Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 367 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 15, 2016, 20:03 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 14:08:
Project Fi only supports 2 phones...

Yep, I've been on it for almost a year now. The flexibility in terms of data usage is great, but you do pay a premium for a phone that works on all those networks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2016, 15:23 Stormsinger

Henry Dorsett wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 14:26:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 13:40:
I think it has happened again, almost certain and it is one of my fav's here at Blues and probably is the reason why Blue's post Cliffski blogs. For commenter's to mistaken him for Cliffy B.
Which is a shame, because Cliffy B. has done some fantastic work.
Personally, I get a -lot- more enjoyment out of Cliffski's games than I ever have out of anything Cliffy B. was associated with.

That said, I don't go around slamming Cliffy B. just because his games are not to my taste.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2016, 20:50 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 14:40:
yonder wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 18:35:
Yeah but PLENTY of people work for 50 years saying "I wish I had done a bit better in preparing for the future when I was younger."

The only people who ever say that are the people who never lived within their means. You can strike that balance without working like a dog your entire life, you know. Stop trying to keep up with the neighbors. Stop having kids you can't afford to have. Working like a pig for 40 years and never enjoying life only to drop dead at retirement is just stupid.

Stop getting sick, stop letting tornados wreck your house. There are -plenty- of things completely outside of your control that could make someone say "I wish I'd saved more." Maybe if you'd actually -think- before you whip out your tired cliches, you'd make better points, or at least be a bit more entertaining.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 13:00 Stormsinger

Oh goodie...another rich, entitled prick telling those who actually -do- the work to stop bitching about long hours, poor pay and bad management.

Oh, venturebeat...should have known. That's as big a shock as finding an article promoting lower capital gains taxes on Forbes.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns
10. Re: Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns Apr 3, 2016, 11:48 Stormsinger

And there's the other shoe we've been waiting for since Facebook bought the Rift. This is why we can't have nice things.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse<br> Thanks {ant}.</p> <ul> <li> <a href= Mar 19, 2016, 23:06 Stormsinger

Not even webservers can put those four words together without blowing a gasket.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2016, 00:30.

News Comments > On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues
33. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 22, 2016, 18:50 Stormsinger

Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 22:46:
Stormsinger wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 13:08:
I realize it has other issues. Those just don't bother me as much as taking 20 minutes to exit and restart after every mission.

Did you try the capslock thingy? (Hit capslock after a mission is over, it'll apparently load every outstanding load request in a single frame, as per the devs, and skip the 40 seconds load screen.)

I've tried it...without much noticeable effect at first. However, I reduced my pagefile (I'd increased it some time back for another game, which I don't remember). It doesn't seem to "fix" the leak, but it does recover faster after I exit now. And oddly, while capslock doesn't seem to make it load any faster now, it definitely sets the disk to a high activity level.

It's only about a week for the new PC...I'm sure I'll survive till then.

27. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 21, 2016, 13:08 Stormsinger

rudra wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 12:14:
Stormsinger wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 10:27:
InBlack wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 10:08:
Loving the game so far and I gotta say that apart from some of the frame skipping and hiccups in some cut scenes Im pretty happy with how the game runs. Haven't noticed any memory leaks either, but then again I run 16GB of RAM and always disable the hard disk swap file.
This leak was the kick in the ass I needed to justify a new PC to myself. My current is around 7 years old, and this is the first game it wouldn't run reasonably well. So in a week or two, I'll be able to verify the difference between 4GB and 16 GB on this game. I think it's safe to say I'll still be playing it by then.

ive got 24gb of ram and it still has issues

its not just a "memory leak".. i know thats always the problem du jour, but yeh - its got more issues than that

I realize it has other issues. Those just don't bother me as much as taking 20 minutes to exit and restart after every mission.

23. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 21, 2016, 10:27 Stormsinger

InBlack wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 10:08:
Loving the game so far and I gotta say that apart from some of the frame skipping and hiccups in some cut scenes Im pretty happy with how the game runs. Haven't noticed any memory leaks either, but then again I run 16GB of RAM and always disable the hard disk swap file.
This leak was the kick in the ass I needed to justify a new PC to myself. My current is around 7 years old, and this is the first game it wouldn't run reasonably well. So in a week or two, I'll be able to verify the difference between 4GB and 16 GB on this game. I think it's safe to say I'll still be playing it by then.

4. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 20, 2016, 14:08 Stormsinger

Personally, I'm far more bothered by the memory leak that requires me to exit after every mission or two and let the page file clean up.

News Comments > Vivendi Sells Activision Stake
17. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 17, 2016, 01:50 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 23:04:
A hedge isn't a bet, it's a mitigation of risk. It isn't "we think this will happen" but "we're screwed if this happens, so we'll cover our asses."

I have renters' insurance. I do not think anything bad will happen, but I'm mitigating my risk. This is all a hedge is. They're exceptionally common, and institutions do them to be responsible, not to place a bet.

I fail to see any significant difference. You're gambling a small amount of money (the insurance premiums) against the larger amount you'll win (the expenses that you won't have to pay yourself) if events break that way. That -is- a gamble. All insurance is a gamble.

14. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 16, 2016, 22:48 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 17:25:
Stormsinger wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 13:05:
You have to wonder who made how much money on this deal. Because it sure looks like Vivendi was betting that Activision/Blizzard stock was going to crumble.

Life is good if you're a bankster.

Uh... no it doesn't?

They made no such bet, and they've been trying to get out of Activision for a while. Trying to get out of all entertainment.

A hedge is generally something along the lines of insurance against a loss. If you're hedging stock, you expect the price to drop...or if you prefer different terminology, you're afraid that it will.

I'd call it a bet. You can use whatever term you like. But if they hadn't been expecting losses, they'd have had no reason to hedge the stock.

1. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 16, 2016, 13:05 Stormsinger

You have to wonder who made how much money on this deal. Because it sure looks like Vivendi was betting that Activision/Blizzard stock was going to crumble.

Life is good if you're a bankster.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2015, 11:46 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 10:46:
I didn't read the article but I'm curious what they think of cell phone signals then then.
It's a good question. I don't think I've seen any interviews with one of these people where it was brought up. I wouldn't be surprised if they're also "a cause" of problems.

I really, really don't understand why some people have such a problem admitting "We don't know why this happens."

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 14, 2015, 10:44 Stormsinger

Wifi allergists...the next form of anti-vaxxers. It doesn't matter that it can be demonstrated that they cannot tell whether a router is actually on or not. They're absolutely sure it's the wifi signal causing their problems.

I understand that losing a child is a horrible, horrible thing. But it doesn't justify delusional beliefs that have been absolutely disproven.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 9, 2015, 10:11 Stormsinger

Based on their website, Virtual Desktop allows you to play videos from YouTube, and look at photos. Yeah, even for free, that's a bit underwhelming.

News Comments > Oriental Empires Announced
13. Re: Oriental Empires Announced Dec 7, 2015, 20:59 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 18:00:
Stormsinger wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 14:24:
JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 12:27:
So now we're preemptively outraged that someone else may or may not be outraged about a word that may or may not be derogatory?

Must be a slow trolling day.

-Jn-

It appears so. Ever notice that the folks who get outraged over "political correctness" or "SJWs" are those who seem to be heavily invested in being insulting? And I don't believe I've ever seen anyone get overwrought about PC who wasn't a pretty hard rightwing type. Maybe it's reality's liberal bias kicking them in the face again that causes the anguish.

No, it's the stupidity of people who don't understand that you don't get to go through life without ever being offended. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me? Remember that one? No, of course you don't. Well, life is tough, get a fucking helmet. Learn to suck it up. Fuck the whiny pricks who take every opportunity possible to turn this into some grey Orwellian world of thoughtcrime and doublespeak. Where we can't have Christmas, or Halloween, or even fucking Yoga now because some asshole somewhere is offended it's some kind of cultural appropriation.

George Carlin on "Soft" Language

They say they’re going to pre-board those passengers in need of special assistance …cripples! Simple honest direct language. There’s no shame attached to the word cripple I can find in any dictionary. In fact it’s a word used in Bible translations. “Jesus healed the cripples.” Doesn’t take seven words to describe that condition. But we don’t have cripples in this country anymore. We have the physically challenged. Is that a grotesque enough evasion for you? How about differently-abled? I’ve heard them called that. Differently-abled! You can’t even call these people handicapped anymore. They say: “We’re not handicapped, we’re handy capable!” These poor people have been bullshitted by the system into believing that if you change the name of the condition somehow you’ll change the condition. Well, hey cousin … doesn’t happen!

Yeah, and George Carlin was sucg a right-wing extemist wasn't he?
Rolleyes

It has nothing to do with political alignment and everything to do with common sense and people sick and tired over a handful of assholes getting their panties in a bunch over a handful of words. Words, once again, that had no stigma attached to them until the SJWs made it that way. So go fuck yourself.

I rest my case.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 7, 2015, 14:27 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 12:21:
Utterly useless, overpriced crap.

It's not all that often I agree with you, but in this case, I find myself 100% in your camp.

$1500? That's gotta be a remarkably niche market. Probably the same crowd that buys those $100 hamburgers we heard about a few years back.

News Comments > Oriental Empires Announced
9. Re: Oriental Empires Announced Dec 7, 2015, 14:24 Stormsinger

JoeNapalm wrote on Dec 7, 2015, 12:27:
So now we're preemptively outraged that someone else may or may not be outraged about a word that may or may not be derogatory?

Must be a slow trolling day.

-Jn-

It appears so. Ever notice that the folks who get outraged over "political correctness" or "SJWs" are those who seem to be heavily invested in being insulting? And I don't believe I've ever seen anyone get overwrought about PC who wasn't a pretty hard rightwing type. Maybe it's reality's liberal bias kicking them in the face again that causes the anguish.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Nov 28, 2015, 16:31 Stormsinger

It's especially nasty since we don't have the legal right to modify the software any more. Not that it was acceptable when we could, but at least the technically inclined could "fix" the issue.

367 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo