Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Cutter Knox

Real Name Cutter Knox   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Cutter
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description Get off my lawn!
Homepage http://
Signed On Jul 7, 2006, 00:07
Total Comments 26959 (Jedi)
User ID 25394

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 23:34 Cutter

MeanJim wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 19:32:
The Half Elf wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 19:13:
Welcome to last year Cutter.

Doesn't he live in the past?

Well I have to, or I have to live in the Idiocracy of the now with idiots like you. The future's so dull you have to wear a dunce cap.

You've got to be cruel to be kind...in the right measure.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 23:33 Cutter

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 19:13:
Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 16:53:
Holy shit, check out this game coming to GOG. Art and music is based on all those insane old cartoons from the 1930s.

Cuphead

Welcome to last year Cutter.

And how the hell am I supposed to keep on every bit of news on the planet? Don't be snarky.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 16:53 Cutter

Holy shit, check out this game coming to GOG. Art and music is based on all those insane old cartoons from the 1930s.

Cuphead

20. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 11:51 Cutter

Fat and carbs are bullshit boogeymen, and always have been. The problem was an asshole named Ancel Keys who started all this nonsense because he was in the pocket of the (food) oil companies who wanted to sell more vegetable oil. The real villain has always been refined sugar, and to a lesser degree, salt. Those two things alone are responsible for the overwhelming majority of our dietary health woes. On TVO (Ontario's PBS) there was a documentary on 2 weeks ago that illustrated how this all came about, Cholesterol: The Great Bluff. Make sure to give it a watch as the deception that unfolded is absolutely breathtaking in its scope.

And this is an amazing article about John Yudkin, whom they talk about in the afoementioned documentary as well. The sugar lobby is ostensibly the most powerful lobby in the world and they easily spend the most - and have since the 50s - on political lobbying around the globe.

The Sugar Conspiracy

“If only a small fraction of what we know about the effects of sugar were to be revealed in relation to any other material used as a food additive,” wrote Yudkin, “that material would promptly be banned.” The book did well, but Yudkin paid a high price for it. Prominent nutritionists combined with the food industry to destroy his reputation, and his career never recovered. He died, in 1995, a disappointed, largely forgotten man."

Any diet that advocates extremes - eat this or that type food and exclude everything else - is wrong, plain and simple. Sure you'll lose weight, but at the expense of your overall health. We're omnivores for a reason. We evolved to eat meat, dairy, veg, fruit, and starches for lots of good reasons. Most food actually works better when working in conjunction with each other. That's simply how nature rounded things out otherwise everything we need would have evolved in a single piece of food that we only ever need. You're far better off fasting - restriced caloric intake - on something like The Fast Diet - See the BBC Dr. Michael Mosley's documentary here, Eat, Fast, and Live Longer.

Lastly how we eat and how much are just as crucial. Things like smoothies and juice and supplements are all bullshit. They turn intrinsic sugar into extrinsic sugar and you only net about 1% of the total nutritional properties of them as opposed to just eating fruit and veg whole. That's because it takes time for your stomach to break down the fiber, and while that's happening it's extracting all the good stuff. Smoothies, etc. on the other hand just shoot through your stomach into the intestines where the acid just quickly kills everything off so it doesn't have time to convent and enter the blood stream.

Everything in this life, be it diet, or politics, or religion, etc. can be put down to the Goldilocks philosophy...extremes are bad. We don't want things, too hot, too cold, but just right. Or as Michael Pollan put it as it applies to food, "Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly vegetables."

I've just been getting into whole bowl meals myself as they're easy and great all rounders. This is the sort of stuff people should be eating.

Whole Bowls: Complete Gluten-Free and Vegetarian Meals to Power Your Day (I don't care about gluten, as that whole issue is jive as well unless you're a celiac)

Bowls!: Recipes and Inspirations for Healthful One-Dish Meals (Shit, just look at the cover and tell me that doesn't look nummers!)

10. Re: Signals Sep 2, 2017, 18:49 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 17:07:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 14:02:
The entire article is about how all scientists agree that it's not aliens and that invoking aliens is lazy journalism.

So.. yeah. I guess I agree with that

Well, yeah, but that's not the goal. It's clickbait.

Yes, but if said scientists want continued funding they need to learn to play the game. Never forget the wisdom of The Right Stuff, "No bucks. No Buck Rogers."

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2017, 12:15 Cutter

Yeah, had to dig out my comforter too as it was awfully nipply last night. Almost turned on my fireplace too. It's supposed to be 20C/10C all week (+/-+ so that's not too bad but that's definitely quite cool in the evenings. I'm pretty stoked though. Got a whole heap of scrap wood I've been sitting on for the last 3 years and I'm going to burn it all in my new little firepit this fall. So looking forward to sitting out on some fall nights in a sweater having a few cocktails listening to music about fires whilst watching fire. Because I'm a firestarter, twisted firestarter....  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
2. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 2, 2017, 12:07 Cutter

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 10:48:
Why on earth would you ever put your PHONE NUMBER on a social media website???

Why would anyone vote for Trump? People are stupid.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 1, 2017, 20:32 Cutter

Juice and smoothies are a complete waste of money anyway.

News Comments > JCB Pioneer: Mars Early Access
1. Re: JCB Pioneer: Mars Early Access Sep 1, 2017, 20:22 Cutter

Member JVC VHS recorders?

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2017, 18:12 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 12:06:
Cutter wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 11:54:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 11:42:
Hey y'all. I'm looking for some glasses I can wear to magnify my monitor so I can put the text smaller and get more screen real estate.

Any suggestions?

Get glasses from eyebuydirect dawt com. I've bought 2 pairs from them so far and I'm super happy with them.

Sorry, I wasn't more precise in my issue: I don't wear glasses at all, don't have a prescription and don't really need one. But focusing on things close is getting more difficult now that my eyes are almost 50 years old. I can read my Kindle without reading glasses, but it's much easier and more relaxing to do so with reading glasses these days, so I do. So I was looking for something I could use with my monitor, as it's just out of range for reading glasses.

They have computer glasses that filter blue light. Or just get a pair of readers from a dollar store or drug store. Weakest ones should do you fine.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Character and CE Unveiled
8. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Character and CE Unveiled Sep 1, 2017, 18:10 Cutter

Bone color? Tee hee.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2017, 11:54 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 11:42:
Hey y'all. I'm looking for some glasses I can wear to magnify my monitor so I can put the text smaller and get more screen real estate.

Any suggestions?

Get glasses from eyebuydirect dawt com. I've bought 2 pairs from them so far and I'm super happy with them.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2017, 11:51 Cutter

There's a very slim chance the planets are habitable.

And they're 39 light years from earth. So what fuckin' good are they?

Can't wait to wear all white tomorrow!

News Comments > Destiny 2 Trailer
9. Re: Destiny 2 Trailer Sep 1, 2017, 11:45 Cutter

bigspender wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 04:44:
I really did not enjoy the beta. Their first few Halo games were far better. They had a tone, a palette and they were focused. The guns were fun.

Destiny 2 just had too much of everything. It was like a child attempting to cook. The intro was just explosions and yelling.

Story is completely ton deaf, going from silly funny to serious and back and forth.

There was also something really off with the performance - my frame counter said it was over 100fps most of the time, but it felt like 30fps the way things moved around and the way the mouse felt.

And the game-play was just boring, and unchallenging. The guns felt pretty average. Weirdly enough the pistols were the most powerful weapons?

Spot on assessment. Except performance was fine on my rig. And yeah, as a hunter I ended up just using pistols and sniper rifles. Gameplay is definitely all grindy meh, I concur.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 11:43 Cutter

Blackhawk wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 00:33:
Amazon's lawyers doubtlessly considered this kind of eventuality. In this case, it probably reads something like this: these were counterfeit glasses, therefore against Amazon's policies, which are made clear to third-party vendors. Through those policies, they took reasonable steps to avoid customers being subjected to counterfeit goods. They made a reasonable attempt to contact purchasers (the term 'reasonable' in this case being one that is almost certainly well-researched by Amazon's legal team), and are therefore not responsible.

IE - they sold them against our rules, therefore it is their fault.

It won't go anywhere. Which is a shame, as counterfeiting through Amazon has become a major, major issue. I won't buy shirts from them anymore after two out of two turned out to be scams.

Yes it will. It's known as "contributory negligence". Amazon holds some responsibility. How much will be determined by the courts.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 11:26 Cutter

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 01:05:
You post here so regularly that I just randomly assumed you would do so with a tablet at least SOME of the time But if not then that's fine too. But by phone? Amazon doesn't have my phone number.... what for? To call me? Like, a real person? From India? No thanks

And yeah, they really gotta do something against 3rd party counterfeit resellers. It's extremely hard to tell where something is coming from on Amazon. But at least in Germany they gotta take the thing back no questions asked if it's counterfeit.

Amazon most certainly has your phone number. And if you some inexplicable reason they didn't they could still easily contact you through your CC provider or bank.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 11:21 Cutter

While any investor-oriented business wants to reduce costs, there is of course another side to this story. In cases where large ISPs don't want to expand broadband access, many towns and cities have spent the last few decades exploring building their own broadband networks. But Comcast has lobbied for state laws across countless states that hamstring or ban these efforts. In other words: Comcast doesn't want to provide service to many of these areas, but doesn't want anybody else to, either.

So pull their business license. Any state can do that and immediately shut down said corporation. Don't permit them to do business in your state. That's all you have to do and they will be doing a 180 so fast it'll make your head spin. It's really that easy and it really demonstrates just how deep the politicians are in the pockets of these corps because they don't do that.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Sep 1, 2017, 11:14 Cutter

Throws shade? Fuck that expression really annoys me to no end. It's so stupid.

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Sep 1, 2017, 11:12 Cutter

Yeah but unlike Shit Shitberts people actually like Josh and are pulling for him.

News Comments > Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr Early Access
4. Re: Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr Early Access Sep 1, 2017, 11:08 Cutter

Wow that looks really nice.

26959 Comments. 1348 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo