MigrateEasy Apr 15, 2003, 21:48
Apr 15, 2003, 21:48

Blue, I would recommend a serious look at Acronis' MigrateEasy 6.0

http://www.acronis.com/products/migrateeasy/

Re: Longhorn
Mar 11, 2003, 09:42
Re: Longhorn Mar 11, 2003, 09:42
Mar 11, 2003, 09:42

Schnapple, thank you for that. Count me among the muckups.

Mar 11, 2003, 09:16
Re: Longhorn Mar 11, 2003, 09:16
Mar 11, 2003, 09:16

Satyric0n, did you forget about the part where .NET was how we are supposed to be running MS apps in the future? No more CDs to buy or install (didn't I read that somewhere?) My point in mentioning it at all was merely to stress the philosphy behind employing strategies such as .NET, which is more control by MS of the user's computing and internet experience through their bevy of helpful and "seamless" applications.

This comment was edited on Mar 11, 09:17.

Mar 11, 2003, 00:35
Re: Longhorn Mar 11, 2003, 00:35
Mar 11, 2003, 00:35

Fair enough Hiro, here's the extended version.

Actually I think its got a lot to do with .NET, not it specifically, but in MS' plans for trying to position itself (yet again) as YOUR central Hub for all things internet. After tackling email, browser, finances - and just about everything else - now they want to control your gaming experience, everything down from how you patch, to how you meet and play online. Do we REALLY want this?

Obviously the DRM aspect is going to be a big draw, but that nut's already been cracked through use of online key authentication - so no big deal.

Also, since when is the cookie-cutter approach going to work with respect to optimizing netcode? Let's face it, there's no way anything MS does is going to improve on what id has already done in this area. Different genre's will have different needs, but I'm just not sure we want to rely on MS trying to get it all right. Same goes with patching. The problem isn't with patching per se, but in the existence of these infernal patches to begin with. If MS is involved, you can automatically quadruple the patches required due to security holes that WILL be discovered.

And this part about gaming lobbies, which is tied to the issue of netcode, why should MS have anything to do with this, unless its for one of their games? Seems a number of companies (EA excluded) have gotten this right, so why re-invent the wheel here?

Sure all of this will benefit smaller companies, who probably will pay some MS licensing fees in lieu of developing these front ends, but that will also take away jobs from a lot of the programmers that do this stuff now. Not necessarily progress in my view.

Of course MS has done some nice things in spurring PC gaming along, such as with DirectX. But when they can't even support their OWN proprietary game controllers (Sidewinder anyone?) with software updates, what gives you any confidence they're going to solve the whole mess with Longhorn?

Hiro, we're all just a little too tired and a lot jaded to smile benignly on MS' latest one-stop-shopping solution. Improve the OS, make it stable - and leave the real innovation to those who know how.

Mar 10, 2003, 21:29
Re: Longhorn Mar 10, 2003, 21:29
Mar 10, 2003, 21:29

More .NET garbage. I don't want Microsoft doing my online match-making, patching my games, or most anything else. Just more chances of things going wrong and plain not working.

So this is "innovation", combining into one OS what other companies are already doing just fine.

God save us all from innovation!

Xcom sound effects
Dec 11, 2002, 16:58
Xcom sound effects Dec 11, 2002, 16:58
Dec 11, 2002, 16:58

that the XCom sound effects (which may have not been original) ended up in everything from Mechwarrior 3 to
Red Alert.

Ironpoint, don't forget car commercials.

Faking "industry" membership
Dec 11, 2002, 12:30
Faking "industry" membership Dec 11, 2002, 12:30
Dec 11, 2002, 12:30

Like many of you, I've thought about going to E3 from time to time (why should the Man get all the free stuff?).

The kicker seems to be you need to send "2 pieces of Industry identification". Now, it doesn't say original copies, so I'm assuming photocopies are okay (heck, you wouldn't send your Credit Card).

Anyways, here is the list of acceptable IDs. Which would be the easiest to fake for purposes of attending E3?

• Resale Tax Certificate
  • Company Credit Card
  • Insurance Card
  • Business Ads (with business cards)
  • Business License
  • Commercial Lease
  • Paycheck Stub
  • W-2 Form

(Source: http://www.e3expo.com/bin_secure/pdfs/reg_E303.pdf)

Re: Priorities
Nov 26, 2002, 08:49
Re: Priorities Nov 26, 2002, 08:49
Nov 26, 2002, 08:49

Maybe it should be more properly be called a "terrorist simulator". Two guys playing on a LAN head to head... each sees the other as a "terrorist". But if you ask them, oh no... I'm not a terrorist, Im really U.S. Military... the OTHER guy is the terrorist! Which is it really?

Everything you said about comraderie, teamwork, etc. could also be used to the advantage of terrorists. In a post 9/11 world do we really want to be putting this kind of potent training software into the hands of our enemies?

Priorities
Nov 26, 2002, 01:07
Priorities Nov 26, 2002, 01:07
Nov 26, 2002, 01:07

There's something very apropos about the U.S. military pushing out its own version of a murder simulator.

Re: Random thoughts
Nov 18, 2002, 02:14
Re: Random thoughts Nov 18, 2002, 02:14
Nov 18, 2002, 02:14

Ah the Dremel... brings back fond memories of my model-railroading days. The layout that grew and grew and grew...

Re: I want that alpha version...
Nov 9, 2002, 18:41
Re: I want that alpha version... Nov 9, 2002, 18:41
Nov 9, 2002, 18:41

Non-interactive demo
Nov 8, 2002, 19:12
Non-interactive demo Nov 8, 2002, 19:12
Nov 8, 2002, 19:12

Making any judgements from a snapshot intended for a non-interactive demo is ill advised

I would like to comment about JC's statement above. Yes, what people saw at E3 was a "non-interactive demo", as they were sitting in their seats watching this thing. However what many of us have downloaded and experienced these past few days is not a "non-interactive demo". Far from it. Any judgements we make about it will not be from sitting in our seats merely watching, but from playing. We are at the controls. We get to be Fred.

Yes its very early, but what you are seeing here is essentially what you will be seeing a year from now, minus the tweaks, optimization, and a ton of new content.

When I saw the shaky-cam E3 video, I remember wondering about that scene where Fred watches the big slug devour a man in the bathroom, but which is viewed from a 3rd party. Well, when you play the Alpha you get to see how this happens (ie. you walk into the bathroom and this triggers the mini-movie, which then reverts back to you as a player).

There were some other cool things I learned from playing the Alpha thus far, and all told I don't regret downloading it one bit. This is not going to spoil my gaming experience next December in the slightest, no more than it is by viewing the latest screenshots that are posted.

We all know id likes to exert maximum control over their product (which is their perogative). We saw this with E3, and the fact that even with the release of the shaky-cam video, they felt no need to post a legit version for all to share in. The fact that now the Alpha is out, that the horse is out of the barn, nothing can be done. What is is.

Its too bad some people might feel they will be at a major disadvantage discussing this game since they haven't (or won't) try the Alpha. To each his own. My feeling is that there isn't much harm. The Alpha being so unfinished as it is, getting a taste of it is not going to destroy or even impair your gaming experience next December. Still, I respect anyone's decision on this either way.

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 19:18.

Deciding when to report
Nov 4, 2002, 23:17
Deciding when to report Nov 4, 2002, 23:17
Nov 4, 2002, 23:17

Blue, I understand your dilemma in deciding when to report or not.. but I don't think the threshold should be exactly when John Carmack decides to talk about it. If the non-gaming press is picking up on the story, doesn't that make it fair game to report? I only learned of this story after Matt Drudge reported on it, linking to a Slashdot story (to which JC later posted on).

I don't see how reporting on it necessarily contributes to people downloading it.

Blame Canada...
Nov 4, 2002, 00:06
Blame Canada... Nov 4, 2002, 00:06
Nov 4, 2002, 00:06

Well i found out about this first from reading Matt Drudge... who actually put up a link to the slashdot story with the blurb,

"The most anticipated game in history: Doom III by ID Software has been compromised after an Alpha version was leaked..."

Okay, so it was a LITTLE over-the-top.

I think in some ways its surprising that things like this aren't released more often. And no, no one (other than ATI it seems) is gonna be hurt by this. Certainly not iD.

And links? Pls. don't post links. But you might wanna try that Overnet client.

Doom III alpha leak...
Nov 3, 2002, 22:43
Doom III alpha leak... Nov 3, 2002, 22:43
Nov 3, 2002, 22:43

You know, its pretty strange when I find out about the Doom III alpha leak off of Matt Drudge (off all places) and not here at Blues. I mean, can't we even TALK about it? Isn't it News?? Am I missing something here??

So much for Anon posting...
Oct 27, 2002, 00:01
So much for Anon posting... Oct 27, 2002, 00:01
Oct 27, 2002, 00:01

Well, if anything, this thread has confirmed the fact that disabling anon posting did absolutely nothing in raising the overall quality of posting!

As usual, we have excellent posts such as phatboys', and plain ol' stupid posts like insert name here.

Need it be said that no one started a gaming session with the intent of dying? Its not as if these guys began their last game on earth with a stack of quarters piled up next to the monitor and a rubber hose running from some car's exhaust. I doubt it was from simple exhaustion, or we would have heard of more dance-a-thon deaths. Rather, perhaps deep vein thrombosis (DVT) was a factor, or maybe a weak heart. Whatever the cause, count on the media to sensationalize it.

The moronic "cleaning up the gene pool" posts are really both tasteless and tired. That we have a higher degree of sociopaths in the FPS gaming community than the population at large is not news. One need only sample the posts in this thread to confirm that.

Blackhawk down
Oct 25, 2002, 20:32
Blackhawk down Oct 25, 2002, 20:32
Oct 25, 2002, 20:32

I bet their still working on the models for all the skinnies.

Re: Going even further...
Oct 10, 2002, 00:18
Re: Going even further... Oct 10, 2002, 00:18
Oct 10, 2002, 00:18

>>Neither me or my uncles ever got into street fights like >>the NY Times reference suggests as such a common place >>thing among gamers. I tend to take it kind of personally

I believe this is a Korean-thing. There was a story a number of months back about a Lineage related brawl.. after some player had gotten killed in the game. Still, I'm sure its an isolated thing. As usual, the media just runs with it.

Re: People are still playing this POS?
Oct 4, 2002, 16:57
Re: People are still playing this POS? Oct 4, 2002, 16:57
Oct 4, 2002, 16:57

Now, how would I know this would bring out the trolls?

Maybe if your rig didn't suck, you might still be playing. Then again, that assumes you have the attention span.

53 Comments. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older