190 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ] Older

Re: Valve > id
Aug 5, 2007, 17:23
JD
Re: Valve > id Aug 5, 2007, 17:23
Aug 5, 2007, 17:23
JD

What part of, the average joe isn't going to know how or care about any of that, do you not follow? I know people that play games but barely know how to install the game themselves
The whole thing I do not follow because it is moot. The average five-year-old Windows game on physical media is not any harder to install on Windows XP than the average recent retail release. Complexity of installation is NOT a valid reason why older games cannot still be sold.

WTF are we talking about here? Not "plenty of older windows games". Here you go again as usual, trying to make shit up to back up your twisted opinions. We are talking about id's old back catalog running in a DosBox on Steam.

There you go again not actually reading what I write or understanding what you read. Think before you hit the "reply" button for once. I was NOT referring to id's DOS games on Steam. What I wrote was "I agree that older games should be a lot easier to find. The industry as a whole does a terrible job of making its older titles available for sale at retail and keeping them available as compared to the movie and music industries." I was NOT talking about DOS games or even specifically id's games.

These games that if bought in a shareware bin at Walmart would require the user to know how to run DOS and use DOS commands
READ WHAT I ACTUALLY WROTE! I am NOT talking about DOS games. There are plenty of older Windows-based games which could and should be sold at retail which are no harder to install nor less compatible than new releases. In addition, since you keep harping on id's releases on Steam, five or six years ago Activision offered the "Doom Collector's Edition" retail release which included Windows-based version of all of id's Doom games. No DOS is required, and they are fully compatible and easily installed on Windows XP. That release could just as easily be sold today and should be. It's what the release on Steam should be.

Valve does not choose what games publishers are going to put on Steam.
Nor did I say it did. Read what I actually wrote. What I am rightfully complaining about is the fact that some games on Steam (including id's) do not include all of the content found in the retail release of the game nor do they include the necessary codes to play online. And, some of that responsibility falls on Valve because it knows the technical restrictions of its Steam system, and it has to provide support for the games on it. So, when a customer complains about missing content and non-working multiplayer functionality, Valve has to address it.

They provide support for Steam, not for the games. You still have to go to the proper developer/publisher to get game support.
I haven't purchased any third-party games from Steam, but publishers such as Activision and Vivendi don't directly support their titles distributed from other digital distributors like Direct2Drive and Trygames.com. I doubt Steam is any different in that regard. Valve is still the first line of technical support for third-party games on Steam.

I never said it wasn't important. In some games I will keep it on.
hahahahahaha! Of course you did because if it were important to you, you would not turn it off 99% of the time.

If the music is that important to you, then you will put in the extra effort to seek out that cd.
The point is that those who buy Quake or any game on Steam shouldn't get some bastardized and encumbered version of the game. They paid for the game so they should get the full experience. Otherwise they might as well just download an illegal copy which has no such restrictions.

I'd rather do online authentication than put a CD in the drive that doesn't need to be there with the motor spinning up and down all the time.
The point is that neither one is preferable or necessary. But, at least with physical copy-protection, customers are still able to play their game even if the publisher decides to stop offering it or supporting it.

It's an opinion and everyone else here is welcome to their own and don't need to be blasted by you about it
Oh the hypocrisy with you never stops. To you everyone is welcome to YOUR own opinion or else you nag them to death about their criticism of Valve or Steam. If you were so tolerant of differing opinions, you would just shut the fuck up when others criticize Valve or Steam, but you never do.

your overblown conspiracy theories over Valve and Steam?
There you go again. You can't refute what I actually write, so you falsely label and exaggerate it. Complaining that the games on Steam are needlessly encumbered by DRM, are generally too expensive, and don't contain the full contents of their retail versions is no conspiracy theory. It's simply true.

Like most ignorant people here, you assume every poster lives in United States.
NO, I do NOT assume that every poster here lives in the U.S. But, I bet the majority of those purchase games on Steam are from the U.S. especially when you consider that not all of Steam's offerings are available to customers outside of the U.S., and I don't see exlusive releases for regions other than the U.S. on Steam.

I guess you just don't get the best speeds where you are.
I get the best speed offered by the options where I live. But, regardless of the theoretical rating of the speed provided, the actual sustained downstream speed is not going to be as high as the advertised rate. Your notion that the typical Steam customer can download all of id's games in a hour is bullshit. YOU may be fortunate enough for that to be the case, but most aren't.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 17:52.

Re: No subject
Aug 5, 2007, 16:34
JD
Re: No subject Aug 5, 2007, 16:34
Aug 5, 2007, 16:34
JD

It's 2.5 hours
I just downloaded it and damn, you're right. 150 minutes! I usually thought Carmack only spoke about 30 minutes at Quakecon and maybe 30 minutes for Q&A.

but when I chopped the bitrate and frequency
For 150 minutes the filesize is not too bad although the 64kbit rate you used is still a little high. 32kbit/s and 22KHz should have been plenty.

Aug 5, 2007, 15:29
JD
Re: Valve > id Aug 5, 2007, 15:29
Aug 5, 2007, 15:29
JD

I for one think it's fantastic that Steam is becoming an archive of sorts for games that otherwise would be abandonware or simply lost forever.
I would rather see the games preserved properly by being offered completely, inexpensively (every game), and unencumbered by DRM.

Aug 5, 2007, 15:25
JD
Re: Valve > id Aug 5, 2007, 15:25
Aug 5, 2007, 15:25
JD

A lot of these games would not be playable to buy them off the shelf today.
No, most are compatible, and those that are not could be reworked and re-released if needed. However, with the exception of DOS games, most Windows games do remain compatible with at least XP. That is certainly the case with all of the Windows-based id games on Steam. Even id's DOOM95 will run all of the DOS-based DOOM games on XP so no DOSBox is required.

The average person is not going to spend the time to figure out how to get the Dos games to run.
Again the older games I am referring to are NOT DOS games. DOS-based games haven't been the norm since 1996. There are still plenty of older Windows games that are no longer available for sale which will run on currently popular versions of Windows.

Backwards compatibility isn't really a problem with the music and movie industry.
It's also not that big of a problem for the PC game industry if it would stick to older products designed for the 32-bit Windows platform. Right now trying to buy even some one and two year old games at retail can be impossible and compatibility is NOT the reason or an issue with them.

Ok get it through your thick skull...this is not Valve's releases...it is Activision's (in cooperation with id, Raven and Ritual)! Valve is only providing the distribution service, they do not decide what gets released and what doesn't.
Look Valve has to support these releases because they use its Steam software and service so Valve is more than a mere distributor here. Steam is its software, and it is also providing the technical support role. Therefore Valve most certainly does have at least some input on what the content of these releases are.

Plus, I was not just referring to these games from id. Valve's own games on Steam are encumbered and in a few cases not complete compared to its retail releases.

really couldn't give a fuck about the CD audio and music tracks, and I don't think most people do either.
Music most certainly is important in creating the atmosphere of a game. If it weren't, the developers wouldn't waste the time and money on it. If a customer idiot wants to turn it off, that's fine, but it should be the customer's option NOT forced upon him because it was ripped out of the game he bought.

There is that thick skull again, Steam can (and does)
Use your head for something besides being Valve's butt-plug. Every game on Steam is encumbered by Steam's DRM/authentication system. It need not be especially in the case of id games where copy-protection on the retail versions either does not exist or has long been removed, but Valve unreasonably insists on it.

Maybe you just live somewhere where they have slow service.
I get my Internet service from the main provider of telecommunications service in the U.S. The tiers it offers are basically standard across the regions in which it operates. None will download all of those games that quickly.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 15:36.

Re: Milking that old cow
Aug 5, 2007, 15:03
JD
Re: Milking that old cow Aug 5, 2007, 15:03
Aug 5, 2007, 15:03
JD

Ability to play anywhere, without downloading.
Oh, there will be downloading. Like all of the other web-based 3D games before it, the loading will simply be incremental (only the assets used for the current level get downloaded) and be done on demand.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 15:04.

Aug 5, 2007, 15:01
JD
Re: No subject Aug 5, 2007, 15:01
Aug 5, 2007, 15:01
JD

I wonder if Conan is another new account Riley...err...JD made since we put two and two together with Riley & JD.
How smart you are, Sherlock. Everyone who thinks the same is the same person.

No subject
Aug 5, 2007, 14:56
JD
No subject Aug 5, 2007, 14:56
Aug 5, 2007, 14:56
JD

69MB?! Carmack either talked for an awfully long time or whoever encoded it didn't realize that high fidelity isn't needed here. It's just Carmack talking not singing and even if it were singing, I don't think I would want to hear that at a high bit-rate.

Re: Third Party Support?
Aug 5, 2007, 12:09
JD
Re: Third Party Support? Aug 5, 2007, 12:09
Aug 5, 2007, 12:09
JD

I'm curious... now many of these games have DirectPlay support for home LAN gaming?
Most if not all of EA's games also support Internet play via specifying an IP address to directly connect to the host. The problem though is finding players. GameSpy Arcade could offer such lobby/matchmaking services for EA's discontinued games but for some reason it never has even though it does offer lobbies for other publishers/developers' games even when they are not "powered by Gamespy."

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 12:11.

Aug 5, 2007, 11:42
JD
Re: Valve > id Aug 5, 2007, 11:42
Aug 5, 2007, 11:42
JD

JD you keep saying things like "if you can find them". Most people don't go checking every little online distro to see if an old game they want is there. Nor do they dig thru the piles of kiddie crap games looking to see if there is that last copy of some rare game there.
I agree that older games should be a lot easier to find. The industry as a whole does a terrible job of making its older titles available for sale at retail and keeping them available as compared to the movie and music industries.

$63 + tax (roughly $3 per game!)
While the price for the total bundle is not bad on its face, you have to look at what you are actually getting. If Valve was delivering the full contents of the retail releases of those games including CD keys, music tracks, and no requirement to run Steam to run the games, then I would be the first one to say that bundle is a good deal. The problem though is that these releases of the games are inferior to the retail releases of the games. There is no legitimate reason why Steam can't offer the full, unencumbered version of games on its service. It's simply a combination of laziness, greed, and an unreasonable fear of copyright infringement that is stopping it. The game industry in general and Valve in particular is just as bad as the movie and music industries with their online sales in that regard.

and it took me an hour (last night when everyone else was downloading them too) to download and install the entire id software catalog.
You must have one unusually fast internet connection if you downloaded multiple gigabytes of data in only one hour. Most U.S. broadband consumers don't have connections that can do that. I know I don't, and I have the fastest tier of broadband service that is available where I live.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 11:46.

Re: Irresponsible to allow young kids on
Aug 5, 2007, 11:28
JD
Re: Irresponsible to allow young kids on Aug 5, 2007, 11:28
Aug 5, 2007, 11:28
JD

Also, she is an idiot for letting 8 year old kids play Gears of War in the first place, with the graphic chainsaw and head-stomp kills.
I wouldn't draw the line that low when the game is made rated for an adult audience. The mother is exactly the reason why video games are not taken seriously by the masses, retailers, and politicians as an entertainment form for adults. It's pointless to slap an M rating on a game when it's being played by legions of children and teens.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 12:13.

Aug 5, 2007, 11:15
JD
Re: No subject Aug 5, 2007, 11:15
Aug 5, 2007, 11:15
JD

Sooo... it's not like it's out of the blue.
Yes, because it's okay if EA screws customers so long as they are regular about it and put it in fine print on the back of the box.

And, like, it's only a game... again... some perspective needed?
Yes, it's only some games that cost $50 a piece.

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 11:16.

Re: Video Games and Real Violence
Aug 4, 2007, 20:53
JD
Re: Video Games and Real Violence Aug 4, 2007, 20:53
Aug 4, 2007, 20:53
JD

Finally, a voice of actual reason
hahahahaha Oh yeah this mother is real "reasonable." She lets her children play M-rated games and then complains about them being exposed to profanity. If she doesn't want her children exposed to adult language, they shouldn't be playing games made for adults with adults.

Re: Pointless to whine about it
Aug 4, 2007, 20:47
JD
Re: Pointless to whine about it Aug 4, 2007, 20:47
Aug 4, 2007, 20:47
JD

If they want to make online gaming truly something that is popular amongst the masses, they need to start censoring all the crazy idiots
Actually that would have the exact opposite effect. All censorship will do is drive most people away because the very demographic who likes to talk trash is the one which most uses the service.

Oh the hypocrisy!
Aug 4, 2007, 20:41
JD
Oh the hypocrisy! Aug 4, 2007, 20:41
Aug 4, 2007, 20:41
JD

Our role in the multiplayer gaming community is as guardians of children, ages 8 to 14, whose numbers are ever-increasing online.
Let me get this straight. You are whining about your children being exposed to profanity online while playing M-rated games? The very games which themselves usually contain an abundance of profanity. That's like visiting a brothel and complaining about being exposed to sex.

Of course my favorite ironic moment from that mother's ridiculous rant is how she equates the voice communication in XBOX live to a telephone call and later to broadcast television. What the fool should realize is that it is nothing like either of those. The correct comparison would be to the "trash talk" heard at a sports arena.

The bottom line here is don't go into the jungle if you can't stand the animals.

Re: BF2
Aug 4, 2007, 20:29
JD
Re: BF2 Aug 4, 2007, 20:29
Aug 4, 2007, 20:29
JD

Don't you mean BF1942? I don't think they dropped support for it yet.
The Battlefield series is "powered by Gamespy," and aside from the game Apocalyptica I have never seen a Gamespy-integrated game have its online play support dropped after release.

Aug 4, 2007, 20:20
JD
Re: Valve > id Aug 4, 2007, 20:20
Aug 4, 2007, 20:20
JD

Are you in such a rush to act like a jerk that you're going to condemn Valve on something where there's absolutely 0 word on it so far, in barely 12 hours?
Again these are not new games. Valve knew well in advance the games which require CD keys. There is no legitimate excuse for not including them even at the onset. Otherwise customers might as well download illegal copies of the games because they are paying money for what amounts to the same thing.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 20:55.

Aug 4, 2007, 20:17
JD
Re: Valve > id Aug 4, 2007, 20:17
Aug 4, 2007, 20:17
JD

So that's $9 for Q3 if you go that route
No, it's still $18 if you only want Quake 3 since you can't get only Quake 3 for $9 on Steam.

Activision does sell Quake 3 in the jewel case for <$10 if you can find it. I have seen it at places like Wal-Mart on occasion.

Re: Milking that old cow
Aug 4, 2007, 20:13
JD
Re: Milking that old cow Aug 4, 2007, 20:13
Aug 4, 2007, 20:13
JD

There was that Web game ~2 years ago that was in Alpha stage that had graphics on-par with UT.
The developers of the Morfit 3D engine had a web-based Quake III clone (including an actual Quake 3 map) with multiplayer capability about five years ago. It was basically used as a tech demo of what could be accomplished with Morfit, but the idea of a web-based Quake III is nothing new. There have also been Shockwave-based Quake III clones that run in a web browser.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 20:13.

Re: Hexen 2
Aug 4, 2007, 05:26
JD
Re: Hexen 2 Aug 4, 2007, 05:26
Aug 4, 2007, 05:26
JD

Hexen 2, is an absolute steal at 5 bucks.
It's a good price, but you are not getting the whole game. I was able to get the retail CD with the music tracks from an online merchant for that same price a few years ago, and I bet you can still find a copy online or on ebay today for about the same money. I know that XPLOSIV distributes Hexen 2 so finding a copy at a low price should not be hard. If you are a collector or a real fan, you'll want the music. You'd also want to get the " Portal of Praevus" expansion pack if you can find it, but for some reason that is not available on Steam.

Aug 4, 2007, 03:02
JD
Re: Valve > id Aug 4, 2007, 03:02
Aug 4, 2007, 03:02
JD

Until they actually confirm that, I'm more inclined to think it was just one of those problems you have when you roll out 15 games at once.
Give me a break. These fifteen games aren't new games in the least nor are they obscure games. Both id and Valve know full well that some of them require CD keys for online play.

Does Valve provide retail CD keys for other games on Steam which require them for online play such as Call of Duty and Painkiller?

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 03:03.
190 Comments. 10 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ] Older