Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1187 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins
3. Re: Dawn of War III Trailer; Open Beta Begins Apr 21, 2017, 19:29 NewMaxx

Definitely seems geared towards multiplayer when you see what they did with the cover system.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > KOTOR Reboot & New BioWare IP Rumors
21. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 21:30 NewMaxx

Think I had my fill of ARPGs...The Division settled that for me.  

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
52. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 17:13 NewMaxx

Beamer wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 16:51:
I feel like there's a Billy Madison quote in response to how badly you missed the point.

"what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

30. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 13:00 NewMaxx

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 12:49:
I like the example of Watch Dogs 2.

Not a bad example. I always took WD2 as being tongue-in-cheek, not quite on the level of Saint's Row but definitely in that direction, which a lot of people complained about but I actually thought was a bit appropriate. People assume its bit of ridiculousness was equivalent to satire or ridicule but in actuality I think that's a better approach given how much weight people give to some of these issues - it doesn't make it silly, it just makes it a non-issue, which is the point. It's better for people to recognize a common cause than to try and pretend that our individual differences define us in some existential way.

25. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 12:49 NewMaxx

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 6, 2017, 11:24:
Who is sitting there going

"I'm transgendered and wish there were more transgendered characters in video games"

This is a problem in todays society

It's almost equivalent to saying, "I have a mental disorder - it would be nice to see it represented in a game!" And, in fact, there is a mission dealing with chemical imbalance in the brain caused by coming out of cryostasis. Yet that mission acknowledges that it's different (the subjects are more aggressive/paranoid), gives a good reason for it being in the game universe (problems with cryostasis), and even questions whether or not it's appropriate to "cure" it (or rather, questions if the subjects would truly be better off with the effects dampened). Compare that to the heavy-handed way they included this character and it shows how clueless most people are when it comes to gender issues. I think it's especially ironic because conservatives are often painted as being coarse on the issue and yet saying "trans is not natural" is a more appropriate response than misrepresenting the condition as a vocal lamentation. It just reveals the disconnect many "progressives" have in seeing a problem where there isn't any; being inclusive inherently means being even-handed, not deferential.

News Comments > April Foolin' 2017
17. Re: April Foolin' 2017 Apr 2, 2017, 02:09 NewMaxx

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 1, 2017, 23:27:
Adult Swim decided to spend the evening with the Rick and Morty season 3 premiere on loop.

Good episode, plus good timing. Everybody kept asking when season 3 would start and then they pull that...brilliant!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 31, 2017, 18:41 NewMaxx

Also the BIOS update will improve memory latency by 6ns.  

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
1. removed Mar 26, 2017, 23:11 NewMaxx

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Mar 27, 2017, 08:41.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 25, 2017, 12:44 NewMaxx

NetHead wrote on Mar 24, 2017, 19:41:
lol This reminds me of arguments/lectures in shop trying to explain to people that single/double sided RAM is not the issue (many confused double sided as 2 ranks, because that's how it first started, I think, for obvious physical reasons, though 2 sided normally just means more than 1 rank total, which is vague and not guaranteed). You can have 2+ ranks on one side, and one rank could theoretically span both sides (don't know if that's ever been done though).

It can be very confusing - but the bottom-line for consumers is that it doesn't really matter. Ryzen is known for being a bit weird with memory which is why this even comes up for discussion but really, people working with desktops don't need to worry about this.

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
4. Re: Hardware Reviews Mar 25, 2017, 12:25 NewMaxx

Single rank is equivalent to having an array (think Excel spreadsheet with columns/rows) with every address laid out, where you're capable of accessing any given cell at any time with the same speed. Dual rank would be the same setup but on two separate sheets, one for each block of memory (half), where you can access only one sheet at a given time. This does mean better performance for single rank as it doesn't have to switch sheets/ranks, but dual-rank can switch ranks while doing other operations (read/write). This can lead to performance increases because if needed data is already in one of the open pages (a "hit") you can avoid a second find operation. Results depend on the application but differences aren't huge. There's more overhead with more ranks (hence the lower speed) but the main advantage is to get more memory per channel (density). I wouldn't consider is a huge issue in the consumer space, although generally speaking speed is king.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2017, 12:52.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer
49. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda 4K Trailer Mar 22, 2017, 15:12 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 17:45:
I've been quite enjoying it so far, except for really frequent hard crashes. Fucking Nvidia driver.

Just FYI, this is a known issue. If you are overclocking your GPU at all you should tone it down. This game is more susceptible to crashes with even the MEA drivers.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
70. Re: Divinity: Original Sin Mini-Delay Mar 22, 2017, 02:25 NewMaxx

There's more cringe-worthy dialogue. A lot of it.

One I remember from the ice planet goes something like, hey! They said you were competent but not caring. Your Ryder goes: pfft! hmmph.

I'm serious.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2017, 00:07 NewMaxx

BobBob wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 21:45:
Make sure that contractor has insurance for himself and anyone that works for him, otherwise you can be sued for any onsite injuries. If he can't prove it via official paperwork, don't use him.

Good advice. One of my degrees required some classes in contract law, and you REALLY don't want to mess with liens.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2017, 21:20 NewMaxx

Reminds me of when I moved from my old house. Have a picture of 17 garbage bags (at 50 lbs a piece) on the curb. I remember my neighbor saying the week before that, with 14 bags, would be the record. Ah, how naive.

(and yes I have pictures but not sure where at the moment!)

Did a couple of "got junk" trucks before that, of course. Moving from a long-stay is quite the trial Good luck, Blue!

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
3. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 21, 2017, 10:10 NewMaxx

Hmm, the unlock "patch" I downloaded over VPN was in the 45MB range, I think. I was pulling like 250 KB/s over VPN and it took five minutes? Suffice to say it wasn't large enough to hinder me even on a slow ass VPN!

I had the full game pre-loaded from the trial (incl. the 0-day patch) so no problems there!

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
115. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2017, 08:48 NewMaxx

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 06:48:
Unlike Steam, EA doesn't penalize the use of VPNs for preload unlocks. A lot of people unlocked at midnight in Korea, which was almost 20 hours ago. I unlocked mine at ~11am PST and have been playing off and on since.

This is true. I have 21 hours played already (from the Trial + VPN unlock) and I didn't even play that hard. I did one session on VPN and then waited until midnight EST before I hit my second. It's possible to beat the game in ~20 hours (from what I hear) although the trial block was pretty early.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
1. Re: New GeForce Drivers Mar 21, 2017, 08:14 NewMaxx

Woohoo, a driver for Mass Effect: Agenda!

(I kid, I kid)

Been playing the full thing since yesterday thanks to my VPN. So far, so good, although like many newer titles it plays significantly better in fullscreen than borderless.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
13. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 10:39 NewMaxx

Just finished the trial (entire romp will be up on my YT channel) and I'll be holding on to my pre-order (and actually playing it soon - VPN unlocks in 20 minutes). I'd say the reviews (avg 7.5 so far) are pretty spot-on: a bit above average but nothing to write home about. For fans of the ME universe and those who enjoy the combat (I rather like it so far), it's a smidgen better than that. I do think some of the controversy swirling around about this title has hurt it but the guy who said basically "DA:I in space" is pretty close. I enjoyed DA:I so I expect to enjoy this - but I don't think it'll last in memory or win any awards.  

News Comments > etc.
38. Re: etc. Mar 20, 2017, 09:15 NewMaxx

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 06:14:
I heard of it but never looked it up. Why?

It was another case of misogyny/bullying in gaming related to the perceived ineptitude of the target (Raymond was accused of being chosen for her looks rather than talent). It's relevant to the discussion. As far as my saying "look it up" - my point was that it's very difficult to find, now, largely due to backlash from Ubisoft and others. For the record the target here is actually sufficiently talented according to a source/friend who posted over at [H].

1187 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo