Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description Rockin' dude!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 25088 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Oct 13, 2016, 19:33 Cutter

All this and no mention of the environmental nightmare all this tech causes. I really wish governments would start taxing the shit of electronics to stop this planned obsolesce bullshit. We need to get back to repairing and keeping things as long as possible. That and make modular upgrading a much better alternative to buying new.

"There are two kinds of people in this world; people who love delis, and people you shouldn’t associate with.” - Damon Runyan
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Star Citizen Trailer
1. Re: Star Citizen Trailer Oct 13, 2016, 19:30 Cutter

Yeah! Travelling around huge empty planets is always what players want! Who wants the thrill of space combat in a tightly controlled narrative like Wing Commander when you can ride a land speeder around a big empty world with nothing to do?

Wry

"There are two kinds of people in this world; people who love delis, and people you shouldn’t associate with.” - Damon Runyan

News Comments > Tyranny Next Month
1. Re: Tyranny Next Month Oct 13, 2016, 19:26 Cutter

Deffo waiting on reviews for this.

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend
1. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend Oct 13, 2016, 19:25 Cutter

Speaking of 'midevil' games, is anyone checking out Kingdom Come : Deliverance or Of Kings and Men so far?

News Comments > No Man's Sky Patch Update
36. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 16:22 Cutter

Rigs, Murray out and out lied, learn to deal with it already.

One Man's Lie

That's just one video - absolute proof - containing 32 of his outright lies. And there are plenty more videos like that around. It's amazing his legs haven't suffered 3rd degree burns on his legs from his pants being so on fire.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 12:07 Cutter

Heard a fantastic conversation yesterday on the CBC program, Spark. Professor of Cognitive Science at UCAL Irvine, Don Hoffman, discusses how our perception of reality is pretty deeply flawed. I recall reading articles about this in SciAm several years ago and it looks like the science is finally starting to bear this out.

Is Reality Just Perception?

They also discuss the role of AI in things to come and that got me thinking of that TNG episode where they have to determine if Data is sentient and property of Star Fleet or not. Well wouldn't that apply to AI? I mean, if man can create a truly sentient, intelligent being why would we think we ever have the right to control it? That would be enslavement. Yet, could we afford to allow such an unknown variable to run around completely unchecked?

31. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 13, 2016, 11:54 Cutter

ForgedReality wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 10:19:
Exactly. I knew this would be a ridiculous waste of time too. Sure, you can iterate over a list of assets and put things together to make them look slightly different, but without a huge swath of items to choose from, you're extremely limited in what you can do.

Until we come up with some kind of artificial intelligence routines that create assets for us, based on a set of criteria and telling the computer what kinds of traits a lifeform has and what kinds of traits a structure has, a planet, a vehicle, etc., then allowing the computer to calculate all these things and randomly iterate assets from the ground up, there is no way everything will be 100% random. Minecraft managed to create something compelling because it didn't focus on lots of different kinds of creatures in the world. It was the world that was calculated, and that's a whole lot more easy to do since you don't really need a team of artists in charge of creating things for that.

Yeah, and how do you design a narrative around that? Machine builds all assets, designers than have to explore it and design a narrative around what exists? How? When you've got dozens to billions of possible planets to account for? This is the problem inherent with all space games. If you want size you're not going to get scope. Otherwise you end up with one of two things, Mass Effect where it's the illusion of freedom in which is actually a very small, controlled environment, or NMS/ED where you have billions and billions of stars and they're - ostensibly - all the same for all intents and purposes, and there's nothing to do but grind.

The best bet is always to put forth the tools to allow the players to create content a la NWN. Yes, there will be a lot of crap but the cream inevitably rises to the top. I don't have faith that an AI will ever be able to be that creative.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2016, 11:38 Cutter

Weird Al knows all about that. After all, he lost on Jeopardy!

News Comments > New Vive Controller and PS4 Controller Coming to Steam
1. Re: New Vive Controller and PS4 Controller Coming to Steam Oct 13, 2016, 11:28 Cutter

A radial menu with 20 different actions. Yeah thanks I'll stick to my trusty KB/M.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Oct 12, 2016, 20:37 Cutter

Holy shit some of those comments on the Eve article are fucking hilarious!

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2016, 20:34 Cutter

Officials say Buchta was the man behind the "fbiarelosers," "pein," "xotehpoodle," and "lizard" Twitter accounts, while Van Rooy operated the "Uchiha," "UchihaLS," "dragon,” and "fox" personas.

Wow! That guy is so boned it's not funny. Just F'd right in the A!

1. Re: No Man's Sky Patch Update Oct 12, 2016, 20:30 Cutter

'Sean has scarpered off to the Caribbean and left us holding the bag as he is currently awash in blow and hookers.'

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2016, 20:13 Cutter

My family is Irish as well as a lot of my friends. My point was that the IRA would never have existed if not for England and the Unionists and how they treated Irish Catholics to begin with - and were not even talking real history with William of Orange, Walter Raleigh, et al. And I don't know how anyone can claim the IRA was worse given the atrocities committed by the UDF and British military. Fucking internment, Long Kesh, etc. Even Paul McCartney wrote a song about it.

Give Ireland Back to the Irish

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 12, 2016, 20:03 Cutter

$5 a month is a lot for one channel. 5 channels and you may as well pay for a skinny bundle. I'd say a buck at the outside.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 12, 2016, 11:49 Cutter

Glow in the dark paths in multiple colours? Jesus, Warsaw is going look like a bad rave at night. That would be really irritating having to look at that constantly. We actually need the dark.

Your taste for salt is not hard-wired from birth. The excessive amount we eat today is a result of what Matthias Berninger, vice president of public affairs for Mars, calls an “arms race” between food producers and restaurant chains. One turns up the salt; customers get used to that; the next producer does the same thing. Over time, the whole population’s palate changes. Today Americans consume two to three times the sodium we need, and one in three Americans suffers from high blood pressure, which can lead to heart disease — which can lead to the grave.

Which is why I quit using salt 20 years ago on anything but fresh food and even that's minimal. One thing I've always noticed is that anyone else who's done this easily picks up just how much salt there is in processed/frozen/restaurant food. Tasting anything really salty actually gives me a coughing fit. I anxiously await the day that the government regulates the shit out of sodium because it's way past due.

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Oct 12, 2016, 11:36 Cutter

“We went through 40 years of violence in which many lives were lost and people maimed. I knew there would eventually be some who would seek to exploit that to make money,” he said.

Yeah, and who's fault was that?

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2016, 11:33 Cutter

'Oh sure we'll comply with FOIA...at some undetermined point far, far into the future....'

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 12, 2016, 11:30 Cutter

VR hasn't taken over gaming and won't - for a long time to come at any rate. However, it certainly does have much more appeal for practical solutions that could benefit from VR/AR systems much more than gaming. I could see where it could easily become standard in fields like engineering and medicine.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 12, 2016, 11:28 Cutter

""We are going to equip 1 million kids with the tools they need to reach their full potential and achieve their dreams," Claure told reporters on a White House call."

No, you won't.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 12, 2016, 11:26 Cutter

QFT...

"Then demand it the next time your contract with Viacom or Disney comes up.

Don't accept a new contract that forces bundling of channels. If Disney or Viacom balk, let the contract expire and drop the channels.

Explain it to your customers. Most will understand, especially if you tell them the purpose is to break up the bundles so that subscribers can pick what they want.

If the broadcaster want to also offer bundles that are less expensive than the sum of the individual channels, that's their choice.

Then, update your backend systems so that channel subscriptions can be done online."

25088 Comments. 1255 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo