Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2767 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Launch Schedule
11. Re: StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Launch Schedule Nov 6, 2015, 17:50 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 12:02:

If you'd ask me what an actual good RTS is, I'd still say world in conflict.

Oh yeah World in Conflict was pretty good.

At it's time Company of Heroes was pretty badass too. De-emphasis on base building was a smart move. I had some pretty sweaty moments playing through that game and some of it's expansions.

SC2 was boring to me too. It was highly polished but I never actually ended up having *fun* playing it. Contrast that to say Red Alert 2 and I can still go back and play the shit out of that today.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 5, 2015, 12:04 Flatline

wtf_man wrote on Nov 5, 2015, 09:59:
Uninstalling the offending system packages with DISM (for making an install image) or Install_WIM_Tweak (For an OS already installed) is the only way to be sure.

Completely eradicate Telemetry Defender One-drive Cortana and other things

Ripley Effect - AKA "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

I can totally see a scenario where MS frags your install for not having those modules active.

Actually I can totally see MS fragging your install if you don't receive a periodic update from the telemetry servers. We'll see if they decide to do that.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 2, 2015, 19:54 Flatline

I was really excited and really playing with the idea of getting a dev kit for Occulus Rift but holy fuckballs this is a long-ass drawn out POS dev cycle.

I have lost all interest in it. In the 3 years I've been waiting for it to come out I've moved on to other stuff.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
61. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 26, 2015, 11:15 Flatline

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 08:38:
CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 26, 2015, 05:37:
They already haven't. CIG have broken Kickstarter promises left, right and center and, yeah, there will be way more to come when you really sit down and compare the entire pitch/stretch goal list to whatever will be playable one day.
What are these promises that CIG has supposedly broken? I've been following since the original Kickstarter and am not aware of any. Delays don't count, as they were only estimates and it was stated from the beginning that delays were likely. In fact the game has expanded to such a degree that backers are getting substantially more than was originally promised.

Biggest one for me was promising a more WW2-style space sim control scheme and then from the first iteration it was this strange mess that we have now.

That was actually probably my original point of where I started to feel uneasy.

Other than that, yeah LTI and "limited edition" ships. There's a few other relatively minor things. But pitching the basic control scheme as one thing and then going in the totally opposite direction is pretty high on my list.

News Comments > New Star Citizen Alpha
51. Re: New Star Citizen Alpha Oct 25, 2015, 17:00 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 13:23:
SpectralMeat wrote on Oct 25, 2015, 09:04:
I love it when people talk about ELite Dangerous not delivering because one thing they've promised was cut. Nevermind about everything else. Some of you guys need a serious reality check.
Or just quit this whole gaming as a hobby thing because it is clearly not for you. Try bingo or chess or some shit like that.

I tell you I'm going out to get a mushroom, pepper, and sausage pizza, and you give me $10. And I bring back a mushroom and pepper pizza with no sausage, you'd be fine with that? And if you complain, I can tell you I delivered everything else so shut your pizza piehole? And just quit this whole pizza-eating thing because it's not for you? Try a Hot Pocket or Pop Tart or some shit like that?

I wouldn't complain nearly a year later or whenever pizza was mentioned to be honest. That'd just make me an unreasonable prick.

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
3. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Oct 24, 2015, 04:10 Flatline

Looks like Mook Mode from the old Opera mod for Half-Life. Which was a lot of fun but that was like 15 years ago.  

News Comments > Falcon Collection on GOG.com
10. Re: Falcon Collection on GOG.com Oct 24, 2015, 04:05 Flatline

Isn't Falcon 4.0 the game that had the 300 page flight manual that you could beat someone to death with?  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 23, 2015, 14:55 Flatline

I still have never met anyone, in person, in America, who thinks "You know what I want to do on a Saturday afternoon? *watch* someone play Starcraft! Or League of Legend!"

I know they obviously exist. But I'd rather watch golf than watch someone play a video game.

I guess I'm just old.

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends Launches
20. Re: Sword Coast Legends Launches Oct 20, 2015, 15:23 Flatline

harlock wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 11:38:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 20, 2015, 11:15:
Being a mature gamer, I have zero problem starting at the point of not comparing it to anything and let it be what it is. Now if one doesn't it like it from there fine.

But NWN isn't in the name.

D&D is in the name, and it means something very, very specific. You can redefine anything to suit your own personal needs all day long. It doesnt make you "mature"... if anything it makes you "ignorant"... but anyways the thought of tooting your own horn on that does make you "laughable"

What you think of when you think D&D is not D&D any more. D&D is now a family of products centered around high fantasy now. It's not RPG. Yes, D&D at it's core is an RPG, but the name as a family of products is more lucrative than the idea of collaborative roleplaying.

News Comments > Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access
149. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 16, 2015, 12:05 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 16:25:
AmericanWulf wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 08:24:
Quick question for those who think they spent too much on MoCap and actors if say they spent 10 million (a gross estimate I have nothing to base on) and should have only spent say 5 million on. What does another 5 million for a better feature of the game (better actors) do to hurt the over all project if by what I read from so called none believers that this game cant be made anyways? If say 5 mill more wouldn't be able to help finish the game because they need way more funds than what they have, what does it matter if they have better actors if that back of the box tick brings in more players/funds? What else could in your opinion could/should they have spent said 5 million?

I would rather have had that extra $5M be spent on developing 20 or 30 extra systems for the persistent universe than on name actors. Or extending the story another 20 or 30 missions. Or a bunch of extra ships and weapons. Or some extra gameplay mechanics. It's a GAME after all, not a movie.

That was one of the original kickstarter stretch goals. Back then the community was small enough that it probably wouldn't have taken much for people to say "dude just focus on the game" and had it have an impact.

Bitching about the name-recognizable talent actually tips over on my list of "probably not particularly fair" things to bitch about.

Now if it turns out he did spend 20 million on the cast, yeah sure get the tar & feathers. But we knew that hollywood actors were on the slate since like... Day 3.

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions
7. Re: PAYDAY 2 Microtransactions Oct 16, 2015, 12:01 Flatline

Whiskers wrote on Oct 16, 2015, 10:43:
I'm surprised it took them this long to institute this stupid practice. They've been releasing cash grab DLC for quite a while now.

Edit: I was never a fan of their unlocking method either. You'd buy weapon attachments and then have to unlock them through the random card selection at the end of the missions. It was way more enjoyable to install the GoonMod, which let you just buy the attachments you wanted.

ME neither.

Was there ever any mods that actually made your teammate AI a little smarter? I wasn't a big fan of playing the game online but playing it offline is damn near impossible due to how stupid the AI is.

79. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 15:51 Flatline

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 14:57:
Whatever it was, it was WAY too much spent on the voice actors when there are a ton of out of work actors who would do just as good a job for a lot less money.

This studio is throwing money away on everything, it is like they have no one minding the pocketbook and if someone was fiscally responsible they have long ago left the sinking ship.

Well now to be fair the name recognition voice actors/liknesses were one of the original KS stretch goals and *nobody* bitched back then.

So to bitch about it now is a little disingenuous.

66. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 14:44 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 12:56:
JoeNapalm wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 12:32:
So, did you just completely make all of that up, or...?

Yeah, yeah you did. You totally did.

And then calling it "conservative" is a nice touch. Bold. Very bold.

Well of course it's completely made up. That's what "estimated total" implies. Please tell me you know what "estimated" means?

Sorry man estimated usually is based on some experience with reality. That was more like an ass-pull. SC has problems but I don't think a drunken idiot would spend half their budget just on voice talent when they could get better voice talent and name recognition for half the cost.

65. Re: Star Citizen Has 1M Backers; More Get Alpha Access Oct 14, 2015, 14:39 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 11:40:
Dreagon wrote on Oct 14, 2015, 11:09:
I wonder how much of that money they're wasting on big actors?

Figure about 4-5 million per A-List actor for 4 months of voice acting and MoCap performance.

- Gary Oldman (5 million)
- Mark Hamill (5 million)
- Mark Strong (5 million)
- Gillian Anderson (4 million)
- Andy Serkis (5 million)

Then about 500k - 2 million for B,C,D-List actors for the same work.

- Sophie Wu (1 million)
- Sandi Gardiner (500k)
- Craig Fairbrass (500k)
- Liam Cunningham (2 million)
- Ben Mendelsohn (2 million)
- Ian Duncan (500k)
- Jack Huston (2 million)
- John Rhys Davies (1 million)
- Rhona Mitra (1.5 million)
- Gemma Whelan (1 million)
- Harry Treadaway (1 million)

Conservative estimated total: $37,000,000

I'm calling bullshit on this man. That is *insanely* over-priced.

Mainstream A-list actors get paid, tops, 2.5 mil for disney level voice talent. Tom hanks made 15 for Toy Story 3 and I think that's the record.

Union rates for voice acting work were, circa 2010, 750 dollars a day. Let's be generous and say 2 weeks of daily sessions, so 40 hours of voice recording. That's 30 grand. For mocap let's get really generous and bump that up by 100 grand. No let's do it 120 grand for 3 months or so of mocap.

So 150 grand for "union" mocap and voice work. Bigger names will ask for bigger salaries, but really I don't see them asking much more than a million for "top tier". Maybe 2. That's over ten times the going rate. And none of the actors on this list except *maybe* Mark Hamill have a very strong career right now.

While a lot was probably spent on the actors, I bet it was less than 10 million combined. Probably *way* less.

News Comments > Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed
239. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 13, 2015, 20:03 Flatline

Tumbler wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 16:45:
That's a really good point, but how is crowdfunding benefiting backers? Based on the project's health I would say crowdfunding hasn't benefited backers.

This is before crowdfunding: Star Citizen Pitch Video

This is with crowdfunding:

I think Angels Fall First is an excellent example of a game like star citizen built on a smaller budget.

If they'd shut down the crowdfunding side of things at the end of 2012 I'm guessing we'd be seeing a game that looks like Angels Fall First. The game they're showing instead I think is a big plus to backers and the crowdfunding dollars are the reason that can happen.

TIL: Chris Roberts looks like he's getting chunky developing Star Citizen.

235. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 13, 2015, 12:04 Flatline

Peeeling wrote on Oct 13, 2015, 09:56:
The point about the combat is particularly relevant.

Making space combat fun is deceptively difficult. Depending on your flight model you end up either in a space-based medieval joust or a zero-g Quake with no map, shooting at bits of HUD because the actual ships are just glittery pixels. It turns out that "Star Wars was super cool!" is not a design.

That's not to say it's impossible. Homeworld, for instance, was a great game.

Homeworld is an rts and not a space combat system. In fact, it seems like your entire post is suggesting that SC should be an RTS. I'm not particularly interested in that idea.

The idea that "star wars is cool" doesn't work doesn't understand the origins of Star Wars ship combat. It was based on WW2 dogfighting. And that *is* fun. It's been fun for 20+ years. And the memory and idea of it was still fun when I backed SC when it was claiming to be a slightly more advanced WW2 style flight control model.

Now it's... something really weird. But Kosumo was right- they went right to the chrome instead of refining gaming systems to make them fun. And that's created some really weird and vestigal gameplay decisions.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Oct 13, 2015, 11:49 Flatline

The days of War of the Worlds being broadcast like it was real news is long gone. If done today it'd need trigger warnings and little tickers at the bottom saying "NOT REAL- FICTIONAL- DO NOT PANIC"

207. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 17:17 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 17:06:
I wasn't one of those. I happened to be one of the few on the forums who didn't want stretch goals past 15 million and I made sure I voiced my concerns and criticisms on every stretch goal surveys they kept posting.

Most of Blues News felt at the time that it was a terribad idea to give control of the scope of the project over to the most rabid fanboys that amount to maybe 5% of the total number of backers. That's where the Space Burrito Hut joke started.

206. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 17:13 Flatline

LurkerLito wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 17:10:
Personally I stopped caring. If I get it great, if it's amazing, even better. If it fails, I'll be a bit pissed but it was only $35 so no big loss. After the above video I redid my numbers and they turned out a little better assuming the list of the number of employees is accurate. Still it's not that big a difference if they are really spending $3m or more a month now.

Those big name actors are going to be a wildcard honestly. I don't know how much they paid them but I am sure it was very steep. Just standing in a box and reading lines costs a min of $750 + extras (pension plan contributions etc) according to SAG rules, but this one has mocap, travel expenses, room and board if they aren't near the facility, likeness rights fees etc. I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least 6 figures per person.

As far as what was shown, I am not really that impressed especially with the SQ42 trailer even though it did look good. I still think they are underfunded for this game. Given they only showed one star system, they have to build 100 of them. Assuming they only have to build at most 25 unique and then Dragon Age 2 the rest by mirroring and copying assets between the unique ones, it should still take at least a month to make each unique star system. And that is 25 months out minimally (which if their spending is $3m/month right now means a minimum expenditure of $75m).

Even if they pushed out 10-15 systems at first and slowly brought more online I think everyone would be okay with that.

204. Re: Star Citizen Star Cast Revealed Oct 12, 2015, 17:07 Flatline

Krovven wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 17:02:
Flatline wrote on Oct 12, 2015, 16:43:
Technically you demonstrated a lack of comprehension when you completely got the definition of "ethics" wrong but hey who is counting?

Just because you say it, doesn't make it true. You need to look up the definition yourself if you think I got it completely wrong.

I did. From multiple sources.

You confused morals, which are personal, internal judgment calls, with ethics, which is the study of systems of morality among a population. Ethics are the grander scale morals that communities settle on. To say ethics are an individual, internal decision is wrong. To say morals are an individual, internal decision is more correct.

Edit: The distinction is kind of hazy, but the dividing factor in all like... 7 definitions I looked up is that ethics are more wide scale and not individual in scope.

This comment was edited on Oct 12, 2015, 17:12.

2767 Comments. 139 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo