Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3122 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
22. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 16:21 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 16:06:
Aaaaannnnddd yet another retarded, boring as fuck multiplayer grindfest. This is becoming reminiscent of the MMO heydays in the early 2000s. We really need a few solid flops in this area of gaming to bring the publishers back in line.

Destiny 2 is fizzling so hard that it might be enough of an industry flop on it's own.

As a bunch of friends were discussing, whoever thought that platforming was what an FPS needed for it's end-game raiding needed their fucking heads examined.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
13. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 14:27 Flatline

Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:01:
Despite the problems I have with going to a full fledged sequel as opposed to adding more to the first game, I still like the fact that there is going to be more of this universe. I really liked The Division. That said, however, with the sequel they absolutely need to tighten up the storytelling - the first had snippets of excellent storytelling but overall there was too little story progression overall, leading to a feeling that you as the player were just spinning your wheels in a story arc that mostly didn't go anywhere and lacked satisfying closure to plot points. I loved the combat though; I found it to be rife with fun and interesting shooting gameplay even though some others didn't.

Agreed. The story had moments of greatness but a lot of blandness.

I'm also curious what is happening outside of NYC. I find it impossible to believe that the virus hasn't spread outside of NYC.

Hopefully Division 2 starts with the amount of content that Division 1 has right now. It probably won't but I hope so. I also hope they build on the loot system they have now, which is actually, finally kind of fun, and don't nuke it back to the stone age like they did with Destiny 2.

News Comments > Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage
26. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 19:41:
Flatline wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:54:
But having a signed SSL certificate to even run your software *is* strange.

Not very strange. I find it odd when drivers aren't signed. Otherwise how can you really trust that they're from the developer? At any rate, this cert was around the CV1 days. The guy who wrote the software probably left and nobody noticed. Also changing a system clock can lead to other software problems, so make sure to change it back when done. I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet though since signing a new executable shouldn't take very long.

No it's still strange. Because sure, I can buy using a cert to communicate with the mothership and make sure you have an uninterrupted connection. But apparently Oculus either needs to have an always-on connection to the corporate servers, or the cert is still required even when offline. I mean, you already have the software, you know it's legit (though a certificate doesn't ensure that you have an uncompromised piece of software, just that you weren't subjected to a Man in the Middle attack. You need checksums or some other method to verify that you have uncompromised software) it's on your computer, the cert doesn't do anything at that point. If it's checking the cert while offline and still preventing you from launching the game, this is crappy programming and basically enforced obsolescence.

Edit: Driver signatures are not SSL certificates. That's a different thing entirely.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 12:05 Flatline

"In a perfect world, perhaps we wouldn't have virtual shooters at all"

No in a perfect world numbnuts people wouldn't snap and shoot innocent people. JFC.

5. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 18:54 Flatline

Silgurdar wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:01:
Why do you need active Internet connection to use the Oculus Rift? It's same as needing one to use a monitor...

If you can get around it by changing the clock date it's not actually an internet connection that's needed. But having a signed SSL certificate to even run your software *is* strange.

2. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 17:57 Flatline

Yeah rolling the date back would convince the local cert manager that the cert wasn't expired.

Way to go Oculus!

News Comments > Super Seducer - How to Talk to Girls
15. Re: Super Seducer - How to Talk to Girls Mar 7, 2018, 12:07 Flatline

Red886 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 23:52:
i don't get how single #metoo activists will ever get a bf, unless they consider the only way for courtship and pickups is when the female initiates it.

#metoomens

Um... #MeToo was about rape and molestation and sexual harassment. It wasn't like radfem it was showing how widespread that kind of crap is.

News Comments > White House Games Meeting Thursday
19. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 13:59 Flatline

Saboth wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:16:
Do we need guns for "defense", or is that some right wing paranoia stuff?

Semiautomatic rifles are pretty terrible at home defense.

I'd suggest a big dog, a home alarm, or pepper spray, or a pump action shotgun, or a pistol, in that order, before I'd ever... You know what? Even after exhausting all of those I'd still recommend against a "modern sporting rifle" for defense.

A shorter barrel pump shotgun with buckshot in it is a way better option for home defense. Easier to hit, you don't have to worry about punching through multiple walls, and 00 buck or even #4 buck at short range does... well... catastrophic damage if you hit.

News Comments > White House Games Meeting Thursday
17. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 13:45 Flatline

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:03:
The Pyro wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 12:58:
Gun lobby desperately searches for a scapegoat that is not guns.

I'm a "gun person" but I cringe every time the NRA decides to point fingers at games and film. You don't like people blaming guns for violence, so don't be blaming other things that are irrelevant.

I'm a "gun person" too but the NRA just makes me cringe in general. They're about a split hair away from just calling for gun owners to start murdering liberals. They're so apocalyptic and fear-mongering that it's insulting.

They used to not be that way. in the 70's and earlier the NRA advocated for sensible stuff like background checks and really was a gun-owning advocacy group. They've become a gun manufacturer advocacy group and have gone batshiat.

And it won't help. The problem is that by being zero-tolerance, fearmongering, and extremist to the point of nearly calling for open civil violence, they basically refuse to cooperate on anything.

Now for 20 or 30 years, that's been politically viable. But sooner or later, there will be a moment where the public becomes reactionary enough that the NRA won't be able to hold the tide back. In that moment they'll try to find a "middle ground" but by that point the reactionism will be extreme enough that no middle ground will be viable and we'll see some major retaliatory legislation against guns, up to and including a 2nd amendment repeal.

And even as a "gun person" who wants some f*cking sanity in our gun legislation, that kind of reactionary pushback scares me. But it's the only thing that *will* move the needle in any significant way because the gun lobby and politicians feel like this is an invulnerable, immutable argument that they have.

News Comments > Overwatch Brigitte Story Trailer
1. Re: Overwatch Brigitte Story Trailer Mar 5, 2018, 15:27 Flatline

I was on vacation so I didn't get to say this when she game out, but Birgette Brigitte really needed a long hair braid and a silver bow. I'm just saying.  

News Comments > BATTLETECH in April
4. Re: BATTLETECH in April Feb 27, 2018, 22:36 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2018, 21:42:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 27, 2018, 21:21:
About fucking time, too. Too bad it'll prolly be another two years minimum before we are at v1.0 instead of this v0.7 beta release that is masqueraded as the full release... all of which, i.e. the hefty delay as well as the beta release version that is missing vital promised features and bug fixes, seems to have become a habit for Kickstarters.
Release the minimum viable product, patch later (or maybe not if it's not doing well commercially).

And then they are surprised that there is a slump in crowdfunding. Well, that's what happens when you bite the hands that feed, morons.
Most games improve after release. Has Harebrained demonstrated this behavior to significant extent?

As for this getting a release, I'm stoked. Haven't received a KS-backed game in a while.

Hairbrained puts out a lot of "director's edition" versions that refine things. Usually this is free, especially for backers. I'm okay with that.

I put over 30 hours into the beta alone, and that was skirmish on like 5 maps, so yeah, I have already had a lot of fun. Judging from the feature list they're stating they will launch with I'll have a lot of fun.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Feb 19, 2018, 02:39 Flatline

Bub wrote on Feb 18, 2018, 06:35:
So sad, when stores that were once great, become complacent, and re-arranged deck chairs while Amazon gobbels their lunch.

It's kind of funny I remember back when they were growing and putting small bookstores out of business they were the big 500 pound gorilla bad guys. They had an *extremely* aggressive process where they'd come into a shopping mall and negotiate to be the primary provider of certain things like coffee, forcing the small coffee shops nearby out of business if they were under the same landlord. It's how my first job went away.

I... really don't have much of a bad feeling about them getting their lunch eaten, beyond a general point of not being happy about there being *less* competition with Amazon now. B&N came up as the Amazon of their day, they're going down the way they came up.

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
28. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Feb 19, 2018, 02:34 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Feb 19, 2018, 02:22:
Well, I would say you're guilty of falling for the fake news story about it being a "low turn out" crowd. I don't recall the "largest crowd ever" statement by Trump. It seems the media were the ones who wanted to nit-pick over crowd sizes. obsessing over it much like you are now.

Dude it took me like... 5 minutes to find the ABC interview where Trump said out of his own mouth "We had the biggest audience in the history of inaugural speeches."

Which even if you include online and TV? Not so much.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/824501387861987329/video/1

And as for your "highly journalistic" source of "zero hedge" who spends multiple pages talking about forced perspective, I can show you a timelapse of the entire day from PBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdantUf5tXg

I mean, even Spicer admits that he regrets that whopper.

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
40. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 17, 2018, 16:27 Flatline

El Pit wrote on Feb 17, 2018, 01:53:
Also, Prey (2017) feels a lot like a modern System Shock 2 to me. I LOVE it and am surprised that it was not a success. Like many other good games (e.g. Thief 1/2, Dishonored 1/2) it just did not make big money. It seems, most gamers love their loot crate games too much.

Naming it Prey did absolutely no help for the game.

News Comments > Remastered System Shock on Hiatus
11. Re: Remastered System Shock on Hiatus Feb 16, 2018, 21:06 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 16, 2018, 19:52:
This must be a first.
I can't think of one other KickStarted game where too much money has hampered its development.

*cough*Star Citizen*cough*

News Comments > etc., etc.
11. Re: etc., etc. Feb 15, 2018, 13:18 Flatline

I'd throw money at the screen if someone announced a high quality x-wing space combat sim.

Set up a galactic map that guilds/squadrons could wander through in capital ships, battling for territory? Oh yes. The ability to enter battles after they've begun to escalate them so that small skirmishes had a chance to turn into fleet engagements? Oh. Yes.

My heartbreaker X-Wing game would also include a Homeworld-style perspective commander screen. In theory you'd set a flag on your profile that you're willing to be a commander before a skirmish/mission begins. At the end of every battle, you have a very simple thumbs up/thumbs down on the commander. Similar to how Overwatch lets you vote for players end of game. Highest reputation gets to be the commander at the beginning of a mission.

Commanders set target priorities for squadron wings, waypoints, and basically can keep an eye on the larger battle and redirect forces without the pilots having to constantly scan mission critical targets to monitor them. They also have the option to escalate the battle and call for reinforcements.

Pilots in this heartbreaker earn XP both for their piloting skill and their abilities to follow orders. That way, if you have a crappy commander, you still can earn progress. Or if you have a great commander but are not the greatest dogfighter, you can still level/progress.

Leveling contributes to Squadrons, and allows the squadrons to pimp their home base, increase strike range, unlock new mission types and ship types, etc etc...

For people not in groups/guilds, you can always hit instant action fights throughout the galaxy. You fill in squadrons that are under strength, you can jump around pretty easily into battles across the galaxy, and while you can help individual battles you can't project force and seize territory in the galaxy map like a squadron can.

Anyway, that's my heartbreaker x-wing game.

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Next Month
3. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Next Month Feb 15, 2018, 12:57 Flatline

Hopefully the bots are better than Vermintide 1. I didn't get many friends in to play it so bots it were, and they were so atrocious that you could barely play the game.

I guess I'm spoiled by Left 4 Dead.

News Comments > Steam top 10
16. Re: Steam top 10 Feb 12, 2018, 17:57 Flatline

aka_STEVE wrote on Feb 12, 2018, 08:19:
I am finding SUBnautica a very interesting & creepy good time....

Well worth the price and time so far. Good luck to that team.

One of the best early access games I've bought in a long time.

News Comments > Sunday Patches
1. Re: Sunday Patches Feb 11, 2018, 15:55 Flatline

Is this the patch that makes Fallout *fun*?

I'm glad I bought it on sale and just got the core game because FFS this is a boring-ass game. I get that Fallout games get going kind of slow but sheesh this game is a chore.

I've started the game 3 times now. Third time I actually spent a little time building a settlement and that was a little cool. I did some more side missions and that was okay.

But every time I get to Diamond City my eyes glaze over and I lose interest. I'd rather play Destiny 2- at least the combat there is slick and fun moment-to-moment.

News Comments > Saturday Previews
15. Re: Saturday Previews Feb 11, 2018, 15:52 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 11, 2018, 05:11:
So there is a cyberpunk commercial? Or is it all fake?

The creator of Cyberpunk TTRPG gave an interview if I'm not mistaken as part of a... vodaphone commercial? Something like that.

It's hard to tell what they talked about because he speaks in English and is overdubbed in Spanish and it's just a muddy mess.

But Unicorn Girl/madgirl or wahtever her name is waxes on about HOW THIS IS SUCH BIG NEWS SHE HAD TO WAKE UP AND MAKE A VIDEO AND DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TIME TO TAKE OFF HER JAMMIES BECAUSE OMG CYBERPUNK NEWS!

This goes on for seven. Minutes. Which incidentally is right around where YouTube content creators start getting more advertising revenue.

So essentially 10 seconds worth of not-exactly-new information from the guy who invented the TTRPG 30 years ago crammed into 7 minutes of some chick mugging for the camera Paul Logan style.

3122 Comments. 157 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo