Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2750 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
22. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 18:55 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:26:
Three years to build the underlying architecture before you even begin on the content? That's nuts.

That's actually believable if you take his scope at face value and the technical factoids that we've gotten from sources and from interviews.

Each ship is basically it's own level. So in a big fleet action you may have 64+ "levels" all trading data back and forth about their state and damage etc... That is an *insane* amount of work and data shuffling. Now multiply that times 100 star systems and however many instances you need to support millions of players.

I'm no programming genius or even a programmer in general but that kind of architecture from a network standpoint is staggering.

And the crytek engine has to handle all of that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
17. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 18:26 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:16:
When employees are let go it's only natural that some of them will hit out at the company. There's no way to verify any of the assertions made. Could they be accurate? Absolutely. Could they be exaggerated? More than likely. This isn't the first time an ex-employee has been critical of the company.

More than likely? How often do you get ex-employees who make up specific, detailed, consistent bullshit about their old employers that mystically matches up with all the other stories from ex-employees? In almost 20 years of working professionally I've only encountered it maybe once or twice. Generally speaking most grudges from ex-employees are grounded in reality. Now if those are small problems that are blown up to be deal-breakers? That's a different story, but I rarely find that people go out of their way to create elaborate stories. Usually they just say "it was shit" and move on.

Also, apparently the article includes *current* employees as well. So yes it could be an orchestrated plot to undermine the project. But every source that comes forward makes it less and less likely.

News Comments > More QUAKEs & Wolfensteins on GOG.com
3. Re: More QUAKEs & Wolfensteins on GOG.com Oct 1, 2015, 17:50 Flatline

Quake 3 was probably the pinnacle of deathmatch. Nice to see it around.  

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
93. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 14:42 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:38:
Firstly, that's pretty much exactly what Star Citizen. Secondly, if Star Citizen fails then there's about zero chance of Disney deciding to sink any serious money into a space sim project.

1. Show me where the fleet commander interface is planned. That's a new one for me.

2. That is *not* what Star Citizen is. Star Citizen is basically being pitched as Freelancer: The Version CR Wanted To Do.

I'm not talking about trading, or collecting ships, boarding actions, or any shit like that. I'm talking about a multiplayer focused skirmish game where the end results of instanced skirmishes have an impact on territory controlled.

90. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 14:32 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:21:
Flatline wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:04:
dsmart wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 13:08:
I just came here to see who else thinks this is my fault.

It's always your fault. The refugee crisis in Syria and Europe? Your fault. China's precarious economy from overbuilding? Your fault. Crystal Pepsi? I don't know if I'll ever forgive you for that one.

So, "I blame Obama" has become "I blame Smart?"

Thanks, Derek! is the new Thanks, Obama!

79. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 14:08 Flatline

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 14:02:
What can even be said at this point? Most people see the train coming off the tracks and are getting out of the way, a few think they can right it if they could only pile enough money in the corner to balance the weight. The conductor is just pressing random buttons hoping it works out. If karma is real somewhere a Disney exec is having the idea "Hey that X-Wing/TIE series was pretty popular, let's see if Lawrence Holland is available".

x-wing & tie fighter, with a "persistant" strategic map, and the ability to have players drop into a homeworld style interface to assign priorities to wings and control cap ships?

Oh god yes where do I sign up?

76. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 14:04 Flatline

dsmart wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 13:08:
I just came here to see who else thinks this is my fault.

It's always your fault. The refugee crisis in Syria and Europe? Your fault. China's precarious economy from overbuilding? Your fault. Crystal Pepsi? I don't know if I'll ever forgive you for that one.

55. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 12:52 Flatline

BobBob wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 12:48:
Will the ship fly me out of this planet of stupid?

Auto-pilot module will be another 250 dollars.

53. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 12:42 Flatline

I'm really surprised that CR hasn't created in-game indentured servitude yet. 300 hours of texture painting or whatever in exchange for a shitty ass ship. He could put up a 10,000 dollar ship and let people code for him in exchange for it.  

47. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 12:05 Flatline

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 11:53:
loomy wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 11:42:
to be fair it's more like a $450 ship
Well I am sure they will have a special ghetto edition without cup holders, toilets, windshields or landing gear for $600 but only for a limited time, while supplies last!

How much for a handkerchief that the prophet CR wiped his sweaty brow with so that I can pray over it?

43. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 11:42 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 11:11:
Popcorn overdose.

This has gone far beyond gullibility into some sort of strange religious cult. My condolences to people who heard about SC years ago and wanted to eventually play some sort of updated Wing Commander type game.

This is starting to get about as expensive as $cientology.

I'm waiting for CR to announce the equivalent of Clear. Achievable for only 9000 dollars in auditing err... I mean Citizenization

42. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 11:36 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 09:45:
One has to remember that these ships will all be available in-game without any real world monetary cost.

Yeah and supposedly any ship in the game can be acquired in a "few hours" playing time. I remember that one too.

I also remember how I was supposed to get all these in-game credits for kickstarting the game and then it turned out that I essentially got the equivalent of like 78 cents of in-game currency.

Point being, they're saying that these ships are available in-game *now*. But they aren't yet, and that could easily change.

41. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Sep 30, 2015, 11:34 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 09:32:

Pricing aside, the MUCH scarier part to me is that I can not really see a way how they are ever going to create gameplay systems for a ship of this type. Seriously. What are people supposed to do with a research ship? What will there be to really "research"?

Better yet they specifically cite that you can turn this into a hospital ship. WTF kind of gameplay is that going to entail?

I guess the surgery simulator is slated for alpha at some point?

News Comments > BATTLETECH Kickstarter
34. Re: BATTLETECH Kickstarter Sep 29, 2015, 19:20 Flatline

BadIronTree wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 14:51:
53 min is that a record ?
lol

I just backed a board game today that was funded in 2 minutes.

The goal was lower, around 50k, but still...

News Comments > BATTLETECH Kickstarter
33. Re: BATTLETECH Kickstarter Sep 29, 2015, 19:19 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 14:36:
Task wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 14:18:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 13:57:

I want a modern Mechwarrior game, damn it!

Maybe in another 10 years? Or maybe back at 10,000 and visit Jordan, have a sit down with him, and ask "Please MW5?"

Yeah, problem is a modern MW game is a $15-20M cost to develop. Hard to KS that.

100 MILLION DOLLAR STAR CITIZEN STRETCH GOAL: MECHS AND MECHA COMBAT!

God I hope I didn't give anyone ideas just now.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
18. Re: Quote of the Day Sep 29, 2015, 11:52 Flatline

harlock wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 11:20:
i still dont understand why people are so up for this game... its just a touch above mediocre

i finished it on PS3.. its pretty fucking meh

nowhere near as good as GTA5

GTA5's mechanics were passable (I haven't played the PC version because I dumped 60 bucks into it back in the last console generation) but the story was *terrible*.

I actually preferred GTA4's story to 5. Unlikable characters, a go-nowhere story, and the uneven tone of Trevor really killed it for me. The heists were kind of cool but they didn't save the game.

I get that Trevor is us. The "quirky", illogical, impulsive psychopath in the GTA universe. I just didn't give a shit.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
2. Re: Saturday Mobilization Sep 26, 2015, 18:51 Flatline

ViRGE wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 14:36:
"Sony - climate -not healthy- for PlayStation Vita successor."

As a Vita owner I can tell you that this is unfortunate but not unexpected. The Vita is still the second best selling GameBoy/DS competitor overall - second only to the PSP - but overall sales have been much too low to sustain a second handheld. The overall market has shrunk some due to smartphones, and what's left is very clearly in Nintendo's hands right now.

Even the PSP kind of fizzled. No second analog stick and some truly bizarre marketing choices and almost zero software support isn't going to be a big market success.

I looked at the Vita and saw that they had no software library for it and moved on.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
9. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Sep 26, 2015, 18:50 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 11:02:
That's not trolling, thats advanced case of schizophrenia, an illness or rather mental disorder that should be handled by professionals, not by a jail. Nobody sane has 100's of completely opposite personalities.

Ps.: That Australian court thing is a real laugh, but it went a bit beyond just unfriending ^^

Well, it is trolling too. He went out of his way to torture people online.

I agree that he needs help though.

News Comments > Star Citizen Departures?
104. Re: Star Citizen Departures? Sep 26, 2015, 15:38 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 04:52:
Flatline wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 17:04:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 14:17:
I have the document but I'm not going to repost it out of respect for David's wishes that it not be public. However I can provide a very, very brief summary. It's not going to be as detailed as the Exit Letter but it'll give an idea of what's up. The summary won't name specific individuals besides the main players (i.e. Chris Roberts). Stay tuned.

Fair 'nuff. I just want the broad strokes anyway. It sounds like from people talking about it that it contains accusations of CR basically operating on whim and poor management.

Someone recreated the exit letter on Reddit. It's still there. I guess if it's public domain then I don't feel bad linking to it.

Yeesh... "What's our budget?"

"It's CryTek budgets are irrelevant!"

"WTF?"

"It's Brawndo THE THIRST MUTILATOR! It's got electrolytes!"

News Comments > Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up
22. Re: Cloud Imperium Games Layoff Report Follow-up Sep 26, 2015, 15:34 Flatline

Nucas wrote on Sep 26, 2015, 14:12:
i'll never understand the american corporate mentality that sees them use people up and discard them, rather than cultivate and develop them.

It's called the Friedman Doctrine. The only obligation of a corporation is to it's shareholders. And that obligation is to maximize profits. Friedman argued that socially conscious corporations lead to totalitarianism.

So by putting money first and f*cking everyone else over, they're protecting FREEDOM you see.

2750 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo