Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 3999 (Veteran)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
93. No subject Jan 7, 2016, 00:42 Mashiki Amiketo

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 6, 2016, 20:26:
What makes the vive better than rift?

It'll likely be half the cost.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 2 Next Month
8. No subject Jan 5, 2016, 20:56 Mashiki Amiketo

Nucas wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 17:25:
it just feels unfocused and meandering. the writing is just too much self-important fantastic metaphysical bullshit.

Never played PS:Torment huh?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Oculus Rift Preorders Wednesday
35. No subject Jan 4, 2016, 21:44 Mashiki Amiketo

Sepharo wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 16:01:
I've thrown the DK2 on like 30+ people. Never seen anyone get sick. That includes old folks too.

I've tried the DK1 and DK2 and gotten violently ill with a skull splitting migraine each time. It only takes 5 minutes or so before I start feeling nausea from it. I never had a real problem with VR headsets back in the mid and late 90's but that was before I had a head injury, so that's likely the cause.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. No subject Jan 4, 2016, 21:41 Mashiki Amiketo

NKD wrote on Jan 4, 2016, 20:01:
Shouldn't have installed ctOS

My question is, why are these things connected to the net instead of being air-gaped.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
11. No subject Dec 30, 2015, 02:07 Mashiki Amiketo

Jerykk wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 01:29:

Not sure where that's coming from. ...

I'm pretty confident that Psychonauts 2 will be delivered. It may not live up to the hype but it'll be delivered and will most likely be a solid follow-up.

How's df-9 doing these days? This isn't the first time, or even the 3rd time that DF has pulled the "we need more moniez guys" bit.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. No subject Dec 29, 2015, 22:25 Mashiki Amiketo

Gadzooks wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 12:07:
I had stopped using newegg after they refused to take a return from me. I had switched to tigerdirect which was much more customer service friendly.

Well, there goes that idea.

If you live in Canada use Canadacomputers. Tigerdirect though is going to be in for a rude awakening they operate stores and have an online presence here in Canada, and failing to disclose that they refuse returns in a clear manner is going to land them in regulatory hot water. But it sounds like Tigerdirect doesn't want customers anymore, so that makes it easy when I go looking for computer parts.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
9. No subject Dec 29, 2015, 22:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Don't worry, Tim will blow through that money like he had the shits and then ask for more money a year and a half from now.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Departure
5. No subject Dec 29, 2015, 22:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 15:53:
No one wants to be Edmonton. That's like serving a sentence.

Well Edmonton is basically the opposite of Toronto or Montreal. There's 'hip' areas, and overpriced areas in all three cities, the nice thing about Edmonton is it generally doesn't have the asshole factor of TO or Montreal. For someone like me, who grew up in small towns Edmonton has always been great when I lived out in western canada. I detest Toronto and Montreal, I lived in Toronto(about a block off the Danforth subway station) back ~10 years ago with my ex for a while. Hated every minute of it, hated the traffic, people, and the nightlife to boot.

Even back then rent was insane, we were paying $1200/mo for a basement apt. Fuck that right in the neck.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
21. No subject Dec 27, 2015, 21:58 Mashiki Amiketo

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Dec 27, 2015, 21:35:
Aren't you making the author's, and my, argument here? For the overwhelming majority of the world, their personal computing needs are sufficiently met by the average smart phone. For the overwhelming majority of office workers who use a computer in their work, a laptop built within the last 5-7 years will sufficiently meet the hardware requirements of their computing needs. The only people who have the desperate need for advanced hardware that you claim is so universal are in fact the edge cases: people like YOU or people like ME. For everyone else? Their phone and the MacBook or Dell laptop they got in college 6 or 7 years ago is "good enough".

Games have always been the driving factor behind the increase in PC sales. Whether it be videocards or CPU's, and their ability to do more. It'll swing back, and it's already starting too as you see more companies shift away from console only releases or starting to bring back PC only releases. And with Vulcan coming out soon, it'll be even easier.

You're right that if you're just browsing the internet, watching cat videos and doing word processing a laptop made in the last 5 years is more than sufficient. But smartphones won't replace PC's for crafting documents of any kind.

Then again, having read that article and read articles nearly identical to it for the last 20 years all claiming that PCs are failing, that the end is nigh, and they're all doomed...it hasn't happened yet. But hardware itself is pretty much at a standstill compared to the late 90's and early 00's, when we saw speeds jump from 300Mhz to 1.5Ghz in the span of a year and change. There's no pressing need for high-end devices because the software isn't there to demand it, don't forget either that we're at the edge of quantum computing as well. While I doubt they'll become the big thing at home, I expect optical CPUs to be the consumer grade level in the next 10-15 years. Not forgetting moores law either.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
19. No subject Dec 26, 2015, 20:43 Mashiki Amiketo

jimnms wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 20:13:
Valve is the worst company when it comes to communicating with its customers.

Never had to deal with Bell Canada or Rogers Telecommunications huh? Valve isn't even close to the worst.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Christmas Eve Tech Bits
7. No subject Dec 25, 2015, 00:04 Mashiki Amiketo

HorrorScope wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 22:20:
Got a 500 gig for $85 was it during Thanks G. That gives you plenty of room to move games in and out of it, that one currently plays and can benefit from the SSD speed.

Yeah I'm completely surprised at how fast the cost on SSD's have fallen and their size has increased. Two years ago I picked up a 120GB job for $79, this year if I shop around I can get 500GB easily enough.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Christmas Eve Safety Dance
3. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2015, 22:21 Mashiki Amiketo

MajorD wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 12:52:
Of course not, because most are too eager to jump onto the Microsoft-bashing-bandwagon!

MS does have it's issues, and no doubt has had its share of bonehead moves, but so does, Google, Apple, etc.; however, everyone is always so quick to bash MS at every turn, even if they do something truly awesome, someone will dissect it to find any irrelevant negative critique they can just because it is MS.

It's not even that, they want to be the first one out of the gate because it generates them clicks and page views. It doesn't matter if it's true or false, if it generates clicks it's all good.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Delayed
3. No subject Dec 22, 2015, 21:40 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Dec 22, 2015, 11:06:
Better to get it right...

Damn right. I can't wait for the game, but I want it to be a great game.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
9. No subject Dec 21, 2015, 02:28 Mashiki Amiketo

If winamp could launch a low bloat 3.3MB audio player with the option of a pro version like they used to, they could probably take back the market. It's insane when just a audio player is like 30MB, you can tell there's a lot of bloat there. Hell one of the reasons why VLC and WindowsMediaplayer Classic are so popular is because they're so lightweight and only do what they say they do.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
4. No subject Dec 20, 2015, 23:04 Mashiki Amiketo

Genesys wrote on Dec 20, 2015, 21:41:
Then again, why isn't the user's MAC address data automatically synchronized between the authentication and usage databases? Is Comcast saying that someone is actually manually entering this data in when a customer is onboarded?

Easy, because in many cases they're only looking at the modems mac address. And because of so many problems with mac cloning existing on cable modems, it's not a problem until a customer complains. And even then it's the customers problem. One of the reasons why here in Canada, people continue to want Industry Canada to certify data usage software for measurements. Hasn't happened yet, and likely won't since data caps are now starting to go away again.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
8. No subject Dec 18, 2015, 02:16 Mashiki Amiketo

The FO4 compass flicker has been fixed, but now there is minor flicker while in power armor. FPS are also a lot better especially at the institute first place where I saw FPS drops.

This comment was edited on Dec 18, 2015, 02:33.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > WoW Banhammer
5. No subject Dec 17, 2015, 23:26 Mashiki Amiketo

chickenboo wrote on Dec 17, 2015, 13:27:
For a while there, bots had ruined battlegrounds. Some matches, more than half your team would be bots. That made the game very difficult to enjoy and was one of my reasons for unsubbing back then.

One of the things I enjoyed to no end back in vanilla was either training bots to get smushed by elites or dragging them into the opposing factions cities where they spent hours being corpse ganked, because on respawn the bot's AI would take the shortest path back to their farming location which was usually through a city/outpost/etc..

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
6. No subject Dec 17, 2015, 23:24 Mashiki Amiketo

Something I am liking is AMD is now releasing a driver-only version of their drivers which weighs in at 12MB.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > System Shock 3 Announced
30. No subject Dec 14, 2015, 21:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Kajetan wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 11:40:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Dec 14, 2015, 11:35:
Well I can hold out hope, but I get the feeling it'll be dumbed down for today's idiot generation of console players.
Why should they do this? This is not a project from an AAA publisher, who has to sell millions of copies just to break even.

To reach a large target audience, because they believe that the games original mechanics are dated and so on. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. But look at the Xcom remake for example.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > System Shock 3 Announced
12. No subject Dec 14, 2015, 11:35 Mashiki Amiketo

Well I can hold out hope, but I get the feeling it'll be dumbed down for today's idiot generation of console players.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

3999 Comments. 200 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo