Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 25816 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 Vive La France Next Week
1. Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Vive La France Next Week Nov 28, 2016, 20:42 Cutter

Really looking forward to this! Tout le monde!

"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!" - Royal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 18:14 Cutter

Pigeon wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 17:55:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 17:11:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 15:59:
Jesus, thought I was having a good day until I saw someone won the entire US$421,000,000.00 Powerball jackpot. Talk about Christmas come early!
Ha! Yeah, must be nice. I buy Powerball and MegaMillions tickets even now and then, usually when the pot is high like this, but didn't know about this one until I saw the news about the win.

I understand the math reasons for not buying them, but my personal spin has always been that I'm as likely to win as anyone else, so why not throw away 5-10 bucks? Hell, that's less than the price of eating dinner out. If nothing else it's worth it for the daydreaming about what I'll do if I win.

That's pretty much what I do, 5-10 bucks every couple of weeks for the slimmest of chances I can be set for life. The last time I bought a ticket I found $10 in the parking lot. I was hoping my view of how the universe works was wrong and that luck was a contagious disease I'd caught that day. Unfortunately my paradigm held true, I didn't match a single damn number.

Yeah, I win a ticket and $2/5/10 bucks regularly enough that it most pays for itself. I'm not heavy into the lottery. I usuall by an Ontario 49 for a buck once a week and that's a standard $2 million jackpot. I won $50 on it a few months back so that basically pays for a year of tickets right there. And I'll spend a bit more on the more expensive tickets - as you said, and probably like most everyone - when the jackpot is large enough to warrant the gamble - which in Canada is in the $30-$50 million dollar range. It never ceases to amaze me how many people you see that just spend mad bank on it buying shit loads of different tickets, scratch and wins, etc. all the time. It's like, 'So, that's your retirement plan, eh? Good luck with that.'

"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!" - Royal

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 28, 2016, 18:08 Cutter

Rigs wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 17:26:
Hmmm, soon you'll have to take out a mortgage just for a phone...or a 52-month loan like on a car! Fucking ridiculous!

=-Rigs-=

No one is forcing anyone to make those vanity purchases. I paid $150'ish bucks for a work phone - a tough phone thast's waterproof and shatterproof - 6'ish years ago and I still use it today as it works just fine for what it's supposed to do.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 15:59 Cutter

Jesus, thought I was having a good day until I saw someone won the entire US$421,000,000.00 Powerball jackpot. Talk about Christmas come early!  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 15:56 Cutter

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 15:49:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 15:10:
They are overpriced IMO but for this iteration of cards and price points the 1060 is the better card as it runs 10-15 degrees cooler on average and sips the same amount of power. The only upside to the 480 at this point is you can use it in SLI where you can't with the 1060 and that's really not a concern of mine. And as for the price being "a bit more" the price between the cheapest 1060 and 1070 at Canada Computers at the moment is $155 dollars with most cards seeing a difference of $200 plus. That's a pretty substantial "bit more" for an extra 2 gigs of memory and what amounts to about an overall 25% improvement over the 1060.

Cutter, no! Don't do that! Click here instead and browse or check out Newegg since they have 'in cart' sales which won't show up on aggregator sites.

Yeah, I just found them thanks. I was using CC as point of reference to illustrate that $200'ish bucks is a hell of a lot more than a bit more.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 15:10 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 14:47:
Cutter wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 12:43:
Anyone have any thoughts on a GTX 1060. I'm tossing up either Asus or MSI at this point. Any other brand recs - excepting Sapphire and Gigabyte as my experiences with them have been bad? I've seen some good reviews for some other brands like HIS, Zotac, PNY, but don't know anything about them.

Save up a bit more and go with a 1070. But then again I thought you weren't going to get a Nvidia card because they were overpriced brand named items?

They are overpriced IMO but for this iteration of cards and price points the 1060 is the better card as it runs 10-15 degrees cooler on average and sips the same amount of power. The only upside to the 480 at this point is you can use it in SLI where you can't with the 1060 and that's really not a concern of mine. And as for the price being "a bit more" the price between the cheapest 1060 and 1070 at Canada Computers at the moment is $155 dollars with most cards seeing a difference of $200 plus. That's a pretty substantial "bit more" for an extra 2 gigs of memory and what amounts to about an overall 25% improvement over the 1060.

Plus I'm gaming at 1080p and have no plans to swap my monitor anytime soon. And then there's real life. This has been an expensive summer as I've done a lot of renos around here, built some new furniture, including a bed frame for my new memory foam matress - which is awesome btw - and had to drop 2k on my ride, and I still need 2 new rims and tires so that's going to set me back at least another $500. So yeah, at this point the well has run dry and that $150-$200 difference is too much at this point in time.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 14:56 Cutter

Wallshadows wrote on Nov 28, 2016, 14:03:
If you're using the G1, it runs that hot because it has less area to dissipate heat but, that being said, 80*C is still well within tolerance especially if you're only using the default fan profiles. I can't speak for their support though other than their three year warranty is nice.

My go-to brand has always been MSI so I cannot recommend them enough. The look of their hardware is immaculate and their support is top knotch which is why I don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks. EVGA being the runner up when it comes to nVidia partners and I avoid ASUS almost entirely due to their heavy markup in spite of being quality product.

If it were my choice, I'd take the 1060 and never look back. Fortunately, my 290x is overbuilt like a brick shit house and is still chewing bubblegum so I can skip this generation.

On another note, I bought Deathwing after watching some streams by Chapter Master Valrak and it's okay. It definitely needs some work to iron out an almost game-breaking bug where you lose all keyboard input except movement at random and the sound system leaves much to be desired especially when it comes to reminding you that you're in Terminator armor to the point where power armor from Fallout 4 feels and sounds better. The UI is straight from a PS1 FPS too and the melee is as basic as it gets. Performance is only ever an issue when there's literally stacks of corpses up to your waist because we didn't realize we were near a nest so they kept spawning by the dozens.

Still fun though!

Yeah, that'll teach me to simply peruse reviews instead of giving them the attention they deserve particularly with heat and power issues. I've spent the past several days now sifting through a ton of comparisons on the 1060 vs. the 480 and you're right so that's what I'll be grabbing soon as I see a good deal on one for ASUS or MSI.

BTW for all you VR cats, how important are the HDMI slots? I've seen a lot of people commenting that ASUS cards are the only ones coming out right now with dual HDMI slots which makes them a better candidate for VR. Not like I'll be jumping on VR tomorrow but a bit of futureproofing is always nice in the event I decide to take the plunge in the next year or two.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 14:46 Cutter

Well it turns out the Gigayte was borked anyway as they tested in the shop after I told them. And given they were completely out of the same card after the run on them on Black Friday they had to refund my money...entirely. So no 10% restocking fee bullshit. And on top of that I still got my free copy of Civ 6. Everything's coming up Milhouse!

They had a really good price on a 6GB MSI 1060 but were sold out on those as well. And as all the cards I'm looking at have their MIR rebate cycle end Nov. 30th I'll be waiting a few days and see what the Xmas sales bring. So if anyone see's a good deal on 1060s in the next week or two give a shout out please and thanks.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 12:43 Cutter

Anyone have any thoughts on a GTX 1060. I'm tossing up either Asus or MSI at this point. Any other brand recs - excepting Sapphire and Gigabyte as my experiences with them have been bad? I've seen some good reviews for some other brands like HIS, Zotac, PNY, but don't know anything about them.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 28, 2016, 10:39 Cutter

Yeah, I hope it's a thing. I'm returning my Gigabyte RX 480 as A) it's defective B) it's garbage. The thing runs at 80c under load! And Gigabyte support? Mon-Fri 9-5. Seriously? For a global multi-national company where people the world over will obviously need immediate support on their products and they're too cheap to provide it? Never bought Gigabyte before, never will again.

So after spending the weekend doing a hell of a lot more research I'm either looking at grabbing an MSI or Asus board instead, or switching gears and going with a 6G Nvidia 1060 - either EVGA, MSI, or ASUS.

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Nov 27, 2016, 14:52 Cutter

Yeah, the upgrade option expired. Besides most mods will never be ported over including SkyUI so there's not a whole lot of point in grabbing it.

SkyUI not in the works for Skyrim SE

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 27, 2016, 12:28 Cutter

So what? When has politics ever been anything but a dirty affair? I don't see Corey bitching about how mainstream media fucked over Bernie and raked Trump over the coals every chance they got. Pot meet kettle.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 27, 2016, 12:23 Cutter

I remember Barney Miller as a kid, great show.

And I love what Malcolm's son did there. Most punk statement ever!

News Comments > Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence
21. Re: Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence Nov 26, 2016, 21:06 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 18:35:
Prez wrote on Nov 26, 2016, 17:56:
I never really get the "too little too late" comments that get thrown around whenever a dev tries to update a game that wasn't what it should have been at launch. If you paid $60 for the game, isn't developer support post launch a good thing?

It's the PR Fluff piece that totally ignores that the game launched without explicit features.
But you don't sit there and try to polish yourself up by saying 'we spent 5 years developing a game, 6 weeks updating a broken game (even after changing the release date multiple times), 7 patches, and THEN have the balls to talk about adding crap to a game instead of offering what was original promised.
Not to mention this is the 1st response from Hello Games beyond patch notes since the games launch.

Had they been upfront and honest about features, reduced the price of the game, and not had a communication blackout, things (pretty sure) would be different from a consumer standpoint. But as it stands, Hello Games can go fuck themselves.

With a big floppy penis!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 26, 2016, 12:37 Cutter

"Lt. Scott Shaw of the Reno Police Department told KOLO that shortly after 6 p.m. Thursday, two drivers got into an argument apparently over a parking spot. According to Fox 6, both parties involved in the argument were armed and a 33-year-old man was shot dead at the scene."

And the GOP says gun control is a bad thing. I suppose it isn't...from the point of view of a social Darwinist.

Farm Simulator 17 obviously needs an Ant Farm DLC, right Ant?!

That honest trailer was weak sauce.

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 26, 2016, 12:21 Cutter

If the fix is in a recount won't matter. It was like the Warren Commission claiming Oswald acted alone.

News Comments > Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence
3. Re: Hello Games Breaks No Man's Sky Silence Nov 26, 2016, 12:17 Cutter

So let me guess the things to come will cost money, right? All those things that they said you could do in the base game will actually cost you is what I'm wagering on. I still don't forsee it making a difference. What's the point of having a huge universe if you're just on one planet doing a survival sim there?

News Comments > Black Friday Safety Dance
18. Re: Black Friday Safety Dance Nov 25, 2016, 22:27 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 22:07:
Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 25, 2016, 21:23:
On a more common sense approach, the GOP is always complaining about voter fraud and the need for voter id laws. Yet somehow, they have a majority in the House, in the Senate, something like 30 of the state legislatures and just won the Presidency. What percentage of the representation do you think would be GOP if it wasn't for all this cheating? 90%? It doesn't even pass the smell test.
Interestingly Dems got more votes for House, more for Senate, and more for POTUS. Yet they control none.

And yet if the situation were reversed they'd be screaming 'Bloody Murder!'. We wouldn't hear the end of it. And of course they had no problem with it in Florida with Bush and Gore.

News Comments > On Sale
5. Re: On Sale Nov 25, 2016, 18:28 Cutter

What's aggravating is where the base game is on sale but not the DLC...yet. I want to pick up Season of Infamy for Arkham Knight but it's not on sale even though the base game is. Same with FO4, some DLC is on sale but not the season pass, grr.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 25, 2016, 13:00 Cutter

Well it's about 4 years since I last upgraded my card - ASUS 3GB 7980 - but it's been on it's last legs for a little while now so for Xmas today I treated myself to a new Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming 8G. It was $40 off for Black Friday at Canada Computers and there's one just down the street from me so I popped over and they weren't even busy so yay me. I'm effing amped to get this installed and fire it up so I'll catch y'all on the flipside!

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot it comes bundled with Civ 6 so that saves me $80 clams right there...schwing!

25816 Comments. 1291 pages. Viewing page 42.
< Newer [ 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo