Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 747 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released
7. Re: Civilizations III Rise of the Terrans Released Jun 16, 2016, 03:53 MattyC

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 22:59:
I contracted on Civ III back in 2001- it would be amazingly awesome if they released an expansion for it 15 years later, but I think we used 3dsmax4... not sure if that's Windows 10 compatible.

Unless something has changed or I am slowly going crazy you could render the units (if that is what you are talking about) however you wanted. It was still more or less sprite based. You could create 3d models and use those as the basis for sprites, but what you ended up using was just PCX files w/ transparency ini files, and flc files IIRC. Flc was an autodesk format, but they didn't lock it down like .max. Again, this is just what I remember from playing around with modding the game so I could be off after so many years.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Trailers
2. Re: Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Trailers Jun 15, 2016, 01:17 MattyC

siapnar wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 21:11:
A little wonky with the animations and physics, but they're pushing for castle sieges, which is awesome in itself

I am sure they have some planned polish there and I would imagine animations are one of the most difficult parts of creating a game like this (not that I can speak from experience). I hope they ultimately nail everything because it looks a game with tons of potential.

News Comments > Battleborn Adding Microtransactions
9. Re: Battleborn Adding Microtransactions Jun 15, 2016, 01:10 MattyC

I honestly didn't know Battleborn was still a thing. It sort of came and went without notice for me.  

News Comments > Gears of War 4 for Windows 10
11. Re: Gears of War 4 for Windows 10 Jun 14, 2016, 07:38 MattyC

Nuhauser wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 01:37:
Are we going to be stuck playing with a gimpy thumbstick controller like we are for Forza?

Yeah! Those guy should make us play a racing game with the mouse and keyboard! It works way better than a controller or a racing wheel or other options people have had playing Forza! Laugh

That said, I don't see a lot of people moving to 10 because of GoW. Now admitting Metro was a failure and removing it? That might get a few people to at least look.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Trailer
19. Re: Battlefield 1 Trailer Jun 13, 2016, 02:51 MattyC

I will be keeping my eye on this one. Should be nice to see some variety in the Battlefield setting.

I am pretty sure more aircraft were in that trailer than in all of WWI, but I don't think anyone was buying Battlefield games for the realism anyway.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
3. Re: Evening Interviews Jun 8, 2016, 05:04 MattyC

ZeroPike1 wrote on Jun 8, 2016, 03:56:
And nothing about the recent proof about the Hit Box problem. I knew about it in beta but somebody actually put it to the test with video showing just how bad it is. Ether have Blizz come up with some sort of solution, or at least try to explain it away.

What exactly are you talking about? I am not discounting your post at all, I am serious. I haven't heard anymore complaints about hitboxes than usual in Overwatch. That said, I usually play a healer, so I could miss some things there.

Is it rubber banding? Clipping? Generic hit box gripes?

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Starter Edition
11. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Starter Edition Jun 4, 2016, 06:03 MattyC

I would be happier with a 'sorry we botched this so bad when it had such potential' update for those of us that shelled out for this thing at launch.

It really should be much better than it is. Conceptually I like the game, but in practice? Eh...

News Comments > Mafia II Back on Steam; Mafia III CE Unveiled
14. Re: Mafia II Back on Steam; Mafia III CE Unveiled Jun 2, 2016, 05:02 MattyC

Cutter wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 21:59:
I hope this game fails miserably so 2K understands and gets a proper Mafia game followup to Mafia 2.

Gez, I am not blown away by anything I have seen from 3 yet, but this random hate seems odd... Why not at least wait for some reviews or streams? I loved Mafia II and I see that III is different, but I really don't think we have seen enough to say one way or the other.

News Comments > Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog
19. Re: Starbreeze Acquires Cinemaware Catalog Jun 2, 2016, 04:57 MattyC

Eirikrautha wrote on May 31, 2016, 21:18:
Cutter wrote on May 31, 2016, 20:34:
I recall Wings, but none of the others though a few of them ring a bell sorta kinda.
Defender of the Crown was good stuff. A risk-like map with battles once you engage on a county.

I was way too young to play Defender of the Crown, but even when I did start to get into gaming I still thought that game looked amazing. As for that type of game, I preferred Castles II (though I think genres were less defined and more fluid back then), but then again it had a while to learn from things like DotC.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
6. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 29, 2016, 05:34 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on May 28, 2016, 20:04:
Apple like a cult? Ya don't say...

It is a clickbait headline. I was curious because wile I have never worked there, I have 3 friends who did in college, and I never heard any complaints. Article says the same for the most part. It is your average retail job. Lots of corporatism etc. I doubt Apple would want to be seen that way, but given my experiences in electronics retail, it seemed par for the course.

Oh except at most of those places you would get minimum wage + commission so if you wanted to eat more than ramen and your last term class notes you had to basically con people into buying useless things they would never use.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue May 27, 2016, 04:56 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on May 27, 2016, 04:20:
The Half Elf wrote on May 26, 2016, 18:28:
Baristan wrote on May 26, 2016, 16:30:
Purchased a Logitech MX518 mouse back in 2005. The scroll wheel needs to be cleaned every few months now, the rubber coating wore off, and a skid pad fell off, but otherwise after 10+ years of gaming it's still works as well as it did when it was new. Logitech and Microsoft mice have always lasted many years for me.

I've had great luck with Logitech mice/keyboards. From rogue cheez-its avalanches to being doused in beer, a little cleaning and good as new.

I bought a high-end Logitech mouse (G5, I think) many years ago. I liked it so much I immediately bought another since models change frequently, and I put it in storage. That first mouse lasted me five years until it died. I pulled the mouse out of storage and opened the new packaging and plugged it in. It lasted five weeks before dying.

I had a Logitech MX510 from the ~paleozoic era until a few years back when it finally died. It didn't even fully die, it just got a short in the cable. It was fixable, but I just moved that PC to a MX518. Now I use that plus my G500 on my other computer. They are hearty mice (meese, mousen?). I never had a G5, but that seems a very short life for a Logitech. Did you try giving them a call?

News Comments > Funcom Rebounds
10. Re: Funcom Rebounds May 26, 2016, 18:26 MattyC

Desalus wrote on May 26, 2016, 10:52:
Glad to see this news. Exiles will probably be one of the very few Early Access games I buy because I'm a big fan of the Conan setting and I want to see Funcom stay afloat.

As someone who picked up AoC for more or less these exact reasons, please do not do this. If it still ends up being your thing once it is out, then go crazy, but otherwise its not still good.

News Comments > New Unreal Tournament Map
7. Re: New Unreal Tournament Map May 26, 2016, 06:05 MattyC

JaguarUSF wrote on May 26, 2016, 05:58:
Kosumo wrote on May 26, 2016, 04:57:
Anyone know what the business model is for this product?

If memory serves, people can charge for mods and they will get a cut of that?

I don't know. My GoogleFu has turned up nothing clearly stated. Obviously with UDK and Make Something Unreal they have the option to spawn whole games, but this may be something different for them.

News Comments > New Unreal Tournament Map
4. Re: New Unreal Tournament Map May 26, 2016, 04:12 MattyC

Bumpy wrote on May 25, 2016, 21:55:
Next thing you know they'll bring back the DeLorean or something. <sic>

They started that long ago with leftover parts and I believe someone is going to start on entirely new models soon.

News Comments > Overwatch Launches
11. Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 07:18 MattyC

thecakeisalie wrote on May 24, 2016, 05:03:
Sepharo wrote on May 24, 2016, 03:26:
I agree with most of your criticisms, especially the tick rate that causes lag shots from snipers when you've already made it to cover. The day 1 matchmaking is going to be obnoxious but the only way around that was not resetting beta progress, and even then you'll still run into issues simply because most people have yet to be sorted. If it's any consolation I found the matchmaking to be really good towards the ends of each beta run.

What I don't agree with is the idea of "broken combos", everything has a counter. I'd be interested to hear what you consider to be a broken combo. And as a Zenyatta main, I vehemently disagree with the notion that the developers don't want you to play support. Since you didn't give any details there I'm not sure what you even mean. Healing is very important, Lucio's speed is important, Zenyatta's 50% DMG curse is important, Mercy's revive, Zenyatta's super strong heal bubble ult. Awards are given for healing dealt out at the end of the round. You get elimination assists on guys you're healing. I think they've gone out of their way to make sure healing is rewarded and intuitive for the win.

"Broken combos" like Bastion + Mercy + Reinhardt sitting on a moving objective. Very hard to deal with under the best circumstances if the Bastion is any good and the other 3 players prevent flanking and run interference. A lot of people who bought the game because it's Blizzard and who never played the beta would have no idea how to counter it. Or the team who boxed us in with Mei in a narrow area with ice wall, and a Reaper teleported behind the wall and instantly fired off his ultimate, killing everyone. They did this repeatedly. I tried to counter these setups having played the betas but the other people in the group just died. A lot.

I haven't had a chance to play with a good Reinhardt and a good Bastion before, but as a Mercy player I will say that while Bastion + Mercy is quite strong it feels like that is just a player issue. It reminds me a lot of when TF2 first came out. Good heavy medic combos are still strong now, but plenty of people called it 'too strong' until... well public servers finally got the memo.

I played this, got amazed at how bad I have become at shooting games, looked at how the progression system is kinda boring and... don't think I'll be playing this any more.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but does EVERY game need a super detailed progression systems now? I don't ever recall playing Quake, Unreal Tournament, Day of Defeat, Counter-Strike or Tribes for progression. People just played them because they had fun doing so... I mean it is great that Battlefiend games offer bar filling excitement for FPS players who want it, but gez guys. It lets you earn cosmetic upgrades... what more do you want?

This comment was edited on May 24, 2016, 07:24.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
37. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 21, 2016, 02:43 MattyC

Rigs wrote on May 20, 2016, 09:13:
MattyC wrote on May 20, 2016, 06:31:
I am still holding off for the console mod release. I had hoped that would come with Far Harbor, but I guess not :/ Oh well, I still enjoyed FO4. Even if it was the worst FO, I could think of a lot worst things to call a game.

I don't understand that mentality. How was it the worst? It felt like the best one, IMO. It has so many options, so much potential still, too. You can enter so many more buildings, there's more perks/skills and the enemies are a little more varied and not so 'cookie-cutter' like I felt FO3 had. Plus, I thought the story was more epic in FO4 than in FO3. I never really played FO:NV much, so I can't really compare FO4 to that and I never finished FO3, but I spent a lot of time in the beginning and middle parts with different types of starting characters. I still think FO4 is better, story-wise. It just feels more fleshed out and engaging, more 'real'. I don't see how FO4 could be thought of as the worst of the series, by any means...

=-Rigs-=

I am not of that point of view myself. I have liked every Fallout game I have played (yes, even Tactics). I was saying to those that are.

Generally their reasons are lack of choices, but to me that seemed to fit in 4. Yes it does let you kind of play every faction until the very end, but why wouldn't you be able to do that? There are really only 2 sides you can be on. Institute or not institute, that is your choice. I don't see any of the other factions getting grumpy at you for doing what they want done anyway for someone else. That is the biggest complaint I have seen.

News Comments > Overwatch Launch Plans
8. Re: Overwatch Launch Plans May 20, 2016, 07:51 MattyC

Grumpy Sod wrote on May 20, 2016, 07:30:
PHJF wrote on May 19, 2016, 19:40:
Wait, the English also use dumbass DST?

Yup, but to be confusing, we call our summer time BST (British Summer Time) while in the US you use the 'ST' suffix for Standard Time, right?

DST or daylight saving time. We don't trust you guys with any meaningful system of measure. Sumbag limey's exporting your imperial system of measure all over the world then saying, "WOAH, what are you doing using that junk?!?" and your entire currency system was clearly maintained by some sort of warlock until the 70s! /s

Really though it is just DST.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization May 20, 2016, 06:35 MattyC

I am sure Amazon can afford it and that is what he is going for here. Not sure if I am a fan of the angle, but I can see it.

That said, I don't think they are so secure that they can afford many Fire repeats. They lack a Microsoft sized warchest and almost guaranteed future business income and I think even Microsoft is starting to feel the pinch with their repeated mobile and phone products.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
28. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 20, 2016, 06:31 MattyC

I am still holding off for the console mod release. I had hoped that would come with Far Harbor, but I guess not :/ Oh well, I still enjoyed FO4. Even if it was the worst FO, I could think of a lot worst things to call a game.  

News Comments > Overwatch Launch Plans
6. Re: Overwatch Launch Plans May 20, 2016, 06:29 MattyC

Luke wrote on May 20, 2016, 02:39:
Well WHAT a bummer Maybe ya should put your life on hold to play this cartoonish mango "game" Clown

So not only can I play this, but it dispenses tasty juicy fruit and free air quotes? This is really a win win!

747 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo