Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3147 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Feb 15, 2018, 13:18 Flatline

I'd throw money at the screen if someone announced a high quality x-wing space combat sim.

Set up a galactic map that guilds/squadrons could wander through in capital ships, battling for territory? Oh yes. The ability to enter battles after they've begun to escalate them so that small skirmishes had a chance to turn into fleet engagements? Oh. Yes.

My heartbreaker X-Wing game would also include a Homeworld-style perspective commander screen. In theory you'd set a flag on your profile that you're willing to be a commander before a skirmish/mission begins. At the end of every battle, you have a very simple thumbs up/thumbs down on the commander. Similar to how Overwatch lets you vote for players end of game. Highest reputation gets to be the commander at the beginning of a mission.

Commanders set target priorities for squadron wings, waypoints, and basically can keep an eye on the larger battle and redirect forces without the pilots having to constantly scan mission critical targets to monitor them. They also have the option to escalate the battle and call for reinforcements.

Pilots in this heartbreaker earn XP both for their piloting skill and their abilities to follow orders. That way, if you have a crappy commander, you still can earn progress. Or if you have a great commander but are not the greatest dogfighter, you can still level/progress.

Leveling contributes to Squadrons, and allows the squadrons to pimp their home base, increase strike range, unlock new mission types and ship types, etc etc...

For people not in groups/guilds, you can always hit instant action fights throughout the galaxy. You fill in squadrons that are under strength, you can jump around pretty easily into battles across the galaxy, and while you can help individual battles you can't project force and seize territory in the galaxy map like a squadron can.

Anyway, that's my heartbreaker x-wing game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Next Month
3. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Next Month Feb 15, 2018, 12:57 Flatline

Hopefully the bots are better than Vermintide 1. I didn't get many friends in to play it so bots it were, and they were so atrocious that you could barely play the game.

I guess I'm spoiled by Left 4 Dead.

News Comments > Steam top 10
16. Re: Steam top 10 Feb 12, 2018, 17:57 Flatline

aka_STEVE wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 08:19:
I am finding SUBnautica a very interesting & creepy good time....

Well worth the price and time so far. Good luck to that team.

One of the best early access games I've bought in a long time.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
1. Re: Sunday Patches Feb 11, 2018, 15:55 Flatline

Is this the patch that makes Fallout *fun*?

I'm glad I bought it on sale and just got the core game because FFS this is a boring-ass game. I get that Fallout games get going kind of slow but sheesh this game is a chore.

I've started the game 3 times now. Third time I actually spent a little time building a settlement and that was a little cool. I did some more side missions and that was okay.

But every time I get to Diamond City my eyes glaze over and I lose interest. I'd rather play Destiny 2- at least the combat there is slick and fun moment-to-moment.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
15. Re: Saturday Previews Feb 11, 2018, 15:52 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 05:11:
So there is a cyberpunk commercial? Or is it all fake?

The creator of Cyberpunk TTRPG gave an interview if I'm not mistaken as part of a... vodaphone commercial? Something like that.

It's hard to tell what they talked about because he speaks in English and is overdubbed in Spanish and it's just a muddy mess.

But Unicorn Girl/madgirl or wahtever her name is waxes on about HOW THIS IS SUCH BIG NEWS SHE HAD TO WAKE UP AND MAKE A VIDEO AND DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TIME TO TAKE OFF HER JAMMIES BECAUSE OMG CYBERPUNK NEWS!

This goes on for seven. Minutes. Which incidentally is right around where YouTube content creators start getting more advertising revenue.

So essentially 10 seconds worth of not-exactly-new information from the guy who invented the TTRPG 30 years ago crammed into 7 minutes of some chick mugging for the camera Paul Logan style.

9. Re: Saturday Previews Feb 10, 2018, 18:19 Flatline

Yup. It's also inflated out to 7 minutes so that she gets extra ad revenue. Basically it's youtube clickbait.  

1. Re: Saturday Previews Feb 10, 2018, 13:54 Flatline

Man that was a big bait & switch on the Cyberpunk thing.  

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans
19. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 5, 2018, 12:40 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 19:03:
Finally got around to uninstalling. Complete waste of $10. Watching paint dry is more entertaining than this game. X Rebirth complete on the other hand is actually fun and nice to look at. Can't wait for X4.

I can't wait for your expectations to be dashed on the buggy POS that X games always launch as.

News Comments > Jess Cliffe Arrest Details
52. Re: Jess Cliffe Arrest Details Feb 4, 2018, 17:16 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 4, 2018, 12:44:
Really the determination should be made on an individual basis, rather than applying blanket age restrictions.

No it really shouldn't. In that case the justice system has the potential to become a second perpetrator by the examination that would be necessary to determine if an individual girl is mature enough to consent. In the mean time the guy sits there and waits for his lawyer to finish the "examination".

And how the hell do you draw *that* particular line to begin with even?

I'm fine with tweaking some of the edge cases of sex offender laws. An 18 year old sexting their 17 year old SO shouldn't be registered as a sex offender forever.

But young people are imminently capable of being manipulated and taken advantage of. And even if this girl gave her consent I don't think it's a bad thing he's getting thrown in jail. There are lines you don't cross.

Way, way back in the day when I used to do renaissance faires this used to be an issue. Few underage girls hooked up with guys older than them, occasionally way older. Our group dealt with it by saying we'd kick your ass out and/or alert the police if you shacked up and pulled a stat rape. If there was any question, card them. Hell with the booze and other substances that flowed around back in those days we'd card anyway.

You're the adult. You have the responsibility to not think with your dick or other genitalia when it comes to a sexual partner when there's a significant age discrepancy.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans
1. Re: Elite Dangerous Expedition Plans Feb 4, 2018, 17:05 Flatline

That's pretty badass.

The community behind E:D continues to impress me at how they are creating content from the sandbox. I hope Frontier can keep adding in systems to help encourage stuff like this.

News Comments > GDC Pulls Bushnell's Pioneer Award
16. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Feb 1, 2018, 14:06 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Feb 1, 2018, 12:44:
Bushnell pressured employees to get naked at work and get into a hot tub with him (among other things). While not the worse thing in the world relative to Harvey Weinstein, Brett Ratner, etc. it's still bad, and made working at Atari an uncomfortable place to work especially for women.

To be fair, we don't know if people coming on board were told that.

"We have a pretty... ah... relaxed environment here. There's a Jacuzzi in the board room. Bathing suits are prohibited. You okay with that?"

News Comments > GDC Reconsidering Bushnell Award After Backlash
13. Re: GDC Reconsidering Bushnell Award After Backlash Jan 31, 2018, 17:32 Flatline

ldonyo wrote on Jan 31, 2018, 13:05:
They aren't revising anything, they're asking that the 1970s be viewed through today's societal lens.

That literally is the definition of historical revisionism incidentally.

I think it's silly too. The award doesn't mean f*ck all ultimately. And if there is going to be some exhibit to Bushnell and Atari, then sure, have a section detailing the excesses of the company back then.

Edit: Oh hey look! According to the article it's Brianna Wu who is among the most vocal about this! Why am I absolutely not surprised?

News Comments > Fallout 4 Free Weekend
7. Re: Fallout 4 Free Weekend Jan 30, 2018, 13:18 Flatline

I keep trying to get into Fallout 4 but every time I get to Diamond City I just like stop giving a shit and get bored and go do something else.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
7. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 26, 2018, 12:58 Flatline

wtf_man wrote on Jan 26, 2018, 12:47:
Maze / Labyrinth in space. Basically going to dungeon crawl with a spaceship. Got it.

Not sure we needed a 30 minute video to get the concept.

I didn't sit through it.

I'm imagining it's a procedurally generated "dungeon" for SQ42?

That might be kind of cool to give it some additional longevity if it ever launches and is actually the kind of game you *want* to keep playing.

News Comments > Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer
6. Re: Star Citizen Website Relaunches, Offers New Trailer Jan 26, 2018, 12:56 Flatline

35 minutes of almost zero footage of the game.

This bodes well.

Also I got the Squadron 42 email last night and was like "oh did they make some progress?"

No. No they didn't. But you can buy a tshirt!

News Comments > Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 Announced
4. Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 Announced Jan 24, 2018, 21:49 Flatline

I wouldn't mind seeing it skew closer towards Starfleet Command 2/SFB.

They were always niche games sadly because the learning curve was more like a cliff but man if you knew how to play those games they were FUN.

News Comments > New Dragon Age Game in the Works
2. Re: New Dragon Age Game in the Works Jan 24, 2018, 21:43 Flatline

Fion wrote on Jan 24, 2018, 21:38:
I've thoroughly enjoyed this series (save for DA2), but being an EA game I really cannot allow myself to become hyped for it.

I actually enjoyed the parts of DA: Inquisition where you sat in the throne and played the ruler.

It made me think of how much fun a Game of Thrones style game would be where you play the head of a noble house.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 22, 2018, 20:01 Flatline

There is a pretty heavy asterisk there. The first 2.5 gigawatts worth of solar panels are exempt apparently. If we double our current 40 gigawatts of solar over 2017, which is what we did in 2016 (from 20-40), it might matter. The first 5% or so of imports would be tariff free. If we add another 20 gigawatts of solar to the nation that's 10% of the imported solar capacity.

Still sucks but I suspect in the long term it will be a hiccup. And in the mean time it might allow some domestic solar to ramp up and become more competitive, like we wanted to 8 years ago.

It's actually a *big* window of opportunity for Tesla if they can get their shit together and get the gigafactory working.

Trump usually pisses me off, and I have no doubt this is his attempt to help coal, but solar is dropping in cost so fast that a 30% tariff is not the death knell, and could help domestic competition in America.

News Comments > More on Destiny 2 Rewards
7. Re: More on Destiny 2 Rewards Jan 21, 2018, 19:53 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 16:09:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 14:57:
I got this game bundled with a video card recently, and the graphics are great, the shooting mechanics are tight and responsive, but how the hell is it this hard to figure out the looting, months(a year?) after release?

Every item I loot is basically an incrementally better item(or the same) as what I have currently, I'm not sure when the game ever starts dropping game changing loot, but I'm already level 18? out of 25.

How does it compare with Borderlands? There were a lot of junk guns in there, too, but every now and then you'd find something substantially better. Also, part of the fun was just trying out the wild random combinations.

It doesn't. You have hand cannons, pistols, pulse rifles (3 round bursts), auto rifles, SMGs, and scout rifles as your primary weapons. There isn't a whole lot of variety between them, just some minor buffs. The power weapons are more varied, but you get very limited ammo on them so sniper rifles, shotguns, missile launchers, grenade launchers, swords, fusion rifles, etc... are not used very often.

The combat is way, way, way tighter than Borderlands however. Borderlands loot & Destiny's FPS combat is probably the best loot & scoot FPS you could want.

Maybe if you included a better bad guy variety as well. There's 3 types of baddies, and 3-4 varieties of the factions.

News Comments > More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit
40. Re: Re: More on Crytek's Star Citizen Lawsuit Jan 21, 2018, 14:28 Flatline

Jerykk wrote on Jan 21, 2018, 06:55:
IANAL but the exact language says that you cannot develop, design, create, support maintain, promote sell, or license any game engine or middleware which compete with CryEngine.

The language says "in the business" of doing those things. Engine development is not the business of CIG. If CIG were selling/licensing their version of the engine, they would be violating that clause. But they aren't.

Man talk about parsing the statement out of context. At any rate, your interpretation is still wrong.

"business" has a legal definition:

"any activity or enterprise entered into for profit."

So Chris Roberts could use Unreal Engine for a hobby, but CIG couldn't use it for a commercial product until two years after the license.

You're also missing the "directly or indirectly" part. They don't have to be directly involved in licensing an engine, if they're helping another company that competes with CryEngine they're in violation.

Crytek may still lose. But it's not as open and shut as what you're making it out to be.

At this point I'm not really cheering for either side, because they're both slime. But your interpretation of that clause is a pretty acrobatic parsing.

3147 Comments. 158 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo