Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sempai

Real Name Sempai   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 13, 2007, 11:48
Total Comments 850 (Graduate)
User ID 33180

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence
23. Re: Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence Nov 26, 2016, 21:34 Sempai

Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 17:56:
I never really get the "too little too late" comments that get thrown around whenever a dev tries to update a game that wasn't what it should have been at launch. If you paid $60 for the game, isn't developer support post launch a good thing?

Spot on.

Anonymous internet rage and ignorance.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > SAG-AFTRA on Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
9. Re: SAG-AFTRA on Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Nov 5, 2016, 21:56 Sempai

Cutter wrote on Nov 5, 2016, 16:21:
A company will only pay you what they feel you're worth. If you can't negotiate for better pay, royalties, etc. than you aren't of much value to them, are you? Major actors never have these problems. It's no different from a corporation hiring an exec over a member of the rank and file. Once makes a lot more money, stock options, benefits, etc. and the other is lucky to have a paying job. Learn to cope with it already. If you don't like it, go do something else. The world owes you nothing.

Ug..How does one even respond to this idiocy?

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Adding New Maps
7. Re: Gears of War 4 Adding New Maps Oct 30, 2016, 21:19 Sempai

In my experience it's an exemplary PC port, and the game is good fun.

However the new and improved(not really)Horde 3.0 mode is an imbalanced mess. Once again teams begin to run out of cash just trying to keep turrets up past wave 20, along with the insane amount of grinding it takes to earn in game currency to purchase their stupid fucking chest packs.

Hell i'd simply like to have daily bounty's(think Destiny) to run that i didn't have to pay for..

Of course you can drop $100 of real dollars on their super cunty pack from their in game store!

Another wonderful $60 upfront game marred by forced real money transactions.

News Comments > Watch Dogs 2 PC Delay; Specs
14. Re: Watch Dogs 2 PC Delay; Specs Oct 19, 2016, 04:00 Sempai

1st. Making and shipping video games is nearly impossible. It's a bloody miracle we get some of the great titles we do. I'm grateful to these talented, hard working people.

2nd. Delay it, give your people more time. If you can afford it, delay the mfer into next year and spit polish the dogshit out of it!

3rd. They say history repeats itself, but it seems games designers and their publishers today are either 10 years old, or have seemingly forgotten every basic fucking benefit of why humans have chosen to game on their PC's for the last 20 years.

Why in God's name does it now require your "community" to inform you of basic options like "uncapped framerates" and "FoV sliders" to be shipped with your products in twenty-fucking-sixteen? You are constantly reminded over and over again..

Why are you so completely inept at this? Are you all new, or just incapable of learning?

Edit: I finished the 1st Watch Dogs and enjoyed it immensely, even with all of it's flaws and stupidity from Ubisoft. The PC port was a stuttering mess.
I hope 2 knocks it out of the park, because it looks like a damn good time.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
35. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 14:04 Sempai

Cutter wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 11:54:
ForgedReality wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 10:19:
Exactly. I knew this would be a ridiculous waste of time too. Sure, you can iterate over a list of assets and put things together to make them look slightly different, but without a huge swath of items to choose from, you're extremely limited in what you can do.

Until we come up with some kind of artificial intelligence routines that create assets for us, based on a set of criteria and telling the computer what kinds of traits a lifeform has and what kinds of traits a structure has, a planet, a vehicle, etc., then allowing the computer to calculate all these things and randomly iterate assets from the ground up, there is no way everything will be 100% random. Minecraft managed to create something compelling because it didn't focus on lots of different kinds of creatures in the world. It was the world that was calculated, and that's a whole lot more easy to do since you don't really need a team of artists in charge of creating things for that.

Yeah, and how do you design a narrative around that? Machine builds all assets, designers than have to explore it and design a narrative around what exists? How? When you've got dozens to billions of possible planets to account for? This is the problem inherent with all space games. If you want size you're not going to get scope. Otherwise you end up with one of two things, Mass Effect where it's the illusion of freedom in which is actually a very small, controlled environment, or NMS/ED where you have billions and billions of stars and they're - ostensibly - all the same for all intents and purposes, and there's nothing to do but grind.

The best bet is always to put forth the tools to allow the players to create content a la NWN. Yes, there will be a lot of crap but the cream inevitably rises to the top. I don't have faith that an AI will ever be able to be that creative.

Agreed, although i do believe true AI is coming sooner than we think, and we should be afraid/excited.
But then we should also be driving around in flying cars by now, so i could be up in the night.

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Released
21. Re: Gears of War 4 Released Oct 12, 2016, 15:06 Sempai

And don't be a dumbass like me and buy the physical X1 version from Amazon with their 20% physical ONLY discount, because once you receive it you'll find out it doesn't support Microsoft's "Play Anywhere" feature.

Digital only kids!

Let's see, physical=disc mfg, packaging, promotional materials, stickers, delivery. Digital=a code. Yet digital is $59.99 & Physical is $47.99. Makes complete sense to me, really!

I was fully intending to play it on the PC@4k and let the kids play it on the X1, but nope.

Keep on being you, Microsoft.

News Comments > Mafia III Framerate Concerns
40. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 8, 2016, 05:06 Sempai

Burrito of Peace wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 23:52:
Quinn wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 19:15:
@Burrito

"No performance issues"? Some positive reviewers on Steam say the same thing. I don't get this. I know you're not an idiot, but it's an idiot statement to me. Every game that drops below 50 fps has "performance issues" in my book, with my above average rig. This game is locked at fucking 30 fps. How on earth can you judge its performance? It's like saying the guy hopping around in a potato sack is a great runner!

That's your personal preference, not an objective evaluation.

For me, performance issues involve continued, reproducible CTDs, lockups, graphical anomalies (blinking textures, popping textures, tearing textures, noticeable and reproducible slowdowns/stutters in reproducible events), sound anomalies (Crackling, static, missing audio, bad audio such as a mix being too tinny or bass heavy)...basically, things that I would be able to realistically file a bug report on with steps to reproduce the bug reliably.

If the patch comes out, if it removes the 30FPS lock and if the above listed events start happening, then I can reliably and truthfully state it then has performance issues. A design decision is not a bug or issue, even if I do not particularly care for it.

You could give this a poke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_gnCAUksAU

36. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 7, 2016, 21:54 Sempai

El Pit wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 11:54:
Quinn wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 10:49:
xXStellarDadXx wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 09:32:
Sad thing is im hearing the torrent version has no 30fps frame lock...and yes i did buy the game..

As far as I can tell, there is no torrent version online.

There is, unfortunately for the people behind the game. But I haven't read anything about it coming without a frame lock yet.

It's been cracked, and the 30fps lock is likely still in place, but if they do indeed patch it this weekend, i can now see the lost sales for them piling up in a big way. And it's no one's fault but their own.

I specifically had my finger on the purchase button, until i read 2k conveniently held back review copies/embargo.

I'm sure we'll soon hear 2K scream and shout "Piracy!" on the PC, and why it's the reason they choose not to fund the platform.

PC heathens! It's clearly our fault..

21. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 7, 2016, 03:04 Sempai

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 7, 2016, 00:51:
By 1pm EST a hacker will have this sorted out for us.

Lol, truth.

Jfc..

9. Re: Mafia III Framerate Concerns Oct 6, 2016, 21:15 Sempai

I'd be more than happy to support 2K and Hangar 13 studios, but they've made it clear how they feel about me as a customer, therefore leaving me no choice but to keep my wallet shut today. Oh yes, and screw your post release patch.

Cheers, A**holes!

News Comments > Dungeons & Darkness Released
9. Re: Dungeons & Darkness Released Sep 30, 2016, 13:56 Sempai

Pr()ZaC wrote on Sep 30, 2016, 10:46:
Seems a little crude...

And a bit 1994.

News Comments > NBA 2K17 Tips Off
2. Re: NBA 2K17 Tips Off Sep 20, 2016, 15:06 Sempai

Isn't this the first title to offer HDR lighting in vidja games?  

News Comments > Gears of War 4 Launch Trailer
14. Re: Gears of War 4 Launch Trailer Sep 20, 2016, 04:50 Sempai

Taking bets on what an utterly broken mess this will be upon release, after the 25gb day one patch..

Anyone? I'll be glad to take your money now.

Let me see..
1st response out of the gate from Rod will be "We're working feverishly to fix these issues and make Gears of War 4 the best it can be on the Windows platform."

2nd. We didn't realize PC gamers used Vsync or resolutions above 720p, we're on it!

3rd. We're deploying a fix as we speak to unlock the 30 fps cap!

4th. We're adding mouse and kb support asap! Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jfc, i could go on, but you guys get the picture.

News Comments > Quantum Break: Timeless Collector's Edition Delay
1. Re: Quantum Break: Timeless Collector's Edition Delay Sep 2, 2016, 12:07 Sempai

Quantum Broke Assed.  

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
29. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 31, 2016, 01:08 Sempai

128k eh? Alrighty..

And as i clearly stated, there is shimmering in some games.

Most the old farts i run with use 1440 & 4k panels, and no one I know of opts for AA due to better picture quality and the fact even gtx 1080's are clawing for every frame at these resolutions, which means anti-aliasing is usually the first to go because in my opinion it's garbage, and always has been.

8. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 13:24 Sempai

MajorD wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 13:03:
Sempai wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:59:
HoSpanky wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:50:
The graphics update isn't terribly noticeable. Turning on max view distance DESTROYS your framerate, and this is on a 1080. Now, I AM running SSAA 4x, so I'm rendering every frame at well over 4K. *Might* have something to do with it. But it looks WAY better in the close-field areas that way, and I'm not terribly worried about seeing the outline of mountains two zones over.

I doubt the new drivers help much at all, but I'll do some testing.

Question? Why run ssaax4 at 4k resolution? Other than typical anti-aliasing smearing effect and a dip in image quality, why run it at all at 4k? It's a significant performance killer.

I'm not trying to be snarky. Is there something i'm missing here?
One of the benefits of running 4k for me(for the most part)is the ability to finally get rid of anti-aliasing altogether for a nice crisp image without blurred colors etc.

So you're saying running on a 4K monitor, AA is overkill? Just curious, as I do 'not' have a 4K monitor.

For most games, correct. You get some shimmering here and there depending on the engine, but it's a wonderful thing to finally do away with AA. As you well know, It also free's up much needed gpu resources to maintain 60fps in games like Witcher 3 etc.

Yeah, for me colors pop again, and there's no shit smear all over my screen any more. It's nice.

4. Re: New GeForce Drivers Aug 30, 2016, 12:59 Sempai

HoSpanky wrote on Aug 30, 2016, 12:50:
The graphics update isn't terribly noticeable. Turning on max view distance DESTROYS your framerate, and this is on a 1080. Now, I AM running SSAA 4x, so I'm rendering every frame at well over 4K. *Might* have something to do with it. But it looks WAY better in the close-field areas that way, and I'm not terribly worried about seeing the outline of mountains two zones over.

I doubt the new drivers help much at all, but I'll do some testing.

Question? Why run ssaax4 at 4k resolution? Other than typical anti-aliasing smearing effect and a dip in image quality, why run it at all at 4k? It's a significant performance killer.

I'm not trying to be snarky. Is there something i'm missing here?
One of the benefits of running 4k for me(for the most part)is the ability to finally get rid of anti-aliasing altogether for a nice crisp image without blurred colors etc.

News Comments > BioShock: The Collection Videos
6. Re: BioShock: The Collection Videos Aug 29, 2016, 00:40 Sempai

"All grown up in 1080p!"

(Cough..already revisited them again in 4k@60fps.)

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown
15. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 25, 2016, 21:26 Sempai

We live in fascinating times. Everyone's remaster/booting literally every old IP that may turn a profit. Some good, some not so good.

It seems Gordon Gekko was right, greed is good!

News Comments > Duke Nukem Countdown
3. Re: Duke Nukem Countdown Aug 25, 2016, 19:03 Sempai

Gawd..  

850 Comments. 43 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo