almost in the gutter, not the driveway...

My friend and I were once driving down the highway when he got a severe case of diarrhea. As in pull off to the side of the road with the door held open and a sprint kind of severe. There did happen to be a convenience store there. He didn't have time to look for a bathroom so just went into the first door he found, which was apparently the janitor's closet which had been left unlocked. However, he was unable to turn on the lights for reasons unclear, so he simply turned around and dropped his pants and proceeded to go all over the room. Then we left.

While I'm glad that wasn't caught on camera, I've always been curious about the reaction of the janitor when he came back and flipped on the lights.

13. Re: Get The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for Free Dec 1, 2017, 08:22 NewMaxx

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 00:31:
They've been giving away those coupons forever, and they only work if you've never subscribed before. So it's not bringing people back, they're continuing to try and get fresh meat.

I know. I was a monthly subscriber starting with a coupon up until recently. I only pointed out that it had a coupon for those that were interested. Their recent sales on regular games and the # of games they are giving away has accelerated since...you know what.

February-August: I got 4 free titles
Since IGN (Oct 13 announcement): I got 4 free titles

FYI they changed their "legaleze" on Sep 14th (obviously the purchase occurred earlier than announcement) and if you count free titles from that date, it's 6. 6 in 2.5 months versus 4 in 7. Nope. Definitely nothing changed.

1. Re: Get The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for Free Nov 30, 2017, 20:33 NewMaxx

Comes with 10% off humble monthly...

Let me just point out the obvious and say with all their recent sales and giveaways, they are clearly trying to bring people back into the fold after the whole IGN thing. Just saying.

News Comments > EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear
7. Re: EA Says Visceral's Cancelled Star Wars Game Was Too Linear Nov 29, 2017, 21:28 NewMaxx

Translation: they wanted it to jump aboard the "open world" system a la AC, Mad Max, Mordor, GTA, etc. because that's a gateway to MTX and it's "popular." I'll be honest and say I'm very bored of that system of games and although I know it's had its recent successes (Breath of the Wild - which I have arriving tomorrow) to suggest there's no market for a "linear" Star Wars game is downright ridiculous. They're basically saying that such an approach is vintage (5-10 years is forever in game land, apparently) when the reality is it's easier to phone it in and get some MTX income than it is to make an actual compelling story-based game.

(given someone else here linked to AJ's video on BF2 - yes, they f'd up the potential for an innovative campaign)

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
28. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 14:35 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 10:51:
Hahaha what the fuck? No you don't have to balance them.

Came here to post that, glad to see the very first comment addresses it...

The entire concept of "balance" is really based on a modern social paradigm. I mean, sure, games historically are defined by rules that maintain a level playing field, but when you add in money and time that is thrown out the window (unsurprisingly, you also see this with gambling). At first we had games that were designed fairly and then had MTX tacked on; now with games like this we effectively have them designed around MTX. The fact they don't see these two points - which ultimately leads them to creating an unbalanced game that only gets "balanced" through time or money - illustrates that they are building the game around the market. Hey, that makes sense, a company is profit-driven, but the problem is they completely removed the customer from their calculations ("some of the reactions we ultimately got") as if that was an unimportant component. If you're going to design a game objectively, you still have to account for the human element; you can't treat players like cash-giving automatons.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
16. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 19:53 NewMaxx

Dacron wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 19:05:
Still 50% off on uplay atm, at least in my region (Canada).

Still 50% off here, too (US). I take it he meant the next time it's on sale following a free weekend (so he can try it first).

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
11. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 14:47 NewMaxx

Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:08:
I've been meaning to ask. Is this game worth it? 7 bucks for the freemium version and 20 bucks for the standard version are tempting.

I played in the beta and was mostly uninterested due to how far away it was getting from the older games. Later on, within its first year, I checked it out during a free weekend with some friends and I actually really liked it. Picked it up during a sale right after that with no hesitation. Was a good choice - I have about 240 hours in it now. It's not for everyone but I would strongly suggest checking it out over a free weekend before deciding (we just had one). The freemium version is fine - one of my friends has it - but it really limits you in terms of flexibility. I love having all the operators available to me (and the base ones for a reasonable unlock price). If you're someone who "mains" then that might be a different story, also there are always the season passes.

1222 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo