Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 497 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
15. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Aug 16, 2019, 21:33 Stormsinger

Prez wrote on Aug 16, 2019, 19:29:
The biggest thing that bothered me with the gamergate saga is how universal ugly truths of humanity somehow became a specific problem with gamers. I know everyone has heard more than one person demean or harass a woman - call her a 'whore' for doing the same thing that guys proudly go out to do every weekend, and the like - who hasn't touched a videogame since they were ten. Intolerant and insensitive people exist; that some play games doesn't define an entire culture, but that was the takeaway.
Funny, the biggest thing that bothered -me- about gamergate was how many gamers vehemently denied that any such harassment was happening. That's -still- the big takeaway, in my book. You can find a dozen examples right here on bluesnews, if you take a few minutes and look back.

And frankly, fuck those guys, I refuse to share any sense of community with those assholes, any more than I would share a sense of community with monsters like Epstein and Trump (and for the same reasons).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
11. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 24, 2019, 20:50 Stormsinger

MeanJim wrote on Jul 24, 2019, 19:43:
1badmf wrote on Jul 24, 2019, 11:38:
real scummy the way doordash and a few others handled driver tips. just naked greed, the super rich standing on the necks of the working class. changing the policy is nice but i wish there was a more punitive way to take these fucks to task.

Doordash recently (about 6 months ago) started operating in my town. I got a flier in the mail, but tossed it without looking at it. I rarely get takeout, and usually if I do it's because I'm already out and I just pick up something on the way home. However, I was sick one week and didn't have the energy to cook. I nuked a can of soup, but I remembered that they existed and decided to check them out to see if it was something I would ever want to use.

I don't see how their business model works. I assumed they would charge a fee to pick up and deliver you food, but every restaurant shows free delivery. I thought maybe they're adding it to the cost of the food, so I checked a few restaurants that have online menus against the Doordash menu and they are showing the same prices too. There has to be some kind of catch to it.
They work the way many hugely funded startups do...they're buying business as they move into territories. Rest assured that the price will climb once they've secured a good market share.

News Comments > Outpost Zero Free Week
6. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 21, 2019, 16:14 Stormsinger

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 13:58:
Rigs wrote on Jul 21, 2019, 09:40:
I hate it when they put 'Pre Alpha'...do you even know what a freakin' Pre-Alpha is? It's not a beta, which is what you're showing in the video. Pre-fucking-Alpha would be barely functional with almost no features or artwork, mostly just placeholders and duct tape to show what will be. This is nearly a fleshed out Beta. Empyrion does the same thing, we're supposedly up to Alpha 10 but the damn game is nearly complete.

=-Rigs-=
It's arguable that most of the pre-release demos aren't intended to fine-tune anything at all. In many cases, they're a marketing ploy, little else.

Blame the big publishers who let you play a multiplayer demo ahead of release so they can fine tune their balance and netcode... They call those things "beta tests" even though they happen two weeks before the game is out. It's not surprising that others have felt the need to use a different term, so that their actual beta is not compared to those.

News Comments > Ubisoft Responds to Watch Dogs: Legion/HITRECORD Criticism
11. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 16, 2019, 19:51 Stormsinger

Talisorn wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 18:24:
God you guys are a bunch of cynical whingers. This gives an artist a) exposure and b) something decent to add to their resume. It's not like it's all one sided. People have a choice, you know? If they want to participate in contributing to the game, let them.
I'm sure that billion dollar publisher really appreciates your defense of their greed. Good job!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 16, 2019, 19:48 Stormsinger

ldonyo wrote on Jul 16, 2019, 12:46:
Won't Facebook's new service break Facebook?
Not to worry, I'm sure the work is being farmed out to Russian intelligence fronts. Nothing of value will be broken.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 16, 2019, 19:47 Stormsinger

I've started wondering if anyone who tosses around the term "treason" even knows that it has an actual definition. Defined in the US Constitution, no less, which most of them claim to venerate.  

News Comments > Ion Maiden Renamed Ion Fury; Full Release Next Month
12. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jul 11, 2019, 20:22 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 13:12:
Bill Borre wrote on Jul 11, 2019, 12:25:
I don't think they would've lost in court. It doesn't seem much of an infringement to me. Just Iron Maiden's lawyers being dicks.

It's the way the law is structured. If you don't defend your trademark it's presumed you don't really care if you lose it or not. So it's not always that people are being dicks about it because they don't really have a choice if they want to keep their TM.
Not true. Trademarks are only enforced across related industries. Someone could open a restaurant named Led Zeppelin tomorrow and there would be no infringement. There's absolutely no way anyone would confuse a video game with a rock band. This was purely Iron Maiden being dicks.

News Comments > Stardock, Paul, and Fred Settle Star Control Lawsuits
7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Jun 12, 2019, 19:29 Stormsinger

Dravnt wrote on Jun 12, 2019, 15:26:
After a year of litigation, the dispute was ultimately solved by Reiche calling Wardell directly, bypassing the lawyers, and the two finding a lot of common ground on a wide range of topics ranging from game design to beekeeping.

"The magic trick to resolving this was just picking up the phone and calling each other directly," said Reiche. "Brad suggested this back in 2017 and it worked! By talking directly to each other, we were actually able to put something together that we both liked before all the legal mumbo-jumbo got in the way."

Once the two talked about what each really cared about, coming to a resolution was swift.

Wat? A year and more spent in disputing, litigation, and just all around being frustrated and then to have a resolution by simply....calling each other up and talking without lawyers?

There's a life lesson in there: don't be a douche, don't get lawyers involved, just talk to the person that's pissed and both strive to earnestly work it out, etc. etc. etc.

So much annoyance, drama, and irritation could have been avoided. What a pointless episode and perhaps that's the greatest life lesson of all: much of the drama we deal with is pointless.

A more likely explanation is that both sides finally clued into how much they were annoying their fanbase, and finally decided to just let it go, rather than continue to destroy the cash cow. This claim that they're going to work together, I'll believe when I see an actual game come out of it.

News Comments > Wanking Simulator Announced
1. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 13, 2019, 19:52 Stormsinger

I take it this was the result of some competition for "Most Stupid Game Concept".  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
9. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 11, 2019, 14:48 Stormsinger

wtf_man wrote on May 11, 2019, 12:05:
Everyone pretty much knows that Pitchford is an @sshole and a liar.

This is just another potential example if Eddings is telling the truth. Credibility-wise I'd probably believe him over Pitchford.

That said, he's also kind of being a pansy about pranks and wanting a public apology before accepting work. Just goes to show how much America has been pussified by Political Correctness. (And yes, I'm probably the last person that will ever be politically correct! )
Riiight. Because assault by your boss is just a "prank". The fact is that we have tons of proof that Pitchford is a lying sack of shit. And we have precisely zero evidence that Eddings has done anything similar. The credibility of the two can't even be reasonably compared.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 7, 2019, 19:06 Stormsinger

Blue, one thing to consider when switching to propane (or natural gas), in my experience, if you can still find a gas grill that uses a bed of lava rocks between the burners and the food, it does taste just like charcoal...minus any taste of lighter fluid. The more modern ones that use metal heat plates just don't get the same flavor.  

News Comments > etc.
23. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 7, 2019, 18:27 Stormsinger

DarkCntry wrote on May 7, 2019, 10:47:
Stormsinger wrote on May 7, 2019, 08:41:
WTF does the union or other actors have to do with an alleged offer to Eddings? The fact that they weren't mentioned AT ALL hardly indicates that Pitchford was telling the truth...for once.

If you can't figure it out on your own, then I'm not going to sit here and break down the intricacies of how unions/unionized actors work.
Sheesh...I'm quite conversant with how unions function. And I'm fully aware that they have said NOTHING about any offers to Eddings, either way.

What I don't understand is how you can, with a straight face, move the goalpost from "based on the article" to "based on the union", when you were called on the utter lack of support for your position in that article.

News Comments > etc.
18. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 7, 2019, 08:41 Stormsinger

DarkCntry wrote on May 7, 2019, 04:32:
Kxmode wrote on May 6, 2019, 16:57:
Except he did a job that wasn't explicitly the position they hired him for. This is a problem with growing businesses. They can totally afford to hire the talent for a specific need but instead, go cheap by asking him to do this. Maybe not for the first game, for absolutely for the second (I'm pretty certain there was a lot of innuendo about job security).

I've had jobs where my bosses have asked me to do stuff that's not frontend development work, and I've stated in precise terms that is not where my passions lie and I don't want to work on things like that. They keep trying because they know I can do it and they don't want to hire a person for what would be a high annual salary. I keep holding my ground with a respectful no. However, if they ever went the "job security" route that might shake me a bit. It would also put me in a position to likely seek other employment; now that they broke an unwritten rule and threatened my employment status.
Nothing I've read over the course of the previous games noted anything about implied threats over job security, it still really doesn't change much though, considering that as a salaried employee he wouldn't have had anything other than maybe a 'bonus' given to him. Outside of that, the volunteering to do the job is on Eddings's shoulders.

Stormsinger wrote on May 6, 2019, 22:19:
True ONLY if you believe Pitchford...and if you do, I suspect you fall for a lot of other lies.
I'm not basing it on specifically what Pitchford says, but based upon the hiring of notable voice actors and not a single statement from them, or their union.
WTF does the union or other actors have to do with an alleged offer to Eddings? The fact that they weren't mentioned AT ALL hardly indicates that Pitchford was telling the truth...for once.

News Comments > etc.
16. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 6, 2019, 22:19 Stormsinger

DarkCntry wrote on May 6, 2019, 13:55:
Second, based upon what the article states, Gearbox offered double the union standard and it was declined, which seems to point towards Eddings being more greedy due to his history with the character.

True ONLY if you believe Pitchford...and if you do, I suspect you fall for a lot of other lies.

News Comments > Chris Taylor Reveals Intergalactic Space Empire and Kanoogi Platform
13. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 25, 2019, 19:12 Stormsinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 25, 2019, 18:01:
I was sort of hyped until I read "new platform" and "virtually all devices"

So if he wants to make mobile games just say that for gods sake. Ain't nobody on PC who wants to play in a browser.
There may not be many of us, but I'm finding that about 90% of my gaming time is spent in browsers these last few years.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 14, 2019, 15:06 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 14, 2019, 12:51:
We knowingly let China steal trade secrets for short term profits. We deserve anything we get. sigh

Welcome to the HBS school of capitalism, where the only thing that matters is the next quarter's profits. Not that the Harvard Business School is the only proponent of this stupidity, but they've certainly been one of the most prominent and loudest. Actual investors don't matter. Employees don't matter. Society doesn't matter. All that matters is rewarding speculators.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Onslaught Announced
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 14, 2019, 14:57 Stormsinger

On a very remote tangent, I occasionally wonder if they ever managed to rewrite the game engine to use the commercial version of PostgreSQL instead of Oracle. I believe they vastly underestimated the amount of work it would take to make up for the features missing from the database.  

News Comments > Warhammer: Chaosbane Trailer
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 12, 2019, 19:46 Stormsinger

How did they manage to twist their minds enough to claim that a rage meter with ultimate powers is somehow a unique mechanic? Sheesh, that's in probably 50% of the action RPGs these days...  

News Comments > RuneQuest Videogame Announced
7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 11, 2019, 19:31 Stormsinger

Kxmode wrote on Mar 11, 2019, 14:55:
aka_STEVE wrote on Mar 11, 2019, 14:26:
"Black Shamrock" ... gave me a laugh

This dude. Just call the game "Black Shamrock!" Much cooler fantasy name.
If you were starting from scratch, I'd agree...but I'd guess there's a fairly decent sized fan-base for RuneQuest. It was never huge, but it was one of my favorite game systems and lore. The name was vastly more original when it was first released, back in the late 70s.

As far as I know, the only computer game based on it had nothing to do with the mechanics, just the setting and lore: King of Dragon Pass. That was a very unusual game, I don't think I've ever played another like it. I'll be happy if this one is as enjoyable, but it'd be nice if it shares some of the old mechanics as well.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 3, 2019, 13:41 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 3, 2019, 13:37:
Stormsinger wrote on Mar 3, 2019, 13:27:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 3, 2019, 13:22:
Stormsinger wrote on Mar 3, 2019, 12:34:
I can't believe nobody else has pointed this out yet. By definition, no grandmother can win a Darwin award.
We need a new award...maybe the Florida award? Or Texas?
G-Ma's qualify.
The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor, originating in Usenet newsgroup discussions around 1985. They recognize individuals who have supposedly contributed to human evolution by selecting themselves out of the gene pool via death or sterilization by their own actions.
By definition, grandmothers have already contributed to the gene pool. Dying after that is most assuredly NOT contributing to human evolution.
No where in the definition does it state that previous contributions are forbidden.
You can't be serious. Dying after procreating does ZERO to affect evolution.

The entire fucking point is to remove the genes from the gene pool, so unless grandma takes her entire set of descendants with her, she's not able to qualify.

497 Comments. 25 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo