User information for Michael Scott

Real Name
Michael Scott
Nickname
Rseman
Email
Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Aussie game freak. Like most game genres, especially fps.
Homepage
None given.
Signed On
February 19, 2000
Supporter
-
Total Posts
709 (Apprentice)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

709 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    36  ] Older

Re:
Aug 16, 2007, 15:57
Re: Aug 16, 2007, 15:57
Aug 16, 2007, 15:57

Ray,

According to this flyer I have here for the CE of Bioshock, that figurine is 15cm tall.

Re:
Aug 16, 2007, 14:35
Re: Aug 16, 2007, 14:35
Aug 16, 2007, 14:35

If you're after a review of the full version of Bioshock you can go to gamearena.com.au and they've got a review of the full game. Apparently they weren't allowed to post the review until the game was on sale, but since Toys R' Us started selling it early, they decided to post a review early.

Let me suggest to anyone who is really interested in this game not to read the review. A few spoilers and one of them is criminal. If you played the demo and listened to Diane McClintocks journal, this review makes it fairly obvious what started happening while she was making it.

They give it 5 out of 5 stars and say it's an awesome game.

Re:
Aug 16, 2007, 14:07
Re: Aug 16, 2007, 14:07
Aug 16, 2007, 14:07

While I do have this preordered at EB. I just checked the currency conversion rate and buying it from Steam saves me $30 off retail here. So, now downloading at 1.6Mbps:)

If the percentage calculator on Steam is anywhere near accurate, the download size is around 2.5GB.

Edit: Hit the 4 when I was after the 3.
This comment was edited on Aug 16, 14:15.

Re:
Aug 16, 2007, 12:38
Re: Aug 16, 2007, 12:38
Aug 16, 2007, 12:38

Nin,

The gamearena site gave it 5 out of 5 stars. They had a listing for it's good points which were something like:

- Possibly best storyline ever.
- Easily the best gaming cinematic experience ever.

As far as the bad, you really had to pick it up from what they complained about in the review. Overall, they said there's almost nothing to complain about.

I've got it preordered and having read the review, there was nothing there to make me think of cancelling my order. Far from it. I really do suggest not reading the review. I played the demo and, I guess like everyone else, found myself wondering why Rapture had gone to hell in a handbasket. That review told me by the 10th paragraph and now some of the mystery is gone.

As for Maniac Mansion and Zac. I'm sorry to say I have no idea. If I ever come across them, I'll try to remember my thinking cap and let you know:)

Re:
Aug 16, 2007, 09:55
Re: Aug 16, 2007, 09:55
Aug 16, 2007, 09:55

I've not played many adventure games because I typically can't stand them. I recall an old one back in the 386 days called KGB which was kind of fun. For something more modern, although not so much point and click, I'd be surprized if there was anything better than Grim Fandango. One of my favorite games ever.

For anyone who's looking for a review of the full version of Bioshock, head on over to gamearena.com.au and they have a review of the full game. A lot of spoilers in there, so I'm wishing I hadn't read it myself.

No subject
Jun 15, 2007, 19:41
No subject Jun 15, 2007, 19:41
Jun 15, 2007, 19:41

Well, maldoror. I most definitely have to concede defeat to you.:) Where others have failed, I most definitely bow to your greater wisdom.

Re:
Jun 15, 2007, 19:05
Re: Jun 15, 2007, 19:05
Jun 15, 2007, 19:05

You spoke volume of content speaks for itself. I said Gears of War alone was more content/volume than everything on your list from Valve, except for HL2 itself. On top of which Epic released at least two huge add ons for UT2K4, plus add ons for Gears of War, come to that.

Valve did not create Portal. It was from some other team and the woman from that team in a video interview she did from Valve, tells of how somone from Valve saw it and loved it, then Gabe saw it and grabbed the team and wanted it converted to run on Source. DoDs was being developed by the mod team already when Valve brought them inhouse, too.

Going with Tanto's love of the automotive analogies, Portal was the engine and Valve tossed on some Moroso rocker covers. With DoD, the mod team are the rocker covers and Valve had the engine.

Re:
Jun 15, 2007, 18:18
Re: Jun 15, 2007, 18:18
Jun 15, 2007, 18:18

I've not suggested for a moment id deserves credit for anything Valve have done. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've already stated that I think the opposite. I'll continue my fine reading and let you know what else I come up with, however;P

I'm suggesting that if Valve is given credit for things they've not completely done themselves, then id can take credit for stuff they've not completely done themselves and since Source has some Quake code in it, we can credit id. Which, as should be obvious to all, is quite preposterous.

As for your opinion on what's fact as to more done, you're entitled to your opinion Dagok and I'll be the first to agree to that. But no way I'll give it as fact. I don't agree, as I'm entitled to. This is nothing more than you and I seeing things very differently. And yes, on a couple of points I have nitpicked and for that, I am sorry. C'est la vie.

Re:
Jun 15, 2007, 16:50
Re: Jun 15, 2007, 16:50
Jun 15, 2007, 16:50

I can read just fine.

You give Valve credit for things they didn't do. They bought them. Your case for the three year timeline whilst there, is still flawed when you give them credit for something that does not exist which makes your statement about 3DR and nothing at all rather hollow.

I don't dislike Valve. I'm just disappointed with how it's played out and said so. You're the one taking offense, which is your prerogative. You're so quick to jump in with crap to defend them when there was nothing to defend. I don't play consoles, so forgot Gears of War. You'd have to be living under a rock to have missed it. I don't doubt you did, so that's fine.

And go think about some of this. I'm not suggestihng id deserves credit for anything Valve have done for a second, but if Valve deserves credit for things they've at most polished, then yes, I'll let id take credit for everything Valve has released. Carmack said the Source engine still has Quake code in it.

Re:
Jun 15, 2007, 14:42
Re: Jun 15, 2007, 14:42
Jun 15, 2007, 14:42

3 titles on your list don't belong there. Ep2, Portal and TF2 are not available and Valve offering up a release date doesn't mean a hell of a lot.

CSS came with HL2 as the multiplayer. DooM3 came with multiplayer, too and that's something nobody will be bragging about anytime soon, to be fair. Still. Lost Coast, which I loved, was just one level which the voiceovers in Lost Coast spend a lot of time telling you they'd already made and cut from HL2. HL2DM was a map or 3 when released. DoDs was a Valve release, sure. But I'm not certain that wasn't already in development and Valve acquired them at the last minute before making HL2 available for pre-orders.

Epic have done UT2004. At least one and I'm pretty sure it's two large download packs for it. Haven't had UT2K4 loaded for ages, but there were a couple of big bonus packs for it. Neither of which cost anything. Gears of War, which I also mentioned. And Gears of War is a SP and MP and Co-Op game. I can understand you don't play consoles, but you have a look at Gears of War and it's worth more than everything on your Valve list combined, except for HL2 itself. And UT2K7 or is it 8 these days, won't be far behind, possibly before(?) Ep2, TF2 and Portal, which Valves also didn't make from the start.

You could argue this one all day long. Valve are like Microsoft and the famous three E's. Embrace it, Extend it to work with Windows (in this case, extend it to fit the HL2 universe) and exterminate any memory of who originally did it.

As for id. They've not done a lot, but they have less than a third the staff, have told me no lies, didn't lose all their source code and have to send everyone on an extended training camp to join the FBI to learn about tracking criminal hackers, to only then go back to making a game. Also Carmack doesn't spend a lot of times shouting from the rooftops about how big his dick is, unlike Valve or Epic.

So, I'd still not be shouting about volumes of work. And unless Carmack is a liar and, quite frankly, I doubt it. HL2 still has Quake code in it, so I suppose we may as well give id credit for everything Valve's done and immediately they start to look like a darn industrious bunch down there in Dallas;P

Re:
Jun 15, 2007, 13:44
Re: Jun 15, 2007, 13:44
Jun 15, 2007, 13:44

Apart from some console ports, which they may or may not have done themselves, you seem to have forgotten a little title Epic did called Gears of War. The volumes do speak but not much in Valves favor IMO.

Re:
Jun 15, 2007, 10:45
Re: Jun 15, 2007, 10:45
Jun 15, 2007, 10:45

I've hardly touched a PC game in almost a year. I've not had a lot of time and when I do play, I play a quick plop on the 360 or Wii. But in that time I've upgraded two of our PC's and not bothered to install Steam at all. And at this point in time, I can't imagine I'll bother with Ep2, even though I was a huge fan of Ep1 and own most titles released on Steam before I started leaving it off altogether.

HL and it's expansions, HL2 and Ep1. Some of the best games I ever did play and replayed, which is rare for me. Epic and id can pretty much do whole new games with whole new engines in four years or thereabouts. Valve, I can't begin to fathom how it takes so long. What they make is great, but shit..... not only could you die waiting, you probably will! I'm not suggesting they're doing it wrong cause only time and further success or failure can tell, but it's certainly not working for me. I really can't imagine anything Valve could offer that would sweeten the deal enough for me to reload it all and try Ep2, cause I just know it's going to leave me wanting more, most likely, and having to suffer another 2 plus years. Surely they must know some of HL's biggest fans are getting older;P

Episodic had potential, I thought. But with all the time taken, you start to lose interest. I've pre-ordered Quake Wars and got that FEAR expansion on sale yesterday. Loved FEAR and can only hope they've got something coming out before I start getting too old and arthritic.

Sorry for the rant. Just waffling on about my disappointment with how it's all played out, I guess.

Re:
Jun 13, 2007, 22:14
Re: Jun 13, 2007, 22:14
Jun 13, 2007, 22:14

Sounds odd, I know.... even more odd they've done it with Pepsi. I was often served pitchers of water with cucumber or orange (can't recall both together, but will have tried before the day is out) in Europe and quite often here now in Australia. Meatforce isn't kidding, it's good. Been doing it at home for years.

Re:
Jun 13, 2007, 03:37
Re: Jun 13, 2007, 03:37
Jun 13, 2007, 03:37

Well, even here in Australia where we tend to get screwed on prices, a $300.00 AUD videocard would accomplish that.
I can't see a lot of point to super high end cards at the moment. Then again, I also have a machine running Vista here now and Chess Titans can bring a 256MB 7950GT to it's knees momentarily. Think it's more Vista than the card, though.

Re:
Jun 13, 2007, 02:45
Re: Jun 13, 2007, 02:45
Jun 13, 2007, 02:45

I have to admit, I kinda expect shooters from id regardless.... but I've often read anything Carmack has said in interviews cause, respect him or not, he's done a lot of impressive shit.

He always says he likes simple games and I recall him mentioning he wanted to do a simple racing game back when they were developing Q3A. If this demo video is representitive of the current title being worked on, looks like he got his way and combined it with that other project Quest(?). Some of that looks super impressive in the details, other parts look no better than other currently available titles. I'm sure it'll be graphically killer regardless.

Re:
Apr 27, 2007, 01:26
Re: Apr 27, 2007, 01:26
Apr 27, 2007, 01:26

I'm fairly sure it was with the advent of the 8800 series that they told us the unified driver approach was dead. As for me, I'm running a 7900GT and the drivers for both Vista and XP64 have been far from wonderful. About damn time they made some improved ones. Hope these actually are an improvment.

Re:
Apr 20, 2007, 03:22
Re: Apr 20, 2007, 03:22
Apr 20, 2007, 03:22

I think....

Last week there was a post which saw some (ME) ripping into Microsoft about their extreme idiocy with the 360 and Live and others were ripping into Sony. Fun for all, always. Eventually someone popped up and mentioned the Wii was just a Cube rehashed. I think Masa could still be addressing that one;P

We have a Wii and 360. Since getting the Wii, I've noticed that great big bonus of backwards compatibility and buying the cheaper Gamecube games is not something that's materialized. Nowhere I've been stocks Gamecube games now. Sure, 1 or 2 games here and there. But I'm serious about only 1 or 2. I've not been able to find a single Gamecube game worth picking up. I'm open to admitting this may be a problem that only effects Australia. Then again, here in Australia I can walk into almost any EB or JB and pickup a Wii, too....

Re:
Apr 17, 2007, 04:22
Re: Apr 17, 2007, 04:22
Apr 17, 2007, 04:22

As for the 360 version being fine. No.

Whenever I take the GS450h out, I get a game lockup and freeze requiring the 360 be restarted.

Re:
Apr 16, 2007, 10:39
Re: Apr 16, 2007, 10:39
Apr 16, 2007, 10:39

As for these 360 horror stories with lost content....

I heard them all and figured it was just people bashing MS, as many people like to do. And until my experiences with the 360 I wasn't one of those people.

Tech support told me to disconnect the hardrive and not to send it in, they just wanted the dead console. Immediately, I figured all those horror stories were mostly BS because they don't even take the hardrive. Microsoft 1 and complaining idiots yet to score.

Get console back and now nothing on the hardrive works unless it's connected to Live. All the downloaded games like Galaga and Dig Dug are there, but unless you're logged into Live they revert to being trial versions. Unless you're logged into Live, all the downloaded content you had to pay for isn't accessible from within the games. The Cadillac collection for PGR3 worked regardless, but that whole pack was free of charge so inbuilt protection against anyone stealing it probably never existed.

To rectify this situation Microsoft told us to do what's in my post below, which is just beyond my ability to comprehend from one of the worlds biggest tech companies. I start making a new account, but the accounts are tied to your MSN Live accounts. So, to create a new 360 account for using Live, I also need a new email address. No problem, I enter my old msn address. Voila, new account...... except for one minor problem and that being I created that account back when I was living in the states and it won't accept it for creating an australian account and insists I'm still living in the 85331 zip, which screws me completely with trying to use my current CCard issued via a local bank.

Now, I could go create a new email address..... but I don't need or want one. And with this new address being tied to something I'd be using for CC billing info, it's something I'd have to keep track of and can't just forget after signup. Right now, I'm going to wait until I have plenty of time to get onto tech support and insist they either fix the situation, or refund all monies paid to date so I can go trade my 360 on something useful like decorative bookends, because this repaired console is already showing the same graphical glitches that preceded the first system failure. Quite frankly, I can't be bothered with having to create a new account everytime their system screws up.

All those stories you've heard probably have an awful lot of truth in them if my own is any example. I'd not have belived mine if I'd read it and not suffered it.

Re:
Apr 15, 2007, 13:13
Re: Apr 15, 2007, 13:13
Apr 15, 2007, 13:13

In many ways I've been really happy with our purchase of a 360 and Wii. The 360 has more games that I like to play and the Wii is loved by the better half and kids. It's a win win for our family.
But, no matter how much Microsoft has improved their warranty, improved Live and matching up MSN to Live with Vista, which will be good for Bankshot Billiards if nothing else. You cannot escape how pissed you'll be if your 360 dies and if you're one of those poor bastards who has a nightmare of a time trying to get it sorted out.
We've just been told they can't sort the problem out with our Live account, so please setup a new 'Silver Account' and we'll credit you with the points to cover all your Premium content purchased. All the games played to reach a point of unlocking content, all the gamer points they make such a big deal about and achievments earned...... gone. Not to mention we have to use a new name when we quite liked the one we had, plus the fact we pay for a Gold account, so I have to call this time and suffer someone to find out when they'll be remimbursing me for the $80.00 we pay a year for a gold account we no longer have.
Much of what makes the 360 the best console out there in my opinion is also completely worthless when the thing dies and your account gets fucked up on their end along with it and all that time spent is gone via a design fault.
I still hate Sony enough not to ever touch a PS3, but I certainly don't recommend a 360 to anyone without all these dire warnings now.
Our Wii, which gets used almost every damn day, is still operating flawlessly. Too bad they're in such short supply over there or I'd heartily endorse it for anyone;P

709 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 6.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    36  ] Older