Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1222 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Officially Launches
10. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Officially Launches Aug 30, 2017, 02:38 NewMaxx

Luckily I got this back when it was $15 but I agree with clint. It can be fun with some tweaks and decent hardware. Not really my cup of tea and I waited a long time for "optimization" that never came. I feel like I got my money's worth but I can't help but feel it didn't live up to its potential.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Destiny 2 Open Beta
46. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 30, 2017, 02:36 NewMaxx

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 01:22:
I love the Borderlands games. This just doesn't feel right though.

Same.

I actually think it does some things better than Borderlands (certainly I liked the UI better in general, and it felt smoother on the whole) but the actual game-play felt like a step back to me. Hard to put my finger on it but since I never played the original I don't want to make any definitive assertions. It just felt "off" as I said in my original post here.

37. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 21:41 NewMaxx

thecakeisalie wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 20:51:
I've played Destiny, Destiny 1.5..errr 2 and Warframe and Warframe is superior to both version of Destiny. Plus it's free*

Pretty much.

Interesting story: my brother loves this kind of game and he's a well-watched streamer (going on 7-figure views) and I finally talked him into trying Warframe a month ago or so. Absolutely addicted and well beyond me already (I played on and off for years). He tried the D2 beta and let's just say he won't be buying it any time soon.

Don't get me wrong, Warframe has its faults (I find the UI atrocious), but I put less money into that game than a copy of this would cost me and have had tons of fun with it.

36. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 21:33 NewMaxx

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 20:25:
Well I trust a 3 post review far more than when you say you had fun in anything coop Your definition of fun is totally muddled, you don't have fun with the specific game, you have fun playing with your friends. Sadly, your friends are not included in a purchase of Destiny 2....

I'm in that boat, too, because I have to convince my friends to get on board and they are far more casual than I am when it comes to gaming. I find it amusing because I got them all into The Division but they petered out pretty quickly at the end-game for a variety of reasons. I recall plenty of people on forums making it sound like it didn't take that long to gear up properly and learn the events, giving a ballpark of like "two hours a night," and I'm like...really? That's casual? Not in my world. I'm lucky to get them together once a weekend for a few hours.

So, yes, I have a clan that plays and I can just "pub" or do whatever but I find as I get older I'd rather focus my multi-player time with my friends and this game already feels like work. From a beta. A short ass beta. It literally made me tired doing a few runs. My friends mostly suck and we don't have the hours to waste getting them up to snuff so to speak, so I guess this type of game is out.

So no offense to people who love this stuff as I already said, more power to you! But for those in my boat, my "review" in several posts below is effectively for you. Wait for a sale or if not, get it on console. By the time it hits PC all the secrets will be known and technical mastery aside, it's just not worth full price or a separate purchase on this platform.

27. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 18:28 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 18:22:
What's really pathetic is the amount of money they spend; allegedly, to make these games. It seems to go everywhere but into the game itself.

It's not atypical for a AAA game to have half or more of its cost go to marketing. Something to think about... (although to be fair, I know a few games that could have benefited from better advertisement)

And before anybody comes in here to defend this title: Rockstar and Pop-Tarts

21. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 17:41 NewMaxx

DangerDog wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 17:37:
Played the "demo" till I got to a part where some bald dude is standing next to a door and enemies keep air dropping onto the platform... endlessly.

he pops a shield and deflects a bunch of missiles and then it goes into a loop. Is that the game or did a script break?

Check upper left. After 3/3 defended a door opens to the right for the next area.

19. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 17:21 NewMaxx

opie wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:23:
final words: 4/10 already uninstalled and not going to play again. Might be good for console newbs who have to use a controller.

I agree mostly with your opinion...okay maybe completely, although I thought the graphics were good. I also think it plays all right with a keyboard and mouse although clearly it was intended for a controller. I would give it more than a 4/10 personally, maybe even a 7/10, but it's definitely something I can come back to later during a sale.

17. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 29, 2017, 17:05 NewMaxx

Graham wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 16:27:
Jesus fucking christ. Why is it every time a beta comes out people expect a demo? Betas are for stability, stress testing, and to give you the tiniest taste.

And of that teaspoonful you're already "over the game"?

Jesus fucking christ.

It wasn't labeled a "beta test." It was labeled a "beta." I didn't expect a demo, it WAS a demo. It was far too polished for me to believe anything about "testing."

If you go back to Destiny 1's beta, which to be fair was probably too large, you can see why people might expect a little bit more. The PC not only got a last-minute beta (before console release) but also has a later launch date. It's reasonable to expect more than an hour of content if they're trying to sell me on an IP that has never been on the PC before. To top it off the beta is in the middle of the week. I also gave plenty of reasons why I wasn't buying the game but the reality is casual players like my friends have limited time and funding for gaming so, yes, they're already over it.

I'm also insulted by your tone (and did you have to say "Jesus fucking christ" twice?) as I play a ton of betas so maybe you shouldn't define my expectations for me. Quite frankly I'm not interested in the PVP part and the fear they were balancing towards that was quickly reinforced.

This comment was edited on Aug 29, 2017, 17:16.

11. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 15:31 NewMaxx

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 14:50:
P.S.: What is this shit? 900KB/s download??? I thought Blizztard had nuff money for servers?? Guess not...

I actually paid $1 for a key just so I could pre-load earlier in the week and play the 28th because I knew it'd be a clusterfuck today if I didn't...

7. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 29, 2017, 14:25 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 14:23:
Although I'll say this, Destiny had the best auto-aim algorithm I've ever used with a controller, might be worth trying on PC. Just forgiving enough without losing the challenge, something about it was just so damn satisfying. I'm still convinced that that is what made this game great, the shooting with a controller mechanics were perfect.

People are already complaining about this hardcore. There's been some suggestion that Bungie is balancing around PVP because they want a unified experience and people are already up in arms on the forums over the controller autoaim on PC (some people are using kb/m adapters to take advantage of it on top of that) and asking to nerf handcannons etc. I read the writing on the wall and will be steering clear of this one...

6. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Aug 29, 2017, 14:23 NewMaxx

I also played with friends (and voicecomms). I fell flat on my face the first time I tried the strike but I was able to "carry" a little the next time. Still, I had a hard time feeling comfortable with the mechanics. It's possible more experience esp. from the beginning would fix that but just jumping in like that, it felt "off" to me. Many of the mechanics just felt like filler or unnecessary, I don't know, hard to explain, and again I realize the "full game" might have far more options but part of that is because the beta is so ridiculously limited. I enjoyed The Division's betas one hundred times more in every way.

After just one day my friends are over the game and have moved on already, so there's little incentive for me to give it more of a chance. Quite frankly I'm more excited for Warframe's Eidolon. I don't want to be unfair here as I know some people love shooter-looters but damn did I find it annoying to play.

I will say it felt really polished esp. for a multi-platform game, looking and running beautifully. I applaud them for that. I just wish they would have gone for more than a glorified tech demo for the late PC beta.

1. Re: Destiny 2 Open Beta Aug 29, 2017, 13:25 NewMaxx

Played yesterday. Performance on PC is excellent and the game looks great. Pretty disappointed with what they offered for a "beta," though, and definitely glad I waited before making a decision on a pre-order. As a PC-only gamer I remember looking at Destiny fondly and was really anticipating this one. Now that I've tried it, I really have to wonder why people are going crazy over it. Maybe it's just not the game for me but I felt the entire experience was pretty lackluster in both PVE and PVP.

I recorded full performance metrics but in general, avg of 75% GPU and 55% CPU usage at 1080p with a GTX 1080 and 4.4 GHz 6700K using a FPS cap of 141 - at maximum settings with SMAA. This is a game many people will be able to play at 4K60 comfortably. That's virtually the best thing I can say about it.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
4. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Aug 28, 2017, 21:47 NewMaxx

DOS was pretty good on the whole but the itemization killed it for me as I ended up save-scumming and then just flat-out editing shit to get what I wanted which kind of defeated the purpose. It's really something games like this should have solved eons ago, IMHO.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 21:45 NewMaxx

Verno wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 16:36:
The funny thing is that the GSync module is supposedly only like $80-90 at this point, the manufacturers are just going nuts with markup. Also many of the GSync monitors have other premium features which bloats up the price. Vendors are charging a premium for GSync monitors because its currently superior to Freesync and the AMD card situation is such a mess.

This is exactly why I went with a budget G-Sync monitor (relatively speaking) despite people thinking I should make a 5- or 10-year investment in a monitor, lol. <$300 for 3 years is plenty good for me. FreeSync 2 is more competitive but it adds more cost so it's kind of a push although I guess it'll be nice with a Vega 56 or something.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 14:52 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 12:33:
I dunno, I run into unnervingly vague error messages at work all the time. Nothing has changed all that much really.

Who can forget this fun error from Windows 10?

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 14:51 NewMaxx

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 28, 2017, 12:37:
The games I play most in no way benefit from the current crop of $600-$800 monitors.

G-Sync especially is ridiculously overpriced (IMHO) although I wouldn't trade my el cheapo AOC 24" (got it for $293 on sale) for anything. FreeSync is more affordable but not as good (again, IMHO), although FreeSync 2 is looking much better (but also adds more cost). I'll agree that the prices on them are pretty much a non-starter for most people including myself outside of smaller screens (the Dell 27" is particularly popular).

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 28, 2017, 14:44 NewMaxx

A TV is fine for most people but it certainly does not work just as well. You don't have TVs with 0.5-1.0ms response times with adaptive sync, plain and simple. TVs have massive motion blur esp compared to ULMB. I will say that OLED might be the exception but I haven't had the chance to try that yet.

To be fair many people might not notice or care about the difference or may not have the GPU hardware to really benefit. Some games run better with Fast Sync, anyway. A lot of pro gamers also prefer smaller screens for less eye travel so obviously there's no universal answer. I'm just saying that if you think a TV is the same as a decent gaming monitor you really haven't seen them side-by-side like I have...RB6 is literally unplayable for me now on anything but an adaptive sync monitor. Still, for non-competitive or casual gamers, esp. ones that play a lot with a gamepad on PC, a TV is just fine.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Beta Preloads Today
13. Re: Destiny 2 PS4 Exlusives... Aug 25, 2017, 22:44 NewMaxx

Gotta be honest, as a PC-only player I felt like I missed out on the original Destiny. Yet they've already hit 5 strikes with me...but I'll still give the beta a chance.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Beta Preloads Today
11. Re: Destiny 2 Beta Preloads Today Aug 25, 2017, 18:07 NewMaxx

No pre-load without a pre-order or a code. Can get a code for $1 or so and that includes early access, though...  

News Comments > The Crew 2 in March
5. Re: The Crew 2 in March Aug 22, 2017, 19:06 NewMaxx

I don't know much, but I know original game had one of the worst interfaces for PC of all time.  

1222 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo