Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for AeroMechanical

Real Name AeroMechanical   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Aero
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Just some guy.
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 16, 2007, 02:48
Total Comments 919 (Graduate)
User ID 40534

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > F1 2017 Trailer
2. Re: F1 2017 Trailer Jul 28, 2017, 20:45 Aero

A shame they couldn't get VR in there somehow (I'd even pay more for it as DLC if that's what it took to get them to do it), though understandable it's for a mass market product. Though I think VR doesn't seem to be going anywhere particularly interesting in general lately, I do consider HMDs a must-have peripheral for racing simulators. I just can't get into racing sims on flat screens anymore, going back to that is as big a drop in immersion as playing with a gamepad versus a proper wheel and pedals.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Fallen Ghosts DLC
8. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Fallen Ghosts DLC May 31, 2017, 20:52 Aero

The Half Elf wrote on May 31, 2017, 14:48:
It seems like a cheap gimmick, just like the Sync shot. Why can't they borrow the guys who did the AI from The Division and set up AI snipers that will actually hunker down.

I think the AI is actually pretty good in Wildlands. They occasionally do stupid things because that's what you get with open world games, but generally they're good at using cover, maneuvering around obstacles and advancing on you. The snipers aren't particularly mobile though (they tend to be limited to the areas where they're spawned like rooftops or guard towers) but given that the foot soldiers are good at navigating the terrain, it would definitely add an interesting gameplay element to have lone snipers or two man sniper teams occasionally stalking you when you're out in the bush. One place where the game falls down a bit is that you pretty much always know when you're in danger. An extra element of unknown danger would make travelling much more exciting.

ed: Come to think of it, just regular random enemy infantry patrols would have added a *lot* to the gameplay. I wonder why they didn't do that. It seems like it would have taken next to no effort to make that happen, and yet you tend to only run into enemies at their bases/outposts or the occasional troop carrying vehicle driving by.

Weird.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 27, 2017, 11:28 Aero

Defining people by their jobs is an unfortunate historically American thing going back to the Calvinists' belief in a deterministic universe (since a lot of them ended up here after the English Civil War). Naturally this implies that if you're rich and comfortable and some other guy is starving and poor, clearly you are favored by God and he obviously has done something to be spurned by God and that is fine because it's all in His Plan (it's a great excuse for owning slaves and treating your workers like crap and other such things).

The religious dogma has largely gone away, but the effect on society hasn't. As I see it, American society would be way better off if people in general had more respect for one another and especially more self-respect. The in-built assumption that people in unskilled or low paying jobs haven't earned the right to as much respect as others isn't helping that. The fact that people in this position often begin to believe it themselves is especially not helping that.

And, something or other about video games because On Topic.

News Comments > Titanfall 2 DLC Next Week
3. Re: Titanfall 2 DLC Next Week May 26, 2017, 21:49 Aero

I never did try the multiplayer, so the DLC doesn't have any appeal to me. The SP was pretty damn good, though.

They ought to focus more on that in the future.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 May 22, 2017, 08:54 Aero

Avus wrote on May 21, 2017, 14:20:
Retired wrote on May 21, 2017, 12:50:
What do you mean it is an EA title? PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds is developed by Blueshole Inc. - a South Korean game developer. It has nothing to do with EA.

Early access.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jan 21, 2017, 00:28 Aero

That's useful and strange that it hasn't been in there longer since it probably took one developer a day to implement at most. It's was always a pain in the ass doing this manually. Frequently is was more convenient to just delete a game and redownload it to where I wanted it moved.  

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Plans
3. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Plans Dec 22, 2016, 23:30 Aero

Cliffs of Dover biggest weakness is the AI. The Team Fusion updates so far haven't done a whole lot for it, but hopefully that will change.

Even with it's faults, CLOD is still the best modern WW2 sim so this is fantastic news. The BOS thing just never really panned out, but they seem to be moving in a positive direction too.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow
1. Re: Battlefield 1 Patch Tomorrow Dec 12, 2016, 21:23 Aero

Lemme know when there are bots. Since the SP AI are very, very close to what I'd expect from bots already, you'd think it wouldn't be all that great a leap to just add them in properly.  

News Comments > Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality Released
2. Re: Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality Released Dec 5, 2016, 23:00 Aero

GinRummy wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 20:24:
I used to have a very old game (I think it was in EGA color) that was kinda like this but it only let you take out an appendix. It was very hard to do it exactly right, but if you just started cutting without knocking your patient out first he gave a bloodcurdling scream and gore splattered the screen. I usually just did that on purpose instead of trying to win.

"Life and Death." There was more than just an appendix, but I never got past the appendix either.

News Comments > HTC Calls for VR Cooperation
12. Re: HTC Calls for VR Cooperation Nov 25, 2016, 11:51 Aero

I have a hard time recommending VR to anyone who isn't into sim-racing, but there I'd recommend VR as emphatically as I'd recommend using a wheel and pedals--if you can afford it, you need to buy it (although waiting for the next generation never hurts if you're patient). VR is a very big deal for sim-racing. Anything in cockpits is really a no-brainer, but racing in particular is, given the simplicity of the controls.

There's a lot of potential in other applications like room-scale and things we probably just haven't thought up yet, but I think it's going to be a while, very likely at least a HMD hardware generation, before people who aren't into cockpit games get their money's worth. It's certainly cool, so if you have the disposable income for it, by all means check it out, but if it means sacrificing one thing for another, then that other thing--whatever it is--is probably not worth sacrificing right now.

I really don't know about the future of "VR" but I think the future of HMDs is probably good. It might be a niche future, but since the most expensive parts of HMDs are commodity hardware anyways, it'll probably be around for a while.

News Comments > Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale
28. Re: Star Citizen Schedule, Videos, Sale Nov 19, 2016, 15:28 Aero

Maybe we can have a new $50 tier called "Hire a Professional Management Team Who Only Give a Fuck About Releasing a Product and Making Money and Have Final Say on Development Milestones and Timelines." That doesn't always make for the best game releases, but at least there *are* releases.

I'll buy that. I understand there are some folks from Microsoft who have closely related experience from when they went in did the same damn thing to finally get Freelancer released.

News Comments > Dishonored 2 Patch Plans
26. Re: Dishonored 2 Patch Plans Nov 13, 2016, 13:00 Aero

I think it's great. The performance probably should be better, but at least for me (1070, 2500k@4.6GHz) it's not bad at all. Although it did take faffing about with control settings to make the mouse work properly across framerate regimes--enabling and turning "friction" all the way up is the best compromise for me and adequate enough to make mouse sensitivity not a bother.

I'm up to the asylum level and it's getting creepy to the point where I'm kind of nervous about continuing seeing as what I'm apparently expected to do next.

Of course, it does need some patching given the complaints. The id Tech engine, while maybe not always being the prettiest in every situation, could certainly always be counted on to be technically rock solid. I guess whoever was in charge of the changes from 'id Tech' to 'Void' wasn't as clever as Carmack. The id Tech engine always gave me the impression of maybe being too clever an implementation for its own good.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 Launch Trailer
5. Re: Watch Dogs 2 Launch Trailer Nov 9, 2016, 20:36 Aero

The first one did have quite a few admirable qualities and details. I didn't think it was awful, or even bad, but it just didn't really come together well as a whole. With some more work, sorting out some wonky mechanics and adding a little more gameplay variety, I think it would have been pretty good.

I think there is definite potential for a sequel to be good. I'm not counting on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out well.

News Comments > Mafia III Patched
14. Re: Mafia III Patched Oct 9, 2016, 19:04 Aero

Quboid wrote on Oct 9, 2016, 17:35:
How is performance now? Are people actually getting 60+ FPS with decent graphics and draw distance?

Yeah, I am. I've read about people with similar but more powerful systems than mine complaining that they aren't, though, so who knows what's the going on there. I've got a 2600K@4.5GHz and a 1070 GTX. I haven't actually measured, but I'd guess it's sticking around 60 fps all the time with everything turned up. It's smooth.

As for 'decent' graphics, I think it looks pretty good. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's technologically impressive, but it's put together well and the production value is impressive. The artwork and animations are often quite excellent. Draw distances are generally good enough with the transitions adequately handled, but there is the odd occasion of a car or object obviously popping-in. It would be nice to be able to fiddle with that setting as pushing it back 10% to 20% or so would probably eliminate it entirely. Some of the shaders for reflective surfaces and such occasionally get a little saturated in certain lighting conditions (dusk and dawn in particular).

I think the short of it is that it looks like a well-done PS4 or XBone game but at PC resolutions and frame rates (at least for me). Basically, it looks fine.

News Comments > Mafia III Released
7. Re: Mafia III Released Oct 7, 2016, 22:13 Aero

So far it Mafia 3 seems okay to me. The 30fps thing is a little annoying and some of the gameplay mechanics aren't quite there (like aiming seems a little clunky, which could be related to the 30 fps), but at least I haven't had any serious technical issues or crashing.

Seems like it will probably be a solid SP game, but worth holding off on to see how much they sort it out. Not amazing, but solid.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 27, 2016, 19:32 Aero

That "Symphony" ratings thing looks like some extraordinarily shady shit.  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 25, 2016, 21:26 Aero

Ah, remember when laptop LCDs had an effective viewing angle of about +/- five degrees and they tried to pass it off as a "privacy" feature? Hm.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Begins
4. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Begins Aug 11, 2016, 18:55 Aero

There really isn't any connection between the Battle of X games and Cliffs of Dover. Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion mod is pretty damn good, but it's also hampered by what is and is not possible via modding. What they've done is amazing, but there's a limit.

I paid $100 or whatever for the super duper beta version of Battle of Stalingrad when it was released and that, I felt, was a huge waste of money. I haven't tried it in a while, but I understand it has improved some. Moscow might be okay. Stalingrad had some nice features, but at it's core it was a small scale, arena multiplayer flight sim with some gamey SP modes bolted on. It was not ROF in WW2 like everyone hoped. The developers were kind of dicks about it at first too.

I can't say I'm particularly excited about it, but the Steam blurb piqued my interest enough so that I'll be looking into it for sure. See what folks that know what they're on about are saying.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
19. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 1, 2016, 00:46 Aero

I'm not sure where all the excessive negativity toward No Man's Sky is coming from. Granted, I can appreciate the general weariness with an over reliance on randomly generated content, but it looks to me like No Man's Sky will do exactly what it says on the tin. It doesn't seem like the sort of game that will be worth putting hundreds of hours into, but I bet it will be fun for a few weekends before it gets too repetitive. Whether or not it's worth full price to me will depend on how well they've implemented the gameplay. If the flying and shooting and stuff is fun, I'm down.

I do think it's a shame we don't have a Freelancer style space sim on the horizon though--smaller, but more crafted and less randomly generated. Something with with an overall narrative, and factions and characters and stuff where your actions seem meaningful would be welcome. The sort of development effort put into a game like Witcher 3, but, you know, in spaceships and covering maybe a few dozen star systems would be awesome. That's probably asking too much, but it's a good ideal for a target. I think ED has the "effectively infinite but correspondingly sparse" space sim angle pretty well tied up.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 23, 2016, 00:21 Aero

I've been running a 4.7GHz 2600K for what seems like forever now and at least as far as gaming goes, even with money burning a hole in my pocket, there's nothing to replace it with that would be remotely worth it. I don't think I'd take a newer CPU and motherboard for free because it wouldn't be worth the hassle of installing it. The latest high end Intel CPU, motherboard and RAM for $1000+ altogether would probably get me, what? 20% more single threaded performance for games that obviously aren't CPU bound.

On the one hand, that's kind of nice because it saves money and upgrading. On the other, it sucks I don't can't buy something that's just straight up eight times faster like in the past.

Still, on my third hand, the money I've saved allowed me to buy a 1070 and a CV1, and my experience so far is that VR, even though the image quality is not *quite* there yet, is the coolest thing that's happened to gaming (well, at least the games I like) in a long, long time.

919 Comments. 46 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo