Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1190 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
1. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 21, 2017, 08:14 NewMaxx

Woohoo, a driver for Mass Effect: Agenda!

(I kid, I kid)

Been playing the full thing since yesterday thanks to my VPN. So far, so good, although like many newer titles it plays significantly better in fullscreen than borderless.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
13. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 10:39 NewMaxx

Just finished the trial (entire romp will be up on my YT channel) and I'll be holding on to my pre-order (and actually playing it soon - VPN unlocks in 20 minutes). I'd say the reviews (avg 7.5 so far) are pretty spot-on: a bit above average but nothing to write home about. For fans of the ME universe and those who enjoy the combat (I rather like it so far), it's a smidgen better than that. I do think some of the controversy swirling around about this title has hurt it but the guy who said basically "DA:I in space" is pretty close. I enjoyed DA:I so I expect to enjoy this - but I don't think it'll last in memory or win any awards.  

News Comments > etc.
38. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2017, 09:15 NewMaxx

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 06:14:
I heard of it but never looked it up. Why?

It was another case of misogyny/bullying in gaming related to the perceived ineptitude of the target (Raymond was accused of being chosen for her looks rather than talent). It's relevant to the discussion. As far as my saying "look it up" - my point was that it's very difficult to find, now, largely due to backlash from Ubisoft and others. For the record the target here is actually sufficiently talented according to a source/friend who posted over at [H].

News Comments > etc.
36. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2017, 06:08 NewMaxx

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 23:24:
Assassin's Creed released Nov 13th 2007 (the 1st one and most of the series in the franchise) has had an AMAZING set of very fluid animations over all sorts of terrain. Riding horses, climbing walls, parkour, moving through crowds, etc. Again BACK IN 2007.

Interesting that you mention Assassin's Creed. Anybody else remember the infamous Jade Raymond comic? (for an added bonus, try to find it using a Google search)

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access
65. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 19, 2017, 22:43 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 17:46:
Ah, okay. The entire concept of an FTL sensor is inane, but I'll accept a Magical McSpaceGuffin. :)

It's explained by a specific person (Suvi) after a specific question - honestly I was surprised when the topic was brought up. I remembered your post on here about it and laughed a little! It seems like it ends up as part of the Codex, too. Unfortunately YouTube in their infinite wisdom again removed the specific title for MEA so once more my upload broke...sigh...but I'll have the spoken part soon.

*edit* here's the relevant bit

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2017, 01:28.

63. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 19, 2017, 16:31 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 13:25:
There's also a pretty massive plothole in the early storyline. They're saying that the reason the golden planets aren't what they thought they were anymore because they are going by data that's 600 years old, and the Kett clearly moved in 3 to 400 years ago.

But that idea of 600 year old data is ridiculous, because they've also explicitly said that they determined the golden planets by examining the light from the stars and its interactions with surrounding planets, and from that made determinations on the viability of said planets. So then, of course, they were not working with 600 year old data, but with 2.5 MILLION year old data.

This is actually explained. I have the full spoken explanation in my latest video which I'm posting this evening, I'll come back and link to that part. If you don't care for that and just want a "tl;dr" for now: Geth technology allows for a FTL sensor.

News Comments > Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan
16. Re: Star Citizen Swapping DX12 for Vulkan Mar 19, 2017, 13:18 NewMaxx

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 12:21:
Was pleasantly surprised that this thread is focused on the delay tactic.

I find this funny because I'd been in the unenviable position of having, let's say, friends with addictions, who all tend to be notorious for their "delay tactics." Borrowed some money? Well once I sell my skateboard and BMX collection...but with eBay being what it is, it might be a while...oh wait I need the money for rent first...I'll get back to you! Reminds me exactly of that, haha.

Obligatory: https://youtu.be/7k3rDSai8WU?t=7

News Comments > etc.
21. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 19, 2017, 06:52 NewMaxx

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 15:41:
but it wasn't white people who came here against their will in chains, to serve as chattel slaves, and then to be freed only to face lynchings and Jim Crow, and it wasn't white people who were driven from their lands and nearly hunted to extinction in the name of the "Progress of Civilization" and "Manifest Destiny".

Whites were hardly the only people who engaged in the slave trade - natives and Muslims had a massive hand in it (and it was also outright tradition for their societies in warfare), and that's ignoring the rampant slavery that went on in all parts of the world throughout history (if not on the same scale - although proportionate to populations it did happen). Reconstruction was a disaster - it would be almost a century between the end of the American Civil War and the Civil Rights Act - but "elite" blacks were even worse than their white peers. Read Pakenham's The Scramble for Africa, the entire Oxford History of the United States series, and books about the colonial period (The Great Game et al.); it's pretty eye-opening. For example, a large part of continued slavery in the U.S. was due to Britain's market controls, not terribly unlike how we leveraged cheap labor in China. Yes, the Brits were largely white (and believed in white supremacy for a great time after outlawing slavery), but that's besides the point.

About 90-95% of Native Americans died to disease before a single English colonist had even set foot in the New World. They were hardly peaceful people to begin with, anyway. Mann's two works, 1491 and 1493 dovetail nicely with In the Hands of the Great Spirit on this subject. Again, pretty much a disaster, as for example the Oxford series follows Andrew Jackson's outright atrocities. On the other hand, these peoples were divisive and usually more racist against their peers than the whites (as with the Creoles) - especially against "half-breeds." The point I'm making in both cases is that racism was never limited to whites (check out modern events under Mugabe et al.). It's popular today to paint Columbus as a lying monster (which in many respects is an over-reaction given his time), and yes Iberians and Italians are white - but both actually had a lot of influence from previous Islamic cultures (southern parts of both countries). The Pursuit of Italy and Imperial Spain are good on the subject.

As for using "their dominance to exploit and oppress certain minority races and religious and ethnic groups" - yeah, peoples of all ethnicities did this throughout history, the Ottoman Empire being a strong example. This is a more sticky subject but Crowley's 1453 is a good start. It's en vogue today to have historical revisionism where the good guys become bad and the bad guys become good, but there's really no sugarcoating the fact that of the hundreds of civilizations I've read about, 99% were genocidal assholes at one time or another (look up modern genocides - since and including the 20th century), and slave-mongers to the core. Putting white people on a separate standard because they "won" some sort of cultural or technological race is intrinsically fallacious. Just consider the caste system in India (Keay's India is a good read). If humans are all truly the same with no racial factor, then it's safe to say we're all equally assholes if put in the same position.

Hey, I get what you're saying, and I actually agree with you on some level. It's definitely not an equivalency as advocates for minority races are inherently at a disadvantage. It's just that these things tend to fish-tail as with revolutions and counter-revolutions; it's dangerous to make exceptions when your rallying cry is supposed to be equality. Jesus, Gandhi, and King, to name a few, were the ones to have the right modern approach, and all three would roll in their graves (figuratively speaking) at reading the bullshit from this ex-BioWare dev. He's spouting hate for hate's sake as if that somehow will improve his lot. This is a pretty black and white case - nothing like the great globalism vs. nationalism debate taking place around the world - and while I'm proud to be white, I'm more proud to be an inclusive United States citizen. Hate is the destroyer.

This comment was edited on Mar 19, 2017, 07:12.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer
40. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer Mar 19, 2017, 06:14 NewMaxx

Quinn wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 00:40:
That doesn't mean neutral. Fuck neutral.

Tell my wife..."hello."

17. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2017, 08:35 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 02:06:
Official Bioware stance is that the reason for a lack of paler skin options is a limitation with their head scanning tech. There's a limit to how pale they can make the skin before they get artifacting or something.

This is at least partially accurate (from a technological standpoint), the problem I have with that explanation is that if they're willing to be so careful to avoid visual blemishes then what the hell happened with facial expressions/animations, raw physical quality, etc.? It's like they went to great efforts to avoid "too white" causing issues but then shrugged their shoulders when everything else looked ridiculous. Honestly it reminds me of the few times I've been in charge of teams and someone comes up to me saying their code doesn't allow for something - and I'm like, well, why the F did you code it that way then? Go fix it, I'm not going to change the parameters of the entire project to fit something that's obviously limited from the get go. There's poor management somewhere here and I think that's the real story.

16. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer Mar 18, 2017, 08:28 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 05:22:
I don't see any impact of that one insane dev guy who hates white people, the default characters are white.

https://youtu.be/6MEKM2amQ2E?t=74

Hard to defend that, to be honest. Apologies in advance for linking to PewNaziPie.

15. Re: On Sale Mar 18, 2017, 06:29 NewMaxx

I all but expect "SJW" motivations in any artistic medium these days and while I don't necessarily agree that there seems to be massive anti-White intent here, I did have some trouble making a proper "white" character when I was tooling around in the character creator. I like to represent famous people when I make characters (I did a "Dick Winters" motif in the original trilogy) so I ended up using the "Custom" template to make something like Zheng He. Good enough for me, I haven't been bludgeoned by anything during my gameplay so far, but I have no doubt I'll come across eyeroll- and cringe-worthy dialogue at some point. kx mentions WD2 (still playing through that) and I had to just assume it was satirical in design in order to accept its premises. I don't see any conspiracies here as EA still wants to make money and games have to be marketed towards their audience, but I also think it's naive to assume a lack of an agenda.  

58. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 18, 2017, 05:55 NewMaxx

Not bad, Creston. Finished my third session with four hours to go on the trial but I already have a pre-order in my back pocket at GMG (which I will probably keep). I agree with everything you said and have to say my biggest gripe is probably the UI, but that being said the game does have native support for the Logitech Orion keyboards which, quite honestly, is nice. The Division had it, but Wildlands does not; Battlefield 1 has it, and so does Andromeda. Consistency. That's really all I can add at this time but I should have a fuller picture after I finish the trial...but I will add that I do think the response to the game has been nothing but massive overreaction.  

55. Re: On Sale Mar 17, 2017, 21:34 NewMaxx

Wow, kx wasn't wrong.  

54. Re: On Sale Mar 17, 2017, 18:40 NewMaxx

Finally got up my second video, seems like YouTube added then removed a specific title under Gaming for this game and that broke my upload twice. Was tired so nevermind my terrible combat and lore-delving, but hey, I like to take my time.

Still intending to do ~2 hrs a day until trial ends so people can see the first 10 hours and the 3rd video (pending more issues) should be up tonight. Having a lot of fun with it but I can see potential "grind" issues on the horizon with resource gathering...time will tell.

Good sleuthing by kxmode...man, I don't like to read that! Also the original Styx was great (if a bit repetitive) and I intend to get around to the "sequel" next. Budget stealth? Yes, please. It's nice to see a new IP being investigated, too.

35. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 16, 2017, 23:45 NewMaxx

Put in another 2 hours tonight and will be posting the video when it's ready (~3 hours). I did keep an eye on performance. 6700K@4.4GHz and GTX 1080 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming) are the relevant specs. CPU was generally between 40-50% usage with up to 70% on spikes, GPU was generally 50-60% with up to 70% on spikes. 1080p with auto-detect: everything on max except 3 settings one tick down - HBAO (vs. HBAO Full), Lighting, and Effects. This was while recording with NVENC and at a 60 FPS cap. I may turn those 3 up for the next installment to see performance at 'maximum.'  

6. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 16, 2017, 11:53 NewMaxx

I'll be making videos of my playing during the trial, with the first one here. Wasn't planning on testing multiplayer but I will post back with performance results when I get the chance.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
45. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 01:06 NewMaxx

Yep, enjoying the trial from Origin Access. I'm making videos of my playthrough of at least through the first 10 hours (minus character creation and any deep menu diving) to help those on the fence. My first video is available here.

For the record I'm running it with a 1080 (at 1080p) flawlessly - but I wasn't really paying attention to the exact performance. I'll report back on that next time, but I do have the newest driver and had no noticeable issues.

As far as initial impressions go: enjoying myself so far but I won't feel confident saying anything solid until my ten hours are up.

This comment was edited on Mar 16, 2017, 01:24.

News Comments > Styx: Shards of Darkness Released
3. Re: On Sale Mar 15, 2017, 22:59 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 22:18:
Bad decision to release this a week before MEA.

Ha, yeah, exactly. I liked Styx and intend to play this but I'm already knee-deep in MEA during the trial period, not to mention Wildlands. Might be a while until I get back to this...

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
28. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 13, 2017, 20:52 NewMaxx

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

"AMD believes that the Windows® 10 thread scheduler is operating properly for 'Zen,' and we do not presently believe there is an issue with the scheduler adversely utilizing the logical and physical configurations of the architecture." (as posted on Blues today)

1190 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo