Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 473 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

News Comments > Vigilantes vs. Fallout 76 Dupers
23. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 16, 2019, 23:10 Stormsinger

Kxmode wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 22:49:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 18:53:
Artificial life forms have been created, specifically by manipulating DNA (and in at least one other case, by extending DNA with two new "letters" to the DNA language). Admittedly, those lifeforms do very little, but their creation is definite proof that we can indeed exploit DNA.

Messing around with DNA in a synthetic fashion leads to errors and unnatural base pairs, which requires a ton of testing and corrections. That's not exploiting. That's hacking and proves the point about human-written code versus DNA code. DNA by itself - free of human manipulation - is impeccable, and because it is, cannot be exploited.

So...all you got a No True Scotsman? And here I thought you were actually trying to say something. Guess I can't always be right.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 16, 2019, 18:53 Stormsinger

Kxmode wrote on Jan 16, 2019, 16:17:
The DNA exploitation I'm talking about is structural changes to the code to produce different results, like letting humans have six fingers or three eyes. Humans cannot exploit DNA to achieve these results. But they can use flaws in game code to duplicate items in online games. That's what I meant by DNA code being flawless versus human-written code.
Artificial life forms have been created, specifically by manipulating DNA (and in at least one other case, by extending DNA with two new "letters" to the DNA language). Admittedly, those lifeforms do very little, but their creation is definite proof that we can indeed exploit DNA.

7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 14, 2019, 22:00 Stormsinger

Kxmode wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 21:38:
If someone were studying macro-psychology, this would be the PERFECT game to see its natural growth. Here we see the genesis of an online society naturally trying to establish rules from lawlessness from the people and for the people. It shows that even in an online game world full of gamers you have all types of people: the regular people who want to play the game in relative peace, the criminals who want to cheat and defraud the system with impunity, the defenders who protect the innocent, and the "judges" who take things too far. Awesome stuff.
You say "criminals", I say "sadists". There's a difference between cheating and defrauding the "system" versus intentionally hurting people specifically to make them angry. I've no use whatsoever for people who get their kicks by pissing off others.

It's a major part of why I don't do online games anymore...they sure bring out the ugly.

2. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 14, 2019, 19:48 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2019, 19:47:
Fallout76 is buttered popcorn.

Sounds like UO all over again...let's let the players police the griefers, I'm sure it'll work this time!

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 11, 2019, 19:10 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 15:33:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 11, 2019, 11:36:
Listening to a CEO explain how they would have to charge more for their stuff if they could not SELL YOU was painful. I'd rather watch a presidential address.

Well, it's hard to blame him for taking free money. However, it's a pain to block all of those IPs on my router.
I don't have the slightest problem blaming him for his company's unethical behavior.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 9, 2019, 20:16 Stormsinger

It's getting kind of hard to tell the difference between statements from AT&T and those from Trump. Both of them lie virtually every time they open their mouths (a figurative mouth for AT&T, of course). I guess AT&T can at least claim to be able to actually steal make money, rather then stumble from one bankruptcy to another.  

News Comments > Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required
50. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 9, 2019, 20:11 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 22:05:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 21:39:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:52:
What the fuck, Win10 only? Ugh. My gaming desktop is still Win8.1 ... ridiculous artificial requirement.
Personally, I'm happy they're making it easy to continue my boycott of EA games. Now it doesn't matter how interesting the game might, or might not appear...because I will NOT be running any more MS operating systems. That ship has sailed, I'll give up gaming entirely first. And that's giving up a nearly 40 year addiction.
You can always game on mobile. Grin
And I do...but I'm going to need a MUCH bigger tablet pretty soon, so I can actually see the screen. My eyes are getting so bad that I can barely manage a game on my phone these days, and a 7 inch tablet isn't much better.

I plan to switch to Linux and game there once this last Win7 machine fails. I'm getting jaded these days anyway, and find I play very few AAA games anymore.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 9, 2019, 20:04 Stormsinger

Trump officials cancelling public appearances could be the big win for this shutdown. Maybe I need to rethink my opposition.  

News Comments > Anthem Specs: Windows 10 Required
38. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 8, 2019, 21:39 Stormsinger

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 8, 2019, 12:52:
What the fuck, Win10 only? Ugh. My gaming desktop is still Win8.1 ... ridiculous artificial requirement.
Personally, I'm happy they're making it easy to continue my boycott of EA games. Now it doesn't matter how interesting the game might, or might not appear...because I will NOT be running any more MS operating systems. That ship has sailed, I'll give up gaming entirely first. And that's giving up a nearly 40 year addiction.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 4, 2019, 23:12 Stormsinger

Spektr wrote on Jan 4, 2019, 13:02:
Musk 2020.
Good grief, isn't one narcissistic egomaniac enough in a century?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jan 3, 2019, 23:12 Stormsinger

Man, that oneangrygamer blog has a real cesspool of white nationalists in the comments. They're really quite rabid about it.  

News Comments > OUTWARD Announced
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 19, 2018, 19:23 Stormsinger

Hunger, thirst, exhaustion all add "realism", but a 6+ foot long, 9 inch wide sword that ignores physics is no problem.

Sounds like a pass to me.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 11, 2018, 19:15 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Dec 11, 2018, 13:32:
Rich People Are Getting Away With Not Paying Their Taxes.

Yeah. There's a shocker alright. I'm sure no one ever guessed that was the case. Rolleyes
It's really a rather brilliant strategy on the part of the GOP, in their attempt to destroy the country and revert to a feudal economy.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 8, 2018, 16:40 Stormsinger

WaltC wrote on Dec 8, 2018, 14:02:
Still chugging along with the original 1809 update two months ago--no crashes, no blue screens, no deleted files...it must be magic...;)

To that end, I just read another "journalist's report" yesterday that Microsoft had halted 1809 distribution *yet again*--this time because of problems with some custom security software from Cisco--gosh, it really seemed like a problem with Windows according to the headline until you actually read the text in the article, that is. Turns out that it had nothing whatever to do with with Microsoft pulling the 1809 update--which Microsoft had not actually pulled at all. It also had nothing to do with Windows 1809, either. Surprise! What happened is that the Cisco security software Morphisec Protector --was blocking users from installing 1809 because of a bug in Morphisec Protector which Microsoft was working to resolve with Cisco. Translated: Microsoft was helping Cisco fix the bug in its software.

But the article was not written or titled that way. Caveat Emptor--be very suspicious of what you read on the Internet or see on television news *cough*. I'm no glutton for punishment--if I was having trouble with 1809 and I use a *lot* of third-party software and hardware (except for laptops--I wised up on those a couple of decades back) and if I was having problems with 1809 I'd be shouting it from the housetops.

Of course, Cisco only wrote that "custom security software" because Microsoft is incapable of securing their operating system. So yeah, it is a Microsoft issue at heart.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Dec 5, 2018, 20:05 Stormsinger

When you decide to spend your entire life being a professional troll, you really should expect that eventually karma is going to bite you in the ass, and people will grow tired of your tedious bullshit.

The sooner Milo disappears back into the muck and we stop hearing about him, the better.

12. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 26, 2018, 21:55 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2018, 21:21:
Stormsinger wrote on Nov 26, 2018, 20:35:
Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2018, 16:59:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2018, 15:13:
Nine of every 10 Silicon Valley jobs pays less than in 1997.

That's how it goes when

1. Companies conspire to drive down tech salaries.
2. Companies hire foreign workers that accept a lower salary.

But that's really not true in most of silicon valley. Companies want the best, not the cheapest. Wages have stagnated for people regardless of where they're born. A place like Amazon isn't hiring an Indian-born person because it's cheaper - they can get any American for that price. They're doing it because they hire far more, far faster, than the US employee pool can support without them hiring lesser employees.
Umm...forgetting the actual wage-fixing activities of Google/Apple/Intel/Adobe, are we? They spent hundreds of millions "not admitting" any fault in that... It's a safe bet they depressed wa
ges far more than that amount.

Sorry, I only meant point 2. Yes, there's wage fixing, but it wasn't needed. Wages would stagnate anyway. Since 2008 they've frozen everywhere outside of C suite pay, even as companies are wealthier than ever. Companies are loathe to pay what people are worth
Ah...that makes more sense. But I believe that #2 is a prime cause of depressed wages. I've interviewed and worked with a number of those foreign workers, and as a general rule, the foreign tech workers have the same spread of skill levels as the local candidates. The difference is in that the foreign workers will accept less for the same job, and the companies absolutely do game the system to hire the cheaper candidates. For all the noise about "we can't find enough qualified candidates", there's no shortage of talent here...just a shortage of willingness to pay the market price.

There is an entire industry based on coaching companies how to get around the rules for the H1B visas...that wouldn't be necessary if they weren't actively trying to depress wages.

9. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 26, 2018, 20:35 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Nov 26, 2018, 16:59:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 26, 2018, 15:13:
Nine of every 10 Silicon Valley jobs pays less than in 1997.

That's how it goes when

1. Companies conspire to drive down tech salaries.
2. Companies hire foreign workers that accept a lower salary.

But that's really not true in most of silicon valley. Companies want the best, not the cheapest. Wages have stagnated for people regardless of where they're born. A place like Amazon isn't hiring an Indian-born person because it's cheaper - they can get any American for that price. They're doing it because they hire far more, far faster, than the US employee pool can support without them hiring lesser employees.
Umm...forgetting the actual wage-fixing activities of Google/Apple/Intel/Adobe, are we? They spent hundreds of millions "not admitting" any fault in that... It's a safe bet they depressed wages far more than that amount.

News Comments > Star Citizen Passes $200M
44. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Nov 18, 2018, 17:38 Stormsinger

wtf_man wrote on Nov 18, 2018, 15:25:
IgWannA wrote on Nov 17, 2018, 13:08:
At what point can we all get refunds for non delivery? I paid my $35 back in 2014 and the completion date keeps getting pushed back indefinitely. If they still haven't released a working game by 2024 can we all get refunds? How long can they go on like this, making more ships and not finishing the game?

You pretty much can't get a refund from crowdfunding. You are making an investment (Not pre-purchasing the product)... if the company goes belly up trying to make the product... you lost your investment. Period.

About the only way refunds have been issued are either outright scams (zero to no effort in making said product), or creating something completely different than was initially pitched.

CIG definitely has more than enough evidence of trying to create the game... so you can't get them on that.

I think there was a period of time that you could get a refund because they changed what they initially pitched... but that deadline expired a long time ago.

So, as everyone else has said... no you can't get a refund. You need to understand the difference between investing in a game vs. pre-purchasing one.

With the exception that in no way does crowdfunding qualify as investing, you're pretty close to accurate. Investing would be buying stock or bonds issued by the company. Crowdfunding is just suckers giving someone money...there's little more to it than that.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 28, 2018, 16:13 Stormsinger

Pigeon wrote on Oct 28, 2018, 15:42:
Cutter wrote on Oct 28, 2018, 14:22:
Well duh. You don't need to be an economist to understand that

No you need to be an economist to understand how the top 1% owning more wealth than the bottom 90% is a good thing.
The vast majority of economists understand exactly what they're paid to understand. And since the poor don't hire economists, it's hard to fathom how anyone could expect anything other than what we see.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Oct 21, 2018, 21:32 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Oct 21, 2018, 20:19:
Stormsinger wrote on Oct 21, 2018, 15:24:
It's less that they're not paying their share, than that they're spending tons of money to avoid paying their share. They'd rather waste that money than see it go to any kind of social support. So fuck them. It used to be that corporate charters were contingent on there being some public benefit supplied by the corporation. For the last 4-5 decades, that has been swept complete off the table...now the public policy is designed solely for corporate benefit. I'm way past the point of putting up with that shit.

If you win, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it...but -my- spending isn't beholden to your opinion.

You're confusing the issue. They're not wasting money they're taking the position that's responsible to their shareholders. If I'm a stockholder in these companies and I don't even live there why the fuck are you asking me to pay for your homeless? Not only that, but it's an unfair tax in its selectivity. And the US came into being mainly for that reason right there. No taxation without representation, remember that? Nor did they create the homeless problem. Do an audit and I'll bet you 99% of those homeless are from somewhere other than the bay area. And again, they are remaining homeless by choice. So your evil corporate argument is just so much hippy bullshit.

And I never said how you spent your lottery winnings was my business, just that it would be a waste. If you really want help people there are a lot better ways to do it. You can't change things from the bottom up - most of the time.

I see the problem here...you're a corporatist at heart. You actually believe that sociopathic precept that the only proper concern for a company is to make money.

There -were- other concerns once, corporations were supposed to serve the public good in order to get the benefits their charters gave them. But for the last 50 years we've been under constant brainwashing to promote this belief that they have no need to be good citizens, and that everything should be sacrificed for the sake of profit.

As for the idea that most homeless are homeless by choice...I can't even. Every once in a while you make a post that makes sense, but you always follow it up with some bullshit like this that shows your true colors: ignorant, heartless, and completely self-absorbed.

473 Comments. 24 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo