Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 4132 (Master)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. No subject Feb 9, 2017, 11:49 Mashiki Amiketo

vacs wrote on Feb 9, 2017, 11:31:
Why do I get the feeling that VR is failing fast?
That's because it is. Just like 3DTV did. VR was once again another fad, that a lot of people predicted would end up as a high end niche consumer product.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. No subject Jan 31, 2017, 13:23 Mashiki Amiketo

Pigeon wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 13:18:
We'll see what actually happens, but so far his orders have only made things more difficult for people who have the least or are suffering.
You mean like Obama's? When he blocked allowing Christians and Yazidis who are being ethnically cleansed from claiming asylum in the US? That's why during the last round of "import refugees" there were under 100 from either of those groups despite the demand being there from them. So far the only thing Trumps order has done, is the same thing as Obamas. Based off Obama's own security analysis recommendations.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. No subject Jan 31, 2017, 13:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Bard wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 12:39:
I think every IT professional who has to deal with those companies who have been importing workers will think this is a good move.

Here in B.C. Canada it's been this way for as long as I can remember - only hire offshore talent if you are able to demonstrate you cannot find the talent here.
Companies here in Canada are abusing the TFW program just like companies in the US have been abusing the H1B. What's worse is that TFW's aren't stuck to one area, but they can be used for any job. We've seen people in skilled trades(welders, machinists, etc) lose their jobs. Just like we've seen IT people lose their jobs. The kicker? Harper tightened the rules when people started complaining about these abuses. Trudeau went right out and loosened them, basically giving a big old fuck you to that 7-15% unemployed across Canada.

It's stuff like this where politicians allow flagrant abuses that help populist candidates rise.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week
6. No subject Jan 30, 2017, 22:31 Mashiki Amiketo

Flatline wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:49:
So I put like 3 or 4 hours into Fallout 4 and walked away. And I'm not sure why, because I can go reinstall New Vegas and put another 15 hours into it without blinking. Something about the game just... felt like a letdown and I don't know what it is.

It's a combination of cutting and gutting what made the SPECIAL system special, and the story. The reality is for a lot of people, everyone has a parent and that's something they can relate to. Not everyone has a kid, and that's something you can't relate to unless you have one. I and my one sister have no problems "getting" the story, my youngest sister and a friend I've had since childhood who don't have kids yet? They can't get the storyline. To them it feels "meh" and I fully get that. Compare that to the other FO stories, saving people because you're the best likely candidate or to save your tribe, revenge because someone tried to kill you and so on. Those latter ones are tried and true methods of tying you into the RPG.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. No subject Jan 28, 2017, 08:36 Mashiki Amiketo

Orogogus wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 04:32:
Read it, didn't see the part about known parties and declining to press charges. I see where the Boston attorney general's office declined to prosecute, and I see a jurisdiction issue on page 168, and if that's what you're referring to it would have been really helpful for you to include a page number.

It's not so difficult reading the legalese as it is all the redactions. It's entirely possible I missed the part you're referring to. Again, a page number would help here.
I'll have to skim when I get up later since I'm about to head to bed, I seem to remember it was somewhere between pages 90 and 130. What it boiled down to one of the cases where a person threatening Wu was an individual that they had very long conversations with. AKA a person who was known to them. There was another case, where Wu refused to prosecute as well. And there was the other case where Sarkeesian didn't want to either cooperate with the FBI or declined to press charges against another person. Can't remember quite on this one. It's been ~2 months since I read this(yeah it's been out that long -- 3 months actually).

But yeah, the redactions make it hard. What amuses me as well, are the number of sites now coming out saying "See, this is why the FBI is bad." Or "See this is proof of their harassment..." when it's proof otherwise.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4. No subject Jan 28, 2017, 00:01 Mashiki Amiketo

Quboid wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 22:44:
Where does it say that?

Read it. You'll run across the part where the statement of "harassment" was from a known parties to the victims and they didn't want to press charges. You'll also bump into the part of no-jurisdiction a bit further on. The entire thing is worth the read if you can understand the legalese, if you don't? Good time to learn.

Kxmode wrote on Jan 27, 2017, 22:00:
Also, I have no idea why GamerGate needed an unsealed FBI Agents dossier.
To prove one thing: The media lied, and it did.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

1. No subject Jan 27, 2017, 21:33 Mashiki Amiketo

And shocking nobody who actually paid attention...no harassment from GG supporters. In two instances, the "victims of GG" were harassed by people in their inner circle, and one case had no jurisdiction. That's jackass from Brazil that GG found and forwarded to the LEO's.

Well there goes that entire media narrative right out the fucking window.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Trailers
18. No subject Jan 27, 2017, 01:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Task wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 19:49:
Oh man don't get my hopes up that much. If its Inquisition in Spaaace, I'll definitely be disappointed. I don't want to watch this though in case of spoilers.

There's a combat vid out there, looks exactly like Inquisition in space. The ME3 left such a bitter taste that this would have to be amazing to give me any faith in them again.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > etc.
1. No subject Jan 22, 2017, 16:47 Mashiki Amiketo

Guess we can chalk that up to another case of intellectual bullshit failing under actual review.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. No subject Jan 20, 2017, 12:39 Mashiki Amiketo

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 20, 2017, 10:29:
His handlers will let him keep his phone and instead just restrict his twitter account.

Might be more interesting just how much fake news is going on these days. If it's not CNN, it's WAPO, or BBC, or really almost all of the MSM these days.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 18, 2017, 20:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 16:33:
A short and edifying article on windshield repair.

Why auto glass service isn't all it's cracked up to be

Same stuff when I was an apprentice 25 years ago basically. Back then it was an influx of stuff from Mexico. Luckily we haven't seen a relapse in things like the tire rim plague, where transport truck rims would fail so spectacularly that they would shatter, or the rims would sheer off(the center remained bolted in), and the entire thing would get flung down the highway. Several people in Ontario were killed because of that.

But there is still the huge and I do mean huge problem with train cars across North America and failures(causing derailments/spills) of wheels, axles, and journal boxes(basically the wheel hub). Those cases are all shitty mexican made parts from the 1990/early 00's. Most rail companies have spent the last 10-20 years and hundreds of millions replacing them on everything from boxcars to tanker cars. There's also been cases of side frame failures, where they simply bend and the entire wheel assembly gets ejected. Which is really good at 60 miles an hour.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. No subject Jan 18, 2017, 15:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Blue wrote on Jan 18, 2017, 11:13:
I believe that's the price to repair the crack. The insurance company says they will cover replacing the windshield if it comes to that.

Car windshields haven't been shatterable like that for decades, and that's because of the giant sheet of plastic that's between the two layers of glass. And said insurance company is happier to fix a rock-strike, and in many cases at least here in Canada for nothing. The last windshield I had replaced cost me $200(deductible), the actual cost of the windshield was just shy of $1100.

Just a heads up to people who don't know, the windshield is considered a "structural component" of the vehicle. Which is one of the reasons you should get it repaired. But just be glad you don't live in various part of Canada, because rock strikes are so common that windshield's aren't covered in your insurance policy. And can drive the cost up monthly by $400-800. Where the same policy in say Ontario would be $70-80/mo including repair/replace.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 16, 2017, 10:54 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 16, 2017, 10:49:
8 men (yes, all of them MEN) have more wealth than combined 3.6 billion, those 8 sure are very equal among themselves...

I couldn't really care if they were men, women, or attack helicopters. There's a reason why there's a populist swing though, and they likely have no idea why it's happening. Even though the answer is right in front of them. Considering things though? It's just as possible we're going to see "behead all elitists" becoming a thing though, depending on how shit this all turns. Likely why doomsday self-preservation vaults are trendy as fuck among the ultra-rich.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Windows 10 Update Breaks Multi-Monitor Support
38. No subject Jan 12, 2017, 08:23 Mashiki Amiketo

Well just installed the update guess what happened? Nothing. Multi-monitor support works just fine. Looks like it's either going to be a "your mileage may vary" or "FUD article" in either one of those cases.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda in March
38. No subject Jan 5, 2017, 14:05 Mashiki Amiketo

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 13:59:

frankly it would be super difficult to include "realistic" romantic scenarios without making it the primary focus of the game considering all the hyper-nuanced bullshit that goes into real life relationships

Jaheira is probably one of the best "realistic romance" characters that's ever been done. It can be done, but it's easier to write flat characters that exist to pander. You can see that with DA2's romance garbage, especially the person who was the lead writer for them. They didn't believe in depth, just cheap garbage with no depth.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

36. No subject Jan 5, 2017, 13:37 Mashiki Amiketo

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 11:59:

So is it shoe horned when a female character is obviously inserted strictly to appeal to male players? Why is it ok on one hand but bad on the other? Could it be perhaps that they're just trying to appeal to different people? That gay character seems shoe horned to you because it's not there for you.

That's called "fan service" and it's just as bad. Sometimes it's even worse. Funny enough, that "gay character" which is shoe horned in as it seems to me? Those gay friends of mine see it the same way, shitty-assed-shoe horning which detracts from the actual game, story and narrative. What most people want is unique characters, which are unique and aren't jammed in. This is no different then the current escapades of absolute garbage being jammed into comic books in order to pander to a demographic which is so abysmally small that it's driving the core audience away.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. No subject Jan 5, 2017, 11:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Jerykk wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 03:53:
I don't know if including a gay character really has that much of a detrimental impact on the overall story. People tend to overreact to even the most minor annoyances. For example, ME3 had a crappy ending but the ending constituted maybe 1% of a 40+ hour game. That didn't stop people from proclaiming that ME3 was complete garbage and that the entire series was ruined as a result.

It's not that the person is so as written. It's shoehorning and then the vibrant declarations of such. Think of it this way, in FO2 you could hook up with someone of the same sex. Get married to them, haul their shitty ass around that could get 1-shot by a mole rat. But at no point did it become a talking point like: "Hey, I'm gay. Look at me and how it makes me a great NPC/PC/etc. Let me tell you my life story" every 20th sentence for example. It's not a selling point to most people, but for some companies the shoehorning is a selling point which is what pisses people off. Compare the shoehorning in DA3, and then compare the "current year" bit in Witcher 3. See the difference?

The problem ending wise for ME3 is you know what the end is. Even if the journey to that end is great, you know it's coming. And the closer you get to it, the more you dread that it's going to throw off the enjoyment you've had getting there. That rounds off that they claimed "all your choices would have an impact, it would change how the ending would play out, etc, etc, etc."

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

15. No subject Jan 5, 2017, 03:25 Mashiki Amiketo

Sho wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 01:22:
Feeling sad for people who can't enjoy games I guess.
I'm pretty sure everyone can enjoy games. The problem is when companies go for the "rah-rah, look at us! We're awesommely diverse, look at all these diverse characters! Look at this, you can be a quadragendered-octopus-train engine!" Instead of investing in story, and making it a meaningful story.

Will wait for reviews, not expecting consumer reviews to be good aka another DA2 fiasco. Expecting many review sites like polygon and kotaku to be falling all over themselves that this is the second coming though. I'm hoping I'm fully wrong too.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
63. No subject Dec 15, 2016, 07:23 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Dec 15, 2016, 07:15:
Are people pushing that climate change isn't real, or enabling Richard Spencer not dangerous?
Well that depends. Are people allowed to have their own views? If so, then both are a non issue. On the other hand, if they're not. I'm sure we'll see out out there protesting groups like Sea Shepard, ELF and antifa. All three which have either committed acts of terror, or intimidated people. While Spencer has not.

Oh you're right. I misread. Never mind your support for Harper and Quinn and the organizations they launched though. I'll wait for you to show the link saying that "it has validity."

Let me know when you're finished make stuff up though, I'm sure the Washington Post would be happy that your views align with the "fake news" stuff they're pushing though. I guess when you're implying something though, you should do the same.

Just out of curiosity is the Detroit Press reporting that 37% of the voting machines in Detroit which went to Clinton and having more votes counted then votes in the box fake?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
61. No subject Dec 15, 2016, 07:07 Mashiki Amiketo

Quboid wrote on Dec 13, 2016, 17:58:

I can't figure out what you think this says about progressives, or anyone or anything else. Why have you mentioned this? Why do you think this helps, or is relevant to your point?

Not paying attention to the press at all? The people who were pressing the "big-dangerous-alt-right" story were self-labeled progressives. Along with media that falls directly into that camp.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4132 Comments. 207 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo