Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2978 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released
46. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 30, 2017, 11:27 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 10:06:
Played that much-talked-about mission with the two resistance heroes and the Lost, and it was AWESOME. Some of my soldiers made shots to save themselves/the team that were freaking unbelievable. My sniper turned into Billy the Kid with her pistol, at one point she took out six of those bastards in a row.

REALLY cool mission. So far I'm very much enjoying it, except for the constant, non-stop blabbering by 12000 people while you're on the strategy map. How did nobody at Firaxis go "We need to tone this down, it's information overload, it's noise overload, it's annoying." Unbelievable. There will be times when you just want to go work on putting upgrades on a weapon, but instead you're sitting there for five minutes waiting for people to finish spouting their exposition bullshit at you. :\

Also, WORF AND TROI are in it!

Most of TNG cast is in it apparently. Jonathan Franks voices the head of the Reapers.

And yeah that mission was pretty badass. That was the mission where two of my squad formed a bond. My assault soldier with her shotgun could clear a screen of bad guys by chaining. If we were holed up (you know the part of the mission) they'd come charging in and she'd just kind of plant herself and unleash 8 glorious headshot chains, one after another.

Very good mission.

But I agree holy sh*t the initial information overload is bad. The initial pacing of the first couple months is so over the top that it's hard to keep track of what's going on. The new missions/systems make it even worse.

Also my first defense mission was completely different than the old defense mission. You used to have to do basically a terror mission but this time it was defending two groups of civvies, and I had a crapload of resistance fighters on my side that contributed a certain amount of damage that made the mission real touch and go.

So far I'm pretty happy. Although last night I took a supply raid mission, and it was hard enough without me being an idiot and skulljacking an officer. Suddenly my mission turned into a running desperate fight with a codex that was NOT fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 30, 2017, 11:23 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 17:27:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 14:15:
Primalchrome wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:48:
Same. The turn extension mod was the only thing that saved it for me. I'll probably wait until the Christmas sale to make sure that the mods are all working properly... Well...that and the fact that I'm in a backlog of titles I'm trying to play at this hot second.

Sounds like this version has an ini file that lets you tweak the turns. Most likely a mod is coming that does it for you (the current top turns mod was broken when I last looked). So not quite as easy as a mod yet, but not hard to change.

I've also seen some reviews that say that the mission timers have been scaled back quite dramatically, so now they're more of a "oh, hey, a mission with a timer!" than "Hey, the 249th mission in a row with a timer."

Of course, they've finally been able to figure out how to kill players through normal gameplay this time around, so they don't need the horseshit "You must rush into a group of aliens four times in a row if you want to have any hope of succeeding in this mission" design anymore.

In any case, it's trivially easy to lengthen the amount of turns you get. Just dig through the .ini files, it literally took me like 3 minutes to find the entry that controlled that, and a simple switch from 8 to 12 fixed pretty much all my aggravation with it. (and even with 12 turns, I had a few missions that came down to the last turn. 8 turns was just bullshit.)

Turns out you don't even need to do that. There's a couple advanced war settings that double the turn length you get flat out, as well as double the Avatar Project timer. I was pretty happy to see that.

21. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 14:02 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 13:50:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:49:
Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:31:
SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:27:
It's really hard to resist. I have not been back to XCOM2 in a while, this is a good reason to.

Same here. Vanilla XCOM2 didn't click for me. I didn't mind the turn timers, I didn't mind the scarcity of resources in the strategy map, but both together ended up frustrating me.

Well, you might get even more frustrated by this expansion. Among the many changes are the really annoying(going by the smaller Alien Hunter DLC) bosses that will pop up in your missions and not even follow the rules of the game, ie. turn order, number of turns, etc.

I'll get this eventually, but probably wait for a sale.

The Alien Hunters DLC was nuts, they admitted they made it waaaaay too tough. They scaled it back (a bit) for the Chosen. I mean, they're still super tough, especially against your rookie squads, but they're not just stupid "Alien boss shows up, your squad dies."

Apparently the Chosen was inspired by the Nemesis system in Shadows of Mordor. Didn't end up that way but was inspired by it.

Should be interesting to play with tonight.

19. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 13:57 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 13:47:
It was a little annoying this morning when GMG was being slow to give the keys out, and then when I finally had my key, it gets installed as a piece of DLC in XCOM2, and I couldn't get freaking Steam to download it for love or money.

Finally started after ~ 45 minutes or so.

Should be ready to go when I come home. Wooo.

Go to Downloads. You'll see the DLC scheduled. Eff that. Hit the button to send it to the top of the queue and you'll download it instantly.

14. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 13:18 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:49:
Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:31:
It's really hard to resist. I have not been back to XCOM2 in a while, this is a good reason to.

Same here. Vanilla XCOM2 didn't click for me. I didn't mind the turn timers, I didn't mind the scarcity of resources in the strategy map, but both together ended up frustrating me.

Well, you might get even more frustrated by this expansion. Among the many changes are the really annoying(going by the smaller Alien Hunter DLC) bosses that will pop up in your missions and not even follow the rules of the game, ie. turn order, number of turns, etc.

I'll get this eventually, but probably wait for a sale.

From what I've read the Chosen aliens aren't quite so BS as the Alien Hunter DLC. But we'll see. It launches separately from XCOM2 apparently so if I don't like it I can go back to my Long War 2 game.

10. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 12:31 Flatline

8. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 12:23 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:18:
Rhett wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:10:
And it's a "start over" type of DLC. It integrates with the campaign and adds way more stuff to play with. A lot more to do on the strategy layer, more options in battles, and random SITREPs that can change up missions, like having one heavily-buffed soldier instead of a full squad.

Any idea if older mods still work? I had one that extended the turns of the mission before reinforcements came in. I hate feeling rushed.

Something like that will probably work. But the amount of stuff it adds I imagine will break an awful lot of mods.

Edit:

Reddit is compiling a list of mod compatibility:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/6wrkgz/wotc_compatible_mods_master_list_please_submit/

7. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 12:22 Flatline

Rhett wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:10:
Flatline wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 12:03:
Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 11:50:
$54 for some dlc? Um pass.

54? I paid 32 dollars like 2 days ago. It's 40 bucks retail and will probably go on sale pretty soon.

It's also a 30 gig DLC. There's a lot of content and it probably should be seen as a proper expansion and not just "DLC".

Apparently it's ~$55 retail for Canadians (as opposed to $40 retail for USA, and $30 on sale at GMG). But yeah, tons of content with a big emphasis on replay value.

And it's a "start over" type of DLC. It integrates with the campaign and adds way more stuff to play with. A lot more to do on the strategy layer, more options in battles, and random SITREPs that can change up missions, like having one heavily-buffed soldier instead of a full squad.

Ah. The Canada Tax. That blows.

Yeah from what I'm reading it's kind of bonkers in a good way. I'm looking forward to it. I was playing a lot of Long War 2 lately but burned out when I was just grinding for a mission where I could loot an officer's corpse.

2. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen for Windows Released Aug 29, 2017, 12:03 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 11:50:
$54 for some dlc? Um pass.

54? I paid 32 dollars like 2 days ago. It's 40 bucks retail and will probably go on sale pretty soon.

It's also a 30 gig DLC. There's a lot of content and it probably should be seen as a proper expansion and not just "DLC".

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
1. Re: Sunday Mobilization Aug 27, 2017, 16:45 Flatline

"They started with consumer smartwatches and treated the enterprise as an afterthought. It should have been the other way around."

I don't think this is the case. Apple as a whole company ignores the enterprise and they fucking print money. Actually I'll go a step further and say that Apple is at times openly antagonistic towards enterprise environments.

Smartwatches are niche "durable goods" that people aren't as interested in dropping 700 dollars on every 2 years. It's the same reason why the ipad sales sagged so hard. People accept the 2 year lifecycle of their phones (I wish they wouldn't) but for some reason the tablet and watch market it didn't sink in.

It also doesn't help that there's no "killer app" or must have function on the watches. They're just gadgets. Really expensive ones at that.

News Comments > XCOM 2 Free Weekend
14. Re: XCOM 2 Free Weekend Aug 25, 2017, 18:07 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 09:26:
I've been playing Long War 2, and I was hoping to have that run finished before the expansion came out, but it's taking a really long time...

Same here. I felt like I was flailing around in XCOM 2 but Long War has kept my interest a lot longer. Haven't finished a game with it yet though.

News Comments > BATTLETECH Delayed
9. Re: BATTLETECH Delayed Aug 15, 2017, 13:32 Flatline

pacbowl wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 23:26:
No multiplayer is the only reason I didn't fund this. I used to play the tabletop/dirtmaps using tape measures and still have painted pewter mechs. Without coop it just doesn't feel right.

There... *is* multiplayer. It's coming in a few weeks.

Also, we'll see how the AC adjustment works. AC/10 was just brutal.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2017, 19:03 Flatline

Translation: Instead of practicing he was jerking off. Now he's NoFap because he apparently believes he'll turn into superman or something if he stops jerking off.  

News Comments > Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition and Return of the Pip-Boy Next Month
6. Re: Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition and Return of the Pip-Boy Next Month Aug 11, 2017, 14:59 Flatline

aka_STEVE wrote on Aug 11, 2017, 08:00:
I owned / played all the other Fallouts but for some reason I couldn't find anything 4 was showing that was going to be any different , so I never bought it.

Maybe I'll get this GOTY , even though I'll probably not get to play it for another year

I started playing it, got a few hours in, went towards emerald city or whatever it's called, got bombed into non-existence with zero warning.

Respawned, took a different route, got flooded by like 20 raiders who were way stronger than me, died after killing around 10 of them.

Respawned, went WAY WAY WAY out of my way to avoid all that crap to get to the first goddamn city, finally got there, was underwhelmed by the city, saved, quit, haven't been back in a year.

Seriously I know the Bethesda fallout games start slow but like I put 5 or 6 hours into Fallout 4 and did not give the slightest shit. I went back to FO3 and New Vegas.

News Comments > Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales
45. Re: Lawbreakers Launches to Great Reviews, Poor Sales Aug 10, 2017, 18:07 Flatline

Wasn't this game in development for like years? I have this vague feeling like I heard Lawbreakers get announced like 2-3 years ago. It seemed an awful long time for a 60 dollar or whatever release.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2017, 11:26 Flatline

"Hold Your Nose: Burglar Doesn't Flush, Gets Caught by DNA Evidence."

This isn't the first time feces caught a criminal in Ventura County.

My friend was murdered in the summer of 1997. Apparently the murderer was robbing his home and in the process left a giant deuce in the hamper. The cops sampled it, froze it.

15 years later they figured out they could extract DNA from feces. So they pulled his DNA.

Two years after that someone got arrested for accepting felony levels of stolen goods and was sentenced to a year in prison. They swabbed his cheek as standard operating procedure, ran it through the cold case file and... my friend's murder came up.

He was convicted last February and sentenced to life in prison without parole. It took 20 years but his shit stank after all.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Plans
6. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Plans Aug 9, 2017, 11:23 Flatline

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 10:29:
Still a pretty, but empty game. They should rename it to "Pointless".

They should call the game Existential Blues.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2017, 16:03 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 15:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 8, 2017, 11:09:
Companies and their scare-tactic agreements:

"Uber claims in their Terms of Service that they are not responsible for anything and that you are unable to sue them," wrote Wilcox. "I have proved that wrong in a court of law, and I encourage you to never give up fighting for what is right in all aspects of your life."

Welcome to the sharing economy, where companies reap all the profits by exploiting their workers and then claim they aren't their workers and thus not responsible for any of their behavior on the job.

Uber is easily the worst of the lot for this. Their corporate culture is so toxic that people who work for Uber have trouble finding jobs when they move on.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed
61. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Aug 1, 2017, 15:36 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Aug 1, 2017, 12:15:
Trump has actually produced a lot of stuff in his time. Those hotels didn't build themselves.

Most of those hotels and apartments licensed his name from him and he had no part in building.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed
10. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 Delayed Jul 31, 2017, 21:52 Flatline

Bub wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 21:41:
Gotta love the last paragraph about Evocati in Wikipedia:

"The name evocati was also applied to a select body of young men of the equestrian order who were appointed by Emperor Domitian to guard his bedchamber."

Does that mean they'll let suckers... I mean backers pay 10,000 dollars for the privilege of standing guard in his bedroom while he bangs his wife?

I imagine there'd be at least 3 or 4 people who would throw down for that.

2978 Comments. 149 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo