Total Posts
33347 (Jedi)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

33347 Comments. 1668 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    1668  ] Older

Re: Evening Metaverse
Sep 29, 2020, 19:27
Cutter

Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 29, 2020, 19:27
Sep 29, 2020, 19:27
 Cutter

Julian Delphiki wrote on Sep 28, 2020, 21:03:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 28, 2020, 20:40:
Proud to be in the 74%.
To be fair, I bet even more only get it from late night TV comedy shows, so you're more like the 15%. Additionally, depending on the specific source you're talking about, some youtube content provides an even more detailed analysis of stories that only get 10-15 seconds of air time on the national networks or a small blurb in the news articles. It's up to the viewer to analyze bias and sources, but it's not like you don't have to do that already for just about any other place you read or see a news story these days.

Television/video news is the equivalent of fast food. You want details - fine dining - you read print media. The NYT's lengthy expose of Trump's tax records the other day is a perfect example of that. TV news is for people who want soundbites, not real coverage. I suspect that number is far too low if anything.

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

Re: RTX 3090 Launches Thursday
Sep 29, 2020, 19:21
Cutter

Re: RTX 3090 Launches Thursday Sep 29, 2020, 19:21
Sep 29, 2020, 19:21
 Cutter

wtf_man wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 13:04:
El Pit wrote on Sep 29, 2020, 12:48:
It's a bit more complicated than this... Not all capacitors are of the same quality. This is why currently some 3080s are stable while others are not. But the change of the boost (-50 MHz in the latest drivers) seems to fix the problem for most people. And this seems to prove that the 3080 does not need to be overclocked - it already is (was?) out of the box.

I was just poking some fun at nVidia.

Why poke fun at Nvidia when they're smart enough to get suckers to vastly overpay for a video card? There are the people who deserve to be mocked.

Re: Out of the Blue
Sep 29, 2020, 13:50
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2020, 13:50
Sep 29, 2020, 13:50
 Cutter

Meant to take a buncha snaps but was having too much fun and forgot. Got a few of a new hazelnut field he planted last year.

Field 1
Field 2
Field 3

And virtually all the trees you see in the background are fruit or nut trees of one kind or another, some of those are Korean pine which produce pine nuts used in pesto, and a buncha Pecan trees. He said the pine nut cones are a bitch and half to open, so much so that none of the critters even bother with them.

And some of the mixed nuts he gave me.
Mixed Nuts

Reminds me of Cowboy Dick ice cream . Nuts so big you can hardly wrap your lips around them!

Biker

Sep 29, 2020, 13:06
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2020, 13:06
Sep 29, 2020, 13:06
 Cutter

Had a great day yesterday. Took a trip down to a meet Martin - and his wife Pat - the nut farmers. They have a 100 acre fruit and nut farm. Bloody brilliant. He's got 200 varieties of fruits and nuts, doesn't even know what most of them are as he planted them over several decades. I had kiwi-grape for the first time yesterday - never heard of them before, they're amazing! He's got mostly hazelnuts but his whole property is surround by 1000 black walnut trees as his windbreak. He has chestnuts, acorns, hickory nuts, pecans, heartnuts etc. He gave a me a big bag of mixed nuts to take home and try - so a lot of these were first time for me heartnut, hickory nut, and a bunch of different hazelnuts which hybrids he's created himself. The heartnuts are really good, they a mild Japanese walnut. Haven't tried hickory nuts yet. He's got paw paws, blueberries, and tons of other fruits. He says he doesn't get to eat any of the blueberries as the deer and other critters strip them clean asap but he likes them and doesn't much care. All in all quite the little wildlife paradise. Not without its perils however, hawks, foxes, coyotes, snakes, etc. Still,for that abundance of food it's better than were a lot of critters have to forage.

And across the road is a watermelon farm and he says it's funny as hell because some nights you can see raccoons stealing them. They're smart enough to actually roll them into the woods where they can eat them in private and not leave any incriminating evidence behind.

And yeah, it's a low maintenance lifestyle. He got into in 1994 after looking around at what requires the least work and provides the best ROI for farming. He also had a ton of good general advice of things like grow in sand or loam, not clay. Not because they don't do well in clay just that trying to harvest in the mud is a fucking nightmare which happens with clay soil farms in Fall. And how long it takes certain trees to fruit and how that grows year over year. You get about 1/2 lb more per year, year over year until full maturation at 20 years. And each tree with produce food for 50-100 years on average. So, it's a slow start but you make more money as you go along each year - barring natural disasters obviously.

He was pretty old school doesn't really know about or care about things biodynamics, permaculture, organics, etc. He uses Roundup around the base of his trees in the Spring to keep weeds back - simply because he's lazy. And that sort of thing makes me cringe. I said as much, 'Martin, you have to stop using that shit. It's destroying the world.' He just shrugged. Typical baby boomer. Profits first, everything else, whatever. Still a decent enough sort in his own way. He was a quite a hoarder so he had tons of shit all over his proprerty. Buys gobs of crap at auctions and tries to resell it, just ends up with crap everywhere. Definitely not how I'll be living on my farm.

He also suggested just planting slow over the years if I don't want to go too fast and lease out the rest of the land to another farmer or enter a sharecrop agreement. 25 acres of his land is planted with corn and soybeans from the farmer next door and he makes a couple of grand on that a year and it's exempt from capital gains. He sez there's plenty of advantages to renting or leasing farmland. And a quick look shows that almost 40% of all farmland in Canada is in fact either rented/leased or in a sharecropping agreement. I met another guy several years ago who said the same thing. He bought 100 acres of land leased 75 of them to the farmer next door and was making a nice bit of bank and having to do anything for it. I'll have to look into this some more.

It was a great day, fun - we were whizzing around on golf carts for the grand tour of his farm, drank a bottle of wine that I brought with him and the wife. They have a great golden lab named Shelby who was just all over me for attention and skritches and stuff. Good time had by all. The drive home was pure Hell however. Huge storm started! From Tillsonburg - my back still aches when I hear that word - to Burlington on the 401 I had my wipers on high and could still barely see the road. I'm doing 85/90 in the slow lane - min speed is supposed to be 100K, fucking semis roaring by me throwing up a wall of water and I'm just hoping I'm not to plow into anything. When I got to and on the 407 it was smooth sailing from there - totally worth the toll!

Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit
Sep 29, 2020, 11:50
Cutter

Re: Minecraft Patent Lawsuit Sep 29, 2020, 11:50
Sep 29, 2020, 11:50
 Cutter

They applied for patent in 1995. I guess someone forgot to tell the USPTO that there were several games doing this several years before this like AOL's Neverwinter Nights. The fact that Bungie's lawyers seemed to overlooked this means they really dropped the ball. These scum are the parasites that should be dying from C19.

Sep 29, 2020, 00:13
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2020, 00:13
Sep 29, 2020, 00:13
 Cutter

He said he hoped to show his pupils that they should accept people who are different from the norm. "Maybe when they are adults they will be less racist and less homophobic and more open-minded," he said.

Jesus, he's too stupid to understand the difference between bigotry and racism and he's a teacher? Well, he calls himself one at any rate. Hey man, life's about choices, bud. The ones you made aren't conducive to teaching children. You could teach people not to get covered head to toe in ink if you want to find a professional type job in society.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Sep 29, 2020, 00:09
Cutter

Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 29, 2020, 00:09
Sep 29, 2020, 00:09
 Cutter

"Study your math, kids. Key to the Universe." - Gabriel, The Prophecy.

Re: Evening Previews
Sep 28, 2020, 23:59
Cutter

Re: Evening Previews Sep 28, 2020, 23:59
Sep 28, 2020, 23:59
 Cutter

Feeniks Ryzing?

Re: On Sale
Sep 28, 2020, 23:42
Cutter

Re: On Sale Sep 28, 2020, 23:42
Sep 28, 2020, 23:42
 Cutter

As opposed to the horrible new meat in the prison shower way?

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court
Sep 28, 2020, 23:31
Cutter

Re: Apple vs. Epic in Court Sep 28, 2020, 23:31
Sep 28, 2020, 23:31
 Cutter

If Apple was an actual monopoly why wouldn't Epic, MS, Google, et al. be pressing the DOJ to open up an anti-trust investigation against them? Oh right, they don't want to give the DOJ any ideas and see anti-trust investigations expand to 'unintended targets'.

Re: etc.
Sep 27, 2020, 19:10
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 19:10
Sep 27, 2020, 19:10
 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 18:36:
Cutter wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 12:24:
Reminds me of that great line in Thunderheart....

"We choose the right to be who we are. We know the difference between the reality of freedom and the illusion of freedom. There is a way to live with the earth and a way not to live with the earth. We choose the way of earth."
Always thought that movie got too much grief and not enough credit. I usually watch it when I see it in the guide...

It's a great flick just got too much static from the left because of Kilmer playing a half-native. Sam Shepherd and Graham Greene were great in that too.

"I know more about the law and the history out here than the people themselves. Let me tell you, I feel for them. They're a proud people. But they're also a conquered people. That means their future is dictated by the nation that conquered them. Rightly or wrongly, that's the way it works, down through history."

Walter Crow Horse : License and registration?
Ray Levoi : Kiss my ass.
Walter Crow Horse : Hey, this is *my* jurisdiction now. And you were going 59 in a 55 zone.
Ray Levoi : Let me see the radar.
Walter Crow Horse : I don't need no radar, I can tell! I just listen to the wind; it said, "Fifty-nine, nail 'im!"

Sep 27, 2020, 12:40
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 27, 2020, 12:40
Sep 27, 2020, 12:40
 Cutter

Beautiful building. Love that staircase!

Dunno why but I think I'd be more terrified of getting attacked by a gator/croc than a shark.

Yeah well it's been 8 months and I haven't seen an N95 anywhere - except online at exorbitant prices. Yet, they were selling them in three packs in the dollar store last year for $1.50. I'm sure most people would prefer to wear them if they could actually find them, and at a cheap price.

Gonna watch me some footsballs today!

Sep 27, 2020, 12:24
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 12:24
Sep 27, 2020, 12:24
 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 21:32:
It is even easier than that. We kill vermin without a concern. Rats, mice, and other disease carrying animals and insects are killed by the millions. It is necessary to do this to safe guard our own existence. Yet, there are people who have rats as pets. There is no simple black and white here, species and context matters.

Yet if people weren't so fucking greedy and set aside areas and a bit of food and shelter for critters they wouldn't have problems elsewhere. We're all just trying to survive. Even the way cities are designed now we have parks and neighborhoods full of trees that produce nothing but oxygen when we should be plating food and nut trees and shrubs everywhere for people and wildlife. It's an easy fix yet one most places won't do because they have no real consideration for any thing other than themselves.

I'm not insensitive to the fact that vermin can cause problems but it doesn't mean they always do. And my real objection is to how they're dispatched. Poison is cruel and glue traps are monstrous. Those things should be outlawed. And anyone who uses them should die by them - live by the sword die by the sword. Yet the fact is most people don't see how those things work and worse still, they don't want to. As if it somehow absolves them of being monsters.

Reminds me of that great line in Thunderheart....

"We choose the right to be who we are. We know the difference between the reality of freedom and the illusion of freedom. There is a way to live with the earth and a way not to live with the earth. We choose the way of earth."

Sep 27, 2020, 12:16
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 12:16
Sep 27, 2020, 12:16
 Cutter

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 00:53:
Hunters at this point are only 'needed' due to humans massacring most of the predator animals, especially in the US. Yellowstone, I want to say, had tremendous success reintroducing wolves to the ecosystem, but that will never happen further east.

Was just going to say the same thing. And when nature gets to far out of whack it self corrects. And that doesn't even account for forest fires, droughts, etc. that cull overpopulation. How many animals do you think have died in California and Oregon this year. I wouldn't even want to imagine. And don't even get me started on trophy hunters. Those motherfuckers actually need to die slowly in a fire.

Yes, we evolved as omnivorous hunter-gatherers but we did way more gathering than we ever did hunting. Hunting is inherently dangerous and more often than not you come away with nothing. It's not a good ROI for the energy expended. And historically most of our ancestors ate very little meat. It was hard to come by, a lot of work to prepare, it didn't store well unless it was packed in salt and salt was its own major pain in the ass to come by. Too many people don't realize our actual history and believe it was like some Hollywood medieval feast with tables laden down with all kinds of meat and other foods. For the royalty sure. The rest of us, not so much.

Sep 27, 2020, 12:07
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 27, 2020, 12:07
Sep 27, 2020, 12:07
 Cutter

ForgedReality wrote on Sep 27, 2020, 03:46:
Cutter wrote on Sep 26, 2020, 20:17:
I'm trying to go vegetarian but it's difficult after a lifetime of the convenience of meat. It does make me feel guilty these days. Personally I think vegan is too extreme however.
What is so extreme about not wanting to consume animals/animal products?

Using dairy or eggs isn't consuming animals. Besides where do you think our ancestors - those who evolved out of the sunbelt - got all their vitamin A and D in winter?

Sep 26, 2020, 20:17
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 26, 2020, 20:17
Sep 26, 2020, 20:17
 Cutter

I'm trying to go vegetarian but it's difficult after a lifetime of the convenience of meat. It does make me feel guilty these days. Personally I think vegan is too extreme however.

Sep 26, 2020, 17:34
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 17:34
Sep 26, 2020, 17:34
 Cutter

I just want govt's to start having the discussion of where we go from here and what we do in the event a vaccine doesn't arrive. We need to talk about that and plan for it. We can't keep this shit going indefinitely. With the resurgence and talk of going back into stage 2 or even stage 1 scenarios isn't viable long term, financially or psychologically. And if we're lottery winning lucky and do get a vaccine it's still going to be years before everyone is vaccinated even with the world's pharmas going full tilt boogie. And that's not even accounting for mutations and different strains arising that aren't covered.

People are already starting to get edgy about this resurgence - which is mostly about economics and supply chains versus the virus itself. Went into Costco two days ago and they're now sold out of TP, paper towel, lysol wipes, etc. and that was with limiting those items to 1 per customer. Govt's must do more to alleviate that uncertainty because the strain will start causing people to crack en masse and shit will just go from bad to worse. My provincial govt is useless as tits on a bull. They just keep whinging about people not doing more but are doing sweet FA themselves. They've made it harder to get tests now and there's still zero tracking going on. Financial help looks like its going to disappear. What the fuck do they think is going to happen in the absence of real leadership with this sort of crisis? That people won't freak out and say 'Fuck it' and do whatever they want?

And all this bullshit with the US election isn't helping the rest of the world any either. Are we doomed? Is the end really nigh? It reminds me of that scene from The Omega Man....

Omega Man - News Report - How the world ended

Sep 26, 2020, 15:17
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Sep 26, 2020, 15:17
Sep 26, 2020, 15:17
 Cutter

Q: So, what do you do for a living?
A: I clean and repackage used condoms.

Yeah, really not interested in space travel until turlets are as easy to use as on Earth.

Fuck I hate those staged videos. Stop showing them already.

Sep 26, 2020, 15:11
Cutter

Re: etc. Sep 26, 2020, 15:11
Sep 26, 2020, 15:11
 Cutter

Violence against humans in video games has long been contentious—underpinned by the never-ending debate over whether on-screen violence begets the real thing.

No. No there isn't any legitimate debate on the matter. Much like climate change the evidence is all in and irrefutable. Virtual violence does not beget real violence. People have been engaged in violence, wars, etc. long before cartoons, video games, or heavy metal music came along.

I'd never hunt in real life but I hunt in Skyrim. It does not in any way make me want to go out and kill Bambi. Hell, I provide a near animal sanctuary that costs me a lot out of pocket every month to take care of the little buggers including but not limited to birds, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, a possum and a skunk - yeah, little skunk dude has been coming by in the evenings for a couple of weeks now. It makes me happy that they're safe - as can be outside - and fed and have shelter. All the virtual animal killing in the world won't change that. And I'll continue to boycott/raise awareness of companies and people who aren't kind to animals. If I had my way we'd be burning those sorts of motherfuckers at the stake like the witch trials. If you want to really help animals, hold the monsters who mistreat them accountable.

Re: Saturday Interviews
Sep 26, 2020, 14:40
Cutter

Re: Saturday Interviews Sep 26, 2020, 14:40
Sep 26, 2020, 14:40
 Cutter

Sweet ass sweetness!
33347 Comments. 1668 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    1668  ] Older