Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2747 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny Still Destined for PCs?
17. Re: Destiny Still Destined for PCs? Aug 21, 2015, 22:45 Flatline

Man I played a lot of warframe when it launched. Went back recently and it was like WTF they changed almost everything.

It was fun enough that I dropped 20 bucks into it and got about 50 hours of playtime. Not too shabby I thought.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
25. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 14:08 Flatline

harlock wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:06:
Flatline wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 14:01:
Vulkan wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 12:20:
"The poster child for this right now might be Zoe Quinn, who at the time of writing has yet to be able to return to her home due to the recent unpleasantness (and is drawing closer to becoming the video game world's fatwa-era Salman Rushdie by the day)"

Yes, she's *just* like Rushdie. Right in the trash you go mr. bad article.

I wasn't aware that Mr Rushdie slept with half a dozen Islamic clergy while formulating his criticisms.

but then again, they both really like anal

I just blew chicken soup out my nose laughing thanks...

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 14:01 Flatline

Vulkan wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 12:20:
"The poster child for this right now might be Zoe Quinn, who at the time of writing has yet to be able to return to her home due to the recent unpleasantness (and is drawing closer to becoming the video game world's fatwa-era Salman Rushdie by the day)"

Yes, she's *just* like Rushdie. Right in the trash you go mr. bad article.

I wasn't aware that Mr Rushdie slept with half a dozen Islamic clergy while formulating his criticisms.

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2015, 13:57 Flatline

Necrophob wrote on Aug 20, 2015, 11:59:
Perhaps the reason there aren't rows and rows of PC games on the shelves anymore is because of Steam and other digital only sellers, hmmm? I don't know when the last time I bought software on a disc.

Yeah I came here to say this.

My rate of piracy went down to 0 and has been there for over a decade now as I grew up and got a job that paid enough for me to indulge in my hobby, even as the ease of piracy went up.

Hell my current PC doesn't even have an optical media player in it. I just don't need it anymore.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
28. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 19, 2015, 13:29 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Aug 19, 2015, 00:07:
This is regarding:

“When we first started, we raised $6 million with crowdfunding,” Roberts told me. “That was a lot, but it still wasn’t what we were gonna make the game for because we had private investors lined up. At that point, we were thinking of making a much more contained game. But as things went on and the stretch goals kept getting hit, people were basically saying, ‘We want this feature’ and ‘we want that feature.’ So obviously, the scope changed. It naturally follows that if you’re gonna build a house and then someone says, ‘No, we want you to build a huge castle,’ even if you have a lot more money, it’s gonna take more time to build the castle.”

Two points.

1. When funding reached 20 million Roberts wrote a community letter praising their combined efforts to reach such a milestone. In that letter he wanted to address their growing concerns over scope creep.

There has been some concern about “feature creep” with the additional stretch goals. You should all know that we carefully consider the goals we announce.

. . .

The first are goals that involve features we already have planned or have implemented, but we couldn’t create content because of budgetary constraints.

. . .

But both types of goals are carefully considered — we don’t commit to adding features that would hold up the game’s ability to go “live” in a fully functional state.

So in September 2013 Roberts tells concerned Backers "No, it's cool. This is shit we planned to add from the beginning. We just need more Backers - like you - to give us more money to make it happen." Then today, August 2015, Chris is now blaming those very Backers for the game's current "scope creep". Like what the actual fuck?!

2. Roberts now admits in writing that "we were thinking of making a much more contained game". In other words that game he pitched on Kickstarter.

I'm at a complete loss for words. This is like the scene in "A Few Good Men" when Jessep admits to ordering the death of PFC Santiago in a court of law.

Go look at the stretch goals. They stopped substantially at like 20 million or so (I can't remember the actual number). Everything after that is either new ships or new planets.

None of the infrastructure of the game expanded past that point supposedly.

News Comments > Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House
23. Re: Star Citizen FPS Development Moves In-House Aug 18, 2015, 16:27 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 18, 2015, 15:56:
As for Star Marine, I really hope they will replace just about ALL of the animations before it is released. The stuff they showed at Gamescom was ridiculously bad for a company that constantly boasts about "highest fidelity", "immersion" and "revolutionary" things.
Fuck, they even had a stretch goal for their own mocap studio so how can you seriously with a straight face show off animations that look like an amateur asshole like me slapped them together in five mins?

That stretch goal was only to *build* their own mocap studio. The 105 million dollar goal is to actually *use* the mocap studio.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access
40. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access Aug 15, 2015, 00:38 Flatline

Dacron wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 11:21:
Flatline wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 16:49:
In other words nothing has changed since literally day 1 of AC. That sums my experience up entirely.

Fixing the AC ids the 90 million stretch goal. Don't you want to see the game you've invested in succeed? Donate now! /s

*claps*

Bravo!

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools
31. Re: The Witcher 3 Adds Mod Tools Aug 15, 2015, 00:36 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 14, 2015, 13:52:

Eeeeeeexactacaly. It might also have to do with TESO. Maybe Beth does indeed hope that people with an itch for TES will hop on TESO sooner or later.

I picked it up for 11 bucks and am having almost zero fun in it. Not sure what's missing from it compared to, say, any TES game but there's a vital element missing.

News Comments > Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access
36. Re: Star Citizen Dogfighting Module Access Aug 13, 2015, 16:49 Flatline

Keith wrote on Aug 13, 2015, 09:28:
Got the launcher. Had to disable antivirus as it believed the launch file to be a virus. Downloaded this portion of the game, took about 45 minutes via cable. Launched. Brings you to an apparently empty (except for your faceless, bodiless self) hanger. Moved towards the exit. Game froze. CTRL-ALT-DELETE to get out of it. Retried. Same thing. Rebooted, retried. Same thing. Deleted until further improvements.

In other words nothing has changed since literally day 1 of AC. That sums my experience up entirely.

News Comments > etc.
15. Re: etc. Aug 11, 2015, 14:55 Flatline

Acleacius wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 11:52:
nin wrote on Aug 10, 2015, 09:31:
It Will Be a “Very Long Time” Before we Hear About the Next Elder Scrolls Game; Team 100% Focused on Fallout 4.

Damn. I'm excited for F4, but I'm really getting an ES itch. Maybe time for a Skyrim replay.

ESO is a good way to get your fix. It was down to $12 US, just a couple of weeks ago. Probably the best part is getting to see all the new and fleshed out areas of the world, with new graphics. zenimax developers seem to be doing better than bethesda in many areas. It's nice to have better dialog, not great but certainly better. There's actually bug fixing, so most quests work! Amazed

I absolutely cannot get into it. I'm just bored as fucking fuck with it and I don't know why. I regret the 11 dollars I spent on it so far. The quests seem boring and generic as all hell.

News Comments > Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown
76. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 18:20 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 18:12:
Flatline wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 18:03:

Yeah I've been wondering how close to saturated the market is already for SC. I think it'd be fair to say that over 50% of their market has already invested. Probably closer to 75% if I had to guess.

So even if it launches complete, how the f*ck is it *profitable*?

Therein lies the rub. Especially since those already vested, will expect to have EVERYTHING coming out - including SQ42 - for free, since they've already paid for it.

Which is why I mentioned the ponzi/pyramid scheme example in the blog I wrote yesterday.

Yeah I have a gut feeling that we haven't begun to see the monetization required to keep SC running. If you believed their original budget projections, they should have like 30 million for dev and then a 50 million dollar warchest which you'd think would ensure the game running for years and years on a minimal monetization model.

The later they get, the smaller that warchest gets, and the sooner they're going to have to figure out a revenue stream to keep things running.

And sorry, single player SQ42 part 2 and 3 isn't going to cut it. Because yeah, if they divide that game up into pay to play for parts 2 and 3 I'm going to be motherfucking *pissed off*. And even if the backers *do* get all 3 parts free, space combat sims aren't big enough to keep the whole monster running.

I suspect we'll see subscriptions. Or grab-your-ankles levels of micro-transactions.

75. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 18:16 Flatline

Oh and as for the video, the tech demo is kind of cool, but I remember playing in a turret in X-Wing Alliance and you know what? 15 minutes in a fucking turret basically playing a rail shooter is balls. Rail shooters are barely a genre any more they're so boring.

The only positive post I saw in 4 pages of thread concerning the *concept* of the turrets is "yay now I can *chat* with my friends instead of playing!"

Because... you know... there aren't eleventy billion chat programs out there already. Fuck Steam has one built in.

73. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 18:12 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 16:49:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 14:26:
Hey Derek Smart,

Why not just kickstarter a squadron 42 type game without the crazy ambitions?

Because I don't have any interest in developing simple games which don't capture my genius and creativity.

Anyway, this is new. Get ready to change your pants.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace

Wow thanks for the heads up on that. It looks like an unholy love child between a roguelike, Raiden Shumps, and Freelancer. I'll mark that to be watched and back it if it looks like it's getting towards funding.

72. Re: Star Citizen Multi-Crew Shown Aug 8, 2015, 18:03 Flatline

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 10:49:
I think there's a lot of ill-placed belief in future sales of both Squadron 42, and whatever "Star citizen" turns out to be.

There's a reason that EA and the big studios aren't making games likes this, and it boils down to mass appeal. Some people here like games like this, and I sometimes enjoy games likes this, but as a whole the gaming community doesn't buy these games.

If you haven't backed this game already, you probably aren't going to until it is actually released or you aren't going to buy it at all, and when it is actually released, what are the sales numbers going to be like considering that the majority of people who want to play this game already backed it at an earlier stage?

So really...the only option for CIG is to keep producing ships, and now ship parts to be sold for real money in order to increase funds. The idea that this is going to take off, and every kid in America is going to put down his X-box controller, beg his parents to spend $3,000 on a gaming rig, and start living as "Star Citizens" is ridiculous.

The current business model is only sustainable by selling in-game items for cash, and considering the store existed way before the game, the store is the priority, and not the "game."

Yeah I've been wondering how close to saturated the market is already for SC. I think it'd be fair to say that over 50% of their market has already invested. Probably closer to 75% if I had to guess.

So even if it launches complete, how the f*ck is it *profitable*?

News Comments > John Wick VR Game Announced
10. Re: John Wick VR Game Announced Aug 8, 2015, 17:53 Flatline

Fantaz wrote on Aug 8, 2015, 03:17:
they should make a really good game based on The Matrix.

and i will always be waiting for this to happen one day.

If memory serves JW was written and directed by The Matrix stunt people. That's why the action's good.

News Comments > Stellaris Announced
6. Re: Stellaris Announced Aug 7, 2015, 14:03 Flatline

Task wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 21:26:
I missed that detail. Indeed not a whole lot of space games are centered around mainly exploring Star Trek or Next Generation style.

That's one late game option according to RPS:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08/06/stellaris-paradox-strategy-game/

Others include weird stuff like AI uprisings, punching holes in reality and letting swarm creatures through, and weird shit like that. I'm actually *really* excited after reading the RPS description. They seem to have really wanted the mid and late games to have some real meat on it and that makes me kind of giddy.

News Comments > New Overwatch Hero Unveiled
5. Re: New Overwatch Hero Unveiled Aug 6, 2015, 11:40 Flatline

nin wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 11:04:
BitWraith wrote on Aug 6, 2015, 11:00:
I'm having a hard time figuring out who gives a crap about this game.

They certainly seem to be pushing it hard.

They have to recoup/have something to show for 10 years of dev costs from Titan somehow.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
10. Re: Evening Interviews Aug 5, 2015, 18:53 Flatline

Julio wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 18:26:
ldonyo wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 18:00:
Chris seems to spend all of his time giving interviews and looking for even more money.

That's pretty much what Star Citizen is all about. Take the money and change the scope.

Star Citizen: The Search for More Money

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced
31. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Announced Aug 5, 2015, 18:44 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Aug 5, 2015, 13:21:
You can buy the expansion content for 50 or if you're a new user just the expansion for 60 which includes the base game.

Sounds good to me as a new user but if I'd purchased the original game I think I'd feel pretty pissed about them asking for another $50.

I kind of am pissed. The expansion almost hits the sweet spot for me at 45 bucks. I could stomach 40 bucks. That would drop the "core game" price from the 30 or so that you see on sale occasionally now to 20 for the "bundle". I could easily stomach a 30 dollar price point, and am fine for a 40 dollar price point. For some reason though the extra 5 bucks kind of does it for me.

More importantly though, that means that odds are the content for the core elite game after the CQB update is probably going to be static. And that makes me have a sad.

News Comments > Halo Wars 2 Announced
2. Re: Halo Wars 2 Announced Aug 4, 2015, 18:25 Flatline

Yay?

The last Halo Wars was... okay... I guess... The story was utterly forgettable and the gameplay was okay for being on a console.

I just wouldn't peg it as an IP I'd actively develop and pimp out.

2747 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo