Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 26297 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > Brian Fargo to Retire After Wasteland 3
3. Re: Brian Fargo to Retire After Wasteland 3 Mar 24, 2017, 00:32 Cutter

"Wasteland 2 and Torment both came out great,"

Uh, no they did not. The magic is gone. Time to move along.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2017, 15:01 Cutter

I'm guessing quite a few of you use TV android boxes. Me Ma wants one as she's a big TV watcher and wants to cut the cable. I'm the exact opposite and could care less but seeing as I'm the tech guy I said I'd look into it. Now he uses a MyGica box but from what I can glean so far they're massively overpriced because it's just a box with all the software preloaded.

So looking at Amazon Canada they have these Android boxes

Which are more reasonable in the sub $50 dollar range. Are those the same things? Come with KODI or you're able to install KODI to them? Something that's good for 4K and decent memory so it's a bit futreproofed. Any recs? Thanks!

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2017, 14:56 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 13:51:
The US has 23.5 square feet of retail space per person, compared with 16.4 square feet in Canada and 11.1 square feet in Australia, the next two countries with the most retail space per capita

Ah the gross excesses of America are just returning to earth then.

I hate shopping so I always try to buy online which lets me get exactly what I need quickly. I suppose the exception is clothing where I need to try stuff on. The list sort of bears that out as dedicated clothing retailers are closing the fewest stores. Not sure what is going on with Payless though. Maybe bad management?

It's true. It's always sort of mind-boggling as a Canuck whenever you head to "Murica of how many malls - major and strip - there are and the size of them and the variety in them. You guys have assloads more different stores that us. It's a mall culture unlike anywhere else.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2017, 12:14 Cutter

Yeah, been seeing a lot of news about this retail pockylips. In Canada it's different however. We don't have that same economy of scale so we never get free shipping or it has to be a massive amount in order to qualify for it thereby making it useless. Still, most stuff you used to go to brick and motar for you can get online cheaper and faster. The only thing I'll never buy online are clothes.

The major retailers in particular need a serious rethink and to scale down massively. Prsonally I never understoof the draw of walking through these huge stores. It's always a pain in the ass finding what you want and takes way too much time. I just want to get in and get out as fast as possible with minimum effort.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2017, 11:43 Cutter

Yeah, no shit. As always it comes down to spending money doing the right thing...or executive bonuses. We all know what always wins.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 22, 2017, 22:58 Cutter

Stop buying from those asshole companies that treat you like an atm in that case.

News Comments > Arma 3 Free and Paid DLC Plans
2. Re: Arma 3 Free and Paid DLC Plans Mar 22, 2017, 22:33 Cutter

Yeah, my cousin is heavily into this. Plays with some hardcore guild, always wants me to join but I just can't get that emotionally invested in this sort of thing.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 22, 2017, 20:08 Cutter

Yeah I love how the GOP and their lobbyists always claim consumer protection laws are bad because they "confuse" consumers. I mean, after all, do people really need to know who's raping them?

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2017, 17:36 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 15:44:
You truly do miss so much working remotely, despite the loss of personal efficiency.

Like you said, it's really more about what the company does and who's doing what. Regardless, in consideration for your employees you're still better off locating a physical presence somewhere with a lower cost of living. There's really no need to be in high cost areas in major cities anymore.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta
11. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 13:01 Cutter

Primalchrome wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 11:33:
Because they do a better job? Because they handle distribution and patching? Because of the free marketing? Community resources? Steam Workshop? Shrug. I realize that people get hung up on the 30% thing, which looks obscene from a consumer's view. But that number isn't really that far out there when you look at distribution models and the assorted services being provided. That's a huge development/infrastructure/maintenance package to float for most companies....

What "free marketing"? They're paying - 30% - for it. Bandwith is cheap and so is everything else you mentioned. 30 points for essentially doing nothing is outrageous. Even if it was a full-on concierge service it would still be outrageous. Shit, I dropped using mobile payments for my biz because they charged 3% per transaction. Same reason you see more and more businesses just dealing in cash. Why would I pay them a total percentage for a single transaction that literally costs them pennies - even fractional cents in large enough volumes. Why do think Steam is worth billions? No, if I was selling games I wouldn't use Steam either.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 22, 2017, 10:49 Cutter

Yeah, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind was a good flick. I too watched The Gong Show when I was a kid.

Hyperloop? Yeah, I'd be happy with a decent rail and transit service. As would most people in most cities. Who the hell is going to pay for a hyperloop? That falls into the 'interesting but utterly useless and never going to happen' category.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 22, 2017, 10:42 Cutter

Crime in Chicago? Gasp!
Wry

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2017, 10:33 Cutter

In a video message, Peluso, formerly the CEO of fashion startup Gilt, explained the “only one recipe I know for success.”

Well there's your problem right there, Vern.

Its ingredients included great people, the right tools, a mission, analysis of results, and one more thing: “really creative and inspiring locations.”

Problem #2.

IBM had decided to “co-locate” the US marketing department, about 2,600 people, which meant that all teams would now work together, “shoulder to shoulder,” from one of six different locations—Atlanta, Raleigh, Austin, Boston, San Francisco, and New York. Employees who worked primarily from home would be required to commute, and employees who worked remotely or from an office that was not on the list (or an office that was on the list, but different than the one to which their teams had been assigned) would be required to either move or look for another job.

How fucking boneheaded is that? So now you're not only needlessly uprooting people you're massively increasing operating costs. Most of these drones are in the sub-50k category. Well how you expect them to live in NYC, SF, etc. on that kind of salary? They can't so they'll all require massive raises. Then you need the offices and equipment which will run into the 10s of millions, if not hundreds of millions of dollars to have them in these "inspiring" places.

And lastly, as Creston noted why in the fucking fuck do they have 2600 people in marketing? That's just insane. Who hired this stupid cow? They and her need to be terminated ASAP.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 21, 2017, 22:51 Cutter

There's no point in posting paywall articles and the WSJ is just that.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Mar 21, 2017, 19:51 Cutter

So senior citizens and vets who need meals-on-wheels can go fuck themselves but the elites still get to go to space for no reason.

News Comments > Statesman Coming to Master X Master; Beta Next Month
5. Re: Statesman Coming to Master X Master; Beta Next Month Mar 21, 2017, 14:41 Cutter

Not like I'd want NC to do a new hero game anyway. Still never fails to amaze me the lack of superhero games out there.

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 21, 2017, 11:17 Cutter

El Pit wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 10:54:
Instead, Apple most likely even got tax payers' money in support. This is how business works nowadays: take it from the poor, give it to the rich. Robin wears a hoodie, remember?

Well of course they did. They're operating there and making use of services provided by and/or subsidized by the taxpayer and they're contributing to none of that. So not only are they not paying anything they're costing the taxpayers even more. Well maybe the Apple supporting idiots of NZ will finally wake up tot that fact.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2017, 10:52 Cutter

17 Questions to ask Before Hiring your Next Contractor

Mike Holmes: It’s your own fault if the contractor you hire is a dud

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 21, 2017, 10:43 Cutter

Stop supporting Apple! Only assholes support them.

News Comments > Statesman Coming to Master X Master; Beta Next Month
1. Re: Statesman Coming to Master X Master; Beta Next Month Mar 21, 2017, 10:32 Cutter

Why don't they do what people really want, a new CoH. Jackasses!

26297 Comments. 1315 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo