Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2750 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition Announced
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: Gold Edition Announced Jul 7, 2016, 17:54 Flatline

Nucas wrote on Jul 6, 2016, 21:58:
i've been a scrolls lover since morrowind, like many i'm sure, and i savored the chance to play this game for the same reason as you; but ultimately i found it large, dull and empty. the gameplay was utterly snooze inducing. there were also some contradictions with established lore that really drove home that this was a team of outsiders writing the game to me.

The lore I didn't care so much about.

Boring-ass quests, dull gameplay, bland world design (for TES games this is blasphemy) I just couldn't get into it. I was told that past the starting areas it got better but still... I never could get past the starting areas. Instead of feeling free I felt overwhelmed and bored at the same time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games
21. Re: Free GOG.com Copies of Some Steam Games Jun 1, 2016, 17:50 Flatline

Ludomancer wrote on Jun 1, 2016, 17:22:
sometime in the last 3 years valve became the unofficial owner of gog. they were really successful in keeping it lowdown. gog should just be considered drm-free steam now. because most people have steam already, the software (steam) tracks (and takes action) with your gog libraries. its bad. i hope posting this lets some more independent, more free individuals verify it publicly.

Bull. Shit.

News Comments > Tom Clancy's The Division Conflict Update
13. Re: Tom Clancy's The Division Conflict Update May 25, 2016, 13:06 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on May 24, 2016, 22:36:
Darks wrote on May 24, 2016, 22:31:
In the end this game is still shit.

The game and game mechanics of the game are just fine, but they really painted themselves in a corner story wise.
The Story is quite believable until you get to the Last Man Battalion which is some sorta army of average citizens, except the have APC's Humvee's, beyond high end military hardware (talking Bruce Wayne sorta shit) and no government agencies thought they might look into this group?

Imagine Gotham City in the last Batman movie (cut off from the outside world) and somehow in the city of New York there is a private army that has (again) Bruce Wayne level of tech just showing up out of the blue.

LMB was hired and financed apparently by most of the wall street firms in order to protect... I'm not sure what actually. The firms I guess. That part is wonky.

Then the leader of LMB decided that he was in a good position to restore order to the city and started conquering it.

It's not a great plot line but it's not the "out of the blue" story you are saying. You have to find echoes and audio files though to get the story though.

News Comments > People Can Fly FPS Plans
13. Re: People Can Fly FPS Plans May 15, 2016, 11:51 Flatline

HoSpanky wrote on May 14, 2016, 14:08:
I thought Bulletstork was ridiculously over the top fun. Every level had something wild happen, and the dialogue was stupid and silly and cracked me up.

Bulletstorm suffered from a really weird uneven tone. Borderlands 2 suffered from it too where you'd have like mostly goofy shit punctuated by really, really dark shit that was very not funny. It was such a stark juxtaposition that it usually managed to pull me out of the moment.

Gampelay wise it was fun. Even awesome at first. But a lot of the trick kills got old after a while.

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced
43. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 12, 2016, 15:19 Flatline

Sacrifice wrote on May 11, 2016, 15:31:
ItBurn wrote on May 11, 2016, 14:46:
Only one unit per tile of V was a complete deal breaker for me. Capturing a city was about bringing a constant stream of single units rather than attacking it with large forces. It wasn't fun. It looks like they improved that a bit, but I don't feel like it'll be enough.

To each his own, but I prefer the one unit per tile mechanic. Made for more strategic maneuvering and easier to manage.

It made cities particularly strong against sieges. Your siege weaponry didn't last long against a properly upgraded city since the attack range of the city and the siege weaponry was about the same and sieges took a really, really, really long time. Which I get, and appreciate on some level, but it needed some tweaking.

Eventually against the AI you'd just fortify a really defensive unit outside their gates first, let it get the living crap beat out of it while you moved your siege engines in to batter the city. Stupid solution for what I consider a design flaw.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 6: Apex Beta
15. Re: Forza Motorsport 6: Apex Beta May 5, 2016, 15:58 Flatline

Avus wrote on May 5, 2016, 12:18:
I will not waste time on a racing game that has no support steering wheel. I am not even talking about mod support or other features... Play a racing game on my Playseat with a gamepad is ultra retard.

I will paid $10-20USD if MS made this with a proper wheel support (using DirectInput not XInput) and available in Steam (plus other digital distribute that others care). But not this half-a$$ sh!t even if it is free...

How do you launch a racing game with zero wheel support?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue May 5, 2016, 12:11 Flatline

sauron wrote on May 5, 2016, 11:28:
A new Biggest Loser study shows why it's so hard to lose weight and keep it off

The NY Times also has a great article on that scientific study, which has been published in the journal Obesity . The study, and the commentary in the Times article, are really insightful:

NY Times Biggest Loser article

Link to full study, and summary

Note that the Times only allows 10 free articles a month, and the original study may need a subscription but the summary page is free.

A physicist in one of the forums I hung out on had issues with the study format itself. It used a particularly high-aiming equation to estimate resting metabolic rate, whereas the standard equation that is considered most accurate was 50% closer to actual measured metabolic rates. The regression curve that they used was possibly overly simplistic, and he also mentioned from his reading of the study that it appears that if metabolic "damage" can occur, it seems to be related not to the rate of caloric expenditure that your lean mass goes through, but moreso there's a reduction of calories based on fat mass.

Takeaway: The study has some issues that might skew the data towards the more dramatic end of results, and if you lose weight, do yourself a favor and bulk up a little and put some muscle on.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans
3. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans Apr 28, 2016, 12:22 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 10:59:
Anyone checked this out? Is it any good?

I bought it for like 20 bucks a while back but was totally underwhelmed by it. Not bad ideas but insanely boring. I've heard it gets better after the beginning areas but I burned out quickly and never went back.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Week
61. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 19, 2016, 18:52 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 19, 2016, 15:02:
Not to mention the huge amount of money that will come when S42 is released.

Not to particularly pick a fight or anything, but now that S42 is an episodic single player game, do you think it's going to rake cash in like never before? I mean, consoles are out, and single player games are not as hot as hot multiplayer games.

Plus, how many backers do they have now? Those are all people who are going to get the game and not actually have to pay for it. They've already front-loaded their revenue from S42 and burned through it a long time ago. You'd have to probably approach 10 million players worldwide to see boatloads of cash come in. And single player space combat sims that don't touch consoles are a niche of a niche of a niche. I would be surprised if 25% of the player base that would be down to play this & have the machine to play it still is out in the market.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 18, 2016, 18:05 Flatline

Meh. I am mainly refreshed and amused by the breeze that is created by Kotaku spinning so the story like a fan.

"Hey... look... we jumped the gun and got stuff wrong, but if we investigated or exercised any kind of maturity the terrorists GG'ers *win*. And now let's move on from that to all this other stuff that really the story *should* be about, because it's uncomfortable to be caught posting pure conjecture. I mean, we'll still do it when it fits our narrative, but it sucks being called on it."

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 12, 2016, 19:16 Flatline

The shit battery life does it in for me.

My Suunto Ambit3 Peak runs for 200 hours with GPS polling at 60 second intervals. Without GPS it runs for weeks.

A daily charge for a f*cking watch is stupid.

News Comments > The Division Incursion Details
13. Re: The Division Incursion Details Apr 7, 2016, 13:13 Flatline

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 20:55:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 16:34:
Gotcha my bad. Just hit 30 and picking up purples like crazy and haven't even touched high end crafting (let alone anything gold).

But then again I've deconstructed everything since the start on my main character and done very little crafting so have a nice supply built up.
Convert all your lower materials up to gold before the patch hits. Supposedly there may be some other info forthcoming that will make this whole thing less of a nerf... but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Ubisoft just announced that the HE drop rate for named 30+ NPCs is set to 100%. Division tech drops in the DZ are upped to 40% too. A few other things as well but it sounds like they're trying to severely de-emphasize crafting at the end game.

News Comments > The Division Incursion Details
6. Re: The Division Incursion Details Apr 6, 2016, 13:35 Flatline

Finally hit level 30 or so. Took 30 hours roughly to finish.

My main complaint is that the XP distribution on the way up to 30 is wonky. I hit a section where I kind of had to grind for about a level or two, and the rest of the game I blew past the level requirements so fast that the blueprint rewards for missions were usually far enough under whatever I was using at the time that it became frustrating. Once in a great while I'll be able to make something that improves my gear significantly.

Still, I've gotten 30 hours out of it. Not too shabby at all.

News Comments > Evolution Studios Closes
3. Re: Evolution Studios Closes Mar 23, 2016, 13:26 Flatline

So does that mean WRC will go to potentially a better developer?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2016, 12:29 Flatline

If anyone wants to team up I'm Flatline42

Sadly I don't play as much as I'd like. I just hit 15 or so in the main game.

13 was actually kind of a pain in the ass, and the pacing in the single player game could be better. There's like a 5 level gap between one main story mission and the next, and that's a long ass side mission & encounter grind.

As far as PVP, from what I understand the main problem is that the risk vs reward is imbalanced for going rogue. And that's nothing that can't get tweaked.

I'm enjoying it. Moment to moment combat is fun and I have already put 10 hours in and am like 40% done with the main story. Even as a casual player I'm enjoying myself. Assuming they keep pushing out quality expansions this could end up being played for a long time.

News Comments > X-COM Creator Gollop Teases Tactical Combat Gamez
9. Re: X-COM Creator Gallop Teases Tactical Combat Game Mar 18, 2016, 14:00 Flatline

Julian Gollop?

Is that why the call it a Gollop Chamber in the game?

News Comments > The Witcher III GDC GotY
16. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 18:56 Flatline

Tachikoma wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 17:36:
Nucas wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 14:22:
the video game equivalent of oscar bait.

Bingo. I knew yupsters will lap it up the moment I read the synopsis.

What made me giggle was that it got an award for "innovation". As if we didn`t have to wade through piles of similar games back in the CD-ROM era.

Her Story was interesting, and I don't regret "playing" it at all. But it is essentially google the game if google only returned six results at a time.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 11, 2016, 17:04 Flatline

walrus1 wrote on Mar 11, 2016, 16:32:
E3 died a long long time ago.

Back in the day it was a riot. I remember when the original America's Army game came out and they had a shoothouse with CO2-powered M4 replicas for weapons.

I still have that polaroid somewhere.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2016, 19:51 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:58:
That's why I quit IT, there's no future in it here. Food, clothing, shelter, the 3 main staples people will always need. Find work in one of those fields. Most of my family are tradesmen, they make great money and never lack for work.

Same with having a family. You're nuts to have one. At the very least keep it to 1 kid. The future is just too uncertain in the first world anymore.

And I agree we're going to see massive moves in robotics replacing workers all around.

Get some land. Learn to be self-sufficient. Re-learn lost skills.

Will Bonsall's Essential Guide to Radical, Self-Reliant Gardening: Innovative Techniques for Growing Vegetables, Grains, and Perennial Food Crops with Minimal Fossil Fuel and Animal Inputs

Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Time-Honored Ways are the Best - Over 700 Recipes Show You Why

I still have a goodly amount of family that live out in the wilds who hunt - that's next on my list to learn to do - and produce their own food. They have a few acres, virtually no overhead, no debt, and lead simple lives. That's how to live.

Oh. A prepper.

And yet, suddenly, 100% of the shit Cutter spews makes perfect sense now.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2016, 19:50 Flatline

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 14:47:
Congress to former Disney IT worker "Sorry, son, I can't hear you over all these hundred dollar bills stuffed in my ears by your boss."

Exactly...

"So how much did you contribute to my reelection campaign? Oh nothing? You're sure to see dividends on that investment any day now."

2750 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo