Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 730 (Apprentice)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 10:49 MattyC

Warskull wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 10:12:
I would say maybe between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 in my experience. I had quite a few running around. Did you test all 30?

I sent everyone through the psi labs once I had it. It is possible some who had already died were 'gifted', but I think I had only lost 1 or 2 besides the unavoidable first mission ones prior to that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC
1. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 09:49 MattyC

More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.

Was it not already? Don't get me wrong, I had a pretty good time with Xcom: EU. That said, I think I had 3 psionics in my game where I kept a roster of 30 (new soldiers when previous ones died).

News Comments > AoE Online Content Development Ceasing
2. Re: AoE Online Content Development Ceasing Jan 3, 2013, 21:18 MattyC

This could have been moderately fun if was actually F2P or more realistic about content prices. You could do almost nothing with the base game and the content packs (at least at launch, I can't speak for any later reductions) were too expensive for what they were.  

News Comments > Dune II Web Revival
12. Re: Dune II Web Revival Dec 31, 2012, 10:44 MattyC

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Dec 30, 2012, 21:46:
I remember spending countless hours playing Dune II back when it first came out. I tried it again years later, but yeah, the interface is painful, and it's been surpassed in gameplay many times over since then. Great game in its time though.

I also have fond memories of Dune and the early C&C games, but yeah... going back and playing them now really shows the limitations of early RTS UIs.

News Comments > Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved
12. Re: Diablo III PvP Nears; Team Deathmatch Shelved Dec 28, 2012, 00:23 MattyC

PropheT wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 22:49:
RaZ0r! wrote on Dec 27, 2012, 21:18:
Hi I'm Blizzard! I kicked ass from 1994-2003. I crapped out games more polished than diamonds and more fun than girls. Then I made World of Warcraft, it was awesome too at first. After launch, everyone left to make new companies. That left me with no one that knew how to keep making games or expansions that were fun. But it's names like Blizzard that make fun games, not people. I'll show you all when I release Diablo III PvP that Blizzard still kicks ass! Well when it's ready.

Oddly enough, Mists of Pandaria might actually be their best expansion yet in WoW. There's a reason nobody has knocked it off its throne yet.

Diablo 3, though, I just don't get the appeal of PvP or why anyone would even want it. There's better games to do that sort of thing and the time they spend on it is better spent improving or creating content for the PvE portion of Diablo 3.

I also really enjoyed SC2. People can make it sound like Blizzard hasn't done anything good in years if they want, but I have been pretty happy. I thought Cataclysm was terrible and D3 was just ok and clearly released too soon, but otherwise? One of the better PC game makers in my book.

News Comments > StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch
8. Re: StarCraft II Heart of the Swarm Beta Patch Dec 6, 2012, 09:50 MattyC

dj LiTh wrote on Dec 5, 2012, 20:26:
sc2 and d3 teams should be excommunicated from gaming

No, SC2 was pretty fun.

News Comments > The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Week
12. Re: The Old Republic Goes Free to Play Next Wee Nov 8, 2012, 22:01 MattyC

I guess this is nice, but I still would have rather payed them money for their KOTR + WoW + Mass Effect game. I just had no desire for a forced MMO. They had a solid story driven game and mucked it up trying to wedge a MMO in there. Pretty much everything that is wrong with the game is wrong because of that.  

News Comments > F2P Command & Conquer Beta Early Next Year
12. Re: F2P Command & Conquer Beta Early Next Year Nov 4, 2012, 22:10 MattyC

Tumbler wrote on Nov 4, 2012, 21:48:
Meh, good luck with C&C anything at this point.

I guess if they have bases then we have to consider it progress. Minimal progress, but something :/

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed
10. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed Oct 16, 2012, 19:57 MattyC

Asmo wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 18:24:
MattyC wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 18:11:
Ceribaen wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 16:39:
I gave it a try one day, pulling out my old sidewinder stick... but controls seemed wonky and then got distracted by a few other games that just got released.

Might have to give it a go again shortly though. Missed out on deciding on Founders package though.

If your 'old Sidewinder' is as old as my old Sidewinder, you may find that you need to go out you lost the plugin spot years and years ago and didn't even notice

I've still got my 98-99 vintage sidewinder II force feedback stick, but fucking Microsoft won't support the bastard with drivers in Win7 anymore... = |

re: MWO, use mouse + keyboard and turn your mouse sensitivity WAAAAY down. I use the lowest DPI setting on my mouse during matches, helps immensely with precision shooting (ie. continuing to pound weak spots in armour). It may not feel like it when you're getting gangbanged by a premade of cheese build mechs but it's actually quite a measured experience, even booting along in a scout mech. Quick snappy movements don't make a difference when your arms/torso take time to get lined up. Getting your shot right in the first place is more important than mashing the fire key.

I still have my Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro Joystick that I used to play the old MechWarrior games and European AirWar on, but I realized I hadn't had a gameport in years (optical out to a receiver for audio) when I picked up some IL-2 Sturmovik game on sale.

Ended up going with a Saitek X52 that is nice, but hardly enough Mech / Flight games coming out for me to really get my money out of it.

7. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed Oct 16, 2012, 18:11 MattyC

Ceribaen wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 16:39:
I gave it a try one day, pulling out my old sidewinder stick... but controls seemed wonky and then got distracted by a few other games that just got released.

Might have to give it a go again shortly though. Missed out on deciding on Founders package though.

If your 'old Sidewinder' is as old as my old Sidewinder, you may find that you need to go out you lost the plugin spot years and years ago and didn't even notice Unless you have an old PC and you used it I am guessing you have a newer one.

This comment was edited on Oct 16, 2012, 18:22.

3. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed Oct 16, 2012, 16:28 MattyC

Bah, I was looking forward to getting to try this out. It at least looks promising.  

News Comments > etc., etc.
9. Re: etc., etc. Oct 11, 2012, 22:38 MattyC

zombiefan wrote on Oct 11, 2012, 21:53:
Stopped reading PC Gamer in 2001. Haven't looked back. But give me the old PC Accelerator back any day.

Maybe I am an oddity, but I miss classic CGW more than PC Gamer or anything else. *shrug*

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
74. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 6, 2012, 00:29 MattyC

NKD wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 15:07:
Luke wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 07:52:
wow has been cooked down to a four button console game , 10 mil they say ..sure and if they told ya the earth was flat you would belive them also Book

I need about 25 hotkeys for my character's abilities.

I don't know about 25 (they seriously did things I do not like to Warriors), but yeah. Saying they 'cooked down' WoW to 4 abilities is just trolling.

News Comments > WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again
48. Re: WoW Passes 10M Subscribers Again Oct 4, 2012, 17:50 MattyC

Rhett wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 15:01:
Beelzebud wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:48:
If people are still having fun with it, then good for them.

Personally I raided for 3 years, and led a raiding guild for 1.5 of those years. I've had enough of MMOs, no matter what they are. For me I'm glad to be out of the scene. Too much time and effort, for very little real world payoff.

Yeah... it was definitely fun while it lasted. Plus, the $15/mo was a tad cheaper than buying a new game every month or so. Met a lot of fun, interesting, and creepy-as-fuck people... but it was overall a memorable gaming time.

This new expansion sounds just as bad as the last one, though...

Not at all. I am having quite a bit of fun with MoP. Cata on the other hand...

News Comments > Mists of Pandaria Sales Disappointing?
61. Re: Mists of Pandaria Sales Disappointing? Sep 28, 2012, 14:19 MattyC

What is the point in counting sales but ignoring digital? Did they just do this so they could name drop Blizzard/WoW and get some page views? Other than people getting collector's edition copies why would anyone not get the digital download? I would imagine the vast majority of MoP sales were digital.  

News Comments > World of Warcraft Free Character Transfers
13. Re: World of Warcraft Free Character Transfers Sep 27, 2012, 17:17 MattyC

Trevellian wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:49:
nin wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:47:
Trevellian wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 15:43:
I can't believe idiots still play this turd with games like Guild Wars 2 available.

YEAH! What's up with those people that like other games than you do?! The nerve!

It's a going on 10 year old turd that was once upon a time good. Pandaria is getting terrible reviews. They no longer have a direction or anything substantial to add to the MMO space. It's a nearly 10 year old turd that needs to be pinched off whether you like it or not.

I am having a good bit of fun with it, best expansion since TBC (probably better than it). I hated Cata and really didn't think I would come back, but I have to admit I am having fun. I thought GW1 wasn't very good so GW2 was never on my radar. Good thing there are different games for different people right?

And what reviews? I don't think anyone has really reviewed it yet.

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches
56. Re: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Launches Sep 25, 2012, 21:33 MattyC

coolkev99 wrote on Sep 25, 2012, 17:21:
Its popular to bash WoW these days, but its really not that bad. It just hasn't changed the formula much and now gone stale. Many of us have moved on. There are still those newer players and die-hards who still like it, but this game is slowly becoming irrelevant.

I have no idea if it will have any real staying power on me, but I had a friend convince me to pick up MoP and month worth of playing time and I am enjoying it so far. Best expansion since TBC if you ask me. I generally feel like I am exploring new places and fighting new monsters, not just slightly retouched old models and new areas that look more or less the same as the old. Additional in game cut scenes and voice acting also help (less - bah wall of text, whatever Ill just go to the spot on the map).

I am having a good time for now. I will see if that feeling stays at level cap though...

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation
19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation Sep 19, 2012, 16:27 MattyC

Jivaro wrote on Sep 19, 2012, 16:02:
I don't see why they are waiting so long to go fully F2P.

DC Universe implemented F2P as soon as they realized a monthly sub wasn't going to work. The game still runs, and is even generating some money. I think it is because they didn't wait until everyone quit and the player base was so small that you couldn't make money off the in-game store.

Seems to me that Bioware/EA is counting on people to want to come back and give them a second chance....and with all the competition out there, I am not really sure that is going to work. Would have been smarter to go F2P while you still had most of the players' attention. Particularly given that the biggest complaints about the game revolve around endgame and PVP content...which are the only things to keep you playing after you complete a the story line. Even if people come back, how do you sell them anything in the in-game store if they leave again as soon as they wrap up their storyline?

I don't know, I am not a developer and I have zero experience in managing a project like that....but it just seems like one bonehead short-sighted decision after another.

They actually have a pretty reasonable number of high pop servers from what I have seen. Now how many of those players are free-to-15 like me vs paying users? No idea.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation
2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Server Consolidation Sep 19, 2012, 09:54 MattyC

Boo, I was having fun with my F2P to 15 characters on a totally empty server. Then again I always wanted another KOTOR and not a MMO.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
12. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 12:47 MattyC

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:46:
Yeah, they've fumbled a bit. Expensive second tablet (+$150), no sensor bar...rumored $300+ price, based on Japan pricing...

It's not looking great this morning. The attraction to the wii was the cheaper price, and that it did something the other consoles didn't. For this version, it's close to the price of existing consoles, and does some of the same shit (motion, flailing around) that it's last version did.

Not a good start...

edit: Sensor bar may be back in... http://live.kotaku.com/

Wasn't the original NES big bundle close to $400 when adjusted for inflation? I mean I am not that interested in the Wii U, but I am also hardly flinching at that price.

Follow up: What cost $199.99 in 1988 would cost $363.77 in 2010. However accurate that is.

730 Comments. 37 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo