Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1127 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Beta Preloads
2. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Beta Preloads Sep 25, 2017, 22:58 NewMaxx

Ah yes, a beta not only over the weekend but with a preload open well beforehand to all. A very novel concept lately.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Intel's "Best Gaming Processor Ever"
39. Re: Better Overclocking1 Sep 25, 2017, 20:14 NewMaxx

Slick wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 18:42:
Well, any game running the Frostbite engine makes great use of >4 cores. In fact the performance dropoff from an i7 to an i5 in the same class is quite noticeable in MP. like 30-40%

Quite true. BF1 was the game that got me to upgrade my 2500K to a 6700K as I was hitting the CPU ceiling with my GTX 1080. In my testing the 6700K @ 4.4 GHz would peak at +50% over my 2500K @ 4.5 GHz, relative to utilization (that is, the 6700K's CPU usage % was about 2/3 of the 2500K's at peak). This was especially true when recording/streaming in x264 which added about 20% absolute usage on the 6700K, a total state that would have been around 125% with the 2500K but was 80%-90% on the 6700K.

Quite frankly I'm already back to hitting my limits when x264 streaming on the 6700K now that I run a 144 Hz monitor, unfortunately Intel has deemed me unworthy of a direct upgrade to a 8700K so I'll have to wait for Zen 2.

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 25, 2017, 18:52 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 05:24:
and then the MUDs Shadows of Yserbius and its sequels Twinion/Cawdor on The Imagination Network, Sierra Online's "connected theme park". I remember there being a Red Baron dogfighting game on there too, that I played a bit of.

I played all three religiously so I'm sure we crossed paths at some point (and also came from BBS MUDs). I don't actually remember my moniker back then, well actually I guess I do since the names were so simple, but in any case...yeah, good times.

23. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 15:45 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 14:13:
@NewMaxx,

What's your take on how much can be accomplished by an engine like Unreal committing to parallel processing? I guess they're still dependent on DX12/Vulcan for implementation? The benefit in theory being once it's in Unreal (or any other engine) the developers don't have to think about it too much.

On a higher (more general) level I would suggest perusing Intel's Designing the Framework of a Parallel Game Engine. Effectively, it is a blueprint for how game engines should be designed in ordered to be capable of efficient multi-threading. You will see the author mentions some of the drivers I mentioned below (beyond graphics: AI and physics, and I tend to include audio in the latter as they are actually related in game design while generally being in a 3D space). He ends by stating, "properly building parallelism into your game engine will give it significant performance gains on modern and all future processors." Probably a bit vague for the average person but ultimately he insinuates that game developers don't like dealing with CPU synchronization manually so they rely on the engine to do that, and an engine is only effective with multiple threads if it's designed to leverage discrete elements (which I believe will become more relevant with VR/AR and further that low-level APIs will simply make implementation easier - DX12/Vulkan are simply methods of abstraction for universality).

17. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 13:59 NewMaxx

VaranDragon wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 13:28:
For those of you who think it's as easy as pie to make efficient use of multiple cores in game engines i.e. multithreaded parallel programming: How many of you can code, and how many of you have ever attempted to write parallel code?

I have coded multiple threads so I have a pretty good idea. Depending on the load it can be quite challenging, and gaming certainly falls into that category.

You will see better utilization of threads once DX12 becomes universal and also as VR matures. The former because it is closer to the "metal" which implies better efficiency with compilers - I programmed parallel threads in assembly and that is one of the few areas manual coding can defeat compilers; DX12 and its ilk (e.g. Vulkan) essentially are designed around bringing that level of optimization to the developer for gaming-specific tasks while still being relatively easy to implement (while also being universal if possible). VR (and in many instances, AR) because it lends itself much better to parallelization - check out NVIDIA's SMP for a rough example, the overlap in iterations with 3D space will eventually leverage multiple cores - but also because it will inevitably lead to advances in AI and physics, the former at least of which benefits from fewer, stronger threads (that is, 8-core CPU versus 2048-stream GPU).

Generally speaking you don't see a lot of cores utilized in games because there's little benefit to it. Even simply having the cores available is not enough motivation. Of course, consoles have long been core-hungry but that's like saying smartphones are core-hungry; it's about application, it's about power trade-offs. Low-level APIs for gaming are pushing multi-core in response to more, lower-clocked cores being more efficient and cost effective (in comparison to the brick wall of physics you hit past 4.5 GHz or so), but again for VR and AI at least on the high-end (desktop) you still need more threads albeit more powerful ones. Quite frankly the powerful CPU industry as we know it on the desktop, which has been more or less consistent for 6+ years now, has largely stagnated and is awaiting evolutions in other areas.

4. Re: Intel's Sep 25, 2017, 11:56 NewMaxx

It's the best CPU ever!!!¹

¹changing motherboard every nine months for no reason may cause rectal bleeding

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 24, 2017, 18:13 NewMaxx

Dirwulf wrote on Sep 24, 2017, 14:42:
Considering Amazon started this in 2008, I'm pretty sure they didn't steal the idea from Shark Tank.

I was being facetious. My point is that it's not a ground-breaking idea. From the article (emphasis mine):

“Jeff Bezos has predicted that, by the year 2020, one out of every four workampers in the United States will have worked for Amazon.”

I find it interesting more as a solution to peak/valley demand swings, something the cloud was supposed to do for servers.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Sep 24, 2017, 14:26 NewMaxx

Amazon's pseudo, mobile "cottage industry" is of course not a new idea, but more specifically they borrowed a page from Shark Tank.  

News Comments > Ultima Online Turns 20
2. Re: Ultima Online Turns 20 Sep 24, 2017, 14:16 NewMaxx

Yep, great game, could be hard as hell and I got in over my head back then but it was definitely unique. It's interesting to note how many features it had that would take time to be introduced into newer MMOs. I consider it the archetype of the traditional, graphical MMO - I tend to think WoW was/is closer to a MOBA in many ways in comparison - and such games never have true mass market appeal. It's still challenging to find a comparable experience to UO (and Shrouds of the Avatar does not do it, IMHO).  

News Comments > Overwatch Free Weekend Underway
5. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Sep 23, 2017, 18:42 NewMaxx

GamersNexus also did some benchmarks a while back and the Battle.net client caused significant performance issues when running on Ryzen. Of course, Ryzen has had lots of strange issues like that (early Ryzen chips have been RMA'd for those that didn't know) with its host of teething problems (mostly memory-related and mostly alleviated with BIOS updates) but nonetheless worth noting the first point in this post.  

News Comments > Overwatch Competitive Bans Coming
7. Re: etc. Sep 21, 2017, 21:03 NewMaxx

Pigeon wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 11:56:
I've heard it's a thing for highly ranked players to have other accounts so they can grief the lower ranks (among other reasons).

Happens in many games and is known as "smurfing."

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
4. Re: etc. Sep 18, 2017, 02:18 NewMaxx

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 17, 2017, 19:02:
No where in there does it say anything about the person who won the popular, fair and square, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Wow.

News Comments > Two Steam Concurrent User Records Broken
3. Re: Two Steam Concurrent User Records Broken Sep 17, 2017, 19:03 NewMaxx

Osc8r wrote on Sep 17, 2017, 18:58:
KOTK was often in the steam to 10 and the game was a stinking POS that got progressively worse every patch. This was enough of a clue that their was huge untapped market right there...

BG is more accessible and appears to be run by a company that knows what they are doing - with the game constantly changing/improving.

Exactly. Knowing your audience is a big part of it. The difference between a success and a huge success is often found in staying power...and that is largely due to community engagement.

News Comments > Warframe Plains of Eidolon Trailer
3. Re: Warframe Plains of Eidolon Trailer Sep 16, 2017, 21:16 NewMaxx

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 16, 2017, 19:11:
I guess I should get around to trying Warframe, and forget about the Destiny 2 nonsense.

Valid decision.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 18:08 NewMaxx

jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:16:
Good luck, keep us informed. You too, Shok.

The place I was staying at was going to be evacuated so I ended up driving right back the next day. Fun! At least I'm prepared.

Note: you start to see the reality of human stupidity and greed when evacuating. Cell towers and gas stations were overwhelmed the entire way largely due to people watching YT and stupid shit and idiots blocking gas pumps. I'll also add there was a 3-hour delay due to accidents all caused by people using the shoulder as a third lane - despite signs saying only to use in emergencies. Starting to see the benefits to auto-driving cars (far better traffic flow) and the failings of net neutrality (priority should have been given to people checking forecasts, bookings, etc).

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 7, 2017, 17:15 NewMaxx

Out near Jacksonville. Finishing up the storm shutters this evening, every piece of glass will be covered with corrugated steel. Got a cement-reinforced fence and environmental cover on three sides, also up the highest in the neighborhood. Headed Northwest at first light. Best I can do.  

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 10:37 NewMaxx

Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 09:30:
Y'all think Win10 is bad about forced reboots? Try Server 2016 which has the same forced reboot policy. "B...b...but you can set active hours!" Yeah, about that, see when you have a PDC and you have users that access your network 24/7/365 from both local and remote locations and you use AD as your authentication schema, that becomes problematic.

In a way, though, it has been a blessing in disguise. It has finally woken up some of my fellow sysadmins who have had their heads shoved way up MS' ass and we're looking at better, Linux based solutions for a lot of what we do.

Pretty much. I run Enterprise on my main workstation and it's been a pretty poor experience. I unfortunately have a lot of purchased software that runs on Windows so I tossed it on my one server and that has proven to be a mistake, definitely a lot more downtime. All my VMs are Linux of course but my server would be, too, if I didn't rely on so much Windows software for the pre-existing setup. Microsoft is at least aware of these issues and supposedly will be changing their approach. I think we've heard that before...

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 10:34 NewMaxx

MeanJim wrote on Sep 4, 2017, 00:27:
So it's the Creators Update that's being pushed out to everyone next month that breaks startup programs? Great, more fun to look forward to...

The upcoming update is the second (Fall) Creators Update. I'm an early adopter and a power user so I have issues that most people won't, but now we have options like the bloatware free edition and Microsoft will be allowing an opt-out on pushed updates which were a large source of concern. The average user won't have too many issues (or really any more than past Windows OS) but it's worth exercising some caution before jumping on updates.

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 21:34 NewMaxx

wtf_man wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 18:57:
So what's the catch? I removed Windows updates. Why? Because it will break the first time one of those stupid cumulative updates tries to install.

Bingo, this guy gets it. Major Geeks's Bloatware Free edition is a good image to start with if anyone is curious.

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 21:27 NewMaxx

MeanJim wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 19:28:
I generally like a clean boot and don't run things on startup, but I do have a couple of programs that I set to run at startup and no update stopped them.

The Creators Update broke a number of methods used for services such as NSSM. As I said we did find workarounds for all the issues but when you're running a server doing tons of things and it reboots from an update with half its shit not running it's a tad inconvenient. I had no problem with it on my main machines but other updates did cause various issues. The USB issue I mentioned was one linked to the Enterprise version (which I run on my workstation) as they didn't roll out the update like they do on consumer machines and the manual update was borked. The backup issue was caused because they essentially use the Windows 7 form of backup but when you work with UEFI it can mess it up.

I never said these were typical issues but for any serious user it's been a drain on resources. Like I said - it's fine for gaming but I'd steer clear of it otherwise. If you use it for a dedicated gaming machine or for light work, sure, but to say the updates haven't been a complete f'n mess (pardon my language) for serious work is a different matter...I could rally off a half dozen other issues in that arena.

1127 Comments. 57 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo