Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Brooks

Real Name Brooks   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 22, 1999, 05:01
Total Comments 179 (Novice)
User ID 404

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office

33. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 7, 2015, 12:07 Zor

panbient wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:47:
Zor wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:01:
The "information" that comes from the community team is accessible to everyone with exception of the monthly magazine. That is eventually going to be available to everyone in physical form, though.

Are you saying they're planning on publishing a paper magazine? Like the print medium that's been disappearing over recent years?
It's a hard cover book of the entire publication, I believe. It's something they will put out once it's all done. I think they took pre-orders for it awhile back to gauge interest?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 7, 2015, 12:04 Zor

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:09:
Zor wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 10:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 09:18:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 07:43:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:16:
Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:35:
They've got what? 6 offices of varying size and 200'ish employees? That has to be 20 mil per annum and that's deffo on the low side. They must have spent at least 30ish mil so far? That sound about right. So they've got 2-3 years before the bread runs out. Heh, good luck.

I think they are closer to 300 by now.. and yeah they have subscribers who fork over money on a monthly basis that does not get added to the 85 mil total, so they have other monies coming in..

Wait, what? Subscription? For what? The game is not even out yet!

Didn't you hear? They made subscribers the new "Elite" Backers that get all the goodies and information, while original supporters got the shaft.

Thankfully I didn't pay much...
Not quite...

Subscription revenues contribute to the Star Citizen projectís development by funding Around the Verse (Thursdays at 9AM PST!) and Jump Point, the monthly digital magazine of Star Citizen. The revenues also fund the development and release of subscriber-exclusive perks and merchandise!

Though outdated, the subscription dollars go towards development of community-team content and not the actual game itself. The weekly productions, jump point magazine, in-game vanity items, etc are a product of the subscriptions. Also, access to a secluded area of the forum for subscribers where the questions for the weekly video content are curated from.

The "information" that comes from the community team is accessible to everyone with exception of the monthly magazine. That is eventually going to be available to everyone in physical form, though.

It essentially created a situation where your question is no longer answered unless you pay a monthly sub... which was my point None of the actual community questions are answered, sub questions are curated. Not ONE critical question (especially from original backers) is ever taken on.

So while replies are public, access to actually ask a question is not.
That just tells me that you probably don't even watch the content they publish. They take and answer serious questions all the time in my opinion.

However the Ask A Developer thread in the forums is open to everyone and any level of question can be asked and answered there and is done so frequently. The developer tracker shows activity at all levels of the forum, not just subscribers den (to which I personally have no access).

27. Re: Cloud Imperium Opens Frankfurt Office Jul 7, 2015, 10:01 Zor

eRe4s3r wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 09:18:
yuastnav wrote on Jul 7, 2015, 07:43:
{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 21:16:
Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 20:35:
They've got what? 6 offices of varying size and 200'ish employees? That has to be 20 mil per annum and that's deffo on the low side. They must have spent at least 30ish mil so far? That sound about right. So they've got 2-3 years before the bread runs out. Heh, good luck.

I think they are closer to 300 by now.. and yeah they have subscribers who fork over money on a monthly basis that does not get added to the 85 mil total, so they have other monies coming in..

Wait, what? Subscription? For what? The game is not even out yet!

Didn't you hear? They made subscribers the new "Elite" Backers that get all the goodies and information, while original supporters got the shaft.

Thankfully I didn't pay much...
Not quite...

Subscription revenues contribute to the Star Citizen projectís development by funding Around the Verse (Thursdays at 9AM PST!) and Jump Point, the monthly digital magazine of Star Citizen. The revenues also fund the development and release of subscriber-exclusive perks and merchandise!

Though outdated, the subscription dollars go towards development of community-team content and not the actual game itself. The weekly productions, jump point magazine, in-game vanity items, etc are a product of the subscriptions. Also, access to a secluded area of the forum for subscribers where the questions for the weekly video content are curated from.

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]

35. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 12:38 Zor

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:30:
nin wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:06:
And if I pledged at the very beginning, during the KS, why would I give a fuck about the FPS module?
* for those not in the know: During the original campaign there was only like a footnote on FPS boarding mechanics where a boarding party enters an enemy ship to kill the crew and take over the ship. A full-fledged FPS mode was not on the menu at all but added on post-campaign (and is now for some reason being done before the space game... awesome prioritization right there, CIG!).

You call it a foot note, but what you describe in terms of actual gameplay is a sophisticated mechanic in the grand scheme of things and the very ideas you cite (boarding/taking over a ship) is representative of some pretty full fledged FPS content. Why is it hard to grasp that it will a) take awhile to develop and b) that when its done it will be pretty awesome?

News Comments > Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs [Updated]

32. Re: Star Citizen Executive Producer Departs? Jul 6, 2015, 12:32 Zor

nin wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 12:06:
Dacron wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 11:58:
Tumbler wrote on Jul 6, 2015, 11:25:
Lotta bad news lately. I hope they can release the FPS module by the end of Sept and have something to show. That seemed to silence critics in the past.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that...

FPS delayed indefinitely

And if I pledged at the very beginning, during the KS, why would I give a fuck about the FPS module?

You may not, but whether you like it or not, FPS gameplay was always part of their SQ42 vision and it has to be developed for them to make what they want to make, which is what everyone's pledge money has gone to. Them making what they want to make. If that wasn't clear enough to you when you did the KS then you didn't read enough or understand at all what you pledged for and that is your fault.

News Comments > Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems

8. Re: Kotaku Sources: WBIE Knew of Batman: Arkham Knight Problems Jul 1, 2015, 13:49 Zor

The Half Elf wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 13:16:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2015, 12:55:
Well DUH.

Stop preordering shit.

Typically I would agree with you Creston, but WBIE and Rocksteady's track record was pretty damn good up till this point.
Despite that, there's still no good reason to pre-order most digitally distributed products.

News Comments > Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans

26. Re: Battlezone (1998) Remake Plans Jun 30, 2015, 09:26 Zor

This is gooooood. Very good.

Now if only we could get a Starfleet Command reboot......

News Comments > On Star Citizen FPS Delays

44. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 17:04 Zor

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 16:06:
Yes, but SQ42 is episodic now, so if and when it ever gets delivered it'll be a decade before it's done at this rate. All the real time and money is going into the P2W online game.

Let's just ignore the most recent information from CIG that the first "episode" of Squadron 42 is going to be what most studios release as a full retail title in playable content. *eyeroll*

And, um, what P2W are you referring to? It's a skill based game, not an RPG loot/gear/stats based game. Nor is there anything like a War Thunder/World of Tanks ammo shop.

36. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 14:56 Zor

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 12:45:
El Pit wrote on Jun 29, 2015, 12:42:
And then there were some fanboys on this forum saying that since it's the Unreal engine, the FPS part would be easy cake. Like looking for the line "FPS Mode=0" in the engine and changing it to "FPS Mode=1". Guess those guys are learning it the hard way that a) there is a difference between reality and fanatism and b) to never trust the snake oil salesman!
It's the Crysis not the Unreal engine. Not that it changes your point
You'll correct his error about the engine but say nothing of the fake quote by Chris Roberts he conjured up?

News Comments > Out of the Blue

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 29, 2015, 10:11 Zor

Blue, if you really reeeeaaaaalllllllyy want to enhance your experience of the trilogy, watch all the appendix discs in between the movies as well. They all tell a continuous story of development from film to film. So, movie -> appendices -> movie... etc. It will certainly take longer but I think you'll find the behind-the-scenes stuff fulfilling.  

4. Re: On Star Citizen FPS Delays Jun 29, 2015, 09:55 Zor

His letter, at least for me, seemed really informative and I loved the technical behind the scenes details about the server infrastructure. But, I will admit it did kinda seem like he was writing a fire extinguisher. You could sense the stress in his writing.

I certainly hope they will have something amazing from the Persistent Universe team and SQ42 team to show off at Gamescom in August. They're gonna need it.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2015, 11:49 Zor

is it possible that was an engorged tick?  

News Comments > Ghost Recon Wildlands Announced

22. Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands Announced Jun 16, 2015, 11:09 Zor

Cutter wrote on Jun 15, 2015, 20:37:
This glorification of the military with all these idiotic games is repulsive. The drug cartel is the threat to freedom? Really? Not the government telling people what they can and can't do and murdering people in other countries they don't agree with? Yeah, let's see a game based on the real threats to our freedom.

They were kinda/sorta doing that with the canceled Rainbow Six Patriots game:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy's_Rainbow_6:_Patriots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTrgNxeUWw8

News Comments > DOOM Snapmap Announced - Updated: New Trailer

15. Re: Gameplay videos too! Jun 15, 2015, 10:12 Zor

Ant wrote on Jun 14, 2015, 23:54:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1382619 has the gameplay videos from the PR event.
thanks for the link!

I'm glad to finally be a little optimistic for a DOOM game once again.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2015, 12:29 Zor

I debated between that and Saving Private Ryan. Ultimately decided on the shorter of the two.  

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV Trailer

9. Re: The Bard's Tale IV Trailer Jun 4, 2015, 12:16 Zor

WaltC wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 11:40:
nin wrote on Jun 4, 2015, 10:30:

It almost looks too good to the point that I worry about their budget supporting it. Of course, we don't know how much of their own money they're bringing to the table. But I feel pretty confident (based on the videos with the kid, and Fargo's comments) it doesn't feature outside funding.

But hey, I'm along for the ride. I keep seeing stuff like this (specifically gameplay/combat mechanic examples) and the pledge will go up as well.

People often believe that the artistry of a game boils down to the amount of money spent on it...nothing could be further from true...;) This trailer looks great because the crew who put it together knows what it's doing--and is talented enough to make it happen. That's far more important than throwing money at a game. Take a look at EA if you want to see where "How many game developers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?" philosophy gets you. It really doesn't matter how much money or how little money you throw at a game--if you don't know what you're doing the rest of it is in vain.

This looks great, so far! I especially liked the Talking Mouth...I had forgotten about them from the first games--so great to see those concepts finally brought to life! This may be the Bard's Tale that lived in my imagination as I played the game back in the 80's! This may even be better.
Yep, it's an example of excellent use of excellent tools. I think this game looks fantastic already from a visual design perspective. Never played the originals, but I might have to try this one at least.

The only thing I dislike are the in-engine trailers where a set rollercoaster camera path is run through a level and someone just pans the view around. It's not representative of actual gameplay. I'd much prefer a live keyboard/mouse playthrough.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Trailer

49. Re: Fallout 4 Trailer Jun 3, 2015, 14:38 Zor

I think it looks fine, but at least no one will likely need to worry about the game coming out and then looking worse than it does now, ya know?

With time they could do what others have done with texture packs or something.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2015, 10:03 Zor

Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.  

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer

9. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada Trailer May 8, 2015, 10:19 Zor

if I can launch Skitarii torpedoes, I'm sold  

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions

30. Re: Star Citizen Passes $80M; Accepting Subscription Contributions Apr 28, 2015, 11:49 Zor

Grokk wrote on Apr 27, 2015, 22:26:
The thing that really pisses me off with this, is that when I first purchased a ship, I was signing up for the mmo space sim thing.
I didn't want the single player campaign, although that was already part of the plan. I still don't want the fps part of the game.

For everything they've done so far, I'm really not seeing them getting closer to what I was actually paying for, and that's annoying as hell.

They way it's going, I'd be surprised to see anything (alpha/beta) this side of 2018, with a final release sometime around 2020.

I can be a patient man, but seriously, this is already pushing the limit.
If you'd paid a bit more attention to what they said they would do if they got enough funding, then you would have known exactly what you were potentially paying for. Sounds like you didn't pay close enough attention before contributing, thus, your disappointment. Who's really at fault?

179 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >