Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3174 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's Future Witcher Plans
14. Re: CD Projekt RED's Future Witcher Plans Jul 12, 2018, 13:08 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 12:40:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 12:34:
aka_STEVE wrote on Jul 12, 2018, 09:38:
Yep , easily go prequel trilogy before Geralt - like an Origins storyline of the Witchers' and make another few Billion $$'s

No thanks. Prequels are boring as fuck cuz you already know what happens afterwards. Yawn.

Sequels please. Start the new series with Geralt's funeral or something...

If I recall (and I may not), the whole deal with The Witcher 3 was the end of Witchers. All the schools were dead. The profession was dead.

While I could see a game where you're the last remaining Witcher, that was already kind of TW3. There are no new Witchers being made, or whatever the term was.

Personally, I'd prefer something around the start of Witchers, or mid-level. People can correct me, but it felt like they'd been around for centuries. Lots of room for prequels there. We know where the profession went and where those characters went, but don't know about the big battles or events from centuries prior.

Oh hell yeah. Conjunction of the spheres happened a *long* time before Geralt. Witchers are humanity's response to the Conjunction and magic users got their powers thanks to the Conjunction.

You could go all the way back to the beginning when the monsters were unknown spooky things and the witcher schools were just forming. You don't even have to stick to "witcher", you could tap a magic user for a protagonist.

I don't need more Ciri. I liked her but it's pretty obvious she's not a Witcher. She is, depending on your ending, a Monster Hunter, but not a Witcher.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
17. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 17:35 Flatline

Eirikrautha wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 17:31:
Men face more harassment online than women; men face different kinds of harassment online than women. This is consistent across many different surveys like the one linked above. Men are more likely to be verbally harassed or get death threats. Women are more likely to get stalked or sexually harassed.

I have seen people react to this information by claiming that the kinds of harassment women face is somehow "worse" that what males get, but that is highly opinion-based (is a rape threat worse than a death threat? Less so?). Either way, the idea that the internet is some gender-based minefield exists more in the minds of the folks who want to see it that way. In reality, the internet is mostly just toxic towards everyone...

I will point out that death threats from Internet Tough Guys, while annoying, probably don't interrupt your life as much as stalking or persistent, organized, consistent sexual harassment.

13. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 15:29 Flatline

Can we come away with this with the real lesson being reinforced that Twitter is a cesspool and you should just stay out of it?

If you're writing a 24 tweet threat, fucking post a blog or write an article or something.

God I hate Twitter.

12. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 10, 2018, 15:24 Flatline

Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 11:28:
My girlfriend and I were discussing her firing. I've sen this when I managed for large companies. I would bet she was brought in for a reprimand and talked herself right into being fired instead.

- We'd like to discuss your inappropriate Tweets over the holiday...
- Fuck you! Your misogyny is showing! Don't mansplain to me how to do my job!
- Right, well, yeah. We were going to have a civil discourse, but fuck it. You're fired.

I have a gut feeling you're right, because the tweet wasn't bad enough to go directly to jail, and that something had to have happened during the meeting the next morning. It probably went more along the lines of "you can't do this my boss isn't here" or something like that and escalated from there. The dude getting fired is even weirder. I"d guess he white-knighted her to the management and they bumped him for it.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2018, 13:54 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 13:25:
Linthat22 wrote on Jul 10, 2018, 13:21:
Pours an astro Colt 45 for Lando, R.I.P.

Yeah, I'm kind of done with this series. Looking forward to the new series done by the GoT folks (if that ever even gets made). Bewbs and lightsabers are a match made in the stars!

Yeah the first thing I thought of was basically "Oh hey look they found one more original trilogy character to kill off!"

I backed off my my opinion of TLJ for 6 months to let it settle and make up my mind and in retrospect... It killed Star Wars for me. Not necessarily for the reasons that everyone listed just... I am no longer invested in the story. The 2nd movie left the overall plot in a mess and I really just have no interest any more in it. None of the plot lines are anywhere near the point of resolution. It feels more like the first part of a trilogy than the second part. If they decide to do 4 or 5 ReyWars movies, then okay, the plot pacing will be... basically fine, but as a trilogy let's look at the stakes:

In the span of a few weeks (the time it took for the Rebels to pack up and abandon their base), the entire republic was destroyed completely thanks to Starkiller Base. The New Order supposedly conquered the galaxy in that time according to TLJ opening crawl. The entire resistance/rebels were wiped out down to about 10 people, the public face of whom, Leia, basically can't show up in the next film for obvious reasons. Snoke is dead. According to the novel, Rey basically can mind-rape Kylo Ren for Reasons and learn all his training.

Where we go from here? Who cares. Like seriously I don't care. The only character I was invested in was Finn, and with Phasma literally being the series Wile E Coyote (this is admitted by the writers) his plot arc was shot. I was ready for him to sacrifice himself, since his nemesis is Phasma and Phasma is a joke, Finn has nowhere to go now. He is excess baggage.

News Comments > Gears Tactics Catch-up and Gears of War 5 PC Details
8. Re: Gears Tactics Catch-up and Gears of War 5 PC Details Jun 21, 2018, 13:50 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2018, 13:29:
"Tactics is canon."

Wait, how deep does Gears lore go???

The original Gears of War had quite a bit of story behind it. Plus the architecture of Sera or whatever the world was called suggested a lot. GoW 1 had some gorgeous views for it's day.

I actually really like the idea of a Gears of War tactical game done like XCom. There's a lot of potential there. Then again I own the Gears of War Boardgame and enjoyed that back in the day.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 19, 2018, 16:34 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jun 19, 2018, 11:38:
All currencies will become cryptocurrencies? Yeah. Sure. Someone needs to lay off the drugs. I say just the opposite. They'll be dead within a decade. They're impractical, unstable, really only good for criminals, subject to constant criminal activity - theft in particular - way easier than cash to steal without the risk, and a major environmental nightmare to boot. There is no positive benefit to them, unless you're a crook.

If all currencies become cryptocurrencies then humanity is doomed.

All the green energy deployment that's been accelerating recently across the planet? Completely offset by the increased power usage globally for crypto mining. At the end of 2017 it was estimated that Bitcoin alone used like 32Tw/H a year or around as much energy as Denmark. If the boom had continued, bitcoin alone was on track to match global energy production by 2020.

We'll never clean up our energy supply as long as cryptocurrancies keep eating up the margin that renewables create.

FFS...

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
7. Re: Nerdist, others disavow Chris Hardwick in the wake of ex Chloe Dykstra’s post detailing abuse Jun 16, 2018, 14:31 Flatline

NamecaF wrote on Jun 16, 2018, 00:04:
And everyone's just assuming its this Chris Hardwick, she never mentioned who it was by name.

That's probably so she doesn't have to get sued.

But please tell me someone else that she dated during her 20's that fits the details of the posting. It's pretty specific on multiple accounts.

This is a pretty thin argument to defend him with.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2018, Part 3
47. Re: It Came from E3 2018, Part 3 Jun 14, 2018, 16:42 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 16:18:
Yeah but Trump isn't wrong on NAFTA. And he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, looking out for the best interest of the American worker. Meanwhile Canada has the most expensive dairy on the planet and Canadian consumers have been getting fucked in the ass with this bullshit since the 1970s. Point in fact, Canadians generally pay the most and get the least for virtually everything out of every first world country. It'd be nice if for once we actually had someone looking out for our interests. Dairy. Maple Syrup. Cable. Phone/cell service. Cars. et al. Take your pick, we get fucked on all of them.

Most of the economists I've read, including some conservative ones, are nervous because all of the proposed tariffs will hurt 10 american workers for every 1 worker it helps.

Basically, a *lot* of US Industry relies on cheap steel from other places to remain internationally competitive. And when we start a trade war, the demand will drive the cost of domestic steel up while the sudden surplus of foreign steel will drive the international demand down, lowering prices, and making international companies *more* competitive than domestic companies. So you either need to start slapping tarriffs on entire supply chains that are even remotely foreign or you accept you're going to cause more harm than good.

This isn't a simple equation here. There are tons of down-stream and unintended consequences that happen and Trump doesn't have the patience to learn about them all to anticipate them.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Forsaken Gambit Trailer
8. Re: Destiny 2 Forsaken Gambit Trailer Jun 14, 2018, 16:36 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 13:14:
I look at this and think.. WHy not a horde mode? it would be so easy to do and fun.

Escalation Protocol is a crazy intense horde mode.

It needs some TLC. Right now it's hard to beat unless you get as many of the 10 guardians per instance as you can to participate. If they could shelter it off from the main map and allow a 10 man fireteam it'd be pretty badass.

News Comments > The Division 2 Trailer and Details
6. Re: The Division 2 Trailer and Details Jun 12, 2018, 14:03 Flatline

Nullity wrote on Jun 12, 2018, 12:51:
Pumped for this. Massive has done an excellent job working with the community and improving the first game. It looks/sounds like this one will be starting from a much better position and go beyond that.

Can't wait.

Agreed. I put a couple hundred hours into The Division before it got old on me and I had a great time. I didn't even PvP. Where the game ended up was great and if they're starting from there it'll be fun. The story was fun too so I'm looking forward to getting into it some more and tracking down the rogue agents.

News Comments > Destiny 2: Forsaken Story Trailer
5. Re: Destiny 2: Forsaken Story Trailer Jun 12, 2018, 13:43 Flatline

aka_STEVE wrote on Jun 12, 2018, 11:18:
So the last 2 add-ons have been poorly received & fairly lite on content .... so the answer is to sell us on another story upload ?

hhm ?, Ok

Warmind had a reasonable amount of content. The campaign was short but between escalation protocol and all the little goodies and unlocks thrown in it's turning out to be fun. It also lined up with the exotics weapons pass and that was part of it. Overall I was fine with Warmind.

Curse of Osiris was insulting because half of the content was locked behind the same 3 or 4 missions (The infinite forest). Mercury itself is painful when it's a flashpoint because there's only one public event and the map is the size of a walnut shell.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer
66. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Jun 12, 2018, 11:59 Flatline

Primalchrome wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 15:28:
Flatline wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 14:57:
Cyberpunk 2020 was about attitude more than surroundings. It was totally acceptable to be a cutting edge cyborg warrior and have "bag lady chique" as your personal style.
I love your description. It was totally acceptable until you pushed the envelope with implants and ventured into 'cyber-psychosis'. (which is what the original trailer looked like it was addressing)

Man, that was a great RPG.....there were issues with the rules, but a good GM could still use it as an amazing canvas.

If I remember correctly the lifepath generator literally had "bag lady chique" as your personal style and that stuck with me.

I love RPGs with lifepath generators. I cribbed the basic lifepath generator from Traveller and adapted it to Elite Dangerous and posted it a while back. I wish they had something like that in game.

42. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Jun 11, 2018, 15:06 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 14:46:
2077 looks amazing.

Still trying to make america great again

By 2077 we still haven't tackled the big issues, crime, drugs, poverty,

Flying cars are a thing but so are wheeled vehicles?

Taxi cab drivers are still driving, at least the Arab guy still has a job.

The 2nd amendment is still functioning, all the liberals must be jacked into their virtual safe space.

We've merged English with Chinese and Japanese?, Japan probably turns into an uninhabitable nuclear wasteland in the near future so that sort of makes sense.

CP's DNA is about 80% William Gibson and 20% "other". Back in the 80's it looked like Japan was going to own everything (Go check out the Michael Crichton, yes Jurassic Park author, movie "Rising Sun" with Sean farking Connory and Wesley Snipes for an example of that long-gone attitude). Chinese slips in because of the Triads and organized crime are popular tropes.

CP is an alternate future similar to Fallout at this point in that the turning points for Gibson have already passed or probably won't happen.

So yeah, flying cars are totally there for the rich and fuck you if you can't afford it you are stuck on the ground with the rest of the plebs.

The 2nd Amendment is *not* functioning any more, because most major corporations have established extraterritoriality and are basically their own nation-states. Similar to Snow Crash really. There's a USA of sorts, but it's basically the blanket that is thrown over the economic reality. Guns are big business, and as long as you aren't shooting up the boardroom, there's no need to regulate them away.

And really, what makes you think by 2077 we'd have solved crime, drugs and poverty, when they've been issues for 4000 years worth of civilization? Crime and poverty are even features to some economic models, not bugs.

40. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Jun 11, 2018, 14:57 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 13:36:
Has anyone actually played the PnP game or is just really familiar with what Pondsmith has created? Feel free to chime in how much this trailer is true/untrue to it. I'm more than willing to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt but I have to admit the trailer leaves me feeling a little cautious about getting my hopes up.

The original teaser was 100% straight up faithful to the RPG, down to tiny details like original artwork and drawn architecture from the RPG.

Let's note that the game has it's idiosyncrasies. The PCs can literally play rebel underground rockers who like incite riots and shit by the power of their music. It's a little thick. Imagine if Kanye started telling people to go out and burn down Apple stores.

And you're supposed to be right there next to the cyborg Solo mercenary soldier and be just as effective.

I doubt we'll see Friday Night Firefight- a ruleset for combat based on FBI gunfight statistics. Basically, gunfights are messy affairs that miss a lot and the first time you get shot you are almost guaranteed to drop out of the fight due to shock, and you *probably* will die or end up in the hospital for a very long time. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being World of Warcraft Tank and 10 being... I dunno playing Dark Souls blindfolded, FNFF is around an 8 or 9.

Cyberpunk 2020 was about attitude more than surroundings. It was totally acceptable to be a cutting edge cyborg warrior and have "bag lady chique" as your personal style. It's why namedropping Tarantino is actually probably a good thing. His characters are absolutely punk in their attitudes and nihilistic outlook on the world.

That reminds me. CP2020 also had a lifepath generator where you generated enemies, lovers, jilted lovers, family members, and a general past that you were expected to spend a lot of time interacting with. If CDPR keeps that, it'll be interesting as it could be the start of dozens of different sub-plots and side quests that other characters may never see.

25. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Jun 11, 2018, 12:31 Flatline

JoeNapalm wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 12:27:
Eh, I think it looks good, but I can see the "no sun" argument.

The setting for CP2020 was Night City, and was described as raining all the time, the sun never shines, the last bird died in 2008, and you lived on soy kibble...at least as long as you lived, which wasn't very in a violent, uncaring world where the only Gods were Corporations.

So, yeah, it should be pretty bloody dark.

I'm sure it's going to be dark. They pegged that with the original teaser 5 years ago. But if they import the weather system from Witcher 3 it'll f*cking rain constantly be dark enough.

I don't mind some sunlight as a counter-example though. People cribbing Shadowrun as an example are also forgetting the default setting for that game is Seattle, which is known for it's gloomy weather. Especially during the winter.

We'll see eventually.

24. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer Jun 11, 2018, 12:28 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 12:09:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 12:00:
I'm getting a Cyberpunk gta feeling. It would be great since CD Projekt RED is far more capable than rockstar.

On the plus side, it would be a huge step above rockstar if they can just give us a version where we aren't forced to play villains. Sadly the first thing that sticks out is being forced to play as a male character. Not only does it reduce RPGness by 50% out of the gate. Some of us don't want to run around for 10+ hours plus looking at some guy's butt. Urk

You can play both genders...

I'm hoping they play a little with transhumanism and make gender something more malleable. Not necessarily in a SJW sort of way but in a "the shit we're doing doesn't even fit on the traditional gender spectrum anymore" way.

Seeing the gal getting ready for a night on the town without... you know... the lower half of her face was promising that way.

I'm on board. I'm trying to moderate my own hype train but yeah, I'm on board at this point.

News Comments > ZIGGURAT Giveaway
3. Re: ZIGGURAT Giveaway Jun 11, 2018, 12:23 Flatline

Prez wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 10:10:
Ziggurat is an insanely fun rogue-like with cool and crazy enemies.

Thirded. It's a lot of fun. Very difficult though.

News Comments > Anthem Trailer and Details
19. Re: Anthem Trailer and Details Jun 10, 2018, 20:25 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on Jun 9, 2018, 16:41:
Destiny clone

meh

So was I the only person who watched that and for a long time was like "Oh yay let's go blow up some tribal level people in Wicker armor with our fucking power armor"? I mean sure there's a giant in the last 5 seconds of the trailer but a lot of it strikes me as kind of... colonial.

I mean, I get that humanity is on the ropes and shit but... yeah. Nice Vietnam vibe there.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 8, 2018, 14:05 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jun 8, 2018, 12:20:
What a shame. Unlike a lot of these asshole celeb chefs, he seemed like a genuinely good guy. Story says suicide was the cause. Did he suffer from depression? RIP.

Yup. He talked about an earlier bought of suicidal urges after his first wife left him.

3174 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo