Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for S Westberg

Real Name S Westberg   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Flatline
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Feb 15, 2007, 19:09
Total Comments 3292 (Veteran)
User ID 34131

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service
7. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 14:38 Flatline

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2019, 14:29:
"This shit didn't work six years ago, but now, despite basically no upgrades being done on the US internet infrastructure, we're going to say it's much, much better!"

Aka the "Will you fuckers stop demanding to own games and start renting them permanently already, so we can just force you to upgrade whenever we want to!" corollary.

Basically. OnLive was DOA basically because it required a 30mbps connection at a time where people were lucky to get 5-10. But even if you had the (at the time) phat pipe to run OnLive at it's best there was still a noticible lag in controller input to response. I forgot who the shill was here that spent months arguing about render times and input delays and how we'd never notice because data transit time was faster than input processing and stuff, but at the end of the day, you still ran smack into latency.

I'm thinking about this and the only business model I see working within the technical limitations is to set up a business that was aimed at ISPs and not necessarily at end-customers. You set up racks or shipping containers that are self contained that you patch into metropolitan area networks, and let that ISP sell subscriptions to it's customers, and you charge the ISP a leasing fee to maintain the hardware, replace defective head units, and add to the games library. That way, when you jump onto the streaming game service, your input traffic isn't leaving the city, and technically isn't even leaving, say, Comcast's network. They can traffic shape or even set up a priority arrangement for that level of input. Costs for the ISP beyond the equipment leasing would be fairly minimal, since they'd be hooking into their own network and all the streaming traffic would be constrained to metropolitan sized networks.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service
3. Re: Google Announces Stadia, Their Streaming Service Mar 19, 2019, 14:26 Flatline

Last time someone tried this it wasn't the computing power, it was the bandwidth bottleneck somewhat, but it was the latency that really kills this. At some point you run into the laws of physics.

Still, if anyone can make a go at this, Google probably can to some extent. They have the infrastructure and the bank account to drop shipping containers full of servers near locations with demand, but that can't be particularly profitable.

News Comments > BioWare on the State of Anthem
29. Re: BioWare on the State of Anthem Mar 15, 2019, 12:59 Flatline

My friend was mentioning that Anthem is still having logon issues as recently as this week.

It's a bad time for Anthem to come stumbling out of the gate. Destiny 2 is setting up divergent faction play with the season of the Joker and Division 2 looks like a serious looter shooter. The Division dev team seems to have avoided the Bungie fuckup with D2 and kept improving proven systems from D1 instead of nuking it and starting over from scratch.

14. Re: BioWare on the State of Anthem Mar 14, 2019, 14:31 Flatline

Efflixi wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 11:44:
Flatline wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 11:32:
Darks wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 10:26:
Make it all instanced so that you can also see anyone who is in your group. Get rid of the unnecessary load screens and make the game more viable.

Have you ever seen a game eliminate load screens before? That'd require a pretty major architectural overhaul I'd imagine.

If a mod for oblivion and skyrim can do it, so can the original developers on a game like Anthem. It's obvious they do it for consoles, not because of any technical limitation given how many 100% open world games there are these days.

Skyrim eliminated load times in a mod? Do you have a link? I did a quick google and I saw that the models and effects were eliminated but not actual loading pauses.

Edit: Oh I see them now. Open cities/Open houses. That's just recompiling levels to make bigger levels it looks like. Some of the anthem loading screens couldn't be solved that way. Some could though.

5. Re: BioWare on the State of Anthem Mar 14, 2019, 11:32 Flatline

Darks wrote on Mar 14, 2019, 10:26:
Make it all instanced so that you can also see anyone who is in your group. Get rid of the unnecessary load screens and make the game more viable.

Have you ever seen a game eliminate load screens before? That'd require a pretty major architectural overhaul I'd imagine.

News Comments > Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support
7. Re: Windows 7 Gets (Some) DirectX 12 Support Mar 13, 2019, 12:13 Flatline

J wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 11:42:
Acleacius wrote on Mar 13, 2019, 10:45:
The only reason win 10 has more users, is because they gave it away for free.

Gave it away? They practically forced it upon people. Perhaps I'm the last remaining person who was bothered by that.

Nope. Basically anyone in IT hates Windows 10 for MS incredibly aggressive patching and data mining. The automagic upgrade to 10 was the first signs of a newly aggressive Microsoft.

Which sucks because the OS itself isn't bad. It's the SaaS model that makes us want to burn it to the ground.

News Comments > Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive
23. Re: Phoenix Point an Epic Games Store Exclusive Mar 13, 2019, 12:10 Flatline

I might be in the minority to not give much of a shit this is happening. I already have a bunch of different storefronts on my PC. They suck, but thems the breaks. Steam is... Okay. I don't buy as much on it as I used to (my current platform if I have a choice is still GOG), but I feel pretty ambivalent towards Valve these days.

Anyway, Phoenix Point looks tasty. It's on my radar and this might be what leverages me into the Epic store. That's the whole point anyway.

News Comments > "Spiritual Quake Successor" WRATH: Aeon of Ruin Announced
27. Re: Mar 7, 2019, 18:38 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 7, 2019, 11:18:
Are they retarded???

Can't they license id Tech or something to release something that at least looks like a real successor?

This crapfest looks more like a predecessor and not very spiritual either. Fuck off, 3D Realms.

Quake 1 engine *is* ID Tech (I want to say ID Tech 2?). And out of all the ID Tech engines I've played, and I've played them all, Quake 1 when running smooth has a completely unique feel to it that if this game retains it I'll give them my money.

Also, if you think this looks graphically *worse* than Quake 1, I want whatever drugs you were taking when you originally played it.

News Comments > The Division 2 Mobile Echo Experience (experience, experience...)
9. Re: The Division 2 Mobile Echo Experience (experience, experience...) Mar 6, 2019, 12:22 Flatline

MacLeod wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 11:46:
Cutter wrote on Mar 6, 2019, 11:02:
Fuckin' sleazebags.

Yea. How dare they create a free interactive experience to promote their game! *shakes head*

If it's a facebook app it's not free. You're paying for it, just not with cash.

I'm moving away from facebook because they're a scumbag company. I can't completely get away from them, on average, even aside from directly interfacing with the Facebook products, they're so prevelent in data collection throughout the net that on average a user will hit their IPs something like 75,000 times a week.(I can't find the article that I read where someone piped their traffic through a VPN, both mobile and desktop, and filtered & recorded every request to a Facebook IP address. Google & amazon were psychotic at like 250,000 requests a week. If I find the article I'll update it here.)

At this point I don't trust facebook at all. I'm proud to say that their data collection on me, from what I can see, is spotty and all over the place and not very predictive of who I am. I'm trying to keep it that way.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
4. Re: Social credit system Mar 2, 2019, 17:41 Flatline

This is literally Nosedive from Black Mirror.  

News Comments > Anthem Loot Changes
13. Re: Anthem Loot Changes Feb 28, 2019, 14:10 Flatline

Avus wrote on Feb 28, 2019, 12:06:
a decade old Borderland had better weapon/loot generator than this POS. This POS is a $60 free2play that still in early access...

Borderlands 2 basically has the best shooter loot system. Period. The drop rate was good, the drops were interesting, the escalation of weaponry as you leveled up was tasty, and the rare guns were interesting, the relic guns were all fascinating.

If Destiny 2 had the kind of loot system that BL2 has, it'd probably be my favorite FPS ever. I don't know why loot & shoot devs don't realize this.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 27, 2019, 14:24 Flatline

I doubt this will fund. It may I guess.

Honestly the most fun I've had in a hacking sim game in ages is Nite Team 4. Based on real world intrusion concepts, they've gamified enough of the the drudgery to make it a lot of fun. It's less logic puzzle oriented than The Black Watchmen, which is nice. It also is pushing out community events and stuff too it looks like, and I guess there's even user generated content out there with the hive mind module?

Lot of fun though.

News Comments > World War Z Trailer
10. Re: World War Z Trailer Feb 26, 2019, 19:23 Flatline

I really feel like World War Z the novel would make a great Bioware style RPG or even a TellTale episodic game where every episode was a completely different story and throughout the season(s) you tell the story of the war.  

News Comments > Bethesda Placeholder Countdown Video
31. Re: Bethesda Placeholder Countdown Video Feb 25, 2019, 18:22 Flatline

CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 24, 2019, 11:47:
Next gen consoles (PS5) makes lots and lots of sense, too. We already have a slight end of console cycle "burn-out/flame-out" slump this year which is not unusual. The video games market is expected to lose momentum throughout 2019/2020.
You don't release a system selling flagship franchise like TES at the very end of a console cycle and also not at the very beginning of the next one when the install base is still (too) small.

To be specific, Oblivion came out four months after the Xbox 360 launched, 6 months before the PS3. Skyrim launched in November 2011, almost 2 years before the Xbox One and PS4 came out. So arguably the last two major TES games were both launch and end of console life titles.

I don't think the conjecture here works out in either direction. While I agree that they're probably aiming for next gen, it's entirely possible that it's a launch title.

News Comments > Anthem Reviews
34. Re: Anthem Reviews Feb 22, 2019, 17:54 Flatline

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2019, 12:46:
Oh, I'd forgotten about this.

"It's contiguous," says Anthem lead producer Mike Gamble. "Once you're in the open world, you just run around the open world. There's no loads. Everything's contiguous. You have access to the whole thing."

There are fucking loading screens to enter a fucking ROOM that's behind a fucking DOOR, Mike Gamble, you lying quack.

"It's a PC Game made by PC Gamers for PC Gamers!"

Rolleyes

*Technically* they're right. Once you're in the open map and you *stay* in the open map you don't hit a load screen.

Go literally anywhere other than the main open map and you start getting load screens on your load screens so you can wait while you wait.

I remember in the original Starsiege Tribes someone programmed Breakout as a game you could play in the HUD while waiting for people to GTFO of the inventory station.

Anthem needs like... pong on it's loading screens. Or maybe a text adventure?

News Comments > Anthem Day One Patch Details
23. Re: Anthem Day One Patch Details Feb 19, 2019, 17:53 Flatline

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Feb 19, 2019, 16:30:
LOl the hate this game is getting right now. Is this the new thing? just hate every new game for the most minute things.

I played the open beta.

It sucked. I thought it was okay then I went back to Destiny 2 and it was like a breath of fresh air. Controls are muddy, the combat loop is unresponsive and anemic, it's pretty to look at, but what little story we got to see... well... blows. Moment to moment, it's just not particularly fun.

News Comments > Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Gathering Storm Gathers
1. Re: Sid Meier's Civilization VI: Gathering Storm Gathers Feb 14, 2019, 11:46 Flatline

My main problem with Civ expansions is that so many of them add late game stuff, and like, that's maybe 10% of a normal game.

Also, I think I'm finally done with Civ. Civ 6 was pretty boring to me.

News Comments > The Division 2 Open Beta Next Month
2. Re: The Division 2 Open Beta Next Month Feb 13, 2019, 12:50 Flatline

*If* they start Div2 at about the same place that The Division is at right now, that would be awesome.

I got my money's worth out of the original and the season pass. I dunno if my PC is up to the sequel however. I can't run Anthem well enough for example. I'll try the open beta I guess.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Feb 13, 2019, 12:48 Flatline

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 13, 2019, 12:27:
Im not sure I agree theglaze. IMO Overwatch is the perfect F2P shooter. It's more team based than most shooters of the kind, but that's kind of beside the point with a F2P game. I mean look at Apex. In anything but a well coordinated three man team, you will have a pretty rough time. This will only get worse as people get better at playing the game, and better organized with pre-made teams.

I guess what Im trying to say is that bling-bling, loot boxes and cosmetic styling trumps all. For an aging gamer like myself, I find these things disturbing and even sickening a little bit. Most of all it sickens me that microtransactions are the future of gaming. Hell, they seem to be the now of gaming. IMO they diminish gaming, because it's so much easier to cash in with a new "epic" skin than think up, code and implement a cool new game mode.

All I'll say is that it turns out Barbie Dolls are more popular with the gaming crowd than I'd have ever thought.

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2019, 16:56 Flatline

So glad I didn't drop money on this POS. I learned my lesson with Fallout 4.  

3292 Comments. 165 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo