Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for JohnBirshire

Real Name JohnBirshire   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 23, 2007, 15:29
Total Comments 1221 (Pro)
User ID 39049

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Underworld Ascendant Ascends
1. Absolute wreck... Nov 15, 2018, 20:24 JohnBirshire

This game is an absolute trainwreck of a disaster, one of my biggest disappointments of 2018. Having loved both Ultima Underworlds, Thief, and System Shock (games the devs name dropped countless times) I couldn't wait to play this.

Within 15 minutes, I was already disgusted, but gave it a solid 4 hours before I threw in the towel. The controls feel wonky, you can't disable simple things like subtitles or mouse acceleration, game was too dark, enemy AI was atrocious, physics are bugged, graphics clip, spells don't save in your spellbook, game saves don't work at all, combat was horrendous, etc etc, this game is a failure of epic proportions.

It's literally an insult to all the games it tries to compare itself to, and needs to have that card taken away from it fast. Even seeing skills called "System Shock" and enemies named "Spectre Warren" would completely break immersion...if the game had any to begin with.

Absolute turd. As for anybody looking forward to this team making System Shock 3, end your excitement now, because it's going to be a catastrophe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > World of Warcraft Classic Demo Play Time Limitations
6. Vanilla was boring as hell... Nov 2, 2018, 11:06 JohnBirshire

I really do not understand why so many people have been clamoring for "WoW Classic" servers for so long.

I was an MMO player since the beginning, starting in Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of Yserbius through Meridian 59, Ultima Online (still the GOAT), and Asheron's Call Darktide. So when WoW was announced I was excited to play it, and followed the development closely.

Bought the game on day 1, leveled to 60, waited for enough people to catch up to play through the endgame content, and then...stopped. There was literally NOTHING to do. No battlegrounds, no arenas, no armor sets, no good dungeon/raid content, etc. All this stuff was added months or years later. People would literally get to 60 then just reroll another character and play through the same leveling content again, for lack of anything else to do. A lot of people quit playing until expansions were released, vanilla WoW was simply boring.

When that Blizz Dev publicly said "People think they want classic servers, but they really don't" he got flamed for it by the community, but I actually understood exactly what he meant. I think a lot of these people didn't actually even play vanilla WoW, or they have extreme nostalgiac reactions to the memory of it which alters their perception of what the game actually was back then.

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Goes Free-to-Play
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 30, 2018, 22:56 JohnBirshire

Pr()ZaC wrote on Oct 30, 2018, 18:38:
I just want an Ultima VII (both parts) remake from Lord British.

I don't understand the point of a remake, as the original still plays fantastically. I loved the Ultima 7 engine, wish they had made more games with it instead. (Like they made a couple different games using the Ultima 6 engine)

http://www.ultima6.realmofultima.com/ This guy is remaking Ultima 6 using the Ultima 7 engine (Exult) and adding a bunch of extra stuff, but it feels like vaporware because it's been in development for years and years. Will be epic if he pulls it off however.

News Comments > Shroud of the Avatar Goes Free-to-Play
10. Re: Shroud of the Avatar Goes Free-to-Play Oct 30, 2018, 14:56 JohnBirshire

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Oct 30, 2018, 12:47:

What killed this game for me was Kingdom Come Deliverance. I know that game is not fantasy, but it hits all of the feels that Ultima 6/7 did for me. Large open world, good story, highly interactive world, not so obvious quest system, exploration, etc.

Wow, think you may have sold me on KCD. Ultima 6 and 7 are both in my Top 10. I read several reviews stating there was no exploration however? Just big empty fields and such? Everything else seemed spot on though, may look into it.

Shroud of the Avatar doesn't look like an Ultima game to me. I read the suplemental book The Sword of Midras as well, nothing Ultima about it, and it's supposed to be based on the world in Shroud. Skipping.

News Comments > Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library
10. Re: Internet Archive Launches Commodore 64 Library Oct 11, 2018, 00:05 JohnBirshire

Most of the Commodore 64 games I played as a kid are easy to find, but one has eluded me.

It was a first person perspective game with creepy music where a different kind of monster would attack at different parts. I believe you had a gun, and had to shoot it. Have looked through 1000's of game screenshots and still haven't had any luck whatsoever.

Going to give this emulator a shot, there are quite a few games I wouldn't mind playing for nostalgia.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: Tattoo Sep 26, 2018, 11:03 JohnBirshire

sliv wrote on Sep 26, 2018, 10:30:
It all started with getting an Atari 2600 for Christmas when I was 8. So I'd have to go with the Atari logo. Maybe with the ET bicycle flying over it.

Before the internet was around to say why the game sucked, I spent hours/days/weeks/months trying to figure out how to even play it. I always thought it was me.

I actually liked that game as a kid, so was very confused when the internet came out and I read that it was the most disasterous game of all time.

I would get the Ankh from the Ultima series tattooed.

News Comments > Landinar: Into the Void Early Access
2. Re: Landinar: Into the Void Early Access Sep 19, 2018, 00:10 JohnBirshire

Cutter wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 11:10:
Looks like it might be good.

Was just thinking the same thing.

Will watch it and maybe pick it up at official release.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined
36. Re: Destiny 2 Day One Issues Outlined Oct 20, 2017, 19:18 JohnBirshire

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 20, 2017, 19:15:
What is causing the player number to drop like a rock?
Or is losing 2 million of your 3.5 mil peeps to be expected.
https://www.bluesnews.com/s/184839/morning-consolidation

Destiny 2 has imploded on the consoles, I have no idea why any self respecting PC gamer would touch this.

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII PC Open Beta Begins
4. Was actually excited about this... Sep 28, 2017, 22:01 JohnBirshire

I was actually really excited about this CoD, as I'm not a fan of the jetpack/wall running of the last couple installments.

Preloaded earlier this week, and couldn't wait to play tonight. (Since the last open beta started early, I assumed this one would too)

Loaded it up, played it...and an hour later uninstalled.

The game feels really zoomed in for some reason, even at 90 FoV. Maps are claustrophically small, weapons take up way too much of the screen, very few players in each game, etc.

Just really "meh", through and through. Back to PUBG I imagine, sigh.

News Comments > Grimoire - Heralds of the Winged Exemplar Takes Flight
16. Priced itself out.. Aug 5, 2017, 16:16 JohnBirshire

Whenever I see a developer selling a game for $X, when it could sell 5 times as many copies for half that, I can't help but think of how terribly ignorant they are. Economics much?!

This price is hurting him, everyone who bought the game, and everyone who didn't because the price was too high.

Pull your head out of your butt.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Next Month
9. Re: Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire Next Month Aug 2, 2017, 09:16 JohnBirshire

Any new races or classes?  

News Comments > PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Ban Change Plans
12. Embarassing... Jul 29, 2017, 14:09 JohnBirshire

If I see the word "Twitch" in someone's name, in ANY game, I go after them relentlessly. You want to show off your "skills" to people hoping they give you money? I want to kill you on principal.

Trying to ban stream snipers is absurd, this developer needs to quit embarassing themselves.

News Comments > Fortnite Head Start Early Access Underway
3. Re: Fortnite Head Start Early Access Underway Jul 21, 2017, 21:18 JohnBirshire

I watched some people play, essentially they were just attacking inanimate objects nonstop, looked incredibly lame.  

News Comments > KONA Released
1. Re: KONA Released Mar 18, 2017, 12:09 JohnBirshire

How many hours of gameplay?  

News Comments > Conan Exiles Banishes Servers
2. How does your character work? Feb 5, 2017, 12:31 JohnBirshire

Do you create a different character for every server? Or is your character saved locally and travels with you to different servers?

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin
3. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 5, 2017, 19:18 JohnBirshire

At this point they could offer every free game ever made, and I still wouldn't install that shit.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Released
17. Just do it Nov 4, 2016, 19:47 JohnBirshire

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 14:04:
So I haven't bought or played a single of the Call of Duty games (and I buy a shitloads of games) yet.

Should this be the 1st time? These games don't go down much in price, so if it is recommended, I may consider it for my 1st time.

I've been a hardcore gamer my entire life. I have pictures playing Mission Impossible on the Commodore 64 when I was 2 years old. Have played nearly 1,000 games on PC and various consoles. There are very few genres I've avoided, playing a little bit of everything. Single player and multi player. (with more of the latter lately) I am well aware of all the vile that the Call of Duty games get, especially from my "elitist" gaming peers who say they wouldn't be caught dead playing one. Every single time one is released, you see the negativity, verbatim. People literally despise this series.

Despite all of the above, I still buy one of them every couple years, and enjoy a solid 100-300 hours playing it. Yes, they are kind of repetitive. Yes, some have had a couple issues. But at the end of the day, they are selling a bajillion copies because they are FUN. Not because everyone buying them is an idiot. So just do it. If you are disappointed, now you know. But don't rule it out just because of what other people say.

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend
3. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend Oct 13, 2016, 22:09 JohnBirshire

This is the best first person melee combat game of all time.  

News Comments > Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name
2. Re: Blizzard Dropping Battle.net Name Sep 21, 2016, 18:33 JohnBirshire

Blizzard Net

News Comments > PC Dead Rising Rises
5. Re: PC Dead Rising Rises Sep 13, 2016, 23:04 JohnBirshire

If you buy this, you are a moron.

Sell your PC, buy a potato, plug a playstation controller into it.

1221 Comments. 62 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo