Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 26319 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2017, 17:43 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 13:11:
It's stuff like this where politicians allow flagrant abuses that help populist candidates rise.

Yes, and we need more populism globally because that's the only thing that's going to end the madness of insane liberalism and unchecked corporate greed. We've let this shit go on for far too long now. If it doesn't stop that will only lead to a much, much worse result in the end for all concerned. Even Obama was smart enough to mention that in his last address....

"For blacks and other minority groups, it means tying our own very real struggles for justice to the challenges that a lot of people in this country face -- not only the refugee, or the immigrant, or the rural poor, or the transgender American, but also the middle-aged white guy who, from the outside, may seem like he's got advantages, but has seen his world upended by economic and cultural and technological change. We have to pay attention, and listen."

We're all sick of being vilified constantly from all side and the assumptions that we all live the life of Reilly. If that's the kind of party women and minorities want to have than fuck yeah, we're going to stick our dicks in the mashed potatoes. If that's how the rich/corporations think they keep up on shafting us sans lube than they're in for a rude fuckin' awakening. The anger our there is palpable these days and unless things get better they're gonna' get a hell of a lot worse.

Mark these words, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we end up at war sometime in the next 4 years. And I mean a major conflict with China. Time to start building those fallout shelters methinks.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > ARK: Survival Evolved Patch Adds Tek Content
11. Re: ARK: Survival Evolved Patch Adds Tek Content Jan 31, 2017, 17:31 Cutter

Nullity wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 12:52:
A little while back, myself and a few friends and coworkers were all considering buying this and setting up our own private server. It looked like it could be a lot of fun. Then less than 2 days later, before we got a chance to coordinate and pull the trigger, they released paid DLC for an early access game.

I audibly let out a jaded sigh of defeat, calmly muttered to myself something to the effect of "for fucks sake, of course they did", and promptly put my virtual wallet away. That was the end of that - they lost about 5-7 sales.

(Before anyone goes there, yes I know the story behind why this happened. However, they certainly went about it the wrong way. If they would have been up front and open about the reasoning from the beginning, I probably would have forgiven them, but that's not what went down.)

I should have been surprised, but I wasn't. This industry has lowered the bar so much, that I just naturally expect shady and shitty practices. It sucks, I want the good old days of gaming back.

There guys are the poster child for why you don't buy EA games. I bought this in June 2015. Played it for a month or two and decided to nuke it until the finished it. Here we are coming up on 2 years later and, as you mentioned, they've released a paid DLC for it, and it's still no where close to ready for primetime. You see recent purchases still complaining about the same shit - as well as new shit - for the last 2 years now.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Early Access
24. Re: Conan Exiles Early Access Jan 31, 2017, 17:25 Cutter

Yeah, watched and hour or two of Twitch streams it's most definitely very early access, like early alpha access from the looks of. If you already own ARK, Subnautica, or any one of a hundred other survival games there's little point in jumping in on this as it looks to be at least a year out, more likely 2. As LittleMe mentioned, it's nuckin' futs they'd want full price for early adopters so yeah I'd wait for several months or at least a price drop/sale.

23. Re: Conan Exiles Early Access Jan 31, 2017, 17:22 Cutter

Malvok wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 14:28:
Teabagging simulator.

No, that would be Ubisoft's game Steep.

12. Re: Conan Exiles Early Access Jan 31, 2017, 13:19 Cutter

Gonna watch some Twitch streams to get a better idea.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2017, 13:12 Cutter

Xirgu wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 11:29:
great vid on the construction failures, especially the last one

Wow for the Hyatt Regency skywalk fiasco. That was just insane, I sure hope some people were jailed over that one. I don't recall hearing about that as a kid but usually remember that sort of stuff. I think that sort of stuff was always a big part of my fascination with disaster movies like Earthquake, The Towering Inferno, et al.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 31, 2017, 12:31 Cutter

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 31, 2017, 09:43:
Lots of good American engineers out there that they don't hire. Good reality check for the tech industry.

Exactly. There is no shortage of qualified workers at home, just cheap, greedy employers who don't want to pay fairly for their skills. Fuck them. Wish we could get that sort of sanity up here.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week
4. Re: Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week Jan 30, 2017, 21:43 Cutter

Specs are a pigfucker.

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor
5. Re: Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor Jan 30, 2017, 21:40 Cutter

I wouldn't doubt Obsidian is working on something FO but I'd imagine they'd negotiate a better contract this time around. I doubt it'd be Vegas again as there's no reason to return to it. Far better to keep moving around the country or the world for that matter. That would be interesting actually, take it to some other places around the globe. Yeah they deffo need a new engine, although I'd prefer a return to isometric for sure.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 16:20 Cutter

sauron wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 15:53:
Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 13:30:
Typical Ars sensationalism. So science everywhere is suffering because of Trump, eh? Not just a few US scintists who work for the government but all science. Rolleyes

Agreed that's not a very good article. However, there is a strong precedent for science having a rough and rocky time under Republican administrations. For example, NIH funding in my overall research area (Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NINDS) dropped severely under the Bush government, to 9% of all applications for Research Grants, down from 22% of all applications under Clinton. Funding recovered to 15% of all applications under Obama. The same trends occurred throughout the NIH funding apparatus. Bush simply allotted less money to scientific research than the presidents that preceded and followed him.

There are other examples. The most severe was probably Nixon, who went so far as to rescind some federal research grants in healthcare research that had already been awarded. He retrospectively canceled research into new therapies for human disease. That was pretty extreme and had not been seen before, or since.

What are the benefits to public research? Seems to me like most things related to government the costs are socialized but any profits to be made end up privatized. So in that case why fund it at all? With maybe the exception of things like tracking wildlife and things of that nature it seems to me that most areas of government research already have their privatized counterparts. If, for example, the government cured cancer tomorrow do you really think they'd be curing everyone for free?

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 16:13 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 15:13:
Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 13:30:
Typical Ars sensationalism. So science everywhere is suffering because of Trump, eh? Not just a few US scintists who work for the government but all science. Rolleyes

Science thrives on shared information. The government produces a broad spectrum of raw scientific data used in both the public and private sectors. Trumps actions affect the broader scientific community, not just a few government scientists.

I don't disagree but my contention here is with Ars in this case. Sometimes that site and all it's douchebag posers really gets on my tits.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 13:30 Cutter

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
23. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 20:51 Cutter

grudgebearer wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 20:31:
Did they take the time to put in a 'white knight' class for you during the years of delay?

Ok, I lol'd pretty hard at that. Nice one.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2017, 20:00 Cutter

1badmf wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 19:32:
BobBob wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 17:53:
Thoughts on this weekend's travel bans and protests? Will it continue or get thrown out by the higher courts?

it's pretty clearly unconstitutional - ignores due process, violates first amendment among other things. not that trump cares about it, his majesty will use executive orders like royal decrees and clog the courts up for years when most of them turn out to be gross violations. but as long as he gets to shout from the ultimate rooftop like the ultimate lunatic he's happy.

The Patriot Act is also unconstitutional, yet it exists. Lots of things are unconstitutional yet they exist. That's the beauty of terrorism post 9/11 for those in power, all they have to say is 'Because terrorism.' Besides, technically he hasn't done anything wrong. The executive order only puts the entire VISA process on pause for 120 days for a review of the process. They technically haven't denied anyone anything, it's just a 4 month timeout. And ultimately the GOP control everything now so you can bet the law will be changed and then it'll no longer be unconstitutional. The writing is on the wall already., If you're looking to move to or work in the US in the next 4 years you may as well just forget it and look elsewhere. That's what they want people to understand with this.

Oh yeah, here's a nice infographic on executive orders by prez....

Executive Orders by Prez

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2017, 17:42 Cutter

I like pre-season simply because it's the first football we've had in 8 months. But yeah, don't know anyone who's a fan of the Pro-Bowl. U wouldn't even bother with the skills comp. By the end of the season most of the guys are so banged up and tired they're not in top form. I know if I was playing in the NFL that's the last thing I'd want to do at the end of the season. Just give it a bye-week before the SB and that's it.

News Comments > Torment Stretch Goal Changes
17. Re: Torment Stretch Goal Changes Jan 29, 2017, 17:37 Cutter

Jerykk wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 15:56:
People really need to learn what Kickstarter is. When you back a Kickstarter, you shouldn't treat it like pre-ordering a product or making an investment. Instead, you are essentially donating money to an idea. That's it. It's better to think of it like Patreon. If the idea comes to fruition, that's great but there are no guarantees. If you back a Kickstarter and expect that the release date and stretch goals are part of an ironclad contract, you've already missed the point.

People also need to learn how game development works. It isn't an exact science. Ideas that sound good on paper may not work so well in practice. Iteration leads to better games and during the process, things will be changed or cut for the better of the product as a whole. If you can't accept this, you shouldn't be Kickstarting games.

Wrong all the way around. It is in investment and the law comes down on that side of it, as it should. It's a contract, plain and simple. You offer me XYZ product and/or service for X amount of whatever it is you want, money, time, coconuts, etc. and that's a contract. And yes, it is ironclad. Point in fact, more and more DAs are prosecuting crowdfunders who fail to deliver on their obligations all the time. So, you really need to learn what contract law is.

No, the consumer doesn't need to learn how game development works anymore than they need to learn how to build an airplane in order to take a flight somewhere. That's not their responsibility. If the developer can't deliver on time and on budget than they're the one that clearly needs the education. Like everyone else in this world, don't make promises you can't keep.

If you the wife contract me to build an addition on to your home with a nice new veranda running around the house and pay me up front for it you're going to be pretty pissed if I don't deliver what was agreed upon, right? 'Well I know I took the money for everything but I only delivered half of what was promised because I don't know how to cost or budget time and money, but hey that's cool, right? I mean you guys don't a have a problem with that, yeah?'

Yeah, I'm sure you'd just say 'Oh sure, no problem at all. Here, in fact have more money for doing nothing!'

Rolleyes

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
14. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 29, 2017, 12:58 Cutter

The QB is not god. He's limited by his team and coaching staff. That's why you see some guys flourish on certain teams and do poorly on others. It's an entire mix of elements. Every time the Packers play all you ever hear from the commentators, (ex) players, is how fucking awesome Rodgers is. Yeah, there haven been loads of good QBs but he's the Gretzky/Jordan of fgotball.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
9. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jan 29, 2017, 01:14 Cutter

afka Rossini wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 19:00:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 28, 2017, 18:26:
Ah, yes. The greatest quarterback of all times. 49ers 4ever!!!
At least until next Sunday. As much as I hate to admit it, if Brady wins next week, he'll supplant Montana as number one.

Aaron Rodgers is currently the best QB there's ever been. Brady is up there I'll grant you but that's more about a rock solid team, coaching, and cheating. Yes, the cheating matters too. Had Rodgers ended up in Beantown they'd have never lost a Superbowl yet. Rodgers is it and it's not up for debate. There's a universal consensus on that by any honest football fan.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 28, 2017, 17:37 Cutter

Never gets old, Blue.

Bleh! Was always a big fan of John Hurt. Like him in pretty much everything. Fave roles of his were as the psychotic spy in The Osterman Weekend - that was just a really good flick all around, 1984, and The Hit - must see if you haven't seen it.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jan 28, 2017, 12:51 Cutter

Golly, what a surprise...said no one ever.

26319 Comments. 1316 pages. Viewing page 44.
< Newer [ 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo