Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3001 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans
14. Re: Werewolf: The Apocalypse Game Plans Jan 20, 2017, 18:36 Flatline

Fion wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 15:00:
Very cool, long time fan. Though for people who know WoD Pen & Paper RPG, I much prefer the Chronicles of Darkness & Werewolf: the Forsaken, Apocalypse has a very interesting setting & flavor and will make an awesome game.

The Werewolf reboot literally had the acronym WTF which is about how the fanbase reacted to it.

The game as shipped in the core book was boring to the point of tears. Sure, WTA was about playing ecoterrorist walking blenders, but the fun part of that was the walking blender part.

WTF took that idea and said "eh... negotiable." The whole concept of the game is that you're a street gang protecting a few blocks from... like... stuff. Spirits I guess.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Season 9 Underway
12. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 18:57 Flatline

Slick wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 16:55:
Thanks for the break-down, yeah it's been a while. And I never said i didn't like the game, infact I said I really enjoyed the gameplay. It was replaying the main campaign over and over until your eyes bled that did me in.

I heard about the first DLC (is there a second?) but I thought it was just one extra act of the main campaign, so you'd just replay a 20% longer campaign over and over until your eyes bled.

I'l have to look into this, as I've been doing so much HotS lately while procrastinating for work, that I think I could get back into the whole top-down clicky clicky minion smasher thing, as that's basically what HotS is.

There is another large-ish act that the expansion adds. However, the loot system was completely overhauled and improved and the game feels more high-end than it used to. You still grind for gear, but almost out of the gate you get legendaries, set pieces, and other fun stuff. You also get a powered-up horadric cube that you get to pull legendary/unique powers out of from old gear and retain the abilities from and stuff. It's fun to see how balls out over the top you can get.

News Comments > Diablo III Season 9 Underway
9. Re: Diablo III Season 9 Underway Jan 19, 2017, 16:36 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 16:03:
Slick wrote on Jan 19, 2017, 13:10:
I haven't played D3 since the first 2 months after launch, after it was obvious that there was no real end-game content other than replaying the same game at harder difficulties, since only about 5% of the game had "randomly" generated dungeons.

So let me get this straight, these "seasons" are just resetting ALL char progression, and starting fresh every few months? And each session would involve playing through the same content through multiple (I think there's 10 now?) difficulties?

That seems like a spiraling black-hole of repetition. I mean I do love the gameplay, but jesus, how many times can you play through the same campaign?

Game changed fundamentally since then, and especially with the addon. But the repetition point is true. It is not the campaign though, but rather the map tiles that start to repeat infinitely... especially in greater rifts. Rifts (the normal ones) are at least somewhat fun, and some areas are big open fields, which is where the game truly starts to shine. Enemy type is random in those rifts, in normal rifts you can find many unique treasure goblins (the blue gel ones are especially crazy)

To explain to you seasons I can assure you ain't nobody who plays Seasons that goes through the campaign Everyone goes bounties -> rifts -> greater rifts. And there is a good incentive to do seasons, season reward is often a complete set which allows you to (easily) experiment with a new build. I think if you disliked D3 wholesale from the start this wouldn't be something you enjoy doing though.

Surprisingly it is really a lot of fun to "level up" through a season. Which you can do very quickly nowadays, talking less than 5 hours to 60 if you do it lazily / chill. (and craft the "leveling" low level sets)

I'm a pretty serious n00b and I level capped in about 6 hours. Nobody actually explained to me the first time I tried seasons that you can switch to adventure mode and go straight into bounties. Oops. That was boring AF but it was a fun weekend that I spent getting the season set.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Last Stand Details Tomorrow
2. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Last Stand Details Tomorrow Jan 18, 2017, 23:14 Flatline

I tried the survival mode finally. It was... okay. But the pacing felt off. I felt like I was basically wandering around hoping something happened. I eventually stumbled into some highly equipped mobs and died. I doubt I'll go back in. Strangely enough I survived longer than 50% of the group I was with.

Underground is kind of fun but my god I'm progressing through it slowly.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
21. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 14:21 Flatline

SirKnight wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 13:07:
El Pit wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 12:31:
ForgedReality wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 11:16:
So, basically, he regrets ever suggesting there would be a third game, and he's pissed that so many people now want one. "GOD DAMMIT! What have I gotten myself into?!" Also, the next game will be Just Another Shooting Gallery Style Game Where You Are Confined To A Small Space Since That's All VR Seems To Be Capable Of And Will Pretty Much Die Out Soon And Be Generally Regarded As A Bad Idea type game called Half-Portal VR.

VR = dying quicker than the last 3D wave

Nope. It's only "dying" for those who, for some odd reason, want it to fail.

It still doesn't have a killer app that says YOU MUST BUY THIS.

That and it seems like the original vanguard of the platform, Oculus Rift, is sputtering a little. Plus, nobody has figured out control schemes that make sense in VR either. Sure, driving and pilot sim games are an obvious solution, but nobody has figured out much beyond that.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
19. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 18, 2017, 14:16 Flatline

El Pit wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 13:38:
Gabe, why don't you just sell the Half-Life rights to another company that actually cares? No loss to you, since you don't care about it, but a win of $$$ for you and a win for all H-L fans (and the company that buys the rights and releases the next H-L game). Go Lucas and SELL, Gabe!

I kind of get his discussion about regret and HL. And it's probably mixed in with why he doesn't want to push into HL3. He probably feels like the games propelled Valve into a direction that they don't want to go with the game, and that reluctance, plus the general regret that he sees, equal apathy and no real desire to push. He's waiting for Muse to basically shit something into his lap and then he'll probably be into it, but unless that happens HL is dead.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Gold
3. Re: Halo Wars 2 Gold Jan 18, 2017, 14:12 Flatline

Yeah I'm surprised by the sequel as well. It was a competent RTS back in the day if my memory of it is accurate. Not especially interesting or innovative other than the idea that they managed to shoehorn in RTS controls into the XBox in a halfway competent way.  

News Comments > Civilization VI Linux Plans
1. Re: Civilization VI Linux Plans Jan 10, 2017, 13:20 Flatline

I picked up civ6 over the holiday and holy hell the barbarians are relentless. They also tech up pretty fast too.  

News Comments > No Mass Effect: Andromeda Season Pass
13. Re: No Mass Effect: Andromeda Season Pass Jan 8, 2017, 15:16 Flatline

HoSpanky wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 14:11:
Sadly, the one "NO pay DLC!" Game this year was intentionally killed by EA. Titanfall 2 was pushed out in a bad spot between BF1 and COD. It's a shame, Titanfall 2 is pretty spectacular. The single player is short, but crazy awesome. Most of the missions are on the level of Valve games, no exaggeration. The multiplayer is just as goofy fun as the original.

I'd bet anything EA will claim that was their test of if people wanted games with no pay DLC, and since it sold poorly, clearly the masses have spoken.

But, maybe I'm wrong.

Supposedly the game has 4 times the budget of it's predecessor.

I seriously, seriously doubt that EA would throw away tens of millions of dollars just to "prove" that people want paid DLC.

News Comments > Firewatch Sells 1M
9. Re: Firewatch Sells 1M Jan 4, 2017, 22:32 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 18:26:
Gratz on their success, good to see a small team of experienced developers moving away from publishers.

It's more of a story/walking simulator to me, the choices don't mean much at all and has a poor ending. It's an interesting story, if your into that sort of thing. There's no real need to ever play it again, once you know what's going on. It's not like you can improve on your game experience.

The biggest Independent developer surprise hit, for me was Survivalist. Even though it's two years old, it was new to me and couldn't stop playing it. Lighter

It came along for me as I was ending a 3 year stretch where I was caring for someone with Alzheimer's and it really moved me. Very well written I felt.

That being said, playing it a second time for the audio commentary is great, and they opened it up to just explore around in too and take scenery photos.

It makes me want to have like a backpacking/rock climbing/spelunking/hang gliding/orienteering game that takes place in a world about the size of Skyrim if not bigger and is just flat out exploration and wandering. In my mind I call it "Range".

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 3, 2017, 14:27 Flatline

descender wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 14:23:
The Clean Power Plan passed by Obama doesn't actually go into effect until 2022.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant, though. Fuckin Obama!

I don't think we should be worried about keeping towns in the mountains of west virginia afloat just because they used to be sustained by coal jobs. Coal is fucked, coal is over. No one should be feeling bad about the jobs lost, they are shit awful jobs. These people don't need their coal jobs back, they need education so they can get different jobs.

Just like the auto industry in Detroit... these jobs are never coming back thanks to automation. The people living in these areas need to be told this instead of being constantly lied to. This is how we end up with statements like "Hillary abandoned the blue collar worker". No, she just didn't lie to them about bringing jobs back that are never coming back. They didn't want to hear that, so they felt "abandoned". It's time for these people to wake the fuck up and get with the times.

I generally agree.

But. If you're passed the aged of 40 or so the odds of you getting reeducated and then employed in anything like a decent job are slim. Nobody wants a n00b with only 10-15 years of work left in them. These are the people you need to pitch something like Basic Universal Income to. Or just let them retire early as we intentionally transition away from their industry. If you're over say 40 and you lose your coal mining job due to the employer going out of business, you qualify for retirement. One time thing, government declares the industry is obsolete/being phased out, and the social net supports the 20,000 or so coal miners it'd impact.

That'll never happen, but at this point it's probably what needs to happen.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 3, 2017, 14:24 Flatline

WebSoldier wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 13:22:
Correct. Only because of the needless Obama regulations on coal. Look at the price of natural gas now, versus the price of coal prior to Obama. Remove the regulations and your answer is incorrect.

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=25392

Looks like coal first started it's current nosedive around 2006 or so whereas natural gas has continued pretty steadily to increase in terms of market share of power. But coal has been declining fairly steadily for 25 years now.

News Comments > Diablo Turns 20
6. Re: Diablo Turns 20 Jan 1, 2017, 19:01 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 1, 2017, 17:43:
Fuck this casual monkey clickfest garbage with a hot spiky metal rod sans lubrication. This shitfest was and is a bane on the true RPG genre. This should have never even been associated with RPGs. It should have gotten its own "For monkeys and 4 year olds" genre. That would have saved the RPG genre a lot of disgrace that was brought upon it by lame Diablo clones or the feeble attempts to add Diablo flavor to what could have become good real RPGs. It's the 20 year anniversary of the decline of the RPG genre. The only people retarded enough to celebrate this shit are Blizztard of course.

Time to switch to decaf dude.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Rescale Launches
1. Re: American Truck Simulator Rescale Launches Dec 12, 2016, 21:39 Flatline

"Completely reworked city Oxnard"

I grew up in Oxnard. Any time making oxnard more realistic is a bullet point in your game, you've failed.

News Comments > Shadow Warrior 2 Free DLC
8. Re: Shadow Warrior 2 Free DLC Dec 9, 2016, 12:33 Flatline

I ended up refunding it on steam because I had such bad stuttering and jittering in the game I couldn't play it.

Apparently there is potentially a way to fix it but I really don't want to bother with it.

Too bad. I was looking forward to it.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patched
8. Re: No Man's Sky Patched Dec 7, 2016, 14:36 Flatline

Is this the patch that adds gameplay to the game?  

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced
45. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 5, 2016, 12:19 Flatline

GinRummy wrote on Dec 4, 2016, 13:33:
I know Mechwarrior and Battletech are not the same thing, although they get to fight with big robots. There was a sucessful Kickstarter for a new Battletech game for the PC a while ago which is still in the works, at http://battletechgame.com/

Actually they're set in the same universe. Mechwarrior is just the sim game.

News Comments > MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced
44. Re: MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced Dec 5, 2016, 12:18 Flatline

Overon wrote on Dec 5, 2016, 11:12:
I have a bias against PGI. The shitshow that was MWO which is little more than a Mech buying simulator with team deathmatch, turned me off. The way that Russ Bullock the leader of PGI lied and misrepresented reality, has made me think that he is a hack. So I'm not a fan. I can go into the long litany of lies and misrepresentations but I won't. That trailer is not impressive. Why would a light Mech that didn't even exist in the lore at the time, fight one on one toe to toe against a medium Mech? The premise of the video doesn't make sense. This has all the hallmark of the PGI hacks and Russ Bullock at the helm. PGI has a bad reputation for good reasons, look at their track record. Don't preorder and take what they say and their claims with a grain of salt.

That's okay. Harebrained is working hard on deploying their battletech game. Sure it won't be a first person sim but it's coming along well and unlike a lot of old school devs Jordan Weisman seems like a pretty decent producer for someone who created Battletech in the early 80's.

News Comments > Steep Released
4. Re: Steep Released Dec 2, 2016, 15:40 Flatline

descender wrote on Dec 2, 2016, 15:04:
Is anyone playing this? I so desperately long for a new snowboarding game.

I actually really miss the SSX series. SSX Tricky was probably the most fun because it was batshit insane comic book snowboarding, but SSX3 was a lot of fun too. Some of those runs from the peak top down to the bottom took like 20 minutes it was great.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 23, 2016, 12:49 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 23, 2016, 12:00:
What makes you think Putin won't do it now that his pal Don is in charge? I'm sure if he asks nicely the Rooskies will do just that. If I was Snow I'd be looking to head to Argentina or something PDQ!

Do you think Snowden is in Russia by choice? He was on his way... Somewhere I can't remember where specifically. But his passport was yanked by the US while he was in transition in Moscow. Russia granted him asylum but he can't really leave the country without a passport.

I'm not actually sure how Germany intends to get him to actually show up when he legally can't leave the country.

3001 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo