Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Brooks

Real Name Brooks   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 22, 1999, 05:01
Total Comments 179 (Novice)
User ID 404

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > BATTLETECH Kickstarter

28. Re: BATTLETECH Kickstarter Sep 29, 2015, 18:00 Zor

ugh.

Why couldn't the base game be a PVP skirmish with mission designer? A single player game should come after that as a stretch goal considering what the source material is.

The original tabletop game is a multiplayer experience, not single player.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Interviews

23. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 4, 2015, 12:30 Zor

LurkerLito wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 09:44:
Task wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 09:01:
Citation please, otherwise this is hearsay. Plenty of space games being made, plenty of crowdfunds still succeeding regardless of SC.
The point is that SC has a big impact because it is one of the largest most successful at fund raising and is a poster child for the model that gets mentioned in mainstream magazines like Forbes. No one can truly know what it may or may not do to the crowdfunding model if it fails. The one thing that can be certain is if a well known name like Chris Roberts, who people see as experienced and should know enough about making games can gather all this money and can't make a "good" game that gets accolades, but instead release a buggy pile of crap then goes off to bankruptcy, then this project will become the poster child reason for not supporting crowdfunding and it will be picked up by mainstream media. That will most likely hurt all future crowdfunded projects.
If only more commenters here could articulate themselves this well while also keeping their cool and not resorting to pointless insults and illogical, emotional assertions... good post, Lito.

27. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 10:28 Zor

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 08:00:
I completely agree. It is pretty clear that Roberts is just trying to completely appeal to the mainstream CoD, BF and CSGO demographic now.

Precisely the opposite, as you then point out yourself the goals they have to make it a much more tactical gameplay experience:
And we're going to have to wait&see on the promised depth and complexity with regard to more "tactical" gameplay.
But then you dismiss the whole notion of the logic of going that route at all? I don't get it.. do you want tactical or don't you? You seem to not want CoD but you also don't want them to take a chance at doing something you're not sure you'd like?:
I have serious doubts about the practical use of the suggested features like e.g. dragging a wounded team member to a safe spot. Who the fuck does that in multiplayer FPS? Right. No one.
Everyone takes care of themselves and why expose yourself and make yourself extra vulnerable to enemy fire by helping a team member if your time is much better spent on the offensive or defensive trying to find cover?
The only reason people heal others in BF is because it gives you upgrade points and not because of some tactical advantage. Heck, depending on the situation, the other guy might actually be much better off respawning on their squad leader than getting a heal/rez.
After all that, it sounds like you're not wanting anything outside the BF/CoD box.. make up your mind.

Roberts really sucks at game design that has nothing to do with the single player space parts. It is becoming increasingly clear that he has been out of the loop for a long time and that he has both, poor taste and poor experience with regard to competitive online play.
Well, at least you're consistent here in your opinion, even if it's a contradiction the beginning of your post.

26. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 6, 2015, 10:19 Zor

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 00:10:
Do we have more info on the FPS? I think from what I've seen so far, my main disappointment is: spaceships have pew-pew lasers, but the FPS has regular bullet guns. I'd much prefer even more futuristic weapons, even while the setting and zero-G stuff looked cool.
Ton's of info has been released on Star Marine in multiple posts on the site, yes.

The weapon selection has been touched on a lot, actually, and is not restricted to ballistics. I think there's even an energy based shotgun. That doesn't even go into the wacky gadgets and grenades. One of the most basic sidearms is a laser pistol, in fact.

17. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 22:50 Zor

blah blah blah, they're taking too long so it's being done wrong and none of them have talent and it's all a scam and blah blah I'm impatient I don't want more I want less and quicker and I have noooooooooothing else to do with all my time but scream through my keyboard at the internet that game development I can actually take part of is a horrible and unexpectedly lengthy pile of crap I wish I had never touched blah blah...

Meanwhile, the actual takeaway from that article was this:
"We've seen what they've got coming up and you won't want to miss it."

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced

26. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 15:45 Zor

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 15:41:
So much hate
I'm just amused it's not exclusive.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Announced

20. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 14:59 Zor

Infocom Presents... The Crescent Hawks REVENGE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDL9iZop5LY

15. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 12:27 Zor

Ah ok, that makes sense and explains a lot. I lost touch with what became of Smith&Tinker when MWO took the stage.

Gives me hope that if this proves successful maybe we still could see a good singleplayer MW game in the future.

6. Re: BATTLETECH Announced Jul 29, 2015, 11:25 Zor

is Weisman no longer (or was he really ever?) associated with Piranha Games and MWO?

I really wish they would just make the dang Mechwarrior game they teased in 2009 =/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5LP4hJu9k

I love the board game so I'm interested in this, especially if they give it some good multiplayer options and scenario creation tools.

News Comments > On Star Citizen "Feature Creep" and More

24. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 12:19 Zor

harlock wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:15:
Zor wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:08:
Wow. Literally everything you say on this website is nonconstructive flame bait.

yep literally everything. perfect powers of observation, as demonstrated in all your posts

you are literally perfect
You're right, I should have just said most. Sometimes I'm hasty.

21. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 12:08 Zor

harlock wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 12:03:
BadIronTree wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 11:31:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 10:18:
These damage control statements and videos are actually more worrying than the people causing them.

Soon trolls will ask for CIG to stop giving free coffee to the programmers because "it's their money"

and soon you'll actually grow hair on your balls! wont that be an exciting day for you! you'll be all grown up
Wow. Literally everything you say on this website is nonconstructive flame bait. Why do you even comment if for no other reason than to be nasty, rude, disrespectful, hateful, arrogant, and disgusting towards other people here?

God, why have I even engaged you... all you're going to do is insult me.

20. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 12:05 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 11:59:
The people who back Chris no matter what he says are completely irrelevant. It's to those of us who backed AND don't believe him anymore that Chris has to prove himself. We're way past words now. Words mean nothing.
How can he prove himself if you're not willing to believe what he says or be patient enough for them to develop the game? Your stance is such that everyone at CIG is guilty until they prove innocence by releasing a finished product. I mean, that's fine and you're entitled to feel that way, but you've got a long wait ahead of you.

Maybe their demo in August will cool your embers a little bit if it goes well?

17. Re: On Star Citizen Jul 21, 2015, 12:01 Zor

panbient wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 11:50:
BadIronTree wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 11:31:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 10:18:
These damage control statements and videos are actually more worrying than the people causing them.

Soon trolls will ask for CIG to stop giving free coffee to the programmers because "it's their money"

All depends on how many other people are dealing with the camera work / video editing that has to happen to produce one of these clips. Then the costs involved with having (likely) high salaried individuals sitting in front of a camera for the perception of 'openness'. You're fooling yourself if you honestly think that clip is being open and isn't carefully structured to reinforce a specific narrative. I understand the community wanted it this way, that's fine, doesn't mean I (and likely many others) will ever think it's an efficient use of resources.

Free coffee for the people who are actually working towards finishing the product? No one in their right mind will ever complain. Spending any amount of resources to make a video about it though? Yeah that's a totally valid complaint.
the video productions are made using subscriber dollars and not development funds. That's been well documented.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month

144. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 21, 2015, 10:25 Zor

InBlack wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 09:48:
Zor wrote on Jul 21, 2015, 09:39:
loomy wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 16:31:
chris roberts should admit that his estimates are shit, but he can't because he's a narcissist. that said, if ANYONE tried to make this game it'd take 5-10 years. so criticizing him for not being done before he's done is ignorant.

every project is a clusterfuck of delays, and the only difference here is that they're telling you about it
lol, great post.

In the words of the immortal Chris Roberts himself. BULLSHIT!

Had they said, its coming when its coming then fine I would be the first to smack down the naysayers. However this is not exactly what happened is it? They kept promising dates, hyping their shit is just around the corner, and selling yes selling, pixel art. So either CR is dishonest, or he is incompetent. Neither which is good for this project.
So it doesn't matter if they give a date and at the same time say that date could change? You only listen to the part about the date and not the part about it possibly (or in some cases likely) changing? Don't you think a lot more people would be upset and skeptical if they just said "it's done when it's done" or words to that effect?

There are people who understand that it can take a year to make a game, and it can take 10 years to make a game and neither scenarios are necessarily good are bad, they just are what they are. You either have the patience for it or you don't.

Then there are people who don't care what history teaches them. They read what they want to read without putting their own thought behind it to filter out the improbable or give margin for error to mitigate disappointment and accept how things can change.

139. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 21, 2015, 09:39 Zor

loomy wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 16:31:
chris roberts should admit that his estimates are shit, but he can't because he's a narcissist. that said, if ANYONE tried to make this game it'd take 5-10 years. so criticizing him for not being done before he's done is ignorant.

every project is a clusterfuck of delays, and the only difference here is that they're telling you about it
lol, great post.

137. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 21, 2015, 09:31 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:45:
theyarecomingforyou, zor I'm going to ask both of you two very important questions. When did you back and for how much?

I backed for $930 since 1/2013 (Veteran backer status).
Not sure why this important but whatever. I first backed 11/14/2012, and I've spent $716.43

136. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 21, 2015, 09:13 Zor

InBlack wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:46:
So if it's an integral part of SC as CR claims, then where the fuck is it????? Why was it delayed indefinitely a few weeks ago, only to be announced as IMMINENT as in ready for public test realm in 4-5 weeks??? If its so damn important, why was it not developed first and foremost? Why wasn't it released before anything else?
Watch the interview in this article? He talks about just how long they've been working on the module.

133. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 21, 2015, 09:10 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:34:
Kajetan wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:16:
LurkerLito wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:06:
And you obviously don't know a thing about games. Star Marine is a FPS (S as in Shooter, call of duty BS) it has nothing to do with the original game. First person trading, sure walking around your ship yes, but shooter NO! Stop trying to add extra words in there that don't exist.
Just effin finally read the Kickstarter page and the details of the stretch goals on the RSI website. 3.5 million => Boarding in First Person style with action and shooting.

Stretch goals on RSI's website are irrelevant to the original goals stated on the KickStarter page. There's no mention of ship boarding as a feature on the KickStarter page. It was an out of scope item ADDED to Star Citizen AFTER the Kickstarter funding had been reached in order keep reaching "new stretch goals". In other words A 3.5 million stretch goal was just as bad as the 16 million stretch goal, 20 million stretch goal, 28 million stretch goal, 36 million stretch goal, 43 million stretch goal, 57 million stretch goal... etc etc. NONE of these should even exist. All we want was a Wing Commander / Privateer / Freelancer game with modern graphics. Chris wasn't content with delivering this, but he didn't tell his vision truthfully.
lol, ok... You fail to accept the truth because you don't like it. You fail to realize that what you pledged for was not what you wanted them to make, but what CIG wants to make, and you fail to realize that CIG had a larger scope for the game planned out prior to the KS. You failed over and over to really pay any attention to what this project was, and now you're mad, but not at yourself. And you only have yourself to blame.

Other than the notion that you just absolutely love to trash talk and make shit up about Star Citizen because you're so pissed off I don't understand why you don't just sell your shit on the black market or get a refund and move on with your life. Maybe being sensational and pissed off is what makes you happy inside, idk. That seems to be the case with a lot of commenters here.

67. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:31 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:25:
LurkerLito wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:06:
Zor wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 13:04:
You're funny. You already answered your own question. I put it in bold and underlined it for you.

the FP in FPS stands for First Person, in case you forgot.

And you obviously don't know a thing about games. Star Marine is a FPS (S as in Shooter, call of duty BS) it has nothing to do with the original game. First person trading, sure walking around your ship yes, but shooter NO! Stop trying to add extra words in there that don't exist.

This! In the original Kickstarter pitch video Chris NEVER once mentioned or even hinted at ANY kind of first person combat. It was ALWAYS going to be space combat. FPS only became a thing as the 20 million stretch perk. It wasn't even part of the pitched game. I should have started requesting my refund back when the 20 million stretch goal was revealed.
Do you remember how the video portrayed the player in a first person perspective? FPS, for Star Citizen, is not just "Shooting" even though it is constantly and over-generally referred to as "FPS"

66. Re: Star Citizen FPS May Come Next Month Jul 20, 2015, 15:29 Zor

LurkerLito wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 15:22:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 14:39:
The vast majority of funding was raised AFTER the inclusion of FPS. Those backers knew what they were getting, whilst early backers get more for no extra cost. What it comes down to is that the game is delayed. And you know what... that's pretty damned common for a project of this scale. Nobody likes delays but people have to be reasonable and accept that they happen. It was promised as a cutting edge PC game to show off the platform and that's absolutely what it's going to be, now more so than ever.
So those people are the cause for the delay to the detriment of the early backers. See that is the problem. CIG had an obligation to fulfill the kickstarter goals. Once he added to them like with the FPS module then he completely changed the goals that were agreed upon with the original backers. Since he could no longer fulfill those he absolutely should have made concessions to all early backers that they would refund their money IF THEY WANTED.

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 20, 2015, 14:39:
Stop being ridiculous. Adding or improving upon features isn't 'bait and switch'.
Yes it is bait and switch if the original goals and time lines were greatly exceeded to the point that the original could not be delivered as promised. At that point they have broken the agreement for the money they accepted. Since that is the case they need to refund anyone in the early kickstarter WHO REQUESTS it. This is no different than if someone ordered some food in a resturant then it came to their table with peanuts on top added. The buyer has the right to send it back or not pay for it because it's not what he ordered (especially if they have a peanut allergy). CIG got the money, for the features listed on the kickstarter page. It doesn't matter if he got more money from the backers afterwards for more features like the FPS module, the original backers did not ask for it nor were they given the option to back out because of it. If they are holding the money now after a backer requested a refund, they baited them with one set of features and switched out what they were going to get and increased development time. No matter how you look at it, they baited and switched from the original backers and that constitutes fraud.
What you're really upset with is crowd funding in general and your decision to be involved in it. CIG, and anyone else who runs a crowd funding campaign, has every right to run stretch goals during that campaign. If you were no longer happy with the project based on stretch goals that happened during the KS, why did you stay in? (I'm assuming you did, otherwise I imagine you wouldn't bother with the rant)

179 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >