Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3201 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2018, 15:31 Flatline

The spoilers for Avengers is bullshit.

It took less than a week for stories to start popping up in my feed where the titles actually spoil the end of the film.

I won't replicate them here but I'm fairly pissed off since it completely killed my desire to see the movie.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 6, 2018, 15:28 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on May 6, 2018, 13:31:
Tbh the real problem is that most people probably don't even know how to get to it.

Ps.: And just to mention that, but the 1803 update for W10 reset my hosts file causing me tons of issues with my routing until I figured this out.. so yay.

Well gee, I wonder why people are all talking sarcastically about MS products....

The real problem is that it breaks the windows paradigm. Right now there's this really weird mid-point for most users where their UX is informed by Apple (seriously, I have dozens of f*cking civil engineers who don't realize that a program can be installed on a computer without it being on the desktop. Thanks Apple!) and the windows paradigm of installing programs the old fashioned way.

Not to mention the full screen tablet version of windows that W10 tries to go into every time you launch an app makes me want to throw my computer against the wall. It's just easier to avoid it entirely. In fact I access the start menu as infrequently as I possibly can in W10. 99% of what I need can be found right-clicking it or searching.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch
16. Re: Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch May 2, 2018, 15:39 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 2, 2018, 15:27:
You also missed that D2 had half the amount of things to do than D1 with pretty much exactly the same engine/graphics/enemies/game play.

I don't think it's fair to compare D1 after several years of content expansions to launch D2.

But, that missing content probably should have come fairly quickly and been in the pipeline. It's been out now for nearly a year and the added content is... ah... anemic.

12. Re: Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch May 2, 2018, 15:05 Flatline

Darks wrote on May 2, 2018, 13:29:
You clearly haven't played the game. The monetization going on in the game was very minimal. Everything in the game was achievable by just playing the game and leveling up getting the same items anyone could buy with real money if they wanted to.

People like you kill me with your over stating the obvious when it suits your cause. Try lying a little more, and maybe we might believe you.

And the monetary system in the game had nothing to do with the games faults. that would be the lack of things to do and end game issues and the lack of a proper grouping system for people to do raids and Nightfall's.

Like I said, you clearly haven't played the game.

There's three issues I can see with Destiny 2.

1. A lot of the subsystems are designed around the Eververse and a constant attrition of items you earn or buy. Shader library limitations, shaders now being consumable, limits on ships and sparrows, etc... Destiny 1, from what I could see, had *tons* of collectibles for your character to grind to get and use and show off. Now a lot of that is locked behind a consumable mindset to direct you towards the Eververse. Supposedly that is changing.

2. The first DLC sucked. Like. Seriously. Sucked. It was tiny and not fun and the Infinite Forest was walled off behind missions. In the weeks after it dropped I saw a huge exodus of players.

3. Bungie has a problem communicating with the community. It's so bad it's hard to understand WTF is going on. They're trying to work on it but I can't see why the first 6 months was a "fuck those assholes" kind of attitude towards the community.

There are other issues, end game raid content was bizarre and not much fun, but with steadily increasing content that would have been minimized. The big 3- the obvious system design around Eververse, the anemic first DLC out of the gate, and the lack of communication seems really to be what killed the game off.

Here's hoping that the Warmind expansion on the 8th actually has some content.

11. Re: Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch May 2, 2018, 14:59 Flatline

Prez wrote on May 2, 2018, 12:42:
It had a strong PC launch because a lot of PC gamers like myself looked at the first Destiny and liked what we saw (once it was actually finished anyway) and were thrilled to see the sequel getting a PC release. Speaking only for myself I assumed that Destiny 2 at launch would be at least as good as Destiny ended up after lots of updates. And initially it seemed that way - the core mechanics were very solid and the graphics were great. The story was good enough at least, and the voice acting was good. But instead of growing the game in the manner that the original Destiny was improved over time, Activision/Bungie opted to focus on monetization to the detriment of everything else. So fuck 'em. I'm done with Activision and Bungie. And with every other fuckwit publisher who prioritizes financial gain over real gameplay content and improvements.

Yup. I had friends who were hard into Destiny 1 and migrated to the PC for Destiny 2 and invited me in. They have all moved on now to Overwatch which isn't my bag sadly.

Plus, they obsess over OWL and frankly I can't get into it because it seems like every 2 weeks we find out someone is rapey, or racist, or an asshole, or just a miserable human and I've given up on even trying to pay attention.

News Comments > Get The Witcher Free
32. Re: Get The Witcher Free May 2, 2018, 01:59 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 12:35:
All in all it's overly long but if you've got 40+ hours and don't mind clumsy combat and clumsy writing which feigns neutrality while constantly forcing you to choose sides, go for it.

I'm in the minority but many of the quests are terribly written (chap 3 bank job, Shanni and Triss) and the constant false choices (chap 1 Abigail). Forced to play as a poorly written egotistical male instead of creating your own Witcher (male or female, good or bad or neutral) then learning about the world, while doing the main quest to find out what happened to the magical widget.

Before I'm mobbed and set upon with tar, feathers and ritual burning because 'women can't be witchers' and 'o'meh god geralt is teh greatest'. In the very first game (this one) iirc, there is some(thing/one) so powerful that can literally travel to any time, change time, perception and reality itself. Not to mention the final story arc. I just wanted to say

Did you play the director's cut/expanded version of the original Witcher? The writing in the original release blew. Clearly not written by people who were fluent in English. By the time the expanded version came out the writing was significantly better.

I had issues with a lot of the more minor systems of the game, plus that eye-gougingly slow beginning with the haunted dogs. The game got a lot better though.

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
15. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 27, 2018, 15:48 Flatline

MattyC wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:19:
I think we will see a mode similar to battle royal for Overwatch.

I"m curious how the hell that would work when part of the battle royale format is about scrounging for weapons and abilities and stuff.

Not to mention the Overwatch characters would be of wildly different use.

"Oooh I'm Mercy! I... heal people. In a 1vAll battle royale. Yay."

"I'm Soldier 76 I get auto-aim for my ultimate"

14. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 27, 2018, 15:45 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:30:
MattyC wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:19:
Laugh2
As though Blizzard could make anything in time to cash in on a fad. W

You mean unlike they have ever done before since they basically came into existence?

Dune2 -> Warcraft
C&C -> Warcraft 2
Any MMO that came out before it -> World of Warcraft
Numerous Online card games -> Hearthstone
Numerous MOBAs -> HOTS

Yeah, basically the only original IP gameplay wise Blizzard have to their name is Diablo...

If you're familiar with the development of Diablo, that's because Blizzard North was an entirely different company that merged with Blizzard.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 27, 2018, 14:21 Flatline

120 dollars might actually be the point where I quit. I"ll get to renew before the new pricing goes into effect for me, but in the last 6 months I've watched almost zero Prime Video, my purchases have all qualified for free slow shipping, and the other prime goodies don't especially appeal to me. Maybe that'll change in a year when I finally get hit with the new rate but probably not.  

7. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 27, 2018, 13:50 Flatline

Fion wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 13:21:
But.. don't they already have one of those? It's very successful and continues to make Acti/Blizz a fortune.

What's this about wanting a single player game from Blizzard? They don't make single player games, though they do make games focused toward multiplayer co-op, or a multiplayer game with a co-op/singleplayer campaign included.

Well yeah they have overwatch. But this is probably to try to cash in on the battle royale format.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Released
32. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 19:54 Flatline

Hump wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 17:45:
Wasn't this supposed to come out on mobile platforms as well?

Not that I'm aware of. It may eventually. Shadowrun did.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Warmind Details
6. Re: Destiny 2 Warmind Details Apr 25, 2018, 17:22 Flatline

ledhead1969 wrote on Apr 25, 2018, 01:19:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 23:17:
I have always felt that the problem with Destiny and Destiny 2 is that they don't seem to understand the market share they draw with this type of game. They keep creating content that is grindier than a South Korean MMO for an audience that just wants to shoot shit and pick up loot. The audience, I believe, wants more Borderlands and less "new age shooter MMO"....and that has been the case since the beginning of Destiny 1, that isn't new with Destiny 2.

The problem with the game is that the end game content is far too easy. Teams clear raids in the first 4 hours of its release. There is no challenge.

They need to make the raids difficult so it extends these content drops past a month or maybe 2 months. No one wants Borderlands. We want content that is truly challenging. Unfortunately, every raid caters to casuals.

As soon as CoD or GoW or Halo or whatever copy their model, and introduce challenging end game content, Bungie has no need to get better. God help them if Blizzard makes a Destiny killer. EA has one in dev but it's EA so they will screw it up.

Blizzard released Overwatch already. Next game won't be due for 9 more years.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Released
27. Re: BATTLETECH Released Apr 25, 2018, 16:18 Flatline

I'm having a blast too. I got my money's worth on the kickstarter with the beta but this is great.

I agree the ship UI seems clunky, and the travel mechanic made my head hurt for about 10 seconds. But I adapted pretty quickly.

And for people who are complaining that the graphics are kind of meh, I agree they aren't spectacular, but this was kickstarted on a 3 million dollar budget, not including late pledges and whatever Harebrained kicked in on their own. It's absolutely *not* a AAA game. It's actually pretty impressive going through the original Kickstarter page how close the launch product is to the goals and stretch goals.

That being said, for it's budget and scope it's exceeding my expectations. Considering that the shadowrun games all pumped out a director's edition and spawned sequels, I have high hopes that Battletech will get the co-op or additional expansions that will make it a lot of fun.

Edit: So considering that they're going through most of Jordan Weisman's old IP from the FASA days, is anyone else secretly hoping against hope they do Crimson Skies at some point?

News Comments > Destiny 2 Warmind Details Tomorrow
6. Re: Destiny 2 Warmind Details Tomorrow Apr 24, 2018, 12:53 Flatline

Prez wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 10:13:
HoSpanky wrote on Apr 24, 2018, 10:11:
My wife bought me this for Christmas. I just actually started playing it a couple days ago. I played they the original Destiny, didnít buy any dlc, didnít bother with the raids beyond a couple basic runs.

Iím assuming this will be fun thru the campaign and then Iíll be done with it. The framerate is buttery smooth, the game looks gorgeous, and the gunplay feels solid. Thatís really all I expect of it.

All that is true. After the campaign is over the end game sucks.

It's kind of fun leveling your gear until you get within like 20 points of the level cap and then it becomes one of the least-fun slogs I've ever experienced with metered progress. Mainly because the loot you generate is boring AF. Hopefully the exotics pass that's incoming will make things interesting again.

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews Apr 24, 2018, 11:57 Flatline

Battletech is getting points apparently for it's AI. That's a good sign. Glad my 100+ beta battles helped build the AI.

Also, apparently Rock, Paper, Shotgun found it boring due to pauses and animations and stuff. Plus the author sounds like he's not a particular Battletech fan.

News Comments > Valve Acquires Campo Santo
33. Re: Valve Acquires Campo Santo Apr 23, 2018, 14:43 Flatline

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 15:45:
Hrm. Firewatch was pretty good for a large portion of it, but the ending was...a letdown. Yes, it's a glorified walking simulator, but I'll be damned if what was happening didn't freak me out. Shame the ending isn't as awesome as the rest of the story, but I think it's meant to be a "the drama we create isn't nearly as exciting as WE think it is" lesson?

Maybe they've taken the criticism of it to heart, and their next game will have a more satisfying ending.

Man I guess I'm just in the minority that the story turned out to be kind of real and not some x-files conspiracy story.

As for the very end of missing Delilah... Sure it was disappointing, but so much in life is. Especially in the middle of an emergency like that. Things don't resolve neatly. It's part of why we get PTSD after emergencies.

I don't play many walking simulators. I played The Stanley Parable and that's about it other than Firewatch, so maybe I wasn't burned out when I played it. Or maybe it hit me in the right time of life.

I enjoyed it a lot. And while Delilah was kind of kooky/manic pixie dream girl from the beginning, once you got into the story, a lot of the banter felt like the kind of banter you might have with someone after you've done a routine many times over. I've had multiple friends that fit that kind of relationship/friendship. It felt more natural to me than Wheadon-dialogue does.

It also helped that Firewatch was *gorgeous*.

News Comments > Valve Acquires Campo Santo
32. Re: Valve Acquires Campo Santo Apr 23, 2018, 14:37 Flatline

Verno wrote on Apr 23, 2018, 11:46:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 22, 2018, 17:25:
Oh no, unlimited time and funding for a good group of developers, what terrible news.

Unlimited time and funding sure, I don't know about good. I never played Mark of The Ninja but Walking Dead was really uneven and Firewatch was straight up bad in my opinion. I guess maybe I just don't care for walking sims.

If nothing else at least they will hopefully help Valve produce something again.

WTF?

Mark of the Ninja, Walking Dead, and Firewatch were made by 3 different devs: Klei Entertainment, I'm assuming Telltale, and Campo Santo.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Adds New Mode
5. Re: MechWarrior Online Adds New Mode Apr 18, 2018, 13:39 Flatline

Primalchrome wrote on Apr 18, 2018, 12:44:
Yeah, no clue why this hasn't been in the game for years. When I was playing regularly, you had to set up custom matches that were like Thunderdome. Bunch of unit members standing around watching 1v1's and waiting their turn.

And with regards to F2P, MWO has a much more palatable grind and matchmaking than something like World of Tanks/Warships/Warplanes.

I played the crap out of MWO back in the day. Dropped money on it too. As soon as they introduced paid coolant charges I left.

Fuck that Pay2Win bullshit.

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 1M
17. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 1M Apr 13, 2018, 13:45 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 13, 2018, 02:29:
Tumbler wrote on Apr 12, 2018, 15:17:
Was there any news on why this started out at 29.99? Hitting 1 million sales seems like a big deal, I don't remember much about the original and didn't know they were making a sequel...

And how come Warhammer keeps getting kick ass games but Warhammer 40k keeps missing the mark? Can we start asking companies that put out good Warhammer games to follow up with a 40k add on or something?

Getting really fucking jealous over here.

FFS, even blood bowl is more fun than most 40k games I've tried lately.

The Space Hulk game is getting a huge free "update" that should hopefully NOT make it suck as much as it did on release. It was basically supposed to be Vermintide in space with Terminators and Genestealers, but the devs somehow managed to fuck it up. Still I will wait for the Enhanced Edition and give it anoher whirl. Hope dies last and all....

My issues with Deathwatch or whatever the Space Hulk game is called is that

1. Psi abilities get charged through combat and it charges so slow I basically never remember they're there. Way too stingy with psi.

2. Honestly, while I only go through like mission 4 or so, the guns that have been added beyond the standard storm bolter are... well... not as good. They aren't as good at range and they all kind of feel meh.

3. Movement is too slow. I get that we're in terminator armor but FFS between the huge levels and the slow movement it's painful.

4. The 'nids come at you so hard and fast and thick that the different kinds of 'nids are basically lost on me. I know there's shooty cult hybrids and standard nids and cloaking nids and something else but... Eh.

5. The director AI in Left 4 Dead 1 & 2 is *sorely* missed here.

6. Oh, I liked the relics and crap, but seriously, finding them sucks. They charge your psi though so it's important to find them if you ever want to use that stuff.

I don't think the uber patch is going to matter, and PC users had most of the benefits of the uber patch for a while now.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Trailer
21. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 18:13 Flatline

verybad1 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 15:37:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 14:07:
"Game of Thrones meets Pacific Rim in space"

What sad about that analogy is the Battletech predates both of those IPs.

Yep. I played Battletech in highschool. I'm 47 now...

I found my copy of Battledroids before Lucas sued them for using "Droids" just last month.

3201 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo