Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 428 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 16, 2018, 17:04 Stormsinger

I really don't see what this "blockchain phone" is supposed to accomplish. WTF does blockchain have to do with anything related to phones in -any- way?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 6, 2018, 15:33 Stormsinger

KS wrote on May 6, 2018, 14:34:
I quit when I was in some 0.0 space with some battleships, and some guild mates logged out then back in as enemy faction and ganked me.

I had vowed way back in Ultima Online I would not subscribe to a game that served up some players as chew toys to gankers.

This isn't the same thing as the rough and tumble of honest pvp or even finding yourself vastly outgunned or outnumbered.
Yep...CCP made it clear years ago that their target market is griefers. It's a shame, really...I actually rather enjoyed the game except for that huge glaring problem.

News Comments > NVIDIA Cancels GeForce Partner Program
11. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 5, 2018, 01:58 Stormsinger

El Pit wrote on May 5, 2018, 01:43:
Of course they cancelled it. They have nothing to fear - there simply is no competition in the GPU market. AMD has released a great CPU with the Ryzen but their GPUs are overheating and underperforming at the same time. So why should nvidia not just cancel GPP instead of "fighting for it". They rule nevertheless.
By that logic, they never needed it in the first place.

Anyone with a couple of functioning brain cells could predict that word of such slimy tactics -would- eventually get out and raise questions (and possibly official investigations as well). So either nVidia's legal team was utterly braindead, or you may be missing something when you say they had nothing to gain from implementing those anti-competitive contracts.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries Destruction Trailer
16. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 18, 2018, 18:43 Stormsinger

As long as there are squishies on the battlefield, I'll probably go for it. Kesmai dangled that bait long enough that I have to admit it's one that totally hooks me.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 12, 2018, 22:02 Stormsinger

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 21:11:
Stormsinger wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 20:53:
Weird, nought was a commonly used word in my family growing up. I assumed it was, at least, not uncommon elsewhere. It's strange how small the "region" must be to generate local dialects.
Really? How old are you and where did you grow up? Outside the US? I'm in my mid 50s and lived in several different places in my youth (military brat) and I'm reasonably certain I never heard "nought" until I was an adult.
My immediate family was in Kansas City, my mother's family (where we "inherited" the term) was from the panhandle of Nebraska. But they'd traveled over much of the midwest in their time. I'm not really sure of the details, but I believe it was mostly due to some phrases my great uncle used to use, "All I get is noughts and ones" and the like. I know he was well educated, both academically and self-taught, so there's no telling where -he- picked it up.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 12, 2018, 20:53 Stormsinger

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 20:28:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 20:02:
Pretty sure he was commenting on the tenth digit being "ou" instead of zero. Which I agree was weird. Even odder is this could be potentially confusing since initially phone number included letters. So you would have thought they would have been careful to differentiate the two...

That makes a lot more sense

And it's not just confusing, the word it relates to, "nought" hadn't be used commonly for "zero" for nearly 900 years when this film was made.

I wonder if that is even correct english. Because in the context here it's CLEARLY not "nought", it's a zero, a part of the numeric dial system, not the absence of something or anything.

Ps.: Yes, I googled the word history back to the original source of Old English and Arab numbers. Interesting read.
Weird, nought was a commonly used word in my family growing up. I assumed it was, at least, not uncommon elsewhere. It's strange how small the "region" must be to generate local dialects.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Apr 4, 2018, 00:39 Stormsinger

Blockchain...still a solution in search of a problem.  

News Comments > Uwe Boll's Rampage
6. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 31, 2018, 00:05 Stormsinger

I'm sure the half-dozen fans of Boll's films won't be at all confused.  

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 22, 2018, 19:30 Stormsinger

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 13:23:
The First Amendment isn't writing checks to these whores politicians, Federalist. Duh.
I'm glad you edited that line...it was more than a little unfair to whores, many of whom give their patrons decent service for their money. Very, very few politicians do so...they're a distinctly lower form of life.

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 18:52 Stormsinger

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 12:34:
YourNick wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 23:25:
How much training do you really need to point a gun and pull the trigger...

How badly do you want to hit your target? I see people all the time at the range who think they are GI Joe and they are the worst shots because they have no training. Those are the people who think they will survive in an apocalypse and are actually going to be among the first to die.
They, and the poor bystanders they hit while firing madly somewhere near a target. I feel bad for the bystanders. Far too many people -do- seem to get their ideas about guns from action films...those are the very people who should not be allowed to handle them, much less own them.

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 9, 2018, 18:41 Stormsinger

I think it would be more accurate to say he got sentenced for stealing from the wealthy. Being an asshole had very little to do with it, as nice as it feels.  

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 19:56 Stormsinger

Sepharo wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 19:53:
We're saying the same things
I know...and that was originally in my post. Somehow in all the editing, that line got deleted. LOL

News Comments > Oculus Rift Outage Fix and Compensation
8. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 19:22 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 18:03:
bigspender wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 17:51:
I mean it's good about the compensation, but at the same time they're kind of admitting that they monitor when you are using your hardware....
That is plainly spelled out in the TOS.
...and it's an absolute show stopper for anyone even slightly concerned about security and privacy. They have offered not a single decent reason for the invasive practices they've chosen to implement.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 8, 2018, 19:19 Stormsinger

Sepharo wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 18:24:
Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:15:
There are so many imcomprehensibly stupid assertions in this opinion piece that I literally don't have the time to address them all. Or even half of them. Thankfully most of this incredibly clueless writer's points are so idiotic that they hardly need rebuttals; anyone with the intellect above that of a small child and even a remote grasp on reality should be able to recognize the overall stupidity of what he is saying.

Yeah his suggestions for game mechanics are moronic.

As far as the general argument about "training". I disagree with the muscle memory and aiming stuff, but there is a bit of a point to the gun literacy one can learn in a VR simulator... but it's certainly not a reason to ban them. Knowledge/information should not be suppressed. This would be akin to banning flight simulators after 9/11.
Flight simulators are a perfect example of how you -can- train for something in a virtual environment. I picked up flying RC planes in literally 10 minutes, due to the thousand or so hours I had spent in sims. His specific claims may be mostly bogus, but there's a kernel of truth to the general idea.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
11. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 5, 2018, 23:28 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 22:44:
Stormsinger wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 20:03:
Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 18:38:
“Marijuana is a very complicated subject and we understand this,” the rules say on the charity’s website.

Uh no, no it's not. Grass is going legal everywhere sooner than later so learn to deal with it already. This outdated bullshit is unreal. 'Mary Jane? But that's only used by communists!!!' 'We cannot allow our young people to be seduced by the Jazz Man's reefer stick!'

Basing your actions based on what you -think- the future legality will be is...pure and simple stupidity. It's against the law in Virginia, and it's quite likely a felony to deal it (and you can bet that'll be how it's prosecuted). Guy was an idiot to have done this, especially with someone he didn't know well.

Jesus, are you ever stupid. Did you even make it to grade 6? English comprehension fail of the highest order. And one more moron goes on ignore.
Oh noes! Whatever will I do? My heart, she is broken...

7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 5, 2018, 20:51 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 20:12:
Stormsinger wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 20:03:
Basing your actions based on what you -think- the future legality will be is...pure and simple stupidity. It's against the law in Virginia, and it's quite likely a felony to deal it (and you can bet that'll be how it's prosecuted). Guy was an idiot to have done this, especially with someone he didn't know well.
You do understand that the closest cutter comes to understanding current laws (or drugs for that matter) was he drove by a Holiday Inn Express once. https://vimeo.com/51166685

ROFL Thanks for the reminder...my memory isn't what it used to be.

5. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 5, 2018, 20:03 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Mar 5, 2018, 18:38:
“Marijuana is a very complicated subject and we understand this,” the rules say on the charity’s website.

Uh no, no it's not. Grass is going legal everywhere sooner than later so learn to deal with it already. This outdated bullshit is unreal. 'Mary Jane? But that's only used by communists!!!' 'We cannot allow our young people to be seduced by the Jazz Man's reefer stick!'

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 20, 2018, 18:25 Stormsinger

Pigeon wrote on Feb 20, 2018, 15:14:
Using a pyramid graphic to explain your commission structure... ballsy
I think the word you're looking for is "stupid".

News Comments > Humble Offers Freebies
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 17, 2018, 14:21 Stormsinger

Jamie's got it right, although I'd be one hell of a lot more emphatic. If you have to pay for a subscription, even for a single month, in order to get these...that's not even remotely qualifying as "free".

Piss-poor headline.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 17, 2018, 01:10 Stormsinger

Red886 wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 23:15:
all these articles leave out examples of these activities of election meddling for a very good reason:

it is quite a joke.

i recommend googling it.
Nice vaguebooking...

428 Comments. 22 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo