Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3253 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mobile Intel i9 CPUs Announced
1. Re: Mobile Intel i9 CPUs Announced Apr 3, 2018, 11:45 Flatline

So are the i9 chips Windows 10 compatible only the way some of the newer i5s are?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Five Free Games with Twitch Prime
6. Re: Five Free Games with Twitch Prime Apr 2, 2018, 11:58 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 11:23:
If you have to pay for something to get something else, it ain't free.

I pay for prime for the video streaming and the shipping.

Everything else, while I technically paid for it, is added value beyond what I originally wanted. So close enough to free.

News Comments > Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free
17. Re: Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free Mar 30, 2018, 12:08 Flatline

Drayth wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 08:56:
I wouldn't say the whole thing rides on the single twist. There's some subtle elements like, EDIT -- nm, even while trying to be vague I felt like I was saying too much.

The "twist" is a tonal shift mainly. I didn't even feel like it was a crux of the story because Spoiler: Walker starts making bad decisions immediately. The plot intentionally blows past the fact that you're on a recon mission and aren't even supposed to interact with anyone- just leave and go get the cavalry if you find survivors. On retrospect, the dude is nuts before he sets foot in Dubai. You can see it in his obsession with Konrad even before the WP mortar thing.

News Comments > Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free
16. Re: Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free Mar 30, 2018, 12:03 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 09:18:
The big "twist" in the middle is not a twist, because you have no other choice EXCEPT TO DO IT.

Well, sure, I guess you could say "I'm not going to do it, I'm going to uninstall the game I paid money for." But there's no choice in game whether you do it or not. That big button is there, and the only way you are proceeding is by hitting that button and initiating the Twist.

That's not storytelling, that's cheap, pretend drama.

Furthermore, the whole "You're shooting American soldiers the whole time! And you're an American soldier!"

Eh, yeah. You're shooting American soldiers because they attack you first. You are defending yourself. By opening fire on American soldiers, that whole outfit commits treason.

Legitimate question- Did you try/hesitate/explore other options before the "twist" happened? I'm willing to bet 99% of people didn't and charged straight into it.

Also, I'm going to point out that the "twist" isn't even really a twist. It's basically the tonal shift point of the game. And it's foreshadowed in the game. A lot. SPOILER A lot of the things you see in the game even before that point... um... aren't really there. You turn around and backtrack and stuff disappears on you. There's a *lot* of hallucinations that you suffer throughout the game that if you aren't paying attention you never notice. It's just after the WP scene that you disassociate your guilt onto the colonel and things go downhill faster END SPOILER

As for killing American troops because they fired on you... you... ah... didn't pay attention to that scene did you? I re-played it recently and was impressed at how a lot of the complaints about the story were actually me mind-caulking things to put my narrative in a better light. It also turns out that I was remembering the narrative my squad mates were helping create to justify our actions.

The ending is a little more heavy handed than Bioshock's "A man chooses" scene. And the story isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. A damn sight better than most of the stories that 1st/3rd person shooters offer up.

For free it's absolutely a should-play. There's a loving amount of detail instilled in the game and the story is better than most games you'll encounter. The 3rd person cover shooter mechanics are basically generic.

There's multiple endings too. When you finally confront Konrad explore some of your options. One of them is almost too weird to be real, and lends credence to a theory that SPOILER Walker never survives the helicopter crash in the beginning of the game.

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced
12. Re: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced Mar 29, 2018, 13:39 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 12:37:
I loved the original Red Faction. It had great world destruction and had other pretty original mechanics. Multiplayer was also ahead of its time. Guerilla only has building destruction, which to me makes for a much less dynamic game and reduces the feeling of really having an impact on the world. Also, Guerilla's setting is bland looking, repetitive and mostly empty. The gameplay is in the same boat. You do the exact same cookie cutter objectives for what seems like way too many times. I also don't like the switch to third person and the overall "consolisation" of the title. I really can't understand why people can stand this game, but I'm definitely in the minority. I guess it had nice graphics at the time, but the constant generic-boring-empty-desert look isn't going to win any awards regardless of what this graphical upgrade can do.

Did we play the same Red Faction? Sure it had the "geomod" ability to blow holes in terrain, but single player at least it almost never did that, and multiplayer was okay but nothing special.

Guerilla was tons of fun. I just wish the AI and the hit & run mechanics were a little more developed and a little less Grand Theft Auto.

Zero Punctuation's review of it is actually spot on.

News Comments > Destiny 2 March Update
4. Re: Destiny 2 March Update Mar 28, 2018, 13:56 Flatline

So I played for a few hours last night.

Biggest change: Damage buffs and movement speed buffs. Even my titan feels a lot faster zipping around.

Damage buffs are appreciated. My pulse rifle exotic black hole generator or whatever seems to proc way more often.

Still no f*cking content.

The group I was playing with has 100% moved on from Destiny. I don't even log in any more myself. The raids suck- The Gauntlet is f*cking stupid. The game is a loot & shoot so they decide to make an end game raid a f*cking platformer.

News Comments > Destiny 2 March Update
2. Re: Destiny 2 March Update Mar 27, 2018, 22:30 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 22:11:
Good, I've been meaning to go back and at least finish the campaign portion of this game, and I've gotten a little spoiled with the insane movement in Warframe.

Warframe's movement = top notch, however the grinding is a bit insane for me, I'll probably drop the game fairly soon. Also, infinite spawn dumb AI on most missions is really boring.

Where is the perfect Borderlands/Destiny/Warframe (with more weapons in inventory for use simultaneously) when you need it!?!

Shooty(FPS or TPS)/ARPGy/Insane Movement/Insane Story, there's a space for a few good games there, for the few of us who aren't swept up in the Battle Royale fervor.

I'd say BL2 loot, Destiny 2 combat, maybe Warframe speed would be crazy addictive. Played through the Pre Sequel and the loot engine SUCKED in that game. 90% of Wilhelm's loot drops were... pistols. Shitty pistols too.

News Comments > BATTLETECH on April 24th
7. Re: BATTLETECH on April 24th Mar 27, 2018, 12:10 Flatline

chickenboo wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 11:10:
please be good

The beta was pretty fun. If the campaign engine works well it should be a pretty fun mech commander game. I mean, the beta with it's like 4 maps and 15 or 20 mechs kept me busy for 30 or 40 hours.

It is *not* tabletop. Initiative is totally different than TT and the damage codes are jiggered around and a lot of the more granular options in combat were eliminated, at least in the beta, but it was pretty fun.

I'm looking forward to it. They have a gargantuan amount of statistics and player feedback from the beta. After every game you got a questionnaire and they took captures of the matches if memory serves. Hopefully that provides for a decent initial balancing.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2018, 20:12 Flatline

Oh man I remember Virtual World in Vegas. That was a great game. Expensive but so much fun.  

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2018, 18:10 Flatline

Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:18:
It depends on the activism, Prez. All the PC clicktivism and outrage today is not only stupid, it's dangerous. The far left is only fostering the far right. They're their own worst enemy. Just look at the recent German and Italian elections. And that's unfolding all over the globe. But there's plenty of good and necessary activism too.

You're example is spot on. I also admit their are causes worth fighting for. I just see no value in activism of any kind. Unless there is a figure head, a true leader. One who is respected and charismatic enough for his or her followers to actually heed what they say. And at that point, said person becomes a general in a revolution. Your run-of-the-mill activist is now a soldier, marching to the orders of the leader. There's actual direction. The body acts as one. That's how things get done. Any movement that lacks a defined and strong leader or leaders is going nowhere at best, or making things worse at worst, exactly as you illustrate in your example.. Today's movements, every single one of them, bare that out completely in my view.

So specific case in point that doesn't fit what you're saying. I'd point to gay marriage rights in the US circa 2010-2011. There was no one single charismatic leader leading that fight but in the span of about 18 months the entire political landscape shifted significantly and then was followed up with Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015 (it seems like a lot longer ago).

If I had to point to any one thing kicking off that 18 month timespan I'd probably put it on Biden going off the reservation in an interview and stating on the record he was in favor of anyone being able to marry anyone, and the Obama administration deciding not to hang him out to dry. It didn't influence Obergefell v. Hodges but that seemed to be a cultural cracking point.

The #metoo thing seems to have legs too. That doesn't have a leader per se, but more of a poster boy for everything the concept is against. Time will tell if it impacts the industry.

I do absolutely agree that coordination and an agreement of goals by different groups that might not otherwise come together are necessary to invoke change, and that with a charismatic leader or a handful of them that it's easier to bridge those gaps and get past the narcissism of small differences, but I don't think it's necessarily mandatory.

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
26. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 17:19 Flatline

necrosis wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 17:09:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 15:57:
necrosis wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 15:51:
With how utterly abysmal the game was MONTHS after launch I have no damned idea how they are making a second one.

I would almost be less shocked if they announced a sequel to Evolve.

Yes, but if you log into the Division right now, tons of people are playing. If you log into Evolve? I'd guess not many.
Tons of asshole pricks geared to the hilt running around and killing people that just set foot in the dark zone.

An issue they NEVER fixed... or rather they half assed fixed that solved nothing.

The Dark Zone is not the only end game solution now. There's other end-game events that you can gear up pretty well to be competitive in Dark Zone.

22. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 16:21 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 16:06:
Aaaaannnnddd yet another retarded, boring as fuck multiplayer grindfest. This is becoming reminiscent of the MMO heydays in the early 2000s. We really need a few solid flops in this area of gaming to bring the publishers back in line.

Destiny 2 is fizzling so hard that it might be enough of an industry flop on it's own.

As a bunch of friends were discussing, whoever thought that platforming was what an FPS needed for it's end-game raiding needed their fucking heads examined.

13. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 14:27 Flatline

Prez wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 13:01:
Despite the problems I have with going to a full fledged sequel as opposed to adding more to the first game, I still like the fact that there is going to be more of this universe. I really liked The Division. That said, however, with the sequel they absolutely need to tighten up the storytelling - the first had snippets of excellent storytelling but overall there was too little story progression overall, leading to a feeling that you as the player were just spinning your wheels in a story arc that mostly didn't go anywhere and lacked satisfying closure to plot points. I loved the combat though; I found it to be rife with fun and interesting shooting gameplay even though some others didn't.

Agreed. The story had moments of greatness but a lot of blandness.

I'm also curious what is happening outside of NYC. I find it impossible to believe that the virus hasn't spread outside of NYC.

Hopefully Division 2 starts with the amount of content that Division 1 has right now. It probably won't but I hope so. I also hope they build on the loot system they have now, which is actually, finally kind of fun, and don't nuke it back to the stone age like they did with Destiny 2.

News Comments > Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage
26. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 Flatline

Frijoles wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 19:41:
Flatline wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:54:
But having a signed SSL certificate to even run your software *is* strange.

Not very strange. I find it odd when drivers aren't signed. Otherwise how can you really trust that they're from the developer? At any rate, this cert was around the CV1 days. The guy who wrote the software probably left and nobody noticed. Also changing a system clock can lead to other software problems, so make sure to change it back when done. I'm surprised they haven't fixed it yet though since signing a new executable shouldn't take very long.

No it's still strange. Because sure, I can buy using a cert to communicate with the mothership and make sure you have an uninterrupted connection. But apparently Oculus either needs to have an always-on connection to the corporate servers, or the cert is still required even when offline. I mean, you already have the software, you know it's legit (though a certificate doesn't ensure that you have an uncompromised piece of software, just that you weren't subjected to a Man in the Middle attack. You need checksums or some other method to verify that you have uncompromised software) it's on your computer, the cert doesn't do anything at that point. If it's checking the cert while offline and still preventing you from launching the game, this is crappy programming and basically enforced obsolescence.

Edit: Driver signatures are not SSL certificates. That's a different thing entirely.

News Comments > Op Ed
6. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2018, 12:05 Flatline

"In a perfect world, perhaps we wouldn't have virtual shooters at all"

No in a perfect world numbnuts people wouldn't snap and shoot innocent people. JFC.

5. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 18:54 Flatline

Silgurdar wrote on Mar 7, 2018, 18:01:
Why do you need active Internet connection to use the Oculus Rift? It's same as needing one to use a monitor...

If you can get around it by changing the clock date it's not actually an internet connection that's needed. But having a signed SSL certificate to even run your software *is* strange.

2. Re: Expired Cert Behind Rift Outage Mar 7, 2018, 17:57 Flatline

Yeah rolling the date back would convince the local cert manager that the cert wasn't expired.

Way to go Oculus!

News Comments > Super Seducer - How to Talk to Girls
15. Re: Super Seducer - How to Talk to Girls Mar 7, 2018, 12:07 Flatline

Red886 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 23:52:
i don't get how single #metoo activists will ever get a bf, unless they consider the only way for courtship and pickups is when the female initiates it.

#metoomens

Um... #MeToo was about rape and molestation and sexual harassment. It wasn't like radfem it was showing how widespread that kind of crap is.

News Comments > White House Games Meeting Thursday
19. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 13:59 Flatline

Saboth wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:16:
Do we need guns for "defense", or is that some right wing paranoia stuff?

Semiautomatic rifles are pretty terrible at home defense.

I'd suggest a big dog, a home alarm, or pepper spray, or a pump action shotgun, or a pistol, in that order, before I'd ever... You know what? Even after exhausting all of those I'd still recommend against a "modern sporting rifle" for defense.

A shorter barrel pump shotgun with buckshot in it is a way better option for home defense. Easier to hit, you don't have to worry about punching through multiple walls, and 00 buck or even #4 buck at short range does... well... catastrophic damage if you hit.

News Comments > White House Games Meeting Thursday
17. Re: White House Games Meeting Thursday Mar 6, 2018, 13:45 Flatline

Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 13:03:
The Pyro wrote on Mar 6, 2018, 12:58:
Gun lobby desperately searches for a scapegoat that is not guns.

I'm a "gun person" but I cringe every time the NRA decides to point fingers at games and film. You don't like people blaming guns for violence, so don't be blaming other things that are irrelevant.

I'm a "gun person" too but the NRA just makes me cringe in general. They're about a split hair away from just calling for gun owners to start murdering liberals. They're so apocalyptic and fear-mongering that it's insulting.

They used to not be that way. in the 70's and earlier the NRA advocated for sensible stuff like background checks and really was a gun-owning advocacy group. They've become a gun manufacturer advocacy group and have gone batshiat.

And it won't help. The problem is that by being zero-tolerance, fearmongering, and extremist to the point of nearly calling for open civil violence, they basically refuse to cooperate on anything.

Now for 20 or 30 years, that's been politically viable. But sooner or later, there will be a moment where the public becomes reactionary enough that the NRA won't be able to hold the tide back. In that moment they'll try to find a "middle ground" but by that point the reactionism will be extreme enough that no middle ground will be viable and we'll see some major retaliatory legislation against guns, up to and including a 2nd amendment repeal.

And even as a "gun person" who wants some f*cking sanity in our gun legislation, that kind of reactionary pushback scares me. But it's the only thing that *will* move the needle in any significant way because the gun lobby and politicians feel like this is an invulnerable, immutable argument that they have.

3253 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo