Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 746 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced
45. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 13, 2016, 00:42 MattyC

It took me a long time to come around to some of the changes made in V, but eventually I did so I will give this the same chance.

It may never feel like the old Civ games, but if it is fun, whatever.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta
12. Re: 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta May 13, 2016, 00:04 MattyC

heroin wrote on May 12, 2016, 20:56:
They've got those Taco Bell ads to hit those numbers.

Hey, I got a game key from one of those so don't knock it! I didn't even get any food, I just needed some caffeine on a road trip. ~$2 for a soda and a game seems a fair price to me!

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Season One Next Month; New Heroes Revealed
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Season One Next Month; New Heroes Revealed May 7, 2016, 01:10 MattyC

cackle wrote on May 6, 2016, 20:41:
still no decent matchmaking, balance seems to be as bad as matchmaking perusing the forums, and no clan system... yet they pump out hero after hero to continue raking in the free cheese for somethign they stopped dev on over a year ago....

I don't play that seriously, but I cannot say I have seen much of any balance issues other than Tracer being broken at first (though I more or less saw that coming). What issues with the matchmaking? It seems as good, if not better, than the other MOBAs I have played.

News Comments > CoD4 Remaster Poop
15. Re: CoD4 Remaster Poop Apr 30, 2016, 04:57 MattyC

Shineyguy wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 09:37:
Eh, I quite enjoyed World At War as well.

WaW was indeed solid and the last CoD game I can really say that about. It wasn't amazing or innovative, but it was fun with entertaining design that looked pretty. That is hardly the highest award I can give to a game, but that is also very very far from the worst thing I could say about one.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 30, 2016, 04:37 MattyC

gsilver wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 11:31:
I can see 1TB to start to become an issue when 4k streaming becomes commonplace.

I'm on Google Fiber now, and everything "just works" which is so much nicer.

I think we have a good 4-5 years before 4k becomes commonplace. That said, you are spot on with Google Fiber. Comcast is rolling out twice the speed of Google Fiber now *cough in some areas *cough very slowly *cough for an insane fee *cough they wouldn't be doing it at all w/o Google competing with them.

It is nice to see that there is still some competition left in the US HSD market though.

News Comments > Romero's BLACKROOM Kickstarter Paused
57. Re: Romero Apr 30, 2016, 04:31 MattyC

CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 20:27:
Doombringer wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 16:01:
Romero doesn't have any more "pull" or "cred" than, say, Chris Roberts -- and what was the last great thing that Chris did? Privateer or something? How many years ago? And, he was involved pretty heavily with the Wing Commander feature film, which was a stinker compared to the narrative in the games? How many failed ventures did Chris have, including Digital Anvil? Yet Chris raised a TON of Kickstarter dough with just a handful of dreams and wishes. He and Romero were (and probably still are) a lot alike, especially at the point when they both made a Kickstarter for a passion project.

Can't say I agree with that. No matter what you may think of the CR of today (I've come to dislike him as well), his historic achievements are several leagues above Romero.
CR was largely responsible for the entire Wing Commander saga (minus Prophecy), Privateer saga, Strike Commander, Starlancer and also did some design work on Ultima V or Times of Lore.

Doom might have kind of started the whole 3D FPS thing but id's games really don't even come close to living up to classics like the Origin games.
id games were always more like graphical showcases and games you bought just for the visual spectacle and to see what's state of the art but they never came close to the awesomeness of Origin's games which managed to combine great visuals, great gameplay and great narratives. id games had awesome visuals, simple gameplay and no story even worth mentioning.

Heck, I very well remember how id described their MO when coming up with a "story". They said they just create the levels and then basically three days before release put them in some order with a bit of narrative thrown in.

Seriously... John Romero = greenkeeper, Chris Roberts (of the 1990s) = Tiger Woods. No real contest between the two.

Origin could be innovative and they brought some great stuff, no denying that, but think about all the shovelware they pushed out too... Granted lots of it was later on as the EA claws began to dig, but eh.

Even if all id was pump out a bunch of solid engines then that would at least put them up with classic Epic and the Unreal engines for me. Did they exactly make the gaming experience for me? No, but without them the other game and mods that I did love wouldn't exist. For example, take out id and you have no Quake followup which means you have no Half-Life, no Counter-Strike, no Day of Defeat, no Front Line Force etc. And you could play that out the same way with all the great Unreal Engine games. Not to mention they probably all feed off each other in some way.

It is funny to make cracks about Romero and I would never take that away from you (I mean those offices... Dominion...? They deserve it), but I wouldn't write off everyone or everything done in those areas. I guess he could be called the greenkeeper, but he was the greenkeeper everyone wanted.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 28, 2016, 02:03 MattyC

I find myself somewhat agreeing with Comcast on data? What is the world coming to? In my experience what they are saying is largely true though. I was never really getting that close to 300 GB a month until very recently when they updated the speeds in our area. Even then I only went over a few times and they never did anything about it (I just know because they do send you a notification, but no added charges). I could see 1TB being quite reasonable for a good while.

I guess the question is though, when people start creeping up on 1TB are they going to change it again or stick it to the customers?

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta
13. Re: Fallout 4 Mods Open Beta Apr 28, 2016, 01:50 MattyC

LittleMe wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 00:14:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 21:41:
Seriously, this shit just takes time. Most people here can not even begin to imagine the mountain of work that goes into providing mod tools of that quality.

This is what project planning is for. It only takes time if they don't allocate the programming resources in advance. If they don't have the resources, they need to hire or plan accordingly. I stand my what I said. They are at least six months late. It needed to into beta on release week. Yes they look like amateurs for many reasons.

In retrospect it looks like this long delay was due to console integration for mods. They should have given the PC community the mod tools from the start so that when it was ready to go on consoles, there would be plenty of mods ready.

Here's a prediction. There will be a half-assed implementation for the in-game mod system and the modding and player community will scream in agony. For example, sorting mod order will be absent or something else that's trivial but essential. Then when people complain about it here on the forums, you'll bitch them out about how difficult it is when in truth most of the hard work has been done on previous games since it's a very old engine.

I really don't see any studio delaying a release over modding tools not being complete. I mean its rare enough to get developers to release any mod tools in the first place. I mean think back to Half-Life & Unreal (and even before w/ Build engine & Quake games) - mods were everywhere and quality tools were out there. Now? StarCraft II and I guess Bethesda stuff. That is about it and I am having to reach back to 2010 to even include StarCraft.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Into the Black Apr 28, 2016, 00:39 MattyC

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 22:11:
descender wrote on Apr 27, 2016, 18:07:
Worst thing is Zelda is now getting pushed off for the NX launch, meaning that NX owners get to start with another half-assed version of Zelda like the Wii owners got (TP was developed as a gamecube game).

Nintendo, I love you but... get your shit together.

Oh it potentially gets worse. Remember how the Wii was basically an overclocked gamecube? This new dual launch of the next Zelda makes me worry they're pulling that shit again.

They can still pull this off IMO, but they are indeed getting dangerously close to the Sega line and just ticking off developers and customers. At least they are being more open about it. I think the nail in the coffin for Sega was they kept thinking rapid hardware launch AND a surprise! Which no one liked.

News Comments > Hearthstone Whispers of the Old Gods Released
5. Re: Hearthstone Whispers of the Old Gods Released Apr 27, 2016, 02:14 MattyC

El Pit wrote on Apr 26, 2016, 23:44:
Blizzard looting the tomb of H. P. Lovecraft for a dime - how the mighty have fallen.

You do remember C'Thun being in vanilla WoW right? Like the over 10 year old version of WoW?

I see it more as a homage. Like with Cthulhu Saves the World.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2016, 19:33 MattyC

That LIAN LI desk is a monument to pointless extras... and yet I want it SO MUCH!  

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
7. Re: Sunday Mobilization Apr 18, 2016, 02:23 MattyC

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 11:50:
Waiting for cut/copy/paste functionality.

I don't think so... unless you are stuck in 2007. Or am I just missing something here?

Also if you are indeed in 2007, please find me and tell me to buy Apple stock and ride out the crash, never get a HDDVD player, and that my car will indeed make it to well over 200k miles with no issues, but then a 16 year old will take it out when it is parked at a stop sign so keep that car saving fund going.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY IX on PC
13. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 14:03 MattyC

Peter M. Smith wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 13:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 12:54:
Well I never played it and many people say it was substantially the best FF game... we'll see.

I love me some X, picked up the PS3 version. I'm running through it using the Expert Sphere Grid, when I want my console fix.

Really?

(Just kidding. I did hate Tidus, but 10 was very far from a bad game.)

10. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 13:49 MattyC

Pigeon wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 13:36:
FF VIII: Maybe I'll come back to this one some day, but I was so bored I found I had to force myself to play it. Best thing about it was the card game because it was more enjoyable than the actual game.

Was it the draw system? If so, I can completely understand. Squall was an extreme emo kid, but I could look past that for the combat and the remainder of the story. That draw system though? I have no idea who OK'd that. For me though it still goes:

'3/6', 7, and Tactics (all more or less equal)
GBA Tactics, Tactics A2, and 8
Andddd then all the rest.

8. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 13:06 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 12:54:
Well I never played it and many people say it was substantially the best FF game... we'll see.

While I think the stories and villains were perhaps better in 3/6 and 7, I would agree that in many way s 9 was superior. The return to the 4 team combat was a welcome change, VIVI was an awesome character that brought back great memories for most, and it just had a generally solid combat system.

At the end of the day 7 still wins me over for the materia system (and the customization options it brought), story, and music. That said, 9's soundtrack was no joke.

6. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 12:48 MattyC

Icewind wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 12:36:
One of the toughest post-end game optional bosses (IMO) was in FFIX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmFDNqZgZc

My favorites will always be the emerald and ruby weapon in 7.

Pigeon wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 10:50:
MattyC wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 10:23:
I liked 9, not as much as '6' or 7, but I liked the game (and it had some great music). They did a great job with the models, but that just makes it clash with the backgrounds that much more. Reminds me very much of the FF Type Zero remake, tons of work done on some models jarring with the rest.

I guess if you never got to play 9 then I would still say go for it, but for anyone who has already played the game? Eh, not seeing it...

I tried emulating it a few times and generally enjoyed it. It felt/played more like I think a FF should be, but there were problems so I never finished, maybe got to the 2nd disk. I'll probably pick this up when I get off work. I've seen a few angry steam posts bitching about the UI, complaining it's a direct port from the android version. I'd probably prefer the PSX UI, but what I've seen so far the PC's version is fine. Maybe by the time I get around to actually playing it a mod will be out.

I can't speak for how well the new(ish?) UI plays out, but it was a good game with some very rather catchy music. It seems like a very solid upgrade for anyone who missed it when it first came out. I was just trying to say that it seemed like they didn't change enough to bring anyone who already played it out / beat it back. '6', 7, and 9 are all awesome in my opinion. 8 is even pretty decent. I really don't feel like that have made one as good as those 4 before or since.

1. Re: FINAL FANTASY IX on PC Apr 14, 2016, 10:23 MattyC

I liked 9, not as much as '6' or 7, but I liked the game (and it had some great music). They did a great job with the models, but that just makes it clash with the backgrounds that much more. Reminds me very much of the FF Type Zero remake, tons of work done on some models jarring with the rest.

I guess if you never got to play 9 then I would still say go for it, but for anyone who has already played the game? Eh, not seeing it...

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Content Plans
12. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Content Plans Apr 14, 2016, 09:22 MattyC

Retired wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 06:17:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 06:12:
Tachikoma wrote on Apr 14, 2016, 04:39:
12 million sold, yep, I`m sure nobody plays it.
12 million sold...
Yeah, in that context pretty much nobody plays it:
http://swbstats.com/

.0075% of the player base has played the game in the last 24 hours......

FAIL

I don't know where you get the %s from, but that seems about like what I said. Relatively healthy on the console and dead on the PC. Then again, it always looked like a console game to me. If I hadn't ended up with a One I don't think I would of ever picked it up. It could still be salvaged on the console but they would need to get started on some major content patches ASAP. PC? Probably a lost cause.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Content Plans
8. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Content Plans Apr 14, 2016, 06:04 MattyC

More New Content - We also have a couple of surprises in store that we know our fans have been looking for, especially those who have been clamoring for ways to have more options to enjoy Star Wars Battlefront offline. More to come soon.

This interests me, but I would have to see what it is first. I have zero intention of getting any of the paid expansions until I see a lot more free content first. It is sad because what is there is nice, but there is just so little there. Even with the one free map pack.

As for the player base? It is still big on the One. IDK about the PC, it always seemed like a console game to me.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 11, 2016, 16:44 MattyC

Vivaldi Vs Google Chrome Vs Microsoft Edge comparison.

Sadly I was hoping to see Vivaldi battling Chrome (who cares about Edge to be honest) with some Four Seasons - Doof Warrior style...

746 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo