Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1186 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed
12. Re: AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed Jul 31, 2017, 15:17 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 13:57:
You will never be able to buy one of these at MSRP. Fuck crypto miners.

Miners won't touch this with a 10' pole. It uses 300W for 180W performance and HBM2, from what we see with the FE, is not superior to GDDR5 for mining. The 480, 580, 1060, 1070, and even 1080/1080 Ti will be superior due to power consumption efficiency. As this card is essentially a thicker Fury X we can deduce much from that.

This card is ideal for two groups: prosumers who are interested in its compute performance and gamers who have or will have a FreeSync monitor (or plan to go Ryzen). You save on the monitor/hardware but pay with higher heat, noise, and power usage. There's a reason AMD is bundling these with monitors/Ryzen and why they keep pushing the subjective game-play angle.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
33. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 11, 2017, 18:50 NewMaxx

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 11, 2017, 16:28:
Lulz. Apparently 58% "Republicans and Republican-leaning independents (58%) now say that colleges and universities have a negative effect on the country, up from 45% last year."

85% say "the news media has a negative effect."

Pew Research Poll

News media is a joke and academia does need reform.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 18:03 NewMaxx

Yes, most pro gamers run 144 non-sync screens with Fast Sync (you need 2-3x your target FPS for that) as that still has the best overall results. Adaptive sync is mostly for the lower ranges, 85-120 particularly. 30-60 I find G-Sync to be superior to FreeSync but undesirable regardless. In any case, it's always better than tearing or V-Sync. Like I said, though, even adaptive sync has tearing when you hit upper frametime variances (120+ at 144 Hz) but you can avoid that with some tweaking. If you can consistently surpass a certain FPS it's best just to run a cap (ULMB on a G-Sync display is good here as well), yeah, you only gain 1 frame latency which you also will with adaptive sync if you hit the cap. Adaptive sync also gives better response to frametime variance in general but again, if your FPS is always/mostly above a set threshold and you RTSS cap it, it's very similar.  

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 11:45 NewMaxx

Ah, so I'm guessing you don't have an adaptive sync (G-Sync or FreeSync) display. You can of course still run Fast Sync in some games if your hardware is up to the task (and NVIDIA-based). Most pro gamers playing Overwatch/CSGO/MOBA will go with a plain 144 Hz since they run Fast Sync or similar. With G-Sync you want V-Sync always enabled in CP (never in games) because it "fixes" upper frametime variances (roughly 120+ at 144 Hz) without any latency hit. Blur Busters is a good source for general information for those looking to buy such a display.

Mind you, simply having a 144 Hz display reduces your latency significantly over 60 Hz, but with V-Sync to prevent tearing you usually run triple buffering which adds several frames of input latency. So if you think 144 Hz with V-Sync is smooth, wait until you try G-Sync/FreeSync. Although again you can have issues at the FPS cap but...yeah. I just think a lot of people are confused about how all the technologies work and you often hear people saying 144 Hz isn't much better when 9 times out of 10 they have it set wrong and it can make a HUGE difference.

I'm glad the price is coming down on VR but I'm still in a wait phase on it. My friend did have a Vive we played around with for a project (VR real estate, long story, Vuze was also involved) but yeah it's not there yet for me.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 11, 2017, 08:12 NewMaxx

Picked up a 1080p 144 Hz (180 w/OC) monitor not too long ago - I think there was a thread on here previously about the new upcoming 27" 240 Hz model and I imparted my wisdom in sticking with 1080p - and I do have to say that, as someone who has lived at 60 FPS (solid) for so many years there is simply no turning back. For the record, I tested 60 vs 144 on this monitor, 144 vs 160/170/180, V-Sync (G-Sync off) vs. G-Sync, and many combinations thereof. Without a doubt, adaptive sync (not to be confused with adaptive vsync) is incredible and gaming in the 85-120 FPS range is unparalleled. I can't ever go back. I do think a 1080 Ti is minimum if you want that at 1440p but quite frankly I think 1080p will suit me for 3-5 years before I revisit the question (and I have a GTX 1080 which I will update at least once in that time frame). Actually, the 24" size worked out well for me as it gives faster eye control, but I digress.

For those wondering I even compared Rainbow Six Siege side-by-side on my 24" IPS (60 Hz) and the difference was ridiculous. No comparison. It's not just the 60 Hz but V-Sync that is just unplayable now that I have that game running at a 141 FPS G-Sync cap (using settings to keep it in the ~120 range to avoid cap latency). Also, 1ms response vs 5ms especially when paired with my G900 (1000 Hz polling rate) mouse makes the gap larger. Now, many people point to RB6's 50-60 tick-rate (soon to be full 60) and say that higher FPS doesn't help there...nothing could be further from the truth as not everything is synced anyway.

The tl;dr of it is, going from a 125 Hz polling mouse (-7ms input lag), from IPS to TN (-4ms), adaptive sync from V-Sync (-20 to 30ms), and 60 Hz to 120 Hz (where I peg most games, -8.33ms) makes a massive difference. Of course, games are just plain smoother, too! Yet it's one of those things that you won't notice until you try going back. After playing a weekend of RB6 at 120+ I went back to my old IPS and the latency was simply atrocious. Really, it felt like 30 FPS used to feel going from 60 (ah, LA Noire launch memories). Now, there's a lot of nuance to adaptive sync I won't get into here, but I suggest reading the Blur Buster's G-Sync guide.

News Comments > Warframe: Plains of Eidolon Announced
7. Re: Warframe: Plains of Eidolon Announced Jul 9, 2017, 17:00 NewMaxx

Warframe has a surprisingly loyal base of fans who really get excited about these things. I mean people get excited about new Apple or Microsoft products at shows and I never really understood that, so. Anyway - if you read some posts by these fans (try the sub-reddit) you'll see the lore is actually pretty deep and rich. Each frame even has its own story and of course, who doesn't like space ninjas? I'm not saying I share their enthusiasm - I don't - but I at least think it's relatively harmless in comparison to the political rallies/protests we regularly have here in the States.

This update looks pretty good. I have spent money on Warframe but I've only done so during their massive sales (50%+ off their little bundles) so I've still spent a lot less than I have on other F2P (incl. WoT, STO, AW, etc). So being able to jump in and enjoy it whenever I have a lull in gaming is pretty neat. I will say I'm too old for this style of grinding (I gave up on The Division after ~170 hrs) but if they maintain enough interesting changes I find it enough to keep me coming back piece-meal.

News Comments > New Mass Effect: Andromeda Difficulty Level Teased
11. Re: Game Reviews Jul 6, 2017, 08:32 NewMaxx

ME1 had the best atmosphere and ambience, ME2 had the best and tightest story, and ME3 had the best combat and production values. When my friends take an interest in the series I usually do have them skip the first one simply due to the clunky nature of the mechanics and interface. It definitely feels like a game from a past era in many respects (especially in comparison to how "tight" ME2 feels) but I do think it is indispensable for fans as there was a sense of wonderment with ME1 that set the stage for the entire trilogy. That being said, ME2 is the best all-around title that really shows what a title in the middle of a trilogy should be like, something missing from the great majority of trilogies in history. I feel ME3 is the most accessible for a modern audience while lacking a bit of that wonderment (which ME2 also had) largely because it fixes a lot of the annoying mechanics/systems plus had decent MP.

MEA feels most like a version of ME3 taking a step backwards and a bit like DA:I which unfortunately reflects the fact the "open world" concept has completely dominated gaming markets the last few years. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but honestly I got tired of those tropes after the myriad of Assassin's Creed games by the time I hit the third. The tl;dr of it is that ME2 is the best game for newcomers to play if they want a balance of what made the series so memorable without some of the baggage from the first and last games of the trilogy. I do think MEA also has potential there largely because it's a clean slate with solid MP but you can't beat the value of ME2. I'd go so far as to say you could even play it as a standalone with some liberal video watching of the rest, as some suggest.

News Comments > Independence Day Tech Bits
9. Re: Independence Day Tech Bits Jul 4, 2017, 23:36 NewMaxx

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 4, 2017, 23:27:
Anyway, I switched to MediaMonkey back then and never looked back.
It's a great and very feature-rich (more than I'll ever need) music player.

Yep, MediaMonkey is and has been pretty darn good.

News Comments > Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled
13. Re: Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled Jul 3, 2017, 20:39 NewMaxx

One man said what people wanted to hear in a pretentious manner, the other said what we were all thinkin'  

11. Re: Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled Jul 3, 2017, 18:30 NewMaxx

Timmeh wrote on Jul 3, 2017, 18:14:
uh, Obama is not in office anymore...

He wasn't the biggest, we had Taft! *rimshot*

...okay I guess he wasn't an idiot.

7. Re: Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled Jul 3, 2017, 16:23 NewMaxx

It's far from the first time he's given an update like this, the dude's annoying. Yeah great game dev is hard, must also be hard rolling around in that giant pile of money from what is essentially a one-trick pony. "Oh you're just jealous of his success!" No, I just prefer to pretend he and his games don't exist.  

2. Re: Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled Jul 3, 2017, 10:49 NewMaxx

Not a fan of the man or his games, but I guess...good for him.  

News Comments > Raiders of the Broken Planet Diary; Beta Signups
3. Re: Raiders of the Broken Planet Diary; Beta Signups Jul 2, 2017, 00:47 NewMaxx

Angrius Maximis wrote on Jul 1, 2017, 21:38:
oh yay...another shooter....yippee

You forgot asymmetrical

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt?
2. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda DLC and Sequel in Doubt? Jun 30, 2017, 19:08 NewMaxx

I knew the game was in trouble when I was seeing equal or lesser prices for the game than the best GMG deal I had...and it was even equal with that on Origin at one point. This was soon after release and EA never discounts that heavily that soon. You have to keep in mind, though, that these guys have forecasts and they intend to meet them especially with initial sales and if they don't it's a failure and they move on. Meanwhile the development was handed to the "B" team and they tried to defend a lot of their shit publicly. If you wonder why EA is hated so much, look no further than these antics.

I realize they're in business to make money but when they drive franchises into the ground because they cut their losses before even a long tail is possible it's really hard to sympathize. This is a BIG part of the reason indie and kickstarters are doing so well lately (far from the only reason) and, yes, they have their weaknesses too, but there's a stage in-between when a company can really work magic. It's just a shame the game industry has become so jaded that the average lifespan of an employee is less than 8 years. EA needed the wake-up call but they brought it on themselves and it'll still come back to hurt the consumers.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
8. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 29, 2017, 19:04 NewMaxx

I have unlimited 1 gbit up/down fiber here for $70 a month which I'll get the second I can get the F out of my Comcast contract...I consider that acceptable.  

News Comments > Battlefront 2 Closed Alpha Today?
5. Re: Battlefront 2 Closed Alpha Today? Jun 29, 2017, 16:15 NewMaxx

Dunno, was watching some drunk Russian guy stream it (illegally) for a while, guess I'll check it out but meh.  

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 29, 2017, 02:58 NewMaxx

They also have Jeff Bezos at #8 so we can safely assume this data is bunk. Most of these lists tend to lean SJW, just saying (Sickkids is #1 after all).  

News Comments > WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update
8. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 14:23 NewMaxx

Angrius Maximis wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 11:10:
Poor man's Destiny...with shitty gunplay mechanics and lame graphics.

bad story, gameplay and boring missions with a piss poor community that just rushes through bland dungeons.

Not to refute you but here's my take on it...

The graphics have a unique style, which is pretty cool, but the engine also has generally excellent performance. It can run on even a shitty (integrated GPU) machine. That has its advantages. The game-play is far better than it was when the game first came out...it feels a lot more substantial now, although it does boil down to a few essential strategies.

Can't speak much for the gun-play as I mostly run bow (Paris) with melee. I absolutely love how the bow handles and the melee combos are cool. Some of the guns feel "airy" but the hit detection is good and I especially love the movement aspects of the game. Being able to master those finer details is actually part of the game. Yes, you can min/max things to death, but if you want to play tight like a ninja you can with practice.

The story does often suck at parts but it's actually pretty wicked if you pay attention, especially to the Orokin. I won't get too deep into it but it has a very "dark" history to it. Some of the missions are very boring but others are good, it depends; I personally like some of the spy mission challenges and many of the missions are fun in co-op.

I never played Destiny so I can't speak to that (although I've heard its story is non-existent and it had plenty of loot and balance issues in its day) but I disagree that the community is piss-poor. On the contrary, a large part of my learning has been with their help. Now if you mean the people in the game, there are quite a few impatient types but that goes for any game. In the 20 or so hours I've put in since I most recently came back I haven't had one bad word slung my way and plenty of help...so there's that.

News Comments > WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update
7. Re: WARFRAME Boasts 30M Users; Adding Content and Graphics Update Jun 28, 2017, 14:05 NewMaxx

ForgedReality wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 10:22:
This game is fucking confusing. I can't seem to really get into it. It's a weird kind of game that I've never played before. I've had this game on my PC for a couple of years at least, and I go back to it every so often, but it still never really makes sense to me, and I'm not even sure if I like it or not... I can't describe it. :/

Haha, that's actually a pretty good way to describe it!

I come back to the game probably once every year and find that it's like swimming in molasses trying to figure out what the hell to do (or what the hell is going on). Actually reminds me a bit of Plantetside 2 in its most recent iterations in that way - the developers keep changing shit on a consistent basis so that more casual players come back and have no f'n clue what to do. It's a bit like going from Debian to Fedora with game design. I don't understand why so many F2P games feel the need to constantly roll out updates that make it impossible for players with lives (and other games to play) to keep up.

Anyway, I quickly get frustrated learning what I have to do to get certain shit done but I at least generally have fun doing it. Of course, if you do random public matches you can get anything from guys who can destroy the entire map in one press to people who can't tie their shoelaces and chew gum at the same time. It can be nice to take things slow but sooner or later you'll hit a brick wall especially since you're swapping out weapons and even frames on a regular basis and that's when the grind really hits. I find it hard to justify when my installed backlog now exceeds 60 titles.

Anyway, the packs are 50% off during the summer sale and it's worth getting one to jump into the game to give yourself a headstart. All I can say is use the wiki to your advantage and be prepared to scratch your head a lot. Personally, I love the acrobatics and some of the weapons and I go for my own playstyle. Set a few reasonable goals (mine was to get a specific warframe and specific weapons) and follow the story/quests while opening planets. Learn about alerts, void runs, factions, etc. Build stuff, kill stuff, get more loot!

News Comments > Police Simulator 18 This Year
12. Re: Police Simulator 18 This Year Jun 27, 2017, 14:41 NewMaxx

May end up similar to their previously-released Police Tactics: Imperio.  

1186 Comments. 60 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo