Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2890 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Jun 5, 2017, 13:10 Flatline

I never got watching esports.

I'm not a huge sports fan anyway so maybe that's me, but watching someone play video games was always about as fun as watching paint dry.

But... yay?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Previews
8. Re: Morning Previews Jun 3, 2017, 19:23 Flatline

Asmodai wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 19:28:
Flatline wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 16:17:
The real test will be the PvP and the emerging meta out of that.

I kinda despise that "meta" is the new term for "favourite of the month" or min/max. Nothing ruins a game faster than a guaranteed formula for success, eg. the constant changes of MWO which makes default mecha configurations completely useless because of the current "meta". Many mechs that just flat out suck in their default config in a twitch shooter were quite effective on the table top if used to the strengths.

Eh... for me the term got started in Magic The Gathering, and it's a valid term to discuss the thought processes that are going around the community and how additions change the tactics and strategies used. I use it for the X-Wing minis game too because each new wave changes things pretty significantly.

In this case there's reference to water being obscenely overpowered, and ballistics, especially the AC/5 and AC/10, being better than energy mainstays like the PPC. And part of the problem with that evaluation is that the AI isn't particularly good, and we need to play against other humans to see if energy weapons are still effective but just need an adjustment to their tactics.

Right now people are complaining that the classic firing cycles of TT mechs aren't effective or are overheating or whatnot. And part of that is porting the TT mindset over to the game. Already people are starting to adapt to the initiative system and using it to develop separate strategies for recon mechs. That will accelerate as people play each other I think.

In those cases, especially the initiative system, I have no problem referring to such discussions as the metagame.

6. Re: Morning Previews Jun 2, 2017, 16:19 Flatline

Peter M. Smith wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 12:38:
VaranDragon wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 11:21:
Im very excited for this. An immersive mercenary single player campaign, and a well fleshed out multiplayer component based on the Battletech universe and rulebook?

What on Terra could be better?

As long as you understand that "based on" is not a 1:1 translation of the rules. Still a fun game, even though it's a little skirmish game right now.

Off the top of my head, weapons are being tweaked/modified a lot, the initiative system is *very* different (but people are starting to figure out how to game it properly), and the heat system is abbreviated right now.

Knockdown is weird, and there's a bracing action that you use periodically if you're getting unstable.

5. Re: Morning Previews Jun 2, 2017, 16:17 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 15:01:
Currently there's some balance issues. LRMs are like cheating.. get a scout with sensor lock and two LRM15 boats and you can just salvage exploit knockdown all these mechs. PPCs are horribly useless and lasers are just there.

Hence why this beta is happening, to fix the problems.

AC's all things being equal are brutal from their damage scaling (All weapons had their damage increased x5 but the AC's got a boost on top of that. AC/10 right now is basically a sniper rifle). Standing in water is basically goddamn broken from a heat perspective, and the general consensus is that ballistics rule in maps with no water, and in water you can alpha strike basically every turn with energy based weapons.

The real test will be the PvP and the emerging meta out of that.

The beta is promising right now but it clearly needs work. And I'm okay with that. It's a real beta instead of these glorified demo betas that are the norm now.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance May 31, 2017, 13:22 Flatline

Cutter wrote on May 31, 2017, 10:55:
Why not just ban carry-ons and be done with it. Then you don't have to pretend the useless TSA is actually required for anything anymore.

Wannacry theory? How about maybe they were just dicks. Not everything is related to terrorism and geopolitics. There's still plenty of regular old fashioned crime and insanity around. Never forget what Alfred said.......some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. Lord knows there are times I'd like to see it burn myself.

If it wasn't for money there wouldn't have been a ransom. It would have been trivial to drop a virus that just destroyed or encrypted everything and then dropped NelsonLaugh.jpg on your screen.

News Comments > More on Far Cry 5
26. Re: More on Far Cry 5 May 27, 2017, 21:14 Flatline

DangerDog wrote on May 27, 2017, 11:30:
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help. - Ronald Reagan

If the government is so inherently evil why did Reagan work so hard to become president? I mean, the dude committed flat out treason with the Iran/Contra thing he wanted the job so bad.

News Comments > More on Far Cry 5
11. Re: More on Far Cry 5 May 26, 2017, 23:48 Flatline

Day 1 mod: MAGA hats and battle chatter of "TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!"  

News Comments > Next Dragon Age Discussion
14. Re: Next Dragon Age Discussion May 22, 2017, 23:34 Flatline

For a moment there I thought the next DA game was really going to be called Dragon Age: Discussion.

And having thought that, it made complete sense for a bioware game.

Just have Quentin Tarantino write the dialogue or something.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 20:27 Flatline

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 20:13:
Prez wrote on May 17, 2017, 18:13:
...Yes, it's bad to have a monopoly, which Steam outright is....

Hmm. Is it though? I mean, with GOG and Origin (and I guess Uplay, but that sucks) there are places where people can buy games on a digital download service without ever touching Steam. Sure, Steam is currently holding a huge percentage of that particular market share, but there ARE alternatives.

Legally, a monopoly is near domination, not being the only option. Steam, by any view, is near domination.

The issue is mainly how the monopoly reacts to competition. Valve isn't behaving in the traditional monopoly sense. It didn't try to push UPlay out, or Origin, or subsidize competing games as loss leaders to compete with big titles that come out of EA & Ubisoft. It could have waged a war on GOG, always undercutting them, demanding exclusivity on the platform, etc, but it's not doing any of that as far as I'm aware.

At the most you could accuse it of a natural monopoly simply because of superior technology/infrastructure and the willingness to invest in the field for years before it became obvious that it was the next big thing. But in theory a competing product could com and eat Steam's lunch. GOG is growing strongly and probably represents a distant #2 threat, maybe not in sales, but in offering legitimate competition that Origin & Uplay don't offer (they may offer AAA games, but the platforms are part of a vertical monopoly of digital distribution and really will never see much of an expansion beyond their respective publishers and thus probably shouldn't be considered competition.)

News Comments > Op Ed
33. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 17:45 Flatline

Prez wrote on May 17, 2017, 00:10:
I agree that Valve is not your friend, but not healthy for gaming? Gaming on the PC is stronger than ever due in large part to Steam.

I completely stopped pirating games right around when Steam became a big thing. I do a lot of business through GOG and other platforms now, but I don't know anyone who pirates any more. Part of that is being an adult with a paying job, but part of that is that the prices are generally lower/in line with what I am willing to part with if I wait for a sale, and the convenience is there.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
21. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 17:09 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2017, 16:13:
Live action vs. CG, any thoughts? I'd prefer live action myself, with CG effects, a la GoT, but that W3 trailer is so good. Probably too expensive to do a multi episode show this way though.

This could be GoT good, or Dungeons & Dragons bad. Or if they go the CG route, it could be uncanny valley bad, like Beowulf.

To be fair, Beowulf is 10 years old.

And to be even more fair, some of the big CG set pieces for GoT *suck*.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Morning Metaverse May 17, 2017, 15:53 Flatline

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 14:31:
In general, I find having an author involved is a very bad thing for any other medium.

When you think of a great book translated well elsewhere, the top pick would likely be Game of Thrones. Except George RR Martin was a TV writer for three and a half decades, so he understands TV. Otherwise? Movies and television are often better when the author is removed.

A TV series is too big for one person to write. So there will be a stable of writers and the author will probably be consulted or have a production credit.

I'm cautiously optimistic. They obviously want a GoT contender and I think they have it in Geralt. A fantasy setting where you have plenty of T&A and sex, but you also have a very morally ambiguous setting that isn't grimdark like Westeros. You can have all of the intrigue and backstabbing and unsympathetic protagonists and sympathetic antagonists without the over the top grimness of Game of Thrones.

It's a good mix. Plus you have all of the twists on the classic fairy tales that you can weave into the story. As long as it doesn't devolve into monster hunter of the week I think it has legs.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Announced
4. Re: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Announced May 16, 2017, 11:12 Flatline

From reading the splash page it appears to be a strategy game as opposed to a space combat game. It talks about building fleets and the smallest ship it mentions is a corvette.

Might be interesting.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue May 15, 2017, 11:45 Flatline

That list of gaming problems kids don't encounter these days is woefully inadequate.

There's no experimenting with boot disk configs, EMS configuration, f*cking with soundblaster configs, and the arcane bootup process required to run your favorite game.

There's no memory of listening to your modem attempt to connect at 56k, then renegotiate at 36.6, then 28.8, and finally settle in at like 9600 baud, where you resign yourself to never, ever being able to see anything.

AOL, Prodigy, and Compuserve charged by the hour. And there was a time when AoHell let you spoof the free support sections while roaming around for free.

Null modem cables for 1-to-1 multiplayer.

Back in the day when hubs were 250 dollars a port, and bridges were a thing in networks because switches were too expensive.

News Comments > Alan Wake Sunset Sale
26. Re: Alan Wake Sunset Sale May 13, 2017, 19:52 Flatline

jimeh wrote on May 13, 2017, 16:50:
word of warning: I picked this up and its got a very confusing 3rd person perspective where the player is off to the side which makes it sort of hard to walk in a straight line or know where you're looking.

Never had that problem either.

It is absolutely a controller game. Mouse and keyboard weren't as fluid as a controller. I played with both.

The game was fun. Weird but fun. And it was written with a sequel in mind but it never materialized.

I enjoyed it. I know a lot of people didn't.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization May 12, 2017, 15:46 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on May 12, 2017, 12:19:
Beamer wrote on May 12, 2017, 11:51:
RedEye9 wrote on May 12, 2017, 11:35:
Or you know, get a real camera.

Why? Cellphone cameras are better than any point and shoot, which they've basically stopped making. So you'd need a $750+ dslr that weighs a ton, requires a lens, requires significant time to learn to use, requires planning, and is a hassle to transfer photos.

Or you can use a device always on you, extremely quick to go from stored away to taking photos, can instantly share wherever you want, and takes photos of almost indistinguishable quality as that dslr in most daily circumstances (e.g., taking a photo of that weird thing you saw and sharing it on social media.)

Outside of professionals, I don't know a single person using a real camera any longer. The inconvenience of them is no longer worth the increased quality in nearly all casual circumstances.
Stopped making? There are literally 100's of better camera's in the $50-350 price range.
Weight is not an issue and transfer hassle is as difficult as connecting an included usb cable, some even have built in wifi.
Simply put, If you want a decent photo your cell phone is not going to take it.

Actually I have several point & shoot & a couple higher quality super zoom cameras and over and over again, I come back to the cell phone. I'm just not as happy with the cameras as I am with the phone. Not to mention my phone has maybe a 3 second delay tops between pulling it out and taking the picture. With any of my cameras it's more like 30 seconds to a minute unless I leave my camera on and have it dangling from my wrist.

The best camera is the one you use. It doesn't matter if you have the best camera in the world if it doesn't take the picture.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
40. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 12:30 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on May 11, 2017, 12:10:
It could be a long time I think....seeing as I quit DA:I out of pure boredom after one week of trying to find a way to stay interested.

I keep intending to go back to DA:I but I can't bring myself to. It started out boring as dirt, got actually reasonably interesting and fun once the inquisition started, and then kind of petered out after a while.

News Comments > Mass Effect Series on Hold?
39. Re: Mass Effect Series on Hold? May 11, 2017, 12:27 Flatline

NKD wrote on May 11, 2017, 10:51:
I mean I've got more hours in it than I probably have in all the previous ME games combined...

I'm just going to point out the game has been out 51 days and you've spent 24.5 days *in game*.

Which means basically you've spent as much time in ME:A as spent sleeping, eating, working, and the rest of your life.

Like... do you work? Because you're spending on average around 11 hours day playing ME:A, and unless you only sleep like 3 hours a night I don't see how you could sleep, eat, and work in the 13 hours a day on average you have left over.

Either that or you just hit pause when you walk away from the game and like those 8 hours of sleep are time spent "in game".

News Comments > New BioWare IP Delayed
9. Re: New BioWare IP Delayed May 10, 2017, 11:38 Flatline

Slick wrote on May 10, 2017, 04:02:
How the fuck is May 10th the end of fiscal year 2017!?

I swear, these fucking bean counters are afraid of math. USE NEGATIVE NUMBERS FOR FUCKS SAKE! putting a number in parentheses to avoid scary negative numbers is just as stupid as omitting the 13th floor in buildings.

Fiscal years and calendar years are not even remotely related. There are business purposes to move your fiscal year around. Probably having to do with outstanding debt and when interest rates hit or whatever.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2017, 10:49 Flatline

Creston wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:43:
It was stupid of them to focus on 4K anyway. Like 12% of the market has a 4K TV. They should have gone with "look at how freaking AMAZING games look on the PS4 pro/Scorpio at 1080P" and just turned on every single possible bell and whistle while running at a rock solid 60fps.

Nope. Instead make the games run shitty at upscaled 4K. Brilliant.

I totally agree, but then again the 4k market has the disposable income and is vocal enough about it to gain attention.

I also suspect that up-scaling to 4k is probably cheaper from a design point of view than cranking up all the bells and whistles.

2890 Comments. 145 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo