Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 26279 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Linux Total War: SHOGUN 2 and Fall of the Samurai This Week
2. Re: Linux Total War: SHOGUN 2 and Fall of the Samurai This Week May 15, 2017, 12:04 Cutter

intermarer wrote on May 15, 2017, 10:14:
After Microsoft started implementing serious spyware I took the time to read and set up dual boot. Very happy to see more linux supported games as that is all I use Spydows for these days.

I've considered that as well. I think I'm going to get a new laptop this year at some point and use it strictly for work using Linux and leave my PC strictly just for games on Spydows.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
9. Re: Sunday Safety Dance May 14, 2017, 17:01 Cutter

Yeah, it's easy to say, 'Oh just upgrade already.' Anyone who's ever been involved with large scale corporate IT knows how difficult it is to get anything done. For most companies it's cheaper to deal with legal action and settlements than it is to bring IT up to snuff and hire people who can actually manage it and keep it secure.

I'll never forget when I worked a contract for IBM at the Vancouver airport. The entire airport hadn't been touched in 20 years. It was like was like going to some IT antique museum and this was the mid-90s!

Ever go to your boss and tell him you want a new PC/tablet/cellphone whathave you. The response 99.9% of the time is him laughing in your face and telling you make do with what you have. Fact is a lot of businesses hit by this couldn't afford to do all this anyway. You're talking thousands to millions depending on the scale of the project and size of the business.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale on June 22?
10. Re: Steam Summer Sale on June 22? May 14, 2017, 16:53 Cutter

When's the last time anyone was excited for a Steam sale? Several years at any rate.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2017, 20:44 Cutter

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 13, 2017, 20:32:
Between Cutter singing "swingin' on a star" and Blue mentioning Hudson The Wonder Dog, I'm getting a serious itch to watch the movie Hudson Hawk, as it's been close to a decade since I've seen that wonderful movie =)

Give the man a cigar. I was hoping the two combined would have that effect. It's weird but that's turned into a real cult film. It really does get better with time.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 13, 2017, 14:14 Cutter

Would you like to swing on a star?
Carry moonbeams home in a jar?
And be better off than you are?
Or would you rather be a mule?

News Comments > Surviving Mars Announced
4. Re: Surviving Mars Announced May 12, 2017, 12:43 Cutter

Well what about the 80s song Might As Well Be On Mars by the Pukka Orchestra. Great tune.

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black May 11, 2017, 22:17 Cutter

Uh no it is not. Mel Brooks is still the king. It's good to be the king.

News Comments > Dungeons 2 for Free
1. Re: Dungeons 2 for Free May 11, 2017, 21:23 Cutter

Dungeon Keeper never really did it for me - though I did like Evil Genius. This doesn't really look like my bag, baby, but the price is right so why not.

2. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2017, 15:03 Cutter

And so the GOP police state begins. Piss off one of the GOP elite and expect the jackbooted thugs to come drag you off never to be seen again.

News Comments > Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI
13. Re: Star Trek: Bridge Crew Gets Watson AI May 11, 2017, 14:54 Cutter

As long as it understands, 'Seven of Nine let's see those funbags, then give me a hummer!', as that will no doubt be what it's most ordered to do.

News Comments > NY Times on Star Citizen
18. Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 11, 2017, 10:00 Cutter

loomy wrote on May 10, 2017, 22:55:
for there to be an actual controversy they need to release the game and have it be bad. these people complaining about a game that's in development being incomplete are tautological morons

Uh no they don't. The controversy is already there. He said he was going to do one thing and he's doing another. Point in fact, he keeps constantly moving the goalposts in order to string people along and raise more money when all he was supposed to do was release a new Wing Commander style game...several years ago at that. And after all this time and money he has very little to show for it. That's akin to a Ponzi scheme. Promise people the moon, keep stringing them along, keep asking for money. If that isn't controversial I don't know what the
fuck is. Stop rationalizing your fanboyism.

News Comments > NY Times on Star Citizen
8. Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 10, 2017, 22:51 Cutter

Darks wrote on May 10, 2017, 21:10:
LOL, I hope Roberts starts to really feel the heat from this. The guy is turning into a class A Asshole Con Artist. And he needs to have a lot of bad press brought upon him about this.

What do you mean turning into? He's always been. There are many good reasons EA had to fire his ass in order to get the games made on time and budget. Much in the same way they finally had to assign PR mouthpieces to Molyneux to keep him from shooting his mouth off in public before tiring of it and dumping him. I'll never understand the praise for his ideas. They were nothing new or original in the least. Just rehashed pulp that's been around for decades already.

9. Re: Out of the Blue May 10, 2017, 14:47 Cutter

Choachy wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:35:
This is a rhetorical thinking out loud thought, but why do so many people have problems with contractors? We had an awful experience with a siding and window contractor. And it seems no matter who you talk to, if they've dealt with a contractor, they've had a bad contractor experience. Is it the nature of the business? Or rather, how they do business? Do they try to juggle too much? Is it an intelligence thing?
It seems like if you are honest, diligent, and skilled enough you could make a KILLING as a contractor because the bar is set so low by all the bad ones out there.

As someone who comes from a family of tradesmen I can tell you right now the problem is twofold, A) consumer ignorance B) lack of government oversight. Problem is anyone can all himself a contractor or any manner of tradesmen but how can you verify - easily - that they have their TQ - ticket qualification - or even know what the hell a TQ or Red Seal - Canada - cert even is? How can you verify a contractor is only hiring qualified tradesmen? How can you can verify his refs are legit? Why doesn't the government track and pull tickets of shyters and bad tradesmen? When should you talk to a lawyer - prior to work starting - to set up a contract for major reno?

The list goes on and on. Why is there no ethics certification that has really stringent guidelines so people know they're dealing with an honest broker. The vast majority of people would kill to see something like that. Point is that most governments woefully fail the citizenry in this capacity. The trades are sill the one are left in society where it's the wild west and anything goes. Until said governments do anything about it it will continue to be that way.

The reality is that the onus is on you, the consumer, to do your homework on all those things. If it's small stuff you don't need to sweat it. Anything that'll take more than a day or a grand and you need to start doing your homework. Anything major - kitchen remodel, new edition, etc. you're insane if you don't talk to a lawyer first. Any contractor who won't personally guarantee something is one to be avoided like the plague. The other major problem on that side of things is taxes and permits. No on wants to deal with or pay for either so they opt for under the table and that's mostly where shit goes wrong.

Even for honest, legit guys they may be good at the actual work but not so much with estimating costs and time. Also for a lot of guys it's feast or famine - particularly for anything north in the winter - so they tend to overbook for spring through fall because winter is slow or nothing. So book early and have them block out time so they're not hopping between jobs. That's also what contracts are for. Specify times, dates, fixed costs, variable costs and most importantly - penalties. If they're not on time or budget make them pay for it. That'll ward off everyone who isn't legit and skilled. Just expect to pay more for that.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
19. Re: Morning Consolidation May 10, 2017, 14:30 Cutter

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 10, 2017, 11:16:
Creston wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:20:
Console owners not interested in tech arms race? Whodathunkit?

Maybe because if you're going to be spending 500 bucks every two years for the latest greatest new console, you might as well be buying a PC and upgrading it?

They're not making this for a majority of current xbox or ps owners though. It's for people who have enough expendable income or the impulse to always own the latest and greatest. Those people will always buy these so it's not a bad idea to have released them, business wise. New purchasers of one of these consoles may be enticed to pay slightly more to get better quality as well, if the price isnt too much more than the standard console (and in both cases it isn't). The same thinking is behind things like the xbox elite controller, and other $150+ controllers out there. We didnt see things like that in previous console generations. You can pay extra for a "premium experience" compared to the standard plebs who get regular editions of consoles now.

That's the same sort of flawed thinking that got Sony into deep financial trouble in the first place. If you want to go exclusive high end you need to be selling a product for a lot more than $500 to make any money at all. No, they were very clearly hoping that everyone would ooh and ahh and spend the money. You think they'd have learned it doesn't work this way with electronics and home appliances by now, but no.

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. May 10, 2017, 14:25 Cutter

After a game a like Witcher 3 you see just how far Bioware has fallen with scheisse like Inquis, MEA, etc.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode
6. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 01:50 Cutter

NetHead wrote on May 9, 2017, 23:47:
HorrorScope wrote on May 9, 2017, 22:10:
Definitely interesting, perhaps something to answer the NWN call from many?

Looking at things like this and the longevity of Neverwinter Nights and other mod friendly games. I wouldn't be surprised if just making something of a SDK, a game without any game content (excluding some initial models, textures, sounds etc, maybe a campaign as an example), but supports users making not only content but also being able to be on the fly dungeon master/game master would sell damned well and have a hell of a long lifespan (would it ever actually end?)

You'd think it would be a "no brainer" for something like Wizards of the Coast, if they could ever get off their arses when it came to PC/video games. Though it could be a great success for anyone though WotC already have rulesets, settings, lore etc which they could just throw at it.

Something like that being pulled off as an open source effort would be really fantastic.

I've been saying almost exactly what you've just said for years now. Whoever clues in and does this will make a fucking fortune if they do it right. You just need to build the engine and the tools. As you said, a few short intro modules so people know what's what than cut them loose to build. And all you have to do is continually pump put new expansions every year or two with complete new tilesets, monsters, etc. etc. etc. and that keeps making you money.

WotC has its head so far up its ass it can see daylight. Those clowns have squandered the best IP there is for gaming. They could have made billions on it by now with competent ownership/management. All these missed years where they could have done way more games, MMOs, movies, etc. So many ways to tie in stuff to help other stuff, WotC management is utterly incompetent. Simply boggles the mind.

News Comments > Ancestors: the Humankind Odyssey Trailer
1. Re: Ancestors: the Humankind Odyssey Trailer May 10, 2017, 01:29 Cutter

Hope this is good.

News Comments > TrackMania 2: Lagoon This Month
1. Re: TrackMania 2: Lagoon This Month May 10, 2017, 00:41 Cutter

Impressive trailer. These guys always impress me with that they're doing. The game is a bit twitchy/arcadey for my tastes but I love the visuals.

News Comments > New BioWare IP Delayed
4. Re: New BioWare IP Delayed May 10, 2017, 00:36 Cutter

Yeah, pre-EA everyone would be losing their shit, now? Meh.

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Origins Revealed via Leak?
4. Re: Assassin's Creed Origins Revealed via Leak? May 10, 2017, 00:27 Cutter

Creston wrote on May 9, 2017, 21:37:
? I read about it being set in Egypt and saw screenshots somewhere a few weeks ago. Not sure why Eurogamer thinks it's massive news.

In any case, Egypt could be very cool. Apparently there's very little Assassins vs Templars around either. Maybe they'll finally ditch the BS modern world crap too.

I hope so. I could always have forgone all the BS backstory about Abstergo and yada yada yada. Just running around in cool historical periods is enough for me. I'm glad they're going back and not forward. I'd still like to see on in feudal Japan with samurai and ninjas and stuff. Ancient China, Shaolin, one of the many dynasties that ruled. Ancient Rome? That's just begging to be done.

26279 Comments. 1314 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo