Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3245 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 9, 2018, 13:34 Flatline

MajorD wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 13:06:
Apple isn't the only company guilty of this, but they seem to be the best at it. Everything Apple does is highly calculated to their benefit, and their benefit only.

Apple especially does it with iOS. Aside from slowing your phone down it's amazing how right at the like... 22 month mark your phone just takes a giant shit on you and starts running poorly. Like, you swipe to get to another page of icons and it is slow and glitchy. It takes minutes to boot apps that six months earlier were instantaneous. I can't type any more on my iPad 2 because there's like a 30 second delay (not hyperbole) now between my input and it showing up on the screen. Safari crashes on basic pages every 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, my Galaxy S6, aside from an anemic battery at this point, actually runs just as smooth, if not better, than when I bought it. The UX still scrolls smooth. Sure some of the newer stuff makes my phone chug, I expect that, but the basic navigation and typing and stuff is still smooth.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Subnautica This Month
8. Re: Subnautica This Month Jan 9, 2018, 13:25 Flatline

MajorD wrote on Jan 9, 2018, 13:01:
Good, now I can play from start to finish. During EA, any time I would start a new game, I would come back to play more, after not playing for a while, and have to start a new game again due to another patch/update and the previous saved game would not be compatible with latest release.

Yeah I am looking forward to the full release. It's a great game, lots of fun. I'm hoping they continue to add stuff to the game too.

News Comments > CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit
28. Re: CIG Responds to Crytek Lawsuit Jan 8, 2018, 18:32 Flatline

What are the odds that the next delay is due to Star Citizen implementing a fully functional justice system, with grand juries, jury duty, judges, appellate courts, supreme courts, and a Galactic Bar that you can study and pay to test to achieve your Galactic Barrister license?

Judge seats selling now at the discount sale price of only 38,000 dollars per seat for a lifetime appointment.

News Comments > Cloud Gaming Returns
18. Re: Cloud Gaming Returns Jan 4, 2018, 16:22 Flatline

aka_STEVE wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 14:33:
...brought to you by Robertsspaceindustries virtual gaming consoles.

OH FFS DO NOT GIVE THE MAN IDEAS

That's just what we need.

11. Re: Cloud Gaming Returns Jan 4, 2018, 12:55 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 12:49:
Sounds like a great plan! Especially AFTER NN has been killed in the US!
How much money are these clowns going to piss away on this? Streaming gaming is never going to happen - affordable and playable.

The only scenario I could see is in an environment with a municipal ISP and you offer it to the region that the ISP covers. That way it stays within one or two router hops of the client and is less likely to experience jitter and latency and dropped packets.

It's about as close to a dedicated virtual circuit as you could get, which is what you'd basically need in this scenario.

10. Re: Cloud Gaming Returns Jan 4, 2018, 12:53 Flatline

NKD wrote on Jan 4, 2018, 10:52:
You guys remember all the fucking shilling about OnLive when that was supposedly the next big thing? Those guys were everywhere.

Oh yes I remember the long in depth rants about latency from button presses and how simply displaying a frame on the monitor/TV was faster than rendering it and blah blah blah.

Fact of the matter is that the internet is a lossy transmission system. Period. These days you probably are better with more bandwidth generally available (the demos for OnLive used 60mbps fiber, and 60mbps is generally available to high speed markets), but that doesn't help jitter, latency, packet loss, and all the other unavoidable bits about the internet.

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
50. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 4, 2018, 12:11 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 13:39:
Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:58:
Didn't this game have an unusually long dev cycle? I remember when it was announced and it seemed like a yawn then. When it came out it felt like a game with a late 90's early 2000's design aesthetic with modern graphics.

Which was the biggest issue(s), I think. Overestimating how many people wanted 90s-era gameplay. And how many didn't care much about aesthetic (or they thought their aesthetic was fine and not supergeneric.)

Lawbreakers was largely 90s gameplay style with new gameplay modes. Overwatch, from what I've seen (never played), is 90s gameplay style with new features and a very shiny, modern coat of paint.

Overwatch feels like Team Fortress 2.5. It's fun, and the supers are actually a great idea and with some skill can make a large difference. They dropped some of the archetypes from TF2, and split other archetypes down into smaller sub-types.

As for it being a 90's style shooter? Sort of. But there's some modern ideas in there.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 12:43 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 12:13:
Flatline wrote on Jan 3, 2018, 11:53:
I've had good to excellent kickstarter experiences with board games. The only video games I've kickstarted that I had a good experience with is the Shadowrun/Battletech games from Harebrained.

Meh, I backed D:OS 1 and D:OS 2 and obviously those are fantastic games

Backed quite a few games with huge delays as well.... Bloodstained

.... which is still MIA

Oh don't get me wrong there's been some great success stories for video games on Kickstarter.

It's just that usually by the time a board game finds its way to kickstarter, you have the prototype done, and probably the final art done or being done, and the odds of it getting to print are pretty high. There will be delays, that's almost inevitable, especially with Chinese printing, but like, you can pretty easily work out how much money you need to finish a kickstarted board game once you get it to a certain point, and that point is generally *way* farther along than a kickstarted video game.

News Comments > Nexon Cutting LawBreakers Losses; Blames PUBG
8. Re: Nexon Cutting LawBreaker Losses; Blames PUBG Jan 3, 2018, 11:58 Flatline

Didn't this game have an unusually long dev cycle? I remember when it was announced and it seemed like a yawn then. When it came out it felt like a game with a late 90's early 2000's design aesthetic with modern graphics.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 3, 2018, 11:53 Flatline

I've had good to excellent kickstarter experiences with board games. The only video games I've kickstarted that I had a good experience with is the Shadowrun/Battletech games from Harebrained.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
14. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 2, 2018, 17:22 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 15:02:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 13:52:
My son had the neighborhood kids over for a sleep over (5 8-9 year olds). They all got on their iPads and started watching "savage" Jake Paul videos.

They can play video games into the wee hours of the morning, they can eat junk food, they can binge watch Sponge Bob, but there's no way in hell this Youtube filth or his brother are polluting these kids heads when they're in my house.

So, you got on the router and blocked Youtube?

Straight up blocking is a terrible idea.

Limiting the bandwidth to youtube to about... oh... 128kbps is the idea. You want them to see that it's actually loading so they don't catch on that it's you, not them.

Additionally, this is an excellent article on the freakishness that people are plugging their toddlers and young children into all day long.

https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2

And out of freakish curiosity, for a while if I saw a little kid staring at their iphone/ipad mutely and I had the opportunity, I'd sneak a look and see what they were watching. Very, very frequently it's this mixed up psychotic kids' programming. The last one I saw had spider man with wolverine style blades stabbing peppa pig repeatedly while other characters giggled in the background. The kid watching it was entirely slackjawed entranced. Not bothered at all.

News Comments > Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment?
10. Re: Another Destiny 2 Progression Impediment? Jan 2, 2018, 12:04 Flatline

Rhett wrote on Jan 1, 2018, 20:16:
It just sucks because it's a great alternative to Borderlands, because Borderlands' gunplay is garbage... but now it's more of a store/collection simulator than a game.

Borderlands psychotic loot generation system + Destiny/Halo's combat model = nerdgasm.

News Comments > BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG
35. Re: BattlEye Bans a Boatload in PUBG Dec 29, 2017, 17:12 Flatline

Quinn wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 07:30:
These bans are so after-the-fact that you can simply never be even a little bit certain that you're up against non-cheaters.

I've been outplayed so many times in PUBG that I just cannot believe I suck that fucking much. People seem to know exactly where I am and take a fuckload of bullets. Yesterday I put 2 shotgun shells in an enemy before he turned around and oneshotted me. That was 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back -- which is the general sensation I'm having when playing this fucking game.

As for players knowing right where you are, I know some people play often enough that they learn general player behavior due to supply drops, upgrades, etc... and hunt those out. I don't play PUBG so I can't really comment specifically, but I've seen some people play that really have player behavior down pretty well.

As for the shotgun, I dunno how bullet spongy the game is in general, but bad netcoding and lag can do that. When packets get out of sync and prediction becomes less and less reliable, who do you trust? Sounds like the prediction and netcode blows. Either that or people are either making use of lag or inducing lag to manipulate the system.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 15:49 Flatline

Agent.X7 wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 15:00:
HuffPo posted a sensible article? The end times are surely upon us!

My problem with HuffPo is that while it has/had some legitimate news/journalism going on, like 80% of the site is op eds and editorials and fluff pieces and they mix the two liberally.

Basically it's the Fox News of the left.

News Comments > Op Ed
19. Re: Op Ed Dec 29, 2017, 15:48 Flatline

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 15:23:
Beamer wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 11:32:
Ozmodan wrote on Dec 29, 2017, 11:24:
Citing any article from the Huffington Post is an exercise in futility. There has been more fake news from them than any other news organization. About all they are good for is a few daily laughs.

Citation needed.
Find one fake news article they haven't retracted.

Fun fact: Breitbart was one of the 'founders' of The Huffington Post, and even wrote op-eds for them. You should be able to find a biography of Breitbart that was written about him shortly after he died. It was probably published by Slate, but I can't remember. I looked it up in 2014 and was amazed.

Andrew Breitbart was kind of a douche from the times I saw him on Bill Maher, but aside from one assertion that he had proof on his cell phone that would "Bring down the Obama administration" he seemed like he was kind of grounded in reality. Still, it wasn't until his site was taken over by Bannon that it went from basically a kind of Drudge Report level website to full blown "infowars with a billionaire backing them" level of crazy.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities
8. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities Dec 24, 2017, 23:24 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 21:50:
Flatline wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 17:45:
ItBurn wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 17:43:
Division is a great game overall. For 4-5 hours. Then you've played every possible gameplay combinations and all that's left is the same exact thing over and over.

Dunno what you're talking about. I played casually and got almost 100 hours in. The single player story will take you almost 20 hours.

I mean, any reality-based shooter you can say shows you everything you'll see inside of 15 minutes essentially.

Yes, facing the same groups of enemies over and over and over again. You completely missed what we were saying.

No I understood completely. If taken literally you've made a completely useless point because almost *every* game gets repetitive within 15 minutes essentially as they are all, by necessity, systems of patterns that have some variation. If taken figuratively it's still inaccurate because you don't run out of new content and new variations on the Division until probably about 20 hours in, not 4-5.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities
3. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Sequel Possibilities Dec 24, 2017, 17:45 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Dec 24, 2017, 17:43:
Division is a great game overall. For 4-5 hours. Then you've played every possible gameplay combinations and all that's left is the same exact thing over and over.

Dunno what you're talking about. I played casually and got almost 100 hours in. The single player story will take you almost 20 hours.

I mean, any reality-based shooter you can say shows you everything you'll see inside of 15 minutes essentially.

News Comments > Squadron 42 Specs and Trailer; Star Citizen Selling Tanks
1. Re: Squadron 42 Specs and Trailer; Star Citizen Selling Tanks Dec 20, 2017, 19:28 Flatline

And by "SSD strongly recommended" they mean "your game will run like a slide show if you don't have it".

As I discovered the last time I tried to run the goddamn thing.

And... tanks... for 100 bucks a pop. LOLOLOL

How long is it going to take to put the tank physics engine in the game? I mean, considering the FPS module is a steaming sack of shit still right now...

News Comments > Destiny 2 is Activision's "Biggest PC Launch"
25. Re: Destiny 2 is Activision's Dec 20, 2017, 17:03 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 16:55:
So there must be a sweet-spot where everything converged and the whole world was perfect and everybody lived in peace and harmony and gaming was the best. Oh yeah, and the music rocked.

According to The Onion's version of Joe Biden, that would be the summer of '87

https://politics.theonion.com/biden-says-life-better-than-it-was-4-years-ago-but-noth-1819573866

News Comments > Destiny 2 is Activision's "Biggest PC Launch"
23. Re: Destiny 2 is Activision's Dec 20, 2017, 16:51 Flatline

ledhead1969 wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 16:26:
Creston wrote on Dec 20, 2017, 10:39:
The game has earned more than 90 awards and nominations to date

Best Lootboxes
Best Avoiding Gamers Wrath About Lootboxes
Best Letting EA Take All the Shit for the Exact Same Thing
Best Job Advertisement for Hiring a Lootbox Designer

I don't get all the hate. I have multiple high-level characters and I have never spent a dime on a loot box. There is no need. Maybe, in a round about way you could spend money to get blue mods to then create purple ones? Or, a purple one might drop? They can all be had by just playing the game.

Other than that (which is is no way necessary or even smart) the eververse stuff is all ships, shaders, and other stuff that provides no benefit in game as far as I can tell.

I've got all the weapons that are BIS for the raids, all the armor, and all of the mods I want and have never even thought about buying anything.

SWBFII was completely different. The boxes had the chance to give you significant upgrades to your build.

Maybe I'm missing something, but your post is fairly scathing of a mechanic that I have never experienced.

Well, Destiny/Destiny 2 are kind of designed for collecting. They've made some bad decision points- the shaders are charges now, and you use them up per piece of armor/weapon, and that royally sucks. So the bright engrams are important for the high end "collecting" stuff. Which kind of sucks because it's no longer tied to activity in game as much as it is either loot box or pay for loot boxes.

But I agree. I haven't felt the need to buy anything in Destiny 2 aside from content (I got the season pass version of the game for dirt cheap over black friday)

Edit: What I would love is Borderlands' loot system inside Destiny. The eleventy gajillion guns/armor combos would make me pretty happy.

3245 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo