Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 1004 (Pro)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Five Free Games with Twitch Prime
2. Re: Five Free Games with Twitch Prime Apr 2, 2018, 10:33 MattyC

I think these were almost all already on Prime via the client... Unless I am missing something.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft Is Life: A 20th Anniversary Celebration
7. Re: StarCraft Is Life: A 20th Anniversary Celebration Apr 1, 2018, 06:05 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 31, 2018, 22:25:
how many of those people were actually out of grade school when StarCraft was launched?

I wasn't able to catch the whole thing, from that video and what I was able to catch I saw Alexky Krupnyk (spelling?) is pushing 40, Geoff Robinson is 32 or 33, Artosis and Tasteless are my age. DJ Wheat goes way back to Quake days, he is ~40.

If you checked out the stream they all seemed to be having fun, it was a very laid back LAN style event. Besides, it would have been a pretty sad promo video if they just sort of came on and said "So this is StarCraft. It is a game. There are other games, but this one is a game too" *fade to black*

News Comments > Mafia Series on GOG.com
5. Re: Mafia Series on GOG.com Mar 31, 2018, 04:46 MattyC

Hoop wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 13:42:
I really enjoyed Mafia 2.

That is still one of my favorite random freebie pickups. It came with (I think) an 8800GTX and I really didn't know much about it. Ended up being quite a fun game.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Mar 31, 2018, 04:14 MattyC

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 21:13:
It doesn't suck, but I have rather severe doubts about its accuracy. It's reporting most batteries at work at 90+%, even those where I know (and other battery life tools are reporting) they have degraded far, far beyond that.

I haven't played with it much, but it seemed about as accurate as CoconutBattery which isn't perfect but has still worked well for me in the past. How old / how many cycles are the batteries you are looking at if you don't mind me asking?

I am still using the old iPhone 6 plus with the original battery. It seems to be holding up. As long as the battery on this doesn't die I see no need in upgrading any time soon. Then again, my usage may be different than most. If I can surf the web smoothly, have access to a SSH client, RDC, text, and also have access to a TN5250 terminal emulator then that phone works for me.

News Comments > Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free
8. Re: Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free Mar 30, 2018, 01:27 MattyC

Drayth wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 00:53:
MattyC wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 23:58:
I mean it is still Zero Punctuation, but I don't think he had sounded that into a review game since Skyrim.

I don't hate all the games he hates, but I like all the games he likes.

That is a good way to put it. If he likes something I pretty much always check it out, even if it doesn't seem like my kind of game.

I intended to post the review, but had a late night brain crash. Here it is.

News Comments > Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free
4. Re: Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free Mar 29, 2018, 23:58 MattyC

Drayth wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 23:41:
Very unique game, story wise.

Yep. I picked it up after an unusually positive review by Yahtzee. I mean it is still Zero Punctuation, but I don't think he had sounded that into a review game since Skyrim. With it being free I would recommend it even to people who aren't usually shooter fans.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 29, 2018, 06:52 MattyC

I don't know much about Terra (wayyyy too much fan service going on there for my tastes), but it sounds like normal F2P model to me. They aren't paying a subscription for Terra, it is F2P here same as on the PC per the article.

The only thing I can think of is you mean they get to level slightly faster with this. That isn't pay to win though. Unless you also consider people with more free time (or just nothing else to do) leveling faster than you a "win".

News Comments > Unreal Engine Ray Tracing
10. Re: Unreal Engine Ray Tracing Mar 22, 2018, 14:02 MattyC

mellis wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 13:21:
Long way off seeing anything like this in games considering that staged demo's like this are in no way indicative of all the other processing required to render a game (AI, Physics, Input, Network etc).

Coupled with the fact that even now - in 2018 - we still haven't got destructible terrain or realistic physics in any games (Red Faction 3 / Red Faction Guerilla are about as close as I can recall). Adding these features would go much further to immersing players than a few new rendering techniques which - quite frankly - can be faked quite well with consumer hardware we've currently got...

We have had games with physics and we have had games with very detailed physics. The problem is no one cared about the very detailed physics. Do you remember CellFactor? Yeah, no one else does either.

Destructible terrain and environments... People just didn't really care there either. Unless you mean raw freedom. I think that would be neat, but that isn't really a tech limitation. I remember digging a tunnel in a CTF map on Red Faction with a friend using rocket launchers. Eventually the game just crashed, but we made it most of the way across the map. That is more a design issue at this point. You have a lot of things to consider before giving players that kind of freedom. If you just mean smashing buildings etc we have plenty of games out that do that right now.

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2018, 04:23 MattyC

I had no idea that they continued making the Close Combat games. I remember having a pretty good time with the early ones, but I wonder how well they hold up. The reviews seem to be all over the place for the new ones.  

News Comments > How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!)
9. Re: How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!) Mar 20, 2018, 07:41 MattyC

Sepharo wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 22:39:
This game is going to be DOA unless they add some sort of progression.
It's not competitive enough to stand on it's own without it. So if you're going to have dudes sailing all over the place for hours to collect chests and skulls there better be a reason to do it other than cosmetic unlocks.

I think as you say in your second post, this will have a lot of people bail due to lack or progression. That said, I think the game can absolutely survive for a long time and I hope it does. Sometimes silly cosmetic stuff is all it takes to survive.

Not everything has to have progression after all, games have existed without it basically since forever. Now you are right that competition often filled in there, but that still isn't always the case.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 14, 2018, 08:01 MattyC

shiho wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 03:54:
WTF is this shit? In the 90s I was never forced to play an FPS on a CGA monitor. This guy will have to crowdfund people to even touch this garbage.

I don't know what that is.. it isn't even CGA. I wish people would just admit that they cannot do art. It is fine. I can play games without some AAA art budget. What I am tired of is "THIS IS RETRO" or 'unique' views designed to (poorly) hide bad art assets.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Delayed Mar 14, 2018, 07:23 MattyC

The first PoE was kind of a mess (hear me out) for a long time too. I think that is just the nature of the beast here. I imagine that with time they will work out the issues with II, just like they did with the original.  

News Comments > Dota 2 Adds Subscriptions
3. Re: Dota 2 Adds Subscriptions Mar 13, 2018, 17:29 MattyC

I won't pretend to know much about MOBAs. I generally dislike them, but has it gotten this bad? I thought you just played for perm access to certain heroes that would otherwise be rotated. This just sounds like are nickle and diming anything they can.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2018, 17:22 MattyC

IBM thinks Notes and Domino can rise again

"There he took up again his great Ring in Armonk - New York, and dwelt there, dark and silent, until he wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Lotus Notes of IBM the Terrible few could endure.

Tears

News Comments > BUILD2 Engine Released
14. Re: BUILD2 Engine Released Mar 11, 2018, 03:16 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Mar 11, 2018, 01:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 13:29:
So why use this instead of Unity or UE4?

I am asking honestly here, what's the point of a CPU engine?

To make it easy to port it to a TI-83. Obviously.

Hey now, I learned Z80 ASM just to make games for the 83! It was a fun machine to work with. Now they have color and grayscale models, but back then it was on or off pixel only. I remember getting faux grayscale out of that with fast (we are talking relative here...) flicker.

Really the only thing that wasn't fun about programming the 83 was those awful screens.

News Comments > BUILD2 Engine Released
11. Re: BUILD2 Engine Released Mar 11, 2018, 01:13 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 10, 2018, 13:29:
So why use this instead of Unity or UE4?

I am asking honestly here, what's the point of a CPU engine?

Because you can. *shrug* Some people put BSD on a toaster others like stuff like this. If you are like me, the fun here is peaking at the code rather than using to make a game. Using tech from that era you get to see all the little cheats and tricks people used because they had to. Now stuff like that isn't needed (well outside of demo scenes) so you don't see much of it.

Nothing wrong with people wanting to see what they can create for nostalgia either.

News Comments > Valve Plans to Make Games
47. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 10:59 MattyC

Yes... make games. Indeed.

News Comments > Get Amnesia Collection Free on Steam
4. Re: Get Amnesia Collection Free on Steam Mar 9, 2018, 02:40 MattyC

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 22:28:
Didn't they do this before?

I am not 100% on this, but if I remember right that was a Humble freebie that you redeemed on Steam rather than just a Steam freebie.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 8, 2018, 06:30 MattyC

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:28:
Amazon -- WTF?

Bitcoin -- *snore*

Greoge RR -- Yes, get to work and finish A Song of Ice and Fire, you lazy bastard.

Didn't George RR Martin say he was still running WordStar is because it kept him from getting distracted? I would like to see his ending, but at this point I will take whatever HBO shows as cannon. I really don't have any faith in him finishing the series.

I think Bitcoin needs to just go away. As I am sure someone will point out, that is just my stupid opinion but it is a scammy bubble and it will end up like all scammy bubbles. The world's first digital decentralized currency - certainly was certainly an ambitious experiment. Maybe it could have stoked some more fires of invention / knowledge, but what 10 years later? Now it is just people wasting an absurd amount of energy (and good hardware! ) on Internet Funbucks.

News Comments > FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION Released
7. Re: FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION Released Mar 7, 2018, 03:38 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 01:18:
Not to even speak of the 4k pack.

I imagine 4k packs will be giving most of us (in the US anyway) flashbacks to the late 90s for some time to come

1004 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo