Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1187 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins
59. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 5, 2017, 11:27 NewMaxx

Denuvo is not hard to crack, it's Denuvo + VMProtect. That's always been the case. Denuvo has never had a significant impact on performance; as I stated in the other AC:O thread, the most I've personally tested is ~5%, excluding special cases (the implementation is customized to each title). Nevertheless, we see a 16% performance boost on 6-core Intel chips from the recent patch, and I still say there's some sort of shenanigans going on with the CPU performance, it's just unlikely DRM-related.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 19:22 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:36:
25% goes to the creator, but likely Valve is also taking part of that 75% cut along with Facepunch, because the items being distributed through Valve's workshop.

Indeed, to clarify on what I said about PS2 it was actually 25% of net revenue to creators, which means if Steam/Valve took let's say 30% of face value then in actuality the author would only get 17.5% of face (developer 52.5%), but in any case...developers gets three times as much.

News Comments > Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors
5. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 18:17 NewMaxx

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 11:50:
*Disclaimer* I'm not a Rust player or modder.

Something tells me $1 million is a small fraction of what the Rust developers took in from those skins.

My point of reference would be Planetside 2 which I played for years and worked within the creator community (and to this day I still think Sony approached F2P appropriately and they did work closely with the community). Originally they had the skins split three ways (weapons, vehicles, characters) for let's say $2.50 each and later unified these into a single set for say $5. In the former case the creator might only get 25% of face value but later it was changed to 50/50; now of course the face value went down 33% (7.50 -> 5.00) so this was a concession from the developer, but sales also increased and it made wading through the skins far easier.

Ahem, anyway, I remember it started off at about $10k/quarter so clearly 1 million in comparison is ridiculous. But if I had to guess how much the developers were taking I'd say closer to where PS2 started off, or 75%. That's not atypical at all in the F2P industry. Again, I think PS2's model and changes were admirable but unfortunately we've gone backwards with microtransactions lately (IMHO).

News Comments > Spintires: MudRunner Rolls Out
4. Re: Spintires: MudRunner Rolls Out Oct 31, 2017, 16:50 NewMaxx

That's a decent rundown, JoeNapalm. I had a lot of fun with this game especially in co-op but it's not for everyone. We got out of some impossible situations and mastering all the different vehicles and mechanics was a lot of fun. I also found the engine pretty interesting as you have detailed environments and yet the game takes up very little space. Also, this game had a lot of mods.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 31, 2017, 14:04 NewMaxx

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 31, 2017, 12:40:
Surely you are not claiming rumor as vindication.

There's definitely something janky with the CPU benchmarks I've seen (as I posted in the other thread). I honestly didn't think it was DRM-related and in my own testing (and postings) I have never found Denuvo to have much of an impact on performance (I believe the highest I've tested is ~5% - there are some games where Denuvo has been removed and you can verify this). Denuvo is kind of irrelevant now, anyway, again as I posted months ago, once they lost their license (VMProtect!) their protection was pretty much shit. So if Ubisoft did indeed layer their DRM (poorly/incorrectly) it would explain a lot. Also, Revolt, or RVT, is pretty well-known and accessible (they make tons of Steam cracks and have a presence at cs) so it's not the same as random-internet-user-says.

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 31, 2017, 03:01 NewMaxx

Fits into my expectations (check my replies on here for previous ACO news), I'm glad to be vindicated. There was definitely something wrong.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 30, 2017, 11:14 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Oct 30, 2017, 10:32:
The only bug I've experienced is audio stuttering and scene skipping during early cutscenes that I was able to fix

Other than that, ACO runs buttery smooth on my less than beefy machine.

i7 3770K (not overclocked)
GeForce GTX 960
16GB DDR 1600 RAM
7200 RPM physical hard drive

I think people forget in their pushing to get the latest hardware that most game developers aim for the least common denominator or the happy medium. In other words, they won't optimize for very low-end or high-end machines. I've always had a fantastic PC gaming experience on a computer most people would consider old and outdated. Perhaps it's time to rethink if $500-$1000 for a brand new bleeding edge CPU or video card is worth the cost both to your wallet and to your experience. Over and over again, I see complaints from people with machines that I would consider "enthusiast" level.

Absolutely. What I think we're seeing here is an engine tailored to boost certain CPUs in benchmarks, specifically to encourage people to go one way (Intel) over another (AMD). The reality is, the IPC differential between Sandy Bridge and Coffee Lake is only about 19%. [H] had an article recently showing how good the 2600K is (when overclocked) and there was also a recent 8700K vs. 2600K video which showed that at higher resolutions there was little to no difference.

The CPU makes more of a difference at 1080p and especially with higher FPS - I use a 144 Hz monitor, for example. DX12 and similar technologies will help alleviate this to a large degree (again, this engine is older and DX11-based). Likewise DX12 will utilize more cores/threads. My point again is that for an old engine to be using "at least 8 cores" and then having results like this makes no sense, but regardless at 60 FPS it's pretty irrelevant anyway.

This game with some patches should run smoothly on "mediocre" systems, yes, and in most cases it already does. So it's clear there's a bit of an agenda here to get people to upgrade a certain way (and honestly I suspect a similar issue with AMD vs. NVIDIA on this game, but that's for another day) but that doesn't mean they are astroturfing regular systems. Just seems like there is a bit of "optimization" for certain architectures.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 30, 2017, 06:03 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2017, 14:03:
as for ACO it likes them cores, especially the iNtel flavored ones http://digiworthy.com/2017/10/29/assassins-creed-origins-cpu-benches/

Just FYI for people on here, and I hate posting this kind of information because I get hate (and it's why I didn't post it on [H]), but this DX11 engine is quite obviously (IMHO) tailored specifically for the 6/6 and 6/12 CFL chips. Yes, I'm sure an outdated engine (which it is on PC) is capable of utilizing a 8700K but has the 7700K matching the 1800X in both avg. FPS and frametimes despite being able to use 8+ cores. /s

Ahem, I've previously stated on here that games use up to 6 cores/threads - I've posted that in support of people upgrading to i7s, leveraging my own 2500K vs 6700K data on multiple occasions - so I am by no means suggesting a 4/4 chip is relevant regardless of clocks. I'm just stating that this engine's performance is fishy and should be no means by used to gauge future gaming performance whatsoever.

FWIW I would never settle for less than a 6/12 (e.g. 1600, 8700) or 4/8-6/6 chip (e.g. 7700, 8600), keeping in mind that a HT thread is worth about 30% of a full core clock-per-clock (which would put the stock 7700K close to the 8600K in many cases, which is why it's no mystery it was matching AMD's top desktop chip 1800X...oh no that's not a coincidence! /s) - and for the record a proper DX12 engine would utilize Ryzen far better than this one.

P.S. I haven't purchased an AMD CPU in about a decade and I posted skepticism on Ryzen here when it launched, but I call it like I see it, and this is a "bought" game plain and simple

This comment was edited on Oct 30, 2017, 06:15.

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs
14. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus System Specs Oct 24, 2017, 22:57 NewMaxx

Considering the difference between a 3770 and 4770 is like 5% and the 8350 and 9370 is like 6%...then you have cards like the 290 and 470 which are <10% apart...not entirely sure about the relevance of these specs. 16GB vs 8GB, sure, and 1060 vs the rest, sure, but really the Min CPU should be an i5 and the Rec AMD GPU should be a 480.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Season Details
12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 21, 2017, 19:34 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 21, 2017, 19:15:
Star_full Star_full Star_full Star_full Star_half

We can make this a five star thread as soon as someone labels their forum adversary 'Hitler'. We're almost there guys, don't give up!

I have no adversaries, merely topographies of ignorance.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Season Details
10. Re: Destiny 2 Season Details Oct 21, 2017, 19:13 NewMaxx

I actually thought it was a pretty good "port" in technical terms. It was their other decisions that made me wary of purchasing the PC version.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
26. Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 20, 2017, 14:39 NewMaxx

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 13:08:
So basically wait for the $9.99 sale, because this PC version is a distant second fiddle to the PS4 version, and has locked out content for 1 year or more, etc.

Thanks for the heads up, Bungie!

My advice that I posted here during the beta was: get the console version, or wait for the PC version to be heavily discounted. I stand by that assertion. A lot of people defended Destiny 2 against beta criticisms ("it's just a beta," "that's how this game is supposed to be," etc.) but the bottom line is, if you're not a Destiny veteran/fan and you insist on playing on PC, this is definitely a "wait to buy." (and, yes, that means a year+)

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 20, 2017, 01:33 NewMaxx

Better watch out for the alternative rouge AI!  

News Comments > Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout
9. Re: Cities: Skylines - Green Cities Sprout Oct 19, 2017, 14:30 NewMaxx

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:55:
Most Paradox games are very very DLC heavy

This is very true. It often comes back to bite them in the ass as the fans have panned quite a few DLC choices (ones where mods do better) and their expensive splitting of the community (overpriced DLC combined with "necessary" parts of some DLC). Of course, they do make very mod-friendly games, and their DLC does go on sale fairly often (usually in an attempt to garner new users, like Steel Division recently). It's important to note that much of their userbase enjoys all of these little things (down to the models) and I even found myself buying the SD DLC the other week because I wanted to support them and I love the game. Skylines has a broader base, I think, but its fans are equally dedicated; I guess you could call this exploitative behavior but really, the users express discontent when they desire and Paradox usually has to address it.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 19:07 NewMaxx

Windows 10 LTSB FTW  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 18, 2017, 14:04 NewMaxx

Programmable objects? Check out the game Else Heart.Break().  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback
32. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Incorporating Beta Feedback Oct 13, 2017, 21:06 NewMaxx

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 19:56:
Now if you want to go the DPS route, someone who can use a special ability for 100 damage every 10 seconds vs someone who can use a special ability for 100 damage every 9 or 8 or 7 or 6 seconds is NOT the same. Quicker cool down=more damage/protection/magic voodoo/whatever.

I have no dog in this fight (I won't be buying the game and didn't even bother to beta the original) but this is an important point. When you're dealing with a modern multi-player game, meta is king. Being able to reach the heights of meta faster is crucial. You will simply have those that can play a ridiculous amount, as per usual (and many of these will spend $ anyway just for a one-day edge), and those who can't play who will spend their way to the top of the meta. It's as simple as that. When it comes to meta, +1% is still +1%, if you don't understand that then I suggest you check out something like The Division where they would laugh your ass out of the chat for suggesting 1% here and there with a finite time advantage wasn't critical to getting and staying on top.

Ahem, that all being said, I do think they worked harder on this game (<3 Criterion) but I don't know that it will do better in sales financially. A lot of people were butthurt over the first game (justifiably) and you have a lot of "fans" (e.g. Angry Joe) who spotted this out as a travesty well before the recent beta (which then confirmed their suspicions). I hear a lot of people saying this is closer to BF than the previous game, which is good, although it still felt a bit arcade to me (subjective), but ultimately it's a theme park attraction and that's the perfect target for micro-monetization. If you're trying to justify it as a meaty purchase I have to think you're on drugs.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2017, 23:00 NewMaxx

Read through the entire thing. This is the bottom line:

"We will work to make sure the system is balanced both for players who want to earn everything, as well as for players who are short on time and would like to move faster in their progress towards various rewards."

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII PC Open Beta Begins
2. Re: Call of Duty: WWII PC Open Beta Begins Sep 28, 2017, 21:36 NewMaxx

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 21:19:
Yup, it's call of Doody. Historical accuracy? Hell no. Good graphics? Sure, for 2007. more than 12 players? Nope!

6v6 and small maps is where it's at, SHITLORD! /s

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Patch Includes Major Changes
7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Patch Includes Major Changes Sep 27, 2017, 13:53 NewMaxx

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 10:51:
Really fun game with actually a pretty decent learning curve, if you get into an outfit with coordination it becomes ultra fun.

I played entirely alone (one-man outfit) and did pretty well. To be fair, it took well over 100 hours for me to get over 1.0 KDR doing that, and I would never suggest a new(er) player do anything but run with an outfit. However after 650+ hours I managed BR70 or so with 4.2+ KDR entirely solo so it is possible...but I agree it's a LOT more fun with coordination. I usually freelance my way into a platoon but my favorite pastime is troll-defending bases solo or with a handful of people versus a larger enemy. Still fun to this day, I just stopped playing when they decided to update and change shit constantly and I couldn't keep up.

1187 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo