Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 376 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Interviews
23. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 24, 2016, 18:17 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 13:43:
Stormsinger wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 18:51:
I just stopped in to see what the MRAs were raving about this week. Come on guys, this is -way- too tame...I made popcorn and everything!

Come on guys agree with my views or you're a racist/bigot/misogynist Bandana
I didn't figure you for one of them, Verno...but with the apparent butthurt, I guess I missed something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated]
79. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash Sep 24, 2016, 12:50 Stormsinger

Quboid wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:59:
Slick wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:47:
I know I'm going way off topic, but I enjoy Keith Olbermann, he's articulate, perceptive, and unlike most liberal democrats, seems to have the ability to actually get MAD at the shit that should be making people MAD.

Watch this, and tell me what in the hell is going on in America:

https://youtu.be/D7d2ayLb2lg

I quite like him but he is very much seen as a whiny liberal elite and I think he preaches to the choir - i.e. he sounds good only to people who already agree with him. He donated money to the Democrats, which is an incredibly dumb and unethical thing for someone in his position to do. That's a terrible look for a newscaster, much worse than Luckey's foolishness.

Olbermann was never a "newscaster". He went from sportscaster straight to op-ed, because he was so effective at his rants about Bush. I don't really see how it's unethical for an oped host to be up front about his political donations. I do hope (but don't really expect) that he'll reconsider his party affiliations now that the DNC has been caught red-handed being involved in traditionally Republican practices of voter suppression and such.

14. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 23, 2016, 18:51 Stormsinger

I just stopped in to see what the MRAs were raving about this week. Come on guys, this is -way- too tame...I made popcorn and everything!  

2. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 7, 2016, 18:52 Stormsinger

Yep, around and around we go.

Honestly, the only positive thing I've seen come out of Gamergate was the increased awareness of the term SJW. Which functions quite admirably as a flag...I find that the people who use the term disparagingly (which is pretty much everyone who uses the term) are those I have no particular interest in interacting with. In effect, it's a quick way for assholes to signal their assholery.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2016, 20:58 Stormsinger

You guys might be being a bit too hard on him. Maybe "adult conversation" means we can swear at him this time...  

News Comments > Space Rangers: Quest Announced
7. Re: Space Rangers: Quest Announced Aug 25, 2016, 19:21 Stormsinger

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 17:22:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 14:27:
epic text battles? lol is this a joke?

Don't judge. There's obviously a market for it.
I played online text games for years, and I can imagine very few things more atrocious sounding than trying to play a text game on a phone. I'd rather be castrated with a rusty spoon.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 21, 2016, 13:13 Stormsinger

“We don’t have time to wait for official dev tools to fix what can be fixed by us."

The most hilarious line I've read this week. I guess I missed the deadline for modding a new game...

News Comments > No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds
57. Re: No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds Aug 12, 2016, 20:21 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 19:55:
Stormsinger wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 18:59:
NKD wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 12:31:
Moog wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 11:55:

I thought it was traditional to QA a product *before* release!

Oooohohohoho. I don't know when that was.
That would have been before the internet removed the costs involved in releasing patches. Prior to that, a company had to ship disks to their customers, so they made a -serious- effort to ensure the game was playable out of the box.
Those days were horrible for both the consumer and the developer. This is the golden age of computer gaming.
I don't necessarily disagree that things gaming are generally better now. But in that one area (QA), it was definitely better then.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds
55. Re: No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds Aug 12, 2016, 18:59 Stormsinger

NKD wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 12:31:
Moog wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 11:55:

I thought it was traditional to QA a product *before* release!

Oooohohohoho. I don't know when that was.
That would have been before the internet removed the costs involved in releasing patches. Prior to that, a company had to ship disks to their customers, so they made a -serious- effort to ensure the game was playable out of the box.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 15, 2016, 20:03 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 14:08:
Project Fi only supports 2 phones...

Yep, I've been on it for almost a year now. The flexibility in terms of data usage is great, but you do pay a premium for a phone that works on all those networks.

News Comments > Op Ed
9. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2016, 15:23 Stormsinger

Henry Dorsett wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 14:26:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 10, 2016, 13:40:
I think it has happened again, almost certain and it is one of my fav's here at Blues and probably is the reason why Blue's post Cliffski blogs. For commenter's to mistaken him for Cliffy B.
Which is a shame, because Cliffy B. has done some fantastic work.
Personally, I get a -lot- more enjoyment out of Cliffski's games than I ever have out of anything Cliffy B. was associated with.

That said, I don't go around slamming Cliffy B. just because his games are not to my taste.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2016, 20:50 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 14:40:
yonder wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 18:35:
Yeah but PLENTY of people work for 50 years saying "I wish I had done a bit better in preparing for the future when I was younger."

The only people who ever say that are the people who never lived within their means. You can strike that balance without working like a dog your entire life, you know. Stop trying to keep up with the neighbors. Stop having kids you can't afford to have. Working like a pig for 40 years and never enjoying life only to drop dead at retirement is just stupid.

Stop getting sick, stop letting tornados wreck your house. There are -plenty- of things completely outside of your control that could make someone say "I wish I'd saved more." Maybe if you'd actually -think- before you whip out your tired cliches, you'd make better points, or at least be a bit more entertaining.

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 13:00 Stormsinger

Oh goodie...another rich, entitled prick telling those who actually -do- the work to stop bitching about long hours, poor pay and bad management.

Oh, venturebeat...should have known. That's as big a shock as finding an article promoting lower capital gains taxes on Forbes.

News Comments > Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns
10. Re: Oculus Rift Privacy Concerns Apr 3, 2016, 11:48 Stormsinger

And there's the other shoe we've been waiting for since Facebook bought the Rift. This is why we can't have nice things.  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
11. Re: Saturday Metaverse<br> Thanks {ant}.</p> <ul> <li> <a href= Mar 19, 2016, 23:06 Stormsinger

Not even webservers can put those four words together without blowing a gasket.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2016, 00:30.

News Comments > On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues
33. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 22, 2016, 18:50 Stormsinger

Creston wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 22:46:
Stormsinger wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 13:08:
I realize it has other issues. Those just don't bother me as much as taking 20 minutes to exit and restart after every mission.

Did you try the capslock thingy? (Hit capslock after a mission is over, it'll apparently load every outstanding load request in a single frame, as per the devs, and skip the 40 seconds load screen.)

I've tried it...without much noticeable effect at first. However, I reduced my pagefile (I'd increased it some time back for another game, which I don't remember). It doesn't seem to "fix" the leak, but it does recover faster after I exit now. And oddly, while capslock doesn't seem to make it load any faster now, it definitely sets the disk to a high activity level.

It's only about a week for the new PC...I'm sure I'll survive till then.

27. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 21, 2016, 13:08 Stormsinger

rudra wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 12:14:
Stormsinger wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 10:27:
InBlack wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 10:08:
Loving the game so far and I gotta say that apart from some of the frame skipping and hiccups in some cut scenes Im pretty happy with how the game runs. Haven't noticed any memory leaks either, but then again I run 16GB of RAM and always disable the hard disk swap file.
This leak was the kick in the ass I needed to justify a new PC to myself. My current is around 7 years old, and this is the first game it wouldn't run reasonably well. So in a week or two, I'll be able to verify the difference between 4GB and 16 GB on this game. I think it's safe to say I'll still be playing it by then.

ive got 24gb of ram and it still has issues

its not just a "memory leak".. i know thats always the problem du jour, but yeh - its got more issues than that

I realize it has other issues. Those just don't bother me as much as taking 20 minutes to exit and restart after every mission.

23. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 21, 2016, 10:27 Stormsinger

InBlack wrote on Feb 21, 2016, 10:08:
Loving the game so far and I gotta say that apart from some of the frame skipping and hiccups in some cut scenes Im pretty happy with how the game runs. Haven't noticed any memory leaks either, but then again I run 16GB of RAM and always disable the hard disk swap file.
This leak was the kick in the ass I needed to justify a new PC to myself. My current is around 7 years old, and this is the first game it wouldn't run reasonably well. So in a week or two, I'll be able to verify the difference between 4GB and 16 GB on this game. I think it's safe to say I'll still be playing it by then.

4. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 20, 2016, 14:08 Stormsinger

Personally, I'm far more bothered by the memory leak that requires me to exit after every mission or two and let the page file clean up.

News Comments > Vivendi Sells Activision Stake
17. Re: Vivendi Sells Activision Stake Jan 17, 2016, 01:50 Stormsinger

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2016, 23:04:
A hedge isn't a bet, it's a mitigation of risk. It isn't "we think this will happen" but "we're screwed if this happens, so we'll cover our asses."

I have renters' insurance. I do not think anything bad will happen, but I'm mitigating my risk. This is all a hedge is. They're exceptionally common, and institutions do them to be responsible, not to place a bet.

I fail to see any significant difference. You're gambling a small amount of money (the insurance premiums) against the larger amount you'll win (the expenses that you won't have to pay yourself) if events break that way. That -is- a gamble. All insurance is a gamble.

376 Comments. 19 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo