Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Brooks

Real Name Brooks   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Zor
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Aug 22, 1999, 05:01
Total Comments 179 (Novice)
User ID 404

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access

140. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 17:56 Zor

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 16:25:
I would rather have had that extra $5M be spent on developing 20 or 30 extra systems for the persistent universe than on name actors. Or extending the story another 20 or 30 missions. Or a bunch of extra ships and weapons. Or some extra gameplay mechanics. It's a GAME after all, not a movie.
Making movie-like experiences is exactly what CR was going for with the WC series. Having a good cast of movie actors was also a stretch goal. It's fine you don't care for it and would rather have more of what you stated, but it should come as no surprise that CR would want to do that stuff as it's all part of his story telling history and style. And also a stretch goal they have to fulfill.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

133. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 11:03 Zor

I wouldn't rule it out, but who knows. Andy seems pretty geeky so I'm sure he was excited about doing it but he does have employees to pay.  

131. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 15, 2015, 10:02 Zor

Slashman wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 09:53:
IF anyone is interested for some actual valid input on the casting: I talked to a developer recently and he basically said that most of the Hollywood star types will do game voice-over work for a lark.

So it is highly unlikely that the casting cost a huge amount. Not trivial, but not crippling either.

I have no idea how much a MOCAP studio costs to build and run though.
This. As far as the studio goes, they were doing work at Portalarium(sp?) which was already an established studio(by Andy Serkis). They did build their own somewhere a year ago I think and used it for some of their commercials, but IDK if it was put to use for SQ42 stuff yet.

82. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 16:45 Zor

Actors are known to do creative projects for small payouts due to favors/friendships/courtesy/etc. I honestly think it's not outside the realm of possibility that some of them would agree to less of a paycheck than they normally would. I would hazard that Mark Hamill and John Rhys-Davies would cut him some slack and that guy Jack Huston referred to CR as a friend in a video interview. Plus with them using local talent they cut down costs of housing/travel/etc. I obviously don't know where they live but given their nationality it's possible Oldman and Strong live in the UK? Idk.

Anyway, without actually knowing how much performance/vo capture each actor did individually and what they might be contracted for in the future for more content and pickups/re-recordings etc we can't really make much of an educated guess on what they all cost the project.

If you really wanted to know I guess you could start asking their managers, but good luck.

Alas, I feel it's kinda tactless to sit and debate what all these actors are worth. Value on talent is too subjective.

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed

179. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 15:51 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:40:
I never supported the stretch goals after 15 million and only started vocalizing my objection to them at 20 million. I do believe my respond to the continued stretch goals past 20 million was "Chris. What are you doing? Chris. STAHP!" I wanted the funding to stop at 20 million because that's what Chris said he needed to make the game. I thought okay stop the funding and let Chris make the game. my voice was drowned in a sea of rabid backers.

Aye, it was. Again, they are guilty indeed of offering those stretch goals beyond 20 mil. But again, the crowd funded them. Do you see you've come full circle to the same core issue? "You" didn't want it, but the crowd obviously did. But hey, you got your refund. It's reasonable that you couldn't have foreseen how far the campaign would go, but there was never anything in writing that said it had to stop at 20mil. It's on you and you alone to have realized that before you pledged.

176. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 15:45 Zor

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:39:
Zor, you banging you head for no reason. It's a lost cause.
Meh, it's something to do between playoff innings

Besides, I'm keeping it calm and non-combative imo.

172. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 15:38 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:33:
Zor wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:21:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:01:
Those "several different" sources were verified and vetted by Escapist's legal department, and by all accounts most of the gaming media agrees that The Escapist did legitimate investigate journalism. So please stop with the spin. This site is not a mouth piece for CIG and it never will.
And their names and positions within the company are/were...?

Sorry, still anonymous until exposed. But, there have been actual current employees who have come out publicly to refute that information as well as attest to why such knowledge would not even be known by "several different" sources. I consider myself one of "several" employees at the private company I work for and I absolutely do not and would not have that kind of fiscal information. What makes you think random artist/animator/coder/QA tester/customer service rep/IT guy/designer/writer/etc at CIG would be privy to it either? I logically assume, without evidence to the contrary, that they--as do most private companies--keep that kind of information on a need to know basis.

If one or more of the executives at CIG goes on record about their cash status, or one or more of these "sources" is revealed to be in that executive camp, then that will be news.

You forget 2 of the 9 sources were current employees and as the Escapist's reports, "their responses reiterated claims by the other seven"

So it doesn't matter. The reason I quoted the Escapists was so that you would see that it's not just myself and Derek who is saying this but this is coming from fully vetted and verified sources. Sources most of the media believes to be legitimate just like any other anonymous sources used in investigate journalism.
What matters is the bit of logic you seem to be ignoring. Those people wouldn't know that information they claim to know.

169. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 15:24 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 13:37:
Dude. Every single crowdfunding project from the 2012/2013 era has either been released or is in a much more advanced state of development than Star Citizen.

That's the narration CR has decided to go with. "It's not my fault. The Backers' wanted these things." Backers should be pissed off for being the scapegoat for Chris' failure to deliver on his promises. Instead you drink up that lie and then regurgitate it back out... and proudly I might add. Chris Roberts is literally saying it's YOUR, the backers, fault and you're totally happy with that.

What a crazy world.
They are certainly guilty for offering stretch goals but the crowd funded them. If the crowd shared your opinion, it wouldn't have funded those goals.

167. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 15:21 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 15:01:
Those "several different" sources were verified and vetted by Escapist's legal department, and by all accounts most of the gaming media agrees that The Escapist did legitimate investigate journalism. So please stop with the spin. This site is not a mouth piece for CIG and it never will.
And their names and positions within the company are/were...?

Sorry, still anonymous until exposed. But, there have been actual current employees who have come out publicly to refute that information as well as attest to why such knowledge would not even be known by "several different" sources. I consider myself one of "several" employees at the private company I work for and I absolutely do not and would not have that kind of fiscal information. What makes you think random artist/animator/coder/QA tester/customer service rep/IT guy/designer/writer/etc at CIG would be privy to it either? I logically assume, without evidence to the contrary, that they--as do most private companies--keep that kind of information on a need to know basis.

If one or more of the executives at CIG goes on record about their cash status, or one or more of these "sources" is revealed to be in that executive camp, then that will be news.

161. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 14:41 Zor

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 14:32:
Zor wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 14:26:
Dude. Every single crowdfunding project from the 2012/2013 era has either been released or is in a much more advanced state of development than Star Citizen.

I'll admit, I stopped reading at this point. And I disagree. You're completely ignoring the fact that Star Citizen is unequivocally unlike any other crowdfunding project of 2012/2013 with the exception of also being a "video game." It is without merit to compare an apple to an orange to suit your argument. That's not even taking into account the iterative nature of software development which, from title to title, will never happen the same way twice, not even from the same studio.

I think the point you are missing is complete absence of any fiscal and management control in this project. They seem to focus on bling rather than any substance. This announcement just reinforces that fact. If you are an investor, you can't be thrilled with the way they are throwing money around. That alone has canceled many software projects before completion.
There is also a complete absence of evidence to support any of the claims you just made. But let's look at it anyway. On one hand you have the executive team of CIG telling everyone that they are fiscally sound and in great shape. On the other you have still-anonymous "sources" telling people that they aren't. I can't tell you who to believe, but it's obvious you are listening to what you want to hear. I believe the proof is in the pudding: CIG is hiring and they are communicating progress. That, to me, doesn't seem like the behavior of a company that is running out of money.

156. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 14:26 Zor

I'll admit, I stopped reading at this point. And I disagree. You're completely ignoring the fact that Star Citizen is unequivocally unlike any other crowdfunding project of 2012/2013 with the exception of also being a "video game." It is without merit to compare an apple to an orange to suit your argument. That's not even taking into account the iterative nature of software development which, from title to title, will never happen the same way twice, not even from the same studio.

139. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 13:02 Zor

Cutter wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 10:47:
See, wrong again. It's attacked precisely because of the lack of actual content. Years of talk, talk, talk, and no content. Sales of potential virtual items...no actual content. See how that works?

If I may ask... exactly what content are they not showing that you are expecting to see at this stage in development? Against what other similar project with regards to scope, company inception & growth, and budget would you be comparing this to? Just curious.

I'm going to assume you're going to take all variables of this project into consideration: Such as the size of the company as it's grown over the years as they started from scratch. The challenge of creating the game from an existing engine which is unfortunately requiring wild levels of reverse engineering and conversion (as opposed to the potentially smarter and potentially longer course of developing their own engine from scratch). The significant work of creating tools and design pipelines. The self imposed challenges of communicating and collaborating between a global development structure(which was done, as they said, to entice talent without asking them to relocate). The backlog of work that awaits new employees they are still looking to hire. The very obvious fact that the crowd poured way more money into this than they could have ever imagined by knocking out stretch goal after stretch goal (each one requiring significant development time). There are probably a few things I missed.

Certainly there is a lack of content at this point, but if I'm not wrong, it is fairly par for the course. You have to create the tools, the tech, the foundation, and infrastructure before you fill the canvas with content, right? I think they're showing pretty good progress this year on that front.

123. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 09:16 Zor

Blue wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 08:35:
NasWulf wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 08:13:
I just hope blue stops with the click bait sensationalist re-posting of this crap and moves on. Chances are low as i'm sure this gets him good ad revenue.

If you deem "Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed" as clickbait then I can only assume you feel the only way to cover this game fairly is by ignoring it entirely.
As someone who was critical of an earlier SC news post, I actually only came in here to thank you for how this bit of news was posted.

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit

91. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 14:11 Zor

nin wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:08:
Desalus wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 13:48:
My guess is that Chris is worried that The Escapist article and any further bad press with decrease the amount of future gamer funding, which means they most likely do not have enough funds to complete the game. To threaten a lawsuit seems like an act of desperation, so the remaining funds must be pretty low (probably close to that stated 8-9 million). All conjecture of course, but I don't see the point of threatening a lawsuit if further funding is not needed.

I gotta agree with that. They're counting on continued income, and don't want anything to jeopardize that.

They're threatening legal action because they have been accused of illegal hiring practices. It has nothing to do with the money.

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship

179. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 16:38 Zor

Drayth wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 16:20:
Base price is actually $350, and yeah I didn't like the way this was reported either. Even $350 is a lot of money thrown to the wind, but the article reads like $900 is what this ship is set at.
Exactly. I wasn't trying to speak to the merit of the price, just the way the news was reported and the lack of full disclosure just to suit the narrative of making fun of Star Citizen and it's backers yet again.

175. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 15:52 Zor

Kosumo wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:35:
Zor wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:09:
Sad to see a post this disingenuous here... of course it would be posted in the most sensational, anti-CIG, anti-SC way possible. *sigh*

Please, feel free to use this comment section to set the record straight, what is it that you found disingenuous about it?
Precisely what I mentioned in my comment after that one. The post stepped right over the fact that the price for the pledge actually starts at $450 for the base ship and has numerous add on options and choices going on up to tha $900 level.

It doesn't matter though people will still take the opportunity to make fun of and gawk at $450 for a pledge option even though countless other KS and crowd funded projects offer similar tiers for intangible un-developed, un-released goods/concepts.

174. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 15:45 Zor

Blue wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:43:
Zor wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:09:
Sad to see a post this disingenuous here... of course it would be posted in the most sensational, anti-CIG, anti-SC way possible. *sigh*

Disingenuous?

You make me want to actually write up a sample of this in a "sensational, anti-CIG, anti-SC way" just so you can see how neutral it actually is.
Yes, because you posted _only_ the part about the top end of the price for this particular pledge. Why you chose to do that is obvious, as getting readers stirred up over SC is what every gaming site with a comments section loves to do these days.

Go ahead though. It just makes these people happier.

But you should also be fair and start doing similar posts about every other crowd funded project and kickstarter that has "eye popping" pledge choices.

Just look at the recent BattleTech KS. $2000? $4000? $10,000?

On second thought, nah. It's not CIG/CR so no body cares, even if its the exact same issue..

173. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 1, 2015, 15:40 Zor

Kxmode wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:29:
Zor wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 17:14:
I just think it's unfair to poke fun at these prices when none of it is being ASKED for

Let's review what Blue wrote and analyze the bits you consider "unfair"

- an eye-popping price tag (this is not an unfair statement)
- described as "a fully modular space platform designed to be adapted for a variety of scientific and medical tasks." (this is a statement of fact)
- which is 15 times the price of the typical AAA game (this is a statement of fact)
- more than enough to buy a gaming PC (this is a statement of fact)

Based on the analysis there is absolutely nothing "unfair" about what Blue wrote. However your brain is simply seeing it as such. This is called Paranoia. Paranoia happens in the part of the brain that handles doubt, which leads us back to Robertson Davies statement: "Fanaticism is overcompensation for doubt."

So you're doubting the project. You can be honest here. Nobody is going to call you a Hater. Doubt (Skeptic) is the first stage on the road towards Blackknightery.
I said unfair to make the statements, I never said his statements themselves were unfair or untruthful, so don't put words in my mouth. And I certainly wouldn't call myself a fanatic. I have expressed my own doubts and frustrations about this project, I just don't do so at the same level as others so I guess that means I'm not a club member.

110. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 17:14 Zor

Blue wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 09:09:
nin wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 09:03:
You're enjoying this, aren't you, Blue?

I guess I understand how you could think that being appealing for clickbait and such, but it's really the opposite. I loved the first two Wing Commander games so much that I would love a modernized version of them. Also, I think if this project collapses on itself as some think, it will be a blow to PC gaming in general, space sims in particular, and could poison the waters for future large-scale projects on Kickstarter.
then why not present this article with the full scale of the pricing options? It's not even the most expensive pledge ship they've offered, either. The Idris blows that away handily...

Idk, I just think it's unfair to poke fun at these prices when none of it is being ASKED for--it's all optional and all simply ways to allow the crowd to keep providing developmental funding the same way a publisher would keep sending a development studio money to keep operating.

107. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 17:09 Zor

179 Comments. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >