Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1190 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Battlefield 4 Night Operations Next Month
15. Re: Battlefield 4 Night Operations Next Month Aug 25, 2015, 13:40 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2015, 11:35:
Has anyone seen this trick in BF and other similar games where players eject out of a jet, kill their follower, then land back in the plane? I've seen a bunch of looping gifs on Reddit showing players pulling off this difficult move. Is there a name for this?

What's funny is that I was one of the first to do it in BF1942, and then again in the DC mod. It's actually pretty common in Planetside 2. If you're looking for a name, it's called the Dead Man's Switch.

(that's not the PS2 term for it, but it's what we, "the originators," referred to it as)

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 2015, 13:46.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen
100. Re: More Derek Smart vs. Star Citizen Aug 24, 2015, 18:59 NewMaxx

Hey, they're still doing a lot better than the Phantom console, right?  

News Comments > On Trine 3's Length and Future
13. Re: On Trine 3's Length and Future Aug 22, 2015, 22:40 NewMaxx

Slashman wrote on Aug 22, 2015, 21:02:
Frozenbyte are not a new studio. They've been around. Why would they budget so poorly for something like this?

The fact that they point to needing three times as much to make the game as long as they wanted to is pretty telling. 15 million isn't a huge amount for a game these days and while I have no doubt that the "3D" design pushed costs higher, they admit that at 5.4 million it cost triple of Trine 2. That means they needed a budget almost TEN TIMES higher to go from "2D" to "3D." I don't really buy that.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Delayed
11. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Delayed Aug 19, 2015, 06:54 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 03:23:
they changed stuff? if "stuff" is code for "everything" then colour me interested

I definitely didn't mean everything. More like basics, kill speed, mechanics, defense and health values. Things of that nature. Very much critical to any real player but they are perfecting a very certain type of play. It's definitely not the Rainbow Six of old.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Delayed
3. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Delayed Aug 18, 2015, 17:49 NewMaxx

I don't think anybody was surprised by this. Those who were in testing saw some glaring issues and Ubisoft actually made some significant changes, it was clear that balance and gameplay weren't nearly ready for release.  

News Comments > Quote of the Day
5. Re: Quote of the Day Aug 17, 2015, 13:31 NewMaxx

Dying Light is incredible in co-op. I played the entire way through with my cousin and we're about to do New Game Plus with a friend of mine who will be on New Game. You can mix and match difficulties thankfully, it's going to be a blast. Really some of the best co-op memories in recent history for both of us, hope to get a few more out of it with the expansion pack!  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Aug 16, 2015, 20:15 NewMaxx

Acleacius wrote on Aug 16, 2015, 18:03:
Isn't VoIP peer to peer, making it unsecured?

Peer to peer can actually be more secure than traditional (client-server) models. I say "can be" because it's largely up to the application on how well it's implemented. The idea that traditional voice systems are more secure is a bit outdated. The problem is, there's been this culture where "peer-to-peer" instantly means insecure despite the fact that properly supported protocols are more secure than what they are replacing. Effective systems exist throughout enterprise, you just don't hear about it because they work.

I haven't looked at all into Curse's system. I will have to, and will certainly report back on that in the future with my findings.

News Comments > etc.
10. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2015, 19:16 NewMaxx

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 18:39:
So their description is still utter bullshit. 9 sensors is not the same as 9 axes. And I'll be damned if I can see how magnetometers are of the slightest value in this, unless they plan games that include metal detectors.

I didn't actually see it anywhere, I just have a background in robotics and when someone says a "9-axis sensor" they usually mean 3x3x3. The magnetometer could be used for measuring absolute orientation, GPS, and as a method of interacting with other devices (i.e., magnetic strength could be used to determine distances between objects). I didn't read anything about this controller but my assumption would be one possible usage would be a "virtual reality" type game based on realistic landscape.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2015, 16:59 NewMaxx

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 15, 2015, 13:27:
9-axis motion control sensor, really?

I'm skeptical, too, in terms of how useful it'll be. As far as the axes go, it's a 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, and 3-axis compass (magnetometer).

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 15, 2015, 14:15 NewMaxx

Competition is always good, but it's hard not to think of "beware the Greeks, even bearing gifts."  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
5. Re: Evening Safety Dance Aug 14, 2015, 23:38 NewMaxx

For those curious about what's so secret about the trade pact, it's not a huge deal. I know everybody loves to bash the "behind close doors" mentality on it but the reason they are hiding it is because they believe the average person won't understand it and will overreact. Both are true.

Here's the lo-down, which I feel safe posting to this relatively quiet site: we're making concessions but expecting some in return. The general idea is that we have more say over the regulations applied to foreign (read: Chinese) companies and have more power to drive a wedge between the state government and these businesses. Essentially, it gives us a way to make sure safety standards and human rights are respected. In return, we're basically selling the (our) average citizen out.

That last part is where people would flip if they read the bill. These are the same people who cry out against Chinese companies doing whatever they want, poor safety standards, human rights violations, etc., but they're not willing to trade any of their property or rights to gain that for the foreign workers. They expect Chinese companies to be culpable with nothing in return but "our business."

There, I've explained it. It's definitely a case where our government thinks it knows better than us and it is willing to go to extremes to get it done. Exactly like Obamacare (The Affordable Healthcare Act) in premise, just for trade. Both had secrets, this one just has more because the results will have profound effects on global markets.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 11, 2015, 15:19 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Aug 11, 2015, 14:15:
Yeah, I sometimes feel like I'm in 90s USENET with the outdated big bad Micro$oft bullshit. Some of the stuff people say Microsoft is going to do, people have been saying for 20+ years.

What's REALLY funny is reading these comments from people (not necessarily on here, I mean on forums at large) who willingly give up even more information on a daily basis with their pacifier-like Android smartphone whilst checking in on their social media. I gave a very antagonistic reply the last time privacy concerns came up on here and I won't do that this time but, really, Google and Facebook treat it like a commodity while Microsoft at least tries to make a better OS experience out of it and yet all I see is miles of Windows 10 hate. I could write multiple books on why privacy is a thing of the past but getting back to the article at hand...

It states 200 million people use ad-blocking software. Not a truly huge number yet, certainly not if you count mobile devices.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 10, 2015, 19:47 NewMaxx

descender wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 15:58:
EDIT: The reviewer that tested the 3 OS's in that article apparently has never heard of diminishing returns. Testing them with that beefy of a computer was really pointless. Oh if I spend $3k on a machine you can't tell the speed difference between them? Great! /s

The reviewer isn't much sensible at all. He measures Windows 10 as having the slowest boot time but admits "surely these results will vary depending on hardware used, configuration and state of the operating system after months of use, patching and third party apps taking its inevitable toll." Well, yeah, plus the entire thing where the OS needs to be operated a while to take advantage of elements involved in quick booting. Likewise he has Windows 10 being the fastest at sleep/hibernation returns which completely ignores the fact that modern CPU power states are different; for example, new Intel chips don't even truly hibernate anymore.

The synthetic benchmarks chosen are all irrelevant by today's standards. Applications chosen for performance vary from those that aren't relevant - there are far better browser tests, but those tell you more about the CPU than the OS - and those that are reliant on the hard drive or other elements of the system more than the OS. In fact the only relevant tests in the entire review are the gaming ones, but then he goes and uses games that get no benefit from different Windows versions (for ex, BF4 notably does better under Win 8.1 than 7).

Just an overall horrible article. Take it from me, someone who rigorously tests OS for workstation, enterprise, and VM use, this review is just about completely useless for anybody who actually is considering the OS from a performance perspective.

News Comments > Rainbow Six: Siege Beta Keys?
2. Re: Rainbow Six: Siege Beta Keys? Aug 10, 2015, 11:52 NewMaxx

Well, you know, there have been sites that joined in key giveaways that simply collected your information. The ESO beta for example had a fake site or two that then used the information the user put in for registration - user, password, and other personal information - to later hack into accounts. Not saying this is the case here, I just advise people be very careful about what information they put out there in general. Standard security policies apply.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2015, 11:38 NewMaxx

Season one was definitely better. No contest. I do think season two is better than many give it credit for, though. The only real issue I have with it is Vince Vaughn's character, or rather the writing for him. There have just been some really bad lines that make it hard to take seriously. Otherwise I feel the build-up has had a different bit of pacing but different isn't worse.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2015, 00:14 NewMaxx

shihonage wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 16:54:
Good riddance. Too bad this clown will only be replaced by another.

I strangely agree. I wouldn't use the words and rhetoric that you did, but in essence we're on the same page. I liked him at first but it didn't take me long to realize what he really was; any true student of history can see through the facade. I'm younger, my friends like him, I don't disparage him in front of them. I respect his entertainment value and I actually thought he could have been a force when he first arrived on the scene. He ended up a caricature and a mockery of "freedom of the press" by making political bias trendy.

Yet any student of history knows that editorials - always popular and famous in political and government courses - were always that. They were about shock value, about contemporary events, about making fun of what was serious. The difference today is people actually accept that as news and that we have "instant" communication.

Editorials in history had impact because they were controversial and led to discussion. Stewart never did that; he was the physical comedy rendition of it. A quick laugh that made people think they were smart with enough actual information that they thought they understood the issues when in reality they might as well have been watching a magician's show. It was rendered as comedy but it quickly became more than that. I don't believe that shows a weakness in broadcasting so much as a weakness in viewership; as you say, it's nothing new, just people lean towards the cynical more than ever.

I find it kind of sad but it's difficult to fight something where the average supporter feels better about himself from watching. It's an addiction but it's also elitist. The person thinks, hey, I understand what he is saying, I agree with it, we're smarter than these other people! The entire while they fail to see just how blindly they follow.

News Comments > Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending
22. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 7, 2015, 02:23 NewMaxx

Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2015, 01:57:
New Vegas was better than FO3 is almost every way.

I disagree, and many reviewers agree with me; FO3 has significantly higher metacritic and gamerankings scores. The New Vegas Ultimate does have a small edge on FO3's GOTY, and players on metacritic prefer NV, but on the whole they come out pretty equal by those standards. To be honest I thought NV was the shit when I played it and I didn't even get through FO3. I changed my mind after Skyrim when I realized packing a game full of 1000 little areas is actually annoying and detracts from my enjoyment. I went back and replayed FO3 with GOTY and mods and that tighter narrative was much more enjoyable, and it seems FO4 is going back that way.

Don't get me wrong, FO3's story isn't going to win awards and NV (especially some of the DLC) had some awesome writing, I'm just talking outright enjoyment. My initial pass went fully to NV; after Skyrim (which bored the hell out of me with its tediousness) and a replay of FO3 and NV with GOTY/Ultimate + DLC + mods, I actually swing back in favor of FO3. I couldn't stand another game filled with 1000000000 of the same looped-ass dungeon type areas like NV and Skyrim have. Bottom line, I am a completionist type player but frankly I'm getting too old for that crap and I just want to sit down and enjoy a straight narrative sometimes, and news flash the average gamer is getting old enough to appreciate that along with me.

I do otherwise agree with you in general about Bethesda games and the good writing in NV, but I don't necessarily consider NV vastly superior.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2015, 02:31.

News Comments > Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending
16. Re: Fallout 4: No Level Cap; Play Past the Ending Aug 6, 2015, 21:52 NewMaxx

Ray Marden wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 19:21:
F4 doesn't seem like it is really pushing any new boundaries

Really? Huh. I got the opposite impression. New Vegas was more of the same, but FO4 seems to be adding way more advanced crafting, building, city and trade management, a new interface for power suits, a new skill system (from what I understand), better companion maintenance, and a whole lot more. That's what I gleaned from a video or two I've seen anyway. I don't think people want drastically different in other areas - it has to remain true to the Fallout universe and the engine needs to support modding to the extreme. To be honest when I saw the videos I was shocked by how many boundaries it was pushing.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
42. Re: I had privacy once... Aug 4, 2015, 23:13 NewMaxx

Some of you guys crack me up.

We want our privacy! Sure, but you'll get shittier services in return. It's not rocket science. More information means better accuracy, better accuracy means more convenience. People act like they're some, okay let's use the term, "special snowflake," when in reality you can be categorized with 95%+ accuracy within a month or two of recording your searches. Racial profiling, prejudice! No, it's the facts. I want my privacy! Then you can fall behind in productivity because you'll never keep up with progressing society. It's a fact, it's a reality, deal with it.

You have the people who complain about apps not delivering enough or being perfect turning around and being hypocrites by refusing to supply the data that would make them better; you guys are part of the problem, not the solution. Privacy is no longer the issue, it's more of getting greater value in return for the trade. Giving up your privacy for their gain is stupid, giving it up for your or the greater gain is not. Simple. Saying that giving up some privacy regardless of the reasons or rationale is somehow equivalent to 1984 is just naive and, to be quite honest, backwards-thinking.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs
6. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials; WoW at 5.6M Subs Aug 4, 2015, 18:44 NewMaxx

Until my death bed I will continue to argue that WoW was not an exceptional MMO so much as the first game to slide closer towards MOBA than MMO. Its demise is directly linked to the rise and success of MOBAs. NKD mentions Cataclysm as the first decline - yeah, right after the launch of DOTA2. People always compare MMOs to WoW and expect an explanation for its success, the problem is its popularity stems from characteristics closer to a MOBA than a MMO. It's like saying Homo Sapiens has been more successful than Australopithecus, and then saying the former is the "ape to beat!" WoW was innovative in that it was less MMO, not in that it was the best MMO; it changed the formula. Now it has been surpassed by the games that evolved from that, the MOBA genre, while the MMO genre keeps on like the chimpanzee it is. WoW is the missing link.  

1190 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo