Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 4028 (Master)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
26. No subject Aug 24, 2016, 12:22 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 12:17:
The mouse inversion thing had me baffled for quite a while... WHY WON'T THIS EFFING SETTING STICK?!

Anyway, it runs great for me, so I hope this patch doesn't eff it up

Well just got my first CTD with the game post-patch. Was just starting to do the shooting range bit, picked up the combat rifle and bang. Enjoyable crash.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. No subject Aug 24, 2016, 11:18 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 11:12:

For preorder bonuses, not season pass bonuses.

People are reporting the same problem with the season pass bonuses. Again in either case it's still false/misleading advertising.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. No subject Aug 24, 2016, 11:07 Mashiki Amiketo

deadearth wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 11:05:

Season pass items != preorder items.

I don't think anyone knows if the season pass items are one use only items or not.

Read the thread, a CM(from Square I believe) posted that they're "one time use, one save only" items.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

7. No subject Aug 24, 2016, 10:43 Mashiki Amiketo

Acleacius wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 10:32:
Microtransactions? Pathetic! Flamethrower

Posted a thread on it last night. The fact that many of the items from the season pass are "one use only" and it's not spelt out as such is deceptive/misleading advertising in quite a few places. They're likely going to have a serious problem with it in the near future.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Released
29. No subject Aug 23, 2016, 13:28 Mashiki Amiketo

Btw if you bought the season pass, apparently many of the items are "one time use" and you only use them once and only on one save. There's a thread over on reddit about it. Canucks might want to file a complaint with the competition board since it's deceptive advertising, and states no where that it's actually the case.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

22. No subject Aug 23, 2016, 12:24 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 12:17:
At 94 days to unpack the game and climbingh..

Look on the bright side, you're not like some of the poor bastards who are up to 1yr.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. No subject Aug 23, 2016, 12:12 Mashiki Amiketo

ItBurn wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 11:49:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 11:45:
Well, it's a common theme across just about every single review out there and when even the mainstream reviewers notice that the story sucks then it must be really terribad...

Some reviewers actually loved the story. Most say it lacks high points. Rare are the ones who say it's bad.

Lot of reviewers hated the story in Fallout and Planescape: Torment too. Both of which are considered genre defining titles. 2.8GB worth of data to download as well post game going live FYI.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Deus Ex Mankind Divided Reviews
67. No subject Aug 23, 2016, 11:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Quboid wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 09:09:
You haven't called anyone out, except when you have but that doesn't count because you don't want it to. Fair enough.

You said it was sexist to call people sexist, while you called people sexist. That's the closest thing to any kafkatrap and you pulled it on yourself.
And there's that point that went flying over your head. Need me to explain it a bit more?

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

12. No subject Aug 23, 2016, 11:40 Mashiki Amiketo

nin wrote on Aug 23, 2016, 11:06:
Reviews say the gameplay is good, but the ending is bad. But I've also seen folks say it takes 20+ hours to get to the end, so 20 hours of good DX is good for me, even if the ending is subpar.

The reviewers who've been whining about it are the same ones that were whining over Aug Lives Matter and stuff like that as well. On top of it they apparently didn't do any side quests at all.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

65. No subject Aug 21, 2016, 06:44 Mashiki Amiketo

bigspender wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 05:31:

Elements of reviews are subjective sure. Such as how much you enjoy the game. But there are elements that are completely objective as well, and they tend to be important. Such as quality issues. If a game is crashing for everyone, or the graphics are bad then it doesn't really matter who is doing the review.

Well the latter doesn't appear to be the case in this game. All of the negative reviews I've seen though seem to be from little-well-known reviewers who are whining about the game on the PS4 build. Which kind of tells me that it's a PS4 problem, not a general game problem.

Quboid wrote on Aug 20, 2016, 15:54:

I take it you're just pretending that you haven't repeatedly called people you disagree with sexist?

You mean where I haven't called anyone out as sexist? If you want to try and build that strawman go right a head. That rule doesn't apply to people who kafkatrap though, and I have zero problems turning it right back on them.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

59. No subject Aug 20, 2016, 02:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Quboid wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 15:09:

The business has changed, for the worse, but the nature of reviews - that they have always been subjective - and therefore critic scores (your original point, which Beamer correctly read) have always been effectively useless.

The nature of reviews indeed has always been subjective. I could even point out the nature of how they've gotten worse and moved from subjective to carrying a political/social agenda and reviewers bombing games because they don't fit into their tidy worldview of anyone who doesn't agree is a racist/sexist/etc. But effectively useless? No. If you find a reviewer that shares a similar PoV, chances are it's not useless to you.

If on the other hand you find a reviewer that's whining because there's some cleavage and that offends their sensibilities and they tank it on that. Or they whine that there's too much water and tank it on that, it's useless right from the start.

Cheers.

For anyone who is young though, the great crash of videogame mags in the 90's should be a interesting bit of history. Many of the things you're seeing now with reviewers happened in the past, including the paid shilling, non-paid shilling of a buddy-buddies game, the whining that xyz thing is sexist/racist so don't buy it. And here's the 15 reasons why you shouldn't buy it. This time, much like last time, there's a replacement. In the 90's those mags were pushed out by the fad known as the internet and gaming sites. This time, they're being displaced by youtubers as they continue to push their bullshit. And while new sites pop-up to replace those shitty ones, the marketshare for eyes decreases as people continue to look for new places mainly videos for reviews. Something they can create a podcast for and listen to the drive in the morning or when they're hitting the gym.

Anyway, it seems to me that it's more along the lines of spoilers. Since a lot of people complained about the boss fights, there really aren't any this time around. I suppose we'll see in what? 3 days? I didn't pay for my copy getting it as a gift from my sister, but hell I'm looking forward to it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

31. No subject Aug 19, 2016, 14:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 13:20:

Wait, you think something changed 10 years ago?
Let me guess: you're late 20s or early 30s?

Helpful hint: what changed wasn't the reviews, it was you. Pretty much everyone hits a point around late teens or early 20s where they realize the flaws of enthusiast media. Yet, for some reason, gamers seem to think there's a difference between video games and other forms of media, in that somehow they think that covering media isn't a very limited thing.

Might want to re-read that again and take a deep breath. FYI neither of the above.

Helpful hint: It was the reviews that changed. If you're actually old enough to remember, then you'll remember when the same thing happened in the print publications in the 1990's and the internet was becoming popular. And you'll also remember what happened then is happening now with print publications as youtube(and online reviewers) are cutting into the websites reviews. But if you're still in your 20's then you likely don't. In which case I'll explain in my next reply in about 14 hours when I get up.

Shocking people have preferences? Who knew? And there's that part where you miss how publications have changed over the last 10 years.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. No subject Aug 19, 2016, 12:36 Mashiki Amiketo

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 11:40:

Very popular franchise + hype = usually a default MC score of 90+. A score below 90 is a fair warning, a score below 85 means the game is probably hot garbage or mediocre at best. Caveat emptor. You have been warned.

Of course no one wants to hear it. It's Deus Ex so it MUST be good. Hype. Hype. Hype. Hyperventilation. Fap, fap, fap.

Uh seriously? Up next the grande conspiracy theories start and fire can't melt Jensen's steel abs. You of course realize that critic scores are effectively useless and have been for nearly 10 years right? But you're so wrapped up in it that you've just gotta rage.

I'll bet in two weeks that people will be saying it was a great game, with a few things they liked and didn't like.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. No subject Aug 19, 2016, 11:22 Mashiki Amiketo

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 19, 2016, 10:50:
MC average score of 83 for a hyped to death game like this with bought reviews basically means it is a piece of shit.

This has been hyped to death? Really? Really. I think you mean NMS was hyped to death and was a shitty game, especially after it's glowing "preview" reviews.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer
21. No subject Aug 19, 2016, 09:54 Mashiki Amiketo

Could just save yourself some time nin and use Open Critic. But most of these game review sites aren't worth the shit they're printed on anymore.

edit: I also noticed that all of the low reviews seem to becoming from one system: PS4. The PC and Xbox one reviews are good-to excellent, but even at that the above average reviews are all consoles.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2016, 09:59.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > City: Skylines: Natural Disasters Announced
8. No subject Aug 19, 2016, 09:48 Mashiki Amiketo

DrEvil wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 13:45:
Not quite, SimCity still has a better and quite frankly, less ugly, UI. I also absolutely loathe the stupid bird ticker thing.

I like Skylines for the most part, but the UI is still pretty infuriating at times and economy planning doesn't seem to work out as well.

SimCity's UI may have a few issues, but at least it is consistent and far more pleasant to look at.

The Simcity team also had 10+ years of making UI's for the game. And there's a mod to kill it, or you could simply turn it off.

But the UI is far better then other games, and overall it buries the 2013ish version of simcity into the ground with it's tiny insignificant cities and shitty design. So you can't plan on giant urban areas, giant industrial areas and so on. Nope you always gotta have a huge residential area no matter what.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > City: Skylines: Natural Disasters Announced
1. No subject Aug 18, 2016, 12:45 Mashiki Amiketo

The only thing that was missing from the original. Congrats there guys, you've now crushed what was left of simcity.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. No subject Aug 17, 2016, 08:18 Mashiki Amiketo

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 19:52:
Ok so my neighbor and I went and saw Suicide Squad today. (He's an awesome special needs kid who loves comic book movies). ....
Love to see a Blu-ray version with the other cut of the film.

Thanks for the micro-review, a buddy of mine and I are planning to go see it tomorrow, at least we won't be disappointed with it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Mass Effect Remasters Hint
15. No subject Aug 17, 2016, 02:32 Mashiki Amiketo

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 00:13:
Honestly the only one that could use a "remaster" is ME1. It was mechanically clunky and from what I recall pretty crashy.

ME has a bug with newer AMD processors that causes characters to black out in one portion of the game as well. But I can't remember a single crash I've ever had with ME1 outside of it being a HUD overlay problem(steam/origin's crap), or the dreaded quick-swap crash bug which was finally fixed in ME3.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. No subject Aug 16, 2016, 11:44 Mashiki Amiketo

Redwood wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 11:13:
Be aware that LED bulbs will fade over time as well. Maybe they eventually go out, but really they primarily just get dimmer. That's no reason at all to stay away, just something to be aware of. If you feel the lights are dimmer in a few years, it's not you losing your mind. Well, at least not for that reason.

Keep an eye on the company you buy them from, some have a warranty against fading for x years. The first and 2nd gen CREE bulbs and the phillips bulbs that I currently have warranty fade for 5 years and lifetime against failure. Also, the whiter the light the less you're going to notice it fading. I know a lot of people like warm light, but I find that the closer to white light you get the better and they're not so aggravating on my migraines. Upside, I've yet to have a LED cause either a headache or migraine like the old CFL's.

Also, if you're in Canada keep an eye out for "Energy Star" rebates. You can buy the bulbs(LED and CFL) for a couple of bucks or even pennies when the rebate periods are on, no mail in junk just take the coupon with you.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4028 Comments. 202 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo