Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 31929 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 12, 2020, 15:57 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 14:17:
Seattle-area election will use smartphone voting system that worries some experts.

I'm all for increasing voter participation, but electronic voting seems ripe for abuse in ways that in-person voting isn't. Still, this doesn't sound terrible:

Democracy Live’s technology has been used without issue in roughly 1,000 elections since 2010, Finney said. Voters visit an election website, which runs on data centers run by Amazon Web Services that use the same security certifications as federal agencies using the technology. After making their selections, voters save their ballots as a PDF file and digitally sign it. Or they can print it and physically sign it. In the past, voters have had to mail in that ballot, though overseas military could often send it as an email attachment.

What? You mean to don't trust Dr. Evil, woops, I mean Jeff Bezos, implicitly?

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 13:54 Cutter

Clifton was the first to be sentenced, in August, and got 13 years. Pugh, 25, is next.

13 years is a joke. Poor man suffered greatly and will never see any of his money returned. It should be hard labor for life without the possibility of parole for these sorts of crimes. Especially given the fact they're career criminals.

Then I read this article yesterday. It's a very sobering, absolutely infuriating, and extremely depressing expose of how bad things are getting in Trumpmerica.

The Golden Age of White Collar Crime in America

The criminal justice system has given up all pretense that the crimes of the wealthy are worth taking seriously. In January 2019, white-collar prosecutions fell to their lowest level since researchers started tracking them in 1998. Even within the dwindling number of prosecutions, most are cases against low-level con artists and small-fry financial schemes. Since 2015, criminal penalties levied by the Justice Department have fallen from $3.6 billion to roughly $110 million. Illicit profits seized by the Securities and Exchange Commission have reportedly dropped by more than half. In 2018, a year when nearly 19,000 people were sentenced in federal court for drug crimes alone, prosecutors convicted just 37 corporate criminals who worked at firms with more than 50 employees.

"Don't get drawn into the culture, Morty. Stealing stuff is about the stuff, not the stealing."

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 13:42 Cutter

chickenboo wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 12:10:
Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2020, 11:59:
Yeah, skip the rewards. That's just wasted time and effort and it leads to inequity. And particularly as it applies to currency exchange. You have a lot of international readers where their money is weaker. $5US a month is a lot more for them so that's hardly fair. Why not just let people pledge whatever they feel like? A million readers even send you a buck and you're on easy street after that.

If you want to supplement income do some merchandise. Start simple with, say, T-shirts and coffee mugs. Do it on Zazzle or one of those services so it's made to order and your not stuck with inventory. I bet you'd sell a ton of those.

Agreed. Set up a simple merch store on Zazzle or something. As for tiers, that's one suggested way of doing it to make it easier to swallow asking viewers for money. Patreon is fundamentally a racket - a simple donation button via Paypal is just as effective - but if you're going the Patreon route just start the suggested minimum at $3/m or $5/m. It's still optional anyways, you're not locking people out of the website if they don't sign up...

Agreed. Screw Patreon and these other services that take a cut. Just allow people to make direct donations via credit card. Just a direct payment to the BN bank account.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2020, 11:59 Cutter

Yeah, skip the rewards. That's just wasted time and effort and it leads to inequity. And particularly as it applies to currency exchange. You have a lot of international readers where their money is weaker. $5US a month is a lot more for them so that's hardly fair. Why not just let people pledge whatever they feel like? A million readers even send you a buck and you're on easy street after that.

If you want to supplement income do some merchandise. Start simple with, say, T-shirts and coffee mugs. Do it on Zazzle or one of those services so it's made to order and your not stuck with inventory. I bet you'd sell a ton of those.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 12, 2020, 11:51 Cutter

No surprise there. Bezos already has the WAPO attacking the Dems and puffing up his buddies in the GOP.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW

1. Re: Activision Blizzard Games Leave GeForce NOW Feb 11, 2020, 20:04 Cutter

Uh wild guess? Money?

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2020, 13:55 Cutter

I dunno Blue. You might wanna' consult with Robert Langdon on that one.
Wry

Sad news about Huey there. I feel his pain.

7. removed Feb 11, 2020, 13:54 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 11, 2020, 13:59.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs

1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 11, 2020, 13:52 Cutter

It's nuts that a single judge can approve - or disapprove - something like that.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 11, 2020, 13:27 Cutter

mxmissile wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 12:36:
That app is scary as hell, I cannot believe the human race is accepting that. That is an invasion of privacy on a level we have never seen. Snowflakes will justify it, because they are OK with the gov intruding on our lives, and are ok with thought police. The rest of the human race should lose their minds.

On the other hand, flagging yourself as exposed could get you a lot of room on a plane or bus.

Or stoned to death by an angry and frightened mob. Doesn't take a whole lot for people to break out the torches and pitchforks.

News Comments > On Sale

4. Re: On Sale Feb 11, 2020, 13:25 Cutter

GinRummy wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 12:28:
Bill Borre wrote on Feb 11, 2020, 11:15:
Just an fyi if you can wait two days you can score this free on EGS.

Yeah, pretty bad timing for GoG for sales on this.

Not if you're not aware it's coming up for free on EGS. I'm sure they'll squeak out a few sales.

I like the game except for the autolockon for combat. Omg that fucking shit made me ragequit hard. Trying to run away from people and everytime you get hit you turn around and lock on. Such a shitty design.

News Comments > 2K Announces Developer 31st Union

2. Re: 2K Announces Developer 31st Union Feb 11, 2020, 13:05 Cutter

"culture that champions inclusivity and greater representation,"

Rolleyes

Get woke, go broke.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Feb 10, 2020, 19:55 Cutter

What is the IoT of things? A huge clusterfuck?

“Blockchain is a new class of enterprise application,” Cuomo told CoinDesk. “It plays into trends like app modernization and new cloud-native applications, data and analytics. It crosses all those things.” As such, the blockchain part of a blockchain application only accounts for about 20 percent of the overall solution, said Cuomo. That leaves 80 percent in other tech for bringing the network to life."

Notice the conspicuous absence of the word "security" there.

News Comments > Boss Key's Proposed Aliens Shooter Details

1. Re: Boss Key's Proposed Aliens Shooter Details Feb 10, 2020, 19:51 Cutter

No, what he's fishing for is someone else's money to risk on a project that will most likely fail.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 17:41 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:38:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:35:
Thus the old saying "You don't want to know how the sausage is made."

Yep -- very very true. I like sausage.

And I like women who like the 'old sausige'.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 17:39 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:36:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:33:
I think I bruised a diaphragm while watching that video I was laughing so hard.

The Murray clip? If so, it didn't even get a chuckle out of me -- and I do like Bill Murray. *shrug*

Everyone likes Bill Murray. It must be weird where everywhere you go everyone knows and loves you.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2020, 17:38 Cutter

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 11:33:
As someone living in rural Texas, javalina, or feral pigs, are a massive nuisance. My Garand in .30-06 drops them nicely, though, without much fuss. Still, clean up is always a giant pain in the ass. Would not recommend.

Do you eat them? Are they good eating? Aren't they just wild boar? Aren't there any natural predators for them? If not, shouldn't they introduce some? In northern climes that's the same problem with deer because they got rid of the wolves. Now with the wolves coming back the deer populations will be getting back into line.

News Comments > Anthem Redesign Plans

17. Re: Anthem Redesign Plans Feb 10, 2020, 17:32 Cutter

Prez wrote on Feb 10, 2020, 14:12:
In the coming months? The game is a barren wasteland now.

Prez, don't cry, don't raise your eye, it's only teenage wasteland....

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 9, 2020, 17:26 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 9, 2020, 15:58:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - pretty good
Marriage Story - don't care
1917 - will watch it
Ad Astra - pretty bad
The Irishman - pretty sad

Might eventually watch:
Joker - will watch
Rocketman - no
Frozen II - Hell no
Ford v. Ferrari - Great flick!
Maleficent - nope
Edge of Democracy - ?
Parasite - no

Fuck the Oscars and the uber liberal SJW bullshit.

RIP RC. Never heard of that Wild Wild West TV show guess it must have been America only. I was a fan of Baa Baa Black Sheep as a kid however.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 8, 2020, 21:01 Cutter

65C in Antarctica? That is really fucking alarming! Wry

P.S. America, join the rest of the planet and get the fuck on with metric already.

31929 Comments. 1597 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >