Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3457 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > BioShock Speculation

17. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 13, 2019, 12:37 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 11:00:
Im one of the few people who never got into Bioshock. Im talking about the first game here. One of the most overrated pieces of shit to ever be ported onto the PC IMO. I think I must have played it for about an hour tops and then just uninstalled it in frustration.

Apart from the cool "what-if" Ayn Rand setting (which is kind of fucked up in its own way) everything about it screamed console port, and the whole terrible gunplay mechanics combined with the weird plasmid powerups *ugh*

I guess I came into it expecting to be blown away by a spiritual successor to System Shock, however it was nothing even remotely close to that.

So yeah I ignored all the rest of the games that came out after that.

Too bad. You missed one of the better narrative experiences of that decade.

Also, I found the combat generally satisfying and reminiscent of a more polished SS2. The first hour or two wasn't that much fun because of how much hoarding you had to do with both plasmids and ammo, but after a while the game opened up and became *way* more fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > BioShock Speculation

13. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 13, 2019, 12:28 Flatline

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 10:14:
I'm not sure if it was just me, but not sure if I somehow missed a huge part of the story or what in Bioshock Infinite, but the ending made no sense to me on how Booker was the father. And that being said i still need to finish Prey.

Let's see if I can do this quickly...

So... Realize you're dealing with parallel universes here. Lots of them.

So in one universe, Rosalind Lutece does research into quantum mechanics and discovers parallel universes. She reaches out into one universe where instead of being a woman, she was born a man. They learn to communicate with each other, and eventually meet up in the same world via a tear. Comstock uses their technology to peek into the future and into parallel realities (this is what racks his body with cancer and leaves him sterile). Wanting a child, he looks at parallel universes and finds an alternate version of himself, who has a daughter, and lots of gambling debts. He pays off Booker, takes the daughter, and as you see, the daughter's pinky is cut off as the tear closes. Because Elizabeth's body is occupying 2 universes at once she can create tears. Probably. They never make that explicit.

Edit: An important thing about tear jumping is that eventually your memory changes and kind of molds to the reality you've jumped to, leaving two memories of the same "timeline". When you have two memories of the same event, you get the nosebleed as one of them takes precedence over the other. But the important part to remember is that you *can* forget when you play with tears, timelines, and parallel universes.

So Booker/Comstock. In Booker's youth, he was accused of being part native american and having divided loyalties. So he was particularly bloody and ruthless against the native americans he fought with. He also participated in the Boxer rebellion. All this bloodshed and really, really vicious fighting left him guilt-ridden. And so he came to a point of decision. A priest offered to baptize him and cleanse him of his sins. Every decision point in every life in this game leads to multiple parallel universes. Eventually this branches out into infinity.

So there are 2 main branch bundles to the timeline at this point. In one, Booker rejects religion and stays Booker, becomes a gambling drunk, has a daughter, becomes a Pinkerton. (Or any number of variants on this story. But the important thing to remember is, in all of these parallel universes Booker rejects religion).

The other bundle of timelines, Booker accepts the baptism and religion and finds god and becomes an evangelical. He changes his name to Comstock. In one of the timelines of this branch bundle, he meets Lutece, uses her technology to build both Columbia and the ability to look into the future/past/parallel universes. Doing this however leaves him sterile and wracked with cancer. But he's had a premonition that his movement and his progeny will at least firebomb New York if not take over America/the world. So he uses the Lutece technology to find a timeline where he has a child. And so he peeks at the Booker timeline bundle where Booker has a daughter, and makes Booker a deal to trade the girl to wipe away the debt.

The Luteces eventually discover the New York firebombing thing, and I"m simplifying but agree to send Elizabeth back to her original timeline. So they go to that timeline and hire Booker, again in debt, to "Bring them the girl". So he's unwittingly going to go rescue his own daughter.

Eventually Elizabeth figures all of this out and realizes the only way to stop Comstock, *really* stop Comstock and all the parallel realities that lead to the NYC firebombing is to stop *all* the Comstocks. However, as soon as Booker is Baptized, an infinite number of parallel realities branch out from there involving Comstock.

Therefore, the only way to *stop* Comstock is to stop the baptism. But just stopping Booker from getting baptized in that one instance doesn't prevent Comstock. In an infinite number of realities, something happens and Booker becomes Comstock anyway. So the only solution is to go back through the timelines of the infinite parallel realities to the point where there *is* no Comstock, which is just prior to the baptism, and kill Booker.

This is why Elizabeth drowns him in the river. But as a side effect, if Booker dies, Elizabeth is never born. Which is why after he dies all the versions of her disappear.

I *think* that's the most plain that I can make this. I'm not even getting into all the reality-jumping that happens in the game and if Booker is corrupting Elizabeth (each jump takes you to a world that's more grim than the last as Bookers' cynicism rubs off on Elizabeth. She says the Tears are sort of a wish fulfillment so she's jumping to places that she has influence over), nor am I getting into some of the other fuzzy stuff. There's some bad writing here and a few gaps in the story, but hopefully that answers your questions.

News Comments > Diablo IV Leak Revisited

6. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 11, 2019, 14:12 Flatline

phinn wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 13:46:
After the disaster that was Diablo 3 this looks awesome. The dark atmosphere is more like Diablo 1, classes and story more like Diablo 2, and kept some of the Diablo 3 gameplay elements. Basically the best of everything is going in to this.

Can't wait for Diablo 4, sadly it's probably still years away.

(To the haters and naystayers, you are wrong. This will be spectacular and Blizzard is not going to have any pay to win micro-transasctions they've never done anything to point in that direction even with OW being supported for years.)

I'm underwhelmed personally. Hopefully it's fun but I suspect it'll just be more of the same old shit.

News Comments > Diablo IV Leak Revisited

5. RE: Nov 11, 2019, 14:10 Flatline

Simon Says wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 13:12:
"Diablo IV will be the new era for Diablo and will be a game as a service."

*WARNING WARNING WARNING*

Oh FFS did I just wake up in 2002 or something this morning?

News Comments > Pro Fortnite Player Banned

26. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 4, 2019, 17:53 Flatline

HoSpanky wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 16:51:
I donít know how much ad revenue 2 million viewers gets you, but he was probably making a surprisingly good amount of money. Heís now thrown away. He had a posh job and was too stupid to hold onto it.

10,000 concurrent viewers on twitch nets you around half a million dollars a year. 2 million subscribers on youtube works to I've read around 15k a month.

Motherfucker has probably already made more money playing fortnite than I will in an entire successful career in IT.

News Comments > Pro Fortnite Player Banned

25. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 4, 2019, 17:47 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 13:31:
Dude, you just kicked yourself off the easy life boat. Welcome to the swim or sink option most of us have...

If I found out he got kicked out of professional gaming for cheating I wouldn't hire his ass to do much more than a mop job.

News Comments > etc.

4. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 4, 2019, 13:07 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 11:08:
Regardless of your thoughts on the site, it's always frustrating to see private equity firms come in and try to vulture a company by bleeding it dry. They take management fees, make short term decisions, and leave a corpse. The PE firm makes profits, as do its owners, but the employees and consumers get shafted.

Nice to see that the new G/O employees aren't willing to slowly die, and instead pulling the plug quickly and leaving the PE firm with nothing to pillage.

Agreed, although we all know that in the end Kotaku will toe the line if any group will.

What I don't understand is why do modern browsers still fucking support auto play of video? It's fucking the bane of my existence. They *can't* work for product visibility, I've never had one of those POS ads start up and been like "huh.. I'm going to watch this!" It's more like "oh god stop it fuck stop it fuck you okay i'm closing the goddamn tab and not coming back if I can't stop this fucking video"

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization

4. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 3, 2019, 23:19 Flatline

KilrathiAce wrote on Nov 3, 2019, 12:04:
900 bucks for a tablet with black and white screen?

Right? What a fucking absurd "review".

I can guess that it might be useful for people who want to draw/sketch things. The refresh seems decent enough although I have no idea what the resolution is.

But as a replacement for either an e-reader *or* a tablet this seems to fail both. Nominally, a 13 inch screen is massive. I can't see using this thing as a reader as being comfortable. That's like coffee table book size for a lap, not for holding up and reading for extended periods.

At the end of the day you're talking 2 ipads or like 9 kindle fires or 4 or 5 kindle e-readers for this thing. It's simply in a different realm of price with no potential market.

Shame on Forbes for even pretending like it's anything other than the expensive curiosity that it is. I can only suspect that it's either a paid review or it's one of those things where the reviewer doesn't want to piss off the manufacturers with an honest review and so goes and does a mediocre "positive" review.

News Comments > Diablo IV Announced

8. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 1, 2019, 19:18 Flatline

RaZ0r! wrote on Nov 1, 2019, 19:15:
Gameplay trailer doesn't look as good as III to me.

They did learn one lesson- don't over-load your core game with classes- gotta keep the rubes coming back for the expansions.

News Comments > Overwatch 2 Announced

2. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 1, 2019, 19:14 Flatline

If I had to guess, probably the ability to play the new toons & the ability levle up stuff  

News Comments > Diablo IV Announced

6. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Nov 1, 2019, 19:13 Flatline

Meh.

Also in the gameplay trailer the dude is totally Deckard's brother I bet.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

7. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 1, 2019, 16:21 Flatline

All I know is that after this launch trailer for The Witcher I've gone from lukewarm to ALL over this.

It looks like they're taking a lot of visual queues from CDPR where the books don't fill in explicitly, and I'm okay with this.

Also, Tub Geralt gets a callout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndl1W4ltcmg

News Comments > Rumored Diablo 4 Details

19. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 31, 2019, 18:11 Flatline

Darks wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 16:42:
Better not be any more of the WOW type look and combat either. That shit just does not fit in Diablo. Needs to be more like what Grim Dawn is like.

A metric assload of abilities in WoW Classic actually came from Diablo 2. The whole Paladin aura thing started in D2. I remember how derivative WoW kind of felt when first playing it.

News Comments > Rumored Diablo 4 Details

18. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 31, 2019, 18:10 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 14:22:
When actually playing Diablo 3, it didn't seem full of rainbows, or bright and cheery, at all. I mean, one entire area was a plague town with corpses literally everywhere.

That was the expansion though which actually *felt* like Diablo.

Honestly I didn't find the artwork overly colorful. Color is good. Standing out in a busy screen is good. Some of the art direction was pretty good.

Killing Deckard Cain was unforgivable though.

News Comments > Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Launch Trailer

5. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 29, 2019, 18:21 Flatline

Two thoughts:

1. Yup, Star Wars Jedi: Walking Sim. How do you take a character type that is literally a swashbuckler and slow them down to strolling speed?

2. 0:40 into the trailer- nice to see Grace Walker survived Wolfenstein and made it to Star Wars

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend

17. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 29, 2019, 18:10 Flatline

Taulin wrote on Oct 29, 2019, 12:11:
ok ok, people...let's calm down. We all know by now that "Squadron 42" is the single player game coming out next year. "Star Citizen" is the multiplayer part that has no release date. That's right, it doesn't have a release date, so no need to point any fingers.

You must be new here.

I'll be shocked if Squadron 42 comes out next year.

News Comments > Overwatch 2 Announcement at BlizzCon?

17. RE: Oct 29, 2019, 13:52 Flatline

Overwatch 2: The Search for More Monetization  

News Comments > Morning Previews

1. re: Oct 23, 2019, 19:41 Flatline

Looks more like Jedi Stroller. Nice to see the Star Wars walking simulator.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue

4. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 22, 2019, 14:48 Flatline

Drej wrote on Oct 22, 2019, 11:41:
I'm excited for the last Star Wars. A lot of fans have become jaded against the series (for some good reasons), but I'm excited to see the ending to the current saga.

I'm mildly interested but not especially. It looks like the JJ Abrams ending is going to be Palpatine coming back and getting his ass kicked. Which is kind of cheesy to me.

I honestly don't know how you tell a good 3rd part of the trilogy after The Last Jedi. TLJ basically should have been the first movie, not the second.

All in all I'm far less enthusiastic than I was after watching Rogue One.

News Comments > Diablo 4 and Diablo 2 Remaster Rumors

18. Re: Retro Dust II Map Celebrates 20th Anniversary of Counter-Strike Oct 21, 2019, 16:30 Flatline

[quote="WitcherOntheProwl Diablo III's main problem was that it was a short storyline. I really didn't mind the way Blizzard did the game lighting/color. I am looking forward to Diablo IV. I really like the series. Just not Activison/Blizzard though. The company is pretty shady.
The art direction didn't bother me. The skill system was kind of limp, the RMAH was literally Blizzard trying to get in on the at-the-time real money for in game gold thing that was super popular, and OH YEAH NO RANDOMIZED LEVELS!

The difference between the expansion and the main game is night and day.

In the immortal words of the lead designer...
Fuck those losers.

3457 Comments. 173 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >