Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1184 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2017, 06:24 NewMaxx

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 24, 2017, 12:07:
It reminds me of the hard drive size thing.

It should. One (HDD) company started doing it and the rest had to follow suit. They got sued. They lost. They still use the "new" numbers but now are forced to have an asterisk. This is why you have ten pages of fine print after every *expletive* listing.

That case had more substantiation than this one but the only thing that surprises me is that it took this long to sue for it. In my opinion we should be against the plaintiff here simply because it will end up costing everybody but idiots more. You have to draw the line somewhere. I'm all for MiB and GiB mind you, but lumber goes back to Jesus.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 4M
8. Re: PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Sells 4M Jun 24, 2017, 02:18 NewMaxx

ViRGE wrote on Jun 24, 2017, 01:49:
But these last-man-standing survival games I just don't see the fun in them: they're slow and plodding; I'd rather have a flak cannon and a shock rifle any day of the week.

Watch PewDiePie's video of himself playing PUB and you'll see the appeal. I mean I don't endorse the video at all but it reveals what the average player enjoys about the game...although it does nothing for me.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 23, 2017, 14:51 NewMaxx

Timelessness is essentially about universality. The audience needs to connect to the material in an understandable way through its themes. You see plenty of these in religious texts and myths - the search for immortality, natural disasters, and in the case of Shakespeare situational (human) comedy and tragedy. Joseph Campbell is probably the best known "modern" mythologist who properly explains this although he is more commonly known for having been an influence on George Lucas. Indeed, the original Star Wars trilogy would be a good example of filmography that stands the test of time. There's a fine line between art and cliché, though, and while contemporary AAA movies like Transformers are built on similar themes that doesn't make them lasting, and that's where interpretation, meaning, and personal connection come into play. Transformers is entertaining but there's little depth or ambiguity to it and the audience doesn't grow any sort of attachment - while readers, especially young adults, can usually empathize with Hamlet or Ophelia, and the themes are complex and grey.  

News Comments > No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC?
12. Re: No Recoil for Destiny 2 Guns on PC? Jun 22, 2017, 12:12 NewMaxx

He's going to regret saying this...I guarantee it (meme).

With all the discussions I've had on recoil in games, this is pretty funny. Some games, like BF1, introduced "random" recoil to make it so it's impossible to memorize recoil patterns like you have in other titles (e.g. CS). Other games have made it directional or non-existent depending on gun types, like Planetside 2. How you fire and what attachments may affect your aim, too, a la Rainbow Six Siege. Many titles reduce recoil for LMGs when fired for prolonged periods of time (The Division). Of course "bullet spread" and recoil are not synonymous but they do go hand-in-hand. Kneeling, prone, bipods, not moving or moving slowly, distance, etc. all can impact the former which then makes the latter a multiplier.

My point: this isn't about feel. It's about variety, it's about skill, it's about strategy. Many people derided BF1's approach as appealing to casual players as there's variability that is uncontrollable. Some said predictable recoil patterns had nothing to do with skill. Players wanted different solutions to LMGs in The Division as it was useless in PVP. ACOG single-shot in RB6 made people question balance. PS2 had the dynamic of low-damage with high ROF, high alpha with poor ACC, and perfect ACC while middling otherwise (the three faction's guns). None a perfect solution, but none just threw away the concept all-together!

I don't know what to say.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Jun 21, 2017, 19:13 NewMaxx

Denuvo removal: good.

Yet still the online issues... (read the comments on source site) despite the defense some unnamed people here put up for it.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Jun 21, 2017, 16:18 NewMaxx

Gaming is extremely important but few people understand that.

Gaming is effectively a simulation. Animals play "games" to practice for the real thing - combat and hunting. Our children do the same. Most of human warfare had very low casualty rates because it was largely ritualized and moreover much of it, and the games played, were effectively simulations. We had jousting in Medieval Europe, ritual combat in pre-Columbian Latin America, etc. One of the reasons the British Empire dominated the world for a long time, particularly the 19th century, was because of its university sports and games. Yes, seriously. It was a strong pre-cursor to leadership and organized warfare.

"Video" games are no different. They hone all sorts of skills depending on the game but at the base of it you have strategy, perception, a concept of physics, etc. There's social structure, organization, and leadership. There's defined goals and pathways to them. We're also moving into VR and 3D where people playing Arma today really could learn important, basic concepts of warfare. Much like the ritualized combat of old to practice and reduce casualties, modern technology has made warfare largely removed from our everyday lives - outside of terrorism, but we can maintain those skills in a peaceful manner.

The idea that gaming is a waste of time or pure leisure activity with no redeemable value is...ridiculous. Yet it's somewhat widely accepted today. Nothing could be further from the truth; the future lies in simulations and the ability to maintain skills that are otherwise falling out of use. You still learn algebra before calculus. It may seem ridiculous to play Farm Simulator or VR graffiti but to suggest they are pointless or useless is very, very far off the mark. If anything I think the value of gaming is underestimated. The real issue is keeping money out of it, as we've seen what has happened to college sports, but I digress.

News Comments > Dawn of War III Free Content Next Week
3. Re: Dawn of War III Free Content Next Week Jun 17, 2017, 02:06 NewMaxx

Seems like the developers have listened to the community and are rolling out desired changes, from what I'm hearing. Guess we'll see. As it is at launch, disappointing, but if they adapt quickly it could turn out to be pretty good.  

News Comments > IO Interactive Goes Indie; Owns Hitman
8. Re: IO Interactive Goes Indie; Owns Hitman Jun 17, 2017, 00:48 NewMaxx

The episodic format was fine. The problem was they had the pricing all over the place, where you could buy an episode and yet not have access to all the content, and there are plenty of people who say "herp derp that's easy you are dumb for not understanding it" - that's besides the point. Complicating the series with inconsistent DLC is just irritating, sorry. On top of that you have to be online to get any sort of rating etc. in the missions...oh yes "but everybody is online these days" - again, not the point. A large part of the experience (including items, starting locations, whatever) is forcibly online. Fuck that noise. I still go back and play the old Hitmans from time to time and I can see that coming back to this a few years from now will probably be a shitshow. No more money from me.

For the record I did play this and all of Season 1 and for the most part the game-play is excellent. There are some aspects that are a bit too hand-holding but of course you can disable those...one of the better games in the franchise.

This comment was edited on Jun 17, 2017, 01:01.

News Comments > Dying Light's Year+ Free DLC Deluge
18. Re: Dying Light's Year+ Free DLC Deluge Jun 16, 2017, 20:58 NewMaxx

Nullity wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:05:
Dead Island was ok, but Dying Light was amazing, except for the weapon degradation. That is such an awful game mechanic that just needs to stop being used, period.

I kind of hate that, too. I don't have a Switch or anything but when I heard the new Zelda game had that mechanic I just groaned...

To be absolutely fair, though, once you get the crafting upgrades in Dying Light and start making the better weapons, degradation is a non-issue. Seriously. I ended up giving away my weapons to my co-op partners because by the time they were 50% degraded I had access to significantly more powerful weapons anyway. This happens pretty quickly especially in your 2nd+ playthroughs, it's a non-issue. (I still dislike the mechanic though)

News Comments > Dying Light's Year+ Free DLC Deluge
17. Re: Dying Light's Year+ Free DLC Deluge Jun 16, 2017, 20:54 NewMaxx

FloorPie wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 02:14:
The intro also annoyed the hell out of me. I think it took me 1.5 hours to get through all of it just to be able to do co-op.

You can thankfully skip this part, now, which was a nice change.

I have a funny story about it. On my second play-through we added another co-op friend who has the tendency to be tired/drunk a lot and he was struggling with certain parts of the intro. I decided to do it for him over TeamViewer - yes, seriously - and during this process he feel asleep (we could hear him snoring over TS). Anyway, I also streamed to the other co-op players via Steam (remotely on this guy's computer), but the keyboard inputs didn't work right over TV so I had to rebind to a controller etc...long story short this guy couldn't pass the intro so I had to do it with massive latency over TeamViewer whilst being watched on a stream using non-default rebinds. It ranks up there as one of my "legendary" gaming moments as doing parkour with multi-second lag on random keys while people reacted on a 12-second stream delay, all of it dovetailed with incessant snoring as I myself was drunk/falling asleep...

Needless to say, when we added another friend on our 3rd playthrough, being able to skip the intro for everybody was a HUGE plus.

News Comments > Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced
26. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 15, 2017, 23:30 NewMaxx

MeanJim wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 18:57:
I enjoyed it. A lot of the negative reviews I see about it mainly come from people going in expecting a large, deep open world RPG like Pillars. This is more like a choose your own adventure RPG. You can't see and do everything in one play through. During main quests, you're generally given two to three choices of locations to go to. Sometimes you can only go to one or two of them, sometimes going to one will open up another option, but you can't do all of them.

Great way to put it. I was tempted to call it a "BG lite" in my other post but refrained from doing so because (as I said) the combat really doesn't quite live up to that. It's still an experience worth having and I think it's a great "budget" RPG.

21. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 22:43 NewMaxx

NetHead wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 13:46:
One good thing I remember about the combat though was how companions have skills that can mix with your character. Like you can throw character X up into the air so they shoot arrows from high up, while another companion will have some other move.

At first I thought it a bit gimmicky but then figured it's a good way to add to the combat of the established gametype.

I definitely used these a lot during game-play, there were a few that are really good actually. When I said combat was lackluster I meant that I was "fast forwarding" a lot because really it became a grind past a certain point in the game. If you build your characters right and know what abilities to use/macro/prep it becomes pretty much automatic after mid-game if not earlier. Keep in mind combat can be tricky early on especially and if you have a weak build/party that exacerbates the problem, but I was mostly comparing it to Pillars. To be fair the combat in Numenara is even worse but anyway...

7. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 12:52 NewMaxx

Good budget game, combat is pretty lackluster though. I still enjoyed it but I approached it with low expectations.  

News Comments > Take-Two Acquires Kerbal Space Program; New 2K Prez
8. Re: Take-Two Acquires Kerbal Space Program; New 2K Prez May 31, 2017, 13:18 NewMaxx

They want it to be Minecraft meets SpaceX. I don't think this purchase came as a surprise to anyone as KSP employees were already interviewing for Valve.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue May 30, 2017, 18:06 NewMaxx

In Soviet Russia, shark jumps you!  

News Comments > New Intel CPU Announcements
19. Re: New Intel CPU Announcements May 30, 2017, 12:52 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on May 30, 2017, 12:04:
In Reality, you would still need 2 CPU variations in your system, quantum chip, and x86

It's likely we will see quantum coprocessors alongside not only x86 but also RISC/microcontrollers like ARM. Indeed, Samsung has such a patent dating to over a decade ago.

News Comments > New Life is Strange Game Announced
2. Re: New Life is Strange Game Announced May 19, 2017, 00:03 NewMaxx

It is pretty good, but it's not for everyone. I rather enjoyed it after expecting I might not. It can be quite "emo" at times but I felt it was a nice change of pace from so many other games. Also, for the most part I felt it was well done in its presentation. Certainly takes something from Telltale's series but goes a different way with it.  

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer
11. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer May 17, 2017, 20:58 NewMaxx

SpectralMeat wrote on May 17, 2017, 19:46:
Played a round against the Ai and my initial thoughts, I like it a lot more than Wargame. It's a lot more fun, slower pace, and (to me) more enjoyable.
Looking forward to play some more.

In Skirmish/SP you can change the speed which is really nice. Slow, Very Slow, and Bullet Time (1/8 speed) if you need to slow it down. When learning the ropes the Slow mode is pretty handy. Can't do this in multi, though.

It's also suggested to do conquest to 2500 points (2000 was the old total, not sure if they changed it in a patch yet) as it gives late-blooming decks a fair chance. Also, if you do larger than 1v1 battles with/against the AI, keep in mind not all maps are the same size, so you can mix and match map and team sizes depending on the kind of game you want.

News Comments > Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer
8. Re: Steel Division: Normandy 44 Trailer May 17, 2017, 18:21 NewMaxx

In general I can't really disagree since I think the RTS genre has been in a decline for a while and now with DOW III going borderline MOBA on the formula I have little hopes it'll get back to its roots. I never even got around to AoA.

Anyway, that being said, Eugen has been putting out a new game every year since W:EE and they have moved solidly into the $30-40 range for these titles. Like I said, more Assassin's Creed and less Company of Heroes with their schedule. So my saying that's it's a bit of a mini-RTT and that longevity is unlikely is for these reasons. This is a unique take on the Wargame formula but at the same time it has a similar base.

Speaking of which, again, this is a RTT (tactics) rather than a RTS. Company of Heroes has base building, multiple resources, and even a sprawling sandbox-like campaign (Ardennes Assault). This game will have a linear, tactical campaign and the multiplayer has no building of even static weaponry (due to the "encounter" system) and a single resource. That distinction is important for the potential buyer. A better comparison would probably be the Men of War series.

I am happy at least for the mod plans for SD although it wouldn't surprise me to see them bringing out Steel Division: Barbarossa in a year's time.

Also, if you mean literal supplies (the supply trucks), I find that in the team games you typically have support divisions providing for allies. For example, the 2nd Inf. division gets 15k supply trucks for 50 points and has tons of artillery slots plus a B/C income focus; it's meant for longer, team games. 1v1 often struggle to get deep into phase C and as a result most people use A or A/B heavy divisions there and supply isn't as much of an issue anyway. Typically I play 2nd Inf. with my friends and largely dominate artillery and supply solutions, so if you get the right teammates...

1184 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo