Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2741 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Apr 18, 2016, 18:05 Flatline

Meh. I am mainly refreshed and amused by the breeze that is created by Kotaku spinning so the story like a fan.

"Hey... look... we jumped the gun and got stuff wrong, but if we investigated or exercised any kind of maturity the terrorists GG'ers *win*. And now let's move on from that to all this other stuff that really the story *should* be about, because it's uncomfortable to be caught posting pure conjecture. I mean, we'll still do it when it fits our narrative, but it sucks being called on it."

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 12, 2016, 19:16 Flatline

The shit battery life does it in for me.

My Suunto Ambit3 Peak runs for 200 hours with GPS polling at 60 second intervals. Without GPS it runs for weeks.

A daily charge for a f*cking watch is stupid.

News Comments > The Division Incursion Details
13. Re: The Division Incursion Details Apr 7, 2016, 13:13 Flatline

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 20:55:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 16:34:
Gotcha my bad. Just hit 30 and picking up purples like crazy and haven't even touched high end crafting (let alone anything gold).

But then again I've deconstructed everything since the start on my main character and done very little crafting so have a nice supply built up.
Convert all your lower materials up to gold before the patch hits. Supposedly there may be some other info forthcoming that will make this whole thing less of a nerf... but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Ubisoft just announced that the HE drop rate for named 30+ NPCs is set to 100%. Division tech drops in the DZ are upped to 40% too. A few other things as well but it sounds like they're trying to severely de-emphasize crafting at the end game.

News Comments > The Division Incursion Details
6. Re: The Division Incursion Details Apr 6, 2016, 13:35 Flatline

Finally hit level 30 or so. Took 30 hours roughly to finish.

My main complaint is that the XP distribution on the way up to 30 is wonky. I hit a section where I kind of had to grind for about a level or two, and the rest of the game I blew past the level requirements so fast that the blueprint rewards for missions were usually far enough under whatever I was using at the time that it became frustrating. Once in a great while I'll be able to make something that improves my gear significantly.

Still, I've gotten 30 hours out of it. Not too shabby at all.

News Comments > Evolution Studios Closes
3. Re: Evolution Studios Closes Mar 23, 2016, 13:26 Flatline

So does that mean WRC will go to potentially a better developer?  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 21, 2016, 12:29 Flatline

If anyone wants to team up I'm Flatline42

Sadly I don't play as much as I'd like. I just hit 15 or so in the main game.

13 was actually kind of a pain in the ass, and the pacing in the single player game could be better. There's like a 5 level gap between one main story mission and the next, and that's a long ass side mission & encounter grind.

As far as PVP, from what I understand the main problem is that the risk vs reward is imbalanced for going rogue. And that's nothing that can't get tweaked.

I'm enjoying it. Moment to moment combat is fun and I have already put 10 hours in and am like 40% done with the main story. Even as a casual player I'm enjoying myself. Assuming they keep pushing out quality expansions this could end up being played for a long time.

News Comments > X-COM Creator Gollop Teases Tactical Combat Gamez
9. Re: X-COM Creator Gallop Teases Tactical Combat Game Mar 18, 2016, 14:00 Flatline

Julian Gollop?

Is that why the call it a Gollop Chamber in the game?

News Comments > The Witcher III GDC GotY
16. Re: The Witcher III GDF GotY Mar 17, 2016, 18:56 Flatline

Tachikoma wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 17:36:
Nucas wrote on Mar 17, 2016, 14:22:
the video game equivalent of oscar bait.

Bingo. I knew yupsters will lap it up the moment I read the synopsis.

What made me giggle was that it got an award for "innovation". As if we didn`t have to wade through piles of similar games back in the CD-ROM era.

Her Story was interesting, and I don't regret "playing" it at all. But it is essentially google the game if google only returned six results at a time.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Mar 11, 2016, 17:04 Flatline

walrus1 wrote on Mar 11, 2016, 16:32:
E3 died a long long time ago.

Back in the day it was a riot. I remember when the original America's Army game came out and they had a shoothouse with CO2-powered M4 replicas for weapons.

I still have that polaroid somewhere.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2016, 19:51 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 18:58:
That's why I quit IT, there's no future in it here. Food, clothing, shelter, the 3 main staples people will always need. Find work in one of those fields. Most of my family are tradesmen, they make great money and never lack for work.

Same with having a family. You're nuts to have one. At the very least keep it to 1 kid. The future is just too uncertain in the first world anymore.

And I agree we're going to see massive moves in robotics replacing workers all around.

Get some land. Learn to be self-sufficient. Re-learn lost skills.

Will Bonsall's Essential Guide to Radical, Self-Reliant Gardening: Innovative Techniques for Growing Vegetables, Grains, and Perennial Food Crops with Minimal Fossil Fuel and Animal Inputs

Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Time-Honored Ways are the Best - Over 700 Recipes Show You Why

I still have a goodly amount of family that live out in the wilds who hunt - that's next on my list to learn to do - and produce their own food. They have a few acres, virtually no overhead, no debt, and lead simple lives. That's how to live.

Oh. A prepper.

And yet, suddenly, 100% of the shit Cutter spews makes perfect sense now.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 28, 2016, 19:50 Flatline

Creston wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 14:47:
Congress to former Disney IT worker "Sorry, son, I can't hear you over all these hundred dollar bills stuffed in my ears by your boss."

Exactly...

"So how much did you contribute to my reelection campaign? Oh nothing? You're sure to see dividends on that investment any day now."

News Comments > Morning Interviews
10. Re: Star Citizen Budget Feb 17, 2016, 14:15 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 10:27:
Star Citizen will meet or exceed every gamers dream for flight sim, space sim, walking sim, war sim, civilization sim, exploration sim, space trucking sim, racing sim, first person shooter, mmorts and mmorpg.

No Burrito Shack sim? Ii'm out.

News Comments > Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3
1. Re: Warren Spector Joining Otherside for System Shock 3 Feb 17, 2016, 12:47 Flatline

Interesting.

I'd actually have been more excited with Ken Levine getting on board but Warren might be a good turn. I feel like SS didn't hit it's stride until SS2 though.

6. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2016, 18:36 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 18:11:
Flatline wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 18:06:
Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 14:22:
She is proof positive that the rule, never stick your dick in crazy, exists for myriad good reasons. It's a rule I've ignored on more than one occasion and always lived to regret it.

To be fair, in this incident, the dick struck me as pretty crazy too.

There are no decent people involved in that shit show.

Seeing as I've never heard his side of the story I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by virtue of who she is and how she behaves. He may well be an asshole but I'd be more inclined to believe he's the victim here.

I've read a bunch of his stuff and he strikes me as being like a mild Aspie most of the time and just kind of a dick at other times.

His original article probably was never even intended or considered to go viral but it was basically the digital equivalent of climbing to the top of a water tower in town and painting "So-and-so is a cheating whore!" in 10 foot tall letters. Usually that kind of dirty laundry isn't aired so publicly.

He has caught a yard of shit though to be sure.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2016, 18:06 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2016, 14:22:
She is proof positive that the rule, never stick your dick in crazy, exists for myriad good reasons. It's a rule I've ignored on more than one occasion and always lived to regret it.

To be fair, in this incident, the dick struck me as pretty crazy too.

There are no decent people involved in that shit show.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Firewatch
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Firewatch Feb 11, 2016, 12:32 Flatline

Quboid wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 22:51:
Flatline wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 15:36:
It made me want a backpacking sim though. Some basic rock climbing mechanics (even an assassin's creed style scramble movement engine), and a gargantuan map that would take me days to cross and explore. Basically I want someone to put in something like the Sierras and give me the tools to explore and back the f*ck off and just let me explore. That's the best part of the Fallout/Elder Scrolls series anyway.

The Climb, coming from Crytek in the next month or two. Small catch: you'll need an Oculus Rift.

I saw that but first I'm not going to dump 1500-2000 bucks on a computer and Oculus for that, and second I wouldn't necessarily want rock climbing to be the focus. It'd just be nice to enable some further exploration.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
8. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 10, 2016, 17:38 Flatline

saluk wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 05:03:
Probably terrible forecasting. It sounds like Rock Band was kind of a hail mary for them, one that didn't make it.

As someone who played the shit out of Rock Band back in the day, the biggest thing that killed it for me was the shit set list. It's fucking C list tracks since they have like 1500 songs on DLC that basically covers everything anyone would want to actually play.

And instead of dropping 200 bucks for a new version of crappy plastic instruments, people can just go plug in their 360 or PS3 and use the crappy plastic instruments they paid 200 bucks for 5 years ago.

If I was harmonix I would have created a DLC version of Rock Band for the XBone/PS4 called like "Rock Band Core" for 10-20 bucks, given 10 bucks worth of DLC free in the purchase, and then sold a 20 dollar dongle that you plug into the console that interfaces with your old hardware and just gone with that. Sure offer updated hardware but that is never going to be your big selling point.

TLDNR: Song list sucked due to expansive DLC library. Spending 200 dollars on hardware to bring your DLC collection to the latest gen is a stupid move.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Demo
16. Re: American Truck Simulator Demo Feb 10, 2016, 17:27 Flatline

rudra wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 16:42:
when does the Crystal Meth DLC come out

They already have Bakersfield in the game I imagine.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 10, 2016, 16:53 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 12:12:
@Darks. How do you think they (or any site for that matter) should make money?

We tracked 3 cryptowall infections back to banner ads that had been compromised and infected last year. Adblocking technology is now mandatory on all company computers and it's made life so much easier.

I don't give a flying fuck how they make their money. If they're so sloppy that they rely on data tracking, compromised 3rd party ad providing companies to underwrite their content, they can go out of fucking business. If they want me to turn my adblocker off they can give me a written guarantee that they'll reimburse me for time and damage done if they serve me any malicious software through their ads.

I don't owe it to them to open my network up to malware just because they're unwilling to provide sanitized advertisements. They can put their shit behind a paywall. Fine whatever. But guilting me into turning off my adblocker is like guilting me into turning off my antivirus these days.

News Comments > American Truck Simulator Demo
14. Re: American Truck Simulator Demo Feb 10, 2016, 16:39 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 15:27:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Feb 10, 2016, 14:25:
Definitely going to try out this demo. The only thing holding me back is scale concerns... I guess I'm just weird that I'd like a long route to take more than 10 minutes.

The route from Eureka to Sacramento takes about 30 real minutes. The route from Redding to L.A. is about 40 minutes. So the routes are long but not real-time long.

If it was Real Time long you'd seriously be doing basically Desert Bus levels of boredom.

2741 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo