Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2736 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BATTLETECH Kickstarter
33. Re: BATTLETECH Kickstarter Sep 29, 2015, 19:19 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 14:36:
Task wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 14:18:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:57:

I want a modern Mechwarrior game, damn it!

Maybe in another 10 years? Or maybe back at 10,000 and visit Jordan, have a sit down with him, and ask "Please MW5?"

Yeah, problem is a modern MW game is a $15-20M cost to develop. Hard to KS that.

100 MILLION DOLLAR STAR CITIZEN STRETCH GOAL: MECHS AND MECHA COMBAT!

God I hope I didn't give anyone ideas just now.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Quote of the Day
18. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 11:52 Flatline

harlock wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 11:20:
i still dont understand why people are so up for this game... its just a touch above mediocre

i finished it on PS3.. its pretty fucking meh

nowhere near as good as GTA5

GTA5's mechanics were passable (I haven't played the PC version because I dumped 60 bucks into it back in the last console generation) but the story was *terrible*.

I actually preferred GTA4's story to 5. Unlikable characters, a go-nowhere story, and the uneven tone of Trevor really killed it for me. The heists were kind of cool but they didn't save the game.

I get that Trevor is us. The "quirky", illogical, impulsive psychopath in the GTA universe. I just didn't give a shit.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 26, 2015, 18:51 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 14:36:
"Sony - climate -not healthy- for PlayStation Vita successor."

As a Vita owner I can tell you that this is unfortunate but not unexpected. The Vita is still the second best selling GameBoy/DS competitor overall - second only to the PSP - but overall sales have been much too low to sustain a second handheld. The overall market has shrunk some due to smartphones, and what's left is very clearly in Nintendo's hands right now.

Even the PSP kind of fizzled. No second analog stick and some truly bizarre marketing choices and almost zero software support isn't going to be a big market success.

I looked at the Vita and saw that they had no software library for it and moved on.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2015, 18:50 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 11:02:
That's not trolling, thats advanced case of schizophrenia, an illness or rather mental disorder that should be handled by professionals, not by a jail. Nobody sane has 100's of completely opposite personalities.

Ps.: That Australian court thing is a real laugh, but it went a bit beyond just unfriending ^^

Well, it is trolling too. He went out of his way to torture people online.

I agree that he needs help though.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
104. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 26, 2015, 15:38 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 04:52:
Flatline wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 17:04:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 14:17:
I have the document but I'm not going to repost it out of respect for David's wishes that it not be public. However I can provide a very, very brief summary. It's not going to be as detailed as the Exit Letter but it'll give an idea of what's up. The summary won't name specific individuals besides the main players (i.e. Chris Roberts). Stay tuned.

Fair 'nuff. I just want the broad strokes anyway. It sounds like from people talking about it that it contains accusations of CR basically operating on whim and poor management.

Someone recreated the exit letter on Reddit. It's still there. I guess if it's public domain then I don't feel bad linking to it.

Yeesh... "What's our budget?"

"It's CryTek budgets are irrelevant!"

"WTF?"

"It's Brawndo THE THIRST MUTILATOR! It's got electrolytes!"

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
22. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 26, 2015, 15:34 Flatline

Nucas wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 14:12:
i'll never understand the american corporate mentality that sees them use people up and discard them, rather than cultivate and develop them.

It's called the Friedman Doctrine. The only obligation of a corporation is to it's shareholders. And that obligation is to maximize profits. Friedman argued that socially conscious corporations lead to totalitarianism.

So by putting money first and f*cking everyone else over, they're protecting FREEDOM you see.

84. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 17:15 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 16:39:
@ Sugarman,

Have you played the ArcCorp? Do you understand the amount of work it takes to build something like that by hand from scratch? That takes a dozen people at least half a year to build, assuming all tools are in place and artists are experienced. It's incredible, but total overkill for it's function. And they want 100 of these. It crushed me. It made me realize the project was completely off the rails. How do you think they'll ever finish if every planetary location is this detailed?

Bring me back to the light, Sugarman. Cuz I'm in a dark place on this project.

Playing devil's advocate slightly, it's possible that they put 300% of the game's normal fidelity into ArcCorp mainly to make a good first impression. The other assets may not be as high quality.

Of course, that opens you up to false advertising accusations. You can't win this game.

83. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 17:04 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 14:17:
Flatline wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 13:54:
Yeah I noticed that. If it can't be posted, can someone summarize what was in it?

I have the document but I'm not going to repost it out of respect for David's wishes that it not be public. However I can provide a very, very brief summary. It's not going to be as detailed as the Exit Letter but it'll give an idea of what's up. The summary won't name specific individuals besides the main players (i.e. Chris Roberts). Stay tuned.

Fair 'nuff. I just want the broad strokes anyway. It sounds like from people talking about it that it contains accusations of CR basically operating on whim and poor management.

News Comments > Op Ed
120. Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 14:14 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 13:43:
Kosumo wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 21:55:

The point of interest now is Squadron 42, When will it ship? What state will in be in? Surly if they don't get it out within the next 9-12 months it's game over man, game over. (when it does come out, it needs to deliver from the get go, none of this 'it's still alpha, pre-alpha even' shit that the fanbois roll out about the current efforts. - It needs to be bug free and optimized)

Yeah, this was always my interest as well, the PU was just icing. Episode 1 was supposed to come out end of this year, which probably means Spring 2016. It is supposed to be 70 missions, so if that gets released, and RSI crashes and burns after that, I'll have gotten my $35 worth.

For the record, I'm not in any way hoping for Roberts to fail.

EDIT: Now I'm reading even Ep 1 is 15 months away? *sigh*

Bonus points: I doubt it'll be 70 missions either. Maybe *all* the episodes will be 70 missions.

But you'll have to pay for those it sounds like. Or you won't. It's hard to tell. Which suggests to me you will.

News Comments > Op Ed
119. Re: Op Ed Sep 25, 2015, 14:05 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 03:24:
dsmart wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 22:16:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 23, 2015, 20:55:
Ok, I'm officially sick of popcorn after these SC threads. The next one is going to have to be celery/carrot sticks and Hummus or something.

Off on the Space sim tangent, Elite:Dangerous is still on sale on Steam... worth buying at that price? ($27~) Or still to empty to bother?

*EDIT* Typo.

Don't ask. Buy it. Thanks us later.

I was actually advised NOT to buy it right now. Apparently it doesn't include access to E:D Horizons, the new planetary landing module that ships in a few weeks. That will be a separate purchase which will also include the full game. SC isn't the only company to do shady things for a buck.

Horizons doesn't ship in a few weeks. If memory serves it *might* ship end of year.

38. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 13:54 Flatline

Wallshadows wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 11:46:
El Pit wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 11:45:

kxmode linked to it in the last SC thread.

Nice, thanks!

Update: Awww, the link doesn't work anymore and holy cow, a wild Derek Smart appeared!

Yeah I noticed that. If it can't be posted, can someone summarize what was in it?

34. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 25, 2015, 13:43 Flatline

Zarkonis wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 13:15:
This has got to be the biggest joke in gaming right now. Sorry, but this game should have gone live at $10M, and the rest of the money being content updates. The fact it's not even available unless you're throwing money at it proves it's a joke.

It's worse than that. The cynicism of offering all these ships at like 400 dollar price points is telling too. They aren't interested in anything other than whales at this point. Sure you can get into the game for 40 bucks, but if you want something other than a starting ship (taking them at face value), better dish out some real cash because that 40 bucks isn't even going to cover alterations on the Chairman's quasi-futuristic space jumpsuit that he designed personally.

News Comments > Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Free on Origin
31. Re: Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 Free on Origin Sep 20, 2015, 14:27 Flatline

Got it, but it doesn't launch in Windows 10 it looks like.  

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend
20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Weekend Sep 11, 2015, 14:14 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Sep 11, 2015, 10:51:
The human enemies in XCOM are poorly integrated and have almost no scaling. It isn't long before they post no threat whatsoever but nevertheless continually harass XCOM, because pinpointing their base takes an unreasonable amount of time and/or trial and error. It could have been a lot more interesting if the enemy human forces more closely paralleled XCOM in equipment/abilities/tactics.

They hit Tier 2 weapons & upgrades generally speaking.

But yes, usually by the time you find their base unless you get lucky, you're starting into plasma and power armor and it's just a slaughter-fest.

News Comments > Laborious Metaverse
9. Re: Laborious Metaverse Sep 7, 2015, 20:41 Flatline

SlimRam wrote on Sep 7, 2015, 14:47:
  • PewDiePie becomes first YouTuber to hit 10 billion views.

• All hope is lost

I don't watch youtube game videos generally as a rule anyway because they are boring as fuck and I'd rather play a video game than watch someone play a video game.

So that being said, what's the appeal of PewDiePie?

News Comments > Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 10 Notes
    15. Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition Patch 10 Notes Sep 4, 2015, 17:55 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Sep 4, 2015, 15:17:
    Did anybody expect this patch?

Wouldn't you still have to be playing the game or wanting to play the game to be expecting a patch?

News Comments > Star Citizen Social Module Released
    201. Re: Star Citizen Social Module Released Sep 4, 2015, 14:29 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 12:56:
    At one point, Chris said "No more stretch goals" and all the fanbois (pronounced "fan-BWAH" from French) complained, so he continued adding them, so it's not entirely his fault.

Ahem.

Bullshit. Bull. Fucking. Shit.

He's the guy the buck stops with. He could have just said "sorry guys, if we keep doing stretch goals the feature creep might put the project in jeopardy" and the white knights would have fallen right in line.

I have no doubt when they said "keep going" he was fantasizing that he was a rock star and the audience was chanting "encore!" That was a pure ego move and it was 100% CR's fault for putting ego before good project management.

News Comments > Evening Interviews
    25. Re: Evening Interviews Sep 4, 2015, 14:17 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2015, 20:08:
    After that comes the biggie - planetside exploration, which Roberts plans to make seamless too.

“We probably won’t let you fly yourself directly down to a planet for the reason that we don’t want you to be crashing into things,” he explains. “But you’ll see the planet, and there won’t be a loading screen - essentially we’ll control the path. Everything will stream in and land and you’ll walk out.”

A loading screen by any other name....

Boy, this just keeps getting better and better doesn't it? Lol!

Hey if it worked with elevators in Mass Effect...

News Comments > WildStar F2P This Month
    5. Re: WildStar F2P This Month Sep 3, 2015, 14:05 Flatline

Moment to moment the game was a lot of fun. The environments got kind of interesting and there were some fun set pieces. The world events that would roll through from time to time were an improvement on GW2 and were kind of a blast.

I never was able to get together with my friends though and raid. The hardcore raid thing was what killed it for me.

News Comments > No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser
    49. Re: No Star Wars Battlefront Server Browser Sep 2, 2015, 16:31 Flatline

Kevin Lowe wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 12:38:
    Verno wrote on Sep 2, 2015, 10:10:
    Using a server browser on the consoles is fine and a lot of them like dedicated servers now that they can see the advantages. Its an arguing point for PS4/Xbox people on forums. They just didn't know better before hand.
    Dedicated servers and server browsers are not inextricably tied together. Personally, I prefer skills-based matchmaking onto ad hoc dedicated servers, and the massive amount of cloud computing out there makes this model cheap and easy to support. Rather than have a few people or groups shell out the money for a single dedicated server to support a single game (at a time), just spin up virtual machines as needed, then drop them when the session has finished.

Then again, matchmaking worked out *so* well for Halo: The Master Chief Collection...

2736 Comments. 137 pages. Viewing page 9.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo