Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for NewMaxx

Real Name NewMaxx   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 4, 2007, 21:44
Total Comments 1164 (Pro)
User ID 41686

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
16. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 19:53 NewMaxx

Dacron wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 19:05:
Still 50% off on uplay atm, at least in my region (Canada).

Still 50% off here, too (US). I take it he meant the next time it's on sale following a free weekend (so he can try it first).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
11. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 14:47 NewMaxx

Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:08:
I've been meaning to ask. Is this game worth it? 7 bucks for the freemium version and 20 bucks for the standard version are tempting.

I played in the beta and was mostly uninterested due to how far away it was getting from the older games. Later on, within its first year, I checked it out during a free weekend with some friends and I actually really liked it. Picked it up during a sale right after that with no hesitation. Was a good choice - I have about 240 hours in it now. It's not for everyone but I would strongly suggest checking it out over a free weekend before deciding (we just had one). The freemium version is fine - one of my friends has it - but it really limits you in terms of flexibility. I love having all the operators available to me (and the base ones for a reasonable unlock price). If you're someone who "mains" then that might be a different story, also there are always the season passes.

4. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 11:03 NewMaxx

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:20:
W/out friendly fire how can the griefers grief.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but they are very creative in finding ways to grief. I play this game more than any other so trust me, I know.

Relevant Reddit thread

1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 10:16 NewMaxx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ  

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Year Three Details
1. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Year Three Details Nov 20, 2017, 19:50 NewMaxx

Year Three already!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iabC7-9YUG4

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Celebrates Fifth Anniversary With a Patch
1. Re: PlanetSide 2 Celebrates Fifth Anniversary With a Patch Nov 20, 2017, 11:20 NewMaxx

My feelings about this (as a big PS2 fan):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w92RLWYzSOE

News Comments > Golden Joystick Winners
12. Re: Golden Joystick Winners Nov 19, 2017, 19:50 NewMaxx

My two cents - if Divinity: Original Sin 2 wins nothing, these awards are worth nothing.

Also, Ashly Burch got blanked by Telltale due to the strike (Life is Strange) and a lot of people worried about that, but here she wins not one but TWO awards...

This comment was edited on Nov 19, 2017, 20:04.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 01:14 NewMaxx

As someone who used to read Electronic Arts on his C64 screen...you have failed your mission statement.  

News Comments > Play Rainbow Six Siege for Free This Weekend
1. Re: Play Rainbow Six Siege for Free This Weekend Nov 15, 2017, 09:43 NewMaxx

237H in this bad boy. What a value!  

News Comments > A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia Announced
6. Re: A Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia Announced Nov 15, 2017, 09:40 NewMaxx

Numinar wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 00:10:
They have done this before, but it's a good setting and period.

I think you're referring to the Britannia campaign included in the Kingdoms expansion pack for Medieval: Total War 2. Saga is almost four centuries earlier than that so it's not precisely the same thing.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints
80. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:07 NewMaxx

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:52:
I like indy gaming.

Forrest Gump over here has the right idea!

(not meaning that as an insult, I'm being serious...I'm tired of this crap)

79. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:05 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:53:
EA: "The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes." Got a quarter-million downvotes, and counting.

That sums up what I'm talking about.

Yes, exactly. A sense of pride and accomplishment...which I'm fully behind not giving people for buying the Deluxe Edition but when they offer shortcuts to get there it does come off as disingenuous.

78. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 19:04 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 18:34:
This entire thread is about a Redditer saying they plan on cancelling their $80 Deluxe Edition preorder because it still requires work to unlock hero characters (specifically Darth Vader in this case). That's specifically what I am addressing here.

My point is people who behave like that are "children" because they feel they are entitled to those characters merely because they paid $80 for the Deluxe Edition. To expect pricier editions come with rarer characters would immediately create an unfair advantage for basic preorders versus higher tiered preorders. That's called Pay 2 Win. EA is all kinds of things but I'm pretty sure they would never introduce P2W in preorder tiers. That's not good business.

Fair enough, you're right. There's plenty of genuine concerns about what EA is doing with BF2 but this specific Reddit post is as you say. Of course it quickly branched out into other things...

66. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Grind Complaints Nov 13, 2017, 18:09 NewMaxx

Kxmode wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 16:56:
This is literally the reason WOW turned into a crappy game. Too many lazy, entitled "children" who don't want to work for things they want. Remember how hard it was to obtain a Jedi class in Star Wars Galaxies, or how hard it was to complete Naxxramas in vanilla WOW, or trying to obtain a legendary in GW2?

While I agree with what you're saying (I was first 8/8 T2 on my server) I don't think that is the problem here.

To share from my personal experience, I have a group of friends that play together (usually we are a 4-man group). We all purchased BF1 but 2 of them have full-time careers and 2 of them have families so progression was all over the place. I remember my one friend - family and job responsibilities combined - really want a certain weapon and other unlocks. When I posted how difficult this was for him on a BF1 reddit/forum I basically got shouted down because it "only took 20 hours." Now for them that might be a weekend (and I could certainly do 8/hrs a day Friday-Sunday if I had to) but for my friend that was a month's worth.

So the problem here is that EA kept that aspect of the game-play, that is pandering to people who focus all of their time on one game at a time, and added in a paid shortcut for people like my friend. Does my friend enjoy that? Not at all. He'd rather play the game at his own pace and earn things. It's just there is an expectation that an "average" player will be putting in 1000+ hours into some of these games and that's just f'n ridiculous, pardon my language.

So it's not about "children" who "don't want to work for things," it's about the fact the games control how long it takes to earn things artificially which enables them to basically pace and price it specifically to earn the most amount of money. That's no longer a game, it's a gambling/extortion scheme. Old school games like the ones you mention are a different story all together as they weren't targeting a massive audience (when WoW's playerbase got larger, things got easier).

60. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Nov 13, 2017, 17:20 NewMaxx

Kajetan wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 11:23:
I hate what gaming has become.

My last personally purchased consoles were the PSX and the N64. Someone gifted me a Wii but it doesn't really count as I never bought any games for it. I went over to the PC and never looked back.

I have a Nintendo Switch coming in this weekend. That's right. The current state of gaming has caused me to actually get f'n Nintendo hardware because I'm disgusted to the point of not playing on PC anymore. Guess which system EA isn't developing for? The Switch. Guess who doesn't give a flying F? Me.

(and yes I'm aware that Nintendo is not immune to microtransactions, my point simply is that every game I tried this f'n holiday has been a piece of shit lootbox hellhole that frankly has me using my iGPU laptop more than my gaming desktop lately)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
6. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 13, 2017, 07:12 NewMaxx

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 13, 2017, 02:08:
I cant believe how CoD is that successful... Its one of the worst games I have seen in a long time.

You'd think so but then Angry Joe gave it a 6/10 and if you check out the other games he gave that score (e.g., Destiny 2), it's not really a bad rating. How he can give that to a game with zero authenticity, braindead mechanics, and social lootboxes is beyond me. Personally I found it so repulsive that I may never play the series again.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 8, 2017, 20:17 NewMaxx

For those curious about the whole AMD -> Intel Raja thing...

I previously posted on Blue's about how it was an open secret that people wanted to acquire AMD but only in parts. Specifically, I stated (as a relevant example) that Samsung wanted the CPU division but would have spun off and sold the GPU division (which Raja led) to Intel. It's clear now that this discussion did take place but did not pan out that way - possibly due to the current market - and instead we have AMD cooperating with Intel with on-die GPUs even as the latter scooped up Raja for their own ends. Keep in mind that the last "discrete GPU" project from Intel, Larrabee, led to a specialized CPU design leveraged only for specific AI tasks, so it's important not to read into this too much. Given the compute performance (architecture) of Vega it's not like they hired him to make gaming chips.

News Comments > Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins
59. Re: Ubisoft Denies Denuvo Slowing Assassin's Creed: Origins Nov 5, 2017, 11:27 NewMaxx

Denuvo is not hard to crack, it's Denuvo + VMProtect. That's always been the case. Denuvo has never had a significant impact on performance; as I stated in the other AC:O thread, the most I've personally tested is ~5%, excluding special cases (the implementation is customized to each title). Nevertheless, we see a 16% performance boost on 6-core Intel chips from the recent patch, and I still say there's some sort of shenanigans going on with the CPU performance, it's just unlikely DRM-related.  

News Comments > Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 4, 2017, 19:22 NewMaxx

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 18:36:
25% goes to the creator, but likely Valve is also taking part of that 75% cut along with Facepunch, because the items being distributed through Valve's workshop.

Indeed, to clarify on what I said about PS2 it was actually 25% of net revenue to creators, which means if Steam/Valve took let's say 30% of face value then in actuality the author would only get 17.5% of face (developer 52.5%), but in any case...developers gets three times as much.

News Comments > Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors
5. Re: Over $1M Paid to Rust Community Skin Authors Nov 4, 2017, 18:17 NewMaxx

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2017, 11:50:
*Disclaimer* I'm not a Rust player or modder.

Something tells me $1 million is a small fraction of what the Rust developers took in from those skins.

My point of reference would be Planetside 2 which I played for years and worked within the creator community (and to this day I still think Sony approached F2P appropriately and they did work closely with the community). Originally they had the skins split three ways (weapons, vehicles, characters) for let's say $2.50 each and later unified these into a single set for say $5. In the former case the creator might only get 25% of face value but later it was changed to 50/50; now of course the face value went down 33% (7.50 -> 5.00) so this was a concession from the developer, but sales also increased and it made wading through the skins far easier.

Ahem, anyway, I remember it started off at about $10k/quarter so clearly 1 million in comparison is ridiculous. But if I had to guess how much the developers were taking I'd say closer to where PS2 started off, or 75%. That's not atypical at all in the F2P industry. Again, I think PS2's model and changes were admirable but unfortunately we've gone backwards with microtransactions lately (IMHO).

1164 Comments. 59 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo