Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 1005 (Pro)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 23, 2018, 15:51 MattyC

More on the Gmail bit. (though it is older)

I noticed some of those is a few google hosted emails I maintain (so not just pure gmail) and was a bit worried for a second.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 21, 2018, 04:39 MattyC

NKD wrote on Apr 20, 2018, 23:55:
Not familiar with this persons music. 28 is way too young...

It is, though at the same time, not always so for musicians.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Offers Free Mech
1. Re: MechWarrior Online Offers Free Mech Apr 20, 2018, 02:55 MattyC

[u

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 2018, 04:40.

News Comments > Blizzard Launches Balance Gifting
5. Re: Blizzard Launches Balance Gifting Apr 19, 2018, 23:41 MattyC

GinRummy wrote on Apr 19, 2018, 23:07:
Yes, I have been struggling to find something to do with all the excess cash I have lying around my house. Thank you Blizzard.

This would be spent cash though. I always end up with a few bucks that sit with stuff like this (Steam, B.net, etc) so it is a welcome change to me.

I mean you can always just let it sit there until you buy something later and pretend it was on sale, but otherwise why not just do this?

News Comments > Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans?
15. Re: Battlefield V Battle Royale Plans? Apr 19, 2018, 01:34 MattyC

I think I see where current trends have us headed... Mobile, MMO, MOBA, Battle Royal with a CCG to play between rounds!! Patent pending!

Now we just sit back and wait for the paychecks to start rolling in. Cool

News Comments > Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching
18. Re: Boss Key Accuses Epic of Poaching Apr 17, 2018, 10:13 MattyC

Kxmode wrote on Apr 17, 2018, 00:17:
CliffyB uses the word "poaching" like he knows what it even means. First, if his ex-employees accepts Epic's offer that's not poaching; it's called being smart. Second, poaching usually involve hunters entering owned lands and killing animals without permission.

I don't really care about anything going on here (though I was hoping for more info on what Boss Key is), but assuming you are not trolling, words have multiple meanings in English. 'to acquire in a clandestine way' is a perfectly valid definition of poach that doesn't involve people hunting Boss Key employs. I also poached some eggs over the weekend and I don't think any hunters were "entering" my "owned lands"...

News Comments > PC Shenmue I and II Announced
1. Re: PC Shenmue I and II Announced Apr 14, 2018, 19:53 MattyC

I was a fan of Shenmue, so I am pretty stoked about this. Not sure how much longer the drive on my Dreamcast is going to last!

That said, eh, I dunno if this is going to make a huge splash with PC gamers this many years later. It was a very different game, I can't really think of another like it and it never saw a PC port (that I know of) unlike games like Final Fantasy VII etc.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Free with Pillars of Eternity II Preorders
10. Re: Wasteland 2 Free with Pillars of Eternity II Preorders Apr 10, 2018, 04:23 MattyC

Quinn wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 01:52:
What the hell? I always thought PoEt had a great reputation?! Is this good ol' Bluesnews negativity or did I get it all wrong?

It earned one, for sure, but it did take it a while.

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Free with Pillars of Eternity II Preorders
7. Re: Wasteland 2 Free with Pillars of Eternity II Preorders Apr 10, 2018, 00:32 MattyC

No talking bad about Wasteland 2! Fight

As for PoE II, I will wait just because the last one started so... meh, but I imagine I will pick it up before too long.

News Comments > DCS World 2.5 Released
18. Re: DCS World 2.5 Released Apr 9, 2018, 04:57 MattyC

Looks at recommended sys requirements...

Well, never-justified-cost-of Saitek X52, lets go home. We are clearly not welcome here.

News Comments > System Shock Revival Revived
22. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 05:17 MattyC

El Pit wrote on Apr 8, 2018, 04:05:
The Kickstarter people mostly want just System Shock working on a modern OS - looking as buttugly as the classic game and without a single bit of different gameplay, story, and so on. To me it sounds like the order was "Just make System Shock work on a modern OS and then DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING".

I hope that isn't what they were asking for. If it was, someone should have just pointed them to DOSbox. It has supported system shock for ages now.

System Shock 2 is more in need of love there.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2018, 05:39.

News Comments > System Shock Revival Revived
20. Re: System Shock Revival Revived Apr 8, 2018, 02:40 MattyC

I was more interested in their release of the Mac (though any version would have interested me) source code. I was worried they were not going to end up letting it go.

Build engine source and now System Shock source... tiny me from the past would be quite jealous.

News Comments > Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam
6. Re: Get Crusader Kings Free Thorough Steam Apr 6, 2018, 05:36 MattyC

Mordhaus wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 01:15:
After seeing the sheer amount of DLC, I think I would rather put my dick between two boards and have someone hit them with a sledgehammer.

You know you don't have to get the DLC right

That said, I am sure this game has quite the learning curve. I know their other titles did. Doesn't mean they aren't fun once you figure them out though!

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients
19. Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 6, 2018, 05:22 MattyC

LDAsh wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 05:03:
We should all be listening to what 'internet-dudes' think it means, none of which have tried to give their own definition yet.

Why are you discussing things on an online game forum if you don't care what 'internet-dudes' think? At any rate, new API features are not about scale. This goes from the GPU level to the API and OS. You are not asking for scale, you are asking for everything going forward to be backwards compat, and that isn't realistic. Please pick a few examples of DX11+ features and tell me how you think we could simply 'scale' them into DX9 hardware. I feel like we are just going to have to agree to disagree, here...

LDAsh wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 05:03:
And _again_, I'm not talking necessarily about DX9 now, I'm talking about DX11 and Windows 7 support, into the future, when we'll go through all of this yet again.

That is part of working with technology. You are always going to have to go through it all again. There is always a new shiny and someone always has a new idea.

News Comments > Free Shadowrun Returns with BATTLETECH Preorders
5. Re: Free Shadowrun Returns with BATTLETECH Preorders Apr 6, 2018, 05:15 MattyC

Kajetan wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 03:44:
MattyC wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 01:33:
I feel like everyone who would be interested in this probably has it ...
Nobody has it, it isnt out yet
And i dont pre-order. Release day purchase or a few days later (when i have time to play) is more than enough.

I was referring to Shadowrun Returns being a bonus, rather than people already having MW. :p

News Comments > Free Shadowrun Returns with BATTLETECH Preorders
1. Re: Free Shadowrun Returns with BATTLETECH Preorders Apr 6, 2018, 01:33 MattyC

I feel like everyone who would be interested in this probably has it, but still. If you are someone who doesn't? This should really be icing on the cake.  

17. Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 6, 2018, 00:14 MattyC

LDAsh wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 03:25:
In 2002, DirectX 8 was still mostly the norm. I'm not too sure there were any games that were strictly using 9, even in 2003 when games like 'Thief - Deadly Shadows' and 'Deus Ex - Invisible War' came out, they weren't _strictly_ DX9, there were compatibility modes for those games. Doom3 probably marks the beginning, at least in my mind.
The "era", I would say, then is somewhere between 2004-2008. I might even say 2009, when Windows 7 was released, thanks to the trainwreck called Vista.
I look at shots from this game and can put them up side-by-side with games that came out ~10 years ago, and yeah, I'm not seeing anything surprising, honestly.

My whole point is - hate on XP and 32bit and DirectX9 all you want to, (a bit late because) that's already over, but get ready for it to happen again with Windows 7 and DirectX11. What would solve this is called "scalability". It used to be a thing.

This is not intended to be snarky, but no one is going to go out of their way to wedge in support for your ancient and decrepit Windows XP DX9 code base that even Microsoft wrote off forever ago. It just isn't going to happen.

The games in question don't matter. If you need to see what changed you should look at the API documentation. Barring that, you can go here.

I think you are confused on what scaling means.

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Patch
2. Re: Sea of Thieves Patch Apr 5, 2018, 01:49 MattyC

Numinar wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 23:07:
That second one isnít a change, but a good UI tweak.

Found a whole beach full of unguarded treasure the other day from someone that had obviously wrecked and needed to recover their ship to reclaim it all. I got most of it before I saw the tall sails on the other side of the island, shat myself and escaped with multiple gunshot wounds. Good piratey times!

I am happy to hear that some people are still having fun with it. I don't have the time right now, but it is a game I really wanted to like.

15. Re: Heroes of the Storm Dropping DX9 and 32-bit Clients Apr 5, 2018, 01:48 MattyC

LDAsh wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 20:46:
Satoru wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 07:45:
Do you know what this word means? Because your continued misusage indicates you don't
In software terms, scalability means increasing compatibility by providing options to "scale" features concerning performance, such as lowering the resolution of textures and their compression so the game would run on a GPU with less texture memory, etc. That's just one surface example, but it goes a lot deeper than that.
You're welcome to your own interpretation and also very welcome to claim I'm crazy and stupid, I don't care what "internet dude" says, but this isn't my definition of scalability, it's what I've heard AAA developers talk about.

It is just removing what was already deprecated. It doesn't look like a game from the DX9 era... Those are games that came out ~2002. Feel free to look them up.

At any rate, letting XP / 2002 versions of DirectX lapse seems pretty logical at this point. I can't speak for the person you were replying to, but I am not saying you are crazy, just that I don't think you really understand what you are saying. Feel free to Google some images of games from that era and please fill me in on the similarities, but I certainly don't see them.

As a Blizzard game is is already incredibly adjustable to scale and welcome to a wide variety of systems. That has always been their way. However, they are't going to support an API that will soon be 20 years old and that no one else supports. I am also curious what AAA developers are talking about 32 bit DX9 code for the future.

^ If any of the above sounds hostile, sorry, that was not my intent. It is more intended to convey bafflement.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Hero Reveal Tomorrow
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm Hero Reveal Tomorrow Apr 5, 2018, 01:40 MattyC

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 4, 2018, 21:09:
Rock n Roll Racing Pickup truck. You heard it here first!

I... I would be ever so happy with that.

1005 Comments. 51 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo