Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Brooks

Real Name Brooks   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 22, 1999, 05:01
Total Comments 179 (Novice)
User ID 404

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month

65. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:25 Zor

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:19:
You're simply wrong.
Actually, they're just mad, impatient, and in denial. It's amazing to see how much crap people here make up when they need some misinformation to suite their arguments.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:18 Zor

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:06:
Zor wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:04:
LurkerLito wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 11:55:
You're absolutely wrong:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description
Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win
Please point out where FPS was part of the original goal.

You're funny. You already answered your own question. I put it in bold and underlined it for you.

the FP in FPS stands for First Person, in case you forgot.

And you obviously don't know a thing about games. Star Marine is a FPS (S as in Shooter, call of duty BS) it has nothing to do with the original game. First person trading, sure walking around your ship yes, but shooter NO! Stop trying to add extra words in there that don't exist.
I didn't add extra words at all, I emphasized words already written. Star Marine is a shooter, yes, inside the context of a game universe that has need of a first-person-shooter level of functionality to realize the rest of the game's scope. That's where this keeps falling apart. Everyone who's angry at SC and CIG for one reason or another are just in love with citing "FPS" as their current go-to issue to point the finger at why one thing or another is delayed. "FPS" is also, unfortunately, being thrown around as a phrase with far too much generalizing in the context of Star Citizen's development and features. CIG will talk about FPS but they don't just mean Star Marine. They mean all the groundwork that it's building in order to enable all the other things you'll do in that game world besides shoot a gun when it's all put together.

58. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:09 Zor

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 14:46:
Zor wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:17:
You do understand that FPS, as referenced in the context of Star Citizen, is a "mechanic" and not it's genre, right?

Star Citizen is being developed as what amounts to a whole new genre: a First Person Experience

So now you are trying to argue that the mere mention of the camera perspective (when the first person space sim genre was clearly what they were referring to back then) automatically includes FPS as a mechanic. By the same logic any and all genres with first person perspectives are now part of the design doc. That certainly explains some of the warped expectations of rabid backers. When will the first person puzzle and first person building modules be out? After the first person surgery module? Or after the first person janitor module?
I'm not arguing anything, I'm clarifying. I'm not trying to argue semantics about perspective vs genre or gameplay. I of course know the difference between an FPS and why it's different from other games that also happen to be played in first person perspective. As I said, CIG has coined this game to be a First Person Experience, in every thing you do, and at FPS-level of detail and fidelity across the game. Snark aside, you're more correct than you intend. Any game mechanic or gameplay type included in Star Citizen will be done so in first person, and that's what they're going for.

44. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 13:17 Zor

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:10:
Zor wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:04:
You're funny. You already answered your own question. I put it in bold and underlined it for you.

You understand that camera perspective and game genre are different things?
You do understand that FPS, as referenced in the context of Star Citizen, is a "mechanic" and not it's genre, right?

Star Citizen is being developed as what amounts to a whole new genre: a First Person Experience

41. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 13:05 Zor

Flatline wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 12:41:
"the FPS fails at fundamental design levels to be fun and we're basically taking the thing back to design indefinitely and we don't have any estimate of when FPS will be in the game"
Where was that quoted from?

39. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 13:04 Zor

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 11:55:
You're absolutely wrong:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/description
Real quick, Star Citizen is:

A rich universe focused on epic space adventure, trading and dogfighting in first person.
Single Player – Offline or Online(Drop in / Drop out co-op play)
Persistent Universe (hosted by US)
Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)
No Subscriptions
No Pay to Win
Please point out where FPS was part of the original goal.

18. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 11:23 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 11:03:
we said we hoped it was going to be out sometime in April, but 'don't hold me to that' was what I actually said.

He also ACTUALLY said he needed "20 million dollars" to make this game and we would have a complete game in a beta stage by 2015. I don't believe a word he says. He's a confirmed liar.
You're paraphrasing a lot, though. There's a 20 million dollar version of the game they could have made. There's also a 4 million dollar. But the crowd kept funding and now they are able to make the 85+ million dollar version. Whether you believe that that version was always designed for is up to you.

14. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 11:10 Zor

Wildone wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:53:
Yes that was the original pitch at some point, then the german fan boys took over and wanted it to be 'everything in space' and have the ships be able to do 'everything in space' and so what you see here is a monumental spectacular failure. All the 'systems' they demand to be in each ship make it so complex and bloated they have completely lost sight of the core gameplay (which still sucks currently) and thus this debacle will go on for maybe a year longer, when people realize they still cant fly their $999 virtual spaceship with all the bells and whistles on it not workin, in a barely running small skybox..things gonna blow baby! Just watch..

harlock wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 10:03:
i thought this was a space sim
Depending on the success or failure of what they will demo at GamesCon, you *MAY* have to eat those words

I'm really hoping they blow us away with their work on multicrew and large world so that your points about $999 ships and small skyboxes are addressed. The demo is reportedly going to include their sub-light "supercruise" Quantum Drive travel as well, so this shit may actually start to look like a space game in the vastness of space and not a Sim Pod.

Chris Roberts always said that he wanted this game to be a truly first person experience at all levels, but it's too easy to ignore or reject that point so that people can continue to bitch about scope creep or that the game isn't what they originally planned or advertised. They always had enormous designs for the game provided the money and time was there to realize it. If they are guilty of anything it's being ambitious with their release dates. Being ambitious with the scope is a fantastic thing in this age of stagnating development and status quo games.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 17, 2015, 09:17 Zor

"Man arrested after filming fatal crash from inside car."

I hope karma catches up quickly with that asshole. Disgusting.

News Comments > Op Ed

4. Re: Op Ed Jul 14, 2015, 09:57 Zor

What gets me, in the Related Note article, is all the listed demands for "TRUE" information and for them to "ADMIT" one wrong doing or another.

These are the kinds of demands that can't be satisfied at all even when answered truthfully unless it's with exactly what the person demanding wants to hear. So what's the point? The writer of those demands knows that when they wrote them.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC

3. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Split Screen on PC Jul 14, 2015, 09:25 Zor

Poor Y-Wing gettin no love.

I do hope they add space content as DLC or via content patch or whatever, but, I don't know how excited for it I'll be until I can actually try it out.

If it's as ho-hum as I felt about Galactic Starfighter in SWTOR then I will pass..

News Comments > Op Ed

14. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2015, 13:00 Zor

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 11:44:
Man those links in the comments section are weak ass sauce.

The little teaser video, (Van Gundy Voice) "Are you kidding me?", my kid can do that at a week long tech-arts camp. And then gifs of different sights, big whoop-ti-doo!!!

And then things written like this:
"There are fundamental differences between Star Citizen and other traditional shooters in the way we keep our 1st person and 3rd person models and camera in sync. Going into why we are in this state is a much longer topic for another day."

No today's the day, you again are saying something but saying nothing at the same exact time.

Read the blog and with this massive team they are pussy footing around FPS basics like a small group of amateurs.

There is your S.C. lighter fluid response of the day.
actually they did get into great detail about their camera and animation concepts for FPS at the January Town Hall. It is quite a lot to go over, so it's understandable he left it out in a short update post.

News Comments > Op Ed

13. Re: Op Ed Jul 11, 2015, 12:58 Zor

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 12:03:
Task wrote on Jul 11, 2015, 11:47:
Found this as well in their comments. Example development time comparison of other MMOs (I wonder if ESO fans were mad about that 7 year wait). Anyways, I'll leave ya'll to your discussion - time to go play Witcher 3.

The big question is: Why has no one ever shown that image to Christ Roberts? Why does he keep coming up with totally unrealistic dates?

Because: Let us not shift the blame. The community is getting impatient because CIG keep missing THEIR OWN target dates that they voluntarily publicize to the fans. It was Christ Roberts who claimed live on stage last year that we'd play the FPS module by March, not the community. Do. Not. Shift. Blame. The unrealistic expectations are 100% a CIG self-made issue.
100% correct. I will never understand why they keep caving to pressure to give dates when this is such uncharted territory in game design challenges. They're up to their neck in difficult shit that hasn't been attempted before at this level of detail.

News Comments > CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns

136. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 10, 2015, 12:21 Zor

Tumbler wrote on Jul 10, 2015, 11:48:
Someone posted this chart that I think is very relevant.

https://i.imgur.com/flrVzR9.png

Does anyone have info that these development times aren't accurate? Considering how much time it takes to make those games I don't know if the project is doomed based on how long they've had. I don't think they'll have the PU up next year though but the whole project failing? Not likely.

I actually think that time on WoW's development looks pretty conservative. 5-7 years is what I've read before. 5 years specifically before it was ever revealed to the public and another 2 before it was launched. That information is something that the vocal minority doesn't want anyone to pay attention to while they rant and rave about how long SC is taking to make. It doesn't play nice with all the misinformation and claims of lies.

As far as the engine technology goes, yes I would agree that morphing and re-engineering what they have into something that can actually achieve what they need it to do will be a turning-point moment in developmental history if they pull it off. I do honestly believe they can, however, since their only limiting factor at this point is money. Time they have, money... they have for now. It doesn't matter how impatient people get, the fact is the pledges and support have gone towards them making the game they want to make at their pace. That's what the crowd signed up for even if they weren't all paying attention to that disclaimer.

75. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 16:58 Zor

DangerDog wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 16:37:
However, if you look at what's been made for No Mans Sky and it seems like you can have seamless first person planet to space gaming. I wonder how much of it is that they're trying to mod CryEngine into something that is beyond they're abilities - or perhaps the ability of CryEngine flat out.
Yep I think it's fairly evident now that they bit off more than they could originally chew with regards to the overhaul CryEngine needs to do the job. Thus all the original Crytek engineers they now have on staff tackling these major limitations. However they did tell us that they heavily curated every available engine out there at the time and ultimately decided that CE was the best candidate based on their requirements.

It probably isn't going to look much like CryEngine when they're done with it. It'll be interesting to see what Crytek may end up doing with the "CIG Edition" of their engine after it's all said and done, lol.

61. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 14:01 Zor

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 13:52:
NetHead wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 13:32:
If Star Citizen is not the current poster child for "feature creep" I don't know what is. I can' think of anything that comes remotely close to being long past its original release date with so much more continually being added which in turn pushed any release further back.

So I completely agree with the sentiment that if they can't even realistically address this in a statement, instead simply calling it false, it's very hard to take anything they say as either sincere or factual.

I don't know how much they have to show at this point, for example Squadron 42 which is ages past the release date. By "show" I also don't mean just some youtube video which is useless for showing progress, I mean more along the line of at the least being a playable demo to show how close it is to completion at this overdue point. What is causing such a massive delay? Because if it isn't feature creep it's something far more serious and worrying.

Have they actually been adding new features? I haven't been paying gobs of attention, but it seems like most of the big features were all mentioned during the Kickstarter/initial funding.

See, that's just it. It's really hard to know what could be feature creep from all the stretch goals because all said goals are supposedly things they had originally in mind for the game provided they had the funding to do it. Without having any access to original design documentation detailing the entire scope of what they wanted to do, we don't know what features they're working on that weren't thought of before the Kickstarter. However I'm not considering all the stuff they've decided to "R&D" during development as a result of the nature of iterative software design. Obviously this would organically lead to "new" features that may or may not have been thought of in the past. Their tolerance to allow time/resources to be spent on those types of features is the thing that's largely providing fuel for the fire. I'm speaking only to the documented stretch goals on their website.

59. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 13:54 Zor

another tidbit from the report--this is the first clue I've seen yet as to what they are planning for the GamesCom demo..
The systems designers have been finalising the specification for the “multi-functional displays” in the cockpits so that the functionality can be extended across all ships and is totally scalable from single-man ships up to larger capital ships. This is another one of our urgent tasks needed for GamesCom and will hopefully be shown in more detail very soon.

54. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 13:45 Zor

Instead of click-bait, page-view inducing posts about something someone said on the RSI forum that no one is going to believe even IF any of it is true and is just yet-another bash-SC witch hunt thread, why not post about something that's actually interesting? Such as this bit from the Foundry 42 engineering team in the June monthly report (which I'm sure everyone in the comments has bothered to read):

Our new artist is currently working on look-dev’ of the ship manufacturers, in parallel with this the ship UI code is undergoing lots of planning work so it can deal with multi-crew ships and all the challenges that throws our way, such as a captain being able to delegate (or lock out) various controls to the co-pilot or turret gunner. Planning is also underway to allow players to be able to customize their display outputs in their cockpits, giving them the ability to transfer various output to different displays. All of this planning is because, to support the functionality we require, the underlying structure that the UI code sits upon is going to need a bit of a refactor. We’ve already taken a lot of the hard coded setup of the UI and made it much more data driven (using our DataForge tool), but also were changing it to make it much more flexible, so any part of the HUD can be attached to anything else in the game that can take UI. So all of a sudden moving the radar from your visor and onto one of your cockpit displays becomes easy. This is going to be awesome!

Sure, it may never work out and never see the light of day, yadda yadda, but it's a neat concept that someone there is reportedly working on...

49. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 13:32 Zor

Wildone wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 13:26:
'teh internets' wont make them fail, THEY will make them fail and they seem to need no help the way they go aboot things..

You pretty much just commented on what you wanted me to say, instead of what I actually said.

45. Re: CIG Refutes Star Citizen Concerns Jul 9, 2015, 13:22 Zor

harlock wrote on Jul 9, 2015, 11:54:
the fact they are even addressing these "concerns" in the first place is really all you need to know
They are damned if they don't and damned if they do. I'm glad the internet has so much fun waiting on either to happen so they it can have circle jerk parties in the comments like this.

179 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >