Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 964 (Graduate)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Get The Red Solstice for Free
4. Re: Get The Red Solstice for Free Jan 16, 2018, 06:13 MattyC

Asmodai wrote on Jan 16, 2018, 02:01:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 21:17:
Still nooooooooope.

Umm, why not? It's actually quite a good game and takes some work to actually beat.

Nice to hear! That is the impression I got from word of mouth. I snatched it up, but haven't had a chance to try it just yet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 16, 2018, 05:56 MattyC

Is that 'from' DSLReports? That link goes to James O'Keefe's 501c organization's site. It has never been anything more than a creepy ad for whatever he is currently shilling. A "story" by "staff report" indeed! I see it offers an eerie low quality banner of him, an oversized sidebar dedicated to hawking O'Keefe's new book, another section at the bottom pleading for a handout, and then reminding everyone once again about his book.

You would think with all that cash he could get someone who knows how to work Photoshop's quick select tool to do his banner, but I guess he had to pay the astroturfing spammer first. Yes, I am mostly just annoyed that I clicked the story link before reading the DSLreports forum post, but blech...

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 15, 2018, 14:29 MattyC

Pigeon wrote on Jan 15, 2018, 12:59:
The Vista article summed up in three words:
Microsoft badly misjudged
And it still holds true today.

Hows so?

The only major complaints I saw that were real were things like driver support and people buying woefully under requirement laptops from shifty OEMs. Those could just as easily have been made about XP when it came out. I was never in love with Vista, but it worked just fine.

News Comments > PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up
13. Re: PUBG China Cheating Backlash Heats Up Jan 12, 2018, 04:26 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 11, 2018, 20:54:
That they don't region lock means they allow 300+ pings to play together? How is that working? Magic rubber bands?

I have no idea what PUBGs netcode is like, but while 300 is certainly pushing towards unplayable it should still be 'tolerable' (if only barely).

That isn't too much worse than what lots of people used to get playing on Korean StarCraft servers. And the micro in that game really makes that matter.

I suppose it really only depends on the netcode (though if they were also getting on VPNs that certainly wasn't going to help) and I don't know enough at PUBG to say anything there.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 11, 2018, 06:14 MattyC

Beamer wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 09:55:
Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2018, 09:44:
Err I hate to be cynical but it looks shallow as a puddle and like a giant vehicle for microtransactions. When was the last time Rare made a good game again?

I'd go back to the N64 days for that.
Perfect Dark Zero was ok in co-op, and had a few good ideas, but it was just ok. Time had really passed it by, and it felt mostly like a relic. I'd have hated it were I not playing with someone on the couch next to me.

Most of the staff fled around 1997, which was part of why Nintendo was willing to let them go to Microsoft. They really did nothing after. I'm surprised Microsoft even kept them together, rather than keeping the IP. The magic of Rare left for companies like Free Radical, most of which aren't around anymore, and most of the employees went on to depressing things, like starting studios to focus on Facebook games, that folded almost immediately. So much great talent...

It wasn't that interesting to me, but I could easily understand what others found fun with Viva Piñata. Other than that... yeah, probably something on the N64 or one of their ports.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2018, 07:08 MattyC

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 20:17:
Looks ok. Not big on the stylized look

I don't ever want all games to look the same and lack their own feel, but if I have to pick between realistic graphics and a stylized version in a pirate game, I would go in their direction. It ages much better (in any genre where it doesn't feel "off") and has more personality, IMO anyway.

That said, I also have my eyes on this one. It has all the right ingredients to be a fun game. Hopefully it all pans out.

News Comments > Fan-Made Overwatch Map Catches Blizzard's Eye
11. Re: Fan-Made Overwatch Map Catches Blizzard's Eye Jan 9, 2018, 05:46 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 12:15:
Prez wrote on Jan 8, 2018, 09:28:
Starcraft 2 had amazing mods made for it. Just saying

But within the confines of the editor, not actual "mods" adding new factions or anything of the sort. Which is a shame ;/

No, both StarCraft 1 and 2 had mod level conversions. The editor in 2 is actually quite robust and you can really get crazy with it. Get a look at the arcade sometime.

Sadly this being more advanced has turned some users off, but what can you do?

As for SC1, you could do quite a bit with the built in editor, but if you really wanted "mod" level changes like you are discussing then it was possible. Look up some of the Camelot Systems stuff, and they were not the only ones working on that. They had new artwork, sound etc. I was hoping to find something a bit better, but I think the ravages of time have eaten the rest of the websites, so you can check this out.

Honestly, they are probably some of, if not the, most moddable RTS titles around. If you look at the SC2 stuff people have even expanded it into TBS and TPS territory.

News Comments > CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans
16. Re: CCP Job Listing Hints MMORPG Plans Dec 30, 2017, 07:19 MattyC

I thought MMOs were kind of their gig now. Couldn't that just as easily be an expansion or some new direction for Eve? Serious question, I don't follow CCP too much.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
18. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 28, 2017, 03:56 MattyC

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:53:
Choobeastia wrote on Dec 27, 2017, 18:34:
So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't liked Bright. It's not the best movie, and it has its flaws, but it's fun. I feel like the critics were watching a different movie, and I wonder if their review copy really was different somehow.
I enjoyed bright and the price was right.

I thought it was perfectly OK. I have seen much worse in the theater. It had some obvious flaws, but it I would agree that it is quite watchable.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 26, 2017, 14:28 MattyC

The part about the Lisa is quite interesting. I mean, I can't see anything really coming from it, but still.

It should be a fun look at computer history, if you are weird like me anyway. Getting to peak at the source was really my only motivation to try Linux when I was super young. I couldn't understand a lot of it, piqued my curiosity though.

News Comments > NVIDIA Ending 32-bit Driver Support
7. Re: NVIDIA Ending 32-bit Driver Support Dec 23, 2017, 04:26 MattyC

Well to be fair I am pretty sure the FreeBSD drivers (32 and 64) only worked about 1/2 the time anyway.

More seriously, I do actually really like BSD... just as a headless server I SSH into. As a desktop dealing with video drivers there is often a mess and as bad as the nVidia ones are the AMD ones are even worse.

I doubt anyone still running a 32bit OS is still getting hardware new enough to really use new features or driver enhancements going forward.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Dec 20, 2017, 10:12 MattyC

qWorld's Largest Mod Site Hopes To Start Paying Mod Creators…q

Not sure they could really pull that off, but it would be neat if they could. I miss the days were we had tons of mods and tools.

News Comments > Get Oxenfree for Free
9. Re: Get Oxenfree for Free Dec 20, 2017, 04:07 MattyC

Tis the season I guess. I can't remember ever seeing so many free titles up around the holidays. That must be the 10th or 11th one I think?  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
13. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Dec 17, 2017, 03:08 MattyC

NKD wrote on Dec 17, 2017, 01:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 16, 2017, 21:34:

Cell phones are relatively new. More studies are underway.

If RF is killing us and we just haven't shown the symptoms yet, we're fucked.

I imagine this will pan out to be (mostly) insubstantial. I am sure it has some nugget of truth to it, but most things like this are overblown or just poorly covered... that goes double for any headlines / blurbs from Slashdot.

That said, if it is medically significant, thanks for telling me ~18 years too late CA!

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Reservoir Dogs Update
2. Re: PAYDAY 2 Reservoir Dogs Update Dec 16, 2017, 05:39 MattyC

Steazy wrote on Dec 15, 2017, 16:24:
This was unexpected but awesome!

I wondered why this was randomly updating on Steam without any notice. Nice, I will have to give it a go.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition
2. Re: Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition Dec 15, 2017, 04:10 MattyC

Rigs wrote on Dec 14, 2017, 22:24:
I must be getting old, I don't remember it being this difficult to shoot down a Messerschmidt before...

I had a similar feeling after finally getting European Air War running on a modern system.

News Comments > Get World in Conflict Free and Free Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Plans
12. Re: Get World in Conflict Free and Free Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Plans Dec 4, 2017, 23:49 MattyC

SirKnight wrote on Dec 4, 2017, 22:00:
I played World in Conflict when it came out. Very good game.

I enjoyed my time with it. I actually got the CE which came with a neat box and a bit of the wall.

That said, I own so few Ubi games. For both of them to be ones I already have I can only conclude that this is part of a vast Ubispiracy against me.

News Comments > Overwatch Free Weekend Underway
3. Re: Overwatch Free Weekend Underway Nov 18, 2017, 07:01 MattyC

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 05:12:
I haven't played in ages and feel no urge to. Just wondering is it still going strong?

I haven't played any since the Halloween event ended, but it was pretty packed then.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 15, 2017, 05:43 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 01:07:
That FCC story is pretty dismal...

Also firefox really is faster, also uses 30% more ram.. nearly on par with Chrome now.. sigh.

Seems quite snappy to me, and I haven't noticed any major changes in RAM usage. I am pretty happy with it. If this update didn't show real progress I was going to just stick with Chromium. They seem to have delivered on 57 though.

News Comments > StarCraft II Free-to-Play Launch
5. Re: StarCraft II Free-to-Play Launch Nov 15, 2017, 05:37 MattyC

Slick wrote on Nov 15, 2017, 04:34:
I like Blizzard's cheeky tweet about how their campaign is fully unlocked after 0 hours of grind, also all co-op missions are unlocked after 0 hours of grind.

When they're talking about a 5-year old game, which ABSOLUTELY had grind to unlock all of the co-op characters/missions.

What in the world did you grind to unlock co-op characters or missions? Do you mean abilities when you leveled them up? Even if that is the case you are pretty far off. With the first win of the day bonus that has been around forever now, leveling those is trivial.

964 Comments. 49 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo