Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 1150 (Pro)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
8. Re: Is Huawei a security threat? Seven experts weigh in. Actually, five experts and two senators. Mar 18, 2019, 03:13 MattyC

Simon Says wrote on Mar 18, 2019, 01:24:
MattyC wrote on Mar 17, 2019, 22:23:
However WinRAR does a lot more than 7 zip

I seriously doubt that... Explain?

It has up-to-date versions for more than just Windows (a lot more and this matters to people who use other operating systems, so big one). Has proper CLI support across those (instead of just what little p7zip has). Has full support for more archive and image formats. Additional encryption and self extraction options. I mean you have to ask me something more specific really. Otherwise with I am just going to be relisting info from their websites.

If you just need basic BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP, and 7's own capabilities for Windows then 7z is just fine and has been for a very long time. That was my point. If you want to do a bit more WinRAR has those options too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Is Huawei a security threat? Seven experts weigh in. Actually, five experts and two senators. Mar 17, 2019, 22:23 MattyC

Simon Says wrote on Mar 17, 2019, 16:32:
About WinRAR... people still use it? 7-zip replaced WinRAR/Winzip/Winace more than a decade ago.

Longer ago than that if just used it as a random zip replacement. However WinRAR does a lot more than 7 zip, most people just donít need to support that many archive, image, etc formats.

2. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Mar 17, 2019, 16:00 MattyC

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 17, 2019, 12:49:
Ok winrar, I'll upgrade you now.

In this case, being a software license holder actually has a surprising number of perks if you check the fine print!

News Comments > Battlefield V Firestorm This Month
6. Re: Battlefield V Firestorm This Month Mar 15, 2019, 09:30 MattyC

Osc8r wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 18:47:
TTK still 0.01 seconds?

What do you do in a game where people actually lose HP? BFV is insanely long. You can basically fight each other for days across a field hitting them 3-4 times every time they poke up and you doing the same. Even the sniper rifles, hit to the chest or side of the head? Nah, they are still good. They will even heal up before they pop out again so they can take repeat chest shots! It needs a hardcore mode if anything.

News Comments > Halo: The Master Chief Collection Coming to Windows
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 13, 2019, 04:32 MattyC

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 02:40:
Let me guess, Windows 10 exclusive? (Maybe even Windows 11 exclusive, depending on release date?)

Since they mention Steam, I don't think that is very likely. I would be fine with it though if it was xplatform play for all the co-op elements.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2019, 03:56 MattyC

AngelicPenguin wrote on Mar 11, 2019, 16:19:
Beamer wrote on Mar 11, 2019, 15:01:
Anyone watch Russian Doll on Netflix? I hate the lead actress. Hated every character. Found the show insanely entertaining.

Ya loved it. Originally found the lead annoying

I don't think I ever found it annoying, but it is safe to say I would probably not have watched it all if I had full access to the remote :p

And that would have been my loss! It ended up being pretty good.

News Comments > 350K+ Apex Legend Cheaters Banned
16. Re: 350K+ Apex Legend Cheaters Banned Mar 11, 2019, 10:53 MattyC

I imagine that EAC is useless, but not more than say PunkBuster or <x> other non working cheat detection.

That said these numbers seem rather high for a new game, or has that become normal now?

News Comments > Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow
19. Re: Diablo on GOG.com, More Blizzard Classics to Follow Mar 7, 2019, 15:35 MattyC

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 09:54:
So Blackthorne, too, yeah?

IIRC you can download that from Battle.net and have been able to for a while now.

EDIT: Yep, Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, and Rock n' Roll Racing are all up for free at https://us.battle.net/account/download/.

News Comments > Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Gets Maserati DLC
4. Re: Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 Gets Maserati DLC Mar 3, 2019, 12:30 MattyC

Creston wrote on Mar 2, 2019, 19:14:
Plenty to repair on Italian sports cars.

He was talking about Alfa Romeo rather than Maserati, but I half remember a Jeremy Clarkson quote that was something to the effect of "it is the greatest driving experience you will ever have! ...for about 7 and 1/2 seconds, and then it breaks down"

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Mar 2, 2019, 17:22 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2019, 16:26:
AR and VR need to move from what developers like to what consumers want.

Perhaps VR devs should consider
Other sources of
Revenue that people watch at
Night.

See what I did there?

Depressing nighttime.
before overpriced vr plays,
despite the headset?

Answer: Not really.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 28, 2019, 17:45 MattyC

So, Fitbit is closing in on double digit units shipped?!?

I kid, I am actually happy to see they are still around. I thought they went under with Pebble. I am not really a smart watch kind of guy, but competition is usually for the best.

News Comments > Rise of Legions Early Access
3. Re: Rise of Legions Early Access Feb 23, 2019, 14:59 MattyC

Jonjonz wrote on Feb 23, 2019, 06:31:
Another MOBA yawn.

No no! Don't you see? This is totally different. It is based on Castlefight, not DotA! Brand new!

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
4. Re: Evening Mobilization Feb 21, 2019, 20:38 MattyC

I don't know what flies in craphole countries like Maria-a-Legos (wherever that is), but here in America - 6 ain't that many Gs. I mean that ain't even 7 Gees. In this country we're gonna need at least 10, 12Gs easy. Maybe more! If Dodge can fit 10 Vs in a tiny little Viper, we aught to be able to fit way more Gs!!  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
13. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 20, 2019, 22:51 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Feb 20, 2019, 12:49:
MattyC wrote on Feb 20, 2019, 07:11:
I still hadn't finished S2, but I really liked S1 of TMitHC. Sad to see it go, though I didn't feel that S2 was ever as good as 1.

I will say that doesn't seem to leave them with much in the way of "must see" shows. Obviously, everyone is different, but for me the only thing left is The Grand Tour. I had high hopes for All or Nothing being like another 30 for 30, but eh, not so much, even with the New Zealand All Blacks season.

If you liked TMitHC, have you tried The Expanse? Full of political intrigue. In space, but very grounded.

Otherwise, sounds like you're really into (sports) documentaries?

Documentaries as a whole really. As long as they are properly researched.

They are still entertaining (to me anyway), but seem to have a much better wheat / chaff ratio than fiction. I'll have to check out The Expanse though, TY

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Feb 20, 2019, 22:48 MattyC

While WinRAR would be impacted, that isn't a WinRAR flaw. It has to do with ACE archives. Any windows based ACE archive software is likely impacted (though I have no idea how many of those exist anymore, it was never super popular).

EDIT: Any *nix versions should be based on the open source version of ACE libraries though and should be fine.

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2019, 23:16.

10. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 20, 2019, 07:11 MattyC

I still hadn't finished S2, but I really liked S1 of TMitHC. Sad to see it go, though I didn't feel that S2 was ever as good as 1.

I will say that doesn't seem to leave them with much in the way of "must see" shows. Obviously, everyone is different, but for me the only thing left is The Grand Tour. I had high hopes for All or Nothing being like another 30 for 30, but eh, not so much, even with the New Zealand All Blacks season.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 20, 2019, 04:15 MattyC

Time to horde some!  

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 19, 2019, 06:35 MattyC

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 19, 2019, 02:04:
Whats wrong with you people Punisher was awesome

Hey, I didn't say it was the worst show ever or anything :p

I don't know he never develops as a character at all. Only Iron Fist showed a less engaging character. He just kind of appears from time to time to graze on the scenery or make boom noises. I don't think Jon Bernthal is the most versatile to begin with, but I don't think this was on him. It was either the script, direction, or a combination of the two.

6. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 18, 2019, 23:20 MattyC

Cutter wrote on Feb 18, 2019, 20:05:
Both terrible shows so no surprise there.

Punisher was bad from start to finish (well nevermind finish, until I stopped watching). JJ was perfectly watchable. Not great or anything, but I never felt it was bad either.

Overall I think I enjoyed Daredevil the most, which oddly is the one I assumed they would mess up the most going in.

News Comments > SIGIL Delayed Until April
2. Re: SIGIL Delayed Until April Feb 17, 2019, 13:13 MattyC

Nice try, John. No game, no wiener.  

1150 Comments. 58 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo