Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Russ Whiteman

Real Name Russ Whiteman   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Stormsinger
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 13, 2007, 01:11
Total Comments 386 (Amateur)
User ID 34954

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs May 17, 2017, 18:53 Stormsinger

HorrorScope wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:17:
Creston wrote on May 17, 2017, 13:51:
I like how they call it "over-charging" as opposed to "blatant theft" which is what it really is.

Yep, love how they can water down crimes like this, we all need to incorporate ourselves.
Unless you've got the money to buy a legislator or six, incorporation won't help.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered Announced; Original Game Going Free
6. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 26, 2017, 15:00 Stormsinger

My first question (and only) is whether it will be an always-online game. If it is, I'll pass.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 19, 2017, 15:01 Stormsinger

"Freedom to roam to anywhere one pleases, and to do anything one wants in any order."

Well, anywhere and anything that the developers thought of and included. That's a pretty limited version of "any".

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
26. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Mar 1, 2017, 19:44 Stormsinger

dubfanatic wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 13:48:
Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:01:
It never ceases to amaze me. All these people want to live in the big, cool city...just like several million other people...and then bitch about everything being so expensive. It's a big country. Plenty of places with a low cost of living where you can still make good money. All their woes are entirely self-made.

Yeah, but those places aren't cool. Plus, you might have to live around *gasp* Trump supporters...

Well hell, that last one -is- a valid issue. I know -I- would be willing to shell out a pretty penny to get away from them.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
3. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 12, 2017, 23:19 Stormsinger

Tom wrote on Feb 12, 2017, 18:13:
Easy to blame the mayor here but Linux is a total failure as a desktop OS and there are strong fundamental reasons why that will never change.

(Windows is only a partial failure, firmly established as the least horrible option.)

-Maybe- that was true, right up until Microsoft spent a year proving that they consider your computer to be their property. No longer. They are now an active purveyor of malware, and are treated as such in this household.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs
30. Re: Activision Blizzard Record Results, Layoffs Feb 11, 2017, 14:11 Stormsinger

ViRGE wrote on Feb 11, 2017, 06:38:
They did indeed have a record year in terms of revenue. However their actual profitability was only so-so. The company made $966M on $6.61B, for a profit margin of ~15%. Last year they made just a bit less profit - $892M - on $4.66B in revenue. Which works out to a 19% margin.

Well yeah, when you point that out, it's obvious that they -had- to lay people off. Only a billion dollars of profit, what else could they do?

This kind of thinking (Activision's, not yours personally) is literally going to destroy our civilization. Short term above all is simply not a sustainable plan.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2017, 20:07 Stormsinger

Funny, I still get the same "you must sub" page. So, no...it doesn't appear to work.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 11, 2017, 19:14 Stormsinger

Seems almost like they're running out of relevant adjectives when they start calling litigation "wasteful".  

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA on Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
4. Re: SAG-AFTRA on Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Nov 5, 2016, 16:03 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Nov 5, 2016, 14:44:
Well said. And while it's often pointed out "the total voice acting hours on a AAA title are only 0.05%!!!1" just go play the game with the sound off and subtitles on and see how much you enjoy it.

Lack of unionization isn't just a problem in the videogame industry but in the GFX industry as well. Effects artists also work extremely long hours, have no job stability, and get no residuals.

It's not just a problem in specific industries, it's a nation-wide issue. 50 years of GOP propaganda has convinced too many wage-earners that their interests are best served by the lone-wolf model of economics. Which is pretty obviously bullshit if you spend even a few minutes thinking about the relative disparities of one-man vs one-corporation negotiations.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 13, 2016, 20:17 Stormsinger

SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 19:54:
Samsung Offers $100 Credit to Galaxy Note 7 Users.
For US customers only, fuck everyone else
At a whole $100, it's pretty much just a "fuck everyone everywhere" kind of offer.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
23. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 24, 2016, 18:17 Stormsinger

Verno wrote on Sep 24, 2016, 13:43:
Stormsinger wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 18:51:
I just stopped in to see what the MRAs were raving about this week. Come on guys, this is -way- too tame...I made popcorn and everything!

Come on guys agree with my views or you're a racist/bigot/misogynist Bandana
I didn't figure you for one of them, Verno...but with the apparent butthurt, I guess I missed something.

News Comments > Oculus Facing Political Backlash [Updated]
79. Re: Oculus Facing Political Backlash Sep 24, 2016, 12:50 Stormsinger

Quboid wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:59:
Slick wrote on Sep 23, 2016, 21:47:
I know I'm going way off topic, but I enjoy Keith Olbermann, he's articulate, perceptive, and unlike most liberal democrats, seems to have the ability to actually get MAD at the shit that should be making people MAD.

Watch this, and tell me what in the hell is going on in America:

https://youtu.be/D7d2ayLb2lg

I quite like him but he is very much seen as a whiny liberal elite and I think he preaches to the choir - i.e. he sounds good only to people who already agree with him. He donated money to the Democrats, which is an incredibly dumb and unethical thing for someone in his position to do. That's a terrible look for a newscaster, much worse than Luckey's foolishness.

Olbermann was never a "newscaster". He went from sportscaster straight to op-ed, because he was so effective at his rants about Bush. I don't really see how it's unethical for an oped host to be up front about his political donations. I do hope (but don't really expect) that he'll reconsider his party affiliations now that the DNC has been caught red-handed being involved in traditionally Republican practices of voter suppression and such.

14. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 23, 2016, 18:51 Stormsinger

I just stopped in to see what the MRAs were raving about this week. Come on guys, this is -way- too tame...I made popcorn and everything!  

2. Re: Morning Interviews Sep 7, 2016, 18:52 Stormsinger

Yep, around and around we go.

Honestly, the only positive thing I've seen come out of Gamergate was the increased awareness of the term SJW. Which functions quite admirably as a flag...I find that the people who use the term disparagingly (which is pretty much everyone who uses the term) are those I have no particular interest in interacting with. In effect, it's a quick way for assholes to signal their assholery.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 31, 2016, 20:58 Stormsinger

You guys might be being a bit too hard on him. Maybe "adult conversation" means we can swear at him this time...  

News Comments > Space Rangers: Quest Announced
7. Re: Space Rangers: Quest Announced Aug 25, 2016, 19:21 Stormsinger

Kxmode wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 17:22:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 25, 2016, 14:27:
epic text battles? lol is this a joke?

Don't judge. There's obviously a market for it.
I played online text games for years, and I can imagine very few things more atrocious sounding than trying to play a text game on a phone. I'd rather be castrated with a rusty spoon.

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 21, 2016, 13:13 Stormsinger

“We don’t have time to wait for official dev tools to fix what can be fixed by us."

The most hilarious line I've read this week. I guess I missed the deadline for modding a new game...

News Comments > No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds
57. Re: No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds Aug 12, 2016, 20:21 Stormsinger

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 19:55:
Stormsinger wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 18:59:
NKD wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 12:31:
Moog wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 11:55:

I thought it was traditional to QA a product *before* release!

Oooohohohoho. I don't know when that was.
That would have been before the internet removed the costs involved in releasing patches. Prior to that, a company had to ship disks to their customers, so they made a -serious- effort to ensure the game was playable out of the box.
Those days were horrible for both the consumer and the developer. This is the golden age of computer gaming.
I don't necessarily disagree that things gaming are generally better now. But in that one area (QA), it was definitely better then.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds
55. Re: No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds Aug 12, 2016, 18:59 Stormsinger

NKD wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 12:31:
Moog wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 11:55:

I thought it was traditional to QA a product *before* release!

Oooohohohoho. I don't know when that was.
That would have been before the internet removed the costs involved in releasing patches. Prior to that, a company had to ship disks to their customers, so they made a -serious- effort to ensure the game was playable out of the box.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 15, 2016, 20:03 Stormsinger

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 14:08:
Project Fi only supports 2 phones...

Yep, I've been on it for almost a year now. The flexibility in terms of data usage is great, but you do pay a premium for a phone that works on all those networks.

386 Comments. 20 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo