Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 26633 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
7. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2017, 16:37 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 15:32:
Icewind wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 12:12:
Well of course we could've had cellphones earlier. Like most technology, Japan had it 15-20 years before we did. They had "smartphones" before Jobs even "invented" the iPhone, it's where he got the idea from.

Same with HDTV, progressive scan TV, and 1080p. I remember seeing a 20/20 report back in the late 80s talking about HDtv in Japan and I wondered if we'd ever get it.

I lived in Japan in the 90s. What gave them the ability to have ubiquitous cell phone tech earlier than the USA was their incredible urban density. Their cellphone tech was incredibly short range, which made it cheaper. The short range didn't matter due to the packed way in which everyone lives there, making it cost-effective and quick to build critical profitable mass.

Also, I remember being in the electronics stores in '97 and seeing crystal clear HD TVs for sale. Sure, they were $10K and there was no content for them, but they were there.

So is it true that life could be cruel, life in Tokyo?

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced
13. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 16:36 Cutter

ShakaUVM wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 14:35:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 09:50:
Anyone tried Tyranny? I must not have even noticed it when it was released. Looks kinda interesting.

Ignore the haters, it's actually really good if you like Baldur's Gate style games. (If you don't like reading walls of text and agonizing over what your character will say, then you probably won't like it.)

No, don't ignore the haters unless you're some dull witted clod who's easily entertained by bad writing and game design. If you are, knock yourself out. Haters hate for valid reasons. Particularly in the context of criticism of arts and entertainment. We demand better for our hard earned dollars. It's not hate for hate sake, it's well deserved contempt.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans
7. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 14, 2017, 14:01 Cutter

He cares because the game was supposed to be offline with an online component. And those "cosmetic" items are things people in the community should be able to create and distribute for free. You guys are probably too young to realize that used to be a common in thing in games. No one has a problem with them trying to make money selling proper DLC or expansions, but the nickel and diming really gets on a lot of peoples tits.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 14, 2017, 13:57 Cutter

Why not just have drones large enough to medevac the doctors in or patients out entirely. It's would be way more efficient and a hell of a lot cheaper than a medevac chopper.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Free Expansion in August
5. Re: Conan Exiles Free Expansion in August Jun 14, 2017, 13:55 Cutter

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 12:08:
as I would like it to be more than a dick growth simulator.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Biker

And yeah, I'll believe ARK is out of EA when I see it. I think it's beyond the point of being able to make it run decently at this point and they'll just abandon it and move on to something else. The sort of game that will run well with new hardware 5 years from now.

9. Re: Evil, not too short... Jun 14, 2017, 13:51 Cutter

Jagacademy wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 12:41:
Can you actually be "evil" in this game? Or is it just a marketing gimmick?

I remember playing a game a couple years ago, advertised as "being able to play the bad guy", but it was full of cop-outs. (For example: Try to attack civilian, character says "You could kill him...but you might need their help later.)

In Ultima games you can do evil things, like steal/kill people, but you are ultimately a hero.

Ironically the only game I've played where you actually feel "evil" is playing a Sith in the Star Wars: The Old Republic.

P.S. The average playtime is 30 hours, that doesn't feel "too short" to me. Mass Effect was 29, Fallout was 23, etc. I end up not finishing games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, because I get burned out long before that point. To me, "too short" would be 4-10 hours, which happens a lot nowadays.

Yeah, but like the vast majority of ALL fiction/games most writers and designers do piss poor at representing evil, it's the same here. Your "choices" really just boil down to being some psycho chaotic evil ashhole, lawful evil oppressor, or selfish prick straddling the fence of evil. It's all tightly scripted so no, it's not like you can walk in and destroy some village for a laugh and then everyone everywhere you go mutters under their breath about what a right evil bastard you are. It was a really bad premise to go with. It would have been much better to just let you start out as a cog in a grand evil machine and let you determine how you work your way to the top.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Free Expansion in August
1. Re: Conan Exiles Free Expansion in August Jun 14, 2017, 11:02 Cutter

How is this coming along? I still see a lot of recent mixed reviews.

2. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 11:01 Cutter

It's not good. The "freedom" of you choices for being the bad guy amount to either representing one side of the other or your self - CE/NE/LE. The writing quality falls into hackneyed fanfic IMO. It wasn't terrible, but very definitely meh bordering on bad.

7. removed Jun 13, 2017, 20:36 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 14, 2017, 00:13.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Trailer
11. Re: Far Cry 5 Trailer Jun 13, 2017, 16:45 Cutter

Won't even spring for John Lee Hooker's Boom Boom? That does not bode well.

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Jun 13, 2017, 16:32 Cutter

Yeah, just want consumers want to buy cars that are needlessly overpriced because it has an Apple logo on it. They'll be the same as every other car just cost $10-$20k more for no reason.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Trailer
1. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Trailer Jun 13, 2017, 01:40 Cutter

Hahaha!

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced
11. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 18:07 Cutter

mellis wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 15:01:
Still looks like it devolves into the same crappy 1-on-1 combat model. At the end of that gameplay video, the protagonist has his back to the target he wishes to assassinate for a good few seconds while facing off against the 'heavy' bodyguard, and yet the target just stands there, only running away when the 'heavy' is defeated.

More of the same banal junk. Except this time with an Egyptian theme.

Oh, I don't disagree, man. For me the series has always been about the historical aspects of getting to check out the old world. I've always wanted to see a decent graphical representation of ancient Egypt and this is probably the closest wer're going to come to that. I'll buy that for a dollar!

News Comments > Metro Exodus Announced
15. Re: Metro Exodus Announced Jun 12, 2017, 13:51 Cutter

ItBurn wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 13:16:
Cutter wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 11:21:
Post-apoc Witcher 3?!?! Hells and yeah!

This has absolutely nothing remotely similar to Witcher 3...

Yes, it does.

7. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 13:48 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 12:29:
The combat is definitely different, they're going a more RPG route with floating damage numbers, random loot drops, and enemies of varying level that may be too strong to confront when you first encounter them. Historical accuracy in technology is not going to be a limiting factor, either, since you're playing a magi who can apparently do mystical shit like guide an arrow in flight, Yondu-style.

Here's the real gameplay they showed yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0fd4q0baQ

Good find, thanks for that. Visuals and setting are outstanding. I'm totes amped for it. Gameplay om the other hand still looks like a typical AC games, now with a bit of FC Primal thrown in. Still, it'll be worth the price of admission just to run around ancient Egypt.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2017, 11:47 Cutter

No, the way that guy slammed into the edge of the pool he's lucky he didn't break an ankle or leg. Not very bosslike at all.

And while that Jetboarder was pretty sweet it's not a rescue. Point in fact, anyone who learns to sail - properly at any rate - has to go out in various craft like lazers, albacores, fireballs, cats, etc and capsize them intentionally in order to learn how to right them properly. I learned to do it when I was 12 years old. And the reason you do this is because when you're sailing in big wind and heavy chop you're going to capsize at some point. It's really not a big deal. And sailing in that weather is really goddamned fun. Check it....

Fireball Sailing with Ben and Mark

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Trailer
4. Re: Anthem Gameplay Trailer Jun 12, 2017, 11:33 Cutter

Ahhk, so it's Bioware's Destiny/Borderlands, got it.

2. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Officially Announced Jun 12, 2017, 11:24 Cutter

Ok, I'm down.

King Tut, buried with a donkey. Funky Tut. He's my favorite honky! Born in Arizona. Moved to Babylonia. King Tut!

News Comments > Metro Exodus Announced
3. Re: Metro Exodus Announced Jun 12, 2017, 11:21 Cutter

Post-apoc Witcher 3?!?! Hells and yeah!

News Comments > Anthem Revealed
21. Re: Anthem Revealed Jun 12, 2017, 09:42 Cutter

Slick wrote on Jun 12, 2017, 02:26:
Jesus CHRIST. You guys saw the full gameplay trailer @ the Microsoft event right?

WHAT THE FUCK happened to you people? Are you all just soulless husks fumbling around in the darkness of your own despair?

I think it's time to take a break from this forum for a while, it's just negative post after negative post. No one likes anything, everything is shit, BOOO.

I mean, if your first reaction after watching that trailer is represented in the first 10 posts of this thread... jesus... there is no hope for you.

This board goes through cycles of being a reasonable place to engage with other gamers and being an utter cesspool devoid of any humanity. I think we're firmly in a "cellpool" cycle now...

I'm really tired of that bullshit. Most people - including me - generally have positive things to say about new titles, etc. It's only when we see these tired old retreads gussied up in some new PR speak we get negative. "Search for Extraordinary Experiences Division" that is fucking PR bullshit right there and it deserves to be called out as such. Negro, please.

26633 Comments. 1332 pages. Viewing page 21.
< Newer [ 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo