Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3174 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 8, 2018, 12:15 Flatline

"The 'net ain't free and you ain't paying."

Yeah but literally like 90% of incoming viruses and exploits and scareware and browser hijackers come over f*cking ad networks these days.

I'll turn my f*cking ad blocker off when you can promise me I won't get a virus by loading your goddamn ads.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Blizzard Reveals "Unannounced Diablo Project"
6. Re: Blizzard Reveals Jun 5, 2018, 23:03 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 22:01:
Hopefully it's Diablo 4, and not:

A Battle Royale game with Diablo characters,
A MOBA,
A Rogue-Like/Rogue-Lite anything.

Diablo was originally intentionally a rogue/nethack lite game

News Comments > Destiny 2 Year 2 Roadmap Livestream Tomorrow
2. Re: Destiny 2 Year 2 Roadmap Livestream Tomorrow Jun 4, 2018, 23:55 Flatline

Hopefully they have a DLC drop this fall that is as big as like 75% of all the current content out there.

The exotics pass was a big step in the right direction, but now we need some more content and maybe a new f*cking enemy type instead of the Vex, Legion, and Fallen and flood- I mean Hive.

Warmind is entertaining, has a lot of juicy stuff in it, and people are legit loving Escalation Protocol, so there's a few blips of hope on the horizon. Not much but some.

It's sad because I can sit down on Destiny 2 and fall into the shooty gameplay instantly. Moment to moment it's some of the best on the market even if it's stripped down from Destiny 1.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2018, 13:35 Flatline

DrSquick wrote on Jun 3, 2018, 20:20:
Does anyone remember playing LORD - Legend of the Red Dragon on a BBS? It was a turn-based multiplayer game where every real world day would advance to the next turn, and everyone would dial in and do their turn for that day.

Yup.

For several years I ran a DOOR bbs over telnet that had about 15 BBS games on it. It was fun but never quite gathered enough of a group of players to make it worth while. Which is sad. I had bought a Trade Wars license and everything.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month
12. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 17:49 Flatline

subx wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 12:05:
So they released the game and now there's an update, and I don't give them $27000? In fact they don't want anything?

Sounds like a scam to me.

They released *one* paid expansion a couple years back. Apparently, selling skins for your ships is a valid business model. They've put out at least one major content expansion for free, albeit on a slower process.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month
11. Re: Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Two This Month Jun 1, 2018, 17:48 Flatline

Armengar wrote on Jun 1, 2018, 15:51:
the game is fun if you managed to get a few billion from a gold rush. There is no way in hell i would grind credits. ED has mobile fremium game grind levels for credits.

Nah I have a couple asps and vultures I never made it up to the anaconda and I had a blast.

I spent like... one weekend doing Space Trucker while listening to podcasts and honestly I made enough money from my trade route (which you can look up, people build them all the time and there's apps out there to help) to buy the ships I wanted and have money left over to futz around.

Don't think of ED as Freespace or something like that. Think of it as American Truck Simulator: Space. With lasers.

News Comments > PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit
56. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit May 29, 2018, 22:34 Flatline

Sepharo wrote on May 29, 2018, 20:53:
Also this "can't copyright game mechanics!" decree isn't as cut-and-dry as you guys all seem to think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_clone#Legal_aspects

But I'm not saying that Fortnite is a "look-and-feel" clone of PUBG. I believe there is more than enough variation (building walls being the obvious one) to keep Fortnite out of that category. But I believe the approach that Bluehole will take here is along the idea that the sum of all of these game mechanics is what they believe they have copyrighted, not any one individually. The examples I posted screenshots of are things Fortnite absolutely copied from PUBG, H1Z1:KotH, and ARMA2:DayZ:BattleRoyale. It wasn't against copyright to copy those mechanics, it wasn't illegal, but they did copy them, they admitted to copying them as elements of a genre. Where it gets weird is that those particular elements were elements, like I said earlier, that previously had a legal lineage tied up with Brendan Greene. The licensing of the concepts by H1Z1 from Greene will likely be an aspect in the case. Clearly they (Sony/Daybreak) wanted to cover their bases, Epic didn't feel they needed to.

No even with wikipedia this is still pretty much cut and dry.

The reason why Tetris won that is because an average consumer would have difficulty telling the two titles apart. So your argument there, even by your own admission, is basically BS.

It seems like your entire argument is "Sony/Daybreak 'licensed' concepts from Greene, therefore those concepts are protected under copyright".

You could drive an ocean liner through the leaps of logic in that thread. Just because two private entities agree to "license" a "concept" from someone doesn't mean that it rises to legally protected copyright.

Generally speaking I don't like Epic, but in this case I hope they curb stomp Bluehole here.

One thing that seems likely, nobody's probably going to be willing to do business with Greene any more. I certainly wouldn't.

28. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit May 29, 2018, 16:22 Flatline

BIGtrouble77 wrote on May 29, 2018, 15:37:
I understand why the PUBG guys are pissed, what Epic did was pretty shady. I think this should be a cautionary tale for companies doing "partnerships with companies that can eat them alive". Now it's all sour grapes on the PUBG side and I find it hard to support them considering the level of success they've had. It's going to be hard to prove any damages, but then I know nothing about Korean law.

I don't feel that what Epic did was shady. PUBG didn't create a product that could be protected easily. It didn't focus on providing the superior player experience, it didn't focus on cornering the streaming market. I am not interested in either BR game, but Fortnite added enough with their building engine to make the core gameplay different.

Aside from that, large-map deathmatch with player elimination is such a basic game mode I don't see how anyone could lay claim to it.

27. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit May 29, 2018, 16:17 Flatline

Avus wrote on May 29, 2018, 13:40:
Should Gran Turismo dev Polyphony sue Turn 10 for making a similar game called Forza Motorsport?? This is beyond stupid. PUBG is not even an “inventor” of Battle Royale. Japanese film maker should also sue PUBG for making a game that replicate the experience of the Battle Royale movie (2000)

It's not even BR the book or movie that it's ripping off from, although it *is* ripping off BR.

Back in the 90's it was called Last Man Standing or similar deathmatch modulations where you had limited or only one life. If memory serves that was a mutation from one of the *early* Unreal Tournament games. If so, Epic could sue them back since that dates back 20 years.

10. Re: PUBG vs Fortnite Lawsuit May 29, 2018, 12:30 Flatline

Prez wrote on May 29, 2018, 12:05:
Nothing in PUBG is original. NOTHING. You cannot own a game mechanic, and the world is brown and nondescript to the point that Bluehole literally can claim ownership of absolutely none of it beyond the game's name. Hell, some of the buildings and terrain are stock Unreal engine assets. This lawsuit is as asinine as it is baseless.

Yeah... Prez is right here. You can't copyright game mechanics or rules.

Maybe you can in Korea, but here in the US you can't. Otherwise FPS shooters would be the sole and proprietary property of iD software for another 20 years.

They will have to prove that actual art assets were cribbed. It's not enough to have shotguns in both games or a radar up in the left hand corner of the screen.

News Comments > killer7 on Steam This Fall
1. Re: killer7 on Steam This Fall May 28, 2018, 23:49 Flatline

There will come a day when all games are either "remasters" of previous games or minor iterations like Call of Duty.  

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition
9. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition May 23, 2018, 10:41 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 23, 2018, 07:49:
I'm interested, but I think I'll wait for some more reviews... I hear the core gameplay isn't changed enough, aka still mostly bland L4D ripoff/homage in WH40K clothing.

Hopefully it's awesome in coop though.

There were a few really bad design decisions- Your psy powers are fueled by finding relics throughout the level and a teeny, tiny bit through combat, so I would end up frequently ignoring them because they were so rare. Not sure if that was fixed.

The initial storm bolter is a good combination of damage, accuracy at range, and reload speed, and halfway through the single player game I hadn't changed it out with another weapon I actually liked.

Your medic is stuck with the basic storm bolter if you want him to heal.

Your devastator marine's assault cannon is again, probably your best bet and is your initial weapon.

Haven't played with the heavy flamer yet. But there's enough ranged shooty pew pew pew types that the Flamer is not solid tool that it was in the board game.

The 'nids are pretty much indistinguishable from each other. After a big fight I'll look at the stats and it's like "oh... I killed two elite 'nids... I didn't even see them".

The original board game had slow moving terminators with a ranged attack advantage trying to mow down the 'nids before they got within melee range and turned the terminator into a tasty blended drink. Melee was dangerous and a last ditch effort. Currently in this game it's almost impossible to avoid getting into melee. It's... a weird disconnect from the board game, and on it's own I'm not sure it carries enough to make for a game.

I've played with most of the enhanced edition fixes and they do help but there's still some fundamental issues I don't think are resolved.

News Comments > No Borderlands 3 at E3?
18. Re: No Borderlands 3 at E3? May 16, 2018, 18:54 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on May 16, 2018, 12:45:
BL2 is one of my all time favs, but the Pre-Sequel kind of left me cold. Here's to hoping they spend the time to get BL3 right.

ZOMG this.

The loot sucked. I played through the whole goddamn thing as Wilhelm and 90% of the loot I got was... pistols and shitty commons. By the time I hit the last boss my assault rifle was like 5 or 6 levels below where I was at. I wasn't in the mood to grind gear.

That ruined it for me. On my first playthrough if I go more than 2 levels without upgrading the guns I play with, something is SEVERELY wrong with the loot tables.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 6, 2018, 15:31 Flatline

The spoilers for Avengers is bullshit.

It took less than a week for stories to start popping up in my feed where the titles actually spoil the end of the film.

I won't replicate them here but I'm fairly pissed off since it completely killed my desire to see the movie.

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
3. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 6, 2018, 15:28 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on May 6, 2018, 13:31:
Tbh the real problem is that most people probably don't even know how to get to it.

Ps.: And just to mention that, but the 1803 update for W10 reset my hosts file causing me tons of issues with my routing until I figured this out.. so yay.

Well gee, I wonder why people are all talking sarcastically about MS products....

The real problem is that it breaks the windows paradigm. Right now there's this really weird mid-point for most users where their UX is informed by Apple (seriously, I have dozens of f*cking civil engineers who don't realize that a program can be installed on a computer without it being on the desktop. Thanks Apple!) and the windows paradigm of installing programs the old fashioned way.

Not to mention the full screen tablet version of windows that W10 tries to go into every time you launch an app makes me want to throw my computer against the wall. It's just easier to avoid it entirely. In fact I access the start menu as infrequently as I possibly can in W10. 99% of what I need can be found right-clicking it or searching.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch
16. Re: Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch May 2, 2018, 15:39 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 2, 2018, 15:27:
You also missed that D2 had half the amount of things to do than D1 with pretty much exactly the same engine/graphics/enemies/game play.

I don't think it's fair to compare D1 after several years of content expansions to launch D2.

But, that missing content probably should have come fairly quickly and been in the pipeline. It's been out now for nearly a year and the added content is... ah... anemic.

12. Re: Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch May 2, 2018, 15:05 Flatline

Darks wrote on May 2, 2018, 13:29:
You clearly haven't played the game. The monetization going on in the game was very minimal. Everything in the game was achievable by just playing the game and leveling up getting the same items anyone could buy with real money if they wanted to.

People like you kill me with your over stating the obvious when it suits your cause. Try lying a little more, and maybe we might believe you.

And the monetary system in the game had nothing to do with the games faults. that would be the lack of things to do and end game issues and the lack of a proper grouping system for people to do raids and Nightfall's.

Like I said, you clearly haven't played the game.

There's three issues I can see with Destiny 2.

1. A lot of the subsystems are designed around the Eververse and a constant attrition of items you earn or buy. Shader library limitations, shaders now being consumable, limits on ships and sparrows, etc... Destiny 1, from what I could see, had *tons* of collectibles for your character to grind to get and use and show off. Now a lot of that is locked behind a consumable mindset to direct you towards the Eververse. Supposedly that is changing.

2. The first DLC sucked. Like. Seriously. Sucked. It was tiny and not fun and the Infinite Forest was walled off behind missions. In the weeks after it dropped I saw a huge exodus of players.

3. Bungie has a problem communicating with the community. It's so bad it's hard to understand WTF is going on. They're trying to work on it but I can't see why the first 6 months was a "fuck those assholes" kind of attitude towards the community.

There are other issues, end game raid content was bizarre and not much fun, but with steadily increasing content that would have been minimized. The big 3- the obvious system design around Eververse, the anemic first DLC out of the gate, and the lack of communication seems really to be what killed the game off.

Here's hoping that the Warmind expansion on the 8th actually has some content.

11. Re: Destiny 2 Activision's Largest PC Launch May 2, 2018, 14:59 Flatline

Prez wrote on May 2, 2018, 12:42:
It had a strong PC launch because a lot of PC gamers like myself looked at the first Destiny and liked what we saw (once it was actually finished anyway) and were thrilled to see the sequel getting a PC release. Speaking only for myself I assumed that Destiny 2 at launch would be at least as good as Destiny ended up after lots of updates. And initially it seemed that way - the core mechanics were very solid and the graphics were great. The story was good enough at least, and the voice acting was good. But instead of growing the game in the manner that the original Destiny was improved over time, Activision/Bungie opted to focus on monetization to the detriment of everything else. So fuck 'em. I'm done with Activision and Bungie. And with every other fuckwit publisher who prioritizes financial gain over real gameplay content and improvements.

Yup. I had friends who were hard into Destiny 1 and migrated to the PC for Destiny 2 and invited me in. They have all moved on now to Overwatch which isn't my bag sadly.

Plus, they obsess over OWL and frankly I can't get into it because it seems like every 2 weeks we find out someone is rapey, or racist, or an asshole, or just a miserable human and I've given up on even trying to pay attention.

News Comments > Get The Witcher Free
32. Re: Get The Witcher Free May 2, 2018, 01:59 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Apr 30, 2018, 12:35:
All in all it's overly long but if you've got 40+ hours and don't mind clumsy combat and clumsy writing which feigns neutrality while constantly forcing you to choose sides, go for it.

I'm in the minority but many of the quests are terribly written (chap 3 bank job, Shanni and Triss) and the constant false choices (chap 1 Abigail). Forced to play as a poorly written egotistical male instead of creating your own Witcher (male or female, good or bad or neutral) then learning about the world, while doing the main quest to find out what happened to the magical widget.

Before I'm mobbed and set upon with tar, feathers and ritual burning because 'women can't be witchers' and 'o'meh god geralt is teh greatest'. In the very first game (this one) iirc, there is some(thing/one) so powerful that can literally travel to any time, change time, perception and reality itself. Not to mention the final story arc. I just wanted to say

Did you play the director's cut/expanded version of the original Witcher? The writing in the original release blew. Clearly not written by people who were fluent in English. By the time the expanded version came out the writing was significantly better.

I had issues with a lot of the more minor systems of the game, plus that eye-gougingly slow beginning with the haunted dogs. The game got a lot better though.

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
15. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 27, 2018, 15:48 Flatline

MattyC wrote on Apr 27, 2018, 15:19:
I think we will see a mode similar to battle royal for Overwatch.

I"m curious how the hell that would work when part of the battle royale format is about scrounging for weapons and abilities and stuff.

Not to mention the Overwatch characters would be of wildly different use.

"Oooh I'm Mercy! I... heal people. In a 1vAll battle royale. Yay."

"I'm Soldier 76 I get auto-aim for my ultimate"

3174 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo