Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 929 (Graduate)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Next Week
15. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Open Beta Next Week Feb 17, 2017, 07:13 NewMaxx

Nice, I'm excited! I did some preliminary videos during the closed beta and should be doing more (better) ones during the open beta. (namely, fixing my new mic)

Had a lot of fun with the game but it certainly has a lot of bugs and the performance was lackluster no matter how you slice it. A lot of people weren't too happy with some of the mechanics - vehicle control probably being the worst - but I actually kind of like the looser feel for an open world co-op game. I don't think it'll be as solid for a solo experience and PVP will be at some point further down the line. Still, I'll be getting this game over For Honor for my gaming crew.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio
12. Re: Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio Feb 15, 2017, 23:46 NewMaxx

I just find it funny because I was just telling my friend about how everybody is making their own game studio these days (Humble Bundle, Adult Swim, etc) and I was talking like Amazon had already done it. Then I turn around and read this today and laugh...

"ambitious new project that taps into the power of the AWS Cloud and Twitch to connect players around the globe in a thrilling new game world"

I'm reading that as F2P with microtransactions, with of course bonuses!1!1 if you have Amazon Prime. Bezos can suck it, I'm done with his shitty ass company and all their shenanigans. I'm still using a ($50) Nook Simple Touch for e-reading and this guy has the balls to bring out Kindle Voyage...has their own credit card, treats their employees like shit, wants to fly drones around and put Echo Dots in everybody's homes, all while he pushes his politics via the Washington Post. On second thought maybe Smedley was the right hire after all! Sony had to learn from quite a few mistakes...

Oh and yes, Amazon owns Twitch, but I left it in the dust far before that when they had their hacks and shitty policies and poor latency etc, not a bad fit.

(disclaimer: I invested in AMZN four years ago but have since moved my money to other tech companies, they continue to spend spend spend with relatively low revenues)

News Comments > Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio
1. Re: Smedley Opens New Amazon Games Studio Feb 15, 2017, 20:19 NewMaxx

You got to be kidding me.  

News Comments > Origin Access Free Trial
21. Re: Origin Access Free Trial Feb 15, 2017, 16:24 NewMaxx

Got a month of Origin Access for $5 to get 10 hours of early play for the BF1 launch. Definitely worth it - managed to play and beat many of the Vault games, although I already owned many of them. It's not something I felt "good" about doing but I don't regret it.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2017, 12:54 NewMaxx

Lived in PA many years, rather nice place (especially up north), although its government moved at a rather plodding pace.  

News Comments > For Honor Beta Concludes Today
7. Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 14:35 NewMaxx

It just feels like it's made for console players...that's all I'm saying. I played the closed and open beta with all my PC gamer friends and we all felt the same way. Nothing wrong with that, I just think it's a better console experience. Not everything is better on PC. Keep in mind this is a cross-platform game in multi-player which isn't terribly common - it's clearly not made to be played on kb/m.  

News Comments > For Honor Beta Concludes Today
5. Re: For Honor Beta Concludes Today Feb 12, 2017, 13:21 NewMaxx

Had more fun with it than I expected and you definitely need a controller...but honestly I just don't get the appeal. Not really my thing, but I hate 3rd person gamepad action thingies...never really understood why any self-respecting PC player would be within 10 miles of this stuff. Go play it on console.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
18. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2017, 23:28 NewMaxx

Agent-Zero wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 22:46:
i thought it was supposed to be paired with their new GPU solutions which feature HBM and would therefore circumvent this weakness somewhat in terms of gaming performance.. also its supposed to match up in some other areas as well to make each part more effective than when used separately.. in theory

That would be correct...there has been a lot of talk about HBM2 and Vega alongside Ryzen. When I said that AMD made the "CPU more flexible" I was referring to the fact they are moving more things on-die and off the motherboard - an innovation hailing back to when they were the first to the market with an on-die memory controller. Intel played catch-up with the first "i" line after that; compare the C2D/C2Q chips and you see 10-15% gains there. It took a while for AMD to reap benefits from that even though it was critically hailed from the get go.

HBM2 remains relatively expensive fare and is a bit controversial in some ways. For example when HBM came out we were hearing how HBM2 would solve all the issues...and now, already, we're hearing about how HBM3 will solve the new problems. Pairing that with an immature platform and uncertain prices in the market means it's more of a "we'll see" situation rather than being a solid suggestion for people making buying decisions. You're correct in your assertion about their overall strategy, however. I just find it to not be something I would buy into yet.

My personal decision was to grab a full Skylake/6700K-based system over BF as the "tea leaves" told me that Kaby Lake would be underwhelming and that Ryzen would come a bit later and probably not offer anything reliable for a few months after that. Considering I already needed to boost my 760s to a GTX 1080 (rather than wait for the promised Vega) it was an easy decision. My alternative move would have been a 6/12 or low 8/16 Ryzen paired with Vega but I wasn't willing to wait for the product launches and kinks to be worked out. For those still on the fence it's important for them to know what their choices are - and I don't think "buy into full AMD" is something I'd say right now (but neither would I bank on Kaby Lake + NVIDIA). Couple that with rising DDR4 prices and the ship has sailed until, IMHO, at least June.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
16. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 11, 2017, 21:46 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 19:07:
16 threads on the AMD vs 8 threads on the 7700k. If you look at the single core data, the 7700k is still the stronger cpu.

15.4% better IPC on the 7700K, to be precise, which is exactly what was predicted a while back. (many expected between SB/IB and Haswell IPC)

It did perform 21.5% better in a multi-thread test, but that is with 61.9% better corexclock ratio, again revealing the IPC difference (and likely an inferior HT algorithm).

The memory controller on Ryzen is not particularly good and they of course drop the GPU part of the die to save cost (while also making the CPU itself more flexible). Again, all of this has been known for a while (I've posted about it a few times on various forums). This coupled with more cores/threads suggests overclocking will be relatively the same as Intel (albeit all Ryzen are unlocked).

The 6/12 part would have been the best bargain but rumor is it has been delayed. The 1700 (lowest 8/16 part) will be a strong 7700K competitor but really for budget creators rather than gamers; there have already been leaked gaming benchmarks putting the 8/16 Ryzen below the 7700K - which is to be expected by the IPC and single-thread differences. Keep in mind tests done on modern AAA games suggest none really use more than 4 cores or 6 threads (I posted about this before on BN).

The short of it is, this opens up the arena for $300+ buyers and gives a relatively inexpensive alternative to Intel's 6-core parts, but the weak memory controller will stifle any plans for solid quad-channel performance. Again, all expected. Anybody surprised or excited by these results may not have been paying attention. Is it newsworthy? Somewhat, yeah, it means more options for everyone. It's just not a killer product - the platform is too immature for it to be a spoiler, but it does open up the market. I can't say anything ill about it - just want people to temper their expectations with reality.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2017, 22:04.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs
29. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs Feb 9, 2017, 15:12 NewMaxx

The helicopter controls were clearly designed around a gamepad and for novices (auto-hover, easy up/down lift, etc) but getting it to do what you want (see: try aiming the front miniguns) is a bit more difficult. It's possible to get tolerably good at it with some practice but it could be a hell of a lot better. I cut my teeth on Desert Combat so for me it's an abomination, but hey...  

20. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs Feb 9, 2017, 13:27 NewMaxx

Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 13:25:
I enjoyed the beeta but there's no way in hell I'm paying $80 for the game. If it were $40 I'd bite but otherwise no.

It was <$42 in late December on GMG (30% off), which is where I bought it, a price I consider...acceptable.

15. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs Feb 9, 2017, 12:36 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 11:51:
It's ironic that nvidia are talking about their high end cards as being necessary to "play smoothly", but they didn't bother to release a driver for the damned game during the closed beta.

NVIDIA usually puts out guides for games to help people decide what settings to use and that led directly to them having the "optimized experience" with their software. My feeling is, they didn't want to advertise the poor optimization in the beta by putting out a makeshift driver that would make it impossible to have a reliable guide or "optimized experience" - in other words, they are working with Ubisoft and on a new driver for either open beta (likely) or release (more likely a patch) before they roll all of that out.

AMD is more often playing catch-up on drivers (read [H]'s recent review on that - NVIDIA is usually optimized from the get go while AMD improves over drivers) so they're okay with rolling out as it comes. I think NVIDIA wants to nail it the first time around and closed beta isn't a priority. I do think the open beta will be like For Honor's (or The Division's) where it's more of a demo/advertisement as a last ditch effort to secure pre-orders, and NVIDIA is likely to put all its eggs in that basket. Considering their 1070/1080 cards come with a copy of the game, it's even more likely to be a last-minute thing.

9. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs Feb 9, 2017, 11:42 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 10:59:
Something was definitely off, from the jumpy controls, to the frame pacing, to the weird stutters

It definitely felt like an unoptimized build but I saw the same shit last year with The Division. It's a little bit worse here, but as someone else stated there were improvements from the technical test. There will likely be an open beta but I don't expect much to be fixed by then. This was an ambitious project in some respects even if it doesn't seem like it, it's inherently less tight than what we saw in The Division, and I think that's spawning issues you see in many "open world" titles.

Vehicle controls, both on ground and air, definitely felt off. I think those can be adjusted to some degree and using a gamepad felt better than kb/m (which I'm fine with - I can switch on the fly). FPS had issues when in motion and in some regions and I'm hopeful that will be fixed a la The Division, possibly with a driver update as well (from NVIDIA anyway).

On the whole it did feel "loose" which I think a lot of people dislike but I actually kind of liked that as it felt like some of the old co-op games I used to play. My 2nd most played game is RB6 and that was designed to be as tight as possible (esp. for console play) but I think for an open world co-op title it's better to be loose. The real issue is that people were expecting a Ghost Recon experience which tends to be tighter than what I saw in the tests so far (and is unlikely to change much) so it will create divisions in the userbase...but despite me being an older gamer I actually like it in this game (and got some hilarious videos out of the closed beta with friends).

8. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands System Specs Feb 9, 2017, 11:29 NewMaxx

Closed beta performance was pretty terrible and that is in consensus (check the sub-Reddit). I had it at maximum settings for 1080p with an overclocked 6700K and GTX 1080, on a SSD with 32GB of DDR4-3200. I have a FPS cap at 60 so for the most part it's fine (58 FPS avg), but in motion and in certain areas you have very noticeable dips (that is, FPS isn't as consistent as it should be). Mostly GPU limited with a few CPU spikes in there, so it's definitely an optimization issue. I saw the same problems a year ago in The Division's betas but they got ironed out pretty quick after release with a patch and a new driver. My friends have a GTX 960, 1070, and 290X, all of which were playable at 1080p but it wasn't the smoothest gameplay when in motion.

I've started to upload videos and stream on YouTube/Beam so if I didn't seem friendly during the closed beta it was because I was grabbing some initial footage to dial in my various settings. (I know I have The Half Elf on my UPlay friendlist, anyway, I just mean don't take it personally)

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 9, 2017, 08:20 NewMaxx

My friends constantly pester me about getting VR. I keep telling them: the price needs to come down and it needs a killer app. It's just not mature enough yet. "But you can afford that GTX 1080!" they cry; so? I'd more likely spend VR money on a decent gaming monitor. I don't expect VR to be there for another 2-3 years, I keep saying, and nothing has presented itself to change my mind...except maybe to push that estimate even further back.

(I will admit the Star Trek game intrigues me a lot, though)

News Comments > ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit
25. Re: ZeniMax Wins $500M in Oculus Lawsuit Feb 2, 2017, 05:29 NewMaxx

Wait, wait, 500 million? 10% of 4-6 billion as was litigated? Who ever could have predicted that.  

News Comments > For Honor Open Beta Next Month
5. Re: For Honor Open Beta Next Month Feb 1, 2017, 13:21 NewMaxx

Quinn wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 11:09:
I am not a supporter of this cancerturd.

If this is the direction games are going, DON'T sign me up. I was planning to record a video for YouTube with it, but it was so buggy and mindblowingly dumb I didn't bother.

I was only really interested in a co-op campaign for it, and that'll be for when it hits the bargain bin down the road. I have no doubt it appeals to certain people, maybe even a lot of people, but I've always hated this kind of shit.

News Comments > Deus Ex Series Hiatus?
36. Re: Deus Ex Series Hiatus? Jan 30, 2017, 19:26 NewMaxx

Gender did come up as an issue during Fallout 4's development. Originally the main character was simply going to be male. So it is something that is unfortunately discussed a lot in the industry. Also, I pre-ordered both HR and MD, and MD definitely suffered more porting issues. Thief was also lambasted for some of its design decisions including the lack of jumping, but it was still way better than Thief 3 (IMHO). HR was generally well-received outside of the boss battle issue which was later solved.

The problem with MD is as I posted earlier: too many external foci. The one I didn't even mention is how they wanted an entire universe built around Deus Ex and I really feel that detracted from the gameplay experience in many ways, including the incomplete ending. Still a good game.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 30, 2017, 14:49 NewMaxx

Bard wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 14:21:
Fake news - how about that BBC report of WTC7 falling down before it did?

But but the BBC is 5 hours ahead of the U.S.! They can see into the future!1!!1!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 30, 2017, 14:46 NewMaxx

Performance gains from reducing load on the CPU subsystem bring results in the min and avg of FPS; it makes games feel smoother. It's the same result from upgrading your CPU. A lot of people think a 2500K is still sufficient but upgrading to a 6700K from there, same frequency (4.5GHz), I get as much as +50% on min/avg FPS with a GTX 1080 and it feels a lot smoother. Likewise utilizing DX12 to get more efficient use out of the CPU can often feel a bit smoother in games. People looking for benchmark-like gains with the wow factor of maximum FPS will be disappointed, but who the hell doesn't run some sort of sync these days? I've been living tear-free for eons and it's easier than ever with the technology available today. This mode will just make games feel a bit smoother, it is a subjective advantage; see [H]ardOCP's review methodology to see what I mean.  

929 Comments. 47 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo