Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Mashiki Amiketo

Real Name Mashiki Amiketo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Mashiki Amiketo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description --
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Homepage None given.
Signed On Feb 8, 2000, 21:30
Total Comments 4156 (Master)
User ID 2669

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
13. No subject Aug 5, 2017, 11:50 Mashiki Amiketo

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 11:34:

In my neck of the woods inflicting harm or not helping when a person is in need gets you into trouble. But the USA has always been focused on "freedom" and less on "protection" with their laws. The case of those 5 black youths laughing as someone was dying is a good example of something that you would have a hard time to pursue even in Germany, yeah you could get them into trouble for not helping, but being a total inhuman asshole is not illegal sadly.

In this case however, she did plan the murder and convinced the dude to go through with it, that's a totally different legal situation. Helping someone to kill himself IS actually illegal.

Germany doesn't have a criminal negligence standard? If that case happened in Canada, that's what they'd be charged with. An example from here would be the women who stopped her car on a curve to help ducks cross the road, and killed 2 people. It's one of the reasons that Good Samaritan laws exist as well, to protect people who do assist someone and causes harm.

Not quite, counseling suicide is illegal. It didn't meet that standard, though that might change if it hits an appeals court too.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. No subject Aug 5, 2017, 11:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Remember: Shade #14 welding goggles/face helmet is the minimum you should use when looking at the solar eclipse.

The last solar eclipse that I remember was back when I was in high school still in the 90's, if you've never seen one and plan to see it outdoor bring a light jacket, the temperature drops quite a bit when it happens.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. No subject Aug 5, 2017, 09:26 Mashiki Amiketo

1badmf wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 00:51:
absolutely wrong. free speech is not unlimited. inciting harm is absolutely against the law.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, in mine too. In the US, it requires a higher standard. This doesn't meet that standard, if you believe otherwise then it's simple. Prove it, because you're going to have one hell of a time getting around the case precedents that say otherwise.

The thing is this isn't just a prosecutor trying to make a name for themselves, this is also a case of the judge creating laws from the bench because of agenda surfing. The current hot topic agenda: "cyber bullying" of course.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Geordi La Forge Joining Star Trek Online
10. No subject Aug 4, 2017, 10:26 Mashiki Amiketo

Jivaro wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 08:26:
Despite it's many flaws, I find this game to be fairly entertaining in bursts. I have no idea what "endgame" or guild content is like but leveling up and Foundry stuff was fun.

End game is pretty much like any other MMO. Grind for lewt. Though in some cases it's pay2win lewt.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > On Sale
2. No subject Aug 1, 2017, 05:00 Mashiki Amiketo

Book bundle is also good if you want to learn "how" games work, or want to make your own too.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Casey Hudson Returning to BioWare as GM
3. No subject Jul 18, 2017, 17:41 Mashiki Amiketo

Jivaro wrote on Jul 18, 2017, 17:20:
..or worse...double down on it's current direction.

Mass Effect 5: If you thought no base building was bad...

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > StarCraft Remastered on August 14; Price Revealed
15. No subject Jun 30, 2017, 15:18 Mashiki Amiketo

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 30, 2017, 14:18:

(does Blizzard ever even do sales?) or gunnah grab a cheap key from a key seller site not giving a fuck how legit it may be.

Yeah they do sales all the times though sometimes they get missed here on BN. Keep an eye on /r/gamedeals or make yourself a simple script to pull prices daily using greasemonkey.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Star Trek Online Season 13.5 Plans
3. No subject Jun 28, 2017, 22:22 Mashiki Amiketo

Simon Says wrote on Jun 28, 2017, 21:34:
Slightly, once you're done with the storyline, it gets dull real fast, there's no endgame other than endless grinding and powercreep.

Yeah that's really the big problem with it. The story isn't bad though and is quite fun, and ground combat is apparently leagues better then at release. Though I started playing around season 7ish or something like that. But I haven't played since season 10? or season 11.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Op Ed
50. No subject Jun 26, 2017, 05:52 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 21:48:
Mash, you're one of the few people around here I respect but how do you know any better than the rest of us what the state of their finances are? Sure you can secure loans to write off taxes against the principle, but they're also a last ditch effort of companies in trouble. The reality is no one beyond CR and said bankers know for sure. It's one or the other, and unless CR allows his backers that information than, yeah, you can bet they're in financial trouble. And if it wasn't the latter why weren't they above board with this in the first place? The whole thing reeks of scam at this point more-so than it ever did.

There's more info out there that let's me get a better guess on the state of everything. You can read their reasoning including the filing history. A lot of what's in the article is wrong because the author of the article doesn't understand the terms that are in use. To borrow from the kia thread on it:

Collateral means the Chargor's right, title and interest in and to the property charged pursuant to Clauses 4.1 and 4.2 hereof and the property assigned pursuant to the Clause 5 hereof; excluding in all cases the Excluded Collateral;
Excluded Collateral means the assets that have been charged pursuant to the Nat West Security Agreement; and all Intellectual Property Rights and all exploitation and distribution and other rights and all title, interest and materials with respect to the video game provisionally entitle "Star Citizen";"

In other words, the entire article is pretty much garbage. They may be in trouble, but I doubt it. The money that they're pulling in monthly doesn't reflect that, on top of that the terms of the loan for payment are more then the standard working day period. Which means that the bank believes they have the ability to pay beyond the grace with their current finances. Not gonna say I'm right or wrong, it could be both or not at all though.

CIG's clarification also add's more to this showing that they want to get a head and cash in for tax rebates, plus high-flux of the current exchange rates. And having played forex markets a bit, their move is smart especially the closer that things move towards brexit and May's complete and total disastrous fuckup by running that election as she did.

I will say though I didn't back this at the start, and I still haven't. But we'll see in time as to how this all shakes out.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Op Ed
18. No subject Jun 25, 2017, 13:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Fion wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 12:53:
How on earth do you run out of money when you have $150 million budget? Let alone so out of money that you need a second loan from bankers?
Thing is, they're not running out of money. And "IP collateral" is very common when you have no physical assets. The loan itself is to buy a building for development, likely to reduce costs and to centralize things. Because right now they have people all over the world working on this and their accountant came to him saying "this is costing a lot, this might be better."

edit: I could go down to the bank monday morning and get an IP collateral loan if I wanted one. TDCanadatrust for example has an entire banking division built around it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Op Ed
2. No subject Jun 25, 2017, 11:35 Mashiki Amiketo

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 11:33:
Obligatory...

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

Well I'm not sure if Derek knows how loans work after reading that. Does he think that they just give you money for nothing? In most countries collateral is required, in this case the "game and assets" are the collateral.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > On Sale
3. No subject Jun 23, 2017, 06:13 Mashiki Amiketo

GoG/CDProjekt pulling off what Gearbox couldn't. Remastering Homeworld: Cataclysm. Nice job guys.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans?
27. No subject Jun 17, 2017, 14:15 Mashiki Amiketo

Retired wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 12:50:

sry, should have added /sarcasm

No biggie. I'd just gotten up, having slept 15hrs after nearly 50hrs of being up doing repairs from the last severe storm that rolled through. Brain no worky well.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Warcraft III and Diablo II Remaster Plans?
25. No subject Jun 17, 2017, 08:45 Mashiki Amiketo

Retired wrote on Jun 17, 2017, 07:37:
How are they going to figure out how to do D2 random maps? Seems like such an issue for them currently.....
Random maps really aren't that difficult though. The problem was they believed that people were more interested in just grinding loot vs grinding loot and exploring. To make a random map you only need to make sure that the parcels, plots, pops are properly marked for the engine and there are enough of them. That's one thing they already kinda fixed in D3, the problem is there's a lack of parcels(sections) to plots(the entire area), reducing the amount of random for each map.

If you need to understand how it all works go look at the new xcom or xcom2, and look up how procedurally and random maps are generated.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Space Hulk: Deathwing Return to Olethros Launches
4. No subject Jun 15, 2017, 05:59 Mashiki Amiketo

They had one job: Make a game and let us purge the xeno's. They failed...  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2017, 11:49 Mashiki Amiketo

FYI Bethesda is trying the paid mods thing again. This time it's called "creation kit exclusive content." Wonder how long it'll last this time.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Tropico Teaser
1. No subject Jun 2, 2017, 11:42 Mashiki Amiketo

I hope it's better then the last installment. It was okay and had a very Tropico 3 feel to it, but wasn't anywhere as good as 4.  
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. No subject May 29, 2017, 00:20 Mashiki Amiketo

Agent-Zero wrote on May 28, 2017, 23:38:
it kinda sucks because now there are no brick and mortar local stores that carry DIY crap like resistors and capacitors and wires and all that shit
Gotta be talking about in the US, because in Canada they haven't sold that stuff for ~20 years. Plenty of other B&M stores sprung up to cover that though and they're still going strong.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > Fallout 4 Free Weekend
6. No subject May 25, 2017, 08:21 Mashiki Amiketo

Agent-Zero wrote on May 24, 2017, 21:56:
did anyone ever come up with some mods to really flesh out the settlement mechanic? like roving invaders, etc.

seems like it might be possible to do a kind of FPS 4X or something if you fleshed out enough of those mechanics... faction wars, allied armies, diplomacy, resource harvesting and territory acquisition/defense, etc.

Sim settlements is probably as close as you'll get for now. The author isn't done working on it either, so if you think you want to add a 4x mechanic talk to them.

Ant wrote on May 25, 2017, 04:04:
Ha, I don't have enough RAMs on my ancient gaming box to try it.
It'll run on 2GB with lots of disk thrashing. The real killers are godrays and shadows in the game, if you disable and mess around a bit with the GLOD and LOD, even olde rigs will get along with it.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

News Comments > etc.
10. No subject May 11, 2017, 06:03 Mashiki Amiketo

Creston wrote on May 10, 2017, 21:50:

The thing is, I've been playing Fallout 4 again, and the writing in Andromeda is so bad that it makes the writing in Fallout 4 look fucking great in comparison.

Damn if that isn't true. Then again this is what happens when you hire people based on buddy-buddy-diversity hires instead of the best for the job. On the upside, this is nothing but good for the industry, and shows both investors and companies that gamers don't want piles of shit.

ME:A wasn't a terrible game, but it was nowhere near the level of previous ME games. At best it squeaks out a "good" if you can get past the shitty dialog parts. If you can't, it falls right into the mediocre.

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

4156 Comments. 208 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo