Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2750 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Voice Actors Authorize Strike
19. Re: Voice Actors Authorize Strike Oct 8, 2015, 13:27 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 13:06
If they want to be paid more, they can argue for more up front or per session. [/quote:

Er... isn't that what they're doing? Arguing up front for more money?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit
206. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 7, 2015, 16:42 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 16:31:
But seriously, did you actually bring up Freespace Open in a topic about Star Citizen? At least Elite: Dangerous is in the same ballpark; Freespace Open looks like it's from the 90s... because it is.

20 years and 100 million dollars later and I still enjoy the combat in Freespace 2 more than Arena Commander.

News Comments > No SC Retraction from The Escapist
110. Re: No SC Retraction from The Escapist Oct 7, 2015, 15:42 Flatline

Vio wrote on Oct 7, 2015, 15:20:
So I guess this is the perfect time to get a update: can you warp between systems yet?

As long as your target and origin system are the same absolutely.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Announced
10. Re: Far Cry Primal Announced Oct 6, 2015, 13:52 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 6, 2015, 13:34:
Setting is unique, but I just don't see it being fun beyond rock, spear, fire, bow.

I don't even see how that would be sufficient to kill a pissed off feral hog. Boarspears were like 14 feet long with prongs for a reason.

If they're smart they'll come up with an elaborate trap system that uses basic components you can combine in a sandboxy sort of way.

180. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 23:49 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 22:51:
eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 21:45:
Technically CIG can sue in the UK and thus, in the EU.

According to their Terms of Services they can't.

XXII. Disputes & Binding Arbitration
E. Location
Any arbitration shall be initiated in the County of Los Angeles, State of California, United States of America. Any Dispute not subject to arbitration, or where no election to arbitrate has been made, shall be decided by a court of competent jurisdiction within the County of Los Angeles, State of California, United States of America, and you and RSI agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of that court. The application of the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods is expressly excluded.

- Cloud Imperium in headquartered in Santa Monica, CA, 90401.
- The Escapist's phone number is (212)244-4307 which is the same number as their parent company Defy Media who is located in New York. They have an office in Los Angeles.

Basically there's no way this would be a EU case. It wouldn't even be a New York case. Everything would happen in the County of Los Angeles, State of California, United States of America; which is under the legal jurisdiction of California. Actually any backer is protected under specific California laws because those are the laws Cloud Imperium must operate under.

TOS only applies if you're entered into a contract/agreement with CIG. And Escapist probably isn't.

179. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 23:48 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 21:45:
In the EU laws are different. And as journalist you better have DAMN SOLID PROOF if you claim criminal actions that someone else commits. Otherwise you can pay up to a few million . Google Kachelmann + Bild for example, and UK has even more severe punishments.

Technically CIG can sue in the UK and thus, in the EU.

From pure entertainment standpoint, I'd be curious if CIG would actually do that though, since a court would *check* if the allegations are true.

Popehat totally covers this. Go read the article.

130. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 16:53 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 16:28:
Who says they need any more money?

Chris Roberts.

Edit:

Here's a thing: November 2014 he says SC will have a budget of at least 100 million by the time it ships. Which is a number they haven't crossed yet.

https://tinyurl.com/qf77ya7

129. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 16:51 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 16:13:
Flatline wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 15:59:
Actually the legal threat was dated Oct 1st, so the response may have been with the letter in mind.

Chris's original response to the Escapist article was posted Oct 1, but the legal response was posted Oct 4 on the same page.

I was going by the date on the letter. Which was the 1st. If it was emailed/scanned/overnighted it's possible that it reached Escapist before the response.

Shit you're right it was written on October 2nd my bad.

119. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 15:59 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 15:57:
Timmeh wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 15:55:
here is escapist response...

Escapist update

That pretty much slams the door in the face of CR and the claims of people thinking this is all DS. Its obvious DS was just in the know with some of these people and maybe others.

Something anyone invested with the game should care about.

These are real ex and current employees and i for one accept that these people are basically telling the truth. (because i live in the real world)

Yeah, that came out before CR's legal threat. I'd like to see their response to the legal threat. Although a proper response is to let your lawyer handle it, so we'd probably hear nothing.

Actually the legal threat was dated Oct 1st, so the response may have been with the letter in mind.

114. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 15:45 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 14:32:
So to avoid bad press CIG decided to draw attention to a negative article in the hopes it would increase funding? Seems legit. The non-cynic would suggest that Chris Roberts is outraged that his wife has been attacked and is doing everything he can to defend her but then that doesn't fit the conspiracy theories people love around here.

1. You're assuming that further purchases/investments are due to a steadily expanding market share. We don't have the numbers, so it's pure conjecture on our part one way or another. But I suspect between major releases and modules there's a big slump in market share growth. It's people already franchised into the game that probably provide the lion's share of money.

2. That occurred to me too, but if that was the case why did CR respond the way he did (as quoted by the Escapist) and then have his co-founder write a letter that threatened to lawyer up the day after being approached?

Most people who were pissed would default straight to the lawyering up/C&D demand. Unless of course the Escapist sent him a version that didn't contain allegations against his wife. Which actually would be easily provable.

111. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 15:31 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 12:40:
Do you really think that The Escapist wants to stand behind the article, which has no journalistic integrity and is only hurting its reputation, to spend potentially large amounts of money defending it when they could simply remove it? It's not like they can't post another article that is properly researched and stands up to scrutiny. They would be better apologising for the article and cutting all ties with the author rather than letting this drag on and destroying the reputation of the site.

Actually no they wouldn't. Retracting the story and then reissuing it would be a *terrible* idea, because then you really could demonstrate malice and forethought if you were CIG. It'd be a "See even when they got it wrong they kept coming after us" argument.

Once you retract, you're done. Some other institution has to pick the ball up at that point. You don't see Rolling Stone re-issue another "rape on campus" story do you?

63. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 12:33 Flatline

It occurs to me that CIG might have bent over and grabbed it's ankles by publicly accusing Derek Smart of being "behind" the Escapist article. Because if the article is accurate, that shows deliberate intentional malice on CIG's part to distract from a rocky internal situation.

I mean, it'd be hard to prove still. But if the article turns out to be legit it could feasibly be the precursor to a lot of dirty laundry being aired.

In general writing that 5 page temper tantrum rant was a Bad Idea regardless of how unprofessional the Escapist article might have been.

56. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 12:09 Flatline

Xil wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 11:55:
Either way, it would be cool if the project would succeed and it probably could have if they had stopped at (wild guess) the 10 million dollar stretch goal and not piled up more and more.

If memory serves the 10 million dollar mark was the point of like... more systems and the ability to tune your ships engines like a car engine and stuff like that. Stuff that hasn't even been implemented yet.

And I think everyone would be understanding if the project was far enough along to encounter *those* bumps in the road. But so far we have an alpha (sorry final release) of the flight model in Arena Commander with 2 whole space cubes, a super visual fidelity graphical chat room, and a shitty FPS pre-alpha demo. Half the basic mechanics haven't even reached alpha yet, unless CIG is seriously keeping the entire game under wraps.

I backed the game and still have my cash in it but I'm not expecting much at this point. I hate the flight model and the obvious bias towards mouse and keyboard and haven't especially touched Arena Commander in ages. I also hate that it's like a 45 gig download every time there's a patch/release. It's just sloppy place-holders everywhere.

54. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 12:00 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 11:35:
This is a SLAPP suit, plain and simple. CIG doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. I hope The Escapist tells them, in the words of Withnail, to shove it up their ass and fuckoff for nothing while doing it. If CIG wants to sue they'll just end up losing a pile of money here.

I wonder if it even is going that far. At my most cynical I can see it as either A. An out "we spent all our money on lawyers damn Derek Smart!" or B. a way of saying "all is well stay calm!".

44. Re: CIG Demands Escapist Retraction; Threatens Lawsuit Oct 5, 2015, 11:27 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Oct 5, 2015, 10:52:
You know who likes to threaten people with lawsuits?

Derek Smart.

DEREK SMART IS CHRIST ROBERTS

/mindblown

I came in here to post "The circle is complete. CR has embraced his hatred and taken his rightful place at Derek Smart's side. Suing each other."

News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
31. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 3, 2015, 01:45 Flatline

Creston wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 22:58:
I'm still not really sure how they feel that this "defends" their sources, or why they felt the need to give an accurate-to-the-minute guide to when and how they talked to people. (so instead of knowing that you talked to several anonymous sources, I now know that you talked to several anonymous sources for xx minutes over Skype and the phone. DOUBTS:ERASED.)

Every single thing they posted is still "well, they said that..." There is no (f)actual evidence.

And it still doesn't make up for the fact that they posted a terrible fucking article to begin with, only to grudgingly post this 'evidence' after people lambasted them for it.

Again, not making any judgments on the veracity of what was posted. It could be 100% true. It doesn't make a difference to how terrible the article was. (Or how worthless CR's reply was.)

Well... dating and timing things has weight legally. If I am getting harassed at work, and I document every instance of it, down to the date and time of day that it happened, and then I lodge a complaint, sure it's he said she said but the fact that I documented the shit out of everything and took the effort to do that actually carries legal weight.

Humans are terrible at pulling random shit out of the air and making it look consistent. You could argue that Escapist made all that shit up and fabricated this entire response and timeline, but that is an awful lot of work to fabricate a story.

It doesn't actually defend the veracity of the people quoted in the story, but it does defend the "veracity" of the author.

I really don't doubt that the author was contacted by 9 people. 7 people contacting the same author in a 1-2 day period is pretty significant: that means that there was communication going on among the sources. I believe beyond a reasonable doubt that current employees were among the sources. That tends to suggest to me, but is conjecture, that straight up lines of bullshit coordinated among all 9 sources is unlikely. Current workers, even disgruntled workers, probably wouldn't be eager to torpedo their paychecks by sinking the company.

The veracity of those sources isn't established 100%. I'd put it at "preponderance of evidence" level though. Not beyond a reasonable doubt but still pretty convincing.

News Comments > Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources
26. Re: Escapist Defends Star Citizen Sources Oct 3, 2015, 00:10 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 20:04:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:54:
Derek Smart! Derek Smart! Derek Smart!

Invoking Cthulhu should never be done in jest.

Summon Cthulhu should never be cast unless you know and are ready to cast the Bind Cthulhu spell.

Or better yet, have someone else who can cast it because you may go insane or be eaten before you can cast it.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Change Plans
2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Combat Change Plans Oct 2, 2015, 19:32 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 2, 2015, 19:13:
Hey if it worked for Matrix Online...

Hey if it worked for Star Wars once...
/Sarcasm

News Comments > Star Citizen's $900 Ship
194. Re: Star Citizen's $900 Ship Oct 2, 2015, 00:20 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 22:34:
Creston wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 20:51:
Zor wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 15:45:
But you should also be fair and start doing similar posts about every other crowd funded project and kickstarter that has "eye popping" pledge choices.

Just look at the recent BattleTech KS. $2000? $4000? $10,000?

Coming from a studio that has delivered two complete games (Can't remember off the top of my head if they did a third kickstarter? For a card game or something?) that have been extremely well received, that were delivered on time and on budget, and where all the pledge rewards were promptly delivered.

So yeah, really great comparison to the reality show that is Star Citizen...

His comparison is valid though. I think his complaint was that Blue took the price for the fully maxed Endeavor, instead of providing the range of everything that's being made available, i.e. $350 to $900. That's like mentioning the KS for BT is $10000, without mentioning that it starts at $5 and goes up to $10000.

Except that according to my kickstarter page, there already *was* a 10,000 pledge level. If we're going to be precise.

News Comments > Star Citizen Employees "Speak Out"
24. Re: Star Citizen Employees Oct 1, 2015, 18:59 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 1, 2015, 18:50:
We're talking about claims made by anonymous individuals. It's quite easy for misinformation to spread. For instance, most employees aren't going to be given access to the company's financial records - that tends to be hearsay.

Let me be clear, I'm not dismissing the allegations. I'm just understandably sceptical.

Someone didn't read the article.

9 sources. 9. 7 of them identified themselves and weren't anonymous. 2 were and weren't quoted, they were used to help verify the other 7. Reading the story and you keep seeing statements like "all sources were consistent" and "we frequently heard from all sources".

So let me ask you this.

If you're not seeing the writing on the wall, what is your level of proof before you admit something fucked up is happening? Because there's a mountain of evidence that something is rotten in the state of Denmark, but you keep invoking skepticism. And that's okay, so long as you have a threshold of proof that has to be overcome. Otherwise you're not a skeptic, you're just a zealot.

For example. If CIG doesn't get a big cash boost and manages to exist 9 months from now without massive layoffs, I'll probably admit I was wrong. If they deliver Squadron 42 or significant evidence that it's nearly done in... say... a year? I'll definitely say I was wrong. I have a threshold where I'll amend my statements.

2750 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo