Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 26974 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
5. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 17, 2017, 19:04 Cutter

Like kids today know who Atari is. Why would they want a console. Even MS and Sony want to get out of the market.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2017, 19:03 Cutter

That just flabbergasts me. 'Hrm, which one was it again? Oh well, 50/50 shot at this, here we go!' You'd think last second for something this important you'd be double checking, 'Was it the left or the right one? My left or the other left?' If I had been the guy I probably would have just drawn an X in red magic marker on the side of my bag and told the Doc, 'X marks the spot.'

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Jun 16, 2017, 21:56 Cutter

Man, that was straight up gangsta.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2017, 20:21 Cutter

panbient wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 18:34:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 14:37:
Cutter, I assume a major reason for what you are describing is the lack of a profit motivation. You don't have any billion dollar corporate hospitals building new facilities to make even more billions. I'd agree with most of what you said, socialized medicine works great for some things, not so great for other things. And the system we have in the US is only great if either you are employed by a large employer with a good insurance plan, or if you have the cash.

While I agree that profit is a factor I think the bigger issue is the vastness of Canada - especially trying to provide coverage to more rural and remote parts of the country. Rural doctors are tough to come by and that's just for a general practitioner.

At the same time the government can't really diminish the value of the rural population and openly establish a multi-tiered system though in reality if you don't live in a major area you're pretty well screwed for service.

What I'd really like to see is a focus on the basics (including basic dental and optical exams - but pay for your own braces and glasses) and then not necessarily privatize specialized procedures but anything that is elective should be paid for by the patient. The old example being the removal of a wart - it's an inconvenient blemish but otherwise inconsequential (unless it's on your face / genitals), but some people will insist on visiting a doctor to have it frozen and removed. Because god forbid they suffer the indignity of having to face their peers in the local pharmacy with a package of Compound W for a little bump on their finger.

Zackly I spend close to the last 5 years trying to find a family doctor because I don't live in the big city anymore, and I'm not even fully out in the boonies. And the more remote and further away the worse it is. It's bizarre because you'd think as a doctor you can work in a small town with cheap property and low cost of living and still make the same money you'd make in the city. I'd love to have that advantage for work.

And yeah we desperately need basic dental. Over half of all Canadians can't afford to see a dentist - which also says a lot about how far out of line dentist pricing their work is. So much overall health is tied to oral health that it costs society literally billions in wasted tax dollars because of it.

I haven't had dental insurance in over 5 years now and had to get a few teeth pulled instead of fixed. So this year I'm looking at heading to Cuba or Mexico for implants. There's a massive market for this with literally 10's of 1000's of Canadians doing this every year with even more Americans doing it in Mexico. For less than a 1/4 of it would cost me here I also get a vacation out of the deal.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2017, 20:14 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 19:19:
panbient wrote on Jun 16, 2017, 18:34:
What I'd really like to see is a focus on the basics (including basic dental and optical exams - but pay for your own braces and glasses) and then not necessarily privatize specialized procedures but anything that is elective should be paid for by the patient.
It might be a "US problem", but the pricing on glasses these days, especially for things like progressive bifocals, borders on the ridiculous...

Try Eye Buy Direct. Just bought a pair of glasses from them for $50 - whole shebang and shipping - and I'm very happy with the result. Actually even better! The frames I selected are tad too small for my face so I asked for a refund - they have a 14 day refund no questions asked - and they told me to just keep them or donate them and pick a new pair and they'd adjust the price up or down accordingly if the new frames are more or less, or I could return the glasses for a full refund if I wanted. That's good customer service. On top of that the box they ship in comes with a jeweller screwdriver if you ever need to adjust or tighten them up and the lens quality is really good. Prior I got a cheap pair from Walmart as I don't have insurance for that sort of thing and the quality was fucking terrible. So if you need some cool new glasses cheap give them a try.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jun 16, 2017, 19:55 Cutter

State has no business in dealing with end of life issues. If someone wants to commit suicide that's their business and not Big Brother's or the Xtian right-wing extremists out there to interfere. Plenty of people out there who want and desperately need all kinds of help, so help them.

Gene Simmons, the biggest douchebag in Rock'n'Roll history.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 16, 2017, 14:28 Cutter

There's one spot where US medicine shines. One of the major problems with a bureaucracy heavy system is takes forever to change and update things. The test they use for Lyme here is the really simple, old blood test they've been using since the 50s - the one that actually fails to properly diagnose Lyme most of the time. So a lot of people have to end up going to the US to get one of the newer, better tests done, and they run about $1000 bucks for the uninsured - which is absurd and the bad thing about US medicine.

Same with most other stuff. The procedures they use for the nose surgery I had are about a 100 times better and safer down there. And when I asked the doctor why they're not using them here he said it was funding. They'd been asking for a lot of this stuff for a decade and they're always told no. So, yes, for the small stuff socialized medicine is great, for the more major stuff, it's lousy - the exception being parts of Europe like France and Germany where it's all a better overall experience.

As we get older and have more problems I forsee a lot more people in this country - myself included - looking at picking up some sort of foreign health insurance in the event of any major issues. They throw oodles of money at it here and inexplicably it's like medicine and hospitals in this country are stuck in the 1950s.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 16, 2017, 13:54 Cutter

After sprinting home and going with her mom straight to the hospital, her dad collected the dead beast in a Taste of the Wild dog food bag and handed it over to the Maine Warden Service.

And they felt the need to plug that dog food because? Honestly that whole article is really weird. I'd swear it was something from The Onion. That whole website is weird.

News Comments > It Came from E3 2017, Part 8
2. Re: It Came from E3 2017, Part 8 Jun 16, 2017, 13:50 Cutter

I always thought they should do these things in the center of the US so it's more accessible for everyone to reach instead of having to cross the entire country if it's not on your coast. They'd be a lot cheaper to host and attend too.

News Comments > Agony Delayed; New Trailer
3. Re: Agony Delayed; New Trailer Jun 16, 2017, 13:46 Cutter

Meh, I'd much rather see a good CRPG based on Dante's Inferno, or even Roger Zelazny's Azzie series.

3. Re: Into the Black Jun 15, 2017, 22:02 Cutter

Straight up dick. No wonder the dicks at Boingboing like him.

News Comments > Pathfinder Adventures Released
1. Re: Pathfinder Adventures Released Jun 15, 2017, 21:49 Cutter

I really wish Paizo would just make an NWN style game for Pathfinder.

6. removed Jun 15, 2017, 11:27 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 15, 2017, 12:00.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 15, 2017, 11:25 Cutter

Conversely, a life without french fries is a life not worth living. If American's are confused as to what they are, you call them Freedom Fries, which you purchase with your currency, Freedom Dollars.

Toff

News Comments > It Came from E3 2017, Part 6
1. Re: It Came from E3 2017, Part 6 Jun 15, 2017, 11:02 Cutter

I wouldn't stand in line for 10 minutes for a 10 minute demo.

News Comments > Call Of Cthulhu Trailer
1. Re: Call Of Cthulhu Trailer Jun 15, 2017, 10:59 Cutter

Yeah, I dunno. Have to wait for the reviews on this one. Looks like it's just a jump scare game and I was hoping for so much more.

3. Re: Into the Black Jun 15, 2017, 00:47 Cutter

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 22:34:
Hard to believe that we used to have an economy which would sustain such labor...

Yeah, I suppose those sorts of jobs were ok for people of chimp level intelligence aka Trump supporters but for anyone else it's like serving a sentence. It's probably for the best they're gone.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jun 15, 2017, 00:31 Cutter

And that's why cash will always be king. I don't use debit at all and am always careful with the CC too. Never had a problem, yet I know loads of people who keep getting their identity/debit/CC/etc stolen, hacked etc. And they just never learn.

News Comments > Archangel Video
1. Re: Archangel Video Jun 15, 2017, 00:18 Cutter

Why not make a game about an Archangel where you can fly around and lay waste n' stuff in Gawd's name?

Gun Salesman: We call this piece the Fecalator. One look at it and the target shits him or herself. Try it on.

Loki: Well, it's a lot more compact than the flaming sword, but it's not nearly as impressive. Just doesn't have that Wrath-of-the-Almighty edge to it. I mean, come on, how am I supposed to strike fear into the hearts of the wicked with this thing? Look at this...

Bartleby: Well, then, you know, don't use a gun. Just lay the place to waste, like.

Loki: Easy for you to say. You get off light in razing. You got to stand there and read at Sodom and Gomorrah, I had to do all the work.

Bartleby: What work did you do? You lit a few fires.

Loki: I rained down sulphur, man, there's a subtle difference.

Bartleby: Oh, yeah, I'm sure.

Loki: Hey, you know, fuck you, man. Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial man. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer.

News Comments > No PC Just Dance 2018
4. Re: No PC Just Dance 2018 Jun 15, 2017, 00:13 Cutter

Can't wait for the VR version, 'Let's Bang!'

26974 Comments. 1349 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo