Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2958 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed
29. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed Jun 12, 2017, 22:44 Flatline

Icewind wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 18:04:
So the KKK is in the trailer working alongside the Nazis...

Guess the writers never got the memo that the Klan is a masonic organization and Hitler was vehemently anti Freemason.

Yeah but the SS had a whole made up mythology behind it and was willing to co-opt almost anything to enhance it's power.

I can easily see a "purged and rebuilt" KKK that acts as kind of an SS-lite organization. The flunkies who you don't want weilding real power but still have to give a job because their daddies have some measure of influence get shoved into the KKK as a backwater to feel proud over while the people with real potential get moved on to the secret societies that award power. Either that or it's what the shit dregs of humanity organize into to distract them from the real business of ruling.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Skull & Bones Announced
2. Re: Skull & Bones Announced Jun 12, 2017, 22:16 Flatline

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 21:39:
So the best parts of AC: Black Flag?

Considering I stopped caring about AC after that game and just played Black Flag...

I'm okay with this.

I would prefer something about 100-150 years later than what they're showing, more of a Napoleonic era, but I understand why they stick with the late 1600's.

Also, it looks like they're going more Pirates of the Caribbean than AC "historical".

Again, not a problem with this.

16. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 12:49 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 12:10:
Looks pretty good, and I enjoyed the first reboot+Old Blood, so this is pretty much a guaranteed buy for me.

Nice to see Blazowicz has shrugged off another 7-8(?) month coma, while being partially paralyzed(?) and still kept all his muscle mass, and about 5% body fat.

These video clips are reminding me a little of the last Bioshock; a twisted dystopian version of stereotypical America, but NPCs still walking around, living their little lives.

tl,dr: I need to put some serious effort into working on the queue.

I know Bioshock Infinity got a lot of crap for Columbia (and it's weird ending, which I loved), but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced
5. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 12:13 Flatline

Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:46:
its the most interesting setting they ever done IMO - but then im all about the ancient history stuff, especially bronze age.. bonus points for the ship combat and exploration - on a primitive longboat as well, thats gonna be crazy

i heard they have a whole new combat system.. man i hope so, AC combat is so lame at this point.. wait for counter - kill.. wait for counter - kill... shoot, shoot, wait for counter. etc. etc. etc.

They need a new combat system. Going back in time means that a lot of the mechanics we've gotten used to probably won't be available.

Looks good, but I've burned out on Ass Creed a while back. I was hoping for something *really* different. Wuxia tinged Chinese setting or something like that. They've hinted at that.

Either that or bite the bullet and give us a modern/modern-ish Ass Creed.

12. Re: On Overwatch Mei Skins Jun 12, 2017, 12:06 Flatline

Task wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:57:
Looks interesting. These rebooted ones remind me of the book Man in The High Castle with super cereal Hyper-Nazis.

Yeah I'm sure they're taking MITHC vibes for the game. Which I'm completely okay with.

10. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed Jun 12, 2017, 11:42 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:24:
Never finished the first. Something about the combat felt so off to me, I think it was either the feel of the guns or the reaction of the enemies to getting shot. Made it maybe more than half way, and just lost interest (I think FC4 may have come out during my playthrough.)

I liked everything around the combat considerably, though. The only exception may have been the sex scene, which just felt so tonally jarring. Video game sex scenes always strike me as weirdly awkward, but some (like The Witcher 3) make sense in the context. Well, I guess it did in the context here, too, but didn't feel like it in the tone.

Otherwise, they built such great everything around the combat, but the combat just felt "off" to me.

They definitely didn't make the sex scene sexy. It felt more desperate. Broken people taking a break from being broken.

I liked it. But I have to ask how BJ survived the island getting nuked. Maybe he jumped inside a fridge?

News Comments > DiRT 4 Trailer
3. Re: DiRT 4 Trailer Jun 6, 2017, 15:27 Flatline

IgWannA wrote on Jun 6, 2017, 14:56:
From what I hear they've dumbed down the physics from Dirt Rally and content is lacking, which is a shame.

Yeah, the main dirt series seems like it's more of an arcade racer.

Too bad too. I love me some Dirt Rally. I'd pay to have more of it.

News Comments > Diablo III Rise of the Necromancer Rewards
7. Re: Diablo III Rise of the Necromancer Rewards Jun 5, 2017, 22:03 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Jun 5, 2017, 21:50:
The gameplay of the Necro is good enough to pay for, provided you are still interested in the game of course. Not 20 bucks....maybe more like 10 or so? I am sure it will be more than that though.

I'd pay 5.

I'm betting it'll be 20 or 30 though. They've been hyping and working on this too long to not charge an absurd amount of money for it.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 5, 2017, 13:10 Flatline

I never got watching esports.

I'm not a huge sports fan anyway so maybe that's me, but watching someone play video games was always about as fun as watching paint dry.

But... yay?

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews Jun 3, 2017, 19:23 Flatline

Asmodai wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 19:28:
Flatline wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 16:17:
The real test will be the PvP and the emerging meta out of that.

I kinda despise that "meta" is the new term for "favourite of the month" or min/max. Nothing ruins a game faster than a guaranteed formula for success, eg. the constant changes of MWO which makes default mecha configurations completely useless because of the current "meta". Many mechs that just flat out suck in their default config in a twitch shooter were quite effective on the table top if used to the strengths.

Eh... for me the term got started in Magic The Gathering, and it's a valid term to discuss the thought processes that are going around the community and how additions change the tactics and strategies used. I use it for the X-Wing minis game too because each new wave changes things pretty significantly.

In this case there's reference to water being obscenely overpowered, and ballistics, especially the AC/5 and AC/10, being better than energy mainstays like the PPC. And part of the problem with that evaluation is that the AI isn't particularly good, and we need to play against other humans to see if energy weapons are still effective but just need an adjustment to their tactics.

Right now people are complaining that the classic firing cycles of TT mechs aren't effective or are overheating or whatnot. And part of that is porting the TT mindset over to the game. Already people are starting to adapt to the initiative system and using it to develop separate strategies for recon mechs. That will accelerate as people play each other I think.

In those cases, especially the initiative system, I have no problem referring to such discussions as the metagame.

6. Re: Morning Previews Jun 2, 2017, 16:19 Flatline

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 12:38:
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 11:21:
Im very excited for this. An immersive mercenary single player campaign, and a well fleshed out multiplayer component based on the Battletech universe and rulebook?

What on Terra could be better?

As long as you understand that "based on" is not a 1:1 translation of the rules. Still a fun game, even though it's a little skirmish game right now.

Off the top of my head, weapons are being tweaked/modified a lot, the initiative system is *very* different (but people are starting to figure out how to game it properly), and the heat system is abbreviated right now.

Knockdown is weird, and there's a bracing action that you use periodically if you're getting unstable.

5. Re: Morning Previews Jun 2, 2017, 16:17 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 15:01:
Currently there's some balance issues. LRMs are like cheating.. get a scout with sensor lock and two LRM15 boats and you can just salvage exploit knockdown all these mechs. PPCs are horribly useless and lasers are just there.

Hence why this beta is happening, to fix the problems.

AC's all things being equal are brutal from their damage scaling (All weapons had their damage increased x5 but the AC's got a boost on top of that. AC/10 right now is basically a sniper rifle). Standing in water is basically goddamn broken from a heat perspective, and the general consensus is that ballistics rule in maps with no water, and in water you can alpha strike basically every turn with energy based weapons.

The real test will be the PvP and the emerging meta out of that.

The beta is promising right now but it clearly needs work. And I'm okay with that. It's a real beta instead of these glorified demo betas that are the norm now.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 31, 2017, 13:22 Flatline

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2017, 10:55:
Why not just ban carry-ons and be done with it. Then you don't have to pretend the useless TSA is actually required for anything anymore.

Wannacry theory? How about maybe they were just dicks. Not everything is related to terrorism and geopolitics. There's still plenty of regular old fashioned crime and insanity around. Never forget what Alfred said.......some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. Lord knows there are times I'd like to see it burn myself.

If it wasn't for money there wouldn't have been a ransom. It would have been trivial to drop a virus that just destroyed or encrypted everything and then dropped NelsonLaugh.jpg on your screen.

News Comments > More on Far Cry 5
26. Re: More on Far Cry 5 May 27, 2017, 21:14 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on May 27, 2017, 11:30:
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. - Ronald Reagan

If the government is so inherently evil why did Reagan work so hard to become president? I mean, the dude committed flat out treason with the Iran/Contra thing he wanted the job so bad.

News Comments > More on Far Cry 5
11. Re: More on Far Cry 5 May 26, 2017, 23:48 Flatline

Day 1 mod: MAGA hats and battle chatter of "TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!"  

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Discussion
14. Re: Next Dragon Age Discussion May 22, 2017, 23:34 Flatline

For a moment there I thought the next DA game was really going to be called Dragon Age: Discussion.

And having thought that, it made complete sense for a bioware game.

Just have Quentin Tarantino write the dialogue or something.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 20:27 Flatline

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 20:13:
Prez wrote on May 17, 2017, 18:13:
...Yes, it's bad to have a monopoly, which Steam outright is....

Hmm. Is it though? I mean, with GOG and Origin (and I guess Uplay, but that sucks) there are places where people can buy games on a digital download service without ever touching Steam. Sure, Steam is currently holding a huge percentage of that particular market share, but there ARE alternatives.

Legally, a monopoly is near domination, not being the only option. Steam, by any view, is near domination.

The issue is mainly how the monopoly reacts to competition. Valve isn't behaving in the traditional monopoly sense. It didn't try to push UPlay out, or Origin, or subsidize competing games as loss leaders to compete with big titles that come out of EA & Ubisoft. It could have waged a war on GOG, always undercutting them, demanding exclusivity on the platform, etc, but it's not doing any of that as far as I'm aware.

At the most you could accuse it of a natural monopoly simply because of superior technology/infrastructure and the willingness to invest in the field for years before it became obvious that it was the next big thing. But in theory a competing product could com and eat Steam's lunch. GOG is growing strongly and probably represents a distant #2 threat, maybe not in sales, but in offering legitimate competition that Origin & Uplay don't offer (they may offer AAA games, but the platforms are part of a vertical monopoly of digital distribution and really will never see much of an expansion beyond their respective publishers and thus probably shouldn't be considered competition.)

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 17:45 Flatline

Prez wrote on May 17, 2017, 00:10:
I agree that Valve is not your friend, but not healthy for gaming? Gaming on the PC is stronger than ever due in large part to Steam.

I completely stopped pirating games right around when Steam became a big thing. I do a lot of business through GOG and other platforms now, but I don't know anyone who pirates any more. Part of that is being an adult with a paying job, but part of that is that the prices are generally lower/in line with what I am willing to part with if I wait for a sale, and the convenience is there.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 17:09 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2017, 16:13:
Live action vs. CG, any thoughts? I'd prefer live action myself, with CG effects, a la GoT, but that W3 trailer is so good. Probably too expensive to do a multi episode show this way though.

This could be GoT good, or Dungeons & Dragons bad. Or if they go the CG route, it could be uncanny valley bad, like Beowulf.

To be fair, Beowulf is 10 years old.

And to be even more fair, some of the big CG set pieces for GoT *suck*.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 15:53 Flatline

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:31:
In general, I find having an author involved is a very bad thing for any other medium.

When you think of a great book translated well elsewhere, the top pick would likely be Game of Thrones. Except George RR Martin was a TV writer for three and a half decades, so he understands TV. Otherwise? Movies and television are often better when the author is removed.

A TV series is too big for one person to write. So there will be a stable of writers and the author will probably be consulted or have a production credit.

I'm cautiously optimistic. They obviously want a GoT contender and I think they have it in Geralt. A fantasy setting where you have plenty of T&A and sex, but you also have a very morally ambiguous setting that isn't grimdark like Westeros. You can have all of the intrigue and backstabbing and unsympathetic protagonists and sympathetic antagonists without the over the top grimness of Game of Thrones.

It's a good mix. Plus you have all of the twists on the classic fairy tales that you can weave into the story. As long as it doesn't devolve into monster hunter of the week I think it has legs.

2958 Comments. 148 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo