Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 752 (Graduate)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 14, 2016, 16:52 MattyC

Beamer wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 16:30:
MattyC wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 16:14:
I don't have anything that would run it, but OS 9 does have the best version of SimCity 2k which, IMO, is still the best SimCity

I can't speak to the OS9 vs Windows differences, nor did I play any of the subsequent SimCities, but yes, yes I agree, haha.

Generally it is just due to it being able to run at a higher resolution and looking 'prettier'. Plus the Windows version can be a PITA due to bits of 16 bit code that won't run anymore so most just go with the DOS version.

I think Maxis was still mostly a Mac first company at that point.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 14, 2016, 16:14 MattyC

I don't have anything that would run it, but OS 9 does have the best version of SimCity 2k which, IMO, is still the best SimCity  

News Comments > Paragon Adds New Hero
2. Re: Paragon Adds New Hero Sep 14, 2016, 04:32 MattyC

Osc8r wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 23:07:
who aren't that familiar with DOTA, LOL etc.

I don't know about the console crowd and I haven't had a chance to play this yet, but it could be welcome. I mean the market is saturated, but games like Heroes of the Storm that don't rely on that increasingly tired last hit mechanic and item buying might spark some interest. Probably not from me though...

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta
73. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Sep 1, 2016, 15:27 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2016, 15:01:
MattyC wrote on Sep 1, 2016, 03:46:
I was shocked that it ran on my woefully outdated system. i7 3GHz, 12gigs of RAM, GeForce 460 GTX 4GB... and well... it ran, well even.

The game is pretty fun but the tank respawn rate seems way too high for my taste.

I'd hardly call that outdated...

Core i5 going on 6 years old, GTX 670, 8 GB RAM, and it runs fine for me as well.

The 460 GTX was a great buy when I got it, but it is well below the minimum specs for the game, I really expected it to run poorly.

News Comments > Battlefield 1 Open Beta
67. Re: Battlefield 1 Open Beta Sep 1, 2016, 03:46 MattyC

I was shocked that it ran on my woefully outdated system. i7 3GHz, 12gigs of RAM, GeForce 460 GTX 4GB... and well... it ran, well even.

The game is pretty fun but the tank respawn rate seems way too high for my taste.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition Announced
5. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI 25th Anniversary Edition Announced Aug 24, 2016, 23:31 MattyC

Hm... I have to say, one of the first special editions to really interest me since I guess the StarCraft II ones.  

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
15. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 17:28 MattyC

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:55:
MattyC wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 16:35:
Jagacademy wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:55:
nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:50:
Simon Says wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:45:
Peeps... notice... no GPU needed, I suspect a streamed lag fest. Forget about textures and co. This is as shitty port'ish as it can get.

It's not a port, it's streaming, AKA Gaikai:

http://kotaku.com/sony-announces-game-streaming-service-playstation-now-1496385001

You just said exactly what he did.

Obviously I have never played around with this and when I played with Steam streaming it was for all of about 20 minutes, but I streamed Red Orchestra to some ancient laptop and it ran great and was very playable.

Also how would a stream be in any way comparable to a port?

Really?

I tried streaming A Wolf Among Us to an HP Stream (essentially a tablet in a laptop form factor, with full Windows 7) and it was stuttering garbage.

The only game I have tried so far was RO, but I could try some others.

The only version of Wolf I have is on the One from when it was one of that months free games though, so I can't try that.

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
8. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 23, 2016, 16:36 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 10:30:
MattyC wrote on Aug 22, 2016, 02:21:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 20:29:
Red light is also good for the eyes

Well hello Mr. Mid-2000s BWM interior designer! I would like to let you know that I despised your retina destroying death beam instrument panels.

Yeah, but they have to be visible during daylight too Blame em for not having a dimmer... but the idea in general was correct. Red light is not making you night blind. I mean, assuming you still have a retina

Well I did think they looked cool when I first saw them... but after that it was a relationship of hate.

News Comments > PlayStation Now Coming to PCs
10. Re: PlayStation Now Coming to PCs Aug 23, 2016, 16:35 MattyC

Jagacademy wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:55:
nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:50:
Simon Says wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 15:45:
Peeps... notice... no GPU needed, I suspect a streamed lag fest. Forget about textures and co. This is as shitty port'ish as it can get.

It's not a port, it's streaming, AKA Gaikai:

http://kotaku.com/sony-announces-game-streaming-service-playstation-now-1496385001

You just said exactly what he did.

Obviously I have never played around with this and when I played with Steam streaming it was for all of about 20 minutes, but I streamed Red Orchestra to some ancient laptop and it ran great and was very playable.

Also how would a stream be in any way comparable to a port?

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
6. Re: Saturday Consolidation Aug 22, 2016, 02:21 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 20:29:
Red light is also good for the eyes

Well hello Mr. Mid-2000s BWM interior designer! I would like to let you know that I despised your retina destroying death beam instrument panels.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 19, 2016, 00:45 MattyC

Pigeon wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 11:48:
USB Type-C-powered headphones can employ smart power management to, say, turn off the microphone when only the actual headphones are needed. That should help keep the effect on battery life to a minimum.

Features like noise canceling and special sound effects—such as making it sound like the recording is playing in a concert hall—are all possible over USB-C. Presumably, those features would be much cheaper to implement than they are now.

Finally, ditching analog connections for USB-C may also result in even thinner phones since handsets will lose not only the 3.5mm jack, but also the digital-to-analog circuitry required to support them. If phones do get thinner thanks to the end of the headphone jack, be sure to wear looser pants.

Is that the best they can come up with? Concert Hall sound effects and saving power by turning off the mic? First of all you can already add the crappy sound effects to your music, but nobody wants that cause it sounds like shit. Secondly how much power is saved by turning off the mic? I'm going to guess almost nothing.

The only valid point IMO, is saving room. I'm not wholly convinced the elimination of the audio jack will make a definable difference for the consumer, but it will probably save money in manufacturing; savings that are unlikely to be passed on. Further more I'd be willing to guess the type-c headphones will come with a price premium that isn't reflective of the actual audio quality you receive. Maybe I'm just jaded, but the lack of convincing arguments is setting off the, this is just a gimmick money grab, alarm.

I thought the whole point of removal was water resistance. I think I could be OK with that. If it is for any of this other stuff? No thanks. I mean nothing with open connections like that is going to be 'underwater ready', but the only selling point for me on removing ports would be adding a small amount of water resistance.

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront Death Star Details
6. Re: Star Wars Battlefront Death Star Details Aug 18, 2016, 02:10 MattyC

DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 22:21:
14.99 is what they charge for individual DLC, season pass is 49.99

And that is why even when stuff like this looks really neat I won't bite. SWBF has potential and it isn't even that weak of a base game... however it lacks content. And I am not going to pay for them to fix that when I already got it for full price at launch.

News Comments > Mass Effect Remasters Hint
21. Re: Mass Effect Remasters Hint Aug 17, 2016, 17:22 MattyC

Bug fixes are always welcome and I am certainly not against remasters (after all I am sure there are players who never got into the series), but honestly ME2 and 3 still hold up visually quite well.  

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Adding StarCraft Maps and Zarya
4. Re: Heroes of the Storm Adding StarCraft Maps and Zarya Aug 17, 2016, 03:29 MattyC

MT Silver wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 02:15:
Screw the maps, did you see they're adding Alarak?? Fucking glorious.

Hey now, I never said I wasn't excited to see Q coming. I just also thought the maps looked cool

News Comments > Heroes of the Storm Adding StarCraft Maps and Zarya
2. Re: Heroes of the Storm Adding StarCraft Maps and Zarya Aug 17, 2016, 00:10 MattyC

I know these are likely very early version clips and Blizzard moves at a glacial pace, but I have to admit those new maps look quite nice.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Aug 14, 2016, 07:07 MattyC

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 14, 2016, 06:02:
Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 14:10:
"Airline carriers make massive record profits, and struggle with aging technology."

Well, I guess we know where those massive record profits are coming from.

Do they really make massive record profits though? Here in Germany the airlines are pretty constricted when it comes to money, and competition is hard as hell. (You can fly nearly anywhere in Germany for around 50€)

I have no idea what airline profits are or are not, but that doesn't seem that low given the size of Germany. If it was much more than that, why would anyone bother to fly unless absolute speed was needed?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 12, 2016, 00:19 MattyC

Fion wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 13:46:
Pfffft.. I'm on TWC and I pay $50 for 20/1. Paying an extra $10 for triple the speeds sounds lovely.

You 20 down is rather slow, but you only get 1 up for $50/m? You need to contact The Hague or something. If that isn't some form of internet crime, it should be.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Begins
5. Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Moscow Begins Aug 12, 2016, 00:15 MattyC

Maybe I am alone here, but I would love to see an updated European Air War. I have very fond memories of stuff like Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and Aces of the Pacific, but EAW was just awesome.  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Sunday Consolidation Aug 2, 2016, 08:03 MattyC

Ecthelion wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 18:05:
nin wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 13:07:
Couldn't care less about the S itself, but the new controllers supporting bluetooth is nice. Got one of those on order...

Hmm, what were they before, WiFi? For that matter, what were the Xbox360 controllers? It's kind of weird that they wouldn't use Bluetooth when Nintendo has been using it since the Wii and Sony has been using it since the PS3...

They were a proprietary radio interface IIRC (for both). You could connect any of them via USB, but that obviously wasn't helpful if you wanted wireless.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 2, 2016, 08:00 MattyC

So don't leave us hanging... how did the fridge replacement go?  

752 Comments. 38 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo