Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 2897 (Senior)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 10, 2017, 14:24 Flatline

Firefighter: Did you burn down the building?
Pyromaniac: Of course not.
Firefighter: Great would you like to run the arson prevention unit?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TransRoad: USA Details
2. Re: TransRoad: USA Details Jul 6, 2017, 12:13 Flatline

I'm still playing ATS myself. Which is really weird. I know the California freeways pretty well and driving from Sacramento to LA in 20 minutes still makes me twitch. I mean... the Grapevine takes like 2 minutes to drive through. It's kind of surreal.

Maybe ETS would work better for me since I don't have preconceptions baked into my skull from a lifetime of driving around California.

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered on August 14; Price Revealed
9. Re: StarCraft Remastered on August 14; Price Revealed Jun 30, 2017, 12:25 Flatline

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 11:27:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 11:03:
Blizzard seems even more greedy than usual lately, and way less creative than the old days. Clearly that is subjective, but I think I'm going to stick to new games and skip the remasters for awhile.

Someone on here is going to be triggered by this for sure.

But I agree with you... yet I can't help but think is that because we're getting older and more bitter? Or is it because it's the truth and we have the wisdom to see it with clairvoyance?

I can't tell anymore...

No, Blizzard has had a problem with conceptual development for probably 15 years now. Mechanically WoW managed to innovate, but I remember original, vanilla WoW back when it launched and it was a Frankenstein of Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 concepts. Overwatch had some new-ish ideas (new for Blizzard) to it but otherwise they are really, really bad at coming up with *new* ideas.

That being said, I paid 10 bucks for the remaster of Full Throttle, so 15 bucks for a remaster of Starcraft isn't bad. I'll pass because I played so much Starcraft back in the day I burned out on it, but it's a lot better deal than, say, 15 dollars for one new character in Diablo 3.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 22:44 Flatline

jdreyer wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 16:25:
What are your specs? My machine is five years old and runs SC fine.

In fact looking forward to trying out the 3.0 alpha that drops next month.

I'm fairly certain it's either a problem with my motherboard or it needs an SSD to swap files out on, and mine isn't big enough to really store SC on.

News Comments > Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Video Tease
5. Re: Battlestar Galactica Deadlock Video Tease Jun 25, 2017, 22:42 Flatline

LC wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 01:57:
Any idea which series this is based on? The guy from the Ponderosa and male Starbuck BG or the guy from Miami and female Starbuck BG?

You can see a battlestar docked in the space station so it's pretty apparent it's the reboot. Probably the cylon war as mentioned above.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2017, 17:55 Flatline

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 24, 2017, 12:30:
As is normal, the cutterverse has no clue about how things work in the real world. sad

So if you shopped for wood in the 50's a 4x4 measured just that, 4"x4".

Why did it change. Is your average person born with this knowledge. Is looking it up really going to simplify matters. remember, measure twice, cut once.

The problem with this lawsuit is that Home Depot is going by government standards then, right? 4x4 is a reference to green wood, which will naturally shrink as it seasons. And the only time ignorance of the law is a valid defense is if you're a law enforcement officer, as ruled by the supreme court.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Jun 25, 2017, 15:22 Flatline

Ranger55 wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 12:34:
I work for a Fortune 100 company. Often times, while we have the cash on hand to fund big projects, or even parts of projects, we will still go to lenders to finance the projects. It is no different than using a line of credit. Do you want to blow all of your cash now on a server farm, or do you want to put it on credit and pay it out over time?

Derek is just envious because none of his projects ever had this big of a following.

A line of credit isn't quite the same thing though as a secured loan right?

I have lines of credit and I don't put any collateral up. Back when I ran a business I had a line of credit for it after a couple years and didn't have to put up collateral. I mean, maybe because there is no actual product and only the pretty ethereal ebb and flow of pre-selling ships a financial institution would see that as not exactly a guaranteed source of income and require collateral.

Now, on the other side of the DoomSooth Derek Smart, I imagine that putting the IP up as collateral *could* be used to secure more favorable terms for a loan.

I basically at this point consider the money I spent on Squadron 42 to be wasted and I'll never see delivery of a product. I can't run what they're building on my computer, which officially makes it the *only* game I've encountered where I can't do that. I don't feel like wasting money to get the damn thing to run either. I have other priorities in my life that I didn't have 5 years ago.

Even if they every deliver sq42, chances are I won't be playing it for a long time, since I don't see myself upgrading my computer any time soon. I figure I've been scammed either way.

News Comments > .hack//G.U. Last Recode Announced
2. Re: .hack//G.U. Last Recode Announced Jun 21, 2017, 13:10 Flatline

Weird games back in the day. Fun though.  

News Comments > Diablo III Rise of the Necromancer Rises Next Week
13. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 21, 2017, 11:50 Flatline

LiTh wrote on Jun 20, 2017, 22:12:
I'm a PoE type of guy (cant wait for 3.0!), but having played the necro for free in beta I can say its easily the most fun I've had in d3. Its expensive but if your on the fence I think you should go for it.

I've recently fallen down the rabbit hole that is Grim Dawn.

I'm... not sure if I like it or not.

But I'm playing the hell out of it.

News Comments > Diablo III Rise of the Necromancer Rises Next Week
2. Re: Diablo III Rise of the Necromancer Rises Next Week Jun 20, 2017, 22:08 Flatline

15 dollars? LOLOLOL

No.

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Return to Olethros Launches
10. Re: Space Hulk: Deathwing Return to Olethros Launches Jun 16, 2017, 19:11 Flatline

Asmodai wrote on Jun 15, 2017, 03:35:
Enemies always come from the same place, unlike L4D or Vermintide which are somewhat dynamic.

Apparently they fixed that a couple patches ago?

News Comments > Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans
18. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 14, 2017, 19:32 Flatline

Wash Washburne wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 14:06:
It's not that I hate the game, quite contrary, got about 150Hrs in it so far and loving it. Maybe I'm being selfish but I just want to fly and mod cool space ships and not pay extra for them, also how they split up original release and the release of Horizons, basically had to buy the game again if you wanted to land on planets but if you just bought Horizons, you would only miss out on the Cobra Mk4 ship. So to get both of the worlds you had to buy it twice. In a grand scheme of things I guess it's just an odd business model.

Huh?

Yeah it was mildly more economical to buy when Horizons came out, and I imagine it'll be the same for the next major content patch, but I didn't pay the full price for Horizons.

Well crap, didn't know that...guess be sticking with Elite for a bit longer.

So you've missed the thousand dollar cap ships and shit that has been sustaining Star Citizen for years now?

News Comments > New Brothers in Arms in Development
2. Re: New Brothers in Arms in Development Jun 13, 2017, 23:36 Flatline

I really enjoyed the original and wouldn't mind seeing a really well done reboot.

I think more than that though I'd really like to see a Korean, Vietnam, or even a modern day Brothers in Arms game. Using more modern weapons and different environments than the f*cking French Countryside. Again.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2017, 16:20 Flatline

NKD wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 15:24:
There's no way Trump can be that stupid can he? If Trump fires Mueller he might as well just resign on the same piece of paper.

Considering the amount of water the GOP is carrying for him in the House especially, it's not necessarily "that stupid".

I mean holy hell Paul Ryan actually came out and said basically Trump committed obstruction of justice but come on he's new at this give him a pass.

The only remedy against a sitting president for anything is pretty much impeachment, because it's questionable if criminal charges can be brought against the executive while in office. And prosecuting any subordinates means that Trump can just pardon them. This is a purely political process. So until Paul Ryan stops carrying water for Trump, he's basically invulnerable.

That being said, if Trump has two neurons in his head and access to unfiltered, honest media coverage, he can see the writing on the wall. The GOP, especially in the Senate, are starting to realize that he's toxic to the party. As soon as they repeal the ACA and pass massive tax cuts for the wealthy, his main purpose is largely over with as far as the GOP is concerned. They can dispose of him, *and* blame him publicly for the toxicity of their policies.

This has been their game all along I believe. I also used to believe that it'd be a race between the GOP getting their pet legislation through vs Trump consolidating his power over government. But now I don't think Trump has the mindset to see that and organize a dictatorial power grab. He literally just reacts in the moment, with little care as to the past or the future.

So if I was a betting man, I'd bet that Trump would be facing impeachment in the next 12 months. It'll go something like this:

1. McConnel has stated he wants the ACA bill voted on before July 4th. If that passes, that's 1/2 of the pet projects they want done.
2. You'll see a tax code overhaul by the end of the year. Trump will sign it to great fanfare and will strut like a peacock.
3. Late end of the year/beginning of 2018 you have many investigations coming to fruition all of a sudden. Trump's cabinet at the very least will be implicated and the GOP all of a sudden will start openly questioning Trump's judgement.
4. Trump gets impeached. It may be pretty quick. He gets booted out in time for the GOP to run in the mid-terms as the adults in the room, so devoted to the country they'd impeach their own president.
5. Pence is sworn in and serves out the first term passing the more cultural GOP agenda, which goes through with less public upheaval because he'll seem absolutely normal compared to the dumpster fire that Trump is. He runs in 2020 as having righted the ship that Trump capsized.
6. If Pence gets impeached too, then we swear in President Paul Ryan. See step 5.

Or...

1. The ACA doesn't pass the Senate and dies.
2. Realizing that the tax cuts are existentially based on the ACA repeal, the GOP pushes through some tax cuts, either middling ones permanently or big ones on a 10 year time frame to take advantage of reconciliation, and then cut their losses and prepare to maintain the house and senate in 2018, and step 3 from above starts in the fall instead of the end of the year.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2017, 16:07 Flatline

BobBob wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 14:09:
Thank you for that well thought out response, Flatline. It's intelligent posts like yours that encourage me to visit this forum on a daily basis. Thumbsup

No sweat this is one of those really weird situations that there are both easy and really goddamn complicated answers.

It's so messed up that Washington Post actually made a flowchart of what could happen.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2017/06/StepTwov2.jpg

News Comments > Call of Duty: WWII Trailer
4. Re: Call of Duty: WWII Trailer Jun 13, 2017, 16:03 Flatline

aka_STEVE wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 11:45:
SP might be great though

Both minutes of it?

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2017, 13:36 Flatline

BobBob wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 12:25:
Can Trump fire Mueller or is the story all rumor and spin?

I must admit I'm beginning to dislike even watching the news, other than to keep up to date on what my California politicians are saying or doing.

Yes but it's complicated.

He can repeal the regulations covering Muller and fire him directly. This would basically be a nuclear option. Bipartisan congresspeople have stated they would probably be able to overcome a veto if Trump did this and make Muller an independent prosecutor which would be way, way worse for Trump.

He can also ask the deputy Attorney General Rosenstein to fire Muller. At that point, Rosenstein has the option of requesting a legal and pertinent justification from the President and making a decision based on that, or ignore regulations and fire him. Trump may also decline to give a justification and order the firing.

At that point, Rosenstein would either fire Muller or resign. And then it would fall to the next person in line to either fire him or resign.

That would be another Saturday Night Massacre and would look terrible.

And if memory serves, unless Trump nukes the regulations, even at that point Muller would have 30 days to wrap things up and make a report.

So yeah, sure, but there would be varying levels of consequences depending on how much Congress did it's job.

When Comey vindicated Trump on being right on what was said to him - not being under investigation (after the news repeatedly had stated the opposite) - I'm trusting the mainstream news far less than I have in the past - and that sense of mistrust has been escalating since the total debacle on the election polling results.

I don't know if that's vindication. At the time of Comey's firing, the investigation had not expanded to include Trump. Yet. But they were investigating all the people around him and if dirt was turned up the next logical step is to investigate Trump directly.

And Comey wouldn't state it publicly because he found it entirely possible/plausible that could change at some point and include Trump directly.

As for the polling errors... It depends on how you interpret the polls. There was a significant chance according to 538 of Trump winning the electoral college but losing the popular vote, and that's exactly what happened. They gave the odds to Clinton like everyone else sure, but I think they gave like a 25-35% chance for Trump to win. And if you've ever watched sports... sometimes upsets happen.

A healthy skepticism of the MSM isn't a bad thing because they can go all ZOMG THE SKY IS FALLING over stupid shit, but a lot of them are doing good reporting.

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Announced
5. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen Announced Jun 13, 2017, 12:31 Flatline

Quinn wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 11:42:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Jun 13, 2017, 10:00:
I never got into Long War 1, but I found Long War 2 to be a lot of fun and not too difficult.

Long War 1? Long War 2? XCOM 2 lover here. What have I missed? Does it... make the campaign longer by stretching out your progression or w/e?

You never heard of the original Long War mod?

It took xcom and made it... well... a lot longer. Added intermediary tech levels and new classes. Made the game a lot more complicated.

I haven't tried LW2 yet, but I assume it does that. Which isn't quite my cup of tea because I found xcom2 to be already a little bit too long and tedious. The amount of missions where you're running against a rather severe clock just got to be tiring.

News Comments > Destiny 2 in October
4. Re: Destiny 2 in October Jun 13, 2017, 12:28 Flatline

Yeah. Money is the reason. You're more likely to get the game on a platform that your friends are on, and there's more money to be made, and a larger market, on consoles.  

News Comments > Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed
29. Re: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus Officially Revealed Jun 12, 2017, 22:44 Flatline

Icewind wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 18:04:
So the KKK is in the trailer working alongside the Nazis...

Guess the writers never got the memo that the Klan is a masonic organization and Hitler was vehemently anti Freemason.

Yeah but the SS had a whole made up mythology behind it and was willing to co-opt almost anything to enhance it's power.

I can easily see a "purged and rebuilt" KKK that acts as kind of an SS-lite organization. The flunkies who you don't want weilding real power but still have to give a job because their daddies have some measure of influence get shoved into the KKK as a backwater to feel proud over while the people with real potential get moved on to the secret societies that award power. Either that or it's what the shit dregs of humanity organize into to distract them from the real business of ruling.

2897 Comments. 145 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo