Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Davis

Real Name John Davis   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Kash
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jan 11, 2007, 20:39
Total Comments 39 (Suspect)
User ID 33062

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Security Issue?
15. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Security Issue? Nov 18, 2009, 14:13 Kash

Regarding peer-to-peer and virii, well, depending on how secure they made their net code, it's totally feasible that someone could inject malicious code into the game packets. It's less likely on dedicated servers because dedicated servers would ignore the extra data as "noise," and not repeat it to the other clients, whereas peer-to-peer broadcasts to everyone. Netcode 101. If memory serves, that (along with the speed issue) are one of the reasons most popular FPS games on the PC haven't used Peer-to-peer since Doom II.

That said, I'm not entirely sure IW is using Peer to Peer as defined back in the day, but the basic principles are the same.
IW has gone on record as saying that they do not use broadcast peer to peer; the game is still server based, you just can't pick who the actual server will be for any given match. All clients (including the client running the server at the start of the match) connect to one member of the match who acts as the server for that game. It's listen servers, basically.

As further "proof" of this, if they were peer to peer as typically understood, they wouldn't need host migration because every client would always have a full current view of the match ala. lockstep peer to peer RTS games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Midnight Madness
28. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Midnight Madness Nov 6, 2009, 19:02 Kash

Sorry it took me so long but here ya go. link
Am I missing something? Where in there is the quote where they say the PC gaming community is dead? Or were you paraphrasing something else?

This comment was edited on Nov 6, 2009, 19:03.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Midnight Madness
19. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Midnight Madness Nov 5, 2009, 19:18 Kash

These lazy ass hats have come and and stated that they consider the PC gaming community to be dead in an interview about PC gaming.
Link, please? I want to read this one.

News Comments > Activision Proposed a "Ridiculous" Budget for MW2
18. Re: Infinity Ward: Activision Proposed a Nov 3, 2009, 18:24 Kash

Perhaps they should have used a tiny bit of that money to add the PC features, instead of pissing off the users of an entire platform.
Seems to me that the matchmaking and Steamworks support must have involved building a back end infrastructure they didn't have on previous games with dedicated servers. Ironically this no doubt cost a lot more money and effort to do than just leaving in the support they had.

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 MP Movie
1. Re: Modern Warfare 2 MP Movie Sep 1, 2009, 16:36 Kash

DICE? DICE has nothing to do with MW2.  

News Comments > Modern Warfare 2 Teaser Movie
9. Re: Modern Warfare 2 Teaser Movie May 22, 2009, 18:26 Kash

So will the multiplayer be more than tiny maps like COD4 where everyone is the same class? Will they bring us more than a twitch CS-like multiplayer game?
Er.. not only does CoD4 have multiple classes, you can create your own. Maybe you're thinking of a different game?

News Comments > Mac Geneforge 5 and Demo Released
6. Re: Mac Geneforge 5 and Demo Released Nov 25, 2008, 14:48 Kash

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this RPG has some very redeeming qualities, and some deep, involving storyline, but the majority of people who view this story are going to jump straight to screenshots, think "WOW, MAC GAMES R TEH SUX", and never look back.
I remember the story coming through about Aspyr releasing the Mac CoD4, and also a story about CoD4 and WoW being used as benchmarks for the new Macbooks. Not sure what else you want.

Also, Spiderweb's games are AWESOME. I've bought and played them all; they are very retro in terms of graphics but the game mechanics and stories all compete very favorably with some of the best old school PC RPGs. They're not being built for the screenshot monkeys, and I think that's fine.

Ironically, I don't even have a Mac, so I always have to wait until the Windows versions come out.

This comment was edited on Nov 25, 2008, 14:48.

News Comments > Wrath of the Lich King Release-Date Delivery
7. Re: Wrath of the Lich King Release-Date Delivery Nov 4, 2008, 14:22 Kash

FYI Blue, I ordered Fallout 3 for the PC from Amazon using release date delivery. I think that was the first Windows game to offer it.

Edited to add: Beaten to this by like...a lot.

This comment was edited on Nov 4, 2008, 14:23.

News Comments > On Infinity Ward's Future
7. Re: No subject Jul 7, 2008, 17:49 Kash

Regenerating health = consolitis.

Crysis has consolitis?

News Comments > id: User Content "Not a Huge Consideration"
70. Re: No subject Jun 25, 2008, 22:39 Kash

CoD4 is a heavily modified Q3 tech. there was an article by a infinity ward employee stating that exact thing.
If it's the article I read, they were talking about CoD2, not CoD4. Do you have a link to one that mentions CoD4 in a similar context? (btw I'm not going "Guh duh link or it's BS!!" I honestly want to read it.)

69. Re: ... Jun 25, 2008, 21:16 Kash

No developer would ever lie, then? Those HL2 E3 scenes WERE all dynamic and not scripted!

LOL, I'll never say to blindly trust a dev's word I've been around WAY too long for that.

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/493584
I guess that's wrong about CoD4's link to Q3 too?

I read the bugs reported at the link you posted. There's two bugs, A and B.

B doesn't seem to be related to Q3. At least, the bug report says it was only a problem in previous CoDs. If it was new to previous CoD games and not in Q3, that does not suggest a Q3 -> CoD tie.

The A bug only says that there was a function named "va" in the Q3 source, and that a similar or perhaps the same function with a much smaller static buffer exists in CoD2 and CoD4.

There's two sides to this. If it IS the exact same function, it's a trivially simple one - just the sort of thing you're likely to keep around from engine to engine even if the other 99.99999% of it has been rewritten. Seriously, it's like 10 lines of code, just a wrapper around a call to vsprintf in the C library.

Even if they did rewrite it (and I wouldn't have if I was them, it's trivially simple), they obviously have a lot of coders familiar with the Q3 code base. They would be remiss if they arbitrarily named it something different if it did the same thing as a function they were already used to.

Put another way, I've written several vector math libraries from scratch. They all contain a function named Vec3Add(). None of them were copied out of the Q3 source code

My perspective as a programmer is that it is easy to make assumptions based on seeing common names or protocols. People will keep similar functionality named similar or the same things, even across a complete rewrite. I'm not saying CoD4 is NOT heavily Q3 based or whatever, I am just suggesting that based on my experience we'd really need to see the source code to decide for sure how much it shares.

52. Re: ... Jun 24, 2008, 18:11 Kash

BTW, I'm told by someone in IRC that they also claimed CoD2 was a proprietary engine, even though you could find references to Quake 3 in the exe file, and OpenGL error messages despite it being a Direct3D game. So this wouldn't be the first time IW is playing loose with definitions as it pertains to their engine.
On some level this is all semantics. What do you mean when you say "engine?" In the not too distant past, engine meant "rendering engine". If you extend that to include gameplay and other asset concepts, the AI and scripting systems are totally different in CoD2 vs. Quake 3 (which I know from working on mods for both games.)

I don't know if I'd call the master browser protocol a fundamental thing or not - at some point given how many games were written to Quake 3's specs that set of commands becomes a de facto standard.

Anyway, I think we fundamentally agree on the major points and are really arguing semantics. We draw different lines about what "new engine" means, but I think a lot of that is because all the terms are overloaded to the point of implosion.

51. Re: ... Jun 24, 2008, 18:05 Kash

Oblivion uses a heavily modified Gamebryo engine, even though it has nothing in common with the Empire Earth games also on the same engine, I wouldn't say Oblivion is on a proprietary engine, unless we're using the term in comparison to Free Software.
Gamebryo is primarily a rendering engine, though, at least the versions I am familiar with. I think they've lately added a server component and a level editor, but before that they were fundamentally a data export (scene graph) and rendering library. I am pretty sure the "engine" as you seem to be defining it for the other games (AI, gameplay, console commands?) would have to be new.

BTW, I am not disagreeing that CoD was originally based on Quake 3, but given how far their games have evolved from CoD1 -> CoD4 I find it pretty unlikely that anything of great significance remains. I'd be very curious to compare how much is left in IW's games vs. (say) Source.

48. Re: ... Jun 24, 2008, 17:55 Kash

I also suspect that the master service query format is similar, but I don't have a concrete example of that.

The similarities fly a lot further than just a few file structure similarities.
Ok, so by your definition, since you still grant all weapons in HL2 using "impulse 101", HL2 is a Quake 1 game?

Fundamentally, the reasons all this stuff is the same is for convenience. Developer convenience (they don't have to retrain all their designers with new commands) and server admin convenience (all the same scripts and stuff still work.)

As far as it saying on the box that they use technology licensed from Id, they do still use a heavily modified QERadiant as a level editor. That doesn't mean that everything past that point in the tool chain isn't completely different, just that that is what the designers know, so why change it just for the hell of it?

Where do you draw the line? You can argue semantics all you want, but call a spade a spade - if CoD4 is a Quake 3 engine game, then by your definition, Source engine games are Quake 1 engine games.

Edited to add, just saw you say that you're not trying to claim CoD4 is a Quake 3 engine game. My points are simply as follows: 1) The box says "Contains technology licensed from Id Software", which could just mean QERadiant; and 2) If I were doing a new engine from scratch, I would try to make it as compatible as possible to what my existing server admins and designers already knew. So the fact that the command structure is the same where it doesn't really matter doesn't prove anything.
This comment was edited on Jun 24, 18:00.

News Comments > NVIDIA on PC Exclusive Games
56. Re: No subject Jun 10, 2008, 16:51 Kash

Can someone confirm this? I've curious how much each residual is?
There is no residual on game rentals. Game companies make one sale for each copy the rental company buys, and that's it. $0.00.

News Comments > Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Map Pack
35. Re: News on Steam update? Jun 4, 2008, 21:09 Kash

Not outrageous no. But seeing as they've sold 10 million + copies across all platforms...they can afford to give back to their fans.
I think they still deserve to get paid for their work whether they sell 10 units or 10 million.

News Comments > Crysis: No More Patches, Linux Server on Hold
21. Re: No Surprises Here... Jun 1, 2008, 20:09 Kash

This was bound to happen but I'm surprised they are being so BLUNT about it. I know they are pissed about the piracy thing but if they sold more than a million copies they shouldn't be such dicks about everything. They are only hurting the ones that actually paid for the game in the long run.

As far as I know, they SHIPPED 1 million copies to retailers. Shipped != sold.

News Comments > Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare PC DLC Coming
66. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 15:15 Kash

they had to release it, or somebody else would have just modded the quake3 editor to make it compatible. as that is all it's running on.

Yeah. Just like HL2 and TF2 are still running on Quake 1, right?

65. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 15:12 Kash

Of course, all of these people got their informed opinions after buying a legitimate copy...

Yeah, like the guy who said (paraphrased, obviously) "Still no coop? Still no sale. I sure did like the single player, though."

63. Re: No subject Jun 1, 2008, 15:10 Kash

If they are sick of how the PC community is being with their products, then they should stop making a PC version rather than making one and not supporting it.

I just wanted to point out here that they've released 5 patches for the PC version since the game came out. The 6th will be out with the new maps. I would hardly call that "not supporting it."

39 Comments. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo