User information for Michael Scott

Real Name
Michael Scott
Nickname
Rseman
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Aussie game freak. Like most game genres, especially fps.
Homepage
None given.
Signed On
February 19, 2000
Supporter
-
Total Posts
709 (Apprentice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

709 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21    36  ] Older

Re:
May 26, 2006, 06:34
Re: May 26, 2006, 06:34
May 26, 2006, 06:34

I'd probably buy anything that continued HL2 anyway, but these two video's wouldn't have got me to pre-order if I hadn't already. Lost Coast impressed me. These videos do not.

There's nothing I haven't seen before, except for Alyx beating the shit out of a Zombie. The same Zombie I mowed down a few million times in HL2. More worrying for me. I'm running x64 Windows and there's a known bug that's not allowing me to finish the Citadel level of HL2, so I'm just freakin' overjoyed to see this has parts of the Citadel in it. I can only hope Ep1 works at all.

The last Steam patch apparently fixed a shitload of bugs I never noticed. It didn't fix the Citadel bug which stops me finishing the first, which I'm more concerned about than anything else.

Re:
May 24, 2006, 23:37
Re: May 24, 2006, 23:37
May 24, 2006, 23:37

Well, apart from coffee which is dear to my heart... I've just been to an EB store and noticed SIN Emergence is $49.95 AUD here and I think HL2; EP1 was the same. From Steam, it cost me about $23.00 after currency conversion fees.

May not seem so cheap in the US, when a normal game is around $50.00, but it's certainly floating my boat from this end. I really enjoyed SIN Emergence, but no way in hell I'd have paid for $50.00 for it. Well, I would have, but I'd have extremely pissed with it, instead of pleased.

Re:
May 24, 2006, 22:30
Re: May 24, 2006, 22:30
May 24, 2006, 22:30

Don't have it on this computer, but I'm fairly sure the instruction manual for Ep1 includes a new movement for Gordon.... think he can go prone and crawl, which instantly had me fearing airconditioning vents in the Citadel...

I've pre-ordered and I'm hopeful, however.

Well, we've covered a bit of Ep1.... and the love of my life, Starbucks.... $6.95 for a Venti Frappucino here, btw. And now nin has given us AD/DC...
This comment was edited on May 24, 22:33.

Re:
May 20, 2006, 14:23
Re: May 20, 2006, 14:23
May 20, 2006, 14:23

Actually, when Valve got off it's ass and released a demo for the original HL, it was one of the best demo's I've ever played. Wouldn't mind betting the work they did on that demo gave them the episodic idea or vice versa.

Re:
May 20, 2006, 13:27
Re: May 20, 2006, 13:27
May 20, 2006, 13:27

I got my daughter a new Asus Laptop that's got WLAN and the battery in that sucker lasts just past 2 hours, tops. And that's not running performance mode. I had no idea that battery life was such complete and utter crap these days.

Re:
May 18, 2006, 13:00
Re: May 18, 2006, 13:00
May 18, 2006, 13:00

I like Samsung products, but I'd no sooner buy a drive of theirs again, than I would bow to the Queen. To be fair, I've only had the one, but it turned me off for life.

I've had bad Maxtors and WD's, too. For the last few years, I've always gone with Seagates and no problems at all, so far.

For my new PC, they were out of Seagate drives in the size I wanted, so I got WD's. By the time I built my Media Center, they had the Seagates, so I went back to the brand that's yet to bite me.

I think it's all pot friggin' luck, myself;P

Re:
May 18, 2006, 11:13
Re: May 18, 2006, 11:13
May 18, 2006, 11:13

Wal-Mart wasn't paying me enough so, seriously judge, they forced me to steal the Ferrari I wanted.

I thought I'd already encountered every type of goddamn moron ever created in my job, but then I read this thread.

Thanks Venomhead;P

Re:
May 16, 2006, 14:55
Re: May 16, 2006, 14:55
May 16, 2006, 14:55

lol. I was fortunate enough only to be killed by psycho cola machines.... maybe there's subliminal message in there and I'm missing it;P

As for the price I paid... I'm okay with it. The whole inclusion of the original Sin and all. Based on how much I enjoyed this, I'll be there for the next episode. But it will need to offer something more to keep me coming back. If this was $15 USD a time, I'd pre-order them all without a doubt. When I finished this game, I finally understood why people kept saying it was 'fun'. It was campy, it was silly, it was funny as hell in parts, sexist and just plane dumb..... which helped make it so fun.

The next episode needs to capitalize on some of what's possible with this game and the whole 'episodic' thing. They mentioned about being able to alter how it played, depending on whether or not you completed objectives or not, or did things in a particular way. I never really noticed anywhere that was possible in this game.

SPOILER!

I can't be the only person who saw Radek with Jessica on the back of the plane in the end and the first thing I did was switch to alt-fire on the machine gun and attempt to fire on those flammable gas canisters, hoping to blow up the plane?' They mention objective outcomes, here was a major opportunity missed IMO. Regarding SOF2. After you get in the car with Jessica and you go along the road towards SINTEK tower and the Radeks plane is off to your right, which I certainly tooks shots at. That was same as SOF2. The ending of the game WAS SOF2.

DooM3 blew me away with it's graphics and sense of dread told through the pda's.... HL2's story had me hooked and FEARS gunfights were a real thing of beauty. But as far as fun is concerned, I've not had this much fun playing a shooter since the first Serious Sam and you're in that courtyard prior to the run up to the end boss. All those bastards just plowing down off the walls and coming for you was insane. I got killed the first time because I was laughing to hard, I fell off my chair.

IMO the value of fun has been underestimated with a lot of games, so bring it on... just stop arming the goddamn cola machines with grenades!;P

This comment was edited on May 16, 14:58.

Re:
May 16, 2006, 13:13
Re: May 16, 2006, 13:13
May 16, 2006, 13:13

It seemed to me, that each machine would give out 2 of the small health viles, then every 4th item would be a live grenade. Sometimes you'll get secondary ammo for the Machinegun or Magnum and, sometimes, of course, you'll get useless cans of Cola or Grape... Ninja's love it and you should, too!.... Damn, that cracked me up.

If you stand at the side of the drink machines, the machine still works and you can actually see when you're holding a live grenade.

Re:
May 16, 2006, 12:19
Re: May 16, 2006, 12:19
May 16, 2006, 12:19

I've just finished Sin Emergence myself. Finished it in 3 sittings, but it took me at least 6 hours and probably more, but I used that graph thing to make sure I was exploring pretty much everything.

Some of the AI is pretty average, but there's a few very, very fun firefights to be had in there, depending on how you aproach them.

Some glaring clipping errors. Not being able to pick things up and having to either shoot things away from the wall with the magnum, or use the melee feature and bash them away so you could get at them. Those fucking grenades in the drink machine. I'm standing there, pushing enter over and over cause I need the health. Freakin' live grenades come out nearly every fourth time, but you can't see them cause of the clipping, so you explode and die.... several times... and you get really friggin' annoyed!

Whoever did the story for this, absolutely worshipped Soldier Of Fortune 2. If you've played both, this will be obvious to anyone, I'm sure.

Apart from being murdered several times by a Cola machine, I loved this game. The death animations are hilarious for the flying dudes and the comments they make when on fire had me in laughing hard. Lots of things in this had me laughing, actually. The dynamic difficulty is pretty damn cool, too. Near the end of the game, being able to look back to the right of the monorail and see where you started off and how far you've come was pretty cool, too.

I think it was Beamer who coined the term 'Meatshield™' for Jessica and it's certainly advice worth adhering to for some of the tougher fights.

Definitely a Ritual game. I'll be in line for the next installment, but I want HDR and a discount for having bought the first. There's also a couple of places in there where having those goddamn idiots known as teammates from HL2 would have really worked wonders in SIN, too.

Re:
May 14, 2006, 12:47
Re: May 14, 2006, 12:47
May 14, 2006, 12:47

Our dollar is about 75 US cents, although I'm sure the idiots known as the Australian Government are working feverishly to lower it again.

Minimum wage here is dependent upon what job you do. Recent regulation changes now mean they can't necessarily lower a rate for a certain type of job, but they can impose other conditions which may or may not be unfair or unreasonable and you take it, or you're fired without your employer having to answer to anyone.

Generally speaking, however.... in this country, your average person gets screwed because they're possibly too stupid to know they're being screwed, or too lazy to do anything about it.

As my boss in Phoenix likes to remind me 'Us Americans may not be so aware of the world like the europeans and aussies, but at least we're smart enough to know when someones trying to fuck us in our own back yard.' He's right, btw... Soon as my wife finishes her assigment here, we'll be going back there.

Re:
May 14, 2006, 05:40
Re: May 14, 2006, 05:40
May 14, 2006, 05:40

I haven't really seen any evidence of imported games here. For consoles, that makes sense, since we have PAL and the US has NTSC. I recently ordered Psychonauts from Double Fine in San Francisco and with postage, it worked out similar dollars to what it would have cost here, were it available. For anyone in AU after that game, Double Fine couldn't have been better to deal with, so give them a shot.

Last PC games I paid full price for were Quake 4 and FEAR and they were $99.00 each. That's average for EB and fairly current games. We have several games for the 360 and I've not seen any games under $119.00 for that system yet.

Sin and HL2;EP1 cost me close enough to $24.00 each after exchange rate and currency conversion fees. The damn Gold Pack of HL2 when it was new, on the other hand, was the most expensive game I've ever bought at $180.00!

Re:
May 13, 2006, 23:11
Re: May 13, 2006, 23:11
May 13, 2006, 23:11

I've not watched many of the e3 video's... but I checked out Quake Wars and I'm sold.

Also, I decided to start up the 360 and see what exclusive video's MSFT were showing. I'm completely and utterly sold on Gears of War now, too! Some of it looks awesome, especially the cinematics. What I assume was actual gameplay looks like a heavily pumped version of UT2K4 but it's looking really cool all the same.

Re:
May 11, 2006, 02:26
Re: May 11, 2006, 02:26
May 11, 2006, 02:26

I haven't even started playing it yet Beamer.... but based upon your advice, I'm planning on using the Meatshield Strategy extensively;P

As for dumb AI... every game has it in parts. The only reason I haven't started playing this yet, is I've just started FEAR for the first time and want to finish that first.

I recently came to that part of FEAR (LZ is hot) where you land and start being killed fast and painfully. Having gotten rid of the immediate threat, I walk to the right and admire one idiot leaning over the aircon venting below looking to where he expects I'll come from when I walk down the stairs. So, I load up the sniper scope and kill the idiot... and then his mate who walks over to admire his corpse. Eventually I wander down stairs and walk around to where they are cause I need the ammo. I stop to admire the view out over the water and look around with the sniper scope. There I see a third baddy just standing there looking at me, awaiting a bullet to the head, which he gets very damn quick.

Now, I'll be the first to agree the battles in FEAR piss upon anything else I've ever played.... but the AI is often just as dumb as any other game IMO.

Re:
May 10, 2006, 17:14
Re: May 10, 2006, 17:14
May 10, 2006, 17:14

I just cranked SIN up and messed around with the settings so I could play it later. I have no idea of gameplay yet. After adjusting the settings and exiting I did notice Windows Firewall has popped up a Security Alert about this game, stating that it's blocked some features of this game and do I wish to keep it that way, or unblock.

Now, I've never seen this message before with any game and I'm including everything I play on Steam. Anyone else seen this and, even better, worked out why it's there? I've decided to assume it's for the Stats Tracking and allowed the connection, but I'm still curious.

Re:
May 6, 2006, 20:41
Re: May 6, 2006, 20:41
May 6, 2006, 20:41

I loved NOLF2.... I often forget it for some reason when thinking of great games, but it's certainly way up there. I got the first NOLF and never finished it. NOLF2 I've done twice and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I got it after it had been out at least a year, so I loaded it and at least two patches before playing it and I don't remember any real bugs. The funny thing, though, is I remember suffering that I think is the exact same problem Creston got. Pretty sure you came down that staircase and had those two rooms in front of you, one of which was locked and you eventually found the pass in one of the crews quarters. I must have wandered around that level for the better part of two hours trying to work that out, only to give up and go to bed. Next day, I load up the saved game and magically that office can now be accessed. Never occurred to me it was a bug. I put it down to being too tired and just missing it.

I think it was just that level of the game that was bugged. I recall having to swimup under those metal grates to avoid drowning after the base started flooding and some part failed to open and I died countless times. Again, gave up and tried again later and it opened.

Two incredibly annoying bugs, but still an A1 game IMO.

Re:
May 6, 2006, 15:10
Re: May 6, 2006, 15:10
May 6, 2006, 15:10

Of course, if you saw the way they transported sugar prior to packing, you might rethink that;P

Re:
May 6, 2006, 15:05
Re: May 6, 2006, 15:05
May 6, 2006, 15:05

LMAO!!! Damn that's good!

Re:
May 6, 2006, 14:01
Re: May 6, 2006, 14:01
May 6, 2006, 14:01

I used to format every so often... definitely if I upraded any hardware at all and I've concluded all those times I did were a waste of time.

My current install is running fine. Has been for two years and I've got more than a couple of MSFT's beta's running, which probably should be all the more reason TO format;P

I also have the MS Wireless Desktop Elite and that allows you time to hit F8 for Safe Mode... the problem is hitting the stupid F-Lock key first. Can be done, though.

Re:
May 5, 2006, 16:32
Re: May 5, 2006, 16:32
May 5, 2006, 16:32

Well, if it is.... I want it changed from Expansion to Episodic;P

And yes, my thanks for the spoilers, too... I got the Directors Edition of F.E.A.R. when it first came out, but my PC back then played the demo like swimming through thick soup, so I left it until I upgraded. On the plus side, I'll be wasting no time in doing anything ingame that apparently gives me a better shot of catching the corpse chomper. Well done Sierra!

709 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1    6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21    36  ] Older