Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3201 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BATTLETECH Trailer
6. Re: BATTLETECH Trailer Apr 11, 2018, 12:40 Flatline

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Apr 11, 2018, 12:35:
Did the kickstarter come before or after Paradox had publish rights?

Before. I think they announced Paradox sometime during the beta.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 18:59 Flatline

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:43:
Saboth wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 16:29:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:29:
I find almost all news agencies have their own "agenda" when it comes to reporting the news.

I don't care if they have an agenda or not. If someone is going to call CNN, MSNBC, The Washington Post and the rest "fake news", whoever said that is going to have to have some real facts to back it up. And no, 1 or 2 misreported or wrong stories out of thousands does not constitute an untrustworthy news source.
I am pretty sure you would see that differently if you were one of the relative of people who died in wars that were supported and even only enabled by these very media corporations.
Their agenda becomes obvious in times like these. Like today. Or like 1 year ago, when they suddenly all cheered for Trump because he attacked Syria, only to go back to childish and unfounded attacks when it was clear he wouldnt invade.

I think you're confusing pundits and talking heads for real journalism. Even at CNN & MSNBC there's significant journalism going on. You just have to dig for it and get past the bobbleheads that have to find 24 hour news content.

There were plenty of people associated with major news sources flying the warning flag when Trump bombed the Syrian airfield.

There's good journalism going on at these places. You just have to dig past the bobblehead crap which in the end is op-ed and not reporting.

Having to fill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with content that by it's nature is variable is difficult and honestly probably a terrible idea to begin with.

It might be doable if the news channels actually reported on more than domestic news but... *shrugs*

19. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:25 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:58:
It's never been anything more than trolling for views when you get right down to it.

There was a fairly brief time in early TV broadcast where serious news that tried to draw a line between editorializing and reporting the news was enforced back in the 50's. For a 20-30 years, the news was gloriously a non-profit endeavor- TV stations would frequently lose money on it. It was kind of a trade with the government- access to broadcast spectrum in exchange for beneficial fact based news and similar programming.

You can look up Edward R Murrow's discussions on television, journalism, and the obligation of networks to cover news. He was pretty outspoken about it.

That's actually why Network was a black comedy back when it was released. The things we take for granted now about the news was literally an anathema 40 years ago.

17. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:19 Flatline

Bard wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 14:05:

heh - i guess some people are so un/misinformed the obvious requires proof that people should be able to find for themselves.

Not all of us buy nutraceuticals from infowars.

16. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 10, 2018, 14:17 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Apr 10, 2018, 13:29:
I find almost all news agencies have their own "agenda" when it comes to reporting the news. This is what's spawned the term "Fake news".

I have a memory. Fake news literally came from the rise of Alex Jones and Brietbart making shit up out of whole cloth. and pitching it as legitimate news. They'd scream about it enough someone would report on them screaming, which would lead to Trump or some other politician quoting the story that covers the yelling like it's a legitimate story, and then Brietbart or Alex Jones or whoever covers *that* to justify that their story was correct.

And that accusation was starting to stick to Trump during the campaign because he was really bad about free form quoting Brietbart and Infowars and then making further shit up, but then he took the term and skull-fucked it into the meaningless phrase it is now.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 9, 2018, 11:56 Flatline

So like... instead of keeping track of all the racist vulgar pedobear horrible people on the Overwatch League, shall we just keep track of the decent people? It'd be faster.  

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 7, 2018, 12:01 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 12:34:
Saboth wrote on Apr 6, 2018, 11:03:
Looks like Trump and his court might make it so we all pay more taxes and bring about far more regulations and problems for internet sellers who don't have a physical presence in each state. Thought this was the party of low taxes and regulation? Guess only if it's a company who isn't writing unflattering stories about the child in the White House.

Uh it's a little more complicated than that. Amazon needs to be brought into line in all aspects of it's business. They're as bad as Walmart, maybe worse. You don't get to be the world's richest man by being a nice guy.

Except this has nothing to do with "bringing amazon into line" and everything to do with the Washington Post. Trump even admitted it basically in a tweet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2018, 13:32 Flatline

Rigs wrote on Apr 5, 2018, 12:22:
"Rogue One" Scribe Resurrects "Last Starfighter."

No! Leave it alone! Can't these guys just leave some things be? It's fine the way it is. We don't need a freakin' reboot/remake/prequel. I don't care how good the concept art looks!

Having said that, the concept art, for some crazy reason, really gives me a No Mans Sky vibe. Weird.

=-Rigs-=

I'm actually fine with a Last Starfighter reboot. I love the original but it's actually a movie I wouldn't mind seeing a different take on.

If it had the same commitment to art quality that Rogue One had I'd squee pretty hard. Plus, as much as I love the movie, the story was pretty simplistic and could use development.

I mean, it's just Excalibur in space. Centauri even says "I didn't use the Excalibur test this time, I used something called a video game" or something along those lines. Excalibur is the Starfighter's symbol. There's plenty of room for a reinterpretation.

I wouldn't mind a sequel with Lance Guest as Alex as the admiral/commander of the Starfighter fleet. Kind of roll with the establishment of the "round table" if we're talking in Arthurian analogs still.

News Comments > Mobile Intel i9 CPUs Announced
1. Re: Mobile Intel i9 CPUs Announced Apr 3, 2018, 11:45 Flatline

So are the i9 chips Windows 10 compatible only the way some of the newer i5s are?  

News Comments > Five Free Games with Twitch Prime
6. Re: Five Free Games with Twitch Prime Apr 2, 2018, 11:58 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Apr 2, 2018, 11:23:
If you have to pay for something to get something else, it ain't free.

I pay for prime for the video streaming and the shipping.

Everything else, while I technically paid for it, is added value beyond what I originally wanted. So close enough to free.

News Comments > Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free
17. Re: Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free Mar 30, 2018, 12:08 Flatline

Drayth wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 08:56:
I wouldn't say the whole thing rides on the single twist. There's some subtle elements like, EDIT -- nm, even while trying to be vague I felt like I was saying too much.

The "twist" is a tonal shift mainly. I didn't even feel like it was a crux of the story because Spoiler: Walker starts making bad decisions immediately. The plot intentionally blows past the fact that you're on a recon mission and aren't even supposed to interact with anyone- just leave and go get the cavalry if you find survivors. On retrospect, the dude is nuts before he sets foot in Dubai. You can see it in his obsession with Konrad even before the WP mortar thing.

News Comments > Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free
16. Re: Get Spec Ops: The Line for Free Mar 30, 2018, 12:03 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 30, 2018, 09:18:
The big "twist" in the middle is not a twist, because you have no other choice EXCEPT TO DO IT.

Well, sure, I guess you could say "I'm not going to do it, I'm going to uninstall the game I paid money for." But there's no choice in game whether you do it or not. That big button is there, and the only way you are proceeding is by hitting that button and initiating the Twist.

That's not storytelling, that's cheap, pretend drama.

Furthermore, the whole "You're shooting American soldiers the whole time! And you're an American soldier!"

Eh, yeah. You're shooting American soldiers because they attack you first. You are defending yourself. By opening fire on American soldiers, that whole outfit commits treason.

Legitimate question- Did you try/hesitate/explore other options before the "twist" happened? I'm willing to bet 99% of people didn't and charged straight into it.

Also, I'm going to point out that the "twist" isn't even really a twist. It's basically the tonal shift point of the game. And it's foreshadowed in the game. A lot. SPOILER A lot of the things you see in the game even before that point... um... aren't really there. You turn around and backtrack and stuff disappears on you. There's a *lot* of hallucinations that you suffer throughout the game that if you aren't paying attention you never notice. It's just after the WP scene that you disassociate your guilt onto the colonel and things go downhill faster END SPOILER

As for killing American troops because they fired on you... you... ah... didn't pay attention to that scene did you? I re-played it recently and was impressed at how a lot of the complaints about the story were actually me mind-caulking things to put my narrative in a better light. It also turns out that I was remembering the narrative my squad mates were helping create to justify our actions.

The ending is a little more heavy handed than Bioshock's "A man chooses" scene. And the story isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. A damn sight better than most of the stories that 1st/3rd person shooters offer up.

For free it's absolutely a should-play. There's a loving amount of detail instilled in the game and the story is better than most games you'll encounter. The 3rd person cover shooter mechanics are basically generic.

There's multiple endings too. When you finally confront Konrad explore some of your options. One of them is almost too weird to be real, and lends credence to a theory that SPOILER Walker never survives the helicopter crash in the beginning of the game.

News Comments > Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced
12. Re: Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition Announced Mar 29, 2018, 13:39 Flatline

ItBurn wrote on Mar 29, 2018, 12:37:
I loved the original Red Faction. It had great world destruction and had other pretty original mechanics. Multiplayer was also ahead of its time. Guerilla only has building destruction, which to me makes for a much less dynamic game and reduces the feeling of really having an impact on the world. Also, Guerilla's setting is bland looking, repetitive and mostly empty. The gameplay is in the same boat. You do the exact same cookie cutter objectives for what seems like way too many times. I also don't like the switch to third person and the overall "consolisation" of the title. I really can't understand why people can stand this game, but I'm definitely in the minority. I guess it had nice graphics at the time, but the constant generic-boring-empty-desert look isn't going to win any awards regardless of what this graphical upgrade can do.

Did we play the same Red Faction? Sure it had the "geomod" ability to blow holes in terrain, but single player at least it almost never did that, and multiplayer was okay but nothing special.

Guerilla was tons of fun. I just wish the AI and the hit & run mechanics were a little more developed and a little less Grand Theft Auto.

Zero Punctuation's review of it is actually spot on.

News Comments > Destiny 2 March Update
4. Re: Destiny 2 March Update Mar 28, 2018, 13:56 Flatline

So I played for a few hours last night.

Biggest change: Damage buffs and movement speed buffs. Even my titan feels a lot faster zipping around.

Damage buffs are appreciated. My pulse rifle exotic black hole generator or whatever seems to proc way more often.

Still no f*cking content.

The group I was playing with has 100% moved on from Destiny. I don't even log in any more myself. The raids suck- The Gauntlet is f*cking stupid. The game is a loot & shoot so they decide to make an end game raid a f*cking platformer.

News Comments > Destiny 2 March Update
2. Re: Destiny 2 March Update Mar 27, 2018, 22:30 Flatline

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 22:11:
Good, I've been meaning to go back and at least finish the campaign portion of this game, and I've gotten a little spoiled with the insane movement in Warframe.

Warframe's movement = top notch, however the grinding is a bit insane for me, I'll probably drop the game fairly soon. Also, infinite spawn dumb AI on most missions is really boring.

Where is the perfect Borderlands/Destiny/Warframe (with more weapons in inventory for use simultaneously) when you need it!?!

Shooty(FPS or TPS)/ARPGy/Insane Movement/Insane Story, there's a space for a few good games there, for the few of us who aren't swept up in the Battle Royale fervor.

I'd say BL2 loot, Destiny 2 combat, maybe Warframe speed would be crazy addictive. Played through the Pre Sequel and the loot engine SUCKED in that game. 90% of Wilhelm's loot drops were... pistols. Shitty pistols too.

News Comments > BATTLETECH on April 24th
7. Re: BATTLETECH on April 24th Mar 27, 2018, 12:10 Flatline

chickenboo wrote on Mar 27, 2018, 11:10:
please be good

The beta was pretty fun. If the campaign engine works well it should be a pretty fun mech commander game. I mean, the beta with it's like 4 maps and 15 or 20 mechs kept me busy for 30 or 40 hours.

It is *not* tabletop. Initiative is totally different than TT and the damage codes are jiggered around and a lot of the more granular options in combat were eliminated, at least in the beta, but it was pretty fun.

I'm looking forward to it. They have a gargantuan amount of statistics and player feedback from the beta. After every game you got a questionnaire and they took captures of the matches if memory serves. Hopefully that provides for a decent initial balancing.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 24, 2018, 20:12 Flatline

Oh man I remember Virtual World in Vegas. That was a great game. Expensive but so much fun.  

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2018, 18:10 Flatline

Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:18:
It depends on the activism, Prez. All the PC clicktivism and outrage today is not only stupid, it's dangerous. The far left is only fostering the far right. They're their own worst enemy. Just look at the recent German and Italian elections. And that's unfolding all over the globe. But there's plenty of good and necessary activism too.

You're example is spot on. I also admit their are causes worth fighting for. I just see no value in activism of any kind. Unless there is a figure head, a true leader. One who is respected and charismatic enough for his or her followers to actually heed what they say. And at that point, said person becomes a general in a revolution. Your run-of-the-mill activist is now a soldier, marching to the orders of the leader. There's actual direction. The body acts as one. That's how things get done. Any movement that lacks a defined and strong leader or leaders is going nowhere at best, or making things worse at worst, exactly as you illustrate in your example.. Today's movements, every single one of them, bare that out completely in my view.

So specific case in point that doesn't fit what you're saying. I'd point to gay marriage rights in the US circa 2010-2011. There was no one single charismatic leader leading that fight but in the span of about 18 months the entire political landscape shifted significantly and then was followed up with Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015 (it seems like a lot longer ago).

If I had to point to any one thing kicking off that 18 month timespan I'd probably put it on Biden going off the reservation in an interview and stating on the record he was in favor of anyone being able to marry anyone, and the Obama administration deciding not to hang him out to dry. It didn't influence Obergefell v. Hodges but that seemed to be a cultural cracking point.

The #metoo thing seems to have legs too. That doesn't have a leader per se, but more of a poster boy for everything the concept is against. Time will tell if it impacts the industry.

I do absolutely agree that coordination and an agreement of goals by different groups that might not otherwise come together are necessary to invoke change, and that with a charismatic leader or a handful of them that it's easier to bridge those gaps and get past the narcissism of small differences, but I don't think it's necessarily mandatory.

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
26. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 17:19 Flatline

necrosis wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 17:09:
Agent.X7 wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 15:57:
necrosis wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 15:51:
With how utterly abysmal the game was MONTHS after launch I have no damned idea how they are making a second one.

I would almost be less shocked if they announced a sequel to Evolve.

Yes, but if you log into the Division right now, tons of people are playing. If you log into Evolve? I'd guess not many.
Tons of asshole pricks geared to the hilt running around and killing people that just set foot in the dark zone.

An issue they NEVER fixed... or rather they half assed fixed that solved nothing.

The Dark Zone is not the only end game solution now. There's other end-game events that you can gear up pretty well to be competitive in Dark Zone.

News Comments > The Division 2 Revealed
22. Re: The Division 2 Revealed Mar 8, 2018, 16:21 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 8, 2018, 16:06:
Aaaaannnnddd yet another retarded, boring as fuck multiplayer grindfest. This is becoming reminiscent of the MMO heydays in the early 2000s. We really need a few solid flops in this area of gaming to bring the publishers back in line.

Destiny 2 is fizzling so hard that it might be enough of an industry flop on it's own.

As a bunch of friends were discussing, whoever thought that platforming was what an FPS needed for it's end-game raiding needed their fucking heads examined.

3201 Comments. 161 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo