Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 904 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 27, 2016, 19:32 Aero

That "Symphony" ratings thing looks like some extraordinarily shady shit.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 25, 2016, 21:26 Aero

Ah, remember when laptop LCDs had an effective viewing angle of about +/- five degrees and they tried to pass it off as a "privacy" feature? Hm.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Begins
4. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Begins Aug 11, 2016, 18:55 Aero

There really isn't any connection between the Battle of X games and Cliffs of Dover. Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion mod is pretty damn good, but it's also hampered by what is and is not possible via modding. What they've done is amazing, but there's a limit.

I paid $100 or whatever for the super duper beta version of Battle of Stalingrad when it was released and that, I felt, was a huge waste of money. I haven't tried it in a while, but I understand it has improved some. Moscow might be okay. Stalingrad had some nice features, but at it's core it was a small scale, arena multiplayer flight sim with some gamey SP modes bolted on. It was not ROF in WW2 like everyone hoped. The developers were kind of dicks about it at first too.

I can't say I'm particularly excited about it, but the Steam blurb piqued my interest enough so that I'll be looking into it for sure. See what folks that know what they're on about are saying.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 1, 2016, 00:46 Aero

I'm not sure where all the excessive negativity toward No Man's Sky is coming from. Granted, I can appreciate the general weariness with an over reliance on randomly generated content, but it looks to me like No Man's Sky will do exactly what it says on the tin. It doesn't seem like the sort of game that will be worth putting hundreds of hours into, but I bet it will be fun for a few weekends before it gets too repetitive. Whether or not it's worth full price to me will depend on how well they've implemented the gameplay. If the flying and shooting and stuff is fun, I'm down.

I do think it's a shame we don't have a Freelancer style space sim on the horizon though--smaller, but more crafted and less randomly generated. Something with with an overall narrative, and factions and characters and stuff where your actions seem meaningful would be welcome. The sort of development effort put into a game like Witcher 3, but, you know, in spaceships and covering maybe a few dozen star systems would be awesome. That's probably asking too much, but it's a good ideal for a target. I think ED has the "effectively infinite but correspondingly sparse" space sim angle pretty well tied up.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 23, 2016, 00:21 Aero

I've been running a 4.7GHz 2600K for what seems like forever now and at least as far as gaming goes, even with money burning a hole in my pocket, there's nothing to replace it with that would be remotely worth it. I don't think I'd take a newer CPU and motherboard for free because it wouldn't be worth the hassle of installing it. The latest high end Intel CPU, motherboard and RAM for $1000+ altogether would probably get me, what? 20% more single threaded performance for games that obviously aren't CPU bound.

On the one hand, that's kind of nice because it saves money and upgrading. On the other, it sucks I don't can't buy something that's just straight up eight times faster like in the past.

Still, on my third hand, the money I've saved allowed me to buy a 1070 and a CV1, and my experience so far is that VR, even though the image quality is not *quite* there yet, is the coolest thing that's happened to gaming (well, at least the games I like) in a long, long time.

News Comments > Trials on Tatooine Released
8. Re: Trials on Tatooine Released Jul 19, 2016, 00:51 Aero

I bit the bullet and ordered a CV1 the other day since my main thing is racing sims, space sims and flight sims, and most of the ones I play have Rift support already, it seemed fairly reasonable. Adding VR to a game with naturally limited camera movement that already supports head tracking (TrackIR) seems like a "might as well" development feature.

Things like this Star Wars glorified tech demo worry me. I'm sure it's cool, but of it's to mostly be full-room "VR Only" games, there is a serious (very expensive) chicken or the (also very expensive) egg problem. I don't think I see full room VR thing like this properly taking off until a VR setup (complete with the hardware to run it) is in the sub $400 range, and even then, it'll still likely be a Kinect-like niche.

I don't know how well standard first person shooters work in VR. I'm looking forward to giving Dying Light a try even though it doesn't support head tracking (conceivably that's the way forward for FPS games anyways--as a bolt on like cockpit games minus the head tracking: same game but with stereo graphics a a wider field of view, I can live with that).

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 6, 2016, 14:29 Aero

JayDeath wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 14:01:
FC:Primal looks, runs and plays great. All the negativity is astounding. I think it's my favorite of the series, except maybe the first one.

I think the negativity comes from it just being a little too soon for more of the same, and probably doesn't really reflect on the game itself. FC3 and FC4 were great, and I'm sure FCP is at least a good, but with the FC games I tend to play not until the plot is complete or whatever, but when I'm sick of the gameplay. Granted, that's usually 30 or more hours of good gaming time, but the point at which I became sick of FC4 wasn't all that long ago. In a year I might love FCP, but right now, I may be sick of it before I've even bought it.

I do like what I've heard about the environment being more hostile. The early hours of FC3 rank among my best gaming memories of all time, when there was danger everywhere and you had to step lightly to survive. Once you became super Rambo, waltzing into enemy camps and headshotting everyone without a care, it quickly grew tiresome. That's the thing that makes me waver over whether not not to buy FCP. The plot sounds pretty stupid, but it does seem like the best FC sandbox yet.

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 6, 2016, 13:40 Aero

I've wavered over Far Cry Primal a few times. I like the Far Cry Template, but $60 is too much for a point release.

I have a friend with something like 300 hours in Factorio. I've often considered that one too. I'm not sure I'm quite OCD enough though. It seems like it would make a nice tablet-style game for when I'm sitting in the living room watching television, but I don't have a television in my living room.

Another friend I trust talked up Tomb Raider quite a bit and made it sound like good stupid fun. I bought it and it turned out to be my first ever Steam refund after 35 minutes of play. It wasn't awful though, so maybe I'll buy it again one day when it's in the $20 range.

News Comments > HTC Vive in April for $799
14. Re: HTC Vive in April for $799 Feb 21, 2016, 14:33 Aero

I am definitely a little disappointed after the ~$300 to $400 estimates went up in smoke. All the same, I'll probably buy a headset come June or July once the dust has settled. I've heard very good things about the Vive's head tracking.

I do have doubts about the future though because I'm probably a special case. Most of the games I play are racing sims, flight sims and space sims where you are sitting in a cockpit and a VR headset makes all kinds of sense. I use a TrackIR for those anyways, and VR headsets are just an upgrade on that principle. I'm near due for an upgrade anyways, so $1200 or so isn't necessarily a deal breaker. It's definitely a lot of money, though. Not the sort of money I spend without very good reason. VR *could* be very good reason, or it might not be.

Other sorts of games like first person shooters and the like, I'm not convinced it will be worth it for. There's almost going to have to be an entirely new genre nobody has thought of yet if they expect it to go beyond the sim niche. That said, free running on rooftops in Dying Light might be pretty cool with a headset if it supports them.

News Comments > On DOOM's Campaign Length
16. Re: On DOOM's Campaign Length Feb 14, 2016, 20:39 Aero

When Rage was doing it's straight-forward linear shooter thing, I thought it was excellent. It was all the rest of it that got in the way and dragged it down. The most recent Wolfenstein game was similarly excellent when it was just doing the shooter thing.

It is certainly no longer a momentous occasion when Id releases a new game and hasn't been since Doom 3 (or, I suppose you could argue, since Quake). I expect this new Doom to be good. Not great. Not particularly noteworthy. Just a competently executed first person shooter. I'll be happy with that. Maybe not "pay full price on release day" happy, but certainly happy enough to put it on the "buy sooner rather than later" list.

News Comments > Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month
4. Re: Star Citizen Becomes Two Games Next Month Jan 30, 2016, 13:35 Aero

Yeah, I'm assuming the base amount I gave them back before all the BS started includes everything (except the $300 ships I didn't buy) because that's what they said at the time. No backsies. Of course, nothing would surprise me at this point.

Ah, on reflection, here's what I figure: Backers will get Squadron 42. Star Citizen will be F2P with microtransactions. This is a totally uneducated guess since I stopped paying attention, figuring I'll start again once it's finished (sick to death of alphas and "Early Access".... I only play finished games now).

edit2: Er... or the other way around? Um... whatever. I never read the yellow text.

This comment was edited on Jan 30, 2016, 13:41.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 18, 2016, 18:37 Aero

PS3 and Xbone will drive any big numbers. I kind of doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of consoles make VR a significant selling point.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if two years from now there is a new Wii with VR headsets. A couple headsets, a couple Wii-Motes, Wii Sports or whatever, Oprah, and there's a 100 million easy.

edit: PS4, of course.

News Comments > Game Reviews
5. Re: Game Reviews Dec 28, 2015, 17:43 Aero

Yeah, that long splash screen in the beginning is just a long splash screen. It's not loading in the background or anything such has been the fashion for the last six or seven years. It's cool, I like it, but I've seen it enough already.  

News Comments > Bombshell Trailer
1. Re: Bombshell Trailer Dec 8, 2015, 21:28 Aero

I shall look forward to playing this in 2025.  

News Comments > DiRT Rally Released
7. Re: DiRT Rally Released Dec 7, 2015, 23:54 Aero

You can definitely be competitive with a gamepad in racing sims (not sure about a joystick because you'll want separate analog brake and throttle inputs, but I know it's a done thing). It's better to think of a wheel as an immersion thing than a competitive advantage. It's a bigger advantage when the FFB is done really well, but Codemasters has always been pretty mediocre in that department.

The wheel market got kind of crazy lately with the release of the new consoles. All the entry level prices skyrocketed without any real improvement in the hardware. Used to be you could just buy a Logitech DFP or DFGT for $50 to $100 and that'd be a good starter wheel. I paid $250 for my G27 and now Logitech is asking $400 for what is essentially the same wheel but with a few more buttons and you have to pay an extra $60 for the H-gate shifter. If you don't mind spending a bit, I'd look into Thrustmaster or even Fanatec (though Fanatec doesn't have the best reputation for durability). Probably in truth the Logitech isn't a bad choice--their stuff has always had reliability and decent enough performance, but once you're up in that price range anyways, you're probably better off throwing another couple hundred bucks at it and getting better stuff. Ugh, I just went looking for a reasonably priced mid-range setup and kept ending up in the $700 range.

I do know that the Mad Catz and other bargain brand wheels are crap, so we're left with the problem that there isn't a decent entry level wheel. Maybe the Thrustmaster T150 is okay, but it still costs $200.

Um... I guess I went off on a bit of a tangent, but I find this all pretty shocking.

5. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 6, 2015, 19:58 Aero

Retired wrote on Dec 6, 2015, 16:31:
JC 3 is amazingly fun.

Agreed. I've apparently been lucky enough not to run into any bugs at all. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's going to be a classic, and anybody expecting something revolutionary would be disappointed, but what it definitely is is JC2 cranked up a couple notches, which is exactly what I wanted from it.

Also the gunplay mechanics are much improved, which makes firefights fun, whereas they were kind of a chore in JC2.

I think maybe it would be more appropriate to call it Just Cause 3.0.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
27. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 5, 2015, 21:13 Aero

IMO, they did a pretty good job with Elite Dangerous, but it really didn't quite live up to the name. They sacrificed a lot of realism for the sake of multiplayer and action. I felt the realism was the biggest draw for a game like Frontier 2. ED is not bad, I was just hoping for more.

I do think, though, that once it's TRULY finished (all the expansion packs complete), *then* maybe, even with SC and non-newtonian physics, it might have enough going for it to be the classic it should be.

I'll definitely say that FD are on point when it comes to development, so I have no doubt that it will get there someday. I certainly plan on buying Horizons once it's out of beta (I'm sick of betas). When it's fully fleshed out with more content, planetary landings and first person mode (though I don't care much for that in general), it could be a thing of beauty.

It's not for everyone though. The time-investment vs reward ratio is pretty tough.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous VR Specs
18. Re: Elite Dangerous VR Specs Dec 5, 2015, 17:22 Aero

I have a 970 and when I get around to buying a VR headset, probably the Rift consumer release, I was figuring I could just buy another 970. Splitting it up with one GPU driving each eye seems like logical approach, but I haven't been really paying attention to this stuff much, is such a setup feasible/practical?  

News Comments > Evening Patches
2. Re: Evening Patches Nov 30, 2015, 20:43 Aero

Holy fuck. Nevada for DCS. Finally.  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Plans
3. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Plans Nov 19, 2015, 19:27 Aero

I'd say there's about a 75% chance if I use a terminal, I'll get stuck to it. I understand that's common enough to cast some serious doubt over their QA effort.

Disabling clipping between Dogmeat and the player would save some annoying and unnecessary deaths as well.

904 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo