Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3372 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 14, 2019, 18:10 Flatline

El Pit wrote on Jul 14, 2019, 12:57:
And so we can bid farewell to the Bond franchise... Yeah, I know, angry old white man and so on. I don't care. James Bond is 007. End of story and end of franchise. Let them spew their hatred about "Russian internet trolls bringing down the great Bond franchise" after the people responsible for the franchise cut off its balls and are responsible for the end of an era.

Take out your SJW guns and point them at me - I DON'T CARE!

Eh I have no idea who the actress is. I'd have liked to see someone whose chops were more well known. I was a big fan of Edris Elba taking over as Bond for a while. Still am. Dude's got it.

I've kind of stopped caring about the Bond films anyway. Skyfall kind of was peak New Bond for me. I'll still watch me some classic 007 though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Division Single-Player Spinoff Discussion
3. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 14, 2019, 14:50 Flatline

I'm fine with it. The walkthroughs where you get the voice log stories were some of the best parts of D2. I miss the more story driven narrative of the first division anyway.  

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 12, 2019, 15:07 Flatline

Darks wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 14:23:
J wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 12:44:
I suspect the AAA companies stopped listening to the fans a long time ago. In a galaxy far away.

They sure did, look at Anthem, perfect example of why that game failed. Devs thought they know better.

Which is f*cking hilarious because the author calls out Anthem as an example of how listening to customer feedback can ruin a game, because they decided to make a game that would have good looking animations. Which, while a consideration, wasn't why anthem failed by a longshot.

The author has mistaken paying attention to hype and salt for actually listening to feedback from the fans. His entire story is undermined by conflating the two.

News Comments > Gone Gold: Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Cyberpilot; Specs Revealed
5. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 12, 2019, 13:41 Flatline

This is a rough time for me. I'd like to pick this up but between destiny 2 clan activities ramping up, Wolf2 going on super summer sale, and EDF5 coming out, I have no time for more video games. I'll have to pick this up on bargain sale. Maybe the winter sale.  

5. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 12, 2019, 13:11 Flatline

FTA:
BioWare has a lot to answer for, basically. Mass Effect 3 feels like ground zero for toxic fan entitlement. Iím sure the developer was just trying to do the right thing, but it changed the ending of its game due to negative feedback, bending its creative vision to pander to the baying masses.

Okay I gotta call bullshit here. This is some serious revisionist horse hockey. We spent 3 games, probably well over 100 hours, playing in that series and we were promised and sworn up and down that the ending to all this intricate storytelling wouldn't be the End-o-tron 3000 with a few levers to pull for ending A, B, and C. The whole artistic intent of the series was to give you choices that have meaning after all, and even in the 3rd game you had deeply moving stories whose decisions you made ended in significant impact.

But in the end we literally got the same goddamn ending with 3 different colors in it. That's not "artistic vision", that's shrugging and giving up and walking away. Mass Effect 3 didn't change the ending, it *added* an ending. The Game of Thrones comparison is bunk- If GoT ended at season 6 with a "and then a bunch of stuff happened" coda text, and the fans were screaming for season 7, *that* would be appropriate.

Deadwood is a more appropriate analogy to Mass Effect 3. It's clear that the story wasn't finished.

This story is bunk. It seems like he's blaming the customer for Anthem sucking, when we know objectively that the game was doomed internally. At the end of the day, games are entertainment and if consumers don't buy the games, it's not the market's fault usually, it's the designer.

4. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 12, 2019, 13:01 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 11:45:
Now it's time? Not before? It also depends on the genre. In survival games fan feedback is essential. Same with FPS'. How on earth is feedback preventing anything from reaching its "true potential"? Without feedback how would you even know what that potential is? You can't play potential. Feedback does not necessitate design by committee. It's simply a good indicator of what your target market is wanting. And that's how you make sales. You listen to what the customer wants, you don't tell them what they want.

Agreed. Destiny 2 was sucking until they brought the community in and had them consult on the game, and even then it took time to right the ship. Once Bungie split from Activision they started firing on all cylinders. There's some issues but basically every complaint the community comes up with that's legitimate and serious ends up getting addressed in some way that ends up adding a valuable game system to the game. People are starting to complain that there's just too much stuff to grind in D2 oddly enough. The addition of the Banshee bounties to add steady, daily enhancement cores to the game basically eliminated the last complaint I had, and I'm at the point where I'm finally going to light cap as a casual player.

The community is pretty excited about the next expansion drop and there's almost no salt in the subreddit aside from the usual X is overpowered please boost Y arguments. It's pretty impressive.

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 12, 2019, 12:56 Flatline

BL has always had *painful* beginning sections. Your guns load slow, you have no health or ammo, your guns can't hit the broad side of a barn, it's just painful and not necessary. I really wish that BL2 started say right around where you leave the first section and are on your way to Sanctuary for the first time. That feels about right.

Basically, upgrade either the accuracy a little bit or the reload speed a little bit and the game becomes way more fun.

News Comments > EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5 on Steam
1. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 11, 2019, 11:38 Flatline

EDF! EDF! EDF!

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces
We won't cut them any slack
The E.D.F deploys!

News Comments > Amazon Making The Lord of the Rings MMOG
18. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 10, 2019, 18:12 Flatline

MattyC wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 16:06:
Flatline wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 12:10:
In theory the artwork & CG that's going into the show might be used and therefore interesting but I'm so fucking done with LOTR. By the time the Hobbit movies were done my love for the series was pretty much exhausted and it's never recovered. I went from a yearly re-read of LOTR to having not touched my copies in almost 10 years.

Well it probably didnít help that the longest book was one movie with stuff cut out (most everything at the gate of and in Mordor plus the appendices) then replaced with 17 different ending points, while the shortest book was milked into freaking three films.

It didn't help at all. Plus the subsequent milking of the franchise is boring AF.

I still haven't seen the last 2 Hobbit films. I never will. I saw the first and aside from the kind of cool Misty Mountains song I was unimpressed.

I did see pictures of Orlando Bloom as Legolas and... yikes I don't know what happened but he landed in the uncanny valley for me and just felt like he wasn't a real person. I guess that's what happens when you try to make someone 20 years older than their original part look 80 years younger.

Edit: Admission- I neither own, nor have I watched, the extended versions of Lord of the Rings. I know what's in them and I don't need them. I'll go to the books for that content.

13. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 10, 2019, 14:14 Flatline

Bill Borre wrote on Jul 10, 2019, 12:58:
I'd be more interested in a tie-in to Wheel of Time at this point.

I'd really love to get a copy of the Wheel of Time game (1999) off Steam or GOG but I suppose since it's a licensed property it isn't gonna happen.

I bought it way back before I ever read the novels and it was... weird lol.

It was kind of a thinking man's shooter since your weapons could easily be reflected back or you could swap places with your enemy and stuff. It was neat. Weird but neat.

9. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 10, 2019, 12:10 Flatline

In theory the artwork & CG that's going into the show might be used and therefore interesting but I'm so fucking done with LOTR. By the time the Hobbit movies were done my love for the series was pretty much exhausted and it's never recovered. I went from a yearly re-read of LOTR to having not touched my copies in almost 10 years.

I'd be more interested in a tie-in to Wheel of Time at this point.

News Comments > EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 5 Lands on PCs This Week
4. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 8, 2019, 15:48 Flatline

EDF! EDF! EDF!

One of the best games I've ever bought on the PC. Batshiat crazy and absurd amounts of fun.

Edit: oh god yes that trailer is beautiful. Bring on the carnage!!!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 3, 2019, 17:54 Flatline

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 3, 2019, 12:08:
When Nature publishes complete nonsense in the name of science you have to wonder what is wrong with them. The world has more sand than could ever be used by any of us.

I know you *think* you know what you're talking about, but really, you don't.

News Comments > Remedy Regains Control Over Alan Wake
8. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jul 1, 2019, 19:08 Flatline

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Jul 1, 2019, 19:00:
I am very happy that Remedy was able to buy back the IP rights from M$. I really like American Nightmare and some of the first game. Let's hope that Remedy can start work on the unfinished Alan Wake 2 or come up with some else. Good job Remedy. I hoping you guys can move the Alan Wake series along now.

It was one of the better batshiat crazy Twin Peaks style games I've played. It made almost zero sense to me but was a fun ride. I would be down for more. After all, it wasn't a lake, it was an ocean.

News Comments > Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike
12. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Jun 19, 2019, 17:52 Flatline

I forgot what beta I got in on, might have been Beta 1 since we were doing lan parties at that point, but I remember one of the early bugs the hitscan guns would leave green hitscan bars behind as 3d artifacts. So you'd come around a corner and see this mass of green bars hovering in space and wonder at the firefight that happened.

Edit: Counter Strike and all the wall hacks and driver hacks and aimbots and shit is actually what put me off of PUGs and late from FPS games in general.

News Comments > The Division 2 Free Weekend
6. Re: The Division 2 Free Weekend Jun 14, 2019, 16:02 Flatline

Man if this place was any saltier I could preserve meat indefinitely.  

News Comments > Blizzard Cancels StarCraft FPS, Reportedly Working on Diablo IV and Overwatch II
23. Re: Blizzard Cancels StarCraft FPS, Reportedly Working on Diablo IV and Overwatch II Jun 11, 2019, 16:59 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 23:27:
Besides, while it may be true that Blizzard could easy churn out something that is 1000% the game that either Destiny 2 or Anthem turned out to be

I seriously doubt it TBH. Maybe early 2000's Blizzard could, with time, make the ultimate looter-shooter, but current Blizzard couldn't do it.

News Comments > Blizzard Cancels StarCraft FPS, Reportedly Working on Diablo IV and Overwatch II
22. Re: Blizzard Cancels StarCraft FPS, Reportedly Working on Diablo IV and Overwatch II Jun 11, 2019, 16:56 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 04:11:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 03:34:
Back 7 years ago, I might have cared. I like Diablo 3, but I think they could easily just improve the graphics of that and add new areas, classes, new level range (to 100) new skills and new items and it'd sell like hot butter on a stove. Also I will happily say it again whenever Diablo is mentioned but this game more than anything else needs some emergent dynamic element, like a companion beast you can level by feeding it legendaries and that then goes to fight other legendary enemies.. or whatever. Just something dynamic. The game world in Diablo 1-3 is just way too static.

They will fuck it up. Diablo3 is three steps back compared to Diablo2. I can't see the Blizzard of today capturing the gameplay or the atmosphere of the original two games unless they do a complete 180 and hire a lead developer who actually played and LOVED those games.

This will never happen.

I'll give the dev team for Reaper of Souls some credit they did a lot to right the ship. If they had been given another 1-2 expansions I think D3 would have ended up more solid. However that never happened. I'd be warily interested in that team getting Diablo 4 access but overwatch 2 sounds boring and pointless.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2019, Part 0
9. Re: It Came from E3 2019, Part 0 Jun 11, 2019, 16:51 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 11:17:
Leper wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 11:04:
I didn't realize the Avengers were even competing.

After that trailer, they aren't even running for the selection process to compete.

I dunno first thing I thought was "Why is John Hamm playing Captain America?" when I saw that picture in the article.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Date
49. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Date Jun 10, 2019, 13:41 Flatline

Kxmode wrote on Jun 10, 2019, 12:27:
A film must follow the rules established to gain the classification as a cyberpunk film. Cyberpunk is about people living in a society where technology, AI, body modifications all intersect. Where living underground is a way of life, it's where jacking into a virtual environment to damage, sabotage, and steal information of value is commonplace. It's about tapping into the underworld of seedy Operatives, and Fixers who mingle with the dregs of society for their profit. It's about mega-corporations who have so much power that they act as governments hell-bent on controlling nations for profit (not to mention armies to enforce their will... or provide services for a profit). It's about pushing technology to the limit of human imagination and people willing to kill to obtain it for a price.

You're literally confusing Shadowrun & Cyberpunk 2020 TTRPGs for the entire genre. By your own metrics none of the movies you name *actually* qualify as cyberpunk except maybe Johnny Mnemonic and Strange Days. If we expand that to fiction, 2/3rds of the Sprawl series by Gibson gets ruled out, along with most of his short stories. It eliminates Snow Crash and it eliminates When Gravity Fails and most other cyberpunk fiction.

CP is a dash of transhumanism alpha 0.1 and a world where life, conformity, and individuality are all cheap, disposable commodities and influenced by Japanese international business acquisitions of the late 70's through the 80's. It's a wider sub-genre than most people give credit for, because it's an attitude applied to speculative science fiction.

3372 Comments. 169 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo