Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3001 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow
6. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 22:43 Flatline

They needed to do this a couple weeks ago to feed into the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. 30 bucks or so for the game is not bad and I'm having fun with it.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Patches
6. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 26, 2017, 13:12 Flatline

Picked this up for 17 bucks for GMG black friday. Looking forward to getting into it. Seems like around 15 bucks is a good price point for it.  

News Comments > One Hour Star Citizen Video
34. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 25, 2017, 12:49 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 03:18:
Here's a game for the 1% gamers with $4,000 computers. My potato computer would probably blow up if I went anywhere near that thing.

Yeah I've given up on the idea of being able to ever run this game. My priorities have shifted in the last 5 years and I'm not the type of person to spend a fortune building the kind of computer that can run this smoothly.

I backed for SQ42 and at the rate we're going we'll see that in 5 years probably. One thing these videos have shown me is that Chris Roberts doesn't particularly know what makes games *fun*.

Meh. Oh well.

News Comments > Loot Boxes Under Fire
20. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 12:29 Flatline

So when do we combine loot boxes with the dismantling of Title II ISP regulation/Net Neutrality?

Buy loot boxes from Comcast to enable access for 24-72 hours for FREE to over a dozen premium websites you'd normally pay 5-20 dollars a month for (This is for access alone and does not grant membership to any service).

Just 99 cents per loot box and you're GUARANTEED at least 1 AAA tier access card (Hulu, HBO Go, Netflix, Amazon video all qualify as AAA tier) out of a pack of 5 access cards. And we make the box really sparkly and shiny when it opens so that your brain squirts dopamines when you hit the feeder bar for a food pellet.

My god think of the money.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
14. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 16:29 Flatline

Dacron wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 14:49:
NewMaxx wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 14:47:
Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:08:
I've been meaning to ask. Is this game worth it? 7 bucks for the freemium version and 20 bucks for the standard version are tempting.

I played in the beta and was mostly uninterested due to how far away it was getting from the older games. Later on, within its first year, I checked it out during a free weekend with some friends and I actually really liked it. Picked it up during a sale right after that with no hesitation. Was a good choice - I have about 240 hours in it now. It's not for everyone but I would strongly suggest checking it out over a free weekend before deciding (we just had one).

I found the same (and am an old school R6er). The beta was meh, left me uninterested. After this weekend I ended up buying it.

Good to know!

Apparently I missed the sale. I'll pick it up next time it goes on sale. I imagine something will happen for black friday.

News Comments > Free Brütal Legend
13. Re: Free Brütal Legend Nov 21, 2017, 12:13 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 01:12:
Highlight of the game is the beginning. Teasing you with Children of the Grave bass line for a good while and then you pick up the axe, and the the song kicks in. Perfect direction, something you don't see often in gaming, the build up and timing.

Yeah the Demo really sets up high expectations. Actually, the whole build-up to the first boss sets up high expectations and then the game rushes once past that.

Still, Tim Curry as Doviculous is awesome.

News Comments > Free Brütal Legend
12. Re: Free Brütal Legend Nov 21, 2017, 12:10 Flatline

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 23:31:
The game is HEAVILY front-loaded on awesome, and the story gets less "fun" and all serious as it goes on. I played through to the end, and it's alright. But if you've never, ever played it, play at least the first couple hours, it's a riot.

Apparently the game is only about 50% as long as they originally wanted it to be. If it had sold better it would have had a sequel I guess.

I enjoyed the f*ck out of it for what it was. The RTS game sucked. It was admitted that the whole strategy was to spawn a throng of dudes and go attack with the throng.

However, the art design, voice acting, soundtrack, driving, and beat-em-up portion of the game was absolutely top notch.

The game I think plays better with a controller than keyboard & mouse. I've owned the game on PC for a while and it just never played quite as well with K&M.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
9. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 12:08 Flatline

I've been meaning to ask. Is this game worth it? 7 bucks for the freemium version and 20 bucks for the standard version are tempting.  

8. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 12:05 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:20:
W/out friendly fire how can the griefers grief.

Stand in spawn point choke points. It's why in Left 4 Dead you could pass through your teammates.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2017, 12:58 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 11:56:
And no Manson didn't believe in Christ, he believed he was the Messiah - just like every other whackjob cult leader. And no he's not in hell because there is no hell anymore than there's any other post-life fantasy.

Still you have to hand it to him. I mean convincing people you're divine and getting them to go out and murder because you say so is impressive. It's like suicide bombers. Convincing someone to strap a bomb to themselves and blow people up is amazing when you consider the vast majority of us can't even convince our friends to help us move.
Wry

I don't believe Manson believed he was divine. Maybe at some point during LSD trips he'd believe it.

Manson's "upbringing" in jail included learning how to assemble women to prostitute from pimps, Dale Carnegie's How to Make Friends and Influence People, and believe it or not Scientology. He built his messiah gig up explicitly to leech off of other people, at first women, and then men. He bargained sex with girls he could control for food, money, and ultimately, access to the recording industry where he felt he was destined to be bigger than the Beatles. And he managed to do all that at a time, and in a scene, where easy access to sex and drugs could get you into the circles of fairly powerful people. If you want an *excellent* look at Manson, and how he fit into LA and Hollywood's 60's culture, go check out the podcast You Must Remember This. Karina Longworth did a 6 or 7 part series on Manson and it is really, really excellent. I'd almost consider it one of the definitive examinations of Manson.

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
13. Re: Sunday Interviews Nov 20, 2017, 12:22 Flatline

Xero wrote on Nov 19, 2017, 17:45:
Typically speaking, if you are making AAA games, you are including micro transactions, DLC's up the wazoo, or charging an arm and a leg for the DLC's. So far, CDPR hasn't done that, but they don't have a huge catalog of titles under their belt either. You can take that both ways. Surprised that with the lack of titles that they don't try to grab more easy money where they can, or surprised that with lack of titles they choose to give more back to the gamers/fans while not filling up their own wallets.

CDPR is part of CD Projekt who owns and runs GOG.com.

While CDPR only has a handful of titles to their name, money probably isn't much of an issue for the larger company.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 13:00 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 12:00:
Morris, of Embark, says this lack of research is partly out of necessity. “It’s much easier to measure the things that you have now that might go away,” says Morris. “It’s much harder to measure the things that will be created through innovation.” Cars might have killed the buggy whip industry, but they created jobs in the hospitality industry, the oil and gas industry ... and trucking.

And that's true in reverse. All the ancillary jobs related to trucking will be lost as well. So you're talking several million people here. If the government isn't doing anything about it that's the sort of thing that foments massive crimes precipitating bloody revolution. Especially if neural nets/AI start replacing white collar workers in the same way as expected. Then you start looking at 10s to 100s of millions out of work, billions around the planet. And no one has any money to spend on the products and services that they've been replaced in and the economy collapses to boot. So I don't see how that can possibly work without the invention of matter replicators like in Star Trek. It doesn't seem to me that any of the companies that want to implement these sorts of automation are taking any of this into account. That somehow countries full of unemployed people will somehow automagically keep the various economies going.

Yeah I'm not sure the traditional capitalist economy is going to survive the automation revolution. Either billions of people are going to have to die off when all the work goes away (and we'll have World War 3 before that happens) or we'll have to figure out a new economic model where labor is a post-scarcity commodity.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 17, 2017, 12:58 Flatline

American Truck Simulator is about to get a lot more boring.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled
50. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Real-Money Transactions Disabled Nov 17, 2017, 12:53 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 04:16:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:59:
Kxmode wrote on Nov 17, 2017, 01:29:
I'm pretty sure if EA doesn't handle their stuff Disney is going to move their Star Wars IP elsewhere.
They can try. Who else is going to make them the money that EA does? Activision, maybe, but that's a big maybe. Ubi? Please.

CD Projekt Red. Any company that can employ over a 1,000 people to work on a single game (Witcher 3) and can publish it themselves, can handle a franchise like Star Wars.

A single player Star Wars RPG that makes Knights of the Old Republic look like garbage and has like 80 hours of game play?

OMG YES PLEASE

News Comments > Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges
24. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 15:38 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 14:33:
Flatline wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 13:02:

Most of the business world TBH. Windows 10 in the enterprise is a nightmare. It's *still* not HIPAA compliant and probably never will be at this rate. When Windows 7 EOLs there's going to be a crisis in the healthcare industry in America. Either that or our HIPAA laws will get gutted.

I'm curious how it's not HIPAA compliant? I work for BCBS and we'll be rolling out W10 next year. I'm not involved with the planning, but will be involved with the implementation.

Things might have progressed but I have at least one friend who is fairly high up in IT at an internationally recognized medical facility and all the crap with Cortana and the telemetrics and stuff is difficult to completely lock down. Some of it you can do at the enterprise level.

The problem is that Microsoft turns stuff like that back on during windows patches so you basically need a team to evaluate if Microsoft is going to break the sh*t out of your network.

From a quick google it looks like Microsoft *finally* got HIPAA compliant best-practices organized in April of this year. But there's no guarantee that a future Microsoft update won't f*ck everything up again. And if a future update *does* screw everything up, I think if memory serves you're on a 12-18 month window before Microsoft *forces* you to update. If things haven't been fixed by that point, you're SOL and going to be updated anyway.

http://www.hipaaone.com/whitepaper-hipaa-microsoft-windows/

News Comments > Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges
11. Re: Steam Win10 Usage Dips; Win7 Surges Nov 6, 2017, 13:02 Flatline

Angrius Maximis wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 12:49:
who the hell still uses windows 7?

Most of the business world TBH. Windows 10 in the enterprise is a nightmare. It's *still* not HIPAA compliant and probably never will be at this rate. When Windows 7 EOLs there's going to be a crisis in the healthcare industry in America. Either that or our HIPAA laws will get gutted.

That isn't even getting into the enforced upgrade tracks that you *have* to take with Win10. Their enforced update track is kind of insane and basically insists that you devote large amounts of resources in an enterprise environment to compatibility verification.

Their actual stance on the compatibility issues this will introduce into businesses is that the pain will encourage faster adoption and that wide-scale breakage of business-centric programs should just be expected and planned for.

News Comments > 3D Realms Build Game Beta Testing
21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 6, 2017, 11:54 Flatline

panbient wrote on Nov 6, 2017, 08:49:
Build / Doom engines were NOT easy to use. Sure it was simple to replace a sprite, but that's about as much of a 'mod' as applying flame stickers to the side of your car and telling yourself it'll move faster. Making a new map in those engines was rough, especially if you found yourself attempting to make legitimate 3d space.

Quake 1,2 (same with Unreal / UT / Lithtech) were the next step and the first really substantive 3d engines available to the public. Still rudimentary but at least you could place player accessible geometry over existing geometry for true 3d.

I remember Unreal editor being a huge step up because it used negative space for it's level design and how quake & doom if you had accidentally left even a minuscule part of your level open to the "outside" you'd crash. Unreal was all "Since you carve space out of an infinite block that doesn't matter any more!" and there was much rejoicing.

News Comments > Morning Patches
1. Re: Morning Patches Oct 31, 2017, 20:21 Flatline

Holy crap people are *still* modding Redemption? Damn...  

News Comments > Morning Interviews
14. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 25, 2017, 16:58 Flatline

NKD wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 14:24:
Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 12:09:
NKD wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:30:
"How Zoe Quinn capitalized on Gamergate and lived to take in Patreon bux."

That would more be that Canadian professor Jordan whatever. All he does is whine about identity politics, and makes an estimated $60,000 per month on Patreon to do so. $60,000 per month! I'll whine about whatever people want me to for $60,000 per month.

I think that guy came on the scene long after Gamergate died down. I hadn't heard of him until last year. He's more of an invention of the Trumpian green frog brigade. Makes sense, considering the Trumpsters are the right wing version of SJWs, with all the trimmings. Patreon VictimBux, identity politics, claiming that every accurate depiction of them is a strawman, etc.

That's the worst thing to come out of identity politics: The right discovering that it works better for them than it does for the left. They can make more money, and actually get people elected. There's never going to be some absurd SJW lefty who is going to pull a Trump and get elected despite being completely fucking incompetent. The strategy only works on the right because of the combination of identity politics AND majority voting power.

Sociologists recently have shown that conservative politics is almost directly related to fear and anger levels. Like liberals who are frightened swing right, conservatives who have their fear dissipated swing left in experiments. SJW kind of plays right into that.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2017, 16:49 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 11:17:
Bill Borre wrote on Oct 25, 2017, 10:59:
I thought Kinect was interesting technology. I could see how online gamers could use it to record their own combat animations to upload them to fighting games or mmos if games were ever developed to allow such a degree of user customization.

I wonder if the technology really doesn't have broad appeal or it just wasn't marketed adequately?

It didn't have broad appeal in that market in that usage in that manner. Lots of people enjoyed the Kinect on the 360, I know I did. Not frequently, but it made for some really entertaining party games. I still have photos somewhere from when I had it running in the corner of a Halloween party, and there were more than a few Saturday nights that a group of 4 or 6 would end up at my place around 1 am and do the dance competition games.

But Microsoft tried to force it before it was ready, which people resented (the whole launch was an issue, and Kinect was a symptom of the issue, but it got a lot of ill will.) There weren't really any hardcore games for it, and it's hard to imagine ones that could have been made. It was more for casual and party games.

The tech lives on. Microsoft is using it in Hololens and any other VR type headsets they're working on. Apple bought the company that made it and is doing some really cool AR stuff - measuring your room with your phone's camera is pretty badass. We'll see successor technology everywhere within 5 years. But I don't think we'll see a Kinect as it was. I can imagine it being part of VR setups, though.

Offloading the Kinect's calculations onto the 360 was a big mistake and was the death knell for it. They needed to keep the on board processor on it to eliminate the lag and the accuracy issues. The prototypes rocked, the commercial version sucked.

I hacked my 360 Kinect to face track on my PC and used it as a head-tracker alternative. It worked pretty well for that in Elite but was such a pain in the ass that I finally took it apart when I moved and didn't bother with setting it back up.

3001 Comments. 151 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo