Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Luke

Real Name Luke   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Task
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 29, 2007, 09:10
Total Comments 2991 (Senior)
User ID 37119

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Sudden Strike 4 Released

4. Re: Sudden Strike 4 Released Aug 11, 2017, 19:15 Task

Alright - now I had time to load it up.

----
* Runs and loads great (and fast on my machine)
* No crashes so far (but only played one mission)
* Looks and sounds awesome

Same style of game as SS1 and 2 (I've never played SS3, so I don't know if any features carried over from that one)
- You still don't build units (only receive reinforcements if the mission was designed that way)
- Units behave the same (infantry have greater view distance and need to be utilized as forward observers to help spot for Tanks)
- 'Repair Vehicles' still have the same functions including building pontoon bridges if a bridge gets destroyed
- All infantry and vehicles still have limited ammunition supply and require resupply from a ammo/repair vehicle if you have one (you can also find ammo dumps that the 'enemy' units utilize)
- You can still capture field guns if you kill the infantry operating them
- Campaigns are the same as the previous games, actually the very same setup as SS1 "German" "Soviet" and "Allied" (limited briefing with a general overview on what you need to do, but are based on historical battles)
- Mission Ratings are the same (1 to 3 stars based on your performance)

Additions/differences:
- If infantry are not engaged they heal automatically (at least on Normal difficulty), however if they are critically wounded they require a Medic (medic infantry unit is new)
- You can now kill the crew inside a tank if you penetrate the armor and do not hit the ammunition (causes a complete explosion/totaled vehicle). You can also unload a tank crew from a tank at any time and Also you can then capture 'crew-killed' tanks for use.
- If you select infantry and tanks and move them together, they now move at the same speed and stay in formation (you can also modify formation)
- Right click is used more for an action rather than left-click like the old games
- You can now use Real Time Pause
- Objectives are more 'clear' as to when you actually complete them (at least in SS1, objectives never mark as 'complete')
- Infantry automatically hunker down in heavier cover (like trees or tall grass)
- Vehicles now require fuel
- Tanks have commander hatches you can open to increase a tank's view distance (obviously leaves commander vulnerable)

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2017, 19:42.

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sudden Strike 4 Released

3. Re: Sudden Strike 4 Released Aug 11, 2017, 18:42 Task

I pre-ordered it, but haven't had time today to load it up yet. All I can say is from the videos right now it looks exactly like Sudden Strike 1 and 2, mechanically wise with some extra refined features. You do not build units at all in the originals, and need to know how to use every single unit given to you effectively - A Sniper unit, for instance has the most 'view' distance and can be used to take out forward positions like Artillery or AT guns. Where-as tanks have short view distance, shorter than AT guns and need infantry or a sniper to tag along with them to 'increase' their view distance so they can shoot at their maximum range otherwise they will die easily against well-hidden/dug-in units.

I'm currently going through SS1 now and it is brutally difficult - which is definitely how I remember it way back in 2001 when I tried it once (I believe the first German mission) and quit with the first mission because of the difficulty. Now that I'm playing it again with a different mind sight and learning the intricacies of the original game, its the addictive kind of difficulty where I feel I need to play just a little bit longer to complete the real meat-grinder missions.

News Comments > War Tech Fighters Announced

3. Re: War Tech Fighters Announced Aug 5, 2017, 09:02 Task

Sort of like Gundam, but not. Now there was an actual Gundam game based on the original series with combined warfare stuff, that would be cool (piloted more than just Gundams or Zakus).  

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed

13. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Jul 31, 2017, 22:21 Task

Hopefully after that, the Mark Hamill singleplayer comes out.  

News Comments > More Free Games with GOG Preorders

3. Re: More Free Games with GOG Preorders Jul 29, 2017, 17:48 Task

An interest to someone surely - I have my eye on that Sudden Strike deal. All 3 original games, plus their expansions, plus the new game for 42.49. Not Bad, that's a lot Game man.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

7. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 27, 2017, 08:41 Task

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 27, 2017, 07:36:
Cutter wrote on Jul 26, 2017, 23:09:
Fuck man, anyone who can get out of Russia now needs to while they still can. I imagine it's not much longer until the Iron Curtain goes back up. It'll be the bad ol' days of the USSR but under the oligarchs which is even worse.

If Russia were left to the oligarchs it would quickly become a client state of the USA. I guess you missed the last ten years or so of Putin's stamping out of the baron capitalists who wanted nothing more than implement the conservative dream of "free market" capitalism.

This is why I scoff at people who keep suggesting that Trump is some kind of Putin's crony. Trump makes Putin look good, he cares nothing about US national interests, apart from lining his own pockets, which plays right into Putin's hands.

Trying to explain that to Cutter, who's beliefs are across the board is somewhat futile and search for Russian boogeymen under their bed as if they still living in a Cold War Era. Most people have little clue what struggles Russia and their people have gone through with the fall of the Soviet Union.

News Comments > Game Reviews

2. Re: Game Reviews Jul 24, 2017, 19:48 Task

God Approves it, must be legit.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 24, 2017, 19:47 Task

Sounds like she is in shock and may not have seen someone die before. In the video it looks like her sister's head had severe trauma and she kept telling her to "wake up." Unfortunate that it happened, but that's fate. Don't drive while using your cellphone.  

News Comments > etc., etc.

1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 21, 2017, 18:36 Task

That HL2 documentary is pretty cool - lot's of information in there I never knew about.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Nazis Trailer

2. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Nazis Trailer Jul 20, 2017, 21:12 Task

Return to Castle Wolfenstein 2017 Multiplayer, interesting  

News Comments > Splash Damage and Wargaming Collaboration

8. Re: Splash Damage and Wargaming Collaboration Jul 18, 2017, 18:33 Task

jdreyer wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 17:09:

Still I get your point: a good standalone game is much preferred over free to play.

Always. There's also just something good about that feeling of ownership of a non-f2p title. I get way more out of such games than I ever have a f2p game.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday

13. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 15:17 Task

Orogogus wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 15:08:
I think the challenge was a lot lower back in the day just because the terrain in MW2 (and 3) was so flat, making animation less of an issue. Still, there are games that have 4-legged walkers. I know the latest EDF game had one, and that game has hilly terrain and caves to deal with. And there are Star Wars games with AT-ATs, although I don't think they go walking over any hills.

Yes I know. If you haven't though check out the latest Q&A video from HBS. I think that animator has the best answer for when presented with a challenge - just go for it and get as far as you can before hitting that wall. I don't know what EDF is btw.

12. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 15:12 Task

Orogogus wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 14:17:
Primalchrome wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:40:
Much better even in beta than the old MechAssault games.

Do you mean MechCommander? Comparing to MechAssault seems about as relevant as comparing to... I don't know, the card game.

I still don't understand why people give MechAssault a bad rap. It wasn't supposed to be the pinnacle of canon - it was simply a console game with BattleTech Mechs in it, and from understanding, it was a top pick for XBox owners and well rated by them. And that other game MechCommander is considered on the only and best "RTS" versions of BattleTech Related-Things™.

In the usual fashion though, people that still play MWO still seem to get defensive. I don't like playing it or having to grind hours on end like a lemming, that's all. I want all Mechs for 50$ and the ability to mod, which is basically what I'm getting with HBS BattleTech, so at least that's something.

10. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 14:51 Task

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 14:04:
Task wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:29:
Regards to this thread, one thing that would genuinely impress me with MWO is if they actually added a Scorpion or Goliath. There has been no quad in MW game since 2.

Getting the animation worked out so the Quads would move without looking stupid? Good luck with that.

Um, ok? Challenge accepted. Someone has made a scorpion model for BT and they are hoping to import it in - just needs animation (the tricky part). In the BT Q&A (going off topic again), one of the animators said don't discount a Mech like a Scorpion, because to her its an interesting challenge as an animator. It's better to think like that imo. Back in the day of MW2, since it was a premium game, they added the Scorpion for "fun" and for the challenge of coding a 4 legged 'Mech.

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 11:29 Task

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 11:08:
I just took a look at the link in your sig, that's some pretty cool stuff going on.

Indeed. It's going to be crazy once the full game is out.

Regards to this thread, one thing that would genuinely impress me with MWO is if they actually added a Scorpion or Goliath. There has been no quad in MW game since 2.

4. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 09:41 Task

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 08:37:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 17, 2017, 07:31:
I am surprised this game is still running. I would have thought by now the whales would have left for new horizons.

The longer this game runs, the more BattleMechs are available for HBS's BattleTech game. For that reason alone I wish MWO the greatest success.

That's one point, however they (the BattleTech HBS game community) figured out how to add custom 3D models into BattleTech and other cool stuff. And that is pretty amazing considering the game is just in Beta and we have this knowledge available already. You can export models from 3DSmax, Blender, etc. into the model format Unity uses. So regardless if MWO continues or not, missing Mechs will be added over time so the BattleTech game will be quite literally Open Season for modding. Personally I think that's a positive thing, since relying on a completely different game for 3D models just isn't going to cut it when some of us want stuff like Scorpions and Stingers.

That means there could be loads of custom content in the future of that game. And that has me kind of excited, since for the first time in 10 years, I'm reading up on tutorials again for 3D modeling, animating, etc.

2. Re: MechWarrior Online Patch Tuesday Jul 17, 2017, 08:36 Task

Well same as any f2p that someone is addicted to. Sort of like gambling (doing something over and over) once you have hundreds or thousands invested in doing it, they get hooked into the same endless cycle. In this case for MWO, I think it's also a case of the remaining high spenders being highly afraid this game is the 'last' multiplayer-MW-esque thing (even if its a shoddier version of MW4 multiplayer).  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 8, 2017, 10:19 Task

Pence saying and thinking Mars and the Cosmos are essentially for 'American Boots' is more funny to me than that Do Not Touch thing, when its really an International mission.  

News Comments > Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled

3. Re: Unannounced Five Nights at Freddy's Game Cancelled Jul 3, 2017, 12:10 Task

Pizza Tycoon sounds like fun.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2017, 11:06 Task

#remembertheMarsChildren lol. I needed a good laugh this morning, now to make brunch.  

2991 Comments. 150 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >