Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 989 (Graduate)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Unreal Turns 20 - Get Unreal Gold for Free
33. Re: Newer engine mods and Return to Na Pali? May 23, 2018, 03:10 MattyC

Ant wrote on May 23, 2018, 02:12:
Is there an enhanced game addon or hack to make the game even better?

Is its Return to Na Pali expansion worth it playing? I never played that.

1) Not exactly. It is largely the same game, but with new weapons and (for the time) gfx improvements. It also came with some free DLC Epic released as the most recent patch.

2) At the time? Absolutely. Now? Eh, unfortunately you will probably have to find that out for yourself. For free I really don't see why you shouldn't give it a go.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Battlefield V Set in WW2?
20. Re: Battlefield V Set in WW2? May 22, 2018, 03:02 MattyC

Ah, WWII yet again. I guess I gave them too much credit for at least trying WWI. Truly a "a new setting" for BF! Rolleyes  

News Comments > Age of Wonders: Planetfall Announced
10. Re: Age of Wonders: Planetfall Announced May 20, 2018, 04:02 MattyC

I feel it couldn't still be April. It also isn't the 1st of the month as far as I know. Yet, that title is still there...  

News Comments > Shenmue III Release Date Shen-Moved
3. Re: Shenmue III Release Date Shen-Moved May 16, 2018, 15:25 MattyC

If I was a backer this would probably worry me somewhat.

As someone who is just a series fan though? I have waited this long, what is another year?

News Comments > Morning Interviews
3. Re: Morning Interviews May 16, 2018, 15:23 MattyC

Jagacademy wrote on May 16, 2018, 11:56:
I swear Diablo has 714,105,145 creators.

"Diablo creator insert random name here talks about their new game" is a headline I've seen countless times.

Well that is probably going to stick around, but yeah. That game didn't really have a 'creator' it was the work of lots of people from more than one studio.

That said, you can also attribute a large chunk of those to Brevik. I don't fault him for that, people want to hear from him and he has interesting things to say. That said, *he has seemed to milk this "I AM THE REAL DIABLO MAN" thing in the wake of D3.

*That could be the media, fans, or it could be him I should say. Fans want their Diablo, media wants their clicks, and he probably wants his work seen by more eyes. I don't mean that in a malicious way, it just has seemed to drone on and on...

News Comments > RAGE 2 Announcement Monday?
25. Re: RAGE 2 Announcement Monday? May 11, 2018, 16:40 MattyC

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 11, 2018, 15:24:
SirKnight wrote on May 11, 2018, 14:03:
Creston wrote on May 11, 2018, 13:36:
Will it still use the same shitty pop-in / ultra-low fidelity textures tech that was supposed to revolutionize gaming?

You do realize that Doom (2016) used the same tech but improved right? So why would Rage 2 (which of course will use the same id Tech 6 as Doom) go back to the original implementation of Megatextures?

Also, the high end for graphics memory in gpus when rage came out was like 512mb. Now we're pushing 6gb+ vram in gpus.

Unless I am remembering wrong, I had my 460 GTX back then and it had a gig and was decidedly a mid-range card. Though I don't think it would have mattered either way for Rage.

Ignoring the tech, it wasn't all bad. Just a sort of OK shooter.

EDIT: After seeing Acleacius mention the mid-2000s I had to look it up. I am indeed not crazy. It was released in late 2010.

News Comments > Get The Flame in the Flood for Free in Humble Spring Sale
7. Re: Get The Flame in the Flood for Free in Humble Spring Sale May 11, 2018, 04:36 MattyC

Cutter wrote on May 10, 2018, 23:47:
It's a good little time waster. It's definitely worth $5 - which I think I paid for it in an earlier bundle - so free is sweet. Music is really good in it.

Yeah, I haven't played a ton of it yet, but as far as games of this type? Flame in the Flood is probably one of my favorites there.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
15. Re: Op Ed May 9, 2018, 10:03 MattyC

LibertyOrDeath wrote on May 8, 2018, 15:27:
you would rather have career politicians, who have been caught lying multiple times, in power over successful people in the real world?

Ah ha ha ha! That is a bit rich for this early in the morning :p

News Comments > PUBG Codename: Savage Returns as Sanhok
1. Re: PUBG Codename: Savage Returns as Sanhok May 8, 2018, 08:25 MattyC

Savage’s new name: Sanhok (pronounced “sah-nok”). It’s grown on us quickly, and we hope all of you come to love it as much as we do!

I feel like I am either missing the joke or they are scraping the bottom of the barrel already because of Fortnight.

Hopefully it goes well. Competition in the gaming industry generally leads to better things for all of us.

News Comments > GeForce 1060 Hotfix
11. Re: GeForce 1060 Hotfix May 4, 2018, 19:07 MattyC

Kxmode wrote on May 4, 2018, 14:54:
Windows 10: Driver may get removed after PC has been left idle for an extended period of time.

Classic Windows. My personal favorite was a recent update that reset the Start icons. A happy little accident...

It didn't just reset the start icons. It also added a new column of them on my PC w/ stuff like Groove music, added something called Microsoft People to my task bar that I promptly removed, and reset several of my preferred applications back to the Microsoft defaults... It also took forever to install. I was not very happy that day.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch
27. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 4, 2018, 00:19 MattyC

CJ_Parker wrote on May 3, 2018, 09:46:
MattyC wrote on May 3, 2018, 06:09:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 2, 2018, 21:33:
but then that whole patent for pitting noobs against vet players

Any details on that? Not the patent, people will try to patent anything, but I don't remember anything like your post. After playing D1 and thinking it was a decent game I was planning on getting this after all the DLC settles and it goes on sale. Do you just mean in PvP?

Here is the related story or just google 'Activision matchmaking patent' if you prefer other/more sources.

That sounds rather like a design decision destined to fail...

News Comments > Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch
24. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2018, 06:09 MattyC

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 2, 2018, 21:33:
but then that whole patent for pitting noobs against vet players

Any details on that? Not the patent, people will try to patent anything, but I don't remember anything like your post. After playing D1 and thinking it was a decent game I was planning on getting this after all the DLC settles and it goes on sale. Do you just mean in PvP?

News Comments > Free Mini Ninjas
9. Re: Free Mini Ninjas May 3, 2018, 06:04 MattyC

Acleacius wrote on May 3, 2018, 01:55:
MeanJim wrote on May 3, 2018, 00:51:
Acleacius wrote on May 2, 2018, 22:44:
Fyi, just checked 'is there any deal' it's been on Steam for $1.49 and as mentioned positive reviews. I don't use SE service but might get it on Steam during some sale.

It's a free Steam key.
Cool, thanks! Thought they were starting their own service (as if we need another one).

Yeah, feel free to go ahead and pick it up. It isn't great, but it also isn't a bad game by any means.

You will just get an email with a Steam key. It could change at any time, obviously, but in my experience SE PC stuff has almost always been Steam or Uplay.

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Getting More Lore
3. Re: Heroes of the Storm Getting More Lore May 3, 2018, 06:02 MattyC

Kxmode wrote on May 2, 2018, 13:25:
HOTS has NO lore.

Eh, if they want to add some Nexus specific lore, that is fine by me. I am not really interested in it. They already all had lore, it was from the game(s) they appeared in. Besides, its just a multiplayer objective based game for giggles. I never needed lore for my TFC, UT, DoD, Tribes etc. Some guy on the other side had a flag (or possibly even multiple flags) and our team wasn't going to stand for that!

Story based single player games I do want to know why <X> or <Y> is happening and why my character should care, but in multi it is more like trying add lore to why the two pong paddles were throwing down.

News Comments > etc., etc.
10. Re: etc., etc. May 2, 2018, 02:08 MattyC

Shok wrote on May 1, 2018, 21:00:
if you have pain or abnormal bleeding, even in the most embarrassing part of your body, DON'T IGNORE IT

Everyone should note this.

I only know him from his reviews and casts, but I feel confident he was a great guy and this... just sucks.

News Comments > May Twitch Prime Freebies Released
1. Re: May Twitch Prime Freebies Released May 2, 2018, 01:51 MattyC

With all the times it has been offered for free (and just the fact that it was a great game) I am guessing everyone has Psychonauts. If not, you should get it.  

News Comments > Get F1 2015 for Free
8. Re: Get F1 2015 for Free Apr 28, 2018, 02:16 MattyC

theglaze wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 20:23:
Could be a workaround on her forums.

Did you try it plugged in or only wireless? I picked it up last time it was free and I remember using some Xbox controller. It could have been a 360 model though, I really didn't play much of it.

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
26. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 28, 2018, 02:11 MattyC

To me cash in and cash grab are pretty much the same thing when used in that way. I was replying to NK, I just didn't quite because it was the short post directly before mine. The second bit was in reply to "You mean unlike they have ever done before since they basically came into existence?" so it was mentioned multiple times.

I am not saying anything about a quick or long knockoff before a fad ends. That was my entire point. They take very safe routes with safe ideas and come up (usually at a glacial pace) with their own take on it. I would agree they play it super safe, but other than Heroes they were part of the surge in each. WarCraft & StarCraft are part of RTS history not some me-to. WoW didn't invent MMOs and Hearthstone didn't invent anything, but they brought both to a lot of new people.

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
23. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 28, 2018, 00:58 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 18:13:
MattyC wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:57:
VaranDragon wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:30:
MattyC wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:19:
Laugh2
As though Blizzard could make anything in time to cash in on a fad. W

You mean unlike they have ever done before since they basically came into existence?

Dune2 -> Warcraft
C&C -> Warcraft 2
Any MMO that came out before it -> World of Warcraft
Numerous Online card games -> Hearthstone
Numerous MOBAs -> HOTS

Yeah, basically the only original IP gameplay wise Blizzard have to their name is Diablo...

Because Westwood RTS games are identical in mechanics to Blizzard's and they what... used a time machine to make WarCraft 2 come out 2ish months (might even be less than that) after the game your saying it was a clone of?

I guess everyone should have stopped making shooters after Catacomb 3D? Everquest and Ultima Online were just trying to cash in on that sweet sweet Meridian 59 money?

Cash ins aren't where you start the fad, take it in a new direction, or just massively increase its exposure. If that is your point of view than basically every highly regarded game is nothing more than a cash grab and nothing has ever even been evolutionary, never mind revolutionary.

C'mon Matty, Blizzard has a long history of jumping late into a genre, polishing and streamlining it, and achieving massive commercial and critical success. It is known.

If you mean that they don't go out and start new genres I agree 100%. I wasn't objecting to that aspect.

If you mean that they just jump on cash grabs (which to me describes 0 effort, no improvement, just ya know.. get the cash) I have to disagree. I don't see crash grab and makes something better, more popular, or more polished as a lazy money gambit (yes, I know that *better* there is super subjective). I guess we just have to agree to disagree there.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Released
41. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 27, 2018, 16:04 MattyC

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 08:44:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 26, 2018, 01:47:
Flatline wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 16:18:
Edit: So considering that they're going through most of Jordan Weisman's old IP from the FASA days, is anyone else secretly hoping against hope they do Crimson Skies at some point?

That would be fantastic.

Im just glad someone did Battletech. Finally. Truly awesme game, Im 10 hours in and I feel like I've just scratched the surface.

I thought the super old Westwood one was pretty solid for its time, but yeah I am a big fan so far.

989 Comments. 50 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo