Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2894 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
17. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 21:48 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 19:50:
The Libertarian movement in the US generally seems very genuine (excluding Tea Party types who want oversight over lots of things). They could do a lot of good if they broke into the mainstream enough so issues had 3 sides instead of 2.

The Libertarian party honest-to-god doesn't see a problem with 6 year old shooting heroin, but thinks that drivers licenses to prove competency driving are the beginnings of slavery.

And that's not hyperbole, that's straight from the Libertarian convention debates.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 21:46 Flatline

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 19, 2017, 14:49:
Perhaps you are confusing libertarianism with anarchism? "Libertarian" is not a form (or lack) of government, it describes an individual that uses common sense and their own moral compass to approach each issue individually rather than mindlessly toe a party line.

Oh hey look quite literally the common sense fallacy at work!

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI Demo
10. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI Demo Mar 17, 2017, 17:34 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 20:59:
I got the game for free and I'm glad I did or I would have been pissed. First Civ I've never liked. Skip it and stick with V or wait until it's $10 or less at the very least.

I think it's funny Civ 5 was blasted and Civ4 the darling last time around.

Anyway, I agree there's something missing about 6. I haven't played a full game through yet.I always get bored/frustrated/depressed somewhere around the beginning of the renaissance and just quit.

That and I had to turn off barbarians. I used to enjoy them in previous games but their spawn rate and technology tree is bullshit. I spend most of those games desperately trying to survive from the constant barbarian encampment spawns and have almost no time for any of the other civs.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: New GeForce Drivers and GTX 1080 Ti Reviews Mar 17, 2017, 17:09 Flatline

descender wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 15:37:
I wonder how far along our technology has to progress before the general public will understand that "space dogfighting" is not and will never be a thing.

So regular fantasy with elves and dragons and shit is okay but sci-fi fantasy is bullshit and too much?

Whatever...

News Comments > MS Game Chat Transcription
2. Re: MS Game Chat Transcription Mar 16, 2017, 17:40 Flatline

Oh boy! Now I can have windows 10 translate the toxic spewing waste of 12 year olds into an endless text stream.

My life is now complete.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
22. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 14:54 Flatline

Alamar wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 12:12:
I'm having a hard time getting upset about this...

I fully support peoples choice to stick with an older version of Windows, and this note doesn't imply that that choice can't continue... It's merely MS stating they don't want to keep paying to support combinations that they don't want to.

Windows XP? Sure I'm down with that. Vista? Okay I can see that since it EOL's in like a month.

But 7 is still sold and supported. 8.1 is still sold and supported and will be for years.

The CPU architecture isn't fundamentally different. Windows 7 still runs fine on the newer chipsets. MS is just arbitrarily deciding "F*ck you you're going to use Windows 10"

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 16, 2017, 13:21 Flatline

Fun fact:

You get YouTube Red for free if you sign up for google music service. Might as well sign up for the music service at that point.

News Comments > Game Reviews
48. Re: Game Reviews Mar 16, 2017, 12:24 Flatline

Verno wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 10:55:
In case anyone was wondering why the writing is so awful, its good ol' Mac Walters again. This time with even less writers on the team to even him out. Also they gave this guy a whole game to direct after the Mass Effect 3 ending nonsense? Haha.

I guess Bioware decided they wanted consistent (bad) writing?

The writing in ME3 was *so* uneven. I mean, on one hand you had Mordin's story which was one of the best of the entire series. Even Tali's story with the Geth was significant and moving.

On the other you had the end-o-tron 3000 that spit out 3 different colored endings and managed to screw up the whole ubermensch idea that was one of the themes in ME2 & ME3.

So I guess... knowing that they couldn't always hit it out of the park, they decided to get hit by the pitch and take a base.

News Comments > Sailaway Announced
5. Re: Sailaway Announced Mar 16, 2017, 12:16 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 07:05:
After investing about 200+ hours into Naval Action. I wonder how that particular game is doing. Was great fun, however needed serious work in the UI and mission department.

Came in here to say they seriously need tall ships in this simulation.

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
12. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 16, 2017, 12:07 Flatline

Cmdr Shepard's Pie wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:35:
WaltC wrote on Mar 16, 2017, 11:29:
I think the actual translation here is that really, really old cpus (probably ten years old or older) won't be updated by Microsoft any further in Win10 and from now on. The older cpus lack the necessary hardware for security enforcement (NX bit, etc.) People are always misunderstanding technology in some way, it seems. It won't be too long before even 32-bit CPUs are no longer supported. Progress marches on, etc.

I think maybe you've got it backwards. It would make some sense if they said "Windows 10 won't run on older CPUs because the newer ones have features we need." (SSE, NX, 64-bit, etc.) What they are saying though, is that Microsoft will discourage you to install, and won't support running older versions of Windows (like 7) on new CPUs, which makes no sense at all, especially as they continue to allow and support Windows 7 for older processors (prior to SkyLake). (Other than to make sure people don't stay on Windows 7, and upgrade to their new DRM/advertising platform.)

I realize 7 is old, but it's still the most popular OS, and many people don't want to change their OS with a hardware upgrade. We never really had to do that before (except Microsoft limited DirectX 10 to Vista+, and 12 with 10+, neither of which really provided much benefit over their respective predecessors), but now Microsoft is forcing an upgrade by limiting the functionality and support for the OS itself, even before the OS loses official support in general.

Can confirm. Recently bought a lenovo laptop that had an I3 processor in it based on the new architecture. No drivers for any OS except Windows 10.

News Comments > Game Reviews
28. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 15, 2017, 16:42 Flatline

Task wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 16:08:
Jeez. Just started reading RPS piece for Andromeda and the first few paragraphs are about how terrible the writing and characters are. Kotaku's first impression doesn't mention it for some reason, but it's Patricia - she seems more like a lot of gamers that are into really simpleton stuff.

I was afraid of this - what happened to you Bioware? I had planned on a day one purchase, not so sure now. I had purposely avoided watching all the trailers and vids to avoid spoilers too.

I loved me some Mass Effect, but ME: Andromeda seemed like a game I didn't particularly want let alone need.

Maybe it's because my taste for the universe was spoiled by the ME3 end-o-tron phone in they did. It made like 80 hours of effort feel cheap, and I'm not eager to jump into *any* new bioware effort after that.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Adds Content
7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2017, 11:57 Flatline

Is it worth buying now?  

News Comments > Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3
20. Re: Starbreeze Investing in System Shock 3 Mar 15, 2017, 11:56 Flatline

Alamar wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 10:55:
Qbex . wrote on Mar 15, 2017, 04:34:
Great, SB already botched one of my beloved classic by making that dogshit Syndicate remake. Now they involved in another of my all time favorite. If only this was time of Riddick's Starbreeze I would be over the moon with the news but now I'm expecting the worst. In fact from what I've read all the talent from former SB went to MachineGames.

System Shock was already a shooter, so it can't go the way of a Syndicate remake ; )

Don't challenge them.

PRESS RELEASE: System Shock 3 to be a Freemium farmville-style mobile app.

Build your Space Station. Get taunted by SHODAN. Head to Head Multiplayer competition. Prepare to be SHOCKED. SYSTEM SHOCK. 3.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
18. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 8, 2017, 17:21 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 16:13:
Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 11:31:
There are reasons to complain about Macs and about Apple in particular. But IBMs well documented switch to Macs for enterprise resulting in drastically lower total cost of ownership makes it pretty clear that Macs are a viable enterprise computing device. They cost more up front, but they also require vastly less user and technical support, leading to smaller IT budgets overall.

Please. I have ~ 30 users that use Macs, and they open just as many, if not more, tickets as my Windows users do. Their apps are just as shitty as the Windows apps, but now you have to find another way to fix it.

I've also been trying to unlock two iPads where the users forgot their unlock codes, and literally no solution works. They won't go into recovery mode, they won't go into DFU mode, nothing. No combination of arcane button presses works. (And why can't you just boot into a simple menu where you CHOOSE which mode you want? Oh wait, Steve Jobs hated buttons. Ugh.)

I'm taking them to the Apple store tomorrow in the hopes that they can get something done.

"Ready for the enterprise." Uh-huh.

iOS devices are only ready for the enterprise if you buy expensive 3rd party software to manage them.

I nearly flipped my desk when I read that Apple yanked their windows based profile deployment tool for iOS devices and never replaced it.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 8, 2017, 16:47 Flatline

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 11:31:
There are reasons to complain about Macs and about Apple in particular. But IBMs well documented switch to Macs for enterprise resulting in drastically lower total cost of ownership makes it pretty clear that Macs are a viable enterprise computing device. They cost more up front, but they also require vastly less user and technical support, leading to smaller IT budgets overall.

Working in IT the "vastly less user and technical support" claim is bogus. Apple has not created an idiot proof operating system. They've created a slightly idiot resistant OS. As soon as something goes boom, really digging into mac issues is like pulling teeth.

News Comments > Free Syberia II
6. Re: Free Syberia II Mar 8, 2017, 16:37 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 8, 2017, 09:40:
I love these Free on the house deals. Years ago I got Portal for free on Steam, still waiting for Half Life.

HL or HL2? I have a HL2 gift from like 10 years ago.

I have I think the whole company of heroes to gift too. Can't give games away these days.

News Comments > Dawn of War III in April
8. Re: Dawn of War III in April Mar 6, 2017, 21:41 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 20:49:
Only 3 races, only 4 worlds, and a combination campaign.

Nothing about this screams "GET IT GET IT GET IT!" to me.

There will be an inevitable dark crusade style campaign expansion I bet that will represent the pinnacle of the game's life.

I did go back and play through Company of Heroes and the first two dawn of war games. Man that's some fun. A lot of people didn't like DOW2 but I always had fun with it. I clocked something like 60 hours in it on Steam.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
21. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 22:45 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 20:42:
Flatline wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:52:
Glad to see Firewatch catch a few awards. I played it once a year ago, and I keep coming back to it every few months.

I know it's a walking simulator and the story kind of ends on an off note, but something about it really got to me.

Also, going through the director's commentary, you don't notice it, but there is a massive amount of variability going on under the hood.

Between Firewatch and Skyrim, I really, really want a pure exploration/hiking game. Something massive where you can hike, climb peaks, maybe hang glide, spelunk, raft, maybe do some tools to set up orienteering races, topo maps, GPS, etc.. Maybe even some survival woodscrafting if you really wanted to.

In my mind's eye I call the game Range. Modeled after a smoosh of the Sierra Nevadas, the Cascades, and the Appalachians. Maybe include some geography similar to Zion or the Grand Canyon. Make it moddable so you can add terrain modules and share them. Create a central server that you can opt into that over time tracks players who follow tracks and create use trails and use campsites and semi-permanent modifications from frequent use.

Throw in a VR option and some solid screenshot/photography tools and I think you have a complete package.

I don't know how much of a market there'd be for a game like that, but I'd pay for it.

Good news! Your game has already been made and it has a HUGE market! Come join the fun, you've been missing out!

=-Rigs-=

Minecraft scratches a lot of those itches but it isn't quite there. Subnautica actually comes closer but it doesn't quite scratch the itch that wandering through Skyrim or any of the elder scrolls games do.

Firewatch nails it hard but the game area is small enough that it makes me basically just want more.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
9. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 12:52 Flatline

Glad to see Firewatch catch a few awards. I played it once a year ago, and I keep coming back to it every few months.

I know it's a walking simulator and the story kind of ends on an off note, but something about it really got to me.

Also, going through the director's commentary, you don't notice it, but there is a massive amount of variability going on under the hood.

Between Firewatch and Skyrim, I really, really want a pure exploration/hiking game. Something massive where you can hike, climb peaks, maybe hang glide, spelunk, raft, maybe do some tools to set up orienteering races, topo maps, GPS, etc.. Maybe even some survival woodscrafting if you really wanted to.

In my mind's eye I call the game Range. Modeled after a smoosh of the Sierra Nevadas, the Cascades, and the Appalachians. Maybe include some geography similar to Zion or the Grand Canyon. Make it moddable so you can add terrain modules and share them. Create a central server that you can opt into that over time tracks players who follow tracks and create use trails and use campsites and semi-permanent modifications from frequent use.

Throw in a VR option and some solid screenshot/photography tools and I think you have a complete package.

I don't know how much of a market there'd be for a game like that, but I'd pay for it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2017, 15:36 Flatline

BobBob wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 13:20:
Flatline wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 13:01:
And probably this is a good thing. Back in the day you could commit someone against their will and basically lock them up and forget about them. There's some real horror stories about husbands doing that to their wives, political and legal retribution, etc...

On the flip side it's harder to get help for someone who doesn't want help. Real nightmare for paranoid schizophrenics who freak out at the idea of getting help.

It went extreme in the wrong direction. How many times has a mass shooter known to have an undiagnosed, untreated or unsupervised mental illness? Approximately 30% of homeless people are mentally ill, trapped in their own mental nightmare and cannot get out because they are too ill, impoverished, depressed, or paranoid to seek treatment. There needs to be some kind of evaluation system to force treatment or supervision on people who are obviously hurting themselves or a potential danger to others.

We can thank Reagan for this. And many believe Trump to be the next Reagan. If true, we are fucked.

However, there is a sliver of hope.

Very true. There probably is a sane middle point that we can reach.

And you're dead right about Reagan. He hosed California's mental health system really good back when he was Governor. I don't know anyone who has a severely mentally ill family member in California that doesn't spit on his name.

Why we haven't fixed the system though I'm not sure.

2894 Comments. 145 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo