Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Matt C

Real Name Matt C   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MattyC
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://mattyclutch.wordpress.com/
Signed On May 23, 2007, 03:50
Total Comments 1208 (Pro)
User ID 39012

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 22, 2019, 10:45 MattyC

I have never had a wallet that wasn't leather. I guess I have never ever bought a wallet either. They were always gifts. That said, what they are talking about can happen with anything metal pressed against leather. Other than a mini ruler / screwdriver card I haven't ever put anything that was metal, but not change, in a wallet...  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive
82. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 09:31 MattyC

Darks wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 18:54:
Again your are wrong, Steam when it started up was optional for publishers and developers to bring their games there. Back when Steam started up, we had box copies that games were installed though dvd's

All Steam did was bring us to the digital age with cloud.

So give me a break with your nonsense!

There, I gave you a break of the evening. I wasn't talking from a publisher point of view. I never even remotely leaned that way.

"Again your are wrong" no, you just tried to make an imaginary argument. The consumer had no choice when Steam rolled up (and they didn't have a "cloud" then either, not in any modern sens), they got Steam to get Steam's exclusives - which had been free mods until Valve picked them up as exclusives with cash. No difference to the end user, as I said. It was publishers making deals with the people with the game IP. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

You two are more than smart enough to setup your own straw men. You don't need to be trying to quote me into your specious flimflam.

52. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 21, 2019, 17:45 MattyC

Kxmode wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 16:57:
All your examples above are first-party exclusives. We're not talking about first-party exclusives so stop bringing it up as a talking point.

Who is we? You quoted me. I have pointed out since the beginning that is your arbitrary distinction which is exactly why I brought up those examples. It makes no difference to the end user, as I pointed out.

39. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 21, 2019, 16:03 MattyC

Kxmode wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 15:53:
MattyC wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 15:49:
Darks wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 13:56:
Say what? Your way off on this one. Steam is not exclusive. Developers could and always have had a choice to go GOG, or with UBI or Origin. both UBI and Origin created their own portal to sel their own IP created games. Other developers have also choosen to use both of those platforms while still using Steam as a selling platform.

Epic on the other hand is going all predator on their shadiness on how they are treating the game market with strict exclusive deals on EGS ONLY!!! Big difference!!

Steam was literally started as a Valve exclusive - it was their initive. In their case they bought up mods (CS, DoD, TF, GaryMod, etc) and started on their own, but that was exclusive. You had to use Steam. Origin has plenty of exclusives, and pulled games from Steam when they started. And EA didn't "create" all those IPs, they bought studios that had them, so no. Microsoft did it with the Xbox (Halo and Gears), Sony has done it. It is 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. SSDD.

First-party exclusives !== Third-party exclusives. You guys really need to understand the differences. There is plenty of content online that explains the differences.

It makes no difference in the end. You act like this was glossed over. See my post you quoted.

Did Bungie not go from Mac / PC to Xbox? Did EA not pack up its goodies and go home when they finished Origin (and ruined Westwood and Maxis)? Did Valve keep the old WON up and let people play Source games? No. You are making a completely arbitrary distinction. Cash got involved and things were made exclusive.

36. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 21, 2019, 15:49 MattyC

Darks wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 13:56:
Say what? Your way off on this one. Steam is not exclusive. Developers could and always have had a choice to go GOG, or with UBI or Origin. both UBI and Origin created their own portal to sel their own IP created games. Other developers have also choosen to use both of those platforms while still using Steam as a selling platform.

Epic on the other hand is going all predator on their shadiness on how they are treating the game market with strict exclusive deals on EGS ONLY!!! Big difference!!

Steam was literally started as a Valve exclusive - it was their initive. In their case they bought up mods (CS, DoD, TF, GaryMod, etc) and started on their own, but that was exclusive. You had to use Steam. Origin has plenty of exclusives, and pulled games from Steam when they started. And EA didn't "create" all those IPs, they bought studios that had them, so no. Microsoft did it with the Xbox (Halo and Gears), Sony has done it. It is 6 in one, half a dozen in the other. SSDD.

22. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 21, 2019, 13:50 MattyC

roguebanshee wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 12:24:
Xero wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 12:03:
MattyC wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 11:17:
Xero wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 11:11:
I'll sum up what they were trying to say in a "humble" manner. They were paid more money to be an EGS exclusive and took the bait.

Man, I hate EGS so bad. What a sh!t e-store competition it's become. They're logic has just turned into, let's snag as many exclusives as possible to force people to buy from us.

Um, how exactly did you think publishers worked previously?

Getting their content on as many stores of their choosing as possible provided the store allows it.
And any publisher with their own store wants to drive traffic to that store over any competition. Epic is essentially the publisher for the indies that decide to go for an Epic exclusivity deal.

Winner.

If Steam, Origin, etc are going to have exclusives (which they do) then anyone else who wants to be in that tier has to do the same.

Would it make you happier if Epic just went and bought those studios outright? That is what used to (well, still does) happen.

3. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 21, 2019, 11:17 MattyC

Xero wrote on Aug 21, 2019, 11:11:
I'll sum up what they were trying to say in a "humble" manner. They were paid more money to be an EGS exclusive and took the bait.

Man, I hate EGS so bad. What a sh!t e-store competition it's become. They're logic has just turned into, let's snag as many exclusives as possible to force people to buy from us.

Um, how exactly did you think publishers worked previously?

News Comments > Apex Legends Developers vs. Gamers Flamewar
17. Re: Apex Legends Developers vs. Gamers Flamewar Aug 19, 2019, 11:53 MattyC

Cutter wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 22:21:
Veinman wrote on Aug 18, 2019, 19:28:
lol at gamer entitlement for a free game.

This ^^^. I missed the part where all these outraged players had a gun to their head forcing them to buy those lootboxes. Jesus, Mary, and Glavin! It's a free fucking game! How else do you suggest they make money?

Well, I saw at least one post that referred to the skin prices as “extortion”, so maybe guns are involved? I am not really sure, but that community seems to be trying really hard to make those developer insults somehow seem measured and professional...

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 19, 2019, 03:24 MattyC

ERBH is a thing again? Nice! For some reason I thought they had retired it for good.  

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Aug 18, 2019, 03:15 MattyC

WaltC wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 15:48:
the HETEROSEXUAL community."

We have a community?!? And did we vote on this all caps thing? I'd really rather we didn't do that, but I guess a vote is a vote...

News Comments > Rust Axing Linux Client; Offering Refunds
9. Re: Rust Axing Linux Client; Offering Refunds Aug 18, 2019, 02:55 MattyC

MeanJim wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 20:23:
How incompetent are they if they can get the Windows and Mac builds to work together, but not the Linux build ?

Linux is a different beast from a development and testing standpoint. Think of all the distros and how they can be incredibly different.

Windows is Windows and OS X is BSD with a pretty UI and an app store.

It sounds to me like they are trying to do the right thing as much as possible.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
5. Re: Saturday Patches Aug 18, 2019, 01:54 MattyC

jdreyer wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 21:58:
MattyC wrote on Aug 17, 2019, 20:36:
I am not really sure why that would be your first thought. I mean, has that been a concern? In 2019 when you can get a 10TB drive off Amazon or whatever for $200, are we being overwhelmed by the size of saved games? Confused
Except that no one puts their install of Skyrim on a 5400 rpm 10tb drive.

Actually you can find 7200 RPM ones around that price point now. That hardly matters though, the only place you would keep save games long enough for their size to really matter would be backups.

I mean I still use a tiny 256GB SSD for whatever I am actively playing and I don't think I have ever thought "Curse these massive saves! I will have to get a bigger drive!" not to mention (though I understand if you don't use them) Steam and the like have had cloud saves for a while now. If you do have it installed checkout Enderal Forgotten Stories. Somehow I missed hearing about it until just recently. Pretty impressive work.

EDIT: I was curious since I do have it installed. I have 6 saves, 45MB. That is actually even smaller than I thought.

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2019, 02:48.

News Comments > Saturday Patches
3. Re: Saturday Patches Aug 17, 2019, 20:36 MattyC

I am not really sure why that would be your first thought. I mean, has that been a concern? In 2019 when you can get a 10TB drive off Amazon or whatever for $200, are we being overwhelmed by the size of saved games? Confused  

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Comeback Follow-up
6. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Comeback Follow-up Aug 17, 2019, 00:23 MattyC

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 21:26:
Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 21:21:
I was hoping that when he bowed out that he would stay out. The games industry has moved on and it just doesn't seem that there's a place for him anymore.
you wanna stay down

That was exactly the movie I hoped it would be from! Excited but then not the right scene

Here we go.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 13, 2019, 16:00 MattyC

Python is great. I just can't wait until v2.x is put out of its misery.

If I was going to push for a language though, I would probably go with Rust, specifically because it (in theory) will avoid that exact type of deprecation / splintering with Cargo.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding
5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Aug 13, 2019, 15:52 MattyC

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2019, 22:37:
This has to be a scam. How the fuck do you make an MMO for 30 grand.

Well luckily they have over 60k now! Yeah a VR MMO on 25k (because it wasn't even 30...) is not happening. Lets see - a few VR setups, some servers/AWS/Azure/whatever, annnnddddd the moneys gone.

They are off to a good start though. I see some concept art and it looks like someone made a model of the flying noodle shop from The Fifth Element. I take that back, I see no possible way for this to fail!

News Comments > Gone Gold - Gears 5
17. Re: Gone Gold - Gears 5 Aug 13, 2019, 01:06 MattyC

Bumpy wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 11:24:
Slick wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 22:07:
Gears 1 was really cool, and an amazing showcase for the tech of it's time. Seems like's fallen by the wayside considerably... same cookie-cutter gameplay, and same UE3-looking graphics. No offense to fans.

As I watched the trailer, I was thinking the same exact thing.

Gears did look great at the time. However what you are talking about now is tainted by rose tinted glasses. Gears 1, by more modern standards, is kind of washed out and very low res as far as textures go.

If you think shots of UE4 and addons with UHD textures look like the game from 13 years ago, you may want to book an appointment with your preferred optometrist.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Aug 10, 2019, 23:44 MattyC

Cutter wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 14:44:
Last gangster hurrah for Pesci, DeNiro, Pacino and Scorcese? Looks pretty good at any rate.

Unless I am mistaken this has been in the works FOR-EV-ER, so yeah I going in with high hopes.

14. Re: Gone Gold - Gears 5 Aug 10, 2019, 23:26 MattyC

Rhett wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 08:55:
MattyC wrote on Aug 10, 2019, 01:48:
Rhett wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 21:19:
A lot of PC owners haven't been able to play for over a year

Explain.

Horde and co-op are really the only reasons I love Gears, but they regularly deliver on those fronts and as long as I stick with those two modes I have fun. At any rate, what issues are you having? Like you can't play at all? I haven't seen or heard anything quite like that.

It's typically referred to as the "black screen crash" or "black screen after logo". There's lots of supposed fixes, but myself and two other people I know both tried everything we could find and couldn't get it working, and it's been a problem for a long time. Devs acknowledged it, said they were working with NVidia, and then nothing changed and it was never brought up again.

Some of the things you even have to do to "fix" it are absurd, like start downloading another app or game from the Microsoft store, or redownload the game (it's 120GB! and there's no 'verify' option like on Steam or other launchers). I haven't personally been able to play since the first year the game launched. People with 10-series cards apparently have even more problems, though I have a 970.

I have a 1060 and I haven't had any problems with it *knocks on wood*, but that stinks and is pathetic on the customer service front. At least 2k sent me an email when their piracy protection maleware turned my day 1 physical copy of BioShock into a very expensive coaster. They didn't just leave me wondering for a year.

I have had an issue with the MS store being stupid though. I needed to delete, redownload, and reinstall Forza Horizon 4 twice. Prior to that third install (third times the charm? ) it would just load a JPG of the game's art. I couldn't make that up, if you Google around you'll find it wasn't even that uncommon.

6. Re: Gone Gold - Gears 5 Aug 10, 2019, 01:48 MattyC

Rhett wrote on Aug 9, 2019, 21:19:
A lot of PC owners haven't been able to play for over a year

Explain.

Horde and co-op are really the only reasons I love Gears, but they regularly deliver on those fronts and as long as I stick with those two modes I have fun. At any rate, what issues are you having? Like you can't play at all? I haven't seen or heard anything quite like that.

1208 Comments. 61 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo