Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3111 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Released
9. Re: Destiny 2 Curse of Osiris Released Dec 6, 2017, 13:38 Flatline

Asmodai wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 07:20:
Slick wrote on Dec 6, 2017, 06:09:
Oh and for those keeping track, D2 already has microtransactions for cosmetic items.

Cosmetic items are fine, PoE has been doing cosmetics for years (in sometimes very high cost packs).

The XP fiddling to drive people to the vendor and show little for grinding is far more egregious, you would have at least had a point about that... ; )

It feels like that got fixed. Of course, I level capped at 25 already on night one, but leveling feels *much* faster after you hit level cap. Loot drops seem to be higher rate too. In an hour I got more loot drops that I could use than in a full night of playing pre-patch.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ultimate Fishing Simulator Early Access
7. Re: Ultimate Fishing Simulator Early Access Dec 2, 2017, 17:49 Flatline

Wash Washburne wrote on Dec 2, 2017, 15:53:
Well at least the first video nailed fishing atmosphere right, lol. I can see this being a good VR title, other than that, constant rain droplets on my screen would drive me crazy. I wonder if you do ice fishing, does your screen freeze too?

I'd consider a VR Fly Fishing simulator. Might be fun for a few hours. You'd need some haptic feedback or something to actually make it fun though.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 1, 2017, 16:48 Flatline

Bard wrote on Dec 1, 2017, 12:00:
hahaha.

something as important as election votes can't be trusted to electronic technology. simple as that.

Basically this. CA still uses paper ballots. They work great.

News Comments > Star Citizen Land Rush
67. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 30, 2017, 13:41 Flatline

I'm not seriously accusing them of this, but with all the investigation about money laundering going on in the US news right now, it actually occurs to me that something like Star Citizen, with it's black hole black box funding, never ending stretch goals, never ending dev cycle, international footprint, etc... would make an *excellent* money laundering system.

You put your money in as a "contribution", and a "business" you own for... hell I dunno, motion capture let's say, gets a fat check every month for 85% of what you put in. Fans/contributors have no idea because everything is so obscure. Dirty money is also mixed in with clean money to make everything even harder to track.

I'm not accusing SC of being a money laundering scheme, but from the stories I've read concerning people like Paul Manafort, RSI would be perfect for it.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Ghost Comes to Alexa
4. Re: Destiny 2 Ghost Comes to Alexa Nov 30, 2017, 12:17 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 30, 2017, 11:36:
I can't believe people not only allow these spying devices into their homes but willingly pay for them.

Obligatory:

https://xkcd.com/1807/

Also yeah. When I found that google had permanent recordings of every "okay google" command I ever gave it, I stopped using it. I mean, it's obvious in hindsight, but I would have thought that they had like processed it for recognition purposes and then got rid of it.

But Google never deletes anything.

That being said, if I could say "Swap my energy weapon with a solar gun" or something like that without having to drop into inventory that'd be awesome.

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
37. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 17:02 Flatline

Devinoch wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 14:58:
Sure, and you could charge the $90-100 you would need to be profitable with such a game (considering development costs these days), and no one would buy it, or, conversely, you could make the game cost significantly less and people would bitch about how the graphics aren't up to snuff, and no one would buy it.

At the number of units that EA pushes of the Battlefront games, I doubt that profitability is an issue at a 60-70 dollar price point. If there is an issue with profitability, then it's EA's fault for entering into an ass-reamingly expensive license to create Star Wars games. And if that's the case, that's just bad business being passed onto the consumer.

50. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Nov 29, 2017, 16:55 Flatline

{PH}88fingers wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 16:05:
Flatline wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 15:27:
I wonder if ship sales are slowing down now. This is a weird thing to sell, at an awful high price point.

April 2017: $ 2,600,000
May 2017: $ 2,700,000
June 2017: $ 2,300,000
July 2017: $ 2,375,000
August 2017: $ 2,700,000
September 2017: $ 1,700,000
October 2017: $ 3,250,000

and I'm sure November will be much higher than those.

So i guess the answer to your question is "no"

October must have been a sale month. That's the only way that you can describe the discrepancy between September and October.

But still, every month, you're looking at around an average of 2.5 million dollars.

I have no goddamn idea how they do that unless they have 25,000 people donating 100 bucks a month to the game.

Those numbers seem really weirdly stable. The subscription thing is the only thing I can figure out that stabilizes these numbers because you'd expect sales to ebb and flow depending on when new versions of the alpha would come out.

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
35. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 15:58 Flatline

AngelicPenguin wrote on Nov 29, 2017, 14:59:
So are all multiplayer games like this now? Where the longer you play, the stronger your characters are?

The only multiplayer game I played religiously was TF2 and most of the items were just side grades, and you could get regular items by trading super easy, so there was no notion of one player having an inherent advantage over you.

I guess I don't get it. Why would I want to ever play a game where other players literally do more damage than I do?

Back when Call of Duty went Modern Warfare, everyone was jazzed about the progression system but honestly it turned me off. I had to grind 20 hours in shit public match-ups before I could play the game mode I wanted. I even had to grind to find gear that would suit my play style. At least then they front loaded some of the upgrades so you were effective from level 1 but this has been the growing way of things for some time now.

38. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 15:27 Flatline

I wonder if ship sales are slowing down now. This is a weird thing to sell, at an awful high price point.  

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow
21. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 28, 2017, 12:21 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Nov 28, 2017, 11:15:
-The first missions kind of explain the mechanics of Region Loot Chest, how to find Lost Sectors, How to do public events but overall it doesn't actually spell it out. "LOOK AT THIS PICTURE ON THE WALL" doesn't actually translate to "These are the lost sector challenge locations" very well. I think it could have been done better on the challenge screen

As a total n00b to the series, I have to admit that holy shit finding missions was confusing as f*ck.

I get to the Farm, get a mission assigned, and then nothing. Because I have to go into the director and earth and then the area I want to fly to. Which sort of makes sense but the in-game mission briefing says "take the ship you came here in to blah blah blah and do yadda yadda yadda"

The UI is kind of confusing in general. There were some moments of real frustration there.

Once in the maps, combat, moment to moment, feels pretty good. I'm enjoying that.

News Comments > Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow
6. Re: Destiny 2 Free Trial Tomorrow Nov 27, 2017, 22:43 Flatline

They needed to do this a couple weeks ago to feed into the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. 30 bucks or so for the game is not bad and I'm having fun with it.  

News Comments > Saturday Patches
6. Re: Saturday Patches Nov 26, 2017, 13:12 Flatline

Picked this up for 17 bucks for GMG black friday. Looking forward to getting into it. Seems like around 15 bucks is a good price point for it.  

News Comments > One Hour Star Citizen Video
34. Re: One Hour Star Citizen Video Nov 25, 2017, 12:49 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Nov 25, 2017, 03:18:
Here's a game for the 1% gamers with $4,000 computers. My potato computer would probably blow up if I went anywhere near that thing.

Yeah I've given up on the idea of being able to ever run this game. My priorities have shifted in the last 5 years and I'm not the type of person to spend a fortune building the kind of computer that can run this smoothly.

I backed for SQ42 and at the rate we're going we'll see that in 5 years probably. One thing these videos have shown me is that Chris Roberts doesn't particularly know what makes games *fun*.

Meh. Oh well.

News Comments > Loot Boxes Under Fire
20. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 12:29 Flatline

So when do we combine loot boxes with the dismantling of Title II ISP regulation/Net Neutrality?

Buy loot boxes from Comcast to enable access for 24-72 hours for FREE to over a dozen premium websites you'd normally pay 5-20 dollars a month for (This is for access alone and does not grant membership to any service).

Just 99 cents per loot box and you're GUARANTEED at least 1 AAA tier access card (Hulu, HBO Go, Netflix, Amazon video all qualify as AAA tier) out of a pack of 5 access cards. And we make the box really sparkly and shiny when it opens so that your brain squirts dopamines when you hit the feeder bar for a food pellet.

My god think of the money.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
14. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 16:29 Flatline

Dacron wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 14:49:
NewMaxx wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 14:47:
Flatline wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 12:08:
I've been meaning to ask. Is this game worth it? 7 bucks for the freemium version and 20 bucks for the standard version are tempting.

I played in the beta and was mostly uninterested due to how far away it was getting from the older games. Later on, within its first year, I checked it out during a free weekend with some friends and I actually really liked it. Picked it up during a sale right after that with no hesitation. Was a good choice - I have about 240 hours in it now. It's not for everyone but I would strongly suggest checking it out over a free weekend before deciding (we just had one).

I found the same (and am an old school R6er). The beta was meh, left me uninterested. After this weekend I ended up buying it.

Good to know!

Apparently I missed the sale. I'll pick it up next time it goes on sale. I imagine something will happen for black friday.

News Comments > Free Brütal Legend
13. Re: Free Brütal Legend Nov 21, 2017, 12:13 Flatline

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 01:12:
Highlight of the game is the beginning. Teasing you with Children of the Grave bass line for a good while and then you pick up the axe, and the the song kicks in. Perfect direction, something you don't see often in gaming, the build up and timing.

Yeah the Demo really sets up high expectations. Actually, the whole build-up to the first boss sets up high expectations and then the game rushes once past that.

Still, Tim Curry as Doviculous is awesome.

News Comments > Free Brütal Legend
12. Re: Free Brütal Legend Nov 21, 2017, 12:10 Flatline

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 23:31:
The game is HEAVILY front-loaded on awesome, and the story gets less "fun" and all serious as it goes on. I played through to the end, and it's alright. But if you've never, ever played it, play at least the first couple hours, it's a riot.

Apparently the game is only about 50% as long as they originally wanted it to be. If it had sold better it would have had a sequel I guess.

I enjoyed the f*ck out of it for what it was. The RTS game sucked. It was admitted that the whole strategy was to spawn a throng of dudes and go attack with the throng.

However, the art design, voice acting, soundtrack, driving, and beat-em-up portion of the game was absolutely top notch.

The game I think plays better with a controller than keyboard & mouse. I've owned the game on PC for a while and it just never played quite as well with K&M.

News Comments > Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists
9. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 12:08 Flatline

I've been meaning to ask. Is this game worth it? 7 bucks for the freemium version and 20 bucks for the standard version are tempting.  

8. Re: Rainbow Six Siege Reconsidering Friendly Fire for Casual Playlists Nov 21, 2017, 12:05 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:20:
W/out friendly fire how can the griefers grief.

Stand in spawn point choke points. It's why in Left 4 Dead you could pass through your teammates.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 20, 2017, 12:58 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 11:56:
And no Manson didn't believe in Christ, he believed he was the Messiah - just like every other whackjob cult leader. And no he's not in hell because there is no hell anymore than there's any other post-life fantasy.

Still you have to hand it to him. I mean convincing people you're divine and getting them to go out and murder because you say so is impressive. It's like suicide bombers. Convincing someone to strap a bomb to themselves and blow people up is amazing when you consider the vast majority of us can't even convince our friends to help us move.
Wry

I don't believe Manson believed he was divine. Maybe at some point during LSD trips he'd believe it.

Manson's "upbringing" in jail included learning how to assemble women to prostitute from pimps, Dale Carnegie's How to Make Friends and Influence People, and believe it or not Scientology. He built his messiah gig up explicitly to leech off of other people, at first women, and then men. He bargained sex with girls he could control for food, money, and ultimately, access to the recording industry where he felt he was destined to be bigger than the Beatles. And he managed to do all that at a time, and in a scene, where easy access to sex and drugs could get you into the circles of fairly powerful people. If you want an *excellent* look at Manson, and how he fit into LA and Hollywood's 60's culture, go check out the podcast You Must Remember This. Karina Longworth did a 6 or 7 part series on Manson and it is really, really excellent. I'd almost consider it one of the definitive examinations of Manson.

3111 Comments. 156 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo