Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Luke

Real Name Luke   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Task
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 29, 2007, 09:10
Total Comments 2991 (Senior)
User ID 37119

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Video Teases New Biomes

6. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Video Teases New Biomes Mar 15, 2018, 17:37 Task

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 17:03:
Task wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 16:45:
MW5 Pitch video from Smith&Tinker.

For example, it's 2018 with VR headsets and we still can't have a MechWarrior game with 360 viewing in a NeuroHelmet and stuck looking out a single cockpit window. At least the previous games had rear and side cameras programmed in freakin' 1995.

This is my current major beef with MWO, why no VR?

As for the video, I remember that but it looks so clunky and non-fluid. The idea of big buildings to hide around is not exactly innovative as they have to have a way of piloting well and having a fluid movement system. Also, they need melee but it's very hard to put into a game like this.

I also laugh because in the year 3015 optics are worse than 2018.

I believe people found ways to use Oculus Rift with MWO, but there is no point to it in most Mechs like an Atlas with no side windows and there are no external cameras to look at. But yeah, a new MW game would seem like a prime candidate for full VR functionality and the fisheye view. Mobile Suit Gundam, the anime, has a similar concept where all the viewing windows are actually more like monitors that the pilot looks at.

BattleTech (the canon setting): "Most 'Mech cockpits are completely enclosed, with the pilot observing the outside world through through their viewscreens rather than vulnerable openings. Some 'Mechs though, particularly older models, do have viewports protected by transparent material to allow an unobstructed view, much like an aircraft's canopy." (so even though some Mechs have bubble canopies, the pilots still can utilize a neurohelmet which also can have viewscreens with a 360 degree compressed into a 160 degree fish eye like view)

The buildings thing you mentioned though, not sure that's 'innovation' as so much as atmosphere and scaling Mechs to those buildings that just seems to look more real in a City setting?

TRO: YAVM Mod for BattleTech
Weapon Diversity Mod for BattleTech
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2018, 16:55 Task

Ah it's sanction season again, economic terrorism by another name. And also, they don't work. What strange times we live in where "trolls" and "spies" are 'sanctioned.'  

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Video Teases New Biomes

3. Re: MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Video Teases New Biomes Mar 15, 2018, 16:45 Task

When I read "extensive modding" I was like Thinking2 and then realized being that this is PGI this could be a sign of "please fix our game for $60" which I am predicting is going to be the case - Early Access would be a best guess. There's no way this is ready for 2018.

Frankly this looks far less innovative than the MW5 concept from many years ago now. Nothing has really excited me at all from any of this 'Neu-MW5' - I don't know what it is, and its not just that PGI is making this, but it just looks to lack a lot from the more interesting games back in the day MW2, MW3, and MW4. Where is the radar if any? Why does the gameplay have to be so similar to MWO? Why is PGI obsessed with jumpjets that only go up and down like a pogostick instead of in all directions like in BattleTech? It looks so pedantic, bland, lacking in 'atmosphere', and over-simplified like they are afraid of taking risks. Are there cutscenes and voice-acting even? Here's the original MW5 Pitch video from Smith&Tinker.

For example, it's 2018 with VR headsets and we still can't have a MechWarrior game with 360 viewing in a NeuroHelmet and stuck looking out a single cockpit window. At least the previous games had rear and side cameras programmed in freakin' 1995.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2018, 17:00.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Trailer

15. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Mar 15, 2018, 09:15 Task

pacbowl wrote on Mar 15, 2018, 01:21:
I used to play tabletop Battletech back in the day. Can't wait for this.

It plays like tabletop, sort of, but a lot of the advanced rules are not in use. You can't go prone with a Mech, dump ammunition, grab objects, no rear mounted weapons, etc. Of course, that's not to say they won't add those things in the future or someone might mod it in, who knows. I requested if they could at least add dump ammunition, since Mechs that are ammo dependent are powder kegs once armor is gone. Overall I was satisfied with the simplified tabletop they had in Beta, even if advanced features/rules that I play with in MegaMek are not present or not yet present.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup

5. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 14, 2018, 08:38 Task

jdreyer wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 01:47:
What I really want to see is a Hexen or Heretic remake.

Amid Evil, early access on steam

News Comments > Valve Plans to Make Games

31. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 17:08 Task

One of those games is Artifact, right? That looks pretty interesting actually, for those into card games.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2018, 13:40 Task

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:40:
Task wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 10:46:
I do enjoy the 1998 version for...

...Mimi Rogers in a skintight outfit.

Perhaps you're speaking for your Mimi Rogers fetish lol. It's not a great movie by any stretch, but I watch it from time to time like I do the Fifth Element (although that's far better), plus it has Joey from Friends doing stuff in Spaaaace saying dumb things to Heather Graham's character and that awesome creature costume that Gary Oldman's character turns into. You know, mindless entertainment.

News Comments > White House Game Summit Recap

5. Re: White House Game Summit Recap Mar 9, 2018, 11:28 Task

"Culture of violence" is trickle down my dear politicians. Dysfunction in society, dysfunction of government, in one of the more militaristic violent Empire's of Modern times on Earth might be a problem no? But that's too taboo man.

Games already have the ESRB, its the sellers job to check age and it is also the parent's responsibility.

Once upon I time I used to be more gung ho and pro on guns, not really so much anymore. My father is a hunter, but gun safety was drilled into me. There definitely needs to be something done with restrictions, better requirements would be good too (a requirement for gun safety/ownership courses for example shown on a license - don't have it, too bad better luck next time). Some states require registration with the police (which from what I read the U.K. does as a whole where you submit to them a reason for ownership, hunting, a shooting range club, collector, etc.).

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 9, 2018, 10:46 Task

Ok? Looks light years better than Lost in Space from 1998. Although to be fair, I do enjoy the 1998 version for the schlock that it is every now and then.  

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released

8. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Released Mar 9, 2018, 09:10 Task

Looks neat  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 8, 2018, 23:37 Task

Personally I think the nicknames Barbecued Brutus, Agent Orange, Trumplethinskin, Dubious Caesar, Orange Caligula, or Fuckface von Clownstick are are more fitting than Drumpf, which rolls off the tongue weird.  

News Comments > White House Games Summit Details

6. Re: White House Games Summit Details Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 Task

Cutter wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 11:14:
Someone just needs to make a VR pussygrabbing game for him and he'll change his tune.

Already exists. It's called VRChat.

News Comments > Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed

20. Re: Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods Revealed Mar 6, 2018, 10:21 Task

Slashman wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 08:32:
I don't get the fixation on Legendary items before they are supposed to drop and I don't think the game is particularly boring to start if you play on veteran. The game has a ton of optional content such that you can vary each playthrough significantly if you include hidden quests, roguelike dungeons, optional areas and bounties.

Same here, I don't particularly care if I don't get some super item thing in an ARPG. I just play them for a challenge and the fun of it. With D1, D2, and D3 I played them literally once to complete the single player and that was it. But understandably people play these aRPGs for differing reasons. I don't have Grim Dawn, but if the SP is pretty challenging/meaty I might consider trying this game - full price $24.99 sounds reasonable if there is lot's of content.

News Comments > On CHRONO TRIGGER PC Issues

12. Re: On CHRONO TRIGGER PC Issues Mar 6, 2018, 09:23 Task

*shrug* Just stick with the original copies if you have them?

I own the Final Fantasy Chronicles collection, which comes with the PS1 Chrono Trigger version. I also have it backed up on iso for use on my RPi3 and the SNES ROM.

News Comments > Evening Previews

4. Re: Evening Previews Mar 3, 2018, 09:54 Task

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2018, 23:03:
Waiting for Christian Gamer review of this beauty.

Judging by their reviews of Far Cry 2 and 3 (Blood Dragon) (very low 'morality' scores), I don't think it'll be much different for 5.

News Comments > Into the Black

7. Re: Into the Black Mar 3, 2018, 09:49 Task

Looks unique to me, like old school 18th Century hairdos. I imagine it would be a lot rounder, like an afro, without the hairpins she uses.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

18. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2018, 10:03 Task

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 23:23:

I assume she submitted the script for the pilot?

Also from her Twitter feed:

So much hate today from those telling me I'm going to destroy #TheWitcher. It's sad that these people don't follow me. They aren't versed on anything but one or two tweets that someone has posted on some website, without context, leading to utter hysteria.

To which I can say, Welcome to the Internet!

Sorry, yeah the script for the pilot.

News Comments > Trump Calls Game Meeting

25. Re: Trump Calls Game Meeting Mar 2, 2018, 10:00 Task

Saboth wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 22:14:
The man needs to be removed from office before he destroys our economy.

While I agree, the U.S. economy has slowly decayed for a few decades now. A slow motion cliff dive or kicking the can down the road. There's also this report that suggests the Fed won't be able to bail out anything during a next recession.

Trumps "Budget" Summarized

Older article but good, Why the US has really gone broke (tldr, High Military Spending Drains Innovation, Investment and Manufacturing Strength from the Civilian Economy)

The multiple still ongoing military 'adventures' debt will be thrown onto the shoulders of our children and their children and so on. I think in at least a couple more generations though the U.S. will probably go through a change as younger generations take over and try something new.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2018, 17:07 Task

Hey ya'll, some more news on the Witcher Netflix. Lauren S. Hissrich posted today the submission of the pilot for season 1 to Netflix. She also confirmed the short stories starting in Last Wish and Sword of Destiny will be presented instead of jumping straight to Blood of Elves. Smart move considering they give more context to the characters introduced in Blood of Elves.

From her twitter, "The short stories will be represented, and there will be lots of blood and gore!" She had a teaser photo in response with the Last Wish at her hip. There's also new character tweets, one of which is Yarpen which might confirm the short story "The Bounds of Reason"

News Comments > Into the Breach Released

12. Re: Into the Breach Released Feb 28, 2018, 14:56 Task

jdreyer wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 13:48:
Task wrote on Feb 28, 2018, 09:33:
Got it as well on Humble Bundle - been playing FTL recently too, 22 hrs logged over recent weeks and I died everytime as per usual :o. The perfect game to take with me on my Macbook Pro and this one runs fine on it too after quickly testing it last night.

Dying too much: what difficulty? Where are you dying: beginning, middle, end? I always go for Shields and engines first. Preventing damage is so much cheaper than fixing it. Never hesitate to get a burst laser 2. Combined with a beam weapon and judicious use of the pause button, it's a devastating pair.

I find that my laptop runs FTL fine, but that it sucks battery life, moreso than similar games like GSB. Hopefully ItB is better optimized.

I bring my plug for the laptop, but anyways I'm just bad at the game, bad luck, bad decisions. I generally know what I do wrong though. I've been watching VanguardOfValor to get better. One key thing I never did before was just stop to pause more often, pausing is definitely key.

2991 Comments. 150 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >