Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1222 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 13:10 NewMaxx

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 11:56:
Actually, talking about this.... when launching Notepad++ I'm getting the error message about msvcp140.dll not being available. I tried the solution suggestions of putting the file into the correct Windows directory, but it doesn't seem to have resolved the issue. Can someone point me to a fix?

PATH issue, never a good thing. Some dependency somewhere is corrupted. Latest VC should do it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment?
3. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 1, 2018, 15:54 NewMaxx

You know, I played Guild Wars 2 at launch and there was a place where you could endlessly farm once you reached the endgame. After say fifteen minutes you would get locked out for five from "good" drops on those enemies. It was very much still worth it (you could just take mini breaks, and I did) and they patched that out almost immediately. I was able to max out everything in a day or two, anyway.

Now, there were several things wrong there. The first was that GW2 wanted to give credit to everybody who helped in an encounter (or did damage) so you had people pile up to farm there. The second problem was the respawn rate was too high. The third problem was the drops were probably too consistently good. And, lastly, the fact they had to institute a blanket throttling system as a catch-all seemed heavy-handed to me.

At the time GW2 was embroiled in other exploit controversies (which people did get banned for) and both were bad because it enabled people to jump far ahead of people who didn't get the chance (I actually got bored and quit the game after acquiring everything, so). Nevertheless I think it shows that balancing these sort of things has synergy with MTX and the tendency moves away from, "let's keep people from ruining the game for themselves" to "let's keep people grinding and paying" pretty quickly. Proper design - and I mean design geared towards the player's enjoyment - should avoid these circumstances, of course. Yet it seems developers have greater concern for keeping people latched onto their games by artificially limiting progress, as if somehow that to not do so would reveal the true paucity of their content.

News Comments > BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG
34. Re: BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG Dec 29, 2017, 15:34 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 15:15:
Yeah, I'm hopeful that better, more realistic AI can help create more compelling experiences when you don't feel like interacting with human beings and all of their issues.

I like to think Sartre foresaw multiplayer gaming. "Hell is other people." That's how I see it.

29. Re: BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG Dec 29, 2017, 09:59 NewMaxx

The fact that developer Douchebag McGillicutty...excuse me, the great and unerring benevolence that is Brendan Greene...thinks that region locking is xenophobic is enough to make you question his sanity, let alone some of the other shit he's said. Your game is going to be held back by such narrow thinking as that and "copying is bad" (hell, strong competitors to his game might be the fuel he needs to get off his ass and implement some real fixes). What I find most interesting is that some people say he was referring specifically to things like Chinese knock-offs in that latter comment, yet we have him decrying racism against Chinese on things like cheating here. For those unable to follow, both of those things (denying would-be copies and foregoing a region lock) have an economic benefit for the guy talking out of his ass...  

8. Re: BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG Dec 28, 2017, 20:22 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Dec 28, 2017, 20:00:
Is the company pronounced Battle Eye or Battle Ye? Inquiring for a friend.

It's actually Bat'tl Eye, as in it doesn't bat an eye when it condemns a cheater.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Fans Urge Everse Reverse
19. Re: Destiny 2 Fans Urge Everse Reverse Dec 27, 2017, 00:26 NewMaxx

Yes, no, of course. Cosmetic-only payments are fine. They don't take work away from major glaring issues at all. They exist in a vacuum don't cha know!

Tire fire of a game. Like I said during/after beta, this is a wait 1+ year for a steep sale for any self-respecting PC gamer. Not entirely sure why the apologists keep coming out for this one. "Oh, but it's not P2W!" So? So the F what?! "The ancient good old days of gaming are dead!" No. No, they're not. We still have excellent developers. Allowing this type of shit to continue makes you part of the problem, not the solution.

This comment was edited on Dec 27, 2017, 01:12.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities
11. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities Dec 25, 2017, 08:53 NewMaxx

ItBurn wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 00:34:
I disagree. I think that the Division is MUCH more repetitive than >95% of loot-based action RPGs. Not enough enemy variety, not enough loot variety, not enough gameplay variety. The settings isn't a good excuse for the extreme repetition.

That's another reason we (my friends and I) stopped playing/got bored but we kind of expected it after the betas because of the setting. May not be a good excuse but I'd be willing to overlook that shortcoming if the mechanics were a bit better (too much bullet sponge + insta-death) and especially if the loot system was improved. I realize there's been a ton of patches since I quit and they worked on the system but they made rookie mistakes on what was a gigantic game for them and they lost too many users by the time they got things working.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities
10. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities Dec 25, 2017, 08:42 NewMaxx

I spent well over 100 hours doing the SP a few times (once with each of my friends that bought it), lots of Dark Zone before it got crazy, got 100% of all the collectibles/lore, and top notch gear before they added new end-game content. I unfortunately got the season pass (gold edition or whatever) and that is a huge regret as I can't stand the game anymore. It was a good experience and I love the world they crafted by the mechanics are just not for me. I couldn't convince any of my friends to tolerate the grind and quite frankly I got sick of it.

I mean just as an example, I got a LVOA-C that I LOVED. Then ten hours later it was still my gun. Then twenty. Then...you get the idea. All I wanted was a customized, better version of that gun, but you have to endlessly grind content and hope to get lucky or spend all your resources and...no. Just no. I realize that the "whales" who put in 1000+ hours are addicted to that shit (I guess?) much like with Destiny I'm sure but to me that's just dumb. They lost me (the least casual player in my group) and all my friends (3 bought it with me) to I guess attract what? Some hardcore players? Maybe I'm old and don't get gaming anymore but if I want a gun I should be able to earn it without ridiculous RNG and endless busywork.

(enter the apologists who say "gamers don't want to work for stuff anymore, grumble grumble" - no, I just don't have the free time I used to and I shouldn't have to put in 1-2 hours a day for a small chance at a small upgrade)

News Comments > World of Tanks Plans Major Changes; Offers New Engine Demo
21. Re: World of Tanks Plans Major Changes; Offers New Engine Demo Dec 25, 2017, 08:22 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2017, 05:18:
Cool. WoT-style PvE isn't necessarily a bad thing. I was just wondering how far they took the whole campaign thing. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Obsidian is the developer so it's not like they just said, F it, let's have modern World of Tanks! They tried to make the story sensible and they are constantly expanding the lore/world. I mostly play the PVE since PVP was in a tough spot for a long time (this is one of those games like WoT that was in "beta" forever) on NA (you can run double accounts with EU though). I basically powered through to all the tanks I wanted and now I come back whenever they have a update to see what they've added for PVE. This most recent update adds special operations that are connected (and I believe to the "story" as well), new maps, and night mode gameplay on all maps (which has new mechanics I believe).

I could say a lot more but I'll end by saying that they don't add tanks for the hell of it. They only really added one line and filled in some placeholders since I got my garage filled (they don't charge for slots...and there's no gold ammo...etc, no P2W stuff). So I only have a few to grind really but I like that I can feel like I achieved my goals without 1000s of hours played and that I can jump right back into PVE and have a good time without worrying about dropping $ on new stupid shit. The $ is largely for cosmetics (although to be fair, you did need gold for camo at one point with a small boost to concealment, but by the time it came off the test server you could get it with game currency as well).

Hmm, what else...engine is CryEngine so it shares similarities with MWO there but they actually have a decent UI designer (they are constantly improving it)...the game is by no means "simple" in design, which I like. I haven't dabbled much with the campaign I'll admit, although I do follow their updates on it. The fact they lock down the API means you don't have cheaters and ridiculous mods which is the main reason I stuck with it...yes I could go on for a while here but that's the jist. I wish more people were aware of the game because it's a really solid F2P for people who want a more relaxed (PVE) atmosphere while having the WoT style/mechanics.

*edit* I should add they are addressing PVP issues too of course (in fact that's 50% of their focus or more) and have added AI fillers for low-tiers to compensate for the population issues at lower tiers

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 2017, 08:37.

19. Re: World of Tanks Plans Major Changes; Offers New Engine Demo Dec 24, 2017, 14:57 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 12:56:
Have you played the storyline campaign in AW? Wondering how it is.

They actually do write about (have lore) for the storyline campaign and have episode trailers, which is cool, but I see you're asking about gameplay. Really it's just an excuse to get you playing the game as the objectives are pretty standard. Of course they're adding more interesting/connected things with global operations and more recently what I linked with the Caribbean Crisis. So if you're asking if this is like a Mechwarrior level single-player experience or something (in AW, you are essentially a mercenary tank company), then no. They are certainly leading up to that by fleshing out the world/story and having more interesting game modes but it's primarily a World of Tanks style game with PVE elements.

15. Re: World of Tanks Plans Major Changes; Offers New Engine Demo Dec 24, 2017, 10:49 NewMaxx

The Wargaming grind is just too much. I played World of Tanks for a while and didn't quit over the grind so much as the cheating, but when I tried to get into World of Warships the grind was unreal! They also took over Total War: Arena recently and the grind from the test was extreme. I put most of my time into Armored Warfare instead which actually is a pretty great game. Only problem with it is that the NA PVP population is pretty small (you can play on EU) but luckily it has a robust PVE mode. Either way, I was able to get like 100 tanks including T9 and T10s with less hours than I put into WoT for T7, so yeah. If someone is looking for a similar type game and maybe even likes PVE or a mixture (global ops) thrown in, check out AW. It's made by Obsidian.  

News Comments > Unannounced Blizzard First-Person Game Features Vehicles
22. Re: Unannounced Blizzard First-Person Game Features Vehicles Dec 19, 2017, 20:49 NewMaxx

Overwatch...WITH VEHICLES!  

News Comments > PUBG 1.0 Plans Include Replays
18. Re: PUBG 1.0 Plans Include Replays Dec 17, 2017, 02:25 NewMaxx

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 18:54:
but Fortnite is far better than PUBG.

Certainly from watching the two I feel like Fortnite is the better game although my non-gaming friends (well, casual gaming friends) are more interested in PUBG from all the buzz, which frankly is one reason it's so popular...I suppose that's subjective and I'm not really interested in the genre as a whole but I do love the building aspect.

17. Re: Game Reviews Dec 17, 2017, 02:22 NewMaxx

peteham wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 19:59:
It's the PUBG early game loop that's put me off PUBG for now. etc

Fairly good explanation of it. I've been watching Escape from Tarkov a bit more closely, personally.

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 17, 2017, 02:17 NewMaxx

Tom wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 20:35:
I wouldn't expect most of the folks around here to "get" this game though. Kinda sad but oh well.

There's nothing to get. That's like saying people who don't like CS:GO don't "get" it and that it's sad. No, PUBG is just a messy, repetitive piece of shit game that's popular because it gained traction with streamers. Not unlike Minecraft and Ark and DayZ and Rust and any number of other survival games before it. Maybe you don't get that? Wouldn't surprise me since the developer of PUBG doesn't seem to get that, being as he rails against copying, but hey it's clearly working as you're having fun and he's making money so everybody wins. Well, except for the discerning gamer who wants non-douchebag developers, that is.

News Comments > Take-Two Launches Private Division
5. Re: Take-Two Launches Private Label Dec 14, 2017, 19:51 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 16:18:
Why not put the offices in places that small indie devs can actually afford to live? But that would make sense.

They're not going after small indie devs. That would be closer to Devolver Digital (who are based in Austin, TX, btw). They're going after people who are a tier above that (look at the list of names in the blurb). The fact it's called "private label" reflects that - it's equivalent to crafted spirits. Also explains their choice of location as it's more about marketing (NYC, Seattle) then development - like NKD says.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
18. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 14, 2017, 15:29 NewMaxx

Scheherazade wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 11:55:
Battle Royale is a Japanese movie.

Novel came a year earlier. Of course Minecraft had the mode before even DayZ, but if people want to argue that DayZ was the first truly in that style (or first "shooter" as such) then they'd still be wrong as Brendan Greene (PU) was not the guy who made the Arma 2 mod, it was Dean Hall. The Battle Royale mod/variant of that was indeed made by PU - who at the time admitted he was directly influenced by the movie. So we're gone full circle as he leveraged not one but two properties he had nothing to do with...so apparently combining two original ideas into one does not qualify as copying.

News Comments > Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium
33. Re: Crytek Suing Cloud Imperium Dec 14, 2017, 11:40 NewMaxx

It's all in the document.

In that Agreement, Defendants promised, among other things, (i) to use the CryEngine game development platform exclusively and to promote that platform within the video game, (ii) to collaborate with Crytek on CryEngine development, and (iii) to take a number of steps to ensure that Crytek's intellectual property was protected. Defendants utterly failed to follow through on those promises

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Year 3 DLC
8. Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Year 3 DLC Dec 13, 2017, 15:54 NewMaxx

ItBurn wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 14:12:
I still like it and the new free content is cool, but I wouldn't say that they do the best job. It could be because I only play terrorist hunt, but the game seems more buggy than it was a year ago. Every update seems to break something that never gets fixed. It got to the point where my friends got pissed at the game and refuse to play. "Operation health" is pretty ironic.

Largely to do with their update schedule...you see this with other games that try to maintain a fast pace with changes. It can be frustrating. I will say that they are starting to take PVE more seriously (hence Outbreak) so hopefully more effort will be spent on bugs than pure PVP balance.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Year 3 DLC
7. Re: Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege Year 3 DLC Dec 13, 2017, 15:51 NewMaxx

ItBurn wrote on Dec 13, 2017, 13:08:
They feel different. They have different speeds, health and equipment. They all have different weapon choices and they each have one or two unique gadgets that can change the game completely. If you're extremely competitive, it's important to pay mind to which operator you choose, but at the same time, all operators are good enough and you're guaranteed to have great ones without spending any time or money on the game. Also, you don't need to get this season pass. You can unlock all operators for free by playing the game.

Yar, I mean Thatcher is bog-standard and yet he's still my favorite operator. I just like having more versatility by having all of the operators mastered but at least at lower levels of play you're not going to be at all pigeonholed into a specific operator let alone a DLC one. Not that it matters, it's simple to unlock all the base operators and saving up for one or two DLC favs is also not too bad. (last time I tallied my score from a session it came out to ~22 hours w/o any bonuses to unlock a 25K)

1222 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo